PDA

View Full Version : NHC McLaren sacked

hibees 7062
07-03-2016, 08:37 PM
Just been told McLaren's been sacked

Pretty Boy
07-03-2016, 08:43 PM
Happy enough if true but that isn't going to solve Newcastles problems as long as Graham Carr and Lee Charnley are around.

blackpoolhibs
07-03-2016, 08:45 PM
Moyes must have said he'd take the job?

Sergey
07-03-2016, 08:46 PM

If you trust the info - you can still back him at 1/6 in the 'Next Manager Oot The Door' market with SkyBet

ScottB
07-03-2016, 08:47 PM

He'd be better waiting till the summer, don't think anything will save them now, so may as well avoid being tarred by it...

Billy Whizz
07-03-2016, 08:48 PM
Nothing on sky sports

lucky
07-03-2016, 08:49 PM

By whom? £1k wins £170 on sky bet just now

BOB MARLEYS DUG
07-03-2016, 08:58 PM
Was at the game on Saturday and the atmosphere was poisonous to say the least. Never seen fans abuse players/manager like that before when things are going badly. And I thought it was grim at Hibs when there was bad times :greengrin

Great club and hope they can get themselves sorted!

Pretty Boy
07-03-2016, 09:04 PM
Was at the game on Saturday and the atmosphere was poisonous to say the least. Never seen fans abuse players/manager like that before when things are going badly. And I thought it was grim at Hibs when there was bad times :greengrin

It's been coming for a while sadly.

The thing is the average football fan believes all the 'ideas above their station' nonsense that the media trot out at every chance but it's just not true. Newcastle fans, or none I know, really believe they should be competing for the league anymore but they deserve far better than scrapping about the bottom of the league every season.

The whole set up at the club is all wrong and, whilst a new manager would undoubtedly get better from the talented players there are in the squad, there needs to be wholesale change throughout.

LaMotta
07-03-2016, 09:04 PM

I was there too mate...was about to post something similar!!

NadeAteMyLunch!
07-03-2016, 10:18 PM

They reacted very similarly towards Pardew as well. Entire club is a mess and they'd be sitting bottom if not for the worst Villa side ever. Said at the time that McLaren was an abysmal choice for manager and been proven right, no idea what they were thinking.

iwasthere1972
07-03-2016, 10:23 PM
Surprised he got the job when it was announced. Hasn't done much at management level since leaving Boro.

Just said on SSN that he won't be quitting. No confirmation on SSN that he's been sacked yet but probably imminent.

Another big payout then.

J-C
07-03-2016, 10:27 PM

Was seemingly in talks getting the right deal, he'll want more say in the players brought to the club.

J-C
07-03-2016, 10:28 PM
Surprised he got the job when it was announced. Hasn't done much at management level since leaving Boro.

Just said on SSN that he won't be quitting. No confirmation on SSN that he's been sacked yet but probably imminent.

Another big payout then.

Amazes me that a guy who been sacked 4 out of 5 jobs still manages to get these big gigs.

jacomo
07-03-2016, 10:36 PM

:agree:

Since last summer.

Certain clubs need certain personalities. Newcastle thrive when they have a totemic no.9 and a likeable manager. They've got neither.

iwasthere1972
07-03-2016, 10:37 PM
Amazes me that a guy who been sacked 4 out of 5 jobs still manages to get these big gigs.

One of the few professions where you can earn megabucks by being a failure. If he had a normal job and his CV had that he had been shown the door, with his P45 in hand, by four of his last five employers he certainly wouldn't be walking into a top job with top wages anytime soon.

lucky
07-03-2016, 10:47 PM
The guy signed a contract and is willing to honour it. It's the clubs fault that they pay out as they are the ones who give out the contracts. SM has not done well but it's hardly his fault he expects his contract to be honoured

gegs70
07-03-2016, 10:56 PM

I was there too, Newcastle were very poor and on that performance you would be hard pushed to see where they will get a result! relegation material.

Baader
07-03-2016, 11:13 PM
Bad appointment. Was only ever going to be that way. Newcastle's stats under McLaren are woeful as is their squad. Can't see them staying up.

