PDA

View Full Version : You are the referee

StevieT
08-03-2016, 01:46 PM
There has been a lot of flack given to referees this season (most of it deserved).

Here is a wee quiz to see how you would get on. The questions are different each time so you can retake the test. Also the correct answers are given should you get any wrong. WARNING - some of the questions may seem a bit strange but they are all things a referee needs to know.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/football_quiz.cfm?page=3157

Good luck

Northernhibee
08-03-2016, 01:50 PM
8/10

JeMeSouviens
08-03-2016, 01:51 PM
9/10 - got this one wrong "5. Can the team that wins the toss at the start of the game chose to kick-off?"

snooky
08-03-2016, 01:57 PM
8/10

Me too. but remember we're not getting £1000 (or whatever-it-is) a game to know these facts.
I wonder what the current SFA refs would score in this quiz? :wink:
BTW, there are a couple of trick questions where they should specify if it's a game involving the OF.

StevieT
08-03-2016, 02:00 PM
Me too. but remember we're not getting £1000 (or whatever-it-is) a game to know these facts.
I wonder what the current SFA refs would score in this quiz? :wink:
BTW, there are a couple of trick questions where they should specify if it's a game involves the OF.

I don't get £1000 per game either but I still need to know the answers.

This is meant to be a wee bit of fun but also to show some of the more bizarre things you need to know. DISCLAIMER - knowing these bizarre things is still no excuse for getting the obvious things wrong like we see at most of our games.

GreenCastle
08-03-2016, 02:01 PM
Could you imagine a team about to score and a sub warming up runs on and stops the goal - no goal and an indirect free kick given!

smithy_hibees
08-03-2016, 02:02 PM
8/10
The corner one, thought the ball had too leave the half circle thing

And the ball from a free kick can't hit the ref and come back to you and score

StevieT
08-03-2016, 02:05 PM
8/10

It's amazing how many people think that, or that the ball must turn one full circumference.

snooky
08-03-2016, 02:10 PM
I don't get £1000 per game either but I still need to know the answers.

This is meant to be a wee bit of fun but also to show some of the more bizarre things you need to know. DISCLAIMER - knowing these bizarre things is still no excuse for getting the obvious things wrong like we see at most of our games.

Apologies for any misunderstanding, Stevie. I wasn't having a dig at your post. I enjoyed doing the quiz.
I was merely pointing out that for the money refs get paid they should know all the answers. However, it quite evident from experience sometimes they can't even spot a foul throw or a blatant penalty (esp. when the pen's for us).

Andy.1875
08-03-2016, 02:10 PM
7/10 - maybe I should stop moaning about the ref's decisions!

wfortune
08-03-2016, 02:13 PM
7/10 - maybe I should stop moaning about the ref's decisions!

Same here. I'll stick to abusing our players :na na:

snooky
08-03-2016, 02:17 PM
8/10

Exactly! If you take a penalty and it comes back to you off the post you can't touch it or it's a free kick.
The same rule applies as all refs are paling stabs. :wink:

JimBHibees
08-03-2016, 02:19 PM
9/10 didnt realise you could score from a goal kick.

Carheenlea
08-03-2016, 02:20 PM
I thought it was quite easy, but then only got 4 correct :hilarious
Better look out some black shorts and shirt - John Fleming will be on the blower shortly to see when I'm available.

StevieT
08-03-2016, 02:20 PM
Apologies for any misunderstanding, Stevie. I wasn't having a dig at your post. I enjoyed doing the quiz.
I was merely pointing out that for the money refs get paid they should know all the answers. However, it quite evident from experience sometimes they can't even spot a foul throw or a blatant penalty (esp. when the pen's for us).

I wan't having a go mate, just pointing out that all referees need to know these things as any of the can come up in a game, or the exam. However, knowing the answers doesn't make you a good referee, it just means that you have read the laws of the game and so know the answers. Applying the laws, and common sense, in a game situation is completely different. I guess that I am lucky because I took up refereeing at 45 (after my playing days) so was too old to get anywhere in the game. This means that I get to apply common sense as I don't have anyone watching over me. Although I say too old to get anywhere in the game I was still fortunate enough to be selected to officiate at the Under 19 Scottish Cup Final a few years ago.

StevieT
08-03-2016, 02:22 PM
I thought it was quite easy, but then only got 4 correct :hilarious
Better look out some black shorts and shirt - John Fleming will be on the blower shortly to see when I'm available.

