PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Delboy4
13-03-2016, 05:17 PM
Just want to say that you got it horribly wrong today Stubbs..!

LONG BALL????? Never played it all season
STOKES & CUMMINGS??? Don't go

Heisenberg
13-03-2016, 05:19 PM
You'll get a lot of stick for having the audacity to question him but it's quite correct. He has to deliver promotion at the end of this season or he's done. Three seasons in the championship with these resources would be abysmal.

cleanyman
13-03-2016, 05:20 PM
Under pressure

Pretty Boy
13-03-2016, 05:23 PM
He's been well backed and thus far his acheivements are a defeat in a cup final, finishing 20 points behind Hearts and getting papped out in the 1st round of the play offs (or 1st round we entered) and looking likely to finish about the same behind Rangers with the play offs to try to negotiate again.

He's got a hell of a lot to prove in the coming weeks imo. He talks a great game, time for him to back it up.

keep the faith
Under pressure

Not as far I'm I'm concerned.

Dan Sarf
Not as far I'm I'm concerned.

Me neither.

The Tubs
13-03-2016, 05:24 PM
Delboy's got a point. And he looked the least experienced of the two managers in the pre-match interviews.

His job is to get us up - though the cup would help too. I imagine that, in case of defeat today, he'd have exactly what he needs to say to each player planned in his head.

DH1875
13-03-2016, 05:27 PM
You'll get a lot of stick for having the audacity to question him but it's quite correct. He has to deliver promotion at the end of this season or he's done. Three seasons in the championship with these resources would be abysmal.

Wouldn't quite go that far BUT, if Falkirk were to win promotion at our expense then it could be game over.

calumhibee1
13-03-2016, 05:27 PM
If we go up then the cups will be forgotten. However if we don't go up this year then his position needs considered. Having a budget 5-10 times the size of everyone in this league (other than Rangers) and not going up would be a total failure, just as it was last year.

hfcok
13-03-2016, 05:28 PM

So true with Stokes,hes making Cummings look so ordinary,ever since Stokes arrived Hibs have lost sparkle.
We had it against Alloa when hes was not playing,and scored 3 goals as well.

Lee Marvin
13-03-2016, 05:29 PM
Wouldn't quite go that far BUT, if Falkirk were to win promotion at our expense then it could be game over.

And so it should be if this happens

KeithTheHibby
13-03-2016, 05:30 PM
His worst decision is letting Malonga leave, criminal decision.

Gmack7
13-03-2016, 05:36 PM
Diamond =pish

hfcok
13-03-2016, 05:43 PM
His worst decision is letting Malonga leave, criminal decision.

Malonga is so so missed,he brought the other forward players into the game,could not believe we let him go,he should have been first pick every game.

Col2
13-03-2016, 05:43 PM
He needs to deliver promotion. No question. He won't have a league cup to balance out non promotion and the Scottish cup is just a waste of time as it will not happen.

southern hibby
13-03-2016, 05:44 PM
Said in another thread I'm baffled by his substitutions. Bartley off for a striker when in the last 15 min Ross County ran at us and was getting space.

Game was crying out for width and speed yet Boyle kept bench warm till 2-1 down. This has not been just this game but happened all season with substitutions. Really want AS to win us something but he now has to start showing more starting with a balanced midfield and being able to make substitutions.

GGTTH

highland hibbee
13-03-2016, 05:44 PM
And we have a massive game on Wednesday, win that and we push on. Lose it and I can't see the team recovering to win Promotion. Where we really lack is a goal scoring midfielder, Pat McGinlay type, need someone to come onto the second balls, to take a gamble on a bounce or sclaffed clearance. Who was the last midfielder to score 12-15 goals in a season?

Stokesy's on fire
13-03-2016, 05:48 PM
He has to deliver promotion in my opinion he fails to do that then he must walk

thebausburst
13-03-2016, 05:50 PM
He needs to deliver promotion. No question. He won't have a league cup to balance out non promotion and the Scottish cup is just a waste of time as it will not happen.
Agree 100%, anyone thinking we have a chance of the Scottish is seriously deluded!

Del Boy
13-03-2016, 05:52 PM
Anier would have been a better option than Stokes FFS!

I like Stubbs, I like the way he has us playing and I like the majority of his signings BUT if we don't go up this season then I'm afraid we should be saying thanks for your time.

Danderhall Hibs
13-03-2016, 05:57 PM
I hope the release of the freescoring Malonga (6 goals in all competitions) doesn't become the reason...

hibsbollah
13-03-2016, 05:58 PM
Under pressure

Not in my eyes. He can't convert all the chances we're squandering, that's down to the players.

rcarter1
13-03-2016, 06:02 PM
Agree 100%, anyone thinking we have a chance of the Scottish is seriously deluded!

Oddly enough I think we do have a shot at the Scottish. I have criticised Stubbs from early last season for us not scoring goals in the Championship. But, if we were to beat ICT (hardly impossible), then Dundee United are also beatable. We will then be forced to go defensive against either of the dynamic duo we get in the Final, and its on the break were we actually stand a chance. Cummings and Stokes and Keatings can put chances away. Its just that we don't seem to create many for them against the kind of (defensive) teams were are facing.

Today stinks, and Stubbs has to address our tactics vs the defensive teams. Its the playoffs that concern me given that all the teams we play will probably go defensive.

Andy74
13-03-2016, 06:05 PM
I hope the release of the freescoring Malonga (6 goals in all competitions) doesn't become the reason...

Malonga brought a bit more than that though.

Argylehibby
13-03-2016, 06:13 PM
Why bring on Boyle then thump high balls into the box? If you're going route 1 put someone in there to win the header!

Glory Lurker
13-03-2016, 06:19 PM
No need for this thread. Stubbs can only be judged at the end of the season. Making plans for what happens in it doesn't work out is completely unnecessary.

sleeping giant
13-03-2016, 06:21 PM
Managers are only as good as the results .
He will be gone if we don't get promoted and rightly so.

Potty 86's mate
13-03-2016, 06:21 PM

Today was a blip I'm sure of that but I have to agree that Stubbs lost it for us.

ive never been his biggest fan and feel that he does a lot of talking but not much else. If we don't achieve promotion, it will be an epic failure.

Boyle89
13-03-2016, 06:23 PM
Why bring on Boyle then thump high balls into the box? If you're going route 1 put someone in there to win the header!

He moved fonts upfront which makes sense IMO if we score we take it to extra time and start again. Some poor performances today. Not Stubbs fault but really wanted us to go 352.

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-03-2016, 06:27 PM

That's what Farid is for.

eastmainsmsh
13-03-2016, 06:28 PM
Feel sorry for Boyle

Nicho87
13-03-2016, 06:30 PM
Stubbs failed against falkirk last year now today he has to take part blame sorry happy clappers

Leith Green
13-03-2016, 06:35 PM
Said in another thread I'm baffled by his substitutions. Bartley off for a striker when in the last 15 min Ross County ran at us and was getting space.

Game was crying out for width and speed yet Boyle kept bench warm till 2-1 down. This has not been just this game but happened all season with substitutions. Really want AS to win us something but he now has to start showing more starting with a balanced midfield and being able to make substitutions.

GGTTH

Was thomson that went off for keatings not bartley.. Boyle came on for bartley in stoppage time

blackpoolhibs
13-03-2016, 06:40 PM
Once again when we need a manager to see what problems are staring him in the face, he fails to address it and we get a result he gets all too many times when the pressure is on.

If we dont get up he should be punted straight away.

Dom'sFirstTouch
13-03-2016, 06:41 PM
Stubbs' decisions are always going to be questioned after we lose a big game, and there's certainly scope to debate the merits of some today.

The main reason we lost, however, was surely the shambolic defending which resulted in two effectively open goals being laid on for County by our own players.

Eyrie
13-03-2016, 06:45 PM
The biggest problem with Stubbs is his inflexibility.

He sticks with his 3-5-2 even when it's clearly not working, and doesn't play with pace or width (except against Alloa, and look what happened). He's also not good at adapting during a game, with subs being made late and generally on a like-for-like basis unless he wants an extra centre half for the last five minutes to defend a one goal lead.

What I will say in his defence is that it's not his fault when players can't convert the half chances that are eventually created by his diamond of slow steady possession football. We have two proven finishers, neither of whom is doing that job right now. Cummings has gone off the boil, and Stokes has had enough chances that it can't simply be rust any more.

chrisski33
13-03-2016, 06:45 PM
Stubbs is seen aas great when we are winning but when we aint folk jump on his back. Id really question stokes and his move to us, i reckon keatings and farid should start on wed

Gerard
13-03-2016, 06:49 PM
There is a kind of magic in the Cup. It does not respect the big teams and that is what makes the cup a great thing to win. There is no team that can expect to win. We are not exempt from failure. When we win we will enjoy the moment all the more.

Leith Green
13-03-2016, 06:51 PM
Stubbs is seen aas great when we are winning but when we aint folk jump on his back. Id really question stokes and his move to us, i reckon keatings and farid should start on wed

Thought keatings and stokes showed enough against inverness to have started today. Thomson shouldnt have started, bartley in there with mcginn boyle and henderson would have suited the bigger pitch.

S4uzee
13-03-2016, 06:53 PM
There is a kind of magic in the Cup. It does not respect the big teams and that is what makes the cup a great thing to win. There is no team that can expect to win. We are not exempt from failure. When we win we will enjoy the moment all the more.
A kind of magic that gives us an utterly horrific record in finals?

davidw
13-03-2016, 07:05 PM

That's the spirit....

Jesus wept.

truehibernian
13-03-2016, 07:05 PM
Stubbs failed against falkirk last year now today he has to take part blame sorry happy clappers

Score lines indeed say two defeats but in both games Hibs have deserved more - it's football sadly - but Stubbs can't be blamed for the defeats. We've all got opinions on team formations but v Falkirk and v County we've been unlucky.

Farid's header, Fyvie off the post, Scott Allan off the bar, Dom forcing nearpost save.....today the ball just wouldn't drop kindly either. Effort and skill is there but at Hampden of late Lady Luck is deserting us.

I just hope the players recall that feeling seeing 30,000 Hibs fans as they ran out today - and want another chance to get back there this season. They can beat Caley and do just that.

MWHIBBIES
13-03-2016, 07:07 PM
Look at our winner in the semi, we don't play long balls to win the flick ons, we play them to win the second balls and attack from there. Only a complete and utter moron would think Stubbs set the team up to punt it long today.

We also miss Fyvie and McGeouch who take the ball off the back 4 so we don't need to play it long as much.

davidw
13-03-2016, 07:13 PM
Score lines indeed say two defeats but in both games Hibs have deserved more - it's football sadly - but Stubbs can't be blamed for the defeats. We've all got opinions on team formations but v Falkirk and v County we've been unlucky.

Farid's header, Fyvie off the post, Scott Allan off the bar, Dom forcing nearpost save.....today the ball just wouldn't drop kindly either. Effort and skill is there but at Hampden of late Lady Luck is deserting us.

I just hope the players recall that feeling seeing 30,000 Hibs fans as they ran out today - and want another chance to get back there this season. They can beat Caley and do just that.

Although I sort of agree with you, I think it's also the case that you can only be "unlucky" so many times. How many times in the last two years have there been games where (a) we've missed chances and (b) lost stupid goals? Or indeed in the last 10 days? NB I'm a big Stubbs fan, but it's beginning to be more than just 'unlucky'. The missed chances only matter if you don't give away stupid goals. If we could defend properly, we would have won 1-0 today, and 2-0 away at Dumbarton, and not lost at Ibrox... and maybe have won last year's semi in extra time or whatever. The list is endless. But we are simply not good enough defensively, and he needs to sort that out pronto.

HibeeDaz6270
13-03-2016, 07:14 PM
Not in my eyes. He can't convert all the chances we're squandering, that's down to the players.

I dont think we create enough. We are quite pedestrian with a lot of sideways passing. The easiest thing for a defender is if a team plays in front of you, and that is exactly what we do. We lack width, a real winger.

If we fail to get promoted, Stubbs will be under pressure and rightly so. Failure to get promoted 2 seasons in a row from the championship is simply not good enough. A cup win would have made that difficult, but No cups and no promotion would be a hugely disappointing season.

Lee
13-03-2016, 07:17 PM
Me neither.

IF we don't get promoted (and I still think we will, BTW) he should be under pressure, sorry.

Questions have to be asked if we don't get promotion this season....3 seasons in the championship would equal failure in my eyes.

truehibernian
13-03-2016, 07:19 PM
Although I sort of agree with you, I think it's also the case that you can only be "unlucky" so many times. How many times in the last two years have there been games where (a) we've missed chances and (b) lost stupid goals? Or indeed in the last 10 days? NB I'm a big Stubbs fan, but it's beginning to be more than just 'unlucky'. The missed chances only matter if you don't give away stupid goals. If we could defend properly, we would have won 1-0 today, and 2-0 away at Dumbarton, and not lost at Ibrox... and maybe have won last year's semi in extra time or whatever. The list is endless. But we are simply not good enough defensively, and he needs to sort that out pronto.

We conceded 1 goal in 5 games leading to the final though - the last fortnight we've really missed Hanlon.

For the play offs we need Fyvie, Hanlon and McGeouch all fit, simple as that. The midweek game I'd love to win but I want promotion, cups aren't a huge thing for me at present. Hibs need out of this league.

