PDA

View Full Version : SPFL .. How to screw up a national cup final, 101

NAE NOOKIE
10-03-2016, 07:07 PM
1 ..... Play it on a Sunday, without any consideration that this can cause travel problems for fans coming from the north of Scotland, or that they will have work and school on the Monday morning ... which has definitely affected RC ticket sales.

2 ..... Schedule it directly against a Scotland rugby home game ... tickets for which have been on sale for months, reducing the number of folk who would have attended coz they have already bought rugby tickets and making armchair 'fans' choose what game to watch, diluting the TV audience as well.

3 ..... Schedule a relaying of the pitch 7 days before the game is due to be played.

Have I missed anything?

Mind you ............ I'd rather be in it than not :greengrin

Giro Playboy
10-03-2016, 07:14 PM
1 ..... Play it on a Sunday, without any consideration that this can cause travel problems for fans coming from the north of Scotland, or that they will have work and school on the Monday morning ... which has definitely affected RC ticket sales.

2 ..... Schedule it directly against a Scotland rugby home game ... tickets for which have been on sale for months, reducing the number of folk who would have attended coz they have already bought rugby tickets and making armchair 'fans' choose what game to watch, diluting the TV audience as well.

:greengrin If I had rugby tickets for the same day Hibs were in a cup final I know what I would be doing with the tickets.... Punted or left in a drawer

Mr White
10-03-2016, 07:17 PM

3 ..... Schedule a relaying of the pitch 7 days before the game is due to be played.

Have I missed anything?

The pitch you've got a point with no doubt but the first 2...

league cup finals have been played on sundays for many many years and at the same time as other sports without issue in the past. Sure wasn't our 91 cup win played on a sunday at the same time as Scotland and England played a rugby world cup semi-final?

Billy Whizz

Have I missed anything?

You have, and no cup parade for either team, as they have to play in 3 days after the final

Bristolhibby
OP makes valid points though.

Sunday? Why?

6 Nations fixtures have been out for 2 years, what was wrong with Saturday at 15:00?

J

Billy Whizz
10-03-2016, 07:18 PM

Sunday? Why?

6 Nations fixtures have been out for 2 years, what was wrong with Saturday at 15:00?

J

It would have to have been 12.15 or 5.30 on the Saturday

Brightside
10-03-2016, 07:18 PM

Sunday? Why?

J

They should have cancelled the "6 nations" of b level rugger.

marinello59
10-03-2016, 07:21 PM
I'm looking forward to this cursed cup final even less after reading this thread. What a pain in the arse it is. I really wish we weren't in it.

tanfield
10-03-2016, 07:22 PM
The pitch you've got a point with no doubt but the first 2...

league cup finals have been played on sundays for many many years and at the same time as other sports without issue in the past. Sure wasn't our 91 cup win played on a sunday at the same time as Scotland and England played a rugby world cup semi-final?

Rugby semi final was the day before we played in 91

Mr White
10-03-2016, 07:24 PM
Rugby semi final was the day before we played in 91

Gaaaah, you got me, did Scotland play a match when we won in 07? :greengrin

hibbybob
10-03-2016, 07:26 PM
It would have to have been 12.15 or 5.30 on the Saturday

Good point!

The English League Cup final was on a Sunday too.

jgl07
10-03-2016, 07:27 PM

Have I missed anything

Yes you have despite spraffing *****:

Point One: it will always be on a Sunday as it it televised unless you want in at lunchtime or teatime.

Point Two: Are we beholden to the Rugger Buggers. Should we jump about to have our fixtures determined by the blazered brigade?

Point Three: Ok let's play the match on a ploughed field so that there will be a nice relayed pitch a week after the final.

You missed most of the real SPFL cock-ups specifically the drip feed of tickets block by block that has severely pissed off a lot of supporters.

stoneyburn hibs
10-03-2016, 07:34 PM
I'm looking forward to this cursed cup final even less after reading this thread. What a pain in the arse it is. I really wish we weren't in it.

My guess is that you wanted to have the hamsters memorial service on Sunday.

Mr White
10-03-2016, 07:37 PM

What? And clash with the rugby? You insensitive **** :greengrin

Heedersnvolleys
10-03-2016, 07:37 PM
If I had rugby tickets for the same day Hibs were in a cup final I know what I would be doing with the tickets.... Punted or left in a drawer

Yeah I have tickets for the rugby, with my brother, his girlfriend, my wife and 2 girls.

Managed to sell my ticket and my oldest daughters as we are going to the final

GGTTH

marinello59
10-03-2016, 07:38 PM

Does nobody think about the hamsters? :boo hoo:

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-03-2016, 07:42 PM
Yeah I have tickets for the rugby, with my brother, his girlfriend, my wife and 2 girls.

Managed to sell my ticket and my oldest daughters as we are going to the final

GGTTH

How much did you get for your oldest daughters? ;-o

jgl07
10-03-2016, 07:43 PM

Sunday? Why?

J
Because it could not have been televised live at that time. I paging the moans if that had happened.

marinello59
10-03-2016, 07:44 PM

:greengrin

tamig
10-03-2016, 07:44 PM

Have I missed anything?

Can't agree with much here other than pitch issue. As others have mentioned, League Cup finals have been played on Sundays for donkeys. Who gives a toss about the rugby if you're team is playing at the same time - never mind in a final. Fair enough point re the pitch.

MKHIBEE
10-03-2016, 07:46 PM
Does nobody think about the hamsters? :boo hoo:

Not since they gave up playing

Heedersnvolleys
10-03-2016, 07:46 PM

Face value ;-0

Greencore
10-03-2016, 07:50 PM
Not related but I have the flu an I am still going, how many loyalty points do I get for that ?

monktonharp
10-03-2016, 08:43 PM
I'm looking forward to this cursed cup final even less after reading this thread. What a pain in the arse it is. I really wish we weren't in it.say your piece why don't you. but, the points raised are all valid and to say that this particular competition has been decided on a Sunday for many many years, is stretching it a bit is it not? lots of things wrong with it being on this particular Sunday and you know it!

et_hibby
10-03-2016, 08:46 PM
:greengrin

:-)

et_hibby
10-03-2016, 08:47 PM
Face value ;-0

:-)

Bishop Hibee
10-03-2016, 08:50 PM
The only problem I have with it being a Sunday is that I won't be able to celebrate as long and hard as I would like to as I have to work Monday.

ekhibee
10-03-2016, 08:51 PM
as I said in another thread, the mistake was playing the replay in the same week as a cup final, not the other way round IMO.

Mr White
10-03-2016, 08:52 PM
say your piece why don't you. but, the points raised are all valid and to say that this particular competition has been decided on a Sunday for many many years, is stretching it a bit is it not? lots of things wrong with it being on this particular Sunday and you know it!

It's a fact that this competition has been decided on a sunday for many years. It's the rugby that's changed of late.

Real Emerald
10-03-2016, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE=monktonharp;4613743]say your piece why don't you. but, the points raised are all valid and to say that this particular competition has been decided on a Sunday for many many years, is stretching it a bit is it not? lots of things wrong with it being on this particular Sunday and you know it![/QUOT

Agree

Jdawg
10-03-2016, 09:23 PM
If I had rugby tickets for the same day Hibs were in a cup final I know what I would be doing with the tickets.... Punted or left in a drawer

If hibs were playing Alloa in the championship and I had tickets for the rugby on the same day/time I would still be at ER.

Steve-O
10-03-2016, 09:40 PM
It was on a Sunday in 2007 and 2003. I took the Monday off work. Simple really. Ross County fans should look into this annual leave thing too.

et_hibby
10-03-2016, 09:53 PM
If hibs were playing Alloa in the championship and I had tickets for the rugby on the same day/time I would still be at ER.

I'm with you!

