PDA

View Full Version : Goals

Ozyhibby
13-03-2016, 10:29 PM
How do we solve this problem? Since Stubbs arrived he has not been able to get us scoring goals and shows no signs that he knows how to. I'm starting to lose faith that he has the ability to change things. We have a budget that dwarfs all but one team in our division and more than half the division above.
So far this season we are scoring 1.6 goals per game in the Scottish championship. That is nowhere near good enough.
As a comparison, Hearts are scoring 1.75 goals per game in the premier league.
This has been a problem since he arrived and given the players we have, I think the blame can only lie with the system we play and that comes down to Alan Stubbs.
If we are not promoted then obviously I think he should be sacked but even if we do go up I think questions need to be asked about whether he has what it takes to take us forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monts
13-03-2016, 10:40 PM
Pace and width

matty_f
13-03-2016, 10:44 PM
Not taking twenty minutes to put a ****ing cross in, and clearing the first man when you do put a ****ing cross in. For a start.
Also, shooting more often.

Midfield runners getting into the box.

And, as Bernz put, pace and width.

Captain Trips
13-03-2016, 10:53 PM
Not taking twenty minutes to put a ****ing cross in, and clearing the first man when you do put a ****ing cross in. For a start.

Indeed in plenty of good positions to get ball into box and it was not delivered. A player even half as good as Pat McGinlay would help.

Shrekko

No doubt about it.

This laboured tippy tippy build up allows the opposition to sit in, set up their banks of 4/5, and cope comfortably knowing we have no pace or real trickery coming forward and rely on our 2 full backs to provide most of the width. Our full backs are good defenders and tidy players but far too much is being asked of them coming forward.

We are as predictable a team as I've seen despite having very good players.

The fact that we allow a high percentage of opposition chances into our own net gives us a real double headache.

I'd like to see a decent target man who holds the ball in and brings midfielders into the game around the box and also gives us a threat when balls are crossed in. We always need to hit low crosses to out strikers hence a lot of them being blocked by the first man.

Ozyhibby

Do you think Stubbs is capable of fixing it? I'm not so sure now.
Play offs are looming and I feel that whoever we play will have a solid idea how to play against us.

matty_f
13-03-2016, 11:00 PM
Play offs are looming and I feel that whoever we play will have a solid idea how to play against us.

Nah. It's been an issue since last season. How many teams have we hammered?

If he could fix it he'd have done it by now.

We need a shed load of chances to score. Teams score against us with one or two chances.

Shrekko
13-03-2016, 11:00 PM

Agree- everyone knows how we're going to play and teams are now spotting the weaknesses they can exploit. We really need to find a plan B from somewhere. I'd like to see a back 3.

AFKA5814_Hibs
13-03-2016, 11:01 PM
43 goals in 27 league games in this league is really piss poor, especially given the attacking options we've had. Cummings, Stokes, Keatings, Malonga, Dagnall, El Alguai, Boyle. It's been said before but The Rangers and The Hertz have showed us how it should be done. We have to be more ruthless. In 2 seasons how many teams have we really ripped teams apart, once or twice? Not good enough.

Scottie
13-03-2016, 11:02 PM

Like you I'm no sure Stubbs is capable of fixing it. He seems unable to change things around at the right time when needed. Same old same old. That game today was crying out for Boyle's pace long before the 90 ith minute.

Tippy tappie pish and wham bam thank you ma'am we concede another.

Wednesday night is massive for AS and the team.

scooby
13-03-2016, 11:05 PM

I think we're far too predictable and the passing around the box lacks any real cutting edge.
Stokes has been a big disappointment for me and clearly doesn't work with Cummings.
I agree that pace and width are required to carve open defences who currently have us sussed.
Still can't believe we blew a massive opportunity again today.

Danderhall Hibs
13-03-2016, 11:06 PM
Nah. It's been an issue since last season. How many teams have we hammered?

If he could fix it he'd have done it by now.

We need a shed load of chances to score. Teams score against us with one or two chances.

:agree: you know I've been saying this for a long time now. Pishing about on the edge of the box for ages hoping it lands near Stevensons left foot so he can try and beat the first man.

Doesn't work.

matty_f
13-03-2016, 11:09 PM
:agree: you know I've been saying this for a long time now. Pishing about on the edge of the box for ages hoping it lands near Stevensons left foot so he can try and beat the first man.

Doesn't work.

Got loads of time for Stevenson, but he doesn't contribute effectively enough going forward.

Danderhall Hibs
13-03-2016, 11:13 PM
Got loads of time for Stevenson, but he doesn't contribute effectively enough going forward.

Stevenson as a LB in a back 4 I'd be happy with. I'm definitely not happy as him being the main focus of our attack.

pentlando
13-03-2016, 11:15 PM
Pace and width

This

Shrekko
13-03-2016, 11:31 PM
Stevenson as a LB in a back 4 I'd be happy with. I'm definitely not happy as him being the main focus of our attack.
He is left back in a back 4 though!

It begs the question why we rely so much on him to give us attacking width.

He's an excellent tidy defensive full-back and that's what his role should be.

