PDA

View Full Version : Latest Leeann Dempster interview

hibs0666
08-03-2016, 02:10 PM
No danger will we be able to bear another £800K loss next year if we are in this division again again next season.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/interview-hibs-chief-leeann-dempster-on-winning-cup-for-fans-1-4051094?

Peevemor
08-03-2016, 02:12 PM
No danger will we be able to bear another £800K loss next year if we are in this division again again next season.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/interview-hibs-chief-leeann-dempster-on-winning-cup-for-fans-1-4051094?

Why? Is STF going to pull the plug?

We could easily be promoted and make a similar loss.

hibs0666
08-03-2016, 02:19 PM
Why? Is STF going to pull the plug?

We could easily be promoted and make a similar loss.

I'd expect the club to re-trench if we are not promoted this time around.

JeMeSouviens
08-03-2016, 02:19 PM

Eh? The article says the complete opposite?

“There are no wheels coming off,” she says defiantly. And, if they don’t make it up this year, there will be no let up in the ambition.

“We lost around £800,000 last year and we are on target to be somewhere near that again but we have not done the work we have done in the past two years to rebuild the structure within this great club to just chuck it if the worst happens. You have to be bold.

hibs0666
08-03-2016, 02:21 PM
Eh? The article says the complete opposite?

Time will tell. I just hope that we don't ever have to find out.

JeMeSouviens
08-03-2016, 02:23 PM
Time will tell. I just hope that we don't ever have to find out.

True. The coming loss must be going to be less than they budgeted for surely? Nobody budgets for a cup final in one competition and 2 sell out derbies in the other.

Smartie
08-03-2016, 02:39 PM
The cup runs/ derbies/ TV games etc must have gone a fair way towards a shortfall of £800000 this season, no?

Rather than financial (I trust our board to manage to cut our cloth accordingly) my main concern would be sporting. Apart from the fact that we're in a crap league, I don't see Stubbs and most of the players sticking around to play in the Championship again.

TBH the league could actually be quite interesting next year, if United came down and Dunfermline came up. Not that I want to be in it for one minute.

Yorkshire HFC
08-03-2016, 02:41 PM
The problem is that we're acting like a PL team - but we're in the Championship. Even if losses are guaranteed by a rich owner, we can see from history that that will not last for ever. We are first and foremost a football team, but it needs to be sustainable.

MB62
08-03-2016, 02:42 PM
True. The coming loss must be going to be less than they budgeted for surely? Nobody budgets for a cup final in one competition and 2 sell out derbies in the other.

On the other side though, we lost two home games against that lot in the league.
A lot of money to be losing but if we can afford to let the manager take the players abroad for a few days training in the sunshine, hopefully things are not quite as bad.

Potty 86's mate
08-03-2016, 02:53 PM

If the fans don't start coming to our games then we may well have to! It seems like we are going for broke at the moment with promotion the ultimate goal but there is no guarantee that this will happen given our recent form.

if we don't go up, next seasons team could look very different.

Brightside
08-03-2016, 02:57 PM
On the other side though, we lost two home games against that lot in the league.
A lot of money to be losing but if we can afford to let the manager take the players abroad for a few days training in the sunshine, hopefully things are not quite as bad.

Airmiles.

hibs0666
08-03-2016, 03:04 PM

Depends what they budget for in terms of matchday revenues.

hibs0666
08-03-2016, 03:08 PM
The cup runs/ derbies/ TV games etc must have gone a fair way towards a shortfall of £800000 this season, no?

Rather than financial (I trust our board to manage to cut our cloth accordingly) my main concern would be sporting. Apart from the fact that we're in a crap league, I don't see Stubbs and most of the players sticking around to play in the Championship again.

TBH the league could actually be quite interesting next year, if United came down and Dunfermline came up. Not that I want to be in it for one minute.

I think you make decent money in the cup only if you get to the semis, play the Glasgow twins at their place or play a double header against your most biter rivals. :wink:

Alex Trager
08-03-2016, 03:13 PM
I think you make decent money in the cup only if you get to the semis, play the Glasgow twins at their place or play a double header against your most biter rivals. :wink:

Fortunately we have ticked off three of them and hoping to do it all over again with the SC.

Hibeesforever
08-03-2016, 03:15 PM
Finances will take care of themselves with promotion. Extra surplus should be reinvested. Probably already has with bonuses and Jan transfers. Jason needs a new deal too, which won't be cheap. Good times for Hibernian FC though.

Giro Playboy
08-03-2016, 03:23 PM
If we don't go up it will be a disaster both financially and from the football side. We wont have 4 televised ties against the huns and the 2 away end sell outs at ER. A third season in this league is bound to see crowds plummet even further due to the bitter disappointment at not going up and how many of our first 11 will be prepared to stick around?
Not getting promoted in 2 months time doesn't bare contemplating.

