PDA

View Full Version : Bovril

Waxy
02-03-2016, 09:03 PM
Is it just me or did it bovril taste alot better years ago. It just dont taste the same now. It didn't cost £2 either, £2 for some brown coloured water?

cabbageandribs1875
02-03-2016, 09:08 PM
Is it just me or did it bovril taste alot better years ago. It just dont taste the same now. It didn't cost £2 either, £2 for some brown coloured water?

£2.20 in the East :) i think it tastes ok to be fair, whilst starks park is by far the worst taste i've had for many a year, one cube for every 30 cartons i reckon

Sergey
02-03-2016, 09:17 PM
Bovril was struck-off with the cash-and-carry outlets a few years ago due to a number of different reasons. It was previously sold in catering cups that had some powder base that simply needed hot water to dissolve. Before that, the caterer could take a dollop from the jar and stir it (or not as was the norm) and serve you it in a cup of some sort.

The health and safety folk (or food hygiene nazis) decided that there was possible mass death on the cards and asked Bovril to change the formula to meet with EU Regulations, hence why it now tastes of nothing much more than salt.

The cash-and-carry now stock it again but it's way different to what was purveyed a few years ago.

jarre1875
02-03-2016, 09:18 PM
No quite as bad as the hot chocolate at livingston. The worst thing ive ever seen/tasted.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

et_hibby
02-03-2016, 10:41 PM
hot chocolate at livingston.

That sounds exotic...

jarre1875
02-03-2016, 10:43 PM
Na. It looked like it right out the sewer. Even had lumps in it as well. 😨

truehibernian
02-03-2016, 11:17 PM

When I played for Hutchie years and years ago we changed half time drinks from Oxo to orange juice - we were near complaining to FIFA 😀 Can't beat bovril - mind for a couple of games we were allowed Sweetheart Stout because it was 'full of iron' !!!!

G-Reg
02-03-2016, 11:38 PM
My nephew asked what my mate was drinking at the saints game and I said it's bovril, he was like whats that I said its a beef drink. I've never seen someone look so confused. It's something I used to love getting at ER when I was younger but I always remember it being less watery back then

Lancs Harp
02-03-2016, 11:43 PM
Do you ever think there will be a time when you can get a beer in the stadium?

Greencore
02-03-2016, 11:45 PM
Love the bovril at ER, normally put salt and three pepper sachets in mine:)

monktonharp
02-03-2016, 11:54 PM
When I played for Hutchie years and years ago we changed half time drinks from Oxo to orange juice - we were near complaining to FIFA  Can't beat bovril - mind for a couple of games we were allowed Sweetheart Stout because it was 'full of iron' !!!!I know it's hardly a summertime drink, but it might be better for youngsters regarding calories etc to drink Bovril. I have no idea about the content but like the odd Bovril. the amount o' fat lassies walking past ma hoose, carrying a 2litre bottle o' kola, or the likes just worries me. they could get into shot putting teams at Lochaber highland games or represent Bulgaria in that event when you see the size of them.

cabbageandribs1875
03-03-2016, 12:25 AM
When I played for Hutchie years and years ago we changed half time drinks from Oxo to orange juice - we were near complaining to FIFA  Can't beat bovril - mind for a couple of games we were allowed Sweetheart Stout because it was 'full of iron' !!!!

also used for 'medicinal purposes' in hospitals a few decades ago iirc

monktonharp
03-03-2016, 12:31 AM
also used for 'medicinal purposes' in hospitals a few decades ago iirc
:agree: liked the bit when the nurse said, did you move a stool? at first I thought it was a furniture thing

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-03-2016, 01:08 AM
Bovril is available in cubes now, naewhere as good as the stuff in the jar but, still does the job.

monktonharp
03-03-2016, 01:51 AM
Do you ever think there will be a time when you can get a beer in the stadium?Beer in the stadium is not for the likes of us silly Scottish people. wont happen. we're too uncouth.. anyone South of Watford can tell you that. Don't know how you Lancs animals get away with it.

