PDA

View Full Version : Craig Levein will be spitting feathers....

Skol
05-03-2016, 08:12 AM
......if he has read the interview with John Brown in todays Scotsman.

An extract:

Hearts were hit by a virus, forcing Craig Levein to call off completely, but Brown was unimpressed by that excuse. “I’d have said to Craig that day: ‘You’ve never won a medal in your life and you only need a draw to become champions – if you’re ****tin’ your pants, big deal.’ I mean, Sandy Jardine played and how old was he at the time, 37? But I always remember something big Dave McPherson said to me about Craig: that he never thought anything was his fault.”

I suddenly like Brown more than I used to :-)

JimBHibees
05-03-2016, 08:15 AM
......if he has read the interview with John Brown in todays Scotsman.

An extract:

Hearts were hit by a virus, forcing Craig Levein to call off completely, but Brown was unimpressed by that excuse. “I’d have said to Craig that day: ‘You’ve never won a medal in your life and you only need a draw to become champions – if you’re ****tin’ your pants, big deal.’ I mean, Sandy Jardine played and how old was he at the time, 37? But I always remember something big Dave McPherson said to me about Craig: that he never thought anything was his fault.”

I suddenly like Brown more than I used to :-)

Well done Bomber. :greengrin

The Harp
05-03-2016, 08:28 AM
Craig Levein will be spitting feathers ... I suppose that's what can happen when you get too up close and personal wi' a Budgie

hibsbollah
05-03-2016, 08:29 AM
He shat it.

Aldo
05-03-2016, 08:46 AM
Bottle merchant big time!

Get it roond you Potter you yam roaster fud

Col2
05-03-2016, 08:56 AM
No medals Levein.

Would rather shut up shop than go for it.

Let there be no doubt, it was his tactics to sit back at 2-0 in Scottish cup game at Tynecastle and it was his tactics to focus on trying to contain Hibs in first half of replay.

How did that work out for you Craigy? Position of power without any responsibility (Robbie is fall guy).

A coward and a loser.

iwasthere1972
05-03-2016, 09:01 AM
All that money that he raked in for his testimonial at a packed the rafters Tynecastle would have gone some way to ease the pain.

Big team my erse.

Giro Playboy
05-03-2016, 09:02 AM
I didn't realise Brown played for Dundee that glorious day in 86.
Christ he is even into The Stranglers and Stiff Little Fingers. For the first time ever I'm starting to like a rabid hun

ALF TUPPER
05-03-2016, 09:20 AM
Christ he is even into The Stranglers and Stiff Little Fingers. For the first time ever I'm starting to like a rabid hun

👍🏻 me too 😂

southsider
05-03-2016, 09:35 AM

Aye and me ! We were playing Dundee Utd at ER and losing when the old North Enclosure went mental. Kano came running over "whats happened ?" I shouted "Dundee are 1 up." When the 2nd goal went in a few minutes later it was bedlam.

bigwheel
05-03-2016, 09:37 AM
Aye and me ! We were playing Dundee Utd at ER and losing when the old North Enclosure went mental. Kano came running over "whats happened ?" I shouted "Dundee are 1 up." When the 2nd goal went in a few minutes later it was bedlam.

it was....or as bedlam as about 4000 people could be...tiny crowd at ER that day...doom and gloom until towards end of the match - if I recall correctly United had just scored when news of a goal came through - quizzical looks when the Hibs fans were leaping about...

JimBHibees
05-03-2016, 10:06 AM
No medals Levein.

Let there be no doubt, it was his tactics to sit back at 2-0 in Scottish cup game at Tynecastle and it was his tactics to focus on trying to contain Hibs in first half of replay.

How did that work out for you Craigy? Position of power without any responsibility (Robbie is fall guy).

A coward and a loser.

No Robbie says you beat Hibs by switching play.

Winston Ingram
05-03-2016, 10:38 AM
No medals Levein.

A coward and a loser.

The 4-6-0 in Prague against a poor Czech side was the pinnacle of his managerial career

jacomo
05-03-2016, 10:47 AM
The 4-6-0 in Prague against a poor Czech side was the pinnacle of his managerial career

...and Scotland's nadir.

Fergos
05-03-2016, 10:48 AM
Being called a crap bag in the national press....

This my fellow Hibbies is comedy gold, couldn't happen to a nicer, or more defensive man...

