PDA

View Full Version : Taking the M8 to Glasgow on Sunday...

GreenCastle
07-03-2016, 12:48 PM
Average speed cameras - 50mph for a large stretch - would give plenty time getting there early. :agree:

BroxburnHibee
07-03-2016, 12:51 PM
Yep and as of today the roadworks start from J5 (Shotts) onwards.

Jumbo
07-03-2016, 12:51 PM
Also on cameras on M74 for fair distance from Hamilton to Cambuslang

GreenCastle
07-03-2016, 12:56 PM
Thanks for updates.

30,000 fans heading through plus the 65,000 people going to the rugby at 3pm on Sunday will probably see lots of roads closed around Murrayfield.

I can imagine Ferry Road / Queensferry Road way will be really busy with lots of cars and buses on road.

Ryan91
07-03-2016, 01:20 PM
Yep and as of today the roadworks start from J5 (Shotts) onwards.

What a joke, the average speed cameras are bad enough, but more roadworks on the principal east-west route the week before a major Cup final featuring a team from Edinburgh are taking the piss

HibbySpurs
07-03-2016, 01:25 PM
M9, M80, M73, M74........

That's how I'll be going just the average speed cameras on a short stretch of M73/4 to contend with, potential snarl point is at Ballieston as the traffic from M8 merges onto M74.

Moulin Yarns
07-03-2016, 01:32 PM
Don't worry, the Ross County fans have it just as bad, if not worse. They have around 150miles of A9 with average speed cameras to negotiate.

Moulin Yarns
07-03-2016, 01:40 PM
Parking restrictions in place around Hampden

http://www.hampdenpark.co.uk/assets/uploads/downloads/PDFs/travel%20advice/Police%20Scotland%20Travel%20Advice%20Hibernian%20 v%20Ross%20County%2013%2003%202016.pdf

(http://www.hampdenpark.co.uk/assets/uploads/downloads/PDFs/travel%20advice/Police%20Scotland%20Travel%20Advice%20Hibernian%20 v%20Ross%20County%2013%2003%202016.pdf)

If you do take the car, please be aware of Glasgow City Council Parking Controls – Event Day Parking Zone - which affects streets near to Hampden Stadium and will come into force during relevant, well attended events:

"http://www.cityparkingglasgow.co.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2155" (http://"http://www.cityparkingglasgow.co.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2155")

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=7270

Keith_M
07-03-2016, 01:57 PM
If the traffic is really busy, I sometimes turn off the A8/M8 at Coatbridge onto the A725, turn right onto the A721 at Bellshill and meet up with the M74 at Calderbraes.

I suppose you need to be reasonably familiar with the roads, though... or have a good Satnav.

CropleyWasGod
07-03-2016, 02:23 PM
What a joke, the average speed cameras are bad enough, but more roadworks on the principal east-west route the week before a major Cup final featuring a team from Edinburgh are taking the piss

Do you think that they waited until after the SF result to arrange the roadworks?

Killiehibbie
07-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Do you think that they waited until after the SF result to arrange the roadworks?They've had the last 50 years to finish the M8.

Jumbo
07-03-2016, 02:54 PM
If the traffic is really busy, I sometimes turn off the A8/M8 at Coatbridge onto the A725, turn right onto the A721 at Bellshill and meet up with the M74 at Calderbraes.

I suppose you need to be reasonably familiar with the roads, though... or have a good Satnav.
I would avoid that as well, the Raith interchange, at bottom of hill, has works at it 😖

Ryan91
07-03-2016, 03:16 PM
Do you think that they waited until after the SF result to arrange the roadworks?

I'm not trying to claim any conspiracy but there should have been some thought given to the fact that there was a major Cup final taking place the following weekend and chances are that the main motorway would see more traffic than an average weekend regardless of the teams playing.

lucky
07-03-2016, 03:24 PM
The average speed cameras on the M8 are fine during rush hour so I doubt there will be a problem on a Sunday.

Fife-Hibee
07-03-2016, 03:33 PM
Let the train take the strain :) cannae wait !! GGTTH

Keith_M
07-03-2016, 03:34 PM
I would avoid that as well, the Raith interchange, at bottom of hill, has works at it 

Cheers.

:aok:

GreenCastle
07-03-2016, 03:43 PM
The average speed cameras on the M8 are fine during rush hour so I doubt there will be a problem on a Sunday.

I don't drive it during rush hour - but was wondering if it keeps the traffic moving more freely as avoids stop starting? Has it helped the traffic during busy times?

Killiehibbie
07-03-2016, 03:58 PM
I don't drive it during rush hour - but was wondering if it keeps the traffic moving more freely as avoids stop starting? Has it helped the traffic during busy times?Peak time speed about the same as before, not often reaching 50.

jarre1875
07-03-2016, 03:58 PM
Hi folks. Going through by car to the final. Does anyone of any disabled parking near hampden or a carpark semi close. Cheers in advance

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

GreenCastle
07-03-2016, 04:05 PM
One of the best things about heading through to Hampden is seeing the wide variety of buses and transport heading through.

Always good to see the cars with scarves etc out the window also :agree:

I've seen several old double deckers heading through over the year - looks an experience to say the least! Anyone ever been on one of them to Hampden?

Moulin Yarns
07-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Hi folks. Going through by car to the final. Does anyone of any disabled parking near hampden or a carpark semi close. Cheers in advance

Not sure how you get a space, but there is parking at Hampden.

http://www.cafefootball.eu/en/clubs/scotland

oconnors_strip
07-03-2016, 06:53 PM

Hibs had parking passes, you had to apply for them when buying tickets.

Contact ticket office to see if they have any

Leith Green
07-03-2016, 07:10 PM
Im considering going A71 and then into glasgow via motherwell on the M74.. Brings me in on the south side of Glasgow..

SmashinGlass
07-03-2016, 08:41 PM
Im considering going A71 and then into glasgow via motherwell on the M74.. Brings me in on the south side of Glasgow..

Road works starting on the a71 near dalmahoy tomorrow.

Jack
07-03-2016, 09:36 PM
One of the best things about heading through to Hampden is seeing the wide variety of buses and transport heading through.

Always good to see the cars with scarves etc out the window also :agree:

I've seen several old double deckers heading through over the year - looks an experience to say the least! Anyone ever been on one of them to Hampden?

Aye me!

An experience to be avoided again and again and again but an experience none the less :-)

Andy Bee
08-03-2016, 12:55 AM
If you're not able to get a space at the stadium try here https://www.justpark.com/uk/parking/hampden-park/?q=hampden+park&ac_country=&place_id=&location_name=&source=none&coords=&start_date=13+Mar+2016&start_time=01%3A00%3A00&end_date=13+Mar+2016&end_time=18%3A00%3A00&filter=1 I've used the site a few times and usually book the one on Ardmay Cres, pricey I know but it's 5 mins from the stadium and saves a lot of hassle.

cabbageandribs1875
08-03-2016, 01:54 AM
let the train take the strain :thumbsup:

sleeping giant
08-03-2016, 09:27 AM
Aye me!

An experience to be avoided again and again and again but an experience none the less :-)

Me too. Went to the final against Aberdeen years ago in a red white and blue double decker from longstone bowling club. Driver got lost and we ended up 10 mins late missing Aberdeenshire first 2 goals.

GreenCastle
08-03-2016, 09:13 PM
PRE EVENT ROUTES FOR HIBERNIAN SUPPORTERS APPROACHING THE EAST OF THE STADIUM

M74 Northbound: Exit the M74 at Junction 1A (Polmadie). Turn left onto Polmadie Road, continue to junction with Aikenhead Road, continue south onto Aikenhead Road, stay in the right hand lane and continue through the junction with Prospecthill Road where your coach will be directed to park in the ‘purple car park’ on the right. A car park pass will be required for entry; those without a pass will be directed to park on Calder Street after exiting the M74.
M74 Southbound: Exit the M74 at Junction 1A (Polmadie). Turn right onto Polmadie Road and follow the above route.
M80 Southbound: Exit towards M73 Junction 3 (Mollinsburn) and continue south. At Junction 1 join the M74 north and follow the above route.
M8 Eastbound: Continue on the M8 to junction 1 of the M74, (offside lane). Exit the M74 at Junction 1A (Polmadie) and follow the above route.
A8 Westbound: Continue onto the M8 to Junction 8 (Baillieston) and join the M73 southbound. Thereafter take the offside lane to join the M74 and follow the above route.
POST EVENT ROUTES EXITING THE EAST OF THE STADIUM
After the event, vehicles travelling via the M74 northbound should follow the reverse of the above routes where possible.

GreenLake
08-03-2016, 09:18 PM
Hopefully there won't be any asshats like this on the way to Hampden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA2I86GHPiU

Alfred E Newman
08-03-2016, 09:40 PM
I would avoid that as well, the Raith interchange, at bottom of hill, has works at it 

There have been road works there for years.

hibeelin
08-03-2016, 10:02 PM

I have a blue badge and normally park in Asda car park. Never had any problems

GlesgaeHibby
08-03-2016, 10:47 PM
I'm not trying to claim any conspiracy but there should have been some thought given to the fact that there was a major Cup final taking place the following weekend and chances are that the main motorway would see more traffic than an average weekend regardless of the teams playing.

It will have been planned long in advance. Probably not that much more traffic headed through west than a usual weekend with busloads off to see the Bigot Brothers from Edinburgh and surrounding areas!

GreenCastle
08-03-2016, 10:55 PM
What time are people heading through via car / bus from Edinburgh?

I would say latest someone should leave Edinburg would be 1pm - incase of any issues on road / parking - finding seats etc.

Greenworld
10-03-2016, 06:49 PM
What time are people heading through via car / bus from Edinburgh?

I would say latest someone should leave Edinburg would be 1pm - incase of any issues on road / parking - finding seats etc.
I would leave no later than 12 allow yourself plenty time you need to find somewhere to park

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

BroxburnHibee
10-03-2016, 06:50 PM
Scottish Motorcycle Show at Ingliston this weekend as well so Glasgow road might be best avoided.

et_hibby
10-03-2016, 10:48 PM

Was in LRT one for a Livi Semi (SC 2001 when we lost to Cellic in final?) and the driver didn't know the way to Hampden (odds on he was a Jambo, this was during their 40-odd year trophyless blip). Stayed on the M77 too long and after shouts to leave the m-way at the next junction, he started to head through south Glasgow back up towards the ground. Disaster was narrowly averted when he nearly hit a low bridge. Bus ground to a halt in busy traffic and he took about 20 mins to execute a U-Turn.

No, I don't think it was Benny Brazil before anyone asks...

GreenCastle
10-03-2016, 11:04 PM
Scottish Motorcycle Show at Ingliston this weekend as well so Glasgow road might be best avoided.

Good tip - didn't realise that was on also!!! :grr:

Probably safer to leave around 12 and save any worries about arriving late! :aok: Always good to soak up the atmosphere around the stadium on the day.

ekhibee
11-03-2016, 12:52 AM

Lol there's roadworks there at the moment lol, I stay in East Kilbride and driving back from Edinburgh was fine last time till I hit the average speed cameras just after Harthill, then took the slip road to go onto the A725 but the normal road is shut so be careful if you go that way. And then if you're REALLY unlucky you come to the Raith Interchange which is an absolute nightmare at the moment. The roadworks there are due to last 3 years believe it or not.