Gerard
13-03-2016, 07:25 PM
A kind of magic that gives us an utterly horrific record in finals?
Yes compared to teams like Hearts, Aberdeen, Celtic and New Rangers. Dundee Utd have a poor ratio of cup victories. Some clubs win cups and their fans see it as another number. No more than that. How you win as well and how you accept failure is an important way of building character. It is easy to enjoy winning. When you do not win the challenge is to not lose interest and do everything you can to be win when the next opportunity occurs. The season is far from over for our team. We are still in the Scottish Cup and have a very good chance of being promoted to the SPL this year. IMO this game is not for the fainthearted:wink:

tinnyhibby
13-03-2016, 07:29 PM
He has to deliver promotion in my opinion he fails to do that then he must walk
And be replaced by?

That would put things back to square one yet again.

Constantly changing managers is a huge mistake.

Badge
13-03-2016, 07:31 PM
How was it 3-5-2 today?

B.H.F.C
13-03-2016, 07:31 PM
And be replaced by?

That would put things back to square one yet again.

Constantly changing managers is a huge mistake.

That's a question for the board. IF he fails, we can't just stick with him on the basis that we aren't entirely sure who to replace him with.

BoomtownHibees
13-03-2016, 07:37 PM

He sticks with his 3-5-2 even when it's clearly not working, and doesn't play with pace or width (except against Alloa, and look what happened). He's also not good at adapting during a game, with subs being made late and generally on a like-for-like basis unless he wants an extra centre half for the last five minutes to defend a one goal lead.

What I will say in his defence is that it's not his fault when players can't convert the half chances that are eventually created by his diamond of slow steady possession football. We have two proven finishers, neither of whom is doing that job right now. Cummings has gone off the boil, and Stokes has had enough chances that it can't simply be rust any more.

When has he stuck to a 352?

Badge
13-03-2016, 07:37 PM
Eyrie-: unless I've missed something what makes you say it was 3-5-2 today. I had a few drinks before the game but was never 3-5-2 in a million years. What did I miss?

hibsbollah
13-03-2016, 07:38 PM
Yes compared to teams like Hearts, Aberdeen, Celtic and New Rangers. Dundee Utd have a poor ration of cup victories. Some clubs win cups and their fans see it as another number. No more than that. How you win as well and how you accept failure is an important way of building character. It is easy to enjoy winning. When you do not win the challenge is to not lose interest and do everything you can to be win when the next opportunity occurs. The season is far from over for our team. We are still in the Scottish Cup and have a very good chance of being promoted to the SPL this year. IMO this game is not for the fainthearted:wink:

Very sensible, as usual:aok::aok:

Leith Green
13-03-2016, 07:39 PM
How was it 3-5-2 today?

Was the same ****ty 4 in a diamond that leaves us well exposed on the counter attack.. Stubbs obviously see something in it that most dont..

Badge
13-03-2016, 07:41 PM
Was the same ****ty 4 in a diamond that leaves us well exposed on the counter attack.. Stubbs obviously see something in it that most dont..
I'd go along with that but the suggestion it was 3-5-2 has got me a bit confused.

Bristolhibby
13-03-2016, 07:43 PM

We battered them all day today.

They "stuck it in the onion net", twice as much as us.

Literally 90 seconds and we'd be talking about ET.

IMHO the prize is promotion, anything else is a (welcome) distraction.

J

Hibernia&Alba
13-03-2016, 07:45 PM
Under pressure

There should always be pressure at a club likes Hibs. As one of the biggest clubs in Scotland, there must be pressure at all times in relation to results and performances. I think Stubbs has done a terrific job hitherto. He inherited a total shambles; a club in freefall, and there's no question things look much brighter than when he arrived. I will say for the thousandth time we were relegated at the worst possible time, with both Hearts and Rangers in the Championship, and it was always going to be a big ask to get back to the SPL quickly. So, could we give him a third season if need be? IMHO, yes, he's earned it. Anyway, that's a debate for another day. I still think we'll finish second and have a very strong chance of promotion, then all this talk is hypothetical.

proud_and_green
13-03-2016, 07:46 PM
Stubbs' decisions are always going to be questioned after we lose a big game, and there's certainly scope to debate the merits of some today.

The main reason we lost, however, was surely the shambolic defending which resulted in two effectively open goals being laid on for County by our own players.

Defending was poor - particularly Fontaine - but those goals were lost further up the field than the defence. For the first midfield lost the ball through a bad pass, for the second ball lost around RC box and break allowed freedom to move. As soon as they broke I knew they were going to score - call it intuition or just many years of watching Hibs - but they made the best of their chances - we had 9 corners and 8 shots on target I would have thought we should be converting at least 3 out of those with the strike force we have!

But the fact is we have been poor for quite a number of weeks even before the Morton game and I think that has to be down to the way the team is set up.

Super Leigh
13-03-2016, 07:48 PM
I don't know what to think of Stubbs to be honest.

On the one hand, he's proven himself to be a decent coach with a good philosophy and an ability to spot a talented player.

On the other hand, in almost every big/important game I've watched his tactics fail miserably. I'm not sure you could even say there's any tactics at all.

Today was not the first time a game has run away from us and dare I say it won't be the last. It seems to be a recurring theme with Stubbs that we come out all attack in the first half and then in the second half we run out of ideas and fade away. It certainly happened today. And I can only blame Stubbs for that. He has enough quality on that bench to make a change to the game and he can't do it.

We looked good in the first half. We had more of the ball and created all the chances. Then we lost a silly goal. No bother, we upped our game
and scored an equaliser right on half time to head in at the break on the front foot. At this point there was really only one team in the game, and only one team who looked like winning.

The real problems began in the second half. Ross County, who couldn't really have played much worse in the first half, were much more direct and players such as Schalk and Gardyne were making dangerous runs from deep. They really exploited our weakness in the wide areas in that second half, especially the space in behind Gray. It was like Jim MacIntyre had torn into them at halftime, and their game plan changed.

Conversely, it felt as if our team talk had gone along the lines of "more of the same lads". The players didn't know what to do. Then we reverted to long balls.
All this happening right in front of Stubbs' eyes and yet he was still incapable of changing the course of events.

59 minutes on the clock - what does MacIntyre do? He takes of their top scorer, their "star man" as he was being touted on the radio, because he was having a poor game. What does Stubbs do?. Nothing, sticks with Cummings and Stokes who by this point were ineffectual.

We have no width, which causes our strikers to drift wide into the corners to get the ball. How are we supposed to score goals when our strikers are away out dancing with the corner flag? Cummings was decent in the first half but disappeared in the second half while Stokes seems to have lost his finishing touch in front of goal. It's like he has forgotten how to shoot since he went to Celtic. McGinn didn't see a lot of the ball in the second half either, and I don't think we needed Bartley and Thomson for as long as we did.

Regardless of all this, however, at no point could you say Ross County were the better team and that they deserved it. But when you don't take your chances, don't react to the flow of the match and don't prevent sloppy defensive errors, what can you really expect Stubbs?

Overall a very disappointing day and I can only stand as one of many thousands of Hibs fans who must have been feeling the same "here we go again, Hibs" sinking feeling that I was overcome with when that 2nd goal went in. The worst thing is, I can't even say it surprises me anymore.

I'm starting to really appreciate that 2007 Cup Win because these things really do come few and far between for us.

For Stubbs, it promotion or bust for me. Can't possibly have a 3rd season in the second tier given the size and potential this club has. We can do better.

CapitalGreen
13-03-2016, 07:48 PM
I wish he'd gone with 3 at the back!

Badge
13-03-2016, 07:52 PM
I wish he'd gone with 3 at the back!
So do I, but we didn't at the game I was at. Only change was gunnarson for thomsom

MWHIBBIES
13-03-2016, 07:54 PM
I don't know what to think of Stubbs to be honest.

On the one hand, he's proven himself to be a decent coach with a good philosophy and an ability to spot a talented player.

On the other hand, in almost every big/important game I've watched his tactics fail miserably. I'm not sure you could even say there's any tactics at all.

Today was not the first time a game has run away from us and dare I say it won't be the last. It seems to be a recurring theme with Stubbs that we come out all attack in the first half and then in the second half we run out of ideas and fade away. It certainly happened today. And I can only blame Stubbs for that. He has enough quality on that bench to make a change to the game and he can't do it.

We looked good in the first half. We had more of the ball and created all the chances. Then we lost a silly goal. No bother, we upped our game
and scored an equaliser right on half time to head in at the break on the front foot. At this point there was really only one team in the game, and only one team who looked like winning.

The real problems began in the second half. Ross County, who couldn't really have played much worse in the first half, were much more direct and players such as Schalk and Gardyne were making dangerous runs from deep. They really exploited our weakness in the wide areas in that second half, especially the space in behind Gray. It was like Jim MacIntyre had torn into them at halftime, and their game plan changed.

Conversely, it felt as if our team talk had gone along the lines of "more of the same lads". The players didn't know what to do. Then we reverted to long balls.
All this happening right in front of Stubbs' eyes and yet he was still incapable of changing the course of events.

59 minutes on the clock - what does MacIntyre do? He takes of their top scorer, their "star man" as he was being touted on the radio, because he was having a poor game. What does Stubbs do?. Nothing, sticks with Cummings and Stokes who by this point were ineffectual.

We have no width, which causes our strikers to drift wide into the corners to get the ball. How are we supposed to score goals when our strikers are away out dancing with the corner flag? Cummings was decent in the first half but disappeared in the second half while Stokes seems to have lost his finishing touch in front of goal. It's like he has forgotten how to shoot since he went to Celtic. McGinn didn't see a lot of the ball in the second half either, and I don't think we needed Bartley and Thomson for as long as we did.

Regardless of all this, however, at no point could you say Ross County were the better team and that they deserved it. But when you don't take your chances, don't react to the flow of the match and don't prevent sloppy defensive errors, what can you really expect Stubbs?

Overall a very disappointing day and I can only stand as one of many thousands of Hibs fans who must have been feeling the same "here we go again, Hibs" sinking feeling that I was overcome with when that 2nd goal went in. The worst thing is, I can't even say it surprises me anymore.

I'm starting to really appreciate that 2007 Cup Win because these things really do come few and far between for us.

For Stubbs, it promotion or bust for me. Can't possibly have a 3rd season in the second tier given the size and potential this club has. We can do better.That isn't even close to true.

B.H.F.C
13-03-2016, 08:00 PM
That isn't even close to true.

Whether tactical or whatever, we still lose too many of the big important games. And that is true.

Off the top of my head, playoffs, ibrox, semi final v Falkirk and today. And it feels worse every time.

Super Leigh
13-03-2016, 08:05 PM

In what sense?

The biggest games we've played under Stubbs are the promotion playoff v Rangers, the Scottish Cup Semi v Falkirk and the League Cup Final today and we lost all of them.

Badge
13-03-2016, 08:17 PM

Yes it is

Captain Trips
13-03-2016, 08:23 PM
Weeks and weeks of possession with nowt, fair enough signing Stokes on paper but he has not delivered. Wrong forward line today, players making the wrong choices when it counts. Got sick of hearing John McGinn sing to be honest as Bartley was only one I rated today.

Way way to often are we getting FA for our possession, really pissed off at team today.

H18 SFR
13-03-2016, 08:29 PM
I played it down at the time, I wish Stubbs hadn't discussed a treble in any way at all - I'm aware at no point did he say we would win it, but with hindsight, since that particular day the performance levels have plummeted.

Hibby 2005
The starting line-up was wrong in my opinion as there was no need for Bartley and Thompson in the same midfield. Gunnarson should have played and Stubbs needed to change things earlier in the 2nd half but he didn't.

Hiber-nation
That Ross Co defence would have been toiling if exposed to some pace but he refused to bring Boyle on until they scored. Couldn't quite believe what I was seeing. Stubbs was hoping for something to happen and coulnd't bring himself to take Stokes off despite him blowing out of his erse after an hour yet again.

Pete
13-03-2016, 08:30 PM
The starting line-up was wrong in my opinion as there was no need for Bartley and Thompson in the same midfield. Gunnarson should have played and Stubbs needed to change things earlier in the 2nd half but he didn't.

Bartley AND Thomson just felt so sloooow.

One or the other IMO.

MWHIBBIES
13-03-2016, 08:30 PM
Yes it isNot really, we've won plenty big games under Stubbs, people just decide they aren't big games to suit their argument.

H18 SFR
13-03-2016, 08:31 PM
That Ross Co defence would have been toiling if exposed to some pace but he refused to bring Boyle on until they scored. Couldn't quite believe what I was seeing. Stubbs was hoping for something to happen and coulnd't bring himself to take Stokes off despite him blowing out of his erse after an hour yet again.

Fair comment re stokes, I've just watched the game back and he is totally gubbed early on.

Thecat23
13-03-2016, 08:33 PM
In what sense?

The biggest games we've played under Stubbs are the promotion playoff v Rangers, the Scottish Cup Semi v Falkirk and the League Cup Final today and we lost all of them.

Hibs v Hearts Derby in the Scottish? 1-0

Hibs v Aberdeen 2-0

Hibs v Dundee Utd 3-0

Hibs v St Johnstone 2-1.

These are big games he's done just fine.