You will be on the fast track list

JimBHibees
08-03-2016, 02:25 PM
I wan't having a go mate, just pointing out that all referees need to know these things as any of the can come up in a game, or the exam. However, knowing the answers doesn't make you a good referee, it just means that you have read the laws of the game and so know the answers. Applying the laws, and common sense, in a game situation is completely different. I guess that I am lucky because I took up refereeing at 45 (after my playing days) so was too old to get anywhere in the game. This means that I get to apply common sense as I don't have anyone watching over me. Although I say too old to get anywhere in the game I was still fortunate enough to be selected to officiate at the Under 19 Scottish Cup Final a few years ago.

Well done that is a decent achievement.

Edson Arantes
08-03-2016, 02:30 PM
8/10

StevieT
08-03-2016, 02:37 PM
Well done that is a decent achievement.

Thank you :thumbsup:

matty_f
08-03-2016, 02:40 PM
9/10 - I didn't know the maximum circumference of the football.

SuperAllyMcleod
08-03-2016, 02:41 PM
9/10 - I didn't think boots were compulsory!

DTS
08-03-2016, 02:45 PM
9/10 got the ball one wrong

jonty
08-03-2016, 02:45 PM
9/10 because I didn't know the penalty 'spot' could be a rectangle.

frazeHFC
08-03-2016, 02:46 PM
7/10. Was the minimum amount of players at kick off one that stumped me the most, clicked 7 at first (cos I knew on FIFA match abandoned if you get 5 sending offs) but changed my answer (wrongly) to 11. Should maybe have got the one about a corner hitting the post and rebounding to the same player not counting, but the sending off of a physio I had no idea.

GreenLake
You won't see a question as to whether a Nate Diaz move to the back of a Hibs striker is a foul.

mim
9/10
Don't even understand the answer to the one I got wrong. :rolleyes:

Does an offence have to be deliberate, before a foul is awarded?

I said yes.

The answer is 'No, except when the ball is handled deliberately"

So it doesn't have to be deliberate, unless it's deliberate handball?

Geo_1875
08-03-2016, 02:55 PM
These "rules" are all very precise and are easy to implement. It's the ones that they don't publish that cause our anger towards referees. Things like you must book a Hibs player before any opposition player, and persistent fouling is not an offence if playing against Hibs.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
08-03-2016, 02:56 PM
7/10

matty_f
08-03-2016, 02:58 PM
9/10
Don't even understand the answer to the one I got wrong. :rolleyes:

Does an offence have to be deliberate, before a foul is awarded?

I said yes.

The answer is 'No, except when the ball is handled deliberately"

So it doesn't have to be deliberate, unless it's deliberate handball?

That does make sense!

So you could accidentally trip someone, and it's a foul. For a foul to be awarded for handball, the handball must be deliberate.

Unless you're Dylan McGeouch and playing for Hibs at Ibrox, then the ref can be a **** and award the free kick anyway. The ****.

EdinMike
08-03-2016, 03:00 PM
9/10 got one about a player throwing it back to the keeper. Him not realising and it going in the net.. I said 'Goal' apparently a corner is awarded ?!?!

Doesn't sound right to me...

mim
08-03-2016, 03:05 PM
That does make sense!

So you could accidentally trip someone, and it's not a foul. For a foul to be awarded for handball, the handball must be deliberate.

Your reply makes as much sense as their answer.

In both cases you are saying it must be deliberate.

matty_f
08-03-2016, 03:09 PM
Your reply makes as much sense as their answer.

In both cases you are saying it must be deliberate.

I had a superfluous "not" in my post - I've amended it. If you accidently trip someone, it can be a foul - you don't have to deliberately trip them.

You do have to deliberately handball for a foul to be given, though. Accidental handball is not a foul.

StevieT
08-03-2016, 03:10 PM
I had a superfluous "not" in my post - I've amended it. If you accidently trip someone, it can be a foul - you don't have to deliberately trip them.

You do have to deliberately handball for a foul to be given, though. Accidental handball is not a foul.

Correct :top marks

StevieT
08-03-2016, 03:15 PM
9/10 got one about a player throwing it back to the keeper. Him not realising and it going in the net.. I said 'Goal' apparently a corner is awarded ?!?!

Doesn't sound right to me...

It does make sense when you remember that you can't score a goal directly from a throw in ....even an own goal (I think there was a stushie a few years ago when an Aston Villa player threw the ball back to the goalkeeper and it went straight in and the referee awarded a goal. They tried to make out it hit the goalkeepers studs but even now I'm not convinced). The same applies to an indirect free kick. If you have an indirect free kick and you pass it all the way back to the goal keeper and it goes in to the goals without anyone else touching it then you can't award a goal but the game has to restart somehow so a corner is awarded.

