PDA

View Full Version : Stokes and Keatings

FromTheCapital
06-03-2016, 06:19 PM
I thought their partnership was first class for the most part today.

Keatings hassled and chased everything before managing to finally get his goal and Stokesy's attitude and work rate was excellent as was his hold-up play and skill to create crosses into the box, one of which led to the goal.

However, what pleased me most was the link-up play that they produced. They played close to each other at all times and looked to get in behind.

All in all, gutted that we didn't manage to get the win but we're still in the cup and it's given me a boost of confidence for next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecat23
06-03-2016, 06:28 PM
Spot on, thought they worked very well together.

hibsboy69
06-03-2016, 06:34 PM
Agree - good post 👍🏻

TheFamous1875
Ditto. Thought Keatings benefitted from playing alongside Stokes - would throwing Cummings alongside them be a hinderance?

Libby Hibby
Agreed, they looked like a proper strike partnership today

GreenCastle
06-03-2016, 06:36 PM
Cummings surely has to start final though..

shamo9
06-03-2016, 06:37 PM
So the question is do we stick with them or try and find a way to fit in our top goal scorer? I'd play Cummings because even out of form he's proven that he is a big match player. Tough call though.

Argylehibby
06-03-2016, 06:40 PM

Sometimes the best players don't make the best team. Jason hasn't been on great form of late but may benefit from the day off today. A nice headache for Subbsy to have.

liamh2202
06-03-2016, 06:41 PM
343 anyone?

GreenCastle
06-03-2016, 06:43 PM
Sometimes the best players don't make the best team. Jason hasn't been on great form of late but may benefit from the day off today. A nice headache for Subbsy to have.

Lots of headaches..

3-5-2 or 4-4-2 diamond

Does Bartley come back in ?

Fyvie? Dylan?

Does KT start ? Thought he was one of best players today.

What about Cummings ? Him and Stokes have struggled together..though played together fine in the Derby.

J-C
06-03-2016, 06:44 PM
As good a player Cummings is he can be pretty selfish, Malonga used to come a lot deeper and that's why they worked well together.

murray26
06-03-2016, 06:44 PM
Played very well.. Certainly a headache for Stubbs.. I'm no sure what I would prefer myself if I'm honest.. I don't think you can play all three..

hibsbollah
06-03-2016, 06:46 PM
Agree completely.

liamh2202
06-03-2016, 06:51 PM
I think keatings should start with either stokes or jason. I think he has played very well in both the alloa game (although he was frustrated not geting a goal) and today

gaz1875
06-03-2016, 06:53 PM
Ditto. Thought Keatings benefitted from playing alongside Stokes - would throwing Cummings alongside them be a hinderance?

It has been tried and not worked, both strikers today played like a partnership...not before time either.

Ozyhibby
06-03-2016, 07:12 PM
I think Stokes and Cummings will play the final.

Seveno
06-03-2016, 07:14 PM
I thought the difference today was that Stokes realised that he was playing in team.

Borderhibbie76
06-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Thought they both linked up well today...Cummings and Stokes just don't work as a partnership imo

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
06-03-2016, 09:09 PM

Why?? Hes out of form and keatings went and got his goal today.

Ozyhibby
06-03-2016, 09:28 PM

Only 3 games without a goal?

Andy74
06-03-2016, 09:30 PM
Thought they looked good. Last 15 Stokes had a couple of poor flicks and passes though. Probably should have been subbed at that stage.

thebausburst
06-03-2016, 09:32 PM

Cummings goal scoring record over the course of the season means he can't be left out, oh and Hibs desperately want him to sign a new contract.

Hermit Crab
06-03-2016, 09:36 PM
Only 3 games without a goal?

For the chances he's had that's out of form.

Alex Trager
06-03-2016, 09:36 PM

So playing devils advocate, what about stokes who is equally out of form

TheFamous1875
06-03-2016, 09:38 PM
I can't see it being anything other than a diamond with Cummings and Stokes up top together. That does not bode well.