StevieC
08-03-2016, 08:24 AM

The thing is the average football fan believes all the 'ideas above their station' nonsense that the media trot out at every chance but it's just not true. Newcastle fans, or none I know, really believe they should be competing for the league anymore but they deserve far better than scrapping about the bottom of the league every season.

The whole set up at the club is all wrong and, whilst a new manager would undoubtedly get better from the talented players there are in the squad, there needs to be wholesale change throughout.

Spot on. The game at the weekend is the worst I've seen for abuse, and that includes the height of the "Ashley Out" protests. The fans have had to put up with this for years, and deserve better.

StevieC
08-03-2016, 08:28 AM
I was there too, Newcastle were very poor and on that performance you would be hard pushed to see where they will get a result! relegation material.

Worst performance all season, and yet there have been some games that they have played some good stuff (especially against top teams) so the ability is there. What got me was before the game the players released a statement saying they were backing the manager, but that performance suggested otherwise.

Salt N Sauzee
08-03-2016, 08:36 AM
Nothing on sky sports

They'll be the last to report on it as usual!

StevieC
08-03-2016, 08:36 AM
Bad appointment. Was only ever going to be that way. Newcastle's stats under McLaren are woeful as is their squad. Can't see them staying up.

Can't argue too much about staying up, it's going to be a battle, but there are players at the club that are good enough to lift the team higher. Shelvy, Mitrovitch, Perez, Colback, Janmaart, Cisse, Sissoko, Krul, Wijnelda, Elliot are players that can put performances in .. but the week areas (left back, central defence, proven striker) that were highlighted last season have never been addressed.

MB62
08-03-2016, 09:20 AM
One of the few professions where you can earn megabucks by being a failure. If he had a normal job and his CV had that he had been shown the door, with his P45 in hand, by four of his last five employers he certainly wouldn't be walking into a top job with top wages anytime soon.

Graeme Sourness and Mogadon Miller made a fortune out of doing this.

Peevemor
08-03-2016, 09:23 AM

A bit harsh is it not? 10 years at Hibs & 9 at Liverpool - hardly your typical club hopper.

JimBHibees
08-03-2016, 09:37 AM
Can't argue too much about staying up, it's going to be a battle, but there are players at the club that are good enough to lift the team higher. Shelvy, Mitrovitch, Perez, Colback, Janmaart, Cisse, Sissoko, Krul, Wijnelda, Elliot are players that can put performances in .. but the week areas (left back, central defence, proven striker) that were highlighted last season have never been addressed.

I think you are right there is an enormous amount of talent however some pretty average players also (amazed Dummett plays as he looked average at St Mirren :greengrin). Sissokko looks a player that should be absolutely bossing games yet seems to only do it in fits and starts.

easty
08-03-2016, 09:37 AM

Elliot...as in that goalie? He's murder.

hibee92
08-03-2016, 09:39 AM

Been superb this season. Saved them a good few vital points

easty
08-03-2016, 09:43 AM
Been superb this season. Saved them a good few vital points

Has he? When?

They've hardly got any points!

He watched that Shaqiri goal go right past him against Stoke a week or so ago.

hibee92
08-03-2016, 09:45 AM
Has he? When?

He watched that Shaqiri goal go right past him against Stoke a week or so ago.

Absolutely superb against west brom, West Ham, even man Utd despite it being 3-3. Good keeper

easty
08-03-2016, 09:53 AM
Absolutely superb against west brom, West Ham, even man Utd despite it being 3-3. Good keeper

West Brom didnt have a single shot on target, I know there's more to being a goalie, but he can't have been superb without having to make a save.

Agree to disagree though. :aok:

Andy74
08-03-2016, 10:03 AM
Someone should tell McLaren as he is taking training this morning.

CropleyWasGod
08-03-2016, 10:09 AM

One of only 3 managers in my lifetime to win anything of note at Hibs.

And, out of those 3, the only one to be involved in a CL and FA Cup-winning team.

Oh, and "his" St Mirren team won the SC not long after he came to us.

Not bad for a failure.