Winston Ingram
13-03-2016, 08:34 PM
We've lost 6 & drawn 4 in a league full of pub teams. 17 off the pace. Making the same mistakes game after game. Absolutely baffling squad structure. 5 strikers on the bench today & he was never subbing the front 2.

Anyone who doesn't thing he should be questioned needs their head read.

B.H.F.C
13-03-2016, 08:38 PM
Not really, we've won plenty big games under Stubbs, people just decide they aren't big games to suit their argument.

We're miles off the top of the league and we've just blew a cup final that we should have won.

Fair to say we lose more than our share of big games.

superfurryhibby
13-03-2016, 08:39 PM
Some dubious decision making today. Fully agree that it's either Thomson or Bartley , not the two together and for all that I thought Stokes would be the signing that delivered what we crave, unfortunately he and Cummings play like they've only met that day. Neither seems to be able to feed off each other and that undermines all the decent build up etc.

In terms of the bigger picture. I think any manager would have had a massive challenge to get us up, give the competition. There is still a lot to play for and I believe we still have promotion in us, but if we fail I think Stubbs will be in trouble.

snedzuk
13-03-2016, 08:44 PM
So true with Stokes,hes making Cummings look so ordinary,ever since Stokes arrived Hibs have lost sparkle.
We had it against Alloa when hes was not playing,and scored 3 goals as well.

Was just saying this - and that was the 'B' team that day. No wins in 5, goals for 4 / against 10 since then.

neil7908
13-03-2016, 08:56 PM
Biggest mistake by the manager today was not using his subs correctly. When the board went up and Thomson was going off I was relieved (don't doubt his commitment but when he joined I would never have expected him to start this kind of game) but really surprised to see Keatings on. I think he's a decent player but I don't understand what we were trying to do with that sub. Boyle would have given us pace and width and Farid would have given us a chance to actually win some balls in the air. Still a lot to play for this season but for me Stubbs is now under pressure and we'll see how good a manager he really is

Hiber-nation
13-03-2016, 09:05 PM
Biggest mistake by the manager today was not using his subs correctly. When the board went up and Thomson was going off I was relieved (don't doubt his commitment but when he joined I would never have expected him to start this kind of game) but really surprised to see Keatings on. I think he's a decent player but I don't understand what we were trying to do with that sub. Boyle would have given us pace and width and Farid would have given us a chance to actually win some balls in the air. Still a lot to play for this season but for me Stubbs is now under pressure and we'll see how good a manager he really is

Exactly, he won't change what he sees as the tried and trusted. We had loads of possession around their box but Stokes made it easy for their defence as he's so slow and unfit. I just don't get it.

Aldoo
13-03-2016, 09:10 PM
Hibs v Hearts Derby in the Scottish? 1-0

Hibs v Aberdeen 2-0

Hibs v Dundee Utd 3-0

Hibs v St Johnstone 2-1.

These are big games he's done just fine.

Fair enough those were good wins but until he gets the team winning these big games at the business end of the season when it's do or die the jury is going to remain out. So far his record in those games does not look good.

Thecat23
13-03-2016, 09:12 PM
Fair enough those were good wins but until he gets the team winning these big games at the business end of the season when it's do or die the jury is going to remain out. So far his record in those games does not look good.

I agree, we need to win them more so the play offs. I was just pointing out that Stubbs doesn't get all "big games" wrong. But we need to be more clinical in front of goal and stop losing cheap goals because we can't seem to score at the other end to make up for it.

The_Horde
13-03-2016, 09:12 PM
From an armchair fans point of view. Delboy has a point. But If you actually go to the games you'll know the real story.

buktapurple79
13-03-2016, 09:17 PM
I'm absolutely disgusted at some of the keek on here. Alan has only once fallen to higher league opposition this season and ok it's a bit sair in a final but FFS this is a cohesive team with fans and operatives getting behind each other. We've smashed the Yams, should've been out of site the day and I'll be at Inverness. Grow a pair. GGTTH

bookert
13-03-2016, 09:22 PM
I am gutted mor than normal after seeing us lose a Hampden ( and believe me I have seen a few) at half time I thought there was only one team who would win. They changed it in the second half early by bringing Graham and Shalk on and moving Gardyne to the opposite wing to get behind Gray , they then broke quicker on us by launching balls early at Graham who played them off to either wing. Our response was to bring a defensive midfielder off and bring Keatings on. Keatings is not particularly productive playing behind the strikers. I think that Stubbs was outthougt.

The other thing I dont understand is that they struggled to clear balls into the box first half, if Farid is fit and on the bench get him in there, we continually played high balls to the front two who struggled with the service.

Not sure Stubbs is a master tactician - Mcintyre and Dodds outfoxed him today

neil7908
13-03-2016, 09:22 PM
I'm absolutely disgusted at some of the keek on here. Alan has only once fallen to higher league opposition this season and ok it's a bit sair in a final but FFS this is a cohesive team with fans and operatives getting behind each other. We've smashed the Yams, should've been out of site the day and I'll be at Inverness. Grow a pair. GGTTH

I think most fans have been pretty reasonable. No one calling for his head but just pointing out that failure to secure promotion this year would be disastrous. Beating Hearts is great buy will be meaningless in the grand scheme of things if we find ourselves without any silverware and still in Scotlands second tier come the end of the season

Captain Trips
13-03-2016, 09:23 PM

We weren't out of site today due to issues that have been ongoing for months. We should have been pushing Rangers we haven't due again to the same pish that's been ongoing. Stubbs should have been all over this. 18yd box and it's nae baws Hibs.

Hibernia&Alba
13-03-2016, 09:26 PM

I must agree. In the grand scheme of things (and putting aside today's huge disappointment) I think we have the right man. He's done a terrific job hitherto.

Aldoo
13-03-2016, 09:26 PM
Exactly, he won't change what he sees as the tried and trusted. We had loads of possession around their box but Stokes made it easy for their defence as he's so slow and unfit. I just don't get it.

Strangest thing for me is his unwillingness to thrown on Farid, he scored when he came on against Dumbarton and offers a different threat but since then he's played no part at all. He can't be injured as he's n the bench.

Stokes and Cummings together do not work but Stubbs is under some constant impression that it does, I see no interplay between the two of them that ever comes off and I think both of them would benefit from playing off Farid and let him make space for his strike partner. Question is who do you drop between Stokes and Cummings as at the moment as their records are as bad as each other's right now.

buktapurple79
13-03-2016, 09:30 PM
I think most fans have been pretty reasonable. No one calling for his head but just pointing out that failure to secure promotion this year would be disastrous. Beating Hearts is great buy will be meaningless in the grand scheme of things if we find ourselves without any silverware and still in Scotlands second tier come the end of the season

Fair dos and apologies if i came across a bit strong but this season has been amazing were backing the club big style Leanne has sorted the off field stuff and there's no way we'll not go up even if we finish in 3rd. This is a right good team and over the course we'll be fine. We might even win the Scottish cup! [emoji57][emoji106]

The Falcon
13-03-2016, 09:45 PM

The two teams to win the title over the last two seasons have, arguably, greater resources than us.

Eyrie
13-03-2016, 10:04 PM

When has he stuck to a 352?

Eyrie-: unless I've missed something what makes you say it was 3-5-2 today. I had a few drinks before the game but was never 3-5-2 in a million years. What did I miss?

I'd go along with that but the suggestion it was 3-5-2 has got me a bit confused.

How was it 3-5-2 today?

It wasn't a 3-5-2 and I have no clue why I typed that. My original post would only make sense if I'd typed 4-4-2 diamond.

neil7908
13-03-2016, 10:11 PM
Fair dos and apologies if i came across a bit strong but this season has been amazing were backing the club big style Leanne has sorted the off field stuff and there's no way we'll not go up even if we finish in 3rd. This is a right good team and over the course we'll be fine. We might even win the Scottish cup! [emoji57][emoji106]

No worries mate, been a tough day but overall I'm positive about how we're progressing under Stubbs, just think we can only really judge at the end of the season. Like you say he could be a club legend with promotion and a Scottish Cup win by then. Just find it hard to be optimistic after today

southern hibby
13-03-2016, 10:14 PM
Was thomson that went off for keatings not bartley.. Boyle came on for bartley in stoppage time

Yes your correct my mistake, still believe my point stands though

GGTTH

emerald green
13-03-2016, 10:53 PM

:agree: If Hibs cannot beat a very very ordinary team like Ross County in front of 30,000 of our own supporters at Hampden, then it just isn't being rational or realistic to think Hibs can now go to Inverness and win on Wednesday (straight after losing a cup final), then beat Dundee United in the semi final, then beat Celtic or The Rangers (probably Celtic) in the final. We're just not good enough to do that IMHO.

It's by no means certain Hibs can get through the play-offs either, but they may have a good chance of achieving that if they can finish 2nd in the Championship first of all. If they don't get through the play-offs, it's anyone's guess where the club goes from there, and whether AS, and a number of our best players, will remain at ER.

emerald green
13-03-2016, 10:58 PM

The bit in bold - Wow, you don't say. :rolleyes:

It does usually respect the big teams. That's why they usually win it. Check the record books and see how often Celtic and Rangers have won it compared to the other teams.

Scooter
13-03-2016, 11:48 PM
Stubbs has to take the blame for today. How stokes is still getting a game is beyond me he's not had one decent game. It's like he just sticking with him in the hope that he comes good. If I was Keatings dagnall and Farid I'd be knocking on stubb's door. Gunnarson for Thommo and not going 3 at the back for me was the his 1st error. Asking Thommo to do more than just sitting in front of the defence was daft. Then not having the balls to make a positive change early (I. E Boyle) was another.

Giro Playboy
13-03-2016, 11:52 PM
If we don't get promoted I will drive him back to Everton myself

broondog
13-03-2016, 11:59 PM
about 3 or 4 weeks ago I was fully behind Stubbs as it looked like he had built a decent team that was actually going to achieve something this season.

However after that shambles today I am at the end of my tether with him, simply not good enough. Whilst I am one of the few on here who don't think it will be a huge disaster if we stay down, my only reasoning behind this was that we were actually going somewhere positive and if it takes a few seasons to build this then so be it.

But after losing today against a team who I had only heard of about 5 years ago in what was our best chance of silverware in a long time is completely unacceptable and Stubbs has to shoulder the blame. If we go out the Scottish that will be it for me, disgrace, absolute disgrace.

SteveHFC
14-03-2016, 12:14 AM
Failure to go up this season and Stubbs has to go.

AFKA5814_Hibs
14-03-2016, 12:15 AM
If we don't get promoted or win a cup this season then yes, serious questions have to be asked about Stubbs future at Hibs. Promotion is still the obvious aim, more than 2 seasons in the Championship is a failure for this club.

Viva_Palmeiras
14-03-2016, 12:28 AM
Today (yesterday) we were beaten by a team in the division above us who beat Celtc to meet us.

Viva_Palmeiras
14-03-2016, 12:30 AM
:agree: If Hibs cannot beat a very very ordinary team like Ross County in front of 30,000 of our own supporters at Hampden, then it just isn't being rational or realistic to think Hibs can now go to Inverness and win on Wednesday (straight after losing a cup final), then beat Dundee United in the semi final, then beat Celtic or The Rangers (probably Celtic) in the final. We're just not good enough to do that IMHO.

It's by no means certain Hibs can get through the play-offs either, but they may have a good chance of achieving that if they can finish 2nd in the Championship first of all. If they don't get through the play-offs, it's anyone's guess where the club goes from there, and whether AS, and a number of our best players, will remain at ER.

This post is like going from 0-60 but in reverse.

Viva_Palmeiras
14-03-2016, 12:33 AM
about 3 or 4 weeks ago I was fully behind Stubbs as it looked like he had built a decent team that was actually going to achieve something this season.

However after that shambles today I am at the end of my tether with him, simply not good enough. Whilst I am one of the few on here who don't think it will be a huge disaster if we stay down, my only reasoning behind this was that we were actually going somewhere positive and if it takes a few seasons to build this then so be it.

But after losing today against a team who I had only heard of about 5 years ago in what was our best chance of silverware in a long time is completely unacceptable and Stubbs has to shoulder the blame. If we go out the Scottish that will be it for me, disgrace, absolute disgrace.

Error free football doesn't exist. Boot it out the park and were into extra time. Shambles? Maybe some perspective after a kip?

Viva_Palmeiras
14-03-2016, 12:37 AM

Throwing the baby out with the bath water?
Stubbs has perhaps been a victim of his own relative successes in terms of competing against the league above. Has that caused us to take the eye off the prize? Do we suggest he is incapable of learning from his experiences in his short managerial career? Or do we take a punt on someone else who needs to go through the process of knowing/building his team etc again?

Dunbar Hibee
14-03-2016, 02:18 AM

Who do you want to get in? Some ****ing idiots on this board like.

J-C
14-03-2016, 05:55 AM
Rather than posting straight away I've slept on it so here are my thoughts,

Tactically Stubbs is showing his limitations, his desire to continue with this bloody diamond formation has me pulling my hair out at times. If you're going to throw wingbacks down the wing then surely you need proper wingbacks, both Gray and Lewis are neither, Gray is a decent solid fullback and Lewis is a defensive midfielder, just watch the number of times he stops to cut inside rather than going past his man, it's natural for him to do this.