Hermit Crab
06-03-2016, 09:39 PM
I can't see it being anything other than a diamond with Cummings and Stokes up top together. That does not bode well.

So far they've shown they're not a partnership thats going to get us lots of goals.

J-C
06-03-2016, 09:41 PM
So far they've shown they're not a partnership thats going to get us lots of goals.

Unfortunately none of our striking options look like getting us lots of goals.

Smartie
06-03-2016, 09:42 PM

I agree, unfortunately.

I agree 100% with the OP, Stokes and Keatings looked more like a strike partnership than anything we've had recently. Both played well individually and they played well as a partnership.

I thought that coatings did well to win as much i the air as he did, given he's a fairly wee guy. Nobody seemed to read the flicks (nobody expected him to win the flicks probably) so they came to nothing but good on him for jumping and challenging as much as he did.

3-5-2 always looks better to me.

Stubbs has some big decisions to make this week.

blackpoolhibs
06-03-2016, 09:43 PM
Id keep the same two up front from today, they look as if they know what to do as a partnership, where Cummings is all about himself. Harsh on him maybe, but footballs harsh and its all about the team and the result next week.

Hermit Crab
06-03-2016, 09:43 PM
Unfortunately none of our striking options look like getting us lots of goals.

I was surprised Alagui wasn't brought on for Stokes today, don't write him off for the final either.

Hermit Crab
06-03-2016, 09:44 PM
Id keep the same two up front from today, they look as if they know what to do as a partnership, where Cummings is all about himself. Harsh on him maybe, but footballs harsh and its all about the team and the result next week.

To be fair Blackpool, Stokes can be like that too.

Smartie
06-03-2016, 09:45 PM

That's why I think it's one or the other with those 2, not the 2 of them together.

Alex Trager
06-03-2016, 09:46 PM
I was surprised Alagui wasn't brought on for Stokes today, don't write him off for the final either.

Same mate.

I was very surprised to not see him come on too.
I thought stokes started to play poorly towards the end. Misplaced a few passes and tried skills that never worked at all.

He was immense in the first ten minutes of the second half as well.

Maybe an unpopular opinion tonight mind you

Thought Keetings was superb. Zipped about well and took his goal well.

Still cannot understand the constant long ball tactics when we don't win the second balls

blackpoolhibs
06-03-2016, 09:49 PM

Today was the first time in a long time that it felt we had a partnership up front, for me Cummings is a poor footballer who knows where the back of the net is.

I don't see him working well with any of the players we have, but if he keeps scoring i suppose nobody will mind, i just fancy todays pairing to give us a better balance up top.

GreenCastle
06-03-2016, 09:49 PM

He's not out of form.

He is our top scorer with 20th this season - in a team not scoring many recently. Also scored in the last round and got us into the QF of Scottish Cup.

Keatings did well today and has 8 goals.

I agree Stokes and Keatings did look like a partnership together today though.

Though Stokes and Cummings have been on the pitch when goals have been scored - St Johnstone semi final, Hearts away and home - it was only Livi and Queen of South where the whole team was below average that it didn't work.

Stubbs was about to bring on Boyle or Farid today before ICT scored - Keatings came off as was cramping up.

Hermit Crab
06-03-2016, 09:51 PM
Today was the first time in a long time that it felt we had a partnership up front, for me Cummings is a poor footballer who knows where the back of the net is.

I don't see him working well with any of the players we have, but if he keeps scoring i suppose nobody will mind, i just fancy todays pairing to give us a better balance up top.

:agree:. I got slated for even suggesting that a few months back, I know there are others who agree but won't say it.

blackpoolhibs
06-03-2016, 09:56 PM
:agree:. I got slated for even suggesting that a few months back, I know there are others who agree but won't say it.

I never thought Ally McCoist was much of a footballer, but he made a good living and won quite a bit in the game because he knew where the back of the net was.

I have no problem saying what i think about any of our players, although i'm sure i will get labeled a troll very soon for having this view on Cummings.

Hermit Crab
06-03-2016, 09:57 PM
I never thought Ally McCoist was much of a footballer, but he made a good living and won quite a bit in the game because he knew where the back of the net was.

I have no problem saying what i think about any of our players, although i'm sure i will get labeled a troll very soon for having this view on Cummings.

I did yesterday for saying similar.

J-C
06-03-2016, 10:02 PM

I don't think he's poor but a bit one dimensional and I can see where you're coming from, his partnership Malonga worked because Malonga came deeper for the ball and allowed JC to play almost like a lone striker.

Eyrie
06-03-2016, 10:55 PM
I'd start the Stokes and Keatings partnership, then bring Cummings off the bench to get the best of both worlds.

Hermit Crab
06-03-2016, 11:01 PM
I'd start the Stokes and Keatings partnership, then bring Cummings off the bench to get the best of both worlds.

Any room for Alagui?

Eyrie
06-03-2016, 11:04 PM
Any room for Alagui?

Depends on how the game is going.

Hermit Crab
06-03-2016, 11:06 PM
Depends on how the game is going.

I think we're missing a trick with him the now, came of the bench vs Morton and Dumbarton and played well, scoring vs Dumbarton

Borderhibbie76
07-03-2016, 01:32 AM

Find myself agreeing with u on this...Keats worked much harder for the cause today than Cummings would have..JCs attempts at holding the ball up and aerial challenges are non existent most of time. But he knows were net is...and WILL start next Sunday imo

monktonharp
07-03-2016, 01:37 AM
I thought their partnership was first class for the most part today.

Keatings hassled and chased everything before managing to finally get his goal and Stokesy's attitude and work rate was excellent as was his hold-up play and skill to create crosses into the box, one of which led to the goal.

However, what pleased me most was the link-up play that they produced. They played close to each other at all times and looked to get in behind.

All in all, gutted that we didn't manage to get the win but we're still in the cup and it's given me a boost of confidence for next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk:agree:

JOD
07-03-2016, 03:00 AM
For the chances he's had that's out of form.

Jambo

Scooter
07-03-2016, 04:20 AM
I like Keatings. I think he has a great footballing brain can be very clever. Just doesn't always show it

Onion
07-03-2016, 08:42 AM

Would be a major shock, but that's why Stubbs gets paid the big bucks to make these tough decisions. S&K did look much more of a partnership yesterday, no doubt driven by the thought of playing themselves into the final. Don't care who he plays as long as we win.

SeanWilson
07-03-2016, 08:44 AM
Cummings has a knack for bagging a 'big' goal... Just can't see him being left out the starting 11.

Brightside
07-03-2016, 09:30 AM

Agreed. Thought they both worked really hard nad had a more of an understanding of each others movements. Cummings and Stokes looks for the same runs all the time. Keating is a more intelligent footballer than Cummings.

Hermit Crab
07-03-2016, 09:56 AM
Jambo

Lay off the drink before posting.

MB62
07-03-2016, 10:09 AM

:agree: and I think I would have had Boyle on for his pace too to give us an 'out' ball.

marinello59
07-03-2016, 10:16 AM
After yesterday I'm hoping we start with Keatings and Stokes on Sunday.

lapsedhibee
07-03-2016, 10:57 AM

:agree:

Hermit Crab
07-03-2016, 10:57 AM

Wouldn't be the worst idea.

Allant1981
07-03-2016, 11:09 AM

Was just saying the exact thing but i think stubbs will go with cummings

07-03-2016, 11:15 AM
Delighted Keatings got a goal. Much needed after his recent goal drought and hopefully he now kicks on to get more.

Jones28
07-03-2016, 11:21 AM
Reviewing the highlights and I saw enough to convince me that those 2 are more of a partnership that Stokes/Cummings. Stokes goal against St Mirren was also from a Keatings cross, and that was after about 5 minutes of playing together.

lapsedhibee
07-03-2016, 11:47 AM
Agree with the OP, they linked up brilliantly yesterday and the goal capped it off neatly. It's a nice dilemma to have for a Cup final in my opinion. If McGeouch can't keep himself fit for the final then I would line up with:

Oxley
Gunnarson
McGregor
Fontaine
Gray
McGinn
Bartley
Henderson
Stevenson
Stokes
Keatings
Cummings

3 (or 5) at the back and Bartley + Cummings back into the side, with Stokes and Keatings' link up play hopefully feeding into JC.

3-5-2-1 - don't think that'll catch on, somehow.

Lancs Harp
07-03-2016, 11:49 AM
I cant see Stubbsy leaving Cummings out myself.

I too thought a much more switched on Stokes and energetic Keatings played well together and their link up play with each other was encouraging but cant really see Stubbsy basing his selection for next weeks cup final on just one match. Keatings, Stokes and Cummings have all struggled for form in recent games (as has the team in general)

Think we will go with Cummings and Stokes ad the unlucky Keating will miss out on a start.

heretoday
07-03-2016, 11:52 AM
Gotta go with Cummings.

Since90+2
07-03-2016, 11:54 AM
Cummings has to start , he is our top goalscorer and also someone who regularly scores in the big games.

Aldo
07-03-2016, 12:04 PM
Cummings will start alongside Stokes with Keatings dropping to bench.

I would hope 3-5-2 on Sunday.

Ox
Gunnarsson McGregor Fontaine
Gray Henderson McGinn Bartley Stevenson

Stokes Cummings

Harsh on KT and Keatings but this would be my team!!

Think it has come too quick or Fyvie though!!

lord bunberry
07-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Keatings couldn't lace Cummings boots. What do we want from our strikers? Jason scores lots of goals, Keatings doesn't. I'd go with Cummings and El Alagui for the final.

500miles
07-03-2016, 12:50 PM
What's the goals to minutes radio between Cummings and Keatings? I don't think Jason's would be much better, particularly in the league.

Hermit Crab
07-03-2016, 12:57 PM
Keatings couldn't lace Cummings boots. What do we want from our strikers? Jason scores lots of goals, Keatings doesn't. I'd go with Cummings and El Alagui for the final.

Complete rubbish. You think Cummings is some world class player? He's scored goals in poor league. He's ok at this level but to say Keatings couldn't lace his boots is nonsense.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-03-2016, 12:57 PM
If anything, they both maybe didn't have the legs to last 90 minutes, which was a shame.

SeanWilson
07-03-2016, 01:05 PM

We must be watching different games... Every time i've seen Keatings get a chance in the team he looks lively and willing. I can think of some really clever goals he's scored in a hibs shirt. Cummings is a great raw talent, however he frustrates just as much as he performs. To say Keatings 'couldn't lace' his boots is utter pish IMO.

Nakedmanoncrack
07-03-2016, 01:07 PM
Was it not Keatings who had the ludicrous open goal miss with last kick of ball in the Derby?

Hermit Crab
07-03-2016, 01:09 PM
Was it not Keatings who had the ludicrous open goal miss with last kick of ball in the Derby?

Aye, Cummings missed a worse one v Morton at 0-0. We won the hearts game. We got scudded by Morton.

Cummings also missed a sitter at Dumbarton to make it 3-3. Spooned it over the bar from 3 yds out.

Smartie
07-03-2016, 01:35 PM
We must be watching different games... Every time i've seen Keatings get a chance in the team he looks lively and willing. I can think of some really clever goals he's scored in a hibs shirt. Cummings is a great raw talent, however he frustrates just as much as he performs. To say Keatings 'couldn't lace' his boots is utter pish IMO.

My main criticism of Keatings is that I think he lets his head go down a bit.

If he misses a chance or if his touch isn't quite right he can look like he's feeling a bit sorry for himself. His goal (and performance) on Sunday will have done him the world of good. I agree that he's a good player, a clever player.