MWHIBBIES
08-03-2016, 03:24 PM

TBH the league could actually be quite interesting next year, if United came down and Dunfermline came up. Not that I want to be in it for one minute.What better job is Stubbs going to get than Hibs if he cant get this team promoted? The question is if we'll stick with him if he doesn't take us up.

Giro Playboy
08-03-2016, 03:27 PM
I don't see Stubbs sticking around to play in the Championship again

Would you want him to? Would you be prepared to give him a third crack at getting us up. I don't know if I would but lets pray it doesn't come to that

CropleyWasGod
08-03-2016, 03:31 PM
If we don't go up it will be a disaster both financially and from the football side. We wont have 4 televised ties against the huns and the 2 away end sell outs at ER. A third season in this league is bound to see crowds plummet even further due to the bitter disappointment at not going up and how many of our first 11 will be prepared to stick around?
Not getting promoted in 2 months time doesn't bare contemplating.

... and those that don't will have a sale value.

"disaster" is hyperbole.

NAE NOOKIE
08-03-2016, 03:32 PM

True ... But that surely gives a perspective to what we could be facing next season if we don't get promoted, if even with half of a total 36,000 derby crowd and half a 40,000 ? cup final crowd and a parachute payment paid ( as I understand it ) at the end of last season of £500,000, not to mention money from HSL and the share issue in the bank we are still looking at losing nearly a million quid.

Imagine a season where there is no Sevco or Yams to fill the south stand 4 times ( last season ) or 2 times ( this season ) where we might not do so well in the cups and where there is no TV interest apart from the play offs, which we would hope not to be in anyway, and a final parachute payment of only £250,000 paid at the end of this season. Not to mention another inevitable downturn in season ticket sales.

We would be in no position to turn down offers for Cummings or McGinn, which could be much less than what we would be looking to hold out for if we were in the Premiership and perhaps not in a position to offer decent contracts to players we want to keep or sign.

For those reasons I cant understand why LD or Hibs in general would be against league reconstruction .... perhaps LD genuinely thinks the current system is working fine, but it doesn't appear to be working fine for us that I can see. That aside I cant for the life of me see much downside to league reconstruction, but a number of advantages to football in general.

hibbysam

2 home games vs them, first attendance was 14,500 and the second 13,500, meaning 13,000 paying customers, in total when you take off the 2 x 7500 season ticket holders.

The two games vs them this year had a total of 35,000 fans attending, so 17,500 attendees ticket money in our pockets, plus tv money for the first game.

So we will have gained money from those two games, not a lot but if you average 4000 fans at £20 your talking £80k before tv money.

We also have a 1/4 split of the League cup semi final money, 17k at our game and also 22k at the RC vs Celtic game. so your probably talking about money for around 8000 tickets when you take off costs etc.

We will also get 50% minus costs for the final at about 40k fans.

Inverness is also massive, especially as there is an OF semi final, we would get 1/4 of potentially 70/75k fans at the semi finals...

I imagine we are spending a little more on playing staff than last year but I wouldn't imagine it would be too much more, and HSL will also be much greater now than it was.

I would be very surprised if we lost anywhere near as much as last season.

greenlex

Chuck in some play off revenue too.

Ozyhibby
08-03-2016, 03:33 PM
If we are only heading for an £800k loss then I see that as a positive. However, I don't think it will be made up by STF. I think that the recent restructuring was probably his last input. There is no longer a bank to turn to either, so I expect any shortfall to be made up from player sales.
Unless we can attract more members to HSL. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giro Playboy
08-03-2016, 03:34 PM
... and those that don't will have a sale value.

"disaster" is hyperbole. That's ok I can relax now. Who cares if we don't go up. We can flog half the team and everything will be rosy.

CropleyWasGod
08-03-2016, 03:46 PM
That's ok I can relax now. Who cares if we don't go up. We can flog half the team and everything will be rosy.

Did I say that?

I was responding to your "disaster" prediction.

greenlex
08-03-2016, 03:47 PM
That's ok I can relax now. Who cares if we don't go up. We can flog half the team and everything will be rosy. I don't think we will "flog" them. On the other hand if they wish to leave rather than have another go next year then selling them is probably the only option. There will be other players who would bite your hand off to play for Hibs in the Championship.

Ozyhibby
08-03-2016, 03:54 PM
Whether we go up or not, I expect there to be player sales in the summer. If Cummings has not agreed a new contract then he will probably leave in the summer regardless of our financial circumstances.
It's the same for Hearts who will probably sell Patterson in the summer as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
08-03-2016, 04:07 PM
Would you want him to? Would you be prepared to give him a third crack at getting us up. I don't know if I would but lets pray it doesn't come to that

I don't know.