We have zero pace in the team, teams sit back and crowd out the middle, then hit us on the break, it's happened for 2 seasons now and he still hasn't done anything about it.

Cummings and Stokes just don't work, Cummings has little game intelligence, he's very selfish and rarely brings anyone else into play, Stokes is the opposite but they were about 20 yards apart yesterday, no understanding whatsoever, unlike last week when Stokes played with Keatings against Inverness.

As good as McGinn and Henderson van be far too much pressure has been heaped onto their young shoulders, they're still kids ffs and are still developing as players, Dylan has been sorely missed as he adds that little bit of guile to the team.

Oxley is a bomb scare at times and gives little confidence to the the defence, decent shot stopper but has no command of his area and for me it's a no, never wanted him to sign and we should and could get better, give the new lad a chance.

The subs are quite frankly bizarre at times, how Cummings lasted the full 90 minutes is beyond me, bringing on Boyle with 4 added minutes was just a pure joke and it looked to me like he was playing for extra time before making his final subs, why??? surely you bring them on with around 20 to go to win the game in 90 not play for extra time. If you gonna lump the ball into the box like we did, then surely Farid was the player to come on.

I'm seriously having major doubts concerning Stubbs and his capabilities to go any further, nice tippy tappy passing looks lovely but we're averaging just over 1.5 goals a game, similar points as last season and as yet we've still not sussed out how to break down teams who sit back and hit us on the break.

Hiber-nation
14-03-2016, 06:00 AM

Tactically Stubbs is showing his limitations, his desire to continue with this bloody diamond formation has me pulling my hair out at times. If you're going to throw wingbacks down the wing then surely you need proper wingbacks, both Gray and Lewis are neither, Gray is a decent solid fullback and Lewis is a defensive midfielder, just watch the number of times he stops to cut inside rather than going past his man, it's natural for him to do this.

We have zero pace in the team, teams sit back and crowd out the middle, then hit us on the break, it's happened for 2 seasons now and he still hasn't done anything about it.

Cummings and Stokes just don't work, Cummings has little game intelligence, he's very selfish and rarely brings anyone else into play, Stokes is the opposite but they were about 20 yards apart yesterday, no understanding whatsoever, unlike last week when Stokes played with Keatings against Inverness.

As good as McGinn and Henderson van be far too much pressure has been heaped onto their young shoulders, they're still kids ffs and are still developing as players, Dylan has been sorely missed as he adds that little bit of guile to the team.

Oxley is a bomb scare at times and gives little confidence to the the defence, decent shot stopper but has no command of his area and for me it's a no, never wanted him to sign and we should and could get better, give the new lad a chance.

The subs are quite frankly bizarre at times, how Cummings lasted the full 90 minutes is beyond me, bringing on Boyle with 4 added minutes was just a pure joke and it looked to me like he was playing for extra time before making his final subs, why??? surely you bring them on with around 20 to go to win the game in 90 not play for extra time. If you gonna lump the ball into the box like we did, then surely Farid was the player to come on.

I'm seriously having major doubts concerning Stubbs and his capabilities to go any further, nice tippy tappy passing looks lovely but we're averaging just over 1.5 goals a game, similar points as last season and as yet we've still not sussed out how to break down teams who sit back and hit us on the break.

Excellent post sir.

DaveF
14-03-2016, 06:05 AM
Today (yesterday) we were beaten by a team in the division above us who beat Celtc to meet us.

A ten man crap Celtc for most of the match!

I can accept getting beat in a final - had enough experience of it - but the manner of this one is difficult to take. Can't blame the manager for the disgraceful goals we handed them but he has serious questions to answer about many things IMO.

carnoustiehibee
14-03-2016, 06:09 AM
Absolutely spot on assessment J-C. Can't disagree with any of that.

Nicho87
14-03-2016, 06:33 AM
Jc spot on

calumhibee1
14-03-2016, 06:39 AM

This season has been amazing? Not for me it's not. Been a few highs along the way but there has been way too many lows in what is an absolute ***** league which imo well really struggle to get out of again this year (I hope I'm wrong, but the way things are going right now, we're not going to come out on top over 4, or potentially 6 games.)

LustForLeith
14-03-2016, 07:34 AM
If we don't go up this season, when will we go up? Dundee United could be in it next season. Falkirk could still be in it or another premiership side, throw in the likes of Dunfermline who'll be promoted and the fact that we've struggled against part time outfits like Dumbarton and we could be here for awhile.

Unless reconstruction happens..!

The Harp Awakes
14-03-2016, 07:35 AM

Agree with all of that. The only thing I'd add is that we're missing Hanlon as much as Dylan. 2 massive players for us and we're suffering big time due to their absence.

Stokesy's on fire
14-03-2016, 07:42 AM
If we don't go up this season, when will we go up? Dundee United could be in it next season. Falkirk could still be in it or another premiership side, throw in the likes of Dunfermline who'll be promoted and the fact that we've struggled against part time outfits like Dumbarton and we could be here for awhile.

We have to go up this season failure is not an option

Stuarty27
14-03-2016, 07:49 AM
The substitute was bizarre to say the least.

To put Keatings on in the hole when he had been poor there all season was poor but to move Henderson from the tip of the diamond when he was our most creative midfielder and playing well was worse.

CorrieHibs
14-03-2016, 07:56 AM
[QUOTE=hfcok;4617065]So true with Stokes,hes making Cummings look so ordinary,ever since Stokes arrived Hibs have lost sparkle.
We had it against Alloa when hes was not playing,and scored 3 goals as well.[/QUOTE

When stokes arrived we had lost 3 matches all season (I'm not including the petro fac cup) stokes has now me part of 4 loses. Not looking like the signing we hoped for.

Also Stubbs is inability to make changes is worrying. Big game on Wednesday lose that then he's only got the play offs to keep his job.

CRAZYHIBBY
14-03-2016, 07:58 AM
He should have hooked stokes on 60 minutes...he was absolutely hopeless....cummings looks like he's left already

Nutmegged
14-03-2016, 08:03 AM
I like Stubbs and he's built a good squad, Dempster deserves credit for making those things possible but I believe in the 2nd tier Alan Stubbs is probably as much of a pull if not more than Hibs itself, we had become quite a toxic club before the changes in 2014, that was a long term thing so in that sense I don't believe we'd have such as good a squad if we didn't sign Stubbs.

That being said, this is his first gig, this is the place he'll learn mostly about himself, he'll do a lot of good things and do many wrong things, its all part of the learning curve, when you hire a manager like this thats the kinda baggage that unfortunately goes with it, last Season was like no other in 2nd tier Football yet we did something that for any other year in existence would've been proud of, we bested Deidco over the course of a League Season, Hibs being Hibs of course we didn't see it past the Play-Off's but when you looked back at it, finishing above them was fantastic even with their problems, or grievence came with who came first, unfortunately we'll always be held in the same breath as the horribles.

What Stubbs has done with Hibs has gotten us noticed, good and bad, its opened the door to get really good players (i.e Stokes) unfortunately however this has caused an imbalance in the squad and its clear him and Jase aren't suited to each other, again though it's difficult to refuse an option to sign a very talented player but more experienced managers will see the danger signs in moves like this, Stubbs will put more thought into it next time.

We need to stick with Alan Stubbs, we have a squad capable of being top 4 in the Prem and winning a Cup, we do but we just need to get there and a League Season can often be decided by one off day (Play-Off)

Going to watch Hibs can be frustrating and heartbreaking but at least under Stubbs I see us trying to do things the right way, reaction is everything in Football, we can lick our wounds today but tomorrow we need to be ready, theres still all to play for, we should be thankful we've got a manager who despite being in the 2nd tier can stake us to a Cup Final were we are actually the favourites despite playing a top 4 Prem side.

hibbydad
14-03-2016, 08:03 AM
In fear Stubbs has taken us as far as he can he just doesn't seem to be able to take us the extra mile. Cummings in my opinion is missing Malonga

Jim44
14-03-2016, 08:07 AM
Stubbs has to get credit for transforming us from a heap of steaming manure to a decent Championship side which can compete but is as vulnerable as any other side in our league. We probably have at best a 50-50 chance of promotion and if we scrape through, I think Stubbs will carry on. If we fail, he might walk away from the job before being pushed. Personally, if we don't get promotion, on balance I wouldn't mind if he continued.

B.H.F.C
14-03-2016, 08:09 AM
Stubbs has to get credit for transforming us from a heap of steaming manure to a decent Championship side which can compete but is as vulnerable as any other side in our league. We probably have at best a 50-50 chance of promotion and if we scrape through, I think Stubbs will carry on. If we fail, he might walk away from the job before being pushed. Personally, if we don't get promotion, on balance I wouldn't mind if he continued.

With the backing he has had, a decent championship side isn't good enough.

Thecat23
14-03-2016, 08:17 AM
Time for Stubbs to go... What's Tommy Craig doing??

Sorry just adding my crap thoughts like most have on here 😉👍🏼

Ozyhibby
14-03-2016, 08:18 AM
With the backing he has had, a decent championship side isn't good enough.

Correct. If we are not promoted he should be sacked. We need a manager who can get the team scoring goals. 5 games without a win now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peanut Shaz
14-03-2016, 08:19 AM

Couldn't agree more. If we fail to go up this season, promotion next season will certainly not be a given. We have to go up this time round or we could be here for a lot longer than we should be.

southern hibby
14-03-2016, 08:20 AM
My thoughts are AS has limitations as all men in any walks of life has. However I'm expecting him to learn From His Mistakes substitutions, technical abilities and constantly repeating himself to the point that I really do wonder at times.

Yesterday I saw my team play well make chances and get beat of an average team ( no disrespect to RC ) that's twice now Hibs have buggered off to Spain came back and conceded 2 goals next meaningful game ( 3 if you count Dumbarton at start of season and don't count the preseason games as meaningful ). Disclaimer all preseason games are meaningful up to a point.

Now my question is will we get 2nd spot and go to Spain again for a break or will AS start learning from his mistakes and start rectifying his faults that to me needs addressed?
I want AS to make my club great again and I believe with him and board at the helm it can be achievable but and this is a big but, when will he address his tactical awareness substitutions ( time wise and tactically) and constantly doing same over and over without change.

GGTTH

Ozyhibby
14-03-2016, 08:23 AM
or we could be here for a lot longer than we should be.

We are already past that point.

JimBHibees
14-03-2016, 08:26 AM
My thoughts are AS has limitations as all men in any walks of life has. However I'm expecting him to learn From His Mistakes substitutions, technical abilities and constantly repeating himself to the point that I really do wonder at times.

Yesterday I saw my team play well make chances and get beat of an average team ( no disrespect to RC ) that's twice now Hibs have buggered off to Spain came back and conceded 2 goals next meaningful game ( 3 if you count Dumbarton at start of season and don't count the preseason games as meaningful ). Disclaimer all preseason games are meaningful up to a point.

Now my question is will we get 2nd spot and go to Spain again for a break or will AS start learning from his mistakes and start rectifying his faults that to me needs addressed?
I want AS to make my club great again and I believe with him and board at the helm it can be achievable but and this is a big but, when will he address his tactical awareness substitutions ( time wise and tactically) and constantly doing same over and over without change.

GGTTH

The linking of trips to Spain is nonsense IMO. Problems again are teams scoring with about 90 to 100 % of their chances. You can probably get away with McGregor and Hanlon but not IMO McGregor and Fontaine with 2 full backs pushing on we leave them exposed. To me ICT with 3 at the back was decent no idea why that was changed as it gives us more in midfield.

B.H.F.C
14-03-2016, 08:28 AM
The linking of trips to Spain is nonsense IMO. Problems again are teams scoring with about 90 to 100 % of their chances. You can probably get away with McGregor and Hanlon but not IMO McGregor and Fontaine with 2 full backs pushing on we leave them exposed. To me ICT with 3 at the back was decent no idea why that was changed as it gives us more in midfield.

Maybe the money spent on those trips to Spain could have been spent on a player to help with our goal scoring issues?

Because the trips haven't shown any obvious benefits.

Peanut Shaz
14-03-2016, 08:30 AM

Agreed.

Hermit Crab
14-03-2016, 08:31 AM

No plan B. Cummings should never have started. Off form and proved it yesterday. Thomson should never have started and sold the first goal.

Hibernia&Alba
14-03-2016, 08:33 AM
The morning after the night before and I'm still confident in Stubbsy. It's been a really bad couple of weeks, now let's see if he can get a response.......I think he can :gwa:

Ozyhibby
14-03-2016, 08:34 AM
The morning after the night before and I'm still confident in Stubbsy. It's been a really bad couple of weeks, now let's see if he can get a response.......I think he can :gwa:

We've been waiting on a response for 5 games now.

Greenworld
14-03-2016, 08:36 AM
Correct. If we are not promoted he should be sacked. We need a manager who can get the team scoring goals. 5 games without a win now.

100% can people not see the change in things since Stokes and Thomson arrived ....instead of strengthening the opposite has happened..
Stubbs needs to sort things quickly and being brave is the only way to sort that.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

green day
14-03-2016, 08:41 AM
Stubbs changed it for Alloa, played a "B" team that actually looked decent in formation and desire.

How he or his team can't see the flaws is beyond me.

Ross County changed formation to counter our diamond...because they know it's pretty much our only formation.

He needs to suck up his pride and change it now. Starting on Wednesday.

Same team and tactics and we lose in Inverness. No question for me.

Stokesy's on fire
14-03-2016, 08:43 AM
I would like to see Boyle in the team more often please

J-C
14-03-2016, 08:43 AM
100% can people not see the change in things since Stokes and Thomson arrived ....instead of strengthening the opposite has happened..
Stubbs needs to sort things quickly and being brave is the only way to sort that.

I'll give you Stokes but certainly not Thomson, he was brought in as emergency cover and to to do some coaching with the youngsters.

If what I was told re Stokes, all is not rosy behind the scenes.

Hibernia&Alba
14-03-2016, 08:44 AM
We've been waiting on a response for 5 games now.

I know, but things can change very quickly. If we beat Inverness (a big ask) the situation looks entirely different. We have a good young manager - he's still learning - but he knows what he wants. Let's not panic.

Nicho87
14-03-2016, 08:51 AM
Cant believe we never played 3-5-2 yesterday.

Onion
14-03-2016, 08:56 AM
Stubbs has to take the blame for today. How stokes is still getting a game is beyond me he's not had one decent game. It's like he just sticking with him in the hope that he comes good. If I was Keatings dagnall and Farid I'd be knocking on stubb's door. Gunnarson for Thommo and not going 3 at the back for me was the his 1st error. Asking Thommo to do more than just sitting in front of the defence was daft. Then not having the balls to make a positive change early (I. E Boyle) was another.

Might have had something written into his contract guaranteeing games, and possibly a CF place. Negotiation took forever, he had his pick of clubs and needed games as much for his Euro place.

Sadly, Stokes is turning out to be one of our most disappointing signings in ages. Hailed as a coup for Hibs, many thought he was our ace card in pushing for promo and LC. If anything, his presence has weakened the team and our attack.

In say that, this is Stubbs problem. If he wants the Celtic job he needs to make the big, brave decisions to win the important games. If he cannot do that at Hibs, he's no chance at Celtic.

southern hibby
14-03-2016, 09:03 AM

I'm not linkin the trips to Spain to defeats though that may come over as that. I'm linking trips to Spain as constantly doing something getting same results and not changing things so you get a different result. All I was hinting it was if we come second will we go to Spain as we did last year or will we learn from our past failures

GGTTH

Greenworld
14-03-2016, 09:03 AM
I'll give you Stokes but certainly not Thomson, he was brought in as emergency cover and to to do some coaching with the youngsters.

If what I was told re Stokes, all is not rosy behind the scenes.
I'll retract Thompson you right he is playing through circumstances.
I don't know what you've heard re - stokes and from whom....there is plenty going around

Giro Playboy
14-03-2016, 09:06 AM
Stubbs has to get credit for transforming us from a heap of steaming manure to a decent Championship side which can compete but is as vulnerable as any other side in our league. We probably have at best a 50-50 chance of promotion and if we scrape through, I think Stubbs will carry on. If we fail, he might walk away from the job before being pushed. Personally, if we don't get promotion, on balance I wouldn't mind if he continued. Considering his budget if he failed twice I would be very reluctant to give him a third crack at getting us up.

zlatan
14-03-2016, 09:06 AM
Have Stokes and Cummings assisted each other for a goal yet? Off the top of my head I can't think of one but in their limited time playing together Keatings has provided Stokes and vice versa.

Dublin07
14-03-2016, 10:14 AM

If you honestly believe that you need a massive reality check. Stop watching soccer Saturday or playing footy manager.
Stubbs has been in the job for less than 2 years. He walked in the door to 7 players and a complete shambles behind the scenes. He had to rebuild the club from rock bottom. Rangers have a massive budget compared to ours and winning the league would have been a huge achievement it is not a failure to finish behind them. It's just a sad fact of life in Scotland that they have a big support and get every decision in their favour. We can still get promoted this season.
He just got us to a cup final in his second season after some brilliant wins on the way. We had 3 of our best players injured. He tried to fit the personnel we had fit into his system of playing which was a mistake and I would have played 3-5-2 but it is hardly worthy of the sack.
The main problem Stubbs has is Scottish football is full of managers that go out to stop other teams playing and employ players to fill that role. It's how they were coached as players and the problem just goes on forever and Scotland will never get success on the international scene because of it.
Stubbs tells his players to express themselves and try to entertain. He should applauded for it not sacked as you would wish.
Aye he makes mistakes but who doesn't.
We are all Hibernian FC and we win as a team and lose as a team.
Ggtth.

marleyhib
14-03-2016, 10:15 AM
What a difference a couple of weeks make.

Regardless if we go up or not we should stick with him and back him as much as we can.

We've changed managers too often, appointed some real duds, he's still learning and will improve.

Hurting badly today but still behind Stubbs and the team 100% - they need our backing at the moment more than ever.

Northernhibee
14-03-2016, 10:16 AM
What a difference a couple of weeks make.

Regardless if we go up or not we should stick with him and back him as much as we can.

We've changed managers too often, appointed some real duds, he's still learning and will improve.

Hurting badly today but still behind Stubbs and the team 100% - they need our backing at the moment more than ever.
It's back to square one. Let's find a scapegoat and quick.

Hibernia&Alba
14-03-2016, 10:19 AM
If you honestly believe that you need a massive reality check. Stop watching soccer Saturday or playing footy manager.
Stubbs has been in the job for less than 2 years. He walked in the door to 7 players and a complete shambles behind the scenes. He had to rebuild the club from rock bottom. Rangers have a massive budget compared to ours and winning the league would have been a huge achievement it is not a failure to finish behind them. It's just a sad fact of life in Scotland that they have a big support and get every decision in their favour. We can still get promoted this season.
He just got us to a cup final in his second season after some brilliant wins on the way. We had 3 of our best players injured. He tried to fit the personnel we had fit into his system of playing which was a mistake and I would have played 3-5-2 but it is hardly worthy of the sack.
The main problem Stubbs has is Scottish football is full of managers that go out to stop other teams playing and employ players to fill that role. It's how they were coached as players and the problem just goes on forever and Scotland will never get success on the international scene because of it.
Stubbs tells his players to express themselves and try to entertain. He should applauded for it not sacked as you would wish.
Aye he makes mistakes but who doesn't.
We are all Hibernian FC and we win as a team and lose as a team.
Ggtth.

:top marks :applause:

Top post, IMO. We've come an awful long way these past two seasons. Stubbs is a young manager still learning his trade, not Alex Ferguson. He will mistakes, but he'll learn from them. We'd be mad to consider sacking him, even if we don't win promotion, IMHO.

Giro Playboy
14-03-2016, 10:21 AM
Rangers have a massive budget compared to ours and winning the league would have been a huge achievement

. Rangers also had a massive budget compared to Hearts last season.

Some managers can cope with game spoilers better than others. They anticipate how the other team are going to play and change their tactics accordingly. They don't just stick rigidly to the same formation every week win ,draw or lose

Dublin07
14-03-2016, 10:25 AM
Rangers also had a massive budget compared to Hearts last season.

Some managers can cope with game spoilers better than others. They anticipate how the other team are going to play and change their tactics accordingly. They don't just stick rigidly to the same formation every week win ,draw or lose

Rangers last season were as much of a shambles as we were at the start of the season and it allowed hearts to build a big lead and confidence grew from that. They would not have beaten rangers to the league this year.
I agree we need to change within games but it's not true that we always play the same formation as we have gone with 3 at the back a number of times.

hibeerealist
14-03-2016, 10:34 AM
stubbs changed it for alloa, played a "b" team that actually looked decent in formation and desire.

How he or his team can't see the flaws is beyond me.

Ross county changed formation to counter our diamond...because they know it's pretty much our only formation.

He needs to suck up his pride and change it now. Starting on wednesday.

Same team and tactics and we lose in inverness. No question for me.

this!!!

Expecting Rain
14-03-2016, 10:34 AM
Stubbs has been an excellent appointment for Hibs but i would argue that he is still got a lot to learn, there`s no real quality in the wide areas to deliver real scoring opportunities for the numerous forwards we have, bringing back Thomson as a player is beyond analysis, We need a left back and a goalkeeper urgently, we are also at times wasting the talents of central midfielders by asking them to play in wider areas, there is still much to play for this season, a replay up at Inverness and what has been our aim since the start of the season to get promotion.

Ozyhibby
14-03-2016, 10:36 AM
I know, but things can change very quickly. If we beat Inverness (a big ask) the situation looks entirely different. We have a good young manager - he's still learning - but he knows what he wants. Let's not panic.

Where is the evidence he is learning?

carnoustiehibee
14-03-2016, 10:37 AM
Excellent post sir.

He started with 2 defensive midfeilders yesterday, nobody that can hit the byline,get past his marker or that can hit it in the air at goal from outside the box

southern hibby
14-03-2016, 10:41 AM

Top post, IMO. We've come an awful long way these past two seasons. Stubbs is a young manager still learning his trade, not Alex Ferguson. He will mistakes, but he'll learn from them. We'd be mad to consider sacking him, even if we don't win promotion, IMHO.

Genuine question. Is he learning from his mistakes 2 years in the job and he has done wonders but yet again his formation and tactics were the same as usual substitutions awful and not heard the comments personally but heard he said basically we didn't play well. Well it's his job to freshen the game up change it around with formations and substitutions.
I honestly want him to succeed but beginning to think we're making same mistakes too often to be unlucky.

GGTTH

southsider
14-03-2016, 10:43 AM
We are not fit enough, simple as that. Last 10 mins in games some of our team are breathing out their backsides. Oh and nae pace up front and not much width. Added to the fact that we have players who went down, in the box, far to easily.

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2016, 10:52 AM
We are not fit enough, simple as that. Last 10 mins in games some of our team are breathing out their backsides. Oh and nae pace up front and not much width. Added to the fact that we have players who went down, in the box, far to easily.Ross County were no fitter than us yesterday, made all 3 subs and had 2 players really struggling with cramp at the end. Also plenty of examples of us scoring goals late on in games this season so yeah, you are talking nonsense.

Hibernia&Alba
14-03-2016, 10:54 AM
Where is the evidence he is learning?

Genuine question. Is he learning from his mistakes 2 years in the job and he has done wonders but yet again his formation and tactics were the same as usual substitutions awful and not heard the comments personally but heard he said basically we didn't play well. Well it's his job to freshen the game up change it around with formations and substitutions.
I honestly want him to succeed but beginning to think we're making same mistakes too often to be unlucky.

GGTTH

This team isn't the finished article by any means, but we all remember the state we were in when relegated. We've made huge strides forward since, in terms of performance and results. There are going to be setbacks certainly; Stubbs had to completely re-build the squad whilst having no managerial experience. At times he will encounter problems that are new to him, and it will take time for him to find the right solution. We can't expect a man in his first managerial post to know all the answers. He also isn't the finished article but is learning his trade on the job, meaning there will be blips along the way; but the overall trajectory in the past 18 months has been upwards. There are more improvements to come, and I think it's far too early to be discussing his future (for those who are).

Things can change so quickly. Let's finish second and see how the play offs pan out. If he gets us promoted, he'll be called a genius, so let's just hang fire a while until the bigger picture emerges.

Renfrew_Hibby
14-03-2016, 11:02 AM
I read somewhere yesterday that the County manager changed to a back 3 for the first time yesterday as he had noticed other teams diud this against us with success. Question is, I can't ever remember Stubbs changing formation or tactics to combat the opposition (apart from Ibrox last year) He sticks to his tried and tired diamond which is far too easy to combat, gives us no width. We have zero pace, don't attack with purpose.
I would like to see us go with 352 for rest of the season how about this for midweek...
Oxley
Gunnerson McGregor Fontaine
Bartley
Grey Henderson McGin Boyle
Keatings Stokes

OK so more a 3-1-4-2
Would that be any good?

Dublin07
14-03-2016, 11:10 AM
I read somewhere yesterday that the County manager changed to a back 3 for the first time yesterday as he had noticed other teams diud this against us with success. Question is, I can't ever remember Stubbs changing formation or tactics to combat the opposition (apart from Ibrox last year) He sticks to his tried and tired diamond which is far too easy to combat, gives us no width. We have zero pace, don't attack with purpose.
I would like to see us go with 352 for rest of the season how about this for midweek...
Oxley
Bartley
Keatings Stokes

OK so more a 3-1-4-2
Would that be any good?

He changed to a 3-5-2 against Inverness just last week after starting with the diamond.
I think it works best for the players we have available at the moment but when all our midfield are fit the diamond works well.

Ozyhibby
14-03-2016, 11:10 AM
This team isn't the finished article by any means, but we all remember the state we were in when relegated. We've made huge strides forward since, in terms of performance and results. There are going to be setbacks certainly; Stubbs had to completely re-build the squad whilst having no managerial experience. At times he will encounter problems that are new to him, and it will take time for him to find the right solution. We can't expect a man in his first managerial post to know all the answers. He also isn't the finished article but is learning his trade on the job, meaning there will be blips along the way; but the overall trajectory in the past 18 months has been upwards. There are more improvements to come, and I think it's far too early to be discussing his future (for those who are).

Things can change so quickly. Let's finish second and see how the play offs pan out. If he gets us promoted, he'll be called a genius, so let's just hang fire a while until the bigger picture emerges.