Future17
08-03-2016, 03:21 PM

Except, unless I'm mistaken, that's not how refs are told to apply the test. The deliberateness is subjective and can't always be assessed easily, so you hear things like "his hand/arm was in an unnatural position". That doesn't require it to be deliberate.

I got asked "what is the maximum number of substitutes permitted in an official match?" I said 7, but the correct answer was 3. I think the questions should have been "what is the maximum number of substitutions permitted in an official match?" or, even more precisely, "what is the maximum number of substitutions permitted in an official match per team?"

On a side note, for the referees posting on this thread, if a GK picks up a pass from his own defender which is destined to go in the goals, why is that not a sending off offence?

matty_f
08-03-2016, 03:23 PM
Except, unless I'm mistaken, that's not how refs are told to apply the test. The deliberateness is subjective and can't always be assessed easily, so you hear things like "his hand/arm was in an unnatural position". That doesn't require it to be deliberate.

I got asked "what is the maximum number of substitutes permitted in an official match?" I said 7, but the correct answer was 3. I think the questions should have been "what is the maximum number of substitutions permitted in an official match?" or, even more precisely, "what is the maximum number of substitutions permitted in an official match per team?"

On a side note, for the referees posting on this thread, if a GK picks up a pass from his own defender which is destined to go in the goals, why is that not a sending off offence?

There are, I believe, guidelines on how to assess whether a handball is deliberate or not, because otherwise everyone would just claim that they never meant it. :greengrin

MyJo
08-03-2016, 03:32 PM
7/10

got the minimum circumference of the ball wrong, the one about the ball going in the goal directly from a throw-in and i said the referee needs to take immediate action for a sending-off offence which apparently isn't true.

StevieT
08-03-2016, 03:36 PM

Excellent question. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that the pass back law has changed so that goalkeepers can no longer pick up a back pass (so long as it played by a team mate with his FOOT....he or she can use any other part of the body but not the foot) and the penalty for doing so is an indirect free kick. This is deemed to be punishment enough. I think that if their was an incident in a major tournament then the law may be looked at again.

I think the majority of handled pass backs would possibly have resulted in an obvious goal scoring opportunity which is why the goalkeeper handles the ball in the first place. This would result in more red cards for goalkeepers.

Greenworld
08-03-2016, 03:47 PM
10 / 10

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

EdinMike
08-03-2016, 04:54 PM
It does make sense when you remember that you can't score a goal directly from a throw in ....even an own goal (I think there was a stushie a few years ago when an Aston Villa player threw the ball back to the goalkeeper and it went straight in and the referee awarded a goal. They tried to make out it hit the goalkeepers studs but even now I'm not convinced). The same applies to an indirect free kick. If you have an indirect free kick and you pass it all the way back to the goal keeper and it goes in to the goals without anyone else touching it then you can't award a goal but the game has to restart somehow so a corner is awarded.

Ta, does make sense and maybe I was thinking of that incident!

sleeping giant
08-03-2016, 05:10 PM
Done it twice and got 7/10 both times.

I thought a goalkeeper and outfield player would be able to swap positions as long as the outfield player(now in goals) didn't use his hands.
Surely it wouldn't be a booking if they didn't touch the ball at all.
I think that one is a misprint :greengrin:

sleeping giant
08-03-2016, 05:33 PM
https://m.facebook.com/FootyFun.fans/

What happened there ref ?

StevieT
08-03-2016, 05:37 PM
https://m.facebook.com/FootyFun.fans/

What happened there ref ?

The assistant referee is meant to check the nets at the start of each half. I guess he / she missed it and has now been relegated to the Scottish Championship.

sleeping giant
08-03-2016, 05:41 PM
The assistant referee is meant to check the nets at the start of each half. I guess he / she missed it and has now been relegated to the Scottish Championship.

:greengrin:
What's your thoughts on the yellow cards for the goalkeeper and outfield players swapping positions?

McKenzie
08-03-2016, 05:47 PM
9/10 didn't know the weight of the ball. Does this mean I can criticise refs now?

Just Jimmy
08-03-2016, 05:49 PM
10/10. Both players get booked if the keeper and outfield player swap places. Ball hits the corner flag and stays in play is play on.

Pretty easy stuff.

Now let me loose at the clowns [emoji6]

percy veer
08-03-2016, 05:55 PM
Could you imagine a team about to score and a sub warming up runs on and stops the goal - no goal and an indirect free kick given!