StevieC
08-03-2016, 10:14 AM

Elliot has been excellent since filling in for the injured Krul. He's kept Newcastle in games quite a few times this season. And a few of those almost single handedly (we'll both hands to be fair) kept Newcastle in it.

He's going to give the new manager a decision to make when Krul returns from injury.

StevieC
08-03-2016, 10:16 AM
Has he? When?

Won us 3 points at Bournemouth away and kept us in the game before we got a late winner at Spurs away. Was also excellent in the 2-2 draw with Chelsea.

StevieC
08-03-2016, 10:21 AM
Agree to disagree though.

You can't judge his performances on two games and 2 minutes of highlights at the end of MOTD.

He should have done better for the goal we lost to Stoke, but the whole team was mince at the weekend so hardly fair to single him out. Over the course of the season he has probably been the most consistent player in the team.

jacomo
08-03-2016, 10:28 AM

McLaren plays the dead man walking role well, to be fair.

WeeRussell
08-03-2016, 11:49 AM
You can't judge his performances on two games and 2 minutes of highlights at the end of MOTD.

He should have done better for the goal we lost to Stoke, but the whole team was mince at the weekend so hardly fair to single him out. Over the course of the season he has probably been the most consistent player in the team.

Aye but if they didn't have a shot on target, there wouldn't be many more highlights to judge him on... and hard to imagine him standing out as "Absolutely superb" in that particular game.

You've obviously seen a lot more of the guy than me, but I find it hard to believe he'll be keeping a fit Tim Krul out the team. :aok:

J-C
08-03-2016, 11:54 AM
So this is all pure speculation then as nothing from any media source.

WeeRussell
08-03-2016, 11:56 AM

I thought he was watching boxing in London?

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-03-2016, 12:03 PM
They reacted very similarly towards Pardew as well. Entire club is a mess and they'd be sitting bottom if not for the worst Villa side ever. Said at the time that McLaren was an abysmal choice for manager and been proven right, no idea what they were thinking.

The penny must have dropped with Pardew that he was never going to fit in and that perhaps puts a different light on his move to Crystal Palace who despite being a big club, are far from being Newcastle. Not sure who will have big enough feet to fill the manager'shoes at that club. One thing for sure is that it won't be Alan Shearer, who while doing not bad as the next arm chair manager, has already tried and failed at the real thing.

hibsboy69
08-03-2016, 12:04 PM

By whom ?

1. A Newcastle Utd insider ?
2. The postman ?
3. Jordi Cruyff ?

R.S.V.P

Hermit Crab
08-03-2016, 12:10 PM
He's taking training today. Not bad for a man that's been sacked. Working for nothing.

Jim44
08-03-2016, 12:14 PM
Maybe he never mastered a Geordie accent. :greengrin

heretoday
08-03-2016, 12:18 PM
It'll be someone off the usual cab rank. A big club like that should be using more imagination. They are run by clods though.

StevieC
08-03-2016, 01:08 PM
The penny must have dropped with Pardew that he was never going to fit in and that perhaps puts a different light on his move to Crystal Palace who despite being a big club, are far from being Newcastle.

Pardew has strong links with Crystal Palace, as a former player and manager. His position at Newcastle was starting to look less than secure, so he jumped at the chance when they came knocking. However, many Palace fans are starting to call for his head, a lot of them unhappy with his tactics and substitutions (much like the Newcastle fans).

One thing for sure is that it won't be Alan Shearer, who while doing not bad as the next arm chair manager, has already tried and failed at the real thing.

Not sure that you can class 8 games in charge of a team already pretty much relegated as "tried and failed". :dunno:

You are right though, his remarks on MOTD will pretty much ensure that he wont be any where near the managerial team while MA is in charge.

Giro Playboy
08-03-2016, 02:50 PM
How can the board sack McLaren when McLaren is on the board?

Peevemor
08-03-2016, 02:51 PM
How can the board sack McLaren when McLaren is on the board?

By a vote.

Giro Playboy
08-03-2016, 02:54 PM
By a vote. If get gets sacked as the manager does he also get sacked as a board member or is he allowed to keep that role? Would he get two pay offs for two different jobs?

iwasthere1972
10-03-2016, 01:12 PM
According to SSN. About to be sacked and possibility of Rafa being in charge for Monday.

