PDA

View Full Version : Pros and cons

Monts
06-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Apart from the obvious man in black conning people into thinking he's a pro ref, there were a few pros and cons today.

Pros
Another premier league team has tried and failed to beat us.
Thomson playing well and lasting the full 90.
Stokes with much better link up play.
Keatings getting his goal.
Bartley and Cummings will be back for the replay

Cons
Another injury for Dylan.
Stubbs lack of a plan b.
A replay adding to our fixture list.
More missed opportunities in front of goal.

QMU-1875
06-03-2016, 04:12 PM
Apart from the obvious man in black conning people into thinking he's a pro ref, there were a few pros and cons today.

Pros

Cons
Stubbs lack of a plan b.

Con I disagree with is the plan b. Stubbs changed it for McGeouch and it worked well. Agree about missed opps, needs urgent attention.

Willis1875
06-03-2016, 04:12 PM
Another goal conceded from 1 shot on target,that aside played well and done more than enough to win the game

cabbageandribs1875
06-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Con I disagree with is the plan b. Stubbs changed it for McGeouch and it worked well. Agree about missed opps, needs urgent attention.

that wasn't tactical, it was forced

Pretty Boy
06-03-2016, 04:15 PM
A pro is it puts 3-5-2 back on the agenda.

We look a far more threatening side playing that way imo.

Monts
06-03-2016, 04:19 PM

I agree with that. Would prefer it with Gunnerson as the wing back, but we've not got Hanlon to facilitate that.

QMU-1875
06-03-2016, 04:21 PM
that wasn't tactical, it was forced

Still going to plan b. Could have made a like for like sub, game wasn't going for us so he changed he formation and it worked. Don't know hiw much good changing a formation a third time would have.

Vault Boy
06-03-2016, 04:22 PM

Agreed. Gives the midfield a more comfortable platform to express themselves, adds some much needed natural width and seems to help us in retaining possession. A lot to be said for this formation when it's implemented with a positive ethos rather than one of containment.

QMU-1875
06-03-2016, 04:24 PM
Agreed. Gives the midfield a more comfortable platform to express themselves, adds some much needed natural width and seems to help us in retaining possession. A lot to be said for this formation when it's implemented with a positive ethos rather than one of containment.

Would love to see Boyle in the wing back role again.

GreenCastle
06-03-2016, 04:40 PM

Definitely forced change - though it actually changed the game for us.

I think it suits our players and gives us better width than the diamond 4. Also McGregor and Fontaine looked more comfortable.

His challenge is picking a balanced team for the final.

If we had lost today confidence would have been rock bottom so glad we got something out the game. Still need to create more once we get one goal ahead and not drop deeper.

BoomtownHibees
06-03-2016, 04:41 PM
Still going to plan b. Could have made a like for like sub, game wasn't going for us so he changed he formation and it worked. Don't know hiw much good changing a formation a third time would have.

Couldn't have went like for like with no midfielders on the bench

KWJ
06-03-2016, 04:42 PM
As I mentioned elsewhere, shame to discover that John Hughes has found a plan b. His changes, including ex Hibs youth Lewis Horner, changed the game.

Tapes99
06-03-2016, 04:43 PM
Another goal conceded from 1 shot on target,that aside played well and done more than enough to win the game

1 shot on target. What game were you watching?

Willis1875
06-03-2016, 04:44 PM
1 shot on target. What game were you watching?

The game on BBC 1

Tapes99
06-03-2016, 04:46 PM
The game on BBC 1
Couldn't watch it as I was at Easter Road. You must have missed Oxleys couple of saves.

Willis1875
06-03-2016, 04:48 PM
Sky sports have it as 2 on target,1 being the goal and the other the volley from distance that went down the keepers throat.sorry I worded it wrongly I meant scored from there 1st shot on target

Tapes99
06-03-2016, 04:54 PM
https://youtu.be/ttPwA8hitoY

GreenCastle
06-03-2016, 04:54 PM
Just back from the game and speaking with someone who watched on tv - very different analysis to parts of the game.

Very odd as I thought ICT were a pretty well organised hardworking team and they thought they were terrible.

Just shows you how watching on tv can give you an opinion of a game with a limited view and not see what's happening off the ball etc. Though you do get the benefit of replays etc.