GGTTH

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2016, 10:51 AM

Cowardly football at its best :agree:

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2016, 10:55 AM
it was....or as bedlam as about 4000 people could be...tiny crowd at ER that day...doom and gloom until towards end of the match - if I recall correctly United had just scored when news of a goal came through - quizzical looks when the Hibs fans were leaping about...

The only time I've ever walked away still happy after watching Hibs lose at ER :greengrin

The Green Goblin
05-03-2016, 10:57 AM
Scotland "manager".... McPherson was right. He never thought that total embarrassment he presided over was his fault. Total self delusion

Giro Playboy
05-03-2016, 11:01 AM
Aye and me ! We were playing Dundee Utd at ER and losing when the old North Enclosure went mental. Kano came running over "whats happened ?" I shouted "Dundee are 1 up." When the 2nd goal went in a few minutes later it was bedlam. In these days folk used to take transistor radios to the game. I mind a boy beside me shouting Kidds scored and the dejection of everyone standing around him... Then the cry went up ''wait the now its no Walter its some boy called Albert''.......hence total mayhem

Bostonhibby
05-03-2016, 11:07 AM
Scotland "manager".... McPherson was right. He never thought that total embarrassment he presided over was his fault. Total self delusion

Yep, but there was no hiding from who was responsible for the "style" of play adopted by Scotland in that era, follows potter around like a bad smell but he's careful now to be just far enough away from actual responsibility.

I remember going to Belgium in 2012 to see them beat us and our football was eye watering - the Levein out singing was great though.

Eyrie
05-03-2016, 11:08 AM
Jambottle merchant big time!

Get it roond you Potter you yam roaster fud

Fixed that for you.

Beefster
05-03-2016, 11:44 AM
He's still at it. This whole DoF / Stig as head coach thing is just so that he doesn't takes the fall for any pish results.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-03-2016, 11:49 AM
And Graeme Hogg spits teeth. Thoroughly obnoxious.

lord bunberry
05-03-2016, 11:50 AM
His own team mates knew he bottled it and some said so at the time.

InchHibby
05-03-2016, 12:04 PM
I couldn't make the game that day due to work, but arrived home to hear the result, I ran out of the house into the garden jumpin about like a loony. My neighbours, knowing I was a hibby, were wondering what was going on.😄😄

Roxyhibee
05-03-2016, 12:34 PM
Just a few weeks after that glorious day at Dens in '86, I arrived in Ibiza with my wife, sister and future brother in law and who should we notice beside us at the pool on our first day there but John Brown and his missus.

We got talking to him straight away (good guy and once he got to know us, was full of great stories about other players, etc) and he said the Dundee team wanted to win the game but really weren't wanting Celtic to win the league - but at half time, someone came in to their changing room and said that Rangers were getting beat (which they discovered later wasn't true) which apparently gave Dundee an outside chance to qualify for Europe, or something..

Anyway, when they came out for the second half, he said you could feel the Hearts players absolutely shaking and saying to Brown and his team mates ''have you heard the score from Love Street.?" - almost pleading with them not to score.. And the rest as they say, is wonderful history...

He got up early every morning for a long run, hardly touched alcohol the whole fortnight, whilst we got p!ssed every night - and we even threw him fully clothed in the pool one night.!! Took it brilliantly as well.

He watched the England v Argentina (Mexico 86) game with us in a pub absolutely packed with mental English fans -- and he cheered alone, sober, at the telly at both Maradonna goals, punching the air and roaring loudly at the final whistle whilst we shamefully shat ourselves at the table, pretending not to know him as those scores of English fans who filled the pub all glared at him with serious assault in their eyes..!!! Unbelievably, not one of them approached him or said anything back to him - and even though he was quite slight of build at that time, I think they knew by looking at him they'd come off second best..

Much much much tougher than fanny Levein, a person I detest... Well said John, we know he's a big fake fud fraud..

Radium
05-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Craig Levein will be spitting feathers ... I suppose that's what can happen when you get too up close and personal wi' a Budgie

They were the Chunky Chicks champions after all...

Mr White
05-03-2016, 12:48 PM
Just a few weeks after that glorious day at Dens in '86, I arrived in Ibiza with my wife, sister and future brother in law and who should we notice beside us at the pool on our first day there but John Brown and his missus.

We got talking to him straight away (good guy and once he got to know us, was full of great stories about other players, etc) and he said the Dundee team wanted to win the game but really weren't wanting Celtic to win the league - but at half time, someone came in to their changing room and said that Rangers were getting beat (which they discovered later wasn't true) which apparently gave Dundee an outside chance to qualify for Europe, or something..

Anyway, when they came out for the second half, he said you could feel the Hearts players absolutely shaking and saying to Brown and his team mates ''have you heard the score from Love Street.?" - almost pleading with them not to score.. And the rest as they say, is wonderful history...

He got up early every morning for a long run, hardly touched alcohol the whole fortnight, whilst we got p!ssed every night - and we even threw him fully clothed in the pool one night.!! Took it brilliantly as well.

He watched the England v Argentina (Mexico 86) game with us in a pub absolutely packed with mental English fans -- and he cheered alone, sober, at the telly at both Maradonna goals, punching the air and roaring loudly at the final whistle whilst we shamefully shat ourselves at the table, pretending not to know him as those scores of English fans who filled the pub all glared at him with serious assault in their eyes..!!! Unbelievably, not one of them approached him or said anything back to him - and even though he was quite slight of build at that time, I think they knew by looking at him they'd come off second best..

Much much much tougher than fanny Levein, a person I detest... Well said John, we know he's a big fake fud fraud..

I've completely changed my opinion on the man based on this thread and this post especially :greengrin

superfurryhibby
05-03-2016, 01:14 PM
In these days folk used to take transistor radios to the game. I mind a boy beside me shouting Kidds scored and the dejection of everyone standing around him... Then the cry went up ''wait the now its no Walter its some boy called Albert''.......hence total mayhem

If anyone wants to check out Sir Albert's subsequent sonic influence, check out my pals very good album "Waking up in Eden" by the Suns of Albert.

If wasn't an old fandango I'd post the link. Suffice to say that it is unique. Not many footballers have inspired such dreamy evocative music. Takes me right back to that day on the old East Terrace.

Keith_M
05-03-2016, 02:01 PM

It really was bedlam, as hard as hard to believe as that might be. The strange sight and sound of the East Terrace chanting 'Dundee, Dundee' then 'Celtic, Celtic' must have confused the hell out of the teams, playing out a drab end of season match.

Oh and MFC-SS never turned up that day, so Hearts weren't the only bottle merchants :wink:

AlbertK86
05-03-2016, 02:14 PM
Being called a crap bag in the national press.... This my fellow Hibbies is comedy gold, couldn't happen to a nicer, or more defensive man... GGTTH

100% spot on ..... Effin fantastic

CorrieHibs
05-03-2016, 03:07 PM
Has anyone seen the plane flying over tynie? No style, no bottle, Neilson out

NadeAteMyLunch!
05-03-2016, 03:13 PM

Great memories [emoji106]

Ps. Jambottlers

semaj64
05-03-2016, 03:17 PM

yes buzzin about the last wee while. Not sure why

Joe6-2
05-03-2016, 03:19 PM
All that money that he raked in for his testimonial at a packed the rafters Tynecastle would have gone some way to ease the pain.

Big team my erse.

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Smartie
05-03-2016, 03:19 PM

Levein's gone out the back to hoof balls up at it and bring it down.

Strange that people are saying positive things about John Brown on this thread. I was listening to that Thursday night radio programme a few weeks ago when i was on my way to play football. Brown was on it with Stuart McCall, talking about their years at Rangers. I have never warmed to Brown either as a player or at any point since then as a manager or pundit.

I have to say that I really enjoyed the programme and thought he came across well. He was a real football man who spoke with passion about what it meant to play for and be successful with a club that he loved and it was a really good listen.

I didn't like myself for enjoying it because I'd convinced myself that I hated Brown. I quite like him now.

MurrayfieldHibs
05-03-2016, 03:32 PM
It has interrupted me putting. New security light up!!

I think it says "No style no clout, Nielson out"

iwasthere1972
05-03-2016, 03:41 PM

It was a little Fokker.

grunt
05-03-2016, 03:43 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ccyw3WRWEAUloQf.jpg

Here

iwasthere1972
05-03-2016, 03:51 PM

Here

Apparently a group of Yams at a cost of £900. :greengrin

Obviously taken that defeat by the wee team better than I thought.

Joe6-2
05-03-2016, 03:51 PM
It was a little Fokker.

There's a few of them in there!!

Baader
05-03-2016, 04:02 PM
Never understood why the Gorgie mob are so taken in by Levein. Eye-bleeding football and in over 30 years as a player and manager the man has not won a bean in football.

Not a bean. Still manages to get away with it as theyre all blaming Leslie Neilson.

Eaststand
05-03-2016, 04:19 PM
Never understood why the Gorgie mob are so taken in by Levein. Eye-bleeding football and in over 30 years as a player and manager the man has not won a bean in football.

Not a bean. Still manages to get away with it as theyre all blaming Leslie Neilson.

That sure!y can't be correct, was Levein not part of the famous Hertz team that won the double in 86

And its not Leslie Neilson, its Bridgette mate :aok:

GGTTH

MurrayfieldHibs
05-03-2016, 04:23 PM

Here
Bottle has nothing to do with it Levein makes all the decisions anyway. Neilson is just the fall guy.

and anyway, my version rhymes :wink:

lord bunberry
05-03-2016, 06:28 PM

It's what they're used to. In 30 years of watching football, hearts have never had a team that plays decent football.

McIntosh
05-03-2016, 07:43 PM
This still warms the cockles: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UCjEsN4E85s

emerald green
05-03-2016, 07:53 PM

Many Yams are still mentally scarred from that day. :tee hee:

Glory Lurker
05-03-2016, 07:55 PM

A classic example of Archie getting his words mucked up, too, calling the outcome "utterly cruel". He did provide a lot of entertainment behind the mic!

mjhibby
05-03-2016, 08:01 PM

I think sandy Clark has hinted that the team wasn't chuffed at harry Potters attitude. The most obnoxious person in football and that's saying something given how many there are. Almost feel sorry for wee Robbie ad it's obvious whose pulling ng the strings.

lord bunberry
05-03-2016, 08:11 PM
I was at Musselburgh races many years ago and potter bought a horse out of a selling race. I'm not sure if he was there in person or not, but the news that he had bought the horse was circulated around the punters. It transpired that he had bought the horse to breed from it, unfortunately for the potter fellow, the horse had had its balls cut off 5 years before the specky twat put his money down.

Pretty Boy
05-03-2016, 08:16 PM
I was at Musselburgh races many years ago and potter bought a horse out of a selling race. I'm not sure if he was there in person or not, but the news that he had bought the horse was circulated around the punters. It transpired that he had bought the horse to breed from it, unfortunately for the potter fellow, the horse had had its balls cut off 5 years before the specky twat put his money down.

If that's true that is brilliant.

What kind of moron buys a horse to breed from it without researching it thoroughly? Even a cursory glance at a racecard would have the tell tale g for gelding on it!

lord bunberry
05-03-2016, 08:20 PM
If that's true that is brilliant.

What kind of moron buys a horse to breed from it without researching it thoroughly? Even a cursory glance at a racecard would have the tell tale g for gelding on it!
It's definitely true, the horse was to be trained with Peter Monteith out at Rosewell, then retired to stud. The fact that it was a national hunt horse should've had the alarm bells ringing, how many entires race over the jumps?

Pretty Boy
05-03-2016, 08:36 PM
It's definitely true, the horse was to be trained with Peter Monteith out at Rosewell, then retired to stud. The fact that it was a national hunt horse should've had the alarm bells ringing, how many entires race over the jumps?

Zero or thereabouts.

What a clown.

Hibernia&Alba
05-03-2016, 08:36 PM
As loath as I am to defend Levein, Brown is a horrible, bigoted man, adored by the Huns for that very reason. How does he know Levein was faking illness? Remember his crazy ramblings about buying Oldco?

Bostonhibby
05-03-2016, 08:51 PM
I was at Musselburgh races many years ago and potter married a horse out of a selling race. I'm not sure if he was there in person or not, but the news that he had bought the horse was circulated around the punters. It transpired that he had bought the horse to breed with it, unfortunately for the potter fellow, the horse had had its balls cut off 5 years before the specky twat put his money down.

Fixed that for you[emoji6]

Apparently they are still in touch but it's purely platonic

theonlywayisup
05-03-2016, 09:06 PM

What a great story!

lord bunberry
05-03-2016, 09:19 PM

:faf::faf::faf:

Danderhall Hibs
05-03-2016, 09:44 PM
As loath as I am to defend Levein, Brown is a horrible, bigoted man, adored by the Huns for that very reason. How does he know Levein was faking illness? Remember his crazy ramblings about buying Oldco?

Any sportsman, never mind a professional, would let a cold get in the way if a chance like Levein had in the palm of his hands back in 86.

Only if you truly are a *****bag would you call off.

tamig
05-03-2016, 09:52 PM

A day never to be forgotten and some of the best highlights ever. Superb 😂

Steve-O
05-03-2016, 10:05 PM
Levein is possibly a psychopath. Grandiose, narcissistic...

iwasthere1972
05-03-2016, 10:29 PM

I don't think they'll be in touch furlong.

et_hibby
05-03-2016, 10:37 PM
I've completely changed my opinion on the man based on this thread and this post especially :greengrin

Great story indeed!!

Bostonhibby
05-03-2016, 10:44 PM
I don't think they'll be in touch furlong.

:agree: not now that its well established that potter is a bit of a horses erse:greengrin

matty_f
05-03-2016, 10:46 PM
Any sportsman, never mind a professional, would let a cold get in the way if a chance like Levein had in the palm of his hands back in 86.

Only if you truly are a *****bag would you call off.

Yep. Harry Bottler.

Keyser Sauzee
05-03-2016, 10:58 PM
Don't know the story of the game v Dundee and can't be ersed searching the internet for the info but, reading between the lines, I take it Potter didn't play in the game cause he was "sick"??

bawheid
06-03-2016, 12:02 AM
Don't know the story of the game v Dundee and can't be ersed searching the internet for the info but, reading between the lines, I take it Potter didn't play in the game cause he was "sick"??

He had a sniffle. Bowed out and let his team mates take them over the line.

stoneyburn hibs
06-03-2016, 12:20 AM

I'd love this to be backed up by a former player.

truehibernian
06-03-2016, 12:58 AM
I'd love this to be backed up by a former player.

Why ? They blew a double - doesn't need any verification, validation or confirmation - Hearts utterly bottled it in 1986 !

Gmack7
06-03-2016, 08:44 AM
Why ? They blew a double - doesn't need any verification, validation or confirmation - Hearts utterly bottled it in 1986 !

I thought it was an established FACT that st mirren lay down confirming there long standing allegiance with Celtic

The Green Goblin
06-03-2016, 08:59 AM

Not Potter's fault though. Potter knows all. :agree: Nothing is ever Potter's fault, remember?

Danderhall Hibs
06-03-2016, 11:13 AM
I thought it was an established FACT that st mirren lay down confirming there long standing allegiance with Celtic

Maybe they did. Just remember that all Hearts needed was a draw at Dundee though. Celtic could've won 40-0 and it wouldn't have mattered.

Personal responsibility.

Sammy7nil
06-03-2016, 11:16 AM

:agree:

3pm
06-03-2016, 11:45 AM
Maybe they did. Just remember that all Hearts needed was a draw at Dundee though. Celtic could've won 40-0 and it wouldn't have mattered.

Personal responsibility.

At least they got revenge on the buddies in the 2013 League Cup final. :agree:

Pretty Boy
06-03-2016, 11:55 AM

Personal responsibility.

Absolutely spot on and a point often missed by Hearts fans. If they had done their job then St Mirren could have run out in Celtic scarves and started taking pot shots at their own keeper and it wouldn't have mattered.

Skol
06-03-2016, 03:15 PM
Did CL make a come back for the cup final they famously won a week later to at least save something from the record breaking season, or was he still locked shaking in a darkened room.

IWasThere2016
06-03-2016, 07:26 PM

I like Bomber. He did an after dinner speech for me a few years back and was a gent.

He brought signed DFC top, ball and sold two Boardroom passes as his guest when he was Dees boss. We made more of these than his fee.

He was passionate about the game, his team and what was going on at I-Pox, told great stories and couldn't do enough for us.

He is teetotal has been for a number of years now, and certainly looks after himself.

Top guy :agree:

Waxy
06-03-2016, 08:13 PM
At least they got revenge on the buddies in the 2013 League Cup final. :agree:
Na they couldn't have. They had already died as a club after the 1996 Scottish cup final.