Andy74
10-03-2016, 10:52 PM
as I said in another thread, the mistake was playing the replay in the same week as a cup final, not the other way round IMO.

The replay is in the week after the cup final surely, not the same week.

NAE NOOKIE
10-03-2016, 11:00 PM
Yes you have despite spraffing *****:

Point One: it will always be on a Sunday as it it televised unless you want in at lunchtime or teatime.

Point Two: Are we beholden to the Rugger Buggers. Should we jump about to have our fixtures determined by the blazered brigade?

Point Three: Ok let's play the match on a ploughed field so that there will be a nice relayed pitch a week after the final.

You missed most of the real SPFL cock-ups specifically the drip feed of tickets block by block that has severely pissed off a lot of supporters.

Spaffing ***** :greengrin

What is BBC1 or BB2 Scotland televising this Saturday that would prevent them showing the League cup final? ... BBC1 3:00pm 'Flog it' followed by 'Escape to the country ... BBC2 2:30 - 4:30pm SNP conference ....... Yup flagship viewing.

The reason you give for point 2 being wrong is as good an example as I could point to as to why Scottish football has been in the doldrums for over two decades, it is exactly that sort of blinkered thinking that had Barry Hearn telling the SFA / SPFL to their face that they were incompetent. The failure or refusal to acknowledge that times change and to face up to and find a way round the competition ... especially competition that's in direct conflict with you for paying customers and TV viewers .... The SFA 'blazers' would be proud of you mate.

Meanwhile this Sunday "the Rugger Blazer Brigade" will welcome 67,000 people through the gates paying 'double' the cost of a League Cup final ticket to watch a team that's been utter crap for over a decade in a dead rubber fixture ...... you don't go up against that, you find a way round it.

As for the pitch ......... I wasn't down on it being replaced, I was down on the timing ... there hasn't been a major football match played at Hampden since the Celtic v Ross County semi final at the end of January and the pitch was a mess well before then. Its well known that freshly laid pitches can have problems bedding in, especially in winter, how often have you seen a new laid pitch that looked like a bowling green at 3pm and the national divot museum by half time? The pitch should have been re laid weeks ago and QPFC told to bolt.

Even the bit you say the SPFL has got wrong turns out to be the one thing they have got right ..... they have a remit to look after the image of our game, something they are usually rubbish at. In this instance by selling tickets in a way that makes the stadium look as full as possible on the telly they are doing exactly what they should be doing to protect that image.

Aye ..... spaffing ***** right enough.

Real Emerald
10-03-2016, 11:09 PM

What is BBC1 or BB2 Scotland televising this Saturday that would prevent them showing the League cup final? ... BBC1 3:00pm 'Flog it' followed by 'Escape to the country ... BBC2 2:30 - 4:30pm SNP conference ....... Yup flagship viewing.

The reason you give for point 2 being wrong is as good an example as I could point to as to why Scottish football has been in the doldrums for over two decades, it is exactly that sort of blinkered thinking that had Barry Hearn telling the SFA / SPFL to their face that they were incompetent. The failure or refusal to acknowledge that times change and to face up to and find a way round the competition ... especially competition that's in direct conflict with you for paying customers and TV viewers .... The SFA 'blazers' would be proud of you mate.

Meanwhile this Sunday "the Rugger Blazer Brigade" will welcome 67,000 people through the gates paying 'double' the cost of a League Cup final ticket to watch a team that's been utter crap for over a decade in a dead rubber fixture ...... you don't go up against that, you find a way round it.

As for the pitch ......... I wasn't down on it being replaced, I was down on the timing ... there hasn't been a major football match played at Hampden since the Celtic v Ross County semi final at the end of January and the pitch was a mess well before then. Its well known that freshly laid pitches can have problems bedding in, especially in winter, how often have you seen a new laid pitch that looked like a bowling green at 3pm and the national divot museum by half time? The pitch should have been re laid weeks ago and QPFC told to bolt.

