PDA

View Full Version : The new scapegoat

cameronw-hfc
04-03-2016, 09:30 PM
I personally feel the critique of Oxley in recent weeks is incredibly harsh.

He's 25, young for a keeper. He's came on leaps and bounds since last season, and will be inconsistent due to his age and lack of experience.

His distribution is brilliant. It gets overlooked when we're winning, as he takes the sting out of things by slowing things down, sometimes rightly so, sometimes he overlooks good options to kill time, frustrating but it's not the worst trait to have.

Shot stopping is usually good. Not brilliant, but good. Makes some outstanding saves, some very steady saves that anyone without experience of playing in goals can be heard shouting 'HOLD THAT' or 'PUSH IT AWAY' too at some games, not taking into account the bounce of the ball and players it's gone through to get to him, meaning the saves can be a lot more difficult than most people think, although he does push it out into the middle sometimes when he should be catching or turning it round the post.

Crosses. Tin hat on here, but I actually feel he's okay with cross balls. He can make mistakes, yes, and will carry on doing so as he progresses, but lets be honest, Ben Williams was suicidal at cross balls, albeit a fantastic shot stopper.

Personally I feel Ben and Ox are about the same level, however Ox is young, lack of experience and has all the core attributes to be a fantastic keeper, he just needs to become more consistent, which he is working at and besides the last 2/3 weeks, achieved to do so.

If it wasn't for the fact it's the business end of the season I do think he should have been dropped for a game, even if its just so he realizes he can not get complacent.

Thecat23
04-03-2016, 09:44 PM

He's 25, young for a keeper. He's came on leaps and bounds since last season, and will be inconsistent due to his age and lack of experience.

His distribution is brilliant. It gets overlooked when we're winning, as he takes the sting out of things by slowing things down, sometimes rightly so, sometimes he overlooks good options to kill time, frustrating but it's not the worst trait to have.

Shot stopping is usually good. Not brilliant, but good. Makes some outstanding saves, some very steady saves that anyone without experience of playing in goals can be heard shouting 'HOLD THAT' or 'PUSH IT AWAY' too at some games, not taking into account the bounce of the ball and players it's gone through to get to him, meaning the saves can be a lot more difficult than most people think, although he does push it out into the middle sometimes when he should be catching or turning it round the post.

Crosses. Tin hat on here, but I actually feel he's okay with cross balls. He can make mistakes, yes, and will carry on doing so as he progresses, but lets be honest, Ben Williams was suicidal at cross balls, albeit a fantastic shot stopper.

Personally I feel Ben and Ox are about the same level, however Ox is young, lack of experience and has all the core attributes to be a fantastic keeper, he just needs to become more consistent, which he is working at and besides the last 2/3 weeks, achieved to do so.

If it wasn't for the fact it's the business end of the season I do think he should have been dropped for a game, even if its just so he realizes he can not get complacent.

Prob should have just chucked this in with the Williams or Ox threads that are on the boards instead of another one that will end up with folk saying he's crap!

Ryan69
04-03-2016, 09:47 PM
Not much has changed from last season really,first shot at him....generally goes into the net!

Far too prone on flapping for my liking sorry.

He's been very fortunate to of had a solid defence for most part of this season....Id love to see how he would do at a team that is on the back foot most of the game.

This stage in his career....a descent back up keeper perhaps.

cameronw-hfc
04-03-2016, 09:47 PM
Prob should have just chucked this in with the Williams or Ox threads that are on the boards instead of another one that will end up with folk saying he's crap!

Probably, come to think of it now! Worth a try to be positive though ae :rolleyes:

Hibbyhaz
04-03-2016, 09:49 PM
Not much has changed from last season really,first shot at him....generally goes into the net!

Far too prone on flapping for my liking sorry.

He's been very fortunate to of had a solid defence for most part of this season....Id love to see how he would do at a team that is on the back foot most of the game.
Exactly, just as Williams had. Makes far too many mistakes for someone who has so little shots at him

Captain Trips
04-03-2016, 09:50 PM
They are all just about to blame including Stubbs. Yes Oxley has made errors and if a goalie makes a mistake it usually ends up a goal, we have missed chances and taken the wrong options in forward areas that has led to us not scoring in games, this is as bad as any mistakes at the back.

We need to be more aggressive in final 3rd, I want to see midfielders getting on the end of things when balls break to edges of area. The strikers selected have to be clinical. A few hours of shooting at goal from edge and inside of box right up to 6yard line wouldn't do any harm at training.

Thecat23
04-03-2016, 09:53 PM
Probably, come to think of it now! Worth a try to be positive though ae :rolleyes:

As you can see, It wasn't long! 🙄

Captain Trips
04-03-2016, 09:57 PM
How good are the other keepers in this Division? Nothing special from what I have seen, so we probably have a leveller there. If Morton and Dumbarton can put 3 past us we should be putting at least that past there goalies as IMO we have the better outfield players.