I remember paul Hartley getting booked for hibs when being a sub before the ball crossed the line passed it to the keeper, free kick awarded to the other team

sleeping giant
08-03-2016, 05:58 PM
2. An opponent is standing in an offiside position when the ball is played to him direct from a goal kick. The player goes on to score a goal. Should the goal be allowed?
Your Answer:
No
Correct Answer:

That one doesn't sit right either. Offside surely

StevieT
08-03-2016, 06:02 PM
:greengrin:
What's your thoughts on the yellow cards for the goalkeeper and outfield players swapping positions?

Highly unlikely to happen during a game and let's say it's one of the interpretations I would like to see changed.

My pet hate is a player shepherding the ball out of play for a goal kick / corner kick / throw in. In order for it not to be impeding an opponent (obstruction) the ball must be within playing distance. How often do we see players do this without being within playing distance? If you put your body between the ball and an opponent anywhere else on the field of play, without attempting to play the ball, then a free kick would be given.

StevieT
08-03-2016, 06:04 PM
2. An opponent is standing in an offiside position when the ball is played to him direct from a goal kick. The player goes on to score a goal. Should the goal be allowed?
Your Answer:
No
Correct Answer:

There are only three restarts of the game where you cannot be offside, a goal kick, a throw in and a corner kick.

You can be offside if the ball is kicked from hand but not a goal kick.

StevieT
08-03-2016, 06:06 PM
9/10 didn't know the weight of the ball. Does this mean I can criticise refs now?

Did you need to get 9 / 10 first?

mim
08-03-2016, 06:06 PM
Your Answer:
No
Correct Answer:

Can't be offside from a goal kick

LustForLeith
08-03-2016, 06:15 PM
5 out of 10 but I'm trying to get a bonus points for knowing who my parents are and having good eye sight

Callum7
08-03-2016, 06:19 PM
6/10

Torto7062
08-03-2016, 06:34 PM
10 outta 10......it said that I am more like
Pierluiggi Collina than a certain Thomson 😂

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

StevieT
09-03-2016, 10:34 AM
5 out of 10 but I'm trying to get a bonus points for knowing who my parents are and having good eye sight

....neither of which are prerequisites to become a referee :wink:

lord bunberry
09-03-2016, 12:13 PM
9/10 I got the size of the ball wrong.

Argylehibby
09-03-2016, 12:30 PM
Question for stevie,

Forward is running along the bye line between the post and the 18 yard line. He plays the ball past the defender then steps off the pitch to go round the player who then steps off the pitch to block the run. What do you award?

StevieT
09-03-2016, 12:35 PM
Question for stevie,

Forward is running along the bye line between the post and the 18 yard line. He plays the ball past the defender then steps off the pitch to go round the player who then steps off the pitch to block the run. What do you award?

I would award an indirect free kick on the line for impeding an opponent.

sleeping giant
11-03-2016, 01:13 PM
Stevie ,

Player 1 walks up to player 2 at a corner and headbutts player 2 in the jaw. Player 2's head moves forward in a short sharp motion but no contact is made.

Would you send off both players and what would you expect any subsequent bans to be.

ALF TUPPER
11-03-2016, 01:27 PM
:top marks

:flag:Everyone happy for me to ref the game on Sunday then? :flag:

wookie70
11-03-2016, 04:10 PM
We had a lad, GK, sent of for my sons team a couple of weeks back. Their player scored a pen and then went to get the ball from the keeper a wrestle ensued went on for a second or two before our keeper threw the ball at the boy. Keeper sent off with about 3 minutes to play and receives a 4 match ban(U13 level). I looked at the laws and the ref seems to have no choice, barring the application of some common sense, but to award a red when the ball is in play. My question is - Is the ball in play directly after a goal is scored and before KO and did the ref get the sending off correct.

We didn't appeal because we want the boys to be sporting but I thought it was extremely harsh and would be interested to hear a ref's impression. For what its worth for the rest of the game the ref was excellent. He refereed like it was an adults match and both teams had players booked for the first time. I have no gripes about that but I have watched quite a few professionals throw the ball at an opponent and only get booked. Most refs at this level try to talk to the players and warn them what the punishment may have been so the bookings and sending off were totally out of the blue for what was a pretty routine match.

Septimus
11-03-2016, 05:43 PM
9/10 - I didn't think boots were compulsory!

I,m sure that lovely Joe McBride used to wear plimsols.

Nameless
11-03-2016, 06:47 PM
8/10
The corner question, and how many compete for a drop ball let me down.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk