PDA

View Full Version : Have we suddenly become a poor football team?

theonlywayisup
04-03-2016, 08:27 PM
For various reasons, I've missed the last three games.

Prior to these games we had some great performances, such as the games against Aberdeen, United, St. Johnstone and Hertz. Is this significant?

We've also had some wins against lower league teams where we made hard work of it. Lots of possession but we've eventually wore the team down, scored and won.

However, in the last three we've not scored first, the opposition have and we've lost.

Does this make us a poor team, suddenly? Were we lucky to get the results we did? And, do we play better against the better teams?

And, which Hibs team will turn up the next two Sundays?

Hibbyhaz
04-03-2016, 08:28 PM
For various reasons, I've missed the last three games.

Prior to these games we had some great performances, such as the games against Aberdeen, United, St. Johnstone and Hertz. Is this significant?

We've also had some wins against lower league teams where we made hard work of it. Lots of possession but we've eventually wore the team down, scored and won.

However, in the last three we've not scored, the opposition have (more than once) and we've lost.

Does this make us a poor team, suddenly? Were we lucky to get the results we did? And, do we play better against the better teams?

And, which Hibs team will turn up the next two Sundays?
You are clearly the lucky charm, and need to start coming back :aok:

jodjam
04-03-2016, 08:30 PM
We scored 2 last week

MyJo
04-03-2016, 08:34 PM
We've not suddenly become a bad football team but against better quality opposition we have had the freedom to play a bit more and been involved in more open games.

Against lower level opposition we are battling against teams sitting with 10 men behind the ball and hitting us on the break. when this happens you need to take your chances and we just haven't done that in the last few games, we have pounded team and had shot after shot after shot but with no goals which means the opposition can continue to sit in and defend and punish us when they are attacking.

Injuries, suspensions and a hectic schedule havent helped us either.

theonlywayisup
04-03-2016, 08:35 PM
We scored 2 last week

Sorry, meant to say score first. Will correct.

HibsNutter
04-03-2016, 08:42 PM
No, two weeks ago this was the best Hibs team in years with a chance of going up and winning two trophies, which remains the case. ALL teams go through rough spells, and the team have enough knowhow and skill to get back on track.

FromTheCapital
04-03-2016, 08:50 PM
We're still one of the best sides in Scotland.
It's a young team, and one which will thrive in years to come but let's back them to the hilt because we've got a league cup final to win next week, a promotion push albeit via play off's and we can still win the long awaited Scottish cup as it stands.

This team can achieve greatness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
04-03-2016, 08:54 PM
I can't comment on the Queen of the South match but against Morton and Dumbarton we were extremely bad, except for the last half an hour against Dumbarton when we were already 3-0 down.

We need to improve things drastically.

Hi Heid Yin
04-03-2016, 09:47 PM
Over the last 4 games we have played some decent, pleasing on the eye football, but sporadically and in spells during the QOS and Dumbarton games.
We were not at the races in the Morton game and thoroughly deserved to lose. The Livi game was played in diabolical conditions and we huffed and puffed but went no where and a draw was probably a fair outcome.
Chopping and changing 7 players in successive games I felt impacted more than Stubbs would care to admit.
I would say that the cutting edge is missing. All those 1-0 victories were obtained by having a reliable, confident brick-wall rear guard and a striker on form and taking one of the many chances that came his way (mostly Cummings).
Enforced changes (through injuries/suspensions) have also taken their toll, and as much as I want to believe that our squad is big enough and good enough to overcome the loss of key personnel, losing both McGeouch and Fyvie has been significant. We appear to not have like-for-like replacements.
We have temporarily lost our way and are certainly not as effective as we were in grinding-out those narrow victories.
Confidence is everything, coupled with that little bit of good fortune (ie the ball dropping at the right time in the box).
Our lads, whether they care to admit it or not, have taken a bit of a bashing confidence-wise and allowed frustration to creep in and affect their movement and thinking on the pitch. Hesitancy and doubt, allied with some poor decision-making have largely contributed to negative results.
I feel our team hasn't suddenly become poor, and will lift it's collective game again and take us to that previous and recent level, most likely starting on Sunday against Inverness - a team that will open up and leave space for our misfiring forwards to return to form. An early goal will go a long way to settling nerves and instilling confidence again.

lord bunberry
04-03-2016, 10:02 PM
Form is temporary class is permanent. We will rise and come again, cause we are the hibees.

Giro Playboy
04-03-2016, 11:34 PM
I don't think that we have become a poor team but we are not as good as we like to think we are. We have carried a bit of luck this season grabbing some 1-0 wins but at present that luck seems to have deserted us. Twice this season we have had the huns on the rack at Ibrox and both times we failed to kill them off. If they were as good as the papers were making out we would have won comfortably.
In saying that we should still be beating the 3 teams that have just beaten us.
Against Aberdeen and Hearts we were probably punching above our weight.

stoneyburn hibs
04-03-2016, 11:40 PM
Naw, naw. naw and naw. Whatever team Stubbs picks.

hibsbollah
05-03-2016, 07:06 AM

We are a better team than Hertz, have better players with a better coach with a better stadium with a better strip.

How were we 'punching above our weight' when we beat them?

JimBHibees
05-03-2016, 07:12 AM
We are a better team than Hertz, have better players with a better coach with a better stadium with a better strip.

Agree punching above our weight my erse if Cummings hadn't stupidly got sent off that would have ended 3 0. Far better football team, Hearts back to type with Levein in charge, HOOF.