The thing I like about Cummings is his attitude to missing. He never lets it get to him, he nonchalantly brushes every disaster off and gets on with scoring the next one which is a brilliant quality to have. Even though it's not been happening for him in recent weeks you wouldn't bet against him bouncing back again at any moment. I like his attitude tbh.

lord bunberry
07-03-2016, 01:36 PM
Complete rubbish. You think Cummings is some world class player? He's scored goals in poor league. He's ok at this level but to say Keatings couldn't lace his boots is nonsense.
Keatings has failed to score goals in this poor league and has failed to establish himself ahead of Cummings, why is that?

lord bunberry
07-03-2016, 01:39 PM
James Collins was lively and willing, like Keatings he didn't score many goals though.

Hermit Crab
07-03-2016, 01:39 PM
Keatings has failed to score goals in this poor league and has failed to establish himself ahead of Cummings, why is that?

Apparently it's because he can't lace Cummings boots. Has cummings scored a hatrick for Hibs? Genuine question by the way.

lord bunberry
07-03-2016, 01:42 PM
Apparently it's because he can't lace Cummings boots. Has cummings scored a hatrick for Hibs? Genuine question by the way.
I'm not sure if he was awarded the goal against Falkirk when it was originally called as hatrick.

SeanWilson
07-03-2016, 01:48 PM
James Collins was lively and willing, like Keatings he didn't score many goals though.

:rolleyes:

Hermit Crab
07-03-2016, 01:54 PM
:rolleyes:

Keatings has many more assists than Cummings and at least passes the ball instead of going for glory all the time.

SeanWilson
07-03-2016, 02:00 PM
Keatings has many more assists than Cummings and at least passes the ball instead of going for glory all the time.

I like both. They are completely different players. Keatings has never really had a real run in the team and i think with a few games and goals for confidence, he'd be up there with JC in the goal scoring stakes.

The James Collins comparison with every striker who is lacking confidence is just stupid.

The Sundance Kid
07-03-2016, 02:14 PM

To be fair he only has 1 more assist than Cummings this season

Big_Franck
07-03-2016, 02:16 PM
For me Stokes and Keatings seems to be the best strike partnership we have at the moment. For whatever reason Stokes and Cummings don't appear to link well, from what i've seen so far anyway. It's difficult though as we need Cummings' goal threat. It'll be interesting to see how we line up on Sunday with the number of attacking options we have.

Smartie
07-03-2016, 02:17 PM
To be fair he only has 1 more assist than Cummings this season

Keatings must have played fewer games though yes?

The Sundance Kid
07-03-2016, 02:18 PM
What's the goals to minutes radio between Cummings and Keatings? I don't think Jason's would be much better, particularly in the league.

Don't know about goals per minute but the goals per game ratio for both at Hibs are:
Cummings 43 goals in 93 games (0.46 goals per game)
Keatings 8 goals in 27 games (0.3 goals per game)

The Sundance Kid
07-03-2016, 02:21 PM
Keatings must have played fewer games though yes?

That is true, Keatings has played 6 fewer than Cummings this season.

The Sundance Kid
07-03-2016, 02:23 PM

He hasn't and rather strangely for all his 20 goals this season he's yet to score more than 1 goal in a game so far this season

B.H.F.C
07-03-2016, 02:26 PM
Aye, Cummings missed a worse one v Morton at 0-0. We won the hearts game. We got scudded by Morton.

Cummings also missed a sitter at Dumbarton to make it 3-3. Spooned it over the bar from 3 yds out.

What about the 20 odd times he has stuck the ball in the net this year? Dread to think where we would be without Cummings goals this year, even if he is far from perfect.

JimBHibees
07-03-2016, 02:36 PM

You really dont like Cummings do you? Dont understand it to be honest, he isnt perfect however is young and improving. The bottom line is that his goal scoring record in the bigger games is exceptional including a superb record in derbies. We are about to play the biggest game of the season so to think about not starting with him doesnt make any sense to me. The manager has preferred Cummings over Keats and dont see that changing.

The_Horde
07-03-2016, 02:39 PM
All 3.

Cummings and Keatings with Stokes in behind. :wink:

500miles
07-03-2016, 02:43 PM
Keatings goal average is 1 every 177 mins, and Cummings is 1 every 135. Considering the number of games JK played in midfield, it's a close comparison.