If he wins 2 cups (including the holy grail) and is horrifically unlucky in the play-offs then I'd 100% want him to stay.

He wins neither cup, we slide further down the league and fail miserably in the playoffs with failures in big games then I'd probably be happy to see him go.

The likelihood is something in between will happen.

FWIW I really like Stubbs. If nothing else I like the fact that I look forward to going to the football again, I look forward to coming on hubs.net and mulling over what's gone on. Following Hibs had become a chore and he's put the fun back into it. We've had cup runs, good derby wins and played some good stuff but fallen a wee bit short when it has mattered most. Given the utter bombscare he inherited I think he's done well.

In addition to that I should probably say that I hold him more culpable than anyone else for our capitulation over the past few weeks. But he's got more than enough in the tank already for me to hold that against him.

NAE NOOKIE
08-03-2016, 04:13 PM
2 home games vs them, first attendance was 14,500 and the second 13,500, meaning 13,000 paying customers, in total when you take off the 2 x 7500 season ticket holders.

The two games vs them this year had a total of 35,000 fans attending, so 17,500 attendees ticket money in our pockets, plus tv money for the first game.

So we will have gained money from those two games, not a lot but if you average 4000 fans at £20 your talking £80k before tv money.

We also have a 1/4 split of the League cup semi final money, 17k at our game and also 22k at the RC vs Celtic game. so your probably talking about money for around 8000 tickets when you take off costs etc.

We will also get 50% minus costs for the final at about 40k fans.

Inverness is also massive, especially as there is an OF semi final, we would get 1/4 of potentially 70/75k fans at the semi finals...

I imagine we are spending a little more on playing staff than last year but I wouldn't imagine it would be too much more, and HSL will also be much greater now than it was.

I would be very surprised if we lost anywhere near as much as last season.

That's for sure .............. get to the semis and you are looking at a decent payday, make the final and its half of a guaranteed 52,000 sell out on top of that .... win the bloody thing and the skys the limit with merchandising revenue. In financial terms the benefit to the club of beating ICT cant be undervalued ... the toll a run like that might take on the pitch is another matter altogether of course.

jacomo
08-03-2016, 06:53 PM
We are not in a sustainable position in the Championship but the cup runs will have done wonders for our finances this season. Let's be thankful for that.

The share issue this season has, undoubtedly in my view, enabled us to have a better squad than we would have done otherwise.

As for Stubbs, he is not perfect but he's massively in credit in my book. Best manager we have had for years, dealt the worst hand when he arrived.

JeMeSouviens
08-03-2016, 07:50 PM
We are not in a sustainable position in the Championship but the cup runs will have done wonders for our finances this season. Let's be thankful for that.

The share issue this season has, undoubtedly in my view, enabled us to have a better squad than we would have done otherwise.

As for Stubbs, he is not perfect but he's massively in credit in my book. Best manager we have had for years, dealt the worst hand when he arrived.

Agree with all that. Win the league cup and beat ICT and we won't be miles off break even but that's a pretty incredible season for a championship side. It might give us leeway for another heave and I would think Stubbs will get another chance.

NadeAteMyLunch!
08-03-2016, 11:14 PM
Not tucking away Inverness might come back to bite us. That would have been at least one more trip to Hampden and a share of a 52,000 old firm sell out and an excellent chance of another sell out final. Huge financial loss if we now don't get through this tricky replay

hibsboy69
08-03-2016, 11:28 PM

Good post - agree with all of that :aok:

Gerard
08-03-2016, 11:43 PM
We have a CEO is respected and is a full time CEO who drives our club forward. The team has a young HC and a talented mixture of experienced and young players. We have a chance to buy shares in our club to own it or indirectly via HSL. We are in a cup final and have a good chance of getting to semi final and of getting promoted. None of the last three are easy but as the 12th man we can make it EASIER if we attend the games and cheer the team on to success. Supporting Hibs is an adventure and not suited for the faint hearted.:wink:

hibsboy69
09-03-2016, 12:01 AM
We have a CEO is respected and is a full time CEO who drives our club forward. The team has a young HC and a talented mixture of experienced and young players. We have a chance to buy shares in our club to own it or indirectly via HSL. We are in a cup final and have a good chance of getting to semi final and of getting promoted. None of the last three are easy but as the 12th man we can make it EASIER if we attend the games and cheer the team on to success. Supporting Hibs is an adventure and not suited for the faint hearted.:wink:

The bit in bold, you're not wrong. A"Voyage of Discovery" and "Labour of Love" are the words/phrases that spring to mind ! 😁😀

:gwa: