PDA

View Full Version : Outstanding effort

skipster7
06-03-2016, 03:57 PM
Thought we were fantastic today and gutted we lost a goal during a wee dip. Every single player worked their socks off.
Front 2 looked a proper partnership and a special mention for Kevin Thomson who stood up to far bigger opponents and never lost a challenge.
McGinn and Henderson seemed to tire after 75 mins but with the amount of running they'd done it was understandable. Great effort 😊

Pete
06-03-2016, 03:58 PM
Nothing to fear in the replay.

Bostonhibby
06-03-2016, 04:00 PM
Thought we were fantastic today and gutted we lost a goal during a wee dip. Every single player worked their socks off.
Front 2 looked a proper partnership and a special mention for Kevin Thomson who stood up to far bigger opponents and never lost a challenge.
McGinn and Henderson seemed to tire after 75 mins but with the amount of running they'd done it was understandable. Great effort 

Yep, good performances all round, a lot of tired looking legs towards the end, we really should have been out of sight against a very ordinary looking physical inverness team. We can still win this. I thought Stokes and Keatings put in a great shift.

spudhib
06-03-2016, 04:00 PM
Solid display but not for the first time took our foot of the gas after going in front,midfielders looked ****ged last twenty.

Vault Boy
06-03-2016, 04:03 PM
Think the break is well deserved and needed.

Roxyhibee
06-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Agree we were much the better team and have got a fair bit of our mojo back after a horrendous fortnight.. Well done Hibees, but Stubbs should have changed it long before the equaliser though. A replay is the last thing we need but I think we can win it.

SkintHibby
06-03-2016, 04:05 PM
Nothing to fear in the replay.

Doubt Hibs will get past this big physical team on their own patch but fitbas a funny old game!

Pretty Boy
06-03-2016, 04:05 PM
Great effort but Stubbs unwillingness to make a change in thr 2nd half when we were back under pressure is worthy of discussion imo.

Yogi made positive changes to try and influence the game. Stubbs seemed to think things would sort themselves out

nickwhibs
06-03-2016, 04:06 PM
McGinn and Henderson seemed to tire after 75 mins but with the amount of running they'd done it was understandable. Great effort 😊

I agree. Superb effort, and certainly deserved to win, despite running out of steam a bit towards the end. Thankfully we finally have a week off to get some much needed rest time. Important that we got a good performance today after the last few weeks.

Carheenlea
06-03-2016, 04:08 PM
Play like that next week and the League Cup is ours.

rcarter1
06-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Great effort but Stubbs unwillingness to make a change in thr 2nd half when we were back under pressure is worthy of discussion imo.

Yogi made positive changes to try and influence the game. Stubbs seemed to think things would sort themselves out

Its a trick he could look into. Ive seen many a Hibs comeback stymied by an opposition manager taking the sting out of the game with some substitutions.

skipster7
06-03-2016, 04:11 PM
I agree. Superb effort, and certainly deserved to win, despite running out of steam a bit towards the end. Thankfully we finally have a week off to get some much needed rest time. Important that we got a good performance today after the last few weeks.

Think he would have changed Mcginn or Hendo but not sure we had another midfielder on the bench.

DaveF
06-03-2016, 04:11 PM

It certainly is worth talking about. Stubbs appears to be very stubborn when trying to change a games momentum.

BTW, agree with the OP. Magnificent effort today. Where has that been lately?

Blocks Biloxi
06-03-2016, 04:12 PM

Agree - the first 10 minutes of the second half we looked hungry and dangerous. We scored and then stood still, handing them all the momentum.

With the midfield out on their feet, a change after an hour (Boyle, Carmichael etc.) would have given us an out ball to stretch them and give us a rest.

shamo9
06-03-2016, 04:12 PM
Doubt Hibs will get past this big physical team on their own patch but fitbas a funny old game!

We'll have Bartley and Fyvie back for the replay. That will be a game changer in the middle of the pack IMO. Cummings will be available too although Stokes and Keatings looked a decent partnership

Pretty Boy
06-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Think he would have changed Mcginn or Hendo but not sure we had another midfielder on the bench.

For me the biggest issue was nothing was sticking up top which was putting the midfield under all sorts of pressure. There was a solution to that on the bench but he persisted with a clearly knackered Stokes and Keatings who had fallen out the game a bit and was being bullied by 2 big CBs.