Will he keep them up?

jdships
10-03-2016, 02:10 PM
Elliot has been excellent since filling in for the injured Krul. He's kept Newcastle in games quite a few times this season. And a few of those almost single handedly (we'll both hands to be fair) kept Newcastle in it.

He's going to give the new manager a decision to make when Krul returns from injury.

10/10 Give credit where credit is due
Miller did us proud !!

CropleyWasGod
10-03-2016, 02:17 PM
If get gets sacked as the manager does he also get sacked as a board member or is he allowed to keep that role? Would he get two pay offs for two different jobs?

It's not a "sacking" as such, it's a removal. If the rest of the Board want him off, then they'll vote him off.

I suspect that his Directorship, though, will be linked to his managership. The contract for the former will probably be deemed to have come to an end if the latter ends.

As for pay-off, that will depend on his contract. If he isn't getting paid for being a director, he probably won't get a pay-off.

Iain G
10-03-2016, 02:26 PM
According to SSN. About to be sacked and possibility of Rafa being in charge for Monday.

Will he keep them up?

Nope!

O'Rourke3
10-03-2016, 04:28 PM
Gas MA got him on a Zero hours contract though? Just dont offer him shifts.....

Sent via the bushes @ EM

jgl07
10-03-2016, 06:18 PM
Well Louis Van Gaal keeps getting appointed (to bigger jobs that McLaren) despite being sacked by every team he has been involved in for the last 15 years and hounded out in most cases.

I suspect that the un-named replacement for McLaren (the Wally with the Brolly) will be high on the list of favourites for the next PL managers for the sack even before being appointed.

Thecat23
11-03-2016, 10:47 AM
He's now been sacked!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
11-03-2016, 10:54 AM
That's him gone. Hopefully Rafa gets the job and steadies the ship until the end of the season.

Bishop Hibee
11-03-2016, 10:59 AM
Booooo! :singing: Don't sack the wally, the wally with the brolly :singing: Inspite of a bias towards Sunderland, I hope the Mags stay up and the Boro come up.

Hibernia&Alba
11-03-2016, 11:26 AM
And Van Gaal still clings on. Shocking

Moulin Yarns
11-03-2016, 01:47 PM
That's him gone. Hopefully Rafa gets the job and steadies the ship until the end of the season.

Just been confirmed.

Hibernia&Alba
11-03-2016, 01:49 PM
Just been confirmed.

Aye Benitez in. I think it could be a good appointment for Newcastle.

Pete
11-03-2016, 02:00 PM
They'll probably get relegated even quicker now.

Big Sam is the type of manager you want down there.

weonlywon6-2
11-03-2016, 06:42 PM
They're doomed.
Benitez only knows top end of the table stuff, not relegation battles.
The fans have ideas above their station at times.

Just Jimmy
11-03-2016, 10:14 PM
They're doomed.
Benitez only knows top end of the table stuff, not relegation battles.
The fans have ideas above their station at times.

Above their station?

What's that? Wanting better than a failure at every club he's been at?
Wanting better than 19th?
Wanting to actually compete with clubs like Everton and Leicester?

The media and uneducated football fans peddle this myth about Newcastle fans and all they REALLY want is the same as every fan of every team in the world; the best for their team.

Newcastle are a huge club and they way it's been run since 2007 is nothing short of a disgrace. Yet the fans still turn out 50000 to support their team. Could we say we would if we'd been through what they have?

I hope rafa keeps them up and kicks them onto better things, god knows they deserve it for a change.

ScottB
11-03-2016, 11:45 PM
And Van Gaal still clings on. Shocking

If you're the next guy, there's not much incentive to step in now and get your fingerprints on this disaster. There's been chat in the media that Giggs isn't interested in another stint as caretaker, so I suspect he's just being allowed to stagger on for lack of a better option, even in the short term.

Giro Playboy
12-03-2016, 04:47 AM
Rafa has never been in a relegation battle before. They would have been better with Nigel Pearson. Someone who knows how to survive at the arse end of the table