He won't be a genius for getting us promoted. It's the minimum we should expect for the budget he has.
We are now 5 games without a win and every single one of those teams has a budget less than half of ours. He needs to change this up very quickly.
And if it's down to his inexperience then he should not have been appointed.
Nielsen is inexperienced as well but he has the yams a full league above us and scoring more goals.
The time for making excuses for Stubbs is over. He needs to start delivering.

sleeping giant
14-03-2016, 11:12 AM
Oxley
Bartley
Keatings Stokes

OK so more a 3-1-4-2
Would that be any good?

I heard that on the radio. I'm sure they said RC even lined up as a 442 then changed just before kick off. They were saying it was a master stroke.
I didn't notice myself though.

WhileTheChief..
14-03-2016, 11:13 AM
We're only about 3 points better off than this time last year so not sure that we can say we've come a long way since his appointment.

Some of the results in the league have been shocking and the wins against Aberdeen etc count for hee-haw now.

If we don't go up I think he'll need to move on.

Hibernia&Alba
14-03-2016, 11:16 AM
We're only about 3 points better off than this time last year so not sure that we can say we've come a long way since his appointment.

Some of the results in the league have been shocking and the wins against Aberdeen etc count for hee-haw now.

To be replaced by whom, mate? Who could we attract who could guarantee promotion?

Hibee_Craig7062
14-03-2016, 11:17 AM

And who do we get in?

Ozyhibby
14-03-2016, 11:23 AM
And who do we get in?

To be replaced by whom, mate? Who could we attract who could guarantee promotion?

If that's the best defence of Stubbs people can come up with then he's in more trouble than I thought.

Hibee_Craig7062
14-03-2016, 11:26 AM
If that's the best defence of Stubbs people can come up with then he's in more trouble than I thought.

Sorry I should have added that AS still has my backing. Even if that backing has to continue for another year in the championship. He is one of the main reasons behind me feeling some pride in my football club again. Pride that was lost under Fenlon and butcher

Thecat23
14-03-2016, 11:28 AM

Can see this happening.. We sack Stubbs, rebuild AGAIN, Utd pull clear next year and then whoever is in charge 'must be sacked'. Following year repeat.. Following year repeat again!!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but sacking Stubbs isn't the answer after what's he's done/doing. He needs to learn many things and hopefully he is doing this. Come end of the season I hope we are promoted just to shut a few up if I'm being honest.

1987kev
14-03-2016, 11:29 AM
Go up or he's out has anything really change we look better cause we play against rubbish every week this cup run as paper over cracks for me

Hibernia&Alba
14-03-2016, 11:33 AM

It's a valid question, Ozy. If failure to win promotion this season means the sack, who could we attract who could definitely deliver it? Who can you think of who could do a better job and who we could get?

Ozyhibby
14-03-2016, 11:35 AM
Can see this happening.. We sack Stubbs, rebuild AGAIN, Utd pull clear next year and then whoever is in charge 'must be sacked'. Following year repeat.. Following year repeat again!!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but sacking Stubbs isn't the answer after what's he's done/doing. He needs to learn many things and hopefully he is doing this. Come end of the season I hope we are promoted just to shut a few up if I'm being honest.

Why does rebuilding take us 3 years but the Yams managed it in 1? When McInnes arrived at Aberdeen they were below us, look at them now. Why are we always being asked to wait for next season?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-03-2016, 11:37 AM
The Stubbs out talk is delusional. Who else we gonna get in that's any better on our budget (which will be much smaller next year if we stay down btw) then?

Folk are quick to forget where we were as a club when he first came in and how much he has changed us. Also, that this is his first managerial job.

I'm no "happy clapper" and of course some of the criticism towards him is deserved, however the "Stubbs out" chat is boring. I for one have been behind him from the beginning and will continue to do so.

ASGAWA!

Ozyhibby
14-03-2016, 11:42 AM
It's a valid question, Ozy. If failure to win promotion this season means the sack, who could we attract who could definitely deliver it? Who can you think of who could do a better job and who we could get?

The normal way of these discussions is I put a name forward and you then rubbish the suggestion in some way. There are lots of managers out there who are performing better than Alan Stubbs is.
I don't want to sack Stubbs, I want him to get better at his job. I want him to show that he can get us scoring goals.

1987kev
14-03-2016, 11:43 AM
The Stubbs out talk is delusional. Who else we gonna get in that's any better on our budget (which will be much smaller next year if we stay down btw) then?

Folk are quick to forget where we were as a club when he first came in and how much he has changed us. Also, that this is his first managerial job.

I'm no "happy clapper" and of course some of the criticism towards him is deserved, however the "Stubbs out" chat is boring. I for one have been behind him from the beginning and will continue to do so.

ASGAWA!
What has he changed? He's been back by the club and if we fail to go up the team will have to b rebuild again

BSEJVT
14-03-2016, 11:46 AM

Is he learning though, I am not sure I see any evidence?

We cannot allow him much longer to do so unless there is a sign he is.

FWIW I am not in the get rid now campaign, but I would need to seriously rethink that approach if we fail to go up.

Hibernia&Alba
14-03-2016, 11:48 AM
The normal way of these discussions is I put a name forward and you then rubbish the suggestion in some way. There are lots of managers out there who are performing better than Alan Stubbs is.
I don't want to sack Stubbs, I want him to get better at his job. I want him to show that he can get us scoring goals.

Fair do's, I certainly agree with that. He has a big challenge to lift the team now, and as a rookie manager it's a big problem to solve. Let's see how he deals with it. I'm of the opinion he should be offered the chance to stay on, even if we don't go up, but there will be other opinions should that happen.

Thecat23
14-03-2016, 11:48 AM
Why does rebuilding take us 3 years but the Yams managed it in 1? When McInnes arrived at Aberdeen they were below us, look at them now. Why are we always being asked to wait for next season?

Dons have spent more money for one. Stubbs has taken us to a semi and a final in his first and second season. No chance were we winning the league last year given he had 4 weeks to assemble a side. This season the Huns have got their act together although we should be closer.

Either way I just don't agree with sacking Stubbs after the job he's been doing. I appreciate others see differently that's football. Sack Stubbs and see where we are next year.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-03-2016, 11:49 AM
What has he changed? He's been back by the club and if we fail to go up the team will have to b rebuild again

Our style of football for one. There's no denying that! Or was the style of football before him better?

The whole club in general has changed, when was the last time you seen a group of players fight for eachother and fight until the end? That for me, is a reflection of the management.

Our home record also :aok:

We are going through a bad patch just now, but believe me, things have changed for the better since he's came in. Players have to take some blame for yesterday as well and not just Stubbs!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-03-2016, 11:50 AM
Dons have spent more money for one. Stubbs has taken us to a semi and a final in his first and second season. No chance were we winning the league last year given he had 4 weeks to assemble a side. This season the Huns have got their act together although we should be closer.

Either way I just don't agree with sacking Stubbs after the job he's been doing. I appreciate others see differently that's football. Sack Stubbs and see where we are next year.

This.

WhileTheChief..
14-03-2016, 11:51 AM
Not sure who we'd bring in but happy to trust the club to find a replacement. I don't think anyone tipped Stubbs to come here before he was appointed??

From what I've read on here the whole set up is designed to cope when our mgr leaves. If he won the cup and got us promoted we would prob be looking anyways so the question of who replaces him would still come up.

I'm not starting a Stubbs out campaign or anything, but can't see how he carries on in this division.

This was the year to do it. The excuses of having to take over from the mess that was Butcher were for last year.

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2016, 11:51 AM
We shouldn't keep him on the basis of their being no one else, that is a pretty poor reason to keep a manager. I don't want him sacked and I certainly don't want him hounded out like Fenlon was but this squad is more than good enough to win the playoffs and serious questions would need to be asked if we don't.

Pretty Boy
14-03-2016, 11:55 AM
I don't think it's wrong that people are asking certain questions about Stubbs.

I think everyone accepts he inherited a total shambles and done well to put a relatively competitive team on the park pretty quickly. We had some good performances and results last season balanced by a fair few poor ones and come the end of the season we probably didn't do enough to deserve to go up. Most accepted that as they realised the circumstances.

As it stands this season we have had 1 fantatstic cup run and 1 cup run that has been very good and could go on to also be fantastic. Our league performance is very marginally better than last year points wise despite us being a place worse off. The only time Stubbs can really be judged on that though is come May, if we fail in the play offs then there will be criticism that is well deserved.

I don't think it's delusional, scapegoating, mental or whatever else to ask some questions of Stubbs as it stands now. A lot of the issues that are costing us points this season are the same failings that costs us points in similar circumstances last season. We don't score enough goals and we lose a few sloppy ones. That's a pretty toxic mix in football and is going to cause any team problems. We enjoy a lot of possession, win a lot of corners and tend to have a fair few shots at goal but a lot of the time we struggle to create real clear cut chances. If that persists Stubbs has to respond, if he doesn't then more people will start to questiom him.

In an ideal world we will be promoted and continue with Stubbs as I firmly believe he utilises a system that would be far more effective against better teams than those we play on a weekly basis currently. Unfortunately it's up to Stubbs and his team to make sure that system gets us into that position or he needs to change it for one that will. I accept that should we fail to go up then parting company with Stubbs would be a huge risk but not that much more of a risk than persisting with him in a league that will be ultra competitive again next year. The idea that if someone can't name a suitable replacement off the top of their head then they shouldn't express an opinion is a nonsense argument, I'll wager not 1 person mentioned Stubbs as a possible replacement for Butcher before he was appointed.

Anyway hopefully all of the above will be hypothetical rubbish as we still have plenty games to ensure this season is a successful one. It's up to Stubbs to get the best out his players and himself and go on and make it happen.

1987kev
14-03-2016, 11:57 AM

Stubbs has been back when was the last manager to back like Stubbs? Fighting Falkirk for second is a joke. Felon got us 2 finals in a row doesn't mean he was a good manager or a successful manager, if we don't go up it rebuild to the team again

Ozyhibby
14-03-2016, 11:58 AM

We have spent more money than the teams who are beating us as well.
My biggest complaint is we are only 3 points better of than we were this time last season. We knew at the beginning of the season that would not be good enough. We also knew that we would need to start scoring more goals. Those are two giant failures of this season. Stubbs does not even acknowledge those problems exist.

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2016, 11:59 AM
We have spent more money than the teams who are beating us as well.
My biggest complaint is we are only 3 points better of than we were this time last season. We knew at the beginning of the season that would not be good enough. We also knew that we would need to start scoring more goals. Those are two giant failures of this season. Stubbs does not even acknowledge those problems exist.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHow do you know this?

1987kev
14-03-2016, 12:03 PM
Our style of football for one. There's no denying that! Or was the style of football before him better?

The whole club in general has changed, when was the last time you seen a group of players fight for eachother and fight until the end? That for me, is a reflection of the management.

We are going through a bad patch just now, but believe me, things have changed for the better since he's came in. Players have to take some blame for yesterday as well and not just Stubbs!

We look better cause we play against rubbish every week we were a better football team last season. Home record I'm sorry but we should b beating everyone at home

Thecat23
14-03-2016, 12:06 PM
Stubbs has been back when was the last manager to back like Stubbs? Fighting Falkirk for second is a joke. Felon got us 2 finals in a row doesn't mean he was a good manager or a successful manager, if we don't go up it rebuild to the team again

Every manager that has come in last 7 years has been backed not just Stubbs. To compare Fenlon with Stubbs is laughable though because his players were gash bar Leigh, he didn't have a proper number 2, no scouts, and the training was no where near what was needed at a full time club.

Stubbs must learn from mistakes I'm not that stupid to see he has a lot to learn.

Ozyhibby
14-03-2016, 12:06 PM
How do you know this?

I've never heard him address the issue once. Maybe he does acknowledge it but doesn't know how to fix it? Either way, it's not good.

Thecat23
14-03-2016, 12:11 PM
We look better cause we play against rubbish every week we were a better football team last season. Home record I'm sorry but we should b beating everyone at home

Now your talking rubbish. Hibs are a better side this season. Beating Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee Utd, St Johnstone shows we can mix it with the best. We find it hard breaking teams down and that's the problem we need to address.

Ozyhibby
14-03-2016, 12:13 PM
Now your talking rubbish. Hibs are a better side this season. Beating Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee Utd, St Johnstone shows we can mix it with the best. We find it hard breaking teams down and that's the problem we need to address.

How long do you think we need to address this problem that we also had last season?

1987kev
14-03-2016, 12:14 PM
Every manager that has come in last 7 years has been backed not just Stubbs. To compare Fenlon with Stubbs is laughable though because his players were gash bar Leigh, he didn't have a proper number 2, no scouts, and the training was no where near what was needed at a full time club.

Stubbs must learn from mistakes I'm not that stupid to see he has a lot to learn.

No where near as Stubbs as b with signings. I'm not comparing them you said Stubbs got us in semi and final and I'm pointing out felon got us to 2 finals in row and he was honking

Thecat23
14-03-2016, 12:15 PM
How long do you think we need to address this problem that we also had last season?

Maybe we are trying to address it? If not then we will continue to break teams down! I'm still confident of going up. I know that goes against the grain but I'm a positive person and feel Stubbs is more than good enough to do it.