Bostonhibby
06-03-2016, 04:18 PM
For me the biggest issue was nothing was sticking up top which was putting the midfield under all sorts of pressure. There was a solution to that on the bench but he persisted with a clearly knackered Stokes and Keatings who had fallen out the game a bit and was being bullied by 2 big CBs.

:agree: A wee bit worried about the tactics, even my missus said why not stick Boyle or Farid on to hold the ball up?

Either way we are back playing well, a performance like that could well win us the League cup.

KWJ
06-03-2016, 04:27 PM
Mind when John Hughes had no plan B? :wink:

Benny Brazil
06-03-2016, 04:28 PM
We seemed to stop playing once we went in front.
Much improved performance and I think the 3-5-2 actually suited us better. Just wish Lewis had actually put the ball out of play in the move that led to their goal - seemed like he was trying to see if it went out of play.

Thecat23
06-03-2016, 04:42 PM

I actually agree with you on this. I thought when they made the change we should have as well as we then went to deep and invited them onto us. That's one thing that does frustrate me about him.

Northernhibee
06-03-2016, 04:55 PM
This board is outstandingly negative considering how tired the team were and we remain undefeated against top flight opposition.

SeanWilson
06-03-2016, 05:04 PM
I'd give them next to nothing to do this week. But of fitness and golf in the sun or something - they looked absolutely dead on their feet last 20.

Take nothing away from the lads, top performance and should have won comfortably. Hey ho.... Another game! 👍

rotherhamrob
06-03-2016, 05:21 PM
I'd give them next to nothing to do this week. But of fitness and golf in the sun or something - they looked absolutely dead on their feet last 20.

Take nothing away from the lads, top performance and should have won comfortably. Hey ho.... Another game! 👍
I agree, a bit of light exercise, tactics, formations etc, certain players really need the rest.

Pretty Boy
06-03-2016, 05:24 PM
This board is outstandingly negative considering how tired the team were and we remain undefeated against top flight opposition.

I don't think negative is fair.

Plenty people praising elements of the performance. I think frustrated would be a fairer assessment. I understand that as at least 1 or 2 of the tired players could and should have been changed earlier when it became obvious it was an issue.

I have no issue with the fantastic effort and spirit shown by the team today nor the performance for most of the game but the manager has left me frustrated today.

LithgaeHibby
06-03-2016, 05:41 PM
I think we got a bit of pride back today and on live TV too. Great effort from the boys and unlucky not to be going through. But an excellent performance and we should take a lot of confidence from that going into the league cup final. Puts that horrendous run to an end and hopefully the goal for Keatings will give him some confidence as well. Win the cup next Sunday and the players will be sky high. That could kick-start our league run-in and we can then focus on giving Houston's mob a good skelping, followed by sending Hamilton down in the play-offs
:flag:

Arch Stanton
06-03-2016, 05:56 PM
Since he often makes his first sub at 60 mins I don't think AS can be accused of being too reticent in substituting.

I'd hazard a guess that needing to sub fatigued players was as big a concern as making tactical substitutions up front. And he already had subbed D McG so there wasn't a lot to play with.

inglisavhibs
06-03-2016, 06:00 PM
McGinn and Henderson seemed to tire after 75 mins but with the amount of running they'd done it was understandable. Great effort 
Yes a really good cup tie and we couldn't have given any more.

mutley
06-03-2016, 06:02 PM
From me, same as already said, great effort and the guys were shattered last 20 mins, consider the main players we had out today and still unbeaten by top tier teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BS44
06-03-2016, 06:10 PM

We got past another big physical mob in the last round. Though Inverness are a much better passing side than those mugs from Gorgie.

Steve20
06-03-2016, 06:20 PM
We are Hibs, they are Inverness. Nothing is outstanding about a home draw.

We WILL WIN the replay and we will also win the cup final.

NAE NOOKIE
06-03-2016, 06:36 PM
It was a super effort from the players, I don't think they could have given any more than they did. ICT if not dirty were certainly over physical on too many occasions and I thought we proved we cant be bullied by standing up to it really well without much help from the ref.

The players looked wiped by the end, lets hope a week without a game will give them enough time to recharge coz its a big pitch at Hampden.