The whole team is why we have chucked the title in.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-03-2016, 09:58 PM
He's awfully good say the Oxleymorons ;)

I don't know where folks get off in heaping pressure on our keepers - as if the opposition fans and media don't have enough of a go. In the main Oxley has been steady enough. With some dropsy moments. Petr Czech and Schmiecel had their "bad days at the office". Grobbelaar took a few bungs it would seem.

It's interesting that decent keepers from other teams come here and don't for one reason or another make it. The boy from Hamilton for example - perhaps we've been to spoilt on world class keepers in Leighton and Goram we've lost a bit of perspective on what to expect from a keeper in the post-Bosman era? Even Jimbo had his critics about kick outs and flapping at crosses. The psychologists would have a field day if they got into the minds of your average Hibee ;)

Winston Ingram
04-03-2016, 10:05 PM
I think he's improved massively.

I think the criticism this week has been so harsh because those with their vendetta's haven't had an opportunity for so long and it's just came flooding out

Tapes99
04-03-2016, 10:08 PM
I think enough has been said on the subject since the last game. Perhaps it would be wise to reevaluate the situation say, after the league cup final?

:hibees

Viva_Palmeiras
04-03-2016, 10:10 PM
He's awfully good say the Oxleymorons ;)

I don't know where folks get off in heaping pressure on our keepers - as if the opposition fans and media don't have enough of a go. In the main Oxley has been steady enough. With some dropsy moments. Petr Czech and Schmiecel had their "bad days at the office". Grobbelaar took a few bunts it would seem.

It's interesting that decent keepers from other teams come here and don't for one reason or another make it. The boy from Hamilton for example - perhaps we've been to spoilt on world class keepers in Leighton and Goram we've lost a bit of perspective on what to expect from a keeper in the post-Bosman era? Even Jimbo had his critics about kick outs and flapping at crosses. The psychologists would have a field day if they got into the minds of your average Hibee ;)

hibsbollah
04-03-2016, 10:44 PM
I think McGinn should be the new scapegoat.
1. Too much faffing around dribbling past people and doing incisive passing. Instead he should be launching 'high percentage balls' to the corners.
2. His hairstyle isn't the best.
3. He's Alan Stubbs' Man. Nepotism. I hate nepotism.

Hi Heid Yin
04-03-2016, 10:51 PM

A very good and sensible post. Hear, hear!:top marks

Golden Bear
04-03-2016, 11:01 PM
A very good and sensible post. Hear, hear!:top marks

It may very well be but unfortunately we all know that this thread will degenerate into yet another anti Ox attack.

lord bunberry
04-03-2016, 11:07 PM
I think McGinn should be the new scapegoat.
1. Too much faffing around dribbling past people and doing incisive passing. Instead he should be launching 'high percentage balls' to the corners.
2. His hairstyle isn't the best.
3. He's Alan Stubbs' Man. Nepotism. I hate nepotism.
So do I, Stubbs can get to **** and he can take his ball winning maestro with him.

JimBHibees
04-03-2016, 11:13 PM
It may very well be but unfortunately we all know that this thread will degenerate into yet another anti Ox attack.

As does the opening poster.

stevie-bee
04-03-2016, 11:29 PM
Keatings could become the next scape goat ,no playing well ex jambo

Ronniekirk
04-03-2016, 11:52 PM
Keatings could become the next scape goat ,no playing well ex jambo

When we are losing games and not scoring folk will bring up the fact he hasn't scored for a long time ,just like it will get mentioned Dagnall hasn't scored his first goal for the club yet These are facts but I couldn't care less about ex Jambo label and not interested in scapegoating any player ,but it would be good if The coaching team could help them to get back among the goals
With Cup Final places up for grabs only Farid is pushing for a place in team given he has managed to get a goal against Dumbarton .
All our forwards have attributes that make them valuable to the team in different ways ,but the simple fact is we need strikers just now to be scoring

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Giro Playboy
05-03-2016, 12:04 AM
Its ironic that some fans are prepared to point the finger at Oxley but not at Cummings who has missed some howlers over the last 3 games.
Ox has not been in great form but I think that is indicative of the team as a whole. Its not fair to single out one player when its a collective failure.

Winston Ingram
05-03-2016, 10:35 AM
Its ironic that some fans are prepared to point the finger at Oxley but not at Cummings who has missed some howlers over the last 3 games.
Ox has not been in great form but I think that is indicative of the team as a whole. Its not fair to single out one player when its a collective failure.

...and his performances have been horrific