PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova fails drugs test

3pm
07-03-2016, 07:09 PM
Just been on SSN.

Scouse Hibee
07-03-2016, 07:16 PM
Waiting for Sergey to respond........................................... .................................................. ...................

Just Jimmy
07-03-2016, 07:18 PM
Usual nonsense excuses. The house of cards will start to come down now hopefully. Too many too long.

BroxburnHibee
07-03-2016, 07:18 PM
Not really worked have they :tee hee:

Sir David Gray
07-03-2016, 07:19 PM
Just watching this now.

I knew she had a "major announcement" to make and actually thought she would be announcing her retirement.

I really didn't expect this.

Pretty Boy
07-03-2016, 07:26 PM
Tip of the iceberg.

Elite level sport is absolutely rotten to the core in so many ways.

Sergey
07-03-2016, 07:29 PM
Waiting for Sergey to respond........................................... .................................................. ...................

She's failed for Mildronate which wasn't detectable until quite recently.

This isn't the sort of chemical that you would accidentally consume and it's been on the ban list for some time.

It surprises me not one jot that i) another Russian athlete has failed a dope test and ii) she's another from the Nike camp.

Scouse Hibee
07-03-2016, 07:36 PM

This isn't the sort of chemical that you would accidentally consume and it's been on the ban list for some time.

It surprises me not one jot that i) another Russian athlete has failed a dope test and ii) she's another from the Nike camp.

:aok:

3pm
07-03-2016, 07:37 PM

I thought said drug was banned from 1 Jan?

Sergey
07-03-2016, 07:48 PM
Tip of the iceberg.

Elite level sport is absolutely rotten to the core in so many ways.

:aok:

Rather annoyingly, I'm over in France tomorrow and will miss the immediate fall-out to the story, but as PB says, this is just the tip of the iceberg as WADA have recently introduced a number of new doping procedures and are now testing for different substances. As an aside, a Russian Ice Dancer also failed today for the very same substance.

Tennis has a similar problem to where cycling was at several years ago. There was a huge drug bust involving a certain Dr Fuentes in Spain several years ago when several dozen high profile cyclists were caught blood doping. At the subsequent trial, a number of other Spanish athletes were implicated, but the Spanish authorities and judicial system only released the names of the cyclists for fear of bringing the whole country into disrepute. It was rumoured that Spain could have been stripped of their Euro victory if the names of Fuentes clients were in the public domain.

Not surprisingly, two Spanish tennis players were secretly filmed as using his medical practice - one being Nadal, the other was Jaun Martin del Potro. Since the bust, both of their careers have simply fallen off the proverbial cliff.

I'm glad that Sharapova has finally been snared. She won't be the last.

Sir David Gray
07-03-2016, 07:55 PM
Rather annoyingly, I'm over in France tomorrow and will miss the immediate fall-out to the story, but as PB says, this is just the tip of the iceberg as WADA have recently introduced a number of new doping procedures and are now testing for different substances. As an aside, a Russian Ice Dancer also failed today for the very same substance.

Tennis has a similar problem to where cycling was at several years ago. There was a huge drug bust involving a certain Dr Fuentes in Spain several years ago when several dozen high profile cyclists were caught blood doping. At the subsequent trial, a number of other Spanish athletes were implicated, but the Spanish authorities and judicial system only released the names of the cyclists for fear of bringing the whole country into disrepute. It was rumoured that Spain could have been stripped of their Euro victory if the names of Fuentes clients were in the public domain.

Not surprisingly, two Spanish tennis players were secretly filmed as using his medical practice - one being Nadal, the other was Jaun Martin del Potro. Since the bust, both of their careers have simply fallen off the proverbial cliff.

I'm glad that Sharapova has finally been snared. She won't be the last.

Juan Martin Del Potro's Argentinian and his career's stalled due to a chronic wrist injury.

Sergey
07-03-2016, 08:03 PM
I thought said drug was banned from 1 Jan?

WADA only had a reliable testing procedure that would stand-up to scrutiny on 1st January. They can only test for substances that that in the public domain. Athletes for years have been in cahoots with pharmaceutical companies and have been taking drugs that were still at the clinical trial stage. You can't test for them.

The precursor of this drug was on the banned list, it was simply that this derivative was yet to be introduced. Akin to the 'legal highs' that skip around the drug laws in this country.

heretoday
08-03-2016, 08:05 AM
Her statement to camera seemed pretty honest and contrite for the most part. Then she rather ruined it with a fatuous attempt at levity near the end. Some remark about the hotel carpet.

She needs PR advice. Also a more wide awake medical team behind her.

GreenLake
08-03-2016, 04:12 PM
It means I won't see her at the BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells (http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/en/media-and-news/news/2016/03/03/sharapova-withdraw) next weekend. I will see Andy Murray and might toss him a Hibs scarf if he plays after we win the cup on Sunday. I would love to see him hoist it at a pre-match interview.

heretoday
11-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Andy spoke sense yesterday about the business. Seems there are a lot of fit tennis players with heart conditions!

Pretty Boy
11-03-2016, 01:03 PM
Andy spoke sense yesterday about the business. Seems there are a lot of fit tennis players with heart conditions!

Murray absolutely nailed it. There were a few thinly veiled accusations in there imo.

Geo_1875
11-03-2016, 01:37 PM
Sports authorities should stop wasting time and money trying to catch drug abusers. Let them all take what they want and then it's a level playing field.

CropleyWasGod
11-03-2016, 01:46 PM
Sports authorities should stop wasting time and money trying to catch drug abusers. Let them all take what they want and then it's a level playing field.

It's not, though.

That's explained in one of the chapters in Tyler Hamilton's book about his years as one of Lance's boys. Without getting too technical about it, a small amount of performance-enhancing agents can affect different people in different ways. As a result, there will never be a "level playing-field".

Apart from that, there's the moral issue. If it's accepted that one can only be a top sportsperson by using drugs, what kind of message does that give our kids?

Geo_1875
11-03-2016, 02:39 PM
It's not, though.

That's explained in one of the chapters in Tyler Hamilton's book about his years as one of Lance's boys. Without getting too technical about it, a small amount of performance-enhancing agents can affect different people in different ways. As a result, there will never be a "level playing-field".

Apart from that, there's the moral issue. If it's accepted that one can only be a top sportsperson by using drugs, what kind of message does that give our kids?

As it stands, we're telling them you can get paid £21m a year for hitting a ball over a net while wearing very short skirts and tight tops.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-03-2016, 05:54 PM
As it stands, we're telling them you can get paid £21m a year for hitting a ball over a net while wearing very short skirts and tight tops.

Is that really all there is too it?

JimBHibees
19-04-2016, 01:21 PM
Interesting disagreement between Murray and Becker.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/36073220/boris-becker-andy-murray-is-out-of-order-for-voicing-doping-suspicions