Even the bit you say the SPFL has got wrong turns out to be the one thing they have got right ..... they have a remit to look after the image of our game, something they are usually rubbish at. In this instance by selling tickets in a way that makes the stadium look as full as possible on the telly they are doing exactly what they should be doing to protect that image.

Great answer.

10-03-2016, 11:37 PM

Have I missed anything?

All for bashing SPFL when they're due it but think you've been a tad harsh on this.

1. The dates set when the fixtures are announced at the start of the season. Obviously before the finalists are known. It's a Cup Final and live on TV so cant be played at 3pm on a Saturday. It could be worse if a lunchtime or an early evening ko, especially for RC fans. Will it effect the RC support? Doubt it will that much. They took less than 10k to the Scottish Cup Final a few years ago only because their owner was buying tickets and issuing them out to the community. Not seen anything about him doing this again so my guess 7k from RC. Probably larger than the total population of Digwall so if they bring that sort of number fair play to them.

2. You can't get every sport to organise big event on different weekends. There isn't enough w/ends in the year. Let the rugby fans watch the rugby, the same as the golf, tennis or what ever other sport will be live on Sat or Cable channels. We live in the media age and its all about choices. My choice is to be at Hampden and if I'd bothered to buy rugby tickets they would be on sale again.

3. Don't think the replacing of the pitch was scheduled. It was a necessity because it had deteriorated because Queens Park play their home matches a Hampden - there lie the problem. Scotland's only amateur senior Club spoiling the pitch for the rest of Scottish Football. SPFL will have had zip to do with replacing the pitch, they don't run Hampden, they're only renting the stadium for the final.

Now if you want to have a pop at the SPFL get them to get the League Structure sorted out and get in a CEO that can drive the League forward instead Doncaster. Get someone in with commercial savvy that can sell and promote football in Scotland. Instead of this invisible man who only lifts his head above the para-pit when he wants to suck up to Celtic.

BoomtownHibees
11-03-2016, 12:21 AM
The replay is in the week after the cup final surely, not the same week.

No if Sunday is the first day of the week

Bristolhibby
11-03-2016, 01:44 AM
As has been mentioned 15:00 on Saturday isn't an option re TV.

Why the **** is that? Always wondered that. Is this a legal thing? If so change the law.

Seriously, is a Man U or Aberdeen fan not going to go to their 15:00 Saturday game because the Scottish LC Final is on?

While I'm at it, why not broadcast 15:00 games on Saturdays anyway?

Does a game being on the telly affect the numbers that much? And if it does have a blackout like they do in the NFL. For example, sell x% of tickets then the game is broadcasted, if not, then broadcast another sell out game.

TV money should more than compensate a club.

Was reading that in Holland fans can literally select whatever game they want on a PPV basis for something like €2 per game, and they have seen no impact on crowds.

J

FitbaFolkKen
11-03-2016, 01:47 AM

You can't show football live at 3pm on a Saturday and since the various items you bring up hinge around that it is unfortunate as "dems the rulez" .... flagship viewing or not in your eyes

Beefster
11-03-2016, 05:25 AM
I get the impression that Hibs getting to a cup final is just a hassle for some folk.

hibsbollah
11-03-2016, 05:41 AM
Is this a postmodern irony thread?

Yorkshire HFC
11-03-2016, 05:51 AM

Glass half empty - why not support the Scottish game? I'm sure it'll be a great day for the team that wins - and rubbish for the team that loses.

ruthven_raiders
11-03-2016, 05:55 AM
It was on a Sunday in 2007 and 2003. I took the Monday off work. Simple really. Ross County fans should look into this annual leave thing too.

Wish my kids could get annual leave too from school lol

Gmack7
11-03-2016, 06:02 AM
I get the impression that Hibs getting to a cup final is just a hassle for some folk.

