PDA

View Full Version : Onwards and upwards

lord bunberry
13-03-2016, 07:50 PM
I'm just home from the game and I'm obviously gutted, but it's not the end of the world. I had a great day and met some lovely people and I thought we were robbed today. I've left many a final feeling like the team let us down, but that wasn't the case today.
We need to move on and pick ourselves up for Wednesday night and be proud of this team we have.
ggtth.

B.H.F.C
13-03-2016, 07:52 PM
I feel more let down than ever.

We will never have a better chance to win a cup final. Ever.

lord bunberry
13-03-2016, 07:54 PM
I feel more let down than ever.

We will never have a better chance to win a cup final. Ever.
That's not true, we've had better chances than today. We were absolutely mugged today.

Stevie Reid
13-03-2016, 08:00 PM
We definitely showed up today, and thought we were pretty hard done by. County won, which is all that matters at the end of the day, but we certainly didn't choke, like we did in the Livi final.

lord bunberry
13-03-2016, 08:02 PM
We definitely showed up today, and thought we were pretty hard done by. County won, which is all that matters at the end of the day, but we certainly didn't choke, like we did in the Livi final.
That's exactly how I saw it. It was hugely disappointing, but we didn't bottle it.

Hibernia&Alba
13-03-2016, 08:03 PM
That's not true, we've had better chances than today. We were absolutely mugged today.

By whom, LB? :confused:

B.H.F.C
13-03-2016, 08:03 PM

We weren't mugged. We gave them a couple of gift wrapped presents.

When will we ever play as poor a side as that in a cup final again?

emerald green
13-03-2016, 08:06 PM

Which ones was that? The only other one I can think of apart from today was Livingston in 2004.

lord bunberry
13-03-2016, 08:12 PM
By whom, LB? :confused:
By RossCounty. For the vast majority of the game we were the better team. They were poor and will probably go down as the worst team to lift a major trophy. We should have won today, but we didn't, but we didn't lose because we bottled it or we didn't turn up.

familyman
13-03-2016, 08:14 PM
I'm just home from the game and I'm obviously gutted, but it's not the end of the world. I had a great day and met some lovely people and I thought we were robbed today. I've left many a final feeling like the team let us down, but that wasn't the case today.
We need to move on and pick ourselves up for Wednesday night and be proud of this team we have.
ggtth.

We need to finish 2nd and get our act together that is the priority now, the Cup is not so vital now ...we can start by sorting out that chronic lack of fire power.If we had sorted that just maybe we could have got away the defensive lapses today....

lord bunberry
13-03-2016, 08:14 PM
Which ones was that? The only other one I can think of apart from today was Livingston in 2004.
Livvy was one, but I would say last season in the Scottish cup we had our best chance in my lifetime to win it and we blew it. Beat Falkirk and we get Inverness in the final. I don't feel we blew it today.

Hibernia&Alba
13-03-2016, 08:15 PM
By RossCounty. For the vast majority of the game we were the better team. They were poor and will probably go down as the worst team to lift a major trophy. We should have won today, but we didn't, but we didn't lose because we bottled it or we didn't turn up.

Yet we couldn't beat 'the worst team to lift a major trophy'? Sounds like less of a mugging and more a self-inflicted wound. Two terrible goals to concede and not enough going forward to compensate for it. Not having a go at you, but I'm sick of losing these games.

lord bunberry
13-03-2016, 08:17 PM
We need to finish 2nd and get our act together that is the priority now, the Cup is not so vital now ...we can start by sorting out that chronic lack of fire power.If we had sorted that just maybe we could have got away the defensive lapses today....
I agree with that.

Hibernia&Alba
13-03-2016, 08:18 PM
Livvy was one, but I would say last season in the Scottish cup we had our best chance in my lifetime to win it and we blew it. Beat Falkirk and we get Inverness in the final. I don't feel we blew it today.

Of course we blew it. They got the trophy, we didn't. We should have won it by half time but couldn't.

TheMentalHibees
13-03-2016, 08:18 PM
We lost today because of our inability to turn possession into goals. It's been demonstrated over the course of the season that it matters diddly squat how much of the ball you have if you're no sticking it in the net. The stats aren't pretty reading but it's a familiar story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
13-03-2016, 08:21 PM
Yet we couldn't beat 'the worst team to lift a major trophy'? Sounds like less of a mugging and more a self-inflicted wound. Two terrible goals to concede and not enough going forward to compensate for it. Not having a go at you, but I'm sick of losing these games.
I'm sick of losing these games as well. I'm sick of turning up with 30k other hibees and losing to a tin pot team with no fans and no history. My point is that we didn't lose today because we bottled it or didn't turn up, we lost because they capitalised on 2 errors. We should have won that game today.

Gerard
13-03-2016, 08:25 PM
The players and the management team did their best to win. The fans cheered them on and were vocal in supporting them. On another day we would have taken our chances and won the game. Today was not our day to win the LC again. If the team and MT learn from today's defeat and apply this knowledge in another game and win it then today will have been a valuable experience for them. It is easy to enjoy success when it happens. To learn from failure and to then be successful is the challenge that is not easy. The season is not over as we have a QF game in the SC to play in and the chance to be promoted this season. As the 12th man we can help the team make these things happen:thumbsup:

Col2
13-03-2016, 08:33 PM
The players and the management team did their best to win. The fans cheered them on and were vocal in supporting them. On another day we would have taken our chances and won the game. Today was not our day to win the LC again. If the team and MT learn from today's defeat and apply this knowledge in another game and win it then today will have been a valuable experience for them. It is easy to enjoy success when it happens. To learn from failure and to then be successful is the challenge that is not easy. The season is not over as we have a QF game in the SC to play in and the chance to be promoted this season. As the 12th man we can help the team make these things happen:thumbsup:

Wonderful post. I am in the "world coming to an end" camp just now but if this is how things pan out the. It WILL have been worth it.

JennaFletcher
13-03-2016, 08:34 PM

Here, here! Great post.

Dashing Bob S
13-03-2016, 08:46 PM
Best thread on here. We were still playing against a side, though not great, still regularly play at a higher level than us. It was a tense, tight game and at 1-1 the next goal was going to win it. It could have gone our way, but it didn't.

A few weeks earlier, with that extra bit of confidence, we'd probably have got it done.

I know people are clinging to all sorts of conspiracies: Stokes/Thomson have destablised us and lowered morale etc

I think other clubs have just sussed us out and altered their game plan. County stifling us in the midfield with Irvine right on McGinn, is one thing, as was Foster and Gardyne running at Stevenson and Gray, who are fine going forward but not so great going back, particularly after a long season. Stubbs therefore, needs to adjust accordingly.

Green Man
13-03-2016, 09:36 PM

Gerard, over all the years I've been reading .net, your posts are always considered and sensible. Well said sir.