Willis1875
06-03-2016, 05:05 PM
https://youtu.be/ttPwA8hitoY

Haha 👍👍

Monts
06-03-2016, 05:44 PM
Sky sports have it as 2 on target,1 being the goal and the other the volley from distance that went down the keepers throat.sorry I worded it wrongly I meant scored from there 1st shot on target

I don't remember any more shots on target than that, but they were always a threat, even when we were playing in their half.

GreenCastle
06-03-2016, 05:46 PM
Do we go 3-5-2 in the final ?

Nevi_SOL
06-03-2016, 05:54 PM
Do we go 3-5-2 in the final ?

Yes.

judas
06-03-2016, 05:57 PM

Pros

Cons
Stubbs lack of a plan b.

Agreed. Many positives.

But let me throw in a big con. Oxley was asked to do one thing in the entire game - save Icts only shot on target. But he was about 8 yards off his line in an abysmal position. Truly an awful player wasting the positive efforts of his team mates.

Stubbs may be making the same mistake that most of his last 5 predecessor made. Failing to address a debilitating goalkeeper problem.

We have a sensitive bomb, that I fear will be activated next Sunday.

greenginger
06-03-2016, 06:01 PM
I think ICT will be without Tansey for the replay, second booking today.

They have had 11 bookings and he is the first to pick up a second.

Hermit Crab
06-03-2016, 06:02 PM

They had more than one shot on target.

Scooter
06-03-2016, 06:05 PM

Not according to sky just after they scored. It was 5-1 to us with shots on target

Hermit Crab
06-03-2016, 06:06 PM
Not according to sky just after they scored. It was 5-1 to us with shots on target

Sky weren't at the game, I was. There was volley in the second half that needed saving.

Scooter
06-03-2016, 06:07 PM
Sky weren't at the game, I was. There was volley in the second half that needed saving.

BBC then

Willis1875
06-03-2016, 06:13 PM

Meant the 1st shot on target

cabbageandribs1875
06-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Agreed. Many positives.

But let me throw in a big con. Oxley was asked to do one thing in the entire game - save Icts only shot on target. But he was about 8 yards off his line in an abysmal position. Truly an awful player wasting the positive efforts of his team mates.

Stubbs may be making the same mistake that most of his last 5 predecessor made. Failing to address a debilitating goalkeeper problem.

We have a sensitive bomb, that I fear will be activated next Sunday.

i thought it strange that he only put his arm out a bit when the boy hit it, didn't want to say so on here though incase i got accused of slating him :greengrin

judas
06-03-2016, 06:59 PM
i thought it strange that he only put his arm out a bit when the boy hit it, didn't want to say so on here though incase i got accused of slating him :greengrin

I thought exactly the same thing and nearly made reference to it

hibbysam
06-03-2016, 07:05 PM

So a boy has the ball 10 yards from goal, no one in front of him, we have someone saying Oxley is too far out, being 6 yards from his goal, and others because the boy hits a bullet that is past him before he could even move, unbelievable, as others have said the cross should've been stopped and Thomson should've followed the runner, to blame the keeper for it is unbelievable! Petr Cech wouldn't have saved that, the boy has pinged it into the top corner from 10 yards and even Gray on the line couldn't stop it.

ancient hibee
06-03-2016, 07:06 PM
Nobody was to blame-it was a good goal-forget it.

judas
06-03-2016, 07:24 PM
So a boy has the ball 10 yards from goal, no one in front of him, we have someone saying Oxley is too far out, being 6 yards from his goal, and others because the boy hits a bullet that is past him before he could even move, unbelievable, as others have said the cross should've been stopped and Thomson should've followed the runner, to blame the keeper for it is unbelievable! Petr Cech wouldn't have saved that, the boy has pinged it into the top corner from 10 yards and even Gray on the line couldn't stop it.

Watch the footage again. If you really think Oxley knew what he was doing when putting himself in that position, then fair enough.

I haven't criticised the boy once on here. But, I can't rationalise this one.

hibbysam
06-03-2016, 08:23 PM
Watch the footage again. If you really think Oxley knew what he was doing when putting himself in that position, then fair enough.

I haven't criticised the boy once on here. But, I can't rationalise this one.