It's defo a hassle, it's mothers day aswell

Not In The Know
11-03-2016, 06:13 AM
Leaving 2 completely emptying sections dividing the Hibs "home end"

J-C
11-03-2016, 06:22 AM
They will not show a live game on a saturday at 3pm whilst any league games are being played, it's not allowed. Scottish and English cup finals are different because it's the end of the season.

Rugby and football are different crowds, some supporters will cross but when it comes to a final, football guys will always choose football, we'll sell 30k+ and Murrayfield will still be a sell out.

The pitch I'll give you, should've been relaid weeks ago, or patched up.

Winston Ingram
11-03-2016, 06:29 AM

Have I missed anything?

League Cup Final is always been on Sunday as far back as i can remember and is part of the tradition of the competition.

Though i think the SFA is sham of an organisisation, they can't really be expected to move the game forward because one of the teams qualifying is from a an extremely small town in a remote part of the country. I think we should be thankful that they've not moved the kick off forward to 12.15.

Winston Ingram
11-03-2016, 06:30 AM
If i had tickets for the rugby and Hibs weren't playing, i'd still find something else to do.

hibbysam
11-03-2016, 06:35 AM
They will not show a live game on a saturday at 3pm whilst any league games are being played, it's not allowed. Scottish and English cup finals are different because it's the end of the season.

Rugby and football are different crowds, some supporters will cross but when it comes to a final, football guys will always choose football, we'll sell 30k+ and Murrayfield will still be a sell out.

The pitch I'll give you, should've been relaid weeks ago, or patched up.

In regards to the pitch, do you think Queen's Park should have been kicked out of their home just so they could relay a pitch?

Stokesy's on fire
11-03-2016, 06:51 AM
If i had tickets for the rugby and Hibs weren't playing, i'd still find something else to do.

Spot on

J-C
11-03-2016, 07:02 AM
In regards to the pitch, do you think Queen's Park should have been kicked out of their home just so they could relay a pitch?

The fact we're still playing cup finals at Hampden is a joke anyway, I'm sure the powers that be could've rearranged a couple of Queens Park games.

bigwheel
11-03-2016, 07:04 AM
The fact we're still playing cup finals at Hampden is a joke anyway, I'm sure the powers that be could've rearranged a couple of Queens Park games.

Where else would you want Cup Finals played?

tamig
11-03-2016, 07:06 AM
Glass half empty - why not support the Scottish game? I'm sure it'll be a great day for the team that wins - and rubbish for the team that loses.

I suspect there was an element of tongue in cheek about the post. Looks like a few others have fallen for it too. You don't really think any Hibby would not be excited about a final surely?

J-C
11-03-2016, 07:12 AM
Where else would you want Cup Finals played?

Well not there, even after it was done up it was a still a dump, never been a fan of Hampden, should've had a purpose built stadium in the heart of Scotland but we're stuck with this pace.

MB62
11-03-2016, 07:28 AM
Until I started reading this thread, I wasn't even aware the egg chasers were playing on Sunday, or if I did, I had completely forgotten about it.

Think the pitch being replaced at this particular time could cause a problem and I would be interested to know why this time was chosen?

Craig_HFC
11-03-2016, 08:43 AM
This thread is mental.

HIBEES 4 LIFE
11-03-2016, 08:48 AM

If it was on in my back garden, I'd shut the curtains

Andy74
11-03-2016, 08:50 AM
No if Sunday is the first day of the week

Never trusted anyone that thinks a week starts on a Sunday.

NAE NOOKIE
11-03-2016, 08:57 AM

Not so much kick them out of their home as shift them to the granny annex for a few weeks ....... I don't think they could object too much, after all without the fact that the place is used by the SFA and SPFL it would probably be doing a fair impression of Cathkin Park these days.

Andy74
11-03-2016, 09:01 AM
Not so much kick them out of their home as shift them to the granny annex for a few weeks ....... I don't think they could object too much, after all without the fact that the place is used by the SFA and SPFL it would probably be doing a fair impression of Cathkin Park these days.

Yep. It's a ridiculous arrangement for a national stadium. Should have been knocked down not renovated.