Thecat23
14-03-2016, 12:17 PM
No where near as Stubbs as b with signings. I'm not comparing them you said Stubbs got us in semi and final and I'm pointing out felon got us to 2 finals in row and he was honking

Yes they have had as much as Stubbs believe it or not!

1987kev
14-03-2016, 12:18 PM

Disagree this cup run as paper over cracks we are miles off the league fighting out with Falkirk for second is a joke

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-03-2016, 12:18 PM

Beating Rangers, Aberdeen, St Johnstone and Dundee Utd too..

SeanWilson
14-03-2016, 12:19 PM
Maybe we are trying to address it? If not then we will continue to break teams down! I'm still confident of going up. I know that goes against the grain but I'm a positive person and feel Stubbs is more than good enough to do it.

It's actually hilarious that folks are calling for his head. We've had a bad couple of weeks and he's made some mistakes but you have to ask, if we punt Stubbs, which particular rabbit are we able to pull out to replace him??

He's built a cracking team, he's learning on the job, the feel good factor has been restored from top to bottom and I sincerely hope he gets what he deserves and that's this team playing in the premiership next year.

Thecat23
14-03-2016, 12:23 PM
It's actually hilarious that folks are calling for his head. We've had a bad couple of weeks and he's made some mistakes but you have to ask, if we punt Stubbs, which particular rabbit are we able to pull out to replace him??

He's built a cracking team, he's learning on the job, the feel good factor has been restored from top to bottom and I sincerely hope he gets what he deserves and that's this team playing in the premiership next year.

I honestly think he will take us up. Then the first defeat in the Prem the same folk will be on and asking why we aren't top, winning the Scottish and League cup and not qualifying for the CL.

Ok that's far fetched, take away the CL 😉

Thecat23
14-03-2016, 12:25 PM
Disagree this cup run as paper over cracks we are miles off the league fighting out with Falkirk for second is a joke

What cracks? Do you go weekly, not having a go I'm asking do you not see how well we can play and when it clicks we dominate teams. You don't beat so many Prem teams if you are a bad side so I've no idea what you mean.

HIBERNIAN-0762
14-03-2016, 12:26 PM
I don't think it's wrong that people are asking certain questions about Stubbs.

I think everyone accepts he inherited a total shambles and done well to put a relatively competitive team on the park pretty quickly. We had some good performances and results last season balanced by a fair few poor ones and come the end of the season we probably didn't do enough to deserve to go up. Most accepted that as they realised the circumstances.

As it stands this season we have had 1 fantatstic cup run and 1 cup run that has been very good and could go on to also be fantastic. Our league performance is very marginally better than last year points wise despite us being a place worse off. The only time Stubbs can really be judged on that though is come May, if we fail in the play offs then there will be criticism that is well deserved.

I don't think it's delusional, scapegoating, mental or whatever else to ask some questions of Stubbs as it stands now. A lot of the issues that are costing us points this season are the same failings that costs us points in similar circumstances last season. We don't score enough goals and we lose a few sloppy ones. That's a pretty toxic mix in football and is going to cause any team problems. We enjoy a lot of possession, win a lot of corners and tend to have a fair few shots at goal but a lot of the time we struggle to create real clear cut chances. If that persists Stubbs has to respond, if he doesn't then more people will start to questiom him.

In an ideal world we will be promoted and continue with Stubbs as I firmly believe he utilises a system that would be far more effective against better teams than those we play on a weekly basis currently. Unfortunately it's up to Stubbs and his team to make sure that system gets us into that position or he needs to change it for one that will. I accept that should we fail to go up then parting company with Stubbs would be a huge risk but not that much more of a risk than persisting with him in a league that will be ultra competitive again next year. The idea that if someone can't name a suitable replacement off the top of their head then they shouldn't express an opinion is a nonsense argument, I'll wager not 1 person mentioned Stubbs as a possible replacement for Butcher before he was appointed.

Anyway hopefully all of the above will be hypothetical rubbish as we still have plenty games to ensure this season is a successful one. It's up to Stubbs to get the best out his players and himself and go on and make it happen.

Great post.

SeanWilson
14-03-2016, 12:27 PM
I honestly think he will take us up. Then the first defeat in the Prem the same folk will be on and asking why we aren't top, winning the Scottish and League cup and not qualifying for the CL.

Ok that's far fetched, take away the CL 

Why aren't we in the CL though? :greengrin

Thecat23
14-03-2016, 12:29 PM
Why aren't we in the CL though? :greengrin

Don't Sean because there is one or two on here who's daft enough to start thinking that and use it against Stubbs 😂

ancient hibee
We'll go up then everyone on here will be wetting themselves in case Stubbs leaves.

1987kev
Beating Rangers, Aberdeen, St Johnstone and Dundee Utd too..

Means nothing if you don't win the cup. It's crunch time in the season Since February we have played 10 and won 3 but it alright cause we won those games

1987kev
14-03-2016, 12:30 PM
What cracks? Do you go weekly, not having a go I'm asking do you not see how well we can play and when it clicks we dominate teams. You don't beat so many Prem teams if you are a bad side so I've no idea what you mean.

Won 3 of the 10 games

Thecat23
14-03-2016, 12:37 PM
Won 3 of the 10 games

So that's the cracks? A bad spell and the whole season is a failure? If we go up will you want him out because of these cracks you have noticed because surely you won't want the same next season?

Hibernia&Alba
14-03-2016, 12:38 PM
We'll go up then everyone on here will be wetting themselves in case Stubbs leaves.

It could be a possible scenario! If we get promoted after also reaching a cup final (perhaps two!) we may find it hard to keep him. We just don't know yet; let's see what happens in the play offs. I'm of the opinion we have a good young manager who I hope stays, even f we don't win promotion. It seems to me we're on the right track at the moment. Things are by no means perfect and he'll make mistakes, but from what I've seen thus far, I have confidence in his ability to develop and improve. Another change in the close season would mean losing the continuity and starting afresh once again, whereas I'm hoping we build upon what we have.

NAE NOOKIE
14-03-2016, 12:40 PM
I'm no expert on formations ... in fact at times I would be pushed to tell a 442 from a 11111111111. But what I can see is that sometimes his game management is suspect.

With 10 minutes to go on Sunday we were pushing everything forward looking for a winner. Considering that we lost the first goal on the break after losing the ball in midfield and that only a few weeks ago Morton picked us off 3 times in pretty well the same way I would have been instructing the team to take extra care of our own final 3rd .... not letting them go gung ho in a situation where extra time was available and being caught on the break could lead to disaster with no time to rescue the situation, as proved to be the case.

With 4 minutes injury time to go after RC's second goal all that was left to us was to lump the ball into the box and hope for a break ...... why the hell in that situation would you leave the clubs best forward in the air by a mile ( Farid ) on the bench?

As far as the players go I really don't think anybody let us down and I certainly am not looking for a scapegoat ..... but Stokes has a question mark over him for me. You can see he has super control, is good at finding space and holds the ball well .... but where are the goals? When you take a relatively young but experienced player from Celtic looking to prove to his manager that he's an idiot for dropping him and show that there is a gulf in class between Scottish footballs mere mortals and the £10,000 a week staff at Celtic you expect better .... or at least I do ..... his job is to score goals and he isn't doing it.

As for Thomson ......... I didn't want to go back. I was afraid that Hibs momentum as a club would take a hit by going back to a player whose time at Hibs has never been blessed with good fortune. Nothing even to do with ability .... more to do with a complete change from the years that have brought us low. What I have seen since he re joined isn't changing my mind. Its irrational and almost certainly nothing to do with him, but I just think any connection between Hibs and KT is never going to end happily ever after.

All that being said I will judge Stubbs at the end of the season and not before and even then if we don't get to be where we want or need to be it will be on the basis of, does he deserve another chance and if he doesn't who could we attract who could do better ...... as things stand I for one cant think who that would be.

Ozyhibby
14-03-2016, 12:41 PM
Don't Sean because there is one or two on here who's daft enough to start thinking that and use it against Stubbs [emoji23]

Hilarious. Your attributing expectations to me without any foundation.
I hope you are right and Stubbs turns it around and we are promoted and he works out how to get us scoring goals.
My expectations for Hibs is that we start to compete with Hearts. I don't think that's unreasonable but it may be to much for you.

BSEJVT
14-03-2016, 12:41 PM

To be honest with you style is a luxury we don't need to consider at present.

It has to be substance, there are very few Hibs supporters who would have complained had we won every game 1-0 and been promoted.

I hear style a lot but that style hasn't brought us many goals over 2 seasons, one mans style is another's showboating repetition.

Style without results is meaningless.

The players jobs are to score goals at one end and keep them out at the other.

Unfortunately in the past few weeks they seem to have got their ends confused!

Thecat23
14-03-2016, 12:46 PM
Hilarious. Your attributing expectations to me without any foundation.
I hope you are right and Stubbs turns it around and we are promoted and he works out how to get us scoring goals.
My expectations for Hibs is that we start to compete with Hearts. I don't think that's unreasonable but it may be to much for you.

Sorry point to where I said you?

To much for me? Nope I'd also like the same nothing wrong with that at all. But since I understand that maybe your as thick as me eh 👍🏼

ancient hibee
14-03-2016, 12:46 PM

It has to be substance, there are very few Hibs supporters who would have complained had we won every game 1-0 and been promoted.

I hear style a lot but that style hasn't brought us many goals over 2 seasons, one mans style is another's showboating repetition.

Do you remember the skids being put under Mixu because he had the temerity to play for a draw at home against a very good Celtic side(which we got).

Dashing Bob S
14-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Football is a results based game and nobody should be beyond criticism. Stubbs was being lauded as a god on here just a few weeks ago, and talked about vacancies at wealthier clubs in the press.

Now we are in a major slump, and it's a big test for him to get us out of it.

People have finger pointed at Stokes, as destablizing influence, or Stubbs himself, getting a bit carried away and losing his focus after being linked with other jobs.

Whether any of these theories hold water, nobody can say. All they do, from our point of view, is spread negativity.

I think it's simply that other teams have sussed us out. We don't width other than two increasingly creaky wing backs, vulnerable to counter-attack on the flanks, so they just pack the middle to stop us playing through to the strikers. We either have to up the pace and movement, if we stick to that plan (Stokes and Thomson perhaps not the best personnel for that) or alter things to bring in more width. Stubbs has been unlucky in that Harris has dropped out the picture through poor form, and Carmichael has had an injurious start to his Hibs career.

His measure as a manager will be how he responds to this slump.

It's strange how a few weeks can change perceptions. In many's eyes he's gone from being a premiership manager or having a CL campaign with Celtic, to being sacked by Hibs if we fail to be promoted. Big pressure on him now - how he and the players handle it will be instructive.

Northernhibee
14-03-2016, 12:50 PM
Do you remember the skids being put under Mixu because he had the temerity to play for a draw at home against a very good Celtic side(which we got).

Let's be honest, the Hibs managers job is a poisoned chalice. Not as big a budget as Rangers and fickle armchair expert supporters. No matter what you do it's the wrong thing.

Dublin07
14-03-2016, 12:52 PM

If you think finishing behind a team with at least 5 times our budget is a joke you are seriously delusional. Falkirk have had a great season and have done well to push us for second.
We have had a poor run recently because we have missed key players and therefore struggled to break teams down. Rangers have not had any injuries all season. League was already won by the time waghorn got injured.
Sorry forget sense you and oz are right lets sack Stubbs and appoint a decent manager like mourinho then we can set sensible achievable targets like the champions league.

SeanWilson
14-03-2016, 12:52 PM
All that being said I will judge Stubbs at the end of the season and not before and even then if we don't get to be where we want or need to be it will be on the basis of, does he deserve another chance and if he doesn't who could we attract who could do better ...... as things stand I for one cant think who that would be.

Jimmy Calderwoods' been touting himself about for a job recently :greengrin:greengrin

1987kev
14-03-2016, 12:53 PM
If we didn't have the cup run beating those teams would you b happy we were in the league? We should b winning by 3/4 most weeks it's been 1/2 all season. On our day we can beat anyone in a 1 off game .

BSEJVT

Yes I do, I didn't agree with it then and don't now but we are talking about a Hibs team in the Championship, the Championship FFS for a second consecutive year, not the SPL.

I long for the days that a Hibs team plays with style, but I long for a return to the SPL far more.

Andy74

Or the two week thread after we won 1-0 away to Partick.

Many of the posters who had agitated agains previous managers seem to giving the current one a lot of leeway. That is positive because we can't keep changing after every bad spell. That said Stubbs needs to get us promoted and if he does not then the way he approaches things needs questioned or addressed. Hearts and Rangers found success with pace and power. We've gone a different way and do we risk it not working again next year?

1987kev
14-03-2016, 12:59 PM
If you think finishing behind a team with at least 5 times our budget is a joke you are seriously delusional. Falkirk have had a great season and have done well to push us for second.
We have had a poor run recently because we have missed key players and therefore struggled to break teams down. Rangers have not had any injuries all season. League was already won by the time waghorn got injured.
Sorry forget sense you and oz are right lets sack Stubbs and appoint a decent manager like mourinho then we can set sensible achievable targets like the champions league.

The yams piss the league and now rangers we have a big enough budget to b a lot closer than what we are why should he kept is job if we don't go up?