I was there, and have watched it back, he starts at his near post when the ball comes across, and works his way around as the lad takes his touch, his positioning is fine, the boy has put it in the one place that would result in a goal, from where the ball comes from, why would Oxley be anhwhere other than where he was would be beyond me. Guy ten yards out with a free strike on goal and we want our keeper to be on his line, and he would've got pelters for being on his line. Whether or not he meant to be there is besides the point, he was there and he was correct to be there, as gray was right to be on the line. Oxley was solid today, dealt with a couple of crosses and was out sharp to a lot of high balls over the top.

my left peg
06-03-2016, 08:49 PM
Im afraid lewis stevenson had a really poor game this afternoon....he was at fault for the goal....he got into good positions when playing as left back...then wing back when we went to a three,but his final ball was awfull...we need to address this over the summer...no matter that lewis has been a fantastic pro for ten years.

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
06-03-2016, 09:04 PM
Nobody was to blame-it was a good goal-forget it.

To be honest Thomson never tracked his man, he got sucked over to the ball in the corner.

keep the faith
06-03-2016, 10:11 PM
To be honest Thomson never tracked his man, he got sucked over to the ball in the corner.

So you said on the Thomson thread too.

Your not a fan of KT are you?

skipster7
06-03-2016, 10:27 PM
Dont really think their CF should thommo's man tbh. He seemed to pass him over to one of our centre backs who should be marking him. It was a well worked goal like ours so nothing to be gained from disecting it.

Hermit Crab
06-03-2016, 10:33 PM
Dont really think their CF should thommo's man tbh. He seemed to pass him over to one of our centre backs who should be marking him. It was a well worked goal like ours so nothing to be gained from disecting it.

Fair enough.

Hermit Crab
06-03-2016, 10:33 PM
Devine and Mbuyi-Mutombo booked vs Motherwell

Tansey was booked in the first match vs Stirling Albion

Williams, Draper, Vigurs and Roberts all booked in the replay vs Stirling Albion.

Tansey ,Polworth and Warren were booked today.

Are all the others treading a fine line of missing the semi if booked again or do the bookings reset at semi final stage??

Tansey definitely out of the replay.

Bobo
06-03-2016, 10:55 PM

They had two shots on target, the first of which went in. Unfortunately that's happened far too frequently in games that we've dominated and will continue to cost us until it's addressed.

Sir David Gray
06-03-2016, 11:13 PM
Biggest con is the replay.

We need this extra game like a hole in the head.

Andy74
06-03-2016, 11:48 PM
One big pro is I've got my enthusiasm back. That has been waning the last couple of weeks. It's a good thing before the final.

GreenCastle
07-03-2016, 12:02 AM
Devine and Mbuyi-Mutombo booked vs Motherwell

Tansey was booked in the first match vs Stirling Albion

Williams, Draper, Vigurs and Roberts all booked in the replay vs Stirling Albion.

Tansey ,Polworth and Warren were booked today.

Are all the others treading a fine line of missing the semi if booked again or do the bookings reset at semi final stage??

Tansey definitely out of the replay.

Is it 2 yellows and you miss a game in cup?

Oxley got a yellow against the yams.

Anyone else close to missing a possible semi final ?

Borderhibbie76
07-03-2016, 01:27 AM
ludicrous to blame Ox for that goal.....that is all

JOD
07-03-2016, 01:34 AM
So you said on the Thomson thread too.

Your not a fan of KT are you?

Reason Is Hermit is a Jambo !!!

Vault Boy
07-03-2016, 01:42 AM
One big pro is I've got my enthusiasm back. That has been waning the last couple of weeks. It's a good thing before the final.

I know what you mean. I'd been really looking forward to the final, but have felt very anxious given the nature of our recent poor run of form. The performance yesterday has really reinvigorated me. It wasn't perfect, but it was much improved, especially considering the notable absentees in the side. Onwards and upwards from here.

Potty 86's mate
07-03-2016, 07:55 AM

Pros

Cons
Stubbs lack of a plan b.

although the McGeoch change was enforced, I agree that Stubbs has a plan A and that is all. If we go up, he will need to learn how to grind these types of games out (or finish teams off)

Hermit Crab
07-03-2016, 09:58 AM
Is it 2 yellows and you miss a game in cup?

Oxley got a yellow against the yams.

Anyone else close to missing a possible semi final ?

stokes and mcgregor on yellows in the Scottish.

Hermit Crab
07-03-2016, 10:08 AM
Reason Is Hermit is a Jambo !!!

You posted this at 01:34 then called me a jambo again at 03:00. Been drinking have we? Not that I need to justify to you but you'll find many on here that will rubbish your claims......