Danderhall Hibs
14-03-2016, 12:54 AM
He is left back in a back 4 though!

It begs the question why we rely so much on him to give us attacking width.

He's an excellent tidy defensive full-back and that's what his role should be.

But because if the diamond we rely on him to get forward and get crosses in - he can't even for that in the warm up when he has no pressure on him!

We need to play a flat 4 in midfield so we can get a bit width with Stevenson as support to an attacking player rather than being the focal point.

Nicho87
14-03-2016, 01:42 AM
You can have 7 strikers in a squad but when they get no decent service you mays well have none. Malonga was well and truly missed amd covered a few cracks its appears now as he did really pull a goal out of nowhere and pick the pall up and dribble. Lazy yes but much more effective than stokes and paird with jc very dangerous. Bad bad decision letting him leave early.

Steve-O
14-03-2016, 02:15 AM
We also seen incapable of getting decent strikes when we do have a chance. How many were scuffed or very wayward today? Service isn't amazing but we do seem to always have plenty efforts on goal. We just seem to only ever end up with 0-2 goals! We got 3 v Alloa but stats suggested we needed 20+ efforts to get there.

macca70
14-03-2016, 02:23 AM
Cause 'The Diamond' is too narrow, we need a conventional 442 but wtf do I know!!!

We need wingers to go past folk and get
In behind.

Big_Franck
14-03-2016, 07:03 AM
I said last summer that if we were to win the league we needed more goals from midfield and our wide players. The lack of goals from midfield was not addressed by Stubbs and now we are in the situation where if our two strikers don't perform we don't look a threat going forward.

As good as some of them are on the ball McGinn, McGeouch, Bartley, Thomson, Fyvie and Henderson will get you about a dozen goals a season between them. Not enough if you want to be successful IMO.

LithgaeHibby
14-03-2016, 07:55 AM
I would give Farid a run in the team now. For too many games he's been an unused sub. Time to let Cummings give way and try to fight for his place back. At least Farid is capable of winning balls in the air, even though I don't want to see high balls punted up to the forwards like we saw yesterday in the last 20 minutes.

Ozyhibby
14-03-2016, 08:06 AM
I would give Farid a run in the team now. For too many games he's been an unused sub. Time to let Cummings give way and try to fight for his place back. At least Farid is capable of winning balls in the air, even though I don't want to see high balls punted up to the forwards like we saw yesterday in the last 20 minutes.

I don't think it's the personnel, it's the slow one paced system we play. So easy to defend against.

1987kev
14-03-2016, 10:37 AM

I can't stand watching Stevenson anymore technically the lad is so bad it's unbelievable

Northernhibee
14-03-2016, 10:38 AM
I can't stand watching Stevenson anymore technically the lad is so bad it's unbelievable

Now that's blatantly garbage. He has one of the best first touches in the team.

1987kev
14-03-2016, 10:41 AM
Now that's blatantly garbage. He has one of the best first touches in the team.

He canny take a player on or cross a ball

Northernhibee
14-03-2016, 10:43 AM
He canny take a player on or cross a ball

Again, garbage.

1987kev
14-03-2016, 10:46 AM
Again, garbage.

My opinion is he's very average at best

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2016, 10:51 AM
Pace and width don't guarantee anything, every system can fail if you play it badly. Plenty of examples of top teams playing without wingers, some of the best teams every in fact.

Hibee_Craig7062
14-03-2016, 10:53 AM
My opinion is he's very average at best
We will be in the minority on here but I agree. The kind of player we have to move on and look to improve on. A player who gives his all yes but so would I. Doesn't make me good enough to play for hibs though

1987kev
14-03-2016, 10:56 AM
We will be in the minority on here but I agree. The kind of player we have to move on and look to improve on. A player who gives his all yes but so would I. Doesn't make me good enough to play for hibs though

Exactly how he still a hibs player is unbelievable

Smartie
14-03-2016, 10:59 AM

He offers enough to be a supporting full back but not our principal attacking threat out wide.

The diamond demands too much of him (and Gray).

I like him as a player, really like him (as with Gray) but I can't ignore the fact that we're not getting what we need from that part of the team right now.

CorrieHibs
14-03-2016, 11:06 AM
Pace and width won it for them last season and the same for Rangers this season. We're so pedestrian.

We don't score enough from midfield. Holt, is pretty consistent chipping in with goals. We just don't have that.

We need to change it quickly or it will be too late.

hibee-boys
14-03-2016, 11:13 AM
He offers enough to be a supporting full back but not our principal attacking threat out wide.

The diamond demands too much of him (and Gray).

I like him as a player, really like him (as with Gray) but I can't ignore the fact that we're not getting what we need from that part of the team right now.

Yip, I like both Gray and Stevenson but they're are good solid full backs, they don't have the skills to operate as an attacking full back however that's not their fault. They are being asked to fulfil a role which is beyond them and the fault for that lies with the manager. Surely we should employ tactics based on the strengths of our players not shoehorn a style of play into a team without the necessary skills to make it effective. Gray/Stevenson in a flat back 4 yes, using them as the only attacking wide option no......just NO!!!!