PDA

View Full Version : Ref for replay at inverness

Bill Milne
09-03-2016, 08:49 AM
I was under the impression that refs at cup games would, automatically, be in charge for the replay. To my surprise, the balloon who was in charge on Saturday has been replaced by Stephen Finnie. I don't know if that's an improvement but it can't be worse than Crawford Allan, surely!!

dp00
09-03-2016, 09:16 AM
I think they try to keep same ref but as these guys have job etc I'd imagine it's not always possible

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bill Milne
09-03-2016, 09:20 AM
[QUOTE=dp00;4612106]I think they try to keep same ref but as these guys have job etc I'd imagine it's not always possible

Yes, Craig Thomson was replaced for the Hertz replay, thank god, as he was on European duty.

Bayern Bru
09-03-2016, 09:34 AM
Finnie was fourth official at ER against ICT (I think)

erin go bragh
09-03-2016, 09:53 AM
I was under the impression that refs at cup games would, automatically, be in charge for the replay. To my surprise, the balloon who was in charge on Saturday has been replaced by Stephen Finnie. I don't know if that's an improvement but it can't be worse than Crawford Allan, surely!!
Good . Hopefully this guy doesn't let their players away with the rough house tactics the last bafoon did .

GGTTH

StevieT
09-03-2016, 10:32 AM
Finnie was fourth official at ER against ICT (I think)

He was indeed :agree:

pedroorange1875
09-03-2016, 10:55 AM
Great, he couldnt see a clear throw in to hibs when it was 1 foot in front of him on Sunday, and did nothing to point out to the ref the constant fouling, i dont hold out any hope he will even reach the current Scottish standard

JimBHibees
09-03-2016, 11:19 AM
He was indeed :agree:

What was your opinion of Allan's performance on Sunday?

StevieT
09-03-2016, 11:32 AM
What was your opinion of Allan's performance on Sunday?

I couldn't make the game due to refereeing commitments but have watched it on TV.

I thought that at times he was like a rabbit caught in the headlights. He tried to let the game flow which backfired as it then gave the ICT players the green light to do whatever they liked. They were able to commit fouls all over the park and get away with it with him 'playing advantage'. In many cases there was no real advantage but he was didn't bring it back for the original foul.

The penalty shout was a penalty however I think the movement of LH doesn't help. LH was over the line (in the penalty area) when the tackle was made. He then draws his foot back so that contact was made on the line. This backwards move then meant that the ICT player's foot landed outside the penalty area. Depending on the referee's view it could be inside (penalty), on the line (penalty) or outside (free kick). I think he played it safe.

The most annoying thing watching this game, and others, is the inconsistent application of the laws of the game. I know that the derby at ER was a different game and different circumstances but the approach by the referee in both games was completely different....both to our detriment.

Let's assume that JC was cautioned for kicking the ball away (end result was a red card) then the ICT player should have been cautioned in first half. The same player then had a swipe at DM near the corner flag, then barged him with his shoulder and again no caution. There was also no caution for the tackle on DG as he was attacking from a wide position. Yellow cards in cup ties can be crucial, especially in the case of replays and even further ties. One or more ICT players could have been out of the replay and yet we had players missing in the first game for similar offences in the derby.

PatHead
09-03-2016, 12:08 PM
I couldn't make the game due to refereeing commitments but have watched it on TV.

I thought that at times he was like a rabbit caught in the headlights. He tried to let the game flow which backfired as it then gave the ICT players the green light to do whatever they liked. They were able to commit fouls all over the park and get away with it with him 'playing advantage'. In many cases there was no real advantage but he was didn't bring it back for the original foul.

The penalty shout was a penalty however I think the movement of LH doesn't help. LH was over the line (in the penalty area) when the tackle was made. He then draws his foot back so that contact was made on the line. This backwards move then meant that the ICT player's foot landed outside the penalty area. Depending on the referee's view it could be inside (penalty), on the line (penalty) or outside (free kick). I think he played it safe.

The most annoying thing watching this game, and others, is the inconsistent application of the laws of the game. I know that the derby at ER was a different game and different circumstances but the approach by the referee in both games was completely different....both to our detriment.

Let's assume that JC was cautioned for kicking the ball away (end result was a red card) then the ICT player should have been cautioned in first half. The same player then had a swipe at DM near the corner flag, then barged him with his shoulder and again no caution. There was also no caution for the tackle on DG as he was attacking from a wide position. Yellow cards in cup ties can be crucial, especially in the case of replays and even further ties. One or more ICT players could have been out of the replay and yet we had players missing in the first game for similar offences in the derby.

Good post. Inconsistency is my biggest bugbear about referees