PDA

View Full Version : Diamonds Are For Hampden?

TheFamous1875
06-03-2016, 11:40 PM
Do we stick with the diamond for the final? Surely a diamond would leaves us more exposed on a bigger pitch? We seem to be more effective when playing with width also. Discuss.

HappyHanlon
07-03-2016, 12:01 AM
3-5-2

Jones28
07-03-2016, 12:02 AM
We looked good with a 3-5-2, how do Ross County usually set up? Will probably depend on that.

DTS
07-03-2016, 12:35 AM
Do we stick with the diamond for the final? Surely a diamond would leaves us more exposed on a bigger pitch? We seem to be more effective when playing with width also. Discuss.

In terms of the bigger pitch the Hampden pitch is the same dimensions as Easter road's. The formation will depend on who's available but I imagine it will be a diamond with Bartley back in

Pretty Boy
07-03-2016, 08:10 AM
In terms of the bigger pitch the Hampden pitch is the same dimensions as Easter road's. The formation will depend on who's available but I imagine it will be a diamond with Bartley back in

It's not, it's bigger. Hampden is 115 x 75 yards whilst ER is 112 x 74 yards.

CropleyWasGod
07-03-2016, 08:12 AM
It's only 4% bigger.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
07-03-2016, 08:30 AM
I'm almost certain we will line up
Oxley
Gray
Fontaine
McGregor
Stevenson
Bartley
McGinn
Henderson
Fyvie (if fit, if not Carmicheal)
Stokes
Cummings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeanWilson
07-03-2016, 08:34 AM
Oxley
Gray
Fontaine
McGregor
Stevenson
Bartley
McGinn
Henderson
Stokes
Cummings

Can't see Fyvie coming straight back in for a cup final. Plus Bartley and Fyvie in the same team doesn't work IMO.

Lago
07-03-2016, 08:35 AM
It's only 4% bigger.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
4% wish I had that on my ISAs

Smartie
07-03-2016, 08:39 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the diamond but accept it can be useful depending on who we have available.

I'm not sure it's our best option when we have both Fyvie and McGeouch out - it's good for squeezing in lots of good central midfielders when you don't have much out wide.

3-5-2 seems the best option to me right now but it will depend on who makes it/ who misses out fitness-wise.

I thought Kevin Thomson gave us something to think about yesterday tbh - having played well AND done so for 90 minutes might bring the diamond into play.

Billy Whizz
07-03-2016, 08:47 AM
Oxley
Gray
Fontaine
McGregor
Stevenson
Bartley
McGinn
Henderson
Stokes
Cummings

Won't be far away from this, but can't see is starting with players who haven't featured recently, Fyvie/Carmichael

Hiber-nation
07-03-2016, 09:08 AM
Can't see any reason to split up the Keatings/Stokes partnership.

J-C
07-03-2016, 09:12 AM
Can't see Fyvie coming straight back in for a cup final. Plus Bartley and Fyvie in the same team doesn't work IMO.

How does it not work? one is a defensive midfielder and the other is a dynamic attack minded one, Stubbs tried to play Fyvie in the holding mid role and it was a disaster, especially against Rangers.

GreenOnions
07-03-2016, 09:15 AM

I know what you're saying but I don't agree. I don't think it would make sense to leave out your top goalscorer from a cup final. Tough on Keatings but he'll probably get on at some point. It's a fair bet Cummings will score I reckon.

Ozyhibby
07-03-2016, 09:18 AM

Because Cummings is our top goalscorer and has proven himself to be a big game player with no confidence issues.

Brightside
07-03-2016, 09:21 AM
I'd go with the same back 3. Bring in Bartley for Thomson. and that's it. Keatings did enough to keep his place for me...and seems to work better alongside Stokes. Bring on Cumming in the last 30 if its not going well. I can't see Fyvie coming in to the team...we really need to stop risking players when they aren't fit yet.

Keith_M
07-03-2016, 09:35 AM
I'd play Stokes, Keatings, Cummings, Dagnall and El-Alagui up front and tell the other players just to keep battering it up to them.

Coults1875
07-03-2016, 09:37 AM

I was very impressed with the two of them yesterday! Linked up well together and at times created great chances and link up play but were just unlucky with the final ball.

JimBHibees
07-03-2016, 09:43 AM
I was very impressed with the two of them yesterday! Linked up well together and at times created great chances and link up play but were just unlucky with the final ball.

The goal we scored was fantastic link up play.

MWHIBBIES
07-03-2016, 09:52 AM
How does it not work? one is a defensive midfielder and the other is a dynamic attack minded one, Stubbs tried to play Fyvie in the holding mid role and it was a disaster, especially against Rangers.It was a disaster only against Rangers, Fyvie has had plenty of good games there. You also don't need to be a destroyer to play in front of the back 4, this is proven all over the world every weekend.

J-C
07-03-2016, 09:55 AM
It was a disaster only against Rangers, Fyvie has had plenty of good games there. You also don't need to be a destroyer to play in front of the back 4, this is proven all over the world every weekend.

My point was he plays better with a free role, which he did prior to his latest injury, Bartley is a natural DM and should be played there without hindering Fyvie's play.

HiBremian
07-03-2016, 06:21 PM
I'd play Stokes, Keatings, Cummings, Dagnall and El-Alagui up front and tell the other players just to keep battering it up to them.

Brownlie=Gray
Shades=Lewis
King Pat=McGinn
Black=Fonts
Sloop=Marv
Edwards=Stokes
O'Rourke=JC
Gordon=Farid
Crops=Dagnall
Duncan=Keats

One of these just doesn't fit, no matter which way you play it......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PISTOL1875
07-03-2016, 07:15 PM
County play with wingers and will demolish us down the wings if we play the diamond.. 3-5-2 all the way