I feel more positive about the LC final after watching that today :agree:

hibsboy69
06-03-2016, 06:39 PM
Agree, great effort today.

Nothing to fear from ICT - big bullies who play even less football than Farts.

GGTTH 💚

ACLeith
06-03-2016, 06:43 PM
Agree, great effort today.

Nothing to fear from ICT - big bullies who play even less football than Farts.

GGTTH 💚

Yup they are both big physical teams but ICT are miles better in skill e.g. some of their one touch passing to get out of defence. Thought they were the best Premiership team we've played this season

Onion
06-03-2016, 06:48 PM
It was a super effort from the players, I don't think they could have given any more than they did. ICT if not dirty were certainly over physical on too many occasions and I thought we proved we cant be bullied by standing up to it really well without much help from the ref.

The players looked wiped by the end, lets hope a week without a game will give them enough time to recharge coz its a big pitch at Hampden.

I feel more positive about the LC final after watching that today :agree:

Definitely came away from ER today more positive about next Sunday.

ICT were very physical, something we can also expect from RC.
ICT were ruthless in converting their only real chance of the game. Should be assumed that RC will do the same.
Energy and effort from Hibs was first class.
Decent performances from JM, Hendo, Keatings, Stokes, Thompson, Fontaine, Gray
After shakey first 10 mins, Hibs took game to ICT without fear.
Hibs are still creating chances - it's when we don't we need to worry.
We scored and stopped the rot of 3 bad defeats.

Overall, as good a prep for a Cup Final as I had wished for (bar the win).

IMO if Hibs win the LC next week, we'll be flying into the league and SC matches.

hibsbollah
06-03-2016, 06:49 PM
We've played very well against Queens and Inverness last two games and been very unlucky not to win both games comfortably. I'm feeling very positive.

Hi Heid Yin
07-03-2016, 12:07 AM
A good solid performance by Hibs, but again our inability to convert chances created into goals let us down.

Jones28
07-03-2016, 12:10 AM

I was watching on the TV and could see we were desperate for another out-ball. It was crying out for Stokes to come off and someone else with either a lot of pace or a hold up man. How Alagui didn't come for him was bizarre.

Too much trust perhaps from the manager, or is there no such thing?

monktonharp
07-03-2016, 12:55 AM
I am not disappointed about my team's performance, or any of our players tonight. I AM a bit disappointed at some of the comments from my fellow fans however. Quite a few have tried to tell our management team how they should have altered the team at various stages. get real, they did what was required under the situation in front of them and they put out a team that deserved to win. the team were kicked off the park, at various stages and we had a ref that let the opposition away with it. no problem with my team's performance tonight, and for some that were previously saying that THOMPSON WAS DONE, he had a great game along with a good performance from Stokes. last week, some folk were deriding them in particular

monktonharp
07-03-2016, 01:16 AM
I was watching on the TV and could see we were desperate for another out-ball. It was crying out for Stokes to come off and someone else with either a lot of pace or a hold up man. How Alagui didn't come for him was bizarre.

Too much trust perhaps from the manager, or is there no such thing?
I was watching Stokes, and kept saying to myself keep him on, and please don't bring on the big guy that will hoofit o'er the bar or miss any ball that is laid in his path!dont see anything in the big guy other than a bustler. sorry do disagree.

Jones28
07-03-2016, 01:21 AM
[QUOTE=monktonharp;4609743]I was watching Stokes, and kept saying to myself keep him on, and please don't bring on the big guy that will hoofit o'er the bar or miss any ball that is laid in his path!dont see anything in the big guy other than a bustler. sorry do disagree.[/QUOTE

So you'd rather have a guy who was obviously tired and continually giving the ball away on the pitch than fresh legs and a guy who could hold the ball up better?

monktonharp
07-03-2016, 01:43 AM
[QUOTE=monktonharp;4609743]I was watching Stokes, and kept saying to myself keep him on, and please don't bring on the big guy that will hoofit o'er the bar or miss any ball that is laid in his path!dont see anything in the big guy other than a bustler. sorry do disagree.[/QUOTE

So you'd rather have a guy who was obviously tired and continually giving the ball away on the pitch than fresh legs and a guy who could hold the ball up better?so which guy, are you obviously referring to? don't tell me that farid, being so fresh would liven up things because he is just not the kind of player that can do that. he is just not up to the task