Some players running on empty and stupid goals given away allied to injuries. We will be back starting tomorrow.

JimBHibees
05-03-2016, 07:14 AM
I don't think that we have become a poor team but we are not as good as we like to think we are. We have carried a bit of luck this season grabbing some 1-0 wins but at present that luck seems to have deserted us. Twice this season we have had the huns on the rack at Ibrox and both times we failed to kill them off. If they were as good as the papers were making out we would have won comfortably.
In saying that we should still be beating the 3 teams that have just beaten us.

Hmmmmm

Devonhibs
05-03-2016, 07:15 AM

How were we 'punching above our weight' when we beat them? Nice reply, does seem a bit obvious!!

Keith_M
05-03-2016, 07:18 AM
We need to be more pragmatic when it comes to style of play. Sometimes bombarding teams with what used to be called 'percentage football' is the thing to do, whereas Stubbs prefers a more technical, tippy-tappy, but ultimately less successful style.

How often do we score 3 or more goals against Championship teams? This is a very rare occurrence for a club that should be doing this on a regular basis.

hibsbollah
05-03-2016, 07:27 AM
We need to be more pragmatic when it comes to style of play. Sometimes bombarding teams with what used to be called 'percentage football' is the thing to do, whereas Stubbs prefers a more technical, tippy-tappy, but ultimately less successful style.

How often do we score 3 or more goals against Championship teams? This is a very rare occurrence for a club that should be doing this on a regular basis.

The problem there is Stubbs is damned if he does, damned if he doesnt. Against Queens we were playing '%' diagonal high balls up to our front three and asking Hendo to do more of a physical role. When that doesn't work we get castigated for being too route one. The 'tippy tappy' stuff only gets called 'tippy tappy' when it doesn't work.

It's a wee dip in from which hopefully is now out of our systems. Our injuries are a concern though, if Fonts/McGregor go down I will really start to worry.

Keith_M
05-03-2016, 07:30 AM
The problem there is Stubbs is damned if he does, damned if he doesnt. Against Queens we were playing '%' diagonal high balls up to our front three and asking Hendo to do more of a physical role. When that doesn't work we get castigated for being too route one. The 'tippy tappy' stuff only gets called 'tippy tappy' when it doesn't work.

It's a wee dip in from which hopefully is now out of our systems. Our injuries are a concern though, if Fonts/McGregor go down I will really start to worry.

The percentage stuff has to be done properly though. The idea is that you shoot at goal as often as possible, often from far out, but ensure you have plenty of people scavenging in and around the box trying to score from the inevitable rebounds.

eastmainsmsh
05-03-2016, 08:26 AM
I think maybe the players are starting to think too much about cups and last Three games have shown maybe need to forget that and go out and play

Hermit Crab
05-03-2016, 11:03 AM
]Hmmmmm[/B]

I agree, we have been punching a bit above our weight. Last 3 games tells a story that we can pull it off when we want to but the nitty gritty games it looks like some of the players cant be bothered.

And JimBHibees what do you mean by that? If you are in anyway insinuating that giro playboy is a hearts fan you can stop it now as I can vouch for him 100%.

Ronniekirk
05-03-2016, 04:04 PM
The answer is no but just as winning becomes a habit so can losing and I don't want to be going into a Cup Final on the back of four defeats and with strikers not finding the back of the net .
So tomorrow's game is important , just a pity we have do many key players missing through suspension and injury but it's a chance for fringe players to play there way into Stubbs Cup Final Team and for that reason we are in with a good chance of causing another Cup upset

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bishop Hibee
05-03-2016, 04:23 PM
We play some good stuff but lack pace and width. A problem for years at ER. Still good enough to beat ICT tomorrow if we hit form.

kaimendhibs
05-03-2016, 06:49 PM
Of course we havent.

Benjeloon
05-03-2016, 08:14 PM
I missed the Dumbarton and QOTS games but was at the Morton game and felt like it was just one of those games when nothing was going to go our way. Having said that, I noticed that Morton were pressing us high up the pitch for most of the first half up to their first goal. They played with a high tempo we just didn't match. I think Hibs expected them to sit back and defend and couldn't find a way past them.

From what I've heard / read this wasn't the case in the other two games, but I think that result really knocked them. Hopefully we show up tomorrow and put in a good performance (and get a result!) we can be proud about. I'm sure all the players want nothing more than to do that too #GGTTH

theonlywayisup
06-03-2016, 06:20 AM
You are clearly the lucky charm, and need to start coming back :aok:

I'll be at ER today and at Hampden as well. Actually, I've just realised that I've only see Hibs lose once this season, which was Dumbarton away.

:flag::flag::flag:

portyhibernian
06-03-2016, 09:36 AM
We haven't become a bad team overnight, we've seen over the course of the season that there's a lot of ability there. For whatever reason we've not been up to scratch in the last 3 games, what that's down to I'm not really sure but we can't change what's happened. Today is a chance to put the last 2 weeks behind us and kick on for the business end of the season.

Alfred E Newman
06-03-2016, 05:29 PM
We haven't become a bad team overnight, we've seen over the course of the season that there's a lot of ability there. For whatever reason we've not been up to scratch in the last 3 games, what that's down to I'm not really sure but we can't change what's happened. Today is a chance to put the last 2 weeks behind us and kick on for the business end of the season.

We are not a bad team. Today proved once again that we are as good as most in the Premier League.