SeanWilson
14-03-2016, 12:59 PM

Many of the posters who had agitated agains previous managers seem to giving the current one a lot of leeway. That is positive because we can't keep changing after every bad spell. That said Stubbs needs to get us promoted and if he does not then the way he approaches things needs questioned or addressed. Hearts and Rangers found success with pace and power. We've gone a different way and do we risk it not working again next year?

I really like our way, i've said it before but for me its just lack of cohesion between midfield and up front. We play some superb football but kind of miss a malonga type or Dylan when he's not in the team to connect the dots. LH and JMcG are absolutely brilliant individual footballers but they are still young and learning and we need someone on the pitch that can turn their class in to goals.

DH1875
14-03-2016, 01:03 PM
Let's be honest, the Hibs managers job is a poisoned chalice. Not as big a budget as Rangers and fickle armchair expert supporters. No matter what you do it's the wrong thing.

Couldn't care less about Rangers. Compare our budget and players to Falkirk's, Raith Rovers, Hamilton's and Partick Thistles cause these are the clubs we'll be facing in the playoffs. If and at this stage it's still a pretty big IF we get beat in the playoffs then of course we should be questioning our next move.

Diclonius
14-03-2016, 01:08 PM
Next manager GTF, out of his depth. And the guy we'll appoint in 2019 is clearly clueless, WTF was Petrie thinking? Ahm no goin back till we win the Scottish Cup twice in a row in the same season. Shambles.

Hi Heid Yin
14-03-2016, 01:20 PM

I couldn't agree more!

Gerard
14-03-2016, 01:24 PM
I couldn't agree more!

The club can't keep sacking managers every 18 to 24 months as that is a main part of why we are in the CL. AS needs a reasonable period of time to see what he can do with the club

J-C
14-03-2016, 01:26 PM

And you honestly think The Rangers players are 5 x better than Hibs players, money only pays wages it doesn't make then any better, just look at Leicester.

Turkish Green
14-03-2016, 01:31 PM
Did Rangers' budget last season get them promotion? No, Hearts and then Motherwell saw them off quite convincingly.

This season, the championship was close up to week 21 with Rangers, Hibs and Falkirk within 3 pts of each other. In the last 6 league games Hibs record is W1 D2 L3 while Rangers is W5 D1 L0.

It was this time last season (March 2015) where Hibs had a run of bad results right before the SCSF against Falkirk. It looks like it is repeating itself. My worry is that if Hibs blow 2nd place they will have to go through 3 play-off rounds which they do not have the consistency for.

Overcoming Falkirk will be difficult enough, especially if they manage 2nd. Then two games against either bHamilton, Kilmarnock, ICT or Partick with the home leg first will be even harder.

Another season in the championship beckons unless Stubbs can pull it around.

J-C
The club can't keep sacking managers every 18 to 24 months as that is a main part of why we are in the CL. AS needs a reasonable period of time to see what he can do with the club

He also has to start learning from his errors, continuing with the diamond and bizarre substitutions are 2 things he should be looking at changing, if he can't then we need someone in who can take the next steps Stubbs can't take. There are now big question marks hanging over Stubbs head right now, 2 Hampden appearances and 2 similar results added to the losses to lesser teams in this pishy league, unless he addresses these then we may have to look elsewhere.

Ozyhibby

The club do need to work out why we are failing though. If it's not the manager then they need to work out exactly what it is.
How long do we need to wait for them to turn things around. We are in the exact same position as last season. There has been no improvement in our situation.

Onion
14-03-2016, 01:37 PM
Stubbs is a decent manager and better than our previous clowns. Yes, we've just lost a Cup Final to Ross County and it hurts like Hell, but Stubbs lead us to the final beating good Prem opposition and we've just beat Hearts over two legs - no mean feat for any Hibs manager !

IMO Stubbs and some of our players have started to believe their own press and have lost focus. Getting far too cocky and need to get back to basics. Speculation around Stubbs, Cummings etc and the arrival of Stokes has derailed Hibs push for the league and probably cost us the cup yesterday.

Only positive to come from yesterday, is very big question marks now hang over his suitability for Celtic job (and possibly other jobs) so we might have an option to keep him in the summer. He's still learning and good as any candidate out there.

My other conclusion from yesterday is ... we should definitely sell Cummings while his stock is high. A £1M + offer int eh summer should be snapped up and money used to strength team or retain best players.

DH1875
14-03-2016, 01:57 PM
Did Rangers' budget last season get them promotion? No, Hearts and then Motherwell saw them off quite convincingly.

This season, the championship was close up to week 21 with Rangers, Hibs and Falkirk within 3 pts of each other. In the last 6 league games Hibs record is W1 D2 L3 while Rangers is W5 D1 L0.

It was this time last season (March 2015) where Hibs had a run of bad results right before the SCSF against Falkirk. It looks like it is repeating itself. My worry is that if Hibs blow 2nd place they will have to go through 3 play-off rounds which they do not have the consistency for.

Overcoming Falkirk will be difficult enough, especially if they manage 2nd. Then two games against either bHamilton, Kilmarnock, ICT or Partick with the home leg first will be even harder.

Another season in the championship beckons unless Stubbs can pull it around.

Rangers sacked their manager. Like I've said before, lose in the playoffs then depending on the circumstances of the loss, Stubbs could and possibly should lose his job.
Heck we could still win promotion and the Scottish cup, need to wait and see what happens.

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2016, 02:06 PM
Strange that he gets more grief for losing the final than he would if Aberdeen had put us out at ER.

Ozyhibby
14-03-2016, 02:12 PM
Strange that he gets more grief for losing the final than he would if Aberdeen had put us out at ER.

It's not really about the final for me, as disappointing as it was. It's the long term problem that our style of play does not bring us enough goals and the fact that the problem has not been addressed in nearly two years.

SeanWilson
14-03-2016, 02:20 PM
It's not really about the final for me, as disappointing as it was. It's the long term problem that our style of play does not bring us enough goals and the fact that the problem has not been addressed in nearly two years.

i might be completely f'n mental but what about 433? JMcG/Bartley (or FF or DM)/Hendo and AS/JC and either Boyle or Keating up top, back 4 fit picks itself.

Stokes always wants to come wide for the ball anyway and you could either play with two centre forwards and keatings in behind or three spread out with JC in the middle and Boyle out wide.

Yeah, f'n mental. :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2016, 02:23 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMaybe you're right but we scored enough goals to win yesterday.

Thecat23
14-03-2016, 02:29 PM

That's a sensible post about how we approach it. Stubbs has brought loads of positives as I'm sure most can see but the lack of goals is an issue. I hope if the worst happens and we didn't go up Stubbs brings in fresh talent that can replace Jason and Stokes!

But I still think we'll go up Andy. Or I'm hoping we do anyway.

Ozyhibby
14-03-2016, 02:42 PM
i might be completely f'n mental but what about 433? JMcG/Bartley (or FF or DM)/Hendo and AS/JC and either Boyle or Keating up top, back 4 fit picks itself.

Stokes always wants to come wide for the ball anyway and you could either play with two centre forwards and keatings in behind or three spread out with JC in the middle and Boyle out wide.

Yeah, f'n mental. :greengrin

Nothing should be ruled out. We need solutions.

emerald green
14-03-2016, 02:45 PM
This post is like going from 0-60 but in reverse.

Sorry, but I don't get what you're trying to say. Maybe I'm a bit stupid, but can you be a bit less cryptic. Thanks. :confused:

WoreTheGreen
14-03-2016, 02:47 PM
Have said all season lack off goals will cost us rarelly felt comfortable being a goal up because every team will have a couple of chances which leads to a goal . We seem to just get over the winning line .AS got hjs work cut out please prove wrong.Still raw today

blackpoolhibs
14-03-2016, 03:13 PM
That's a sensible post about how we approach it. Stubbs has brought loads of positives as I'm sure most can see but the lack of goals is an issue. I hope if the worst happens and we didn't go up Stubbs brings in fresh talent that can replace Jason and Stokes!

But I still think we'll go up Andy. Or I'm hoping we do anyway.
Most of all the positives are because we put a run together in a mickey mouse league. Now we are in a fight with Falkirk for 2nd place. If people argue we shouldn't be anywhere near sevco because of their spending power, should we not be doing better than Falkirk, is that how it works now. My main gripe with Stubbs is he keeps making the same mistakes over and over again. Why cant hibs bulldoze teams by overpowering them, why is it we always have to end up failing because our silky football gets found out. Stubbs team selections and substitutions yesterday were baffling, not for the first time.

And of course theres obviously nobody out there who could possibly do better, we just need to blindly follow the man who seems to never learn. Thats just bollox.

DaveF
14-03-2016, 03:16 PM
Maybe you're right but we scored enough goals to win yesterday.

Did we? Damn it I must have missed them :greengrin

greenpaper55
14-03-2016, 03:23 PM
Couldn't believe the tactics that we used in the second half as it looked like Butcher tactics all over again, every long ball forward was won by an opponent, every long goal kick was won by an opponent so why do we not have a fit striker of some stature to win some of these ?. Without a man to hold the ball up and bring other forwards into the game we are a one trick pony that is so easy to play against.

HappyAsHellas
14-03-2016, 03:25 PM
And of course theres obviously nobody out there who could possibly do better, we just need to blindly follow the man who seems to never learn. Thats just bollox.

Leeann said that we were building a philosophy about how we wanted to play the game, and any future managers would have to believe in the same system which would make a managerial change a lot smoother. She may have to implement something along these lines if we fail to go up this season.

jeffers
14-03-2016, 03:51 PM
Does anyone know what the latest is with Farid's fitness ? He came on against Morton, looked OK, scored against Dumbarton but hasn't figured since. Yesterday (and last Sunday) was crying out for him especially when we resorted to high balls up to Fontaine in the last few minutes. If Stubbs has no intention of playing him why is he on the bench ??

Thecat23
14-03-2016, 04:05 PM
Most of all the positives are because we put a run together in a mickey mouse league. Now we are in a fight with Falkirk for 2nd place. If people argue we shouldn't be anywhere near sevco because of their spending power, should we not be doing better than Falkirk, is that how it works now. My main gripe with Stubbs is he keeps making the same mistakes over and over again. Why cant hibs bulldoze teams by overpowering them, why is it we always have to end up failing because our silky football gets found out. Stubbs team selections and substitutions yesterday were baffling, not for the first time.

I've never said there isn't anyone better to start with. I just think we'd be mad to sack him. He does need to learn and learn fast. Season isn't over so I'll wait till the last game to see where we are. If it's back in the Prem superb, if not then everyone including Leeann should sit down and see what approach we can make for next season.

hibeerealist
14-03-2016, 04:21 PM
most of all the positives are because we put a run together in a mickey mouse league. Now we are in a fight with falkirk for 2nd place. If people argue we shouldn't be anywhere near sevco because of their spending power, should we not be doing better than falkirk, is that how it works now. My main gripe with stubbs is he keeps making the same mistakes over and over again. Why cant hibs bulldoze teams by overpowering them, why is it we always have to end up failing because our silky football gets found out. Stubbs team selections and substitutions yesterday were baffling, not for the first time.

this!

heretoday
14-03-2016, 04:23 PM
Couldn't believe the tactics that we used in the second half as it looked like Butcher tactics all over again, every long ball forward was won by an opponent, every long goal kick was won by an opponent so why do we not have a fit striker of some stature to win some of these ?. Without a man to hold the ball up and bring other forwards into the game we are a one trick pony that is so easy to play against.

Malonga.......

Dashing Bob S
14-03-2016, 04:48 PM

I agree that we really need to be able to switch our game plan up. We should have players with the strength, athleticism, pace and skill to be putting teams, particularly in the lower half of a poor league, to the sword. Instead they just jam the midfield, knowing that we play slavishly down the middle. Not advocating hoofball -I'd rather wallow down here and watch decent play than subject myself to that rubbish in the Premier- but we ought to be able to alter our approaches more.

Onion
14-03-2016, 05:08 PM

Maybe, but the last 2 weeks will have hurt Stubbs prospects just as much as Hibs', perhaps even more. If we do get promoted, the last 5 or 6 games might just be the reason we get to keep him for another season or two.

Captain Trips
14-03-2016, 05:42 PM

I have to agree with this.

NAE NOOKIE
14-03-2016, 05:46 PM
Stubbs is a decent manager and better than our previous clowns. Yes, we've just lost a Cup Final to Ross County and it hurts like Hell, but Stubbs lead us to the final beating good Prem opposition and we've just beat Hearts over two legs - no mean feat for any Hibs manager !

IMO Stubbs and some of our players have started to believe their own press and have lost focus. Getting far too cocky and need to get back to basics. Speculation around Stubbs, Cummings etc and the arrival of Stokes has derailed Hibs push for the league and probably cost us the cup yesterday.

Only positive to come from yesterday, is very big question marks now hang over his suitability for Celtic job (and possibly other jobs) so we might have an option to keep him in the summer. He's still learning and good as any candidate out there.

My other conclusion from yesterday is ... we should definitely sell Cummings while his stock is high. A £1M + offer int eh summer should be snapped up and money used to strength team or retain best players.

A guy I play football with asked me about Cummings today....... "I haven't seen Cummings play until yesterday, what's all the fuss about?" was his assessment ..... If JC is going to attract bids of anything like a million quid at the end of this season he needs to get his mojo back PDQ