Denverhibby
03-03-2016, 04:51 AM
Beer in the stadium is not for the likes of us silly Scottish people. wont happen. we're too uncouth.. anyone South of Watford can tell you that. Don't know how you Lancs animals get away with it.

besides the ball is the wrong shape to get beer.

Hibernia&Alba
03-03-2016, 05:51 AM
It's years since I had Bovril. I might get a jar, just for the memories.

Forza Fred
03-03-2016, 06:03 AM
Do you ever think there will be a time when you can get a beer in the stadium?

Have to emigrate out here for that........mind you it does come in plastic containers and at an exorbitant cost.

As for Bovril........not much call for that

Hibee87
03-03-2016, 07:07 AM
Ive picked up a packet of the cups with the powder in the bottom a few times from Poundland and/or B&M store. IM also 99.9% positive they also had the jars

Fenriz
03-03-2016, 07:21 AM
Bovril doesn't actually contain beef anymore, so it's basically just salty water with yeast extract (similar to Marmite).

I usually enjoy the first half of a cup of Bovril before reaching the soupy mush at the bottom. Often regret the heartburn afterwards too!

Hibby Bairn
03-03-2016, 08:49 AM
Bovril from a jar spread lightly (scraped) on hot buttered toast. Majestic.

Hi Heid Yin
03-03-2016, 09:17 AM
I know it's hardly a summertime drink, but it might be better for youngsters regarding calories etc to drink Bovril. I have no idea about the content but like the odd Bovril. the amount o' fat lassies walking past ma hoose, carrying a 2litre bottle o' kola, or the likes just worries me. they could get into shot putting teams at Lochaber highland games or represent Bulgaria in that event when you see the size of them.

:tee hee: That made me chuckle

Trainor
03-03-2016, 09:23 AM

Bovril's a bit "marmite"

Waxy
03-03-2016, 09:34 AM
Bovril's a bit "marmite"

It used to be a tasty beefy drink for around 20p. Now it's a cup of brown salt water for over £2.

Craig_in_Prague
03-03-2016, 09:43 AM
I got chilli bovril in a jar last year, it was really awful :( ......though you could tom tit yourself thin, so had a plus point.

Greencore
03-03-2016, 09:53 AM
IMO the jar and powder bovril tastes nothing like the one at ER. Best bovril in Scotland 👍🏻🇳🇬

Golden Bear
03-03-2016, 09:55 AM
I used to enjoy a good cup of Bovril until I experienced *loody gout for the first time!

It's now a beveridge which is best avoided unfortunately.

Edson Arantes
03-03-2016, 06:05 PM

Bovril is ace.

LancashireHibby
03-03-2016, 07:55 PM
I consider myself something of a Bovril connoisseur. Wasn't a great one at Palmerston the other night. The ones they sell at Bolton are hotter than the surface of the sun and don't even stir it, though sometimes I do like the 'beef kick' when there's a load of it clumped together at the bottom. Best one is Atherton Collieries where the girl serving even stirs in some pepper for you, though a special mention for the guy who works in the tea bar at AFC Blackpool who must double up as a barista judging by how good their hot chocolate is!

Joe6-2
03-03-2016, 09:23 PM
Have to emigrate out here for that........mind you it does come in plastic containers and at an exorbitant cost.

As for Bovril........not much call for that

Bovril £2!!! Allianz arena, fantastic, beers when you go in, guy comes round with a tray of pints! Imagine that here!!

Bad Martini
04-03-2016, 02:22 PM
Another of life's little pleasures ****ed up for no good reason...

Spooky, I had a Bovril the other day there. The new larger cubes arent the same (even with a full cube). Less beefy and stocky, more peppery and watery and has a greasy like film on top of the cup...hmmm, prior to this (when it was a genuine cube rather than a ****ed up rectangle now available), it was, quite simply, braw.

Bovril at ER was fine last time I had some. That said, they use a catering incarnation which was ALWAYS different from the cubes you make in the hoose.

...a less well known fact for many; Bovril was invented by a wee butcher in Roslin around 130 years ago. Fact. Us Scots have been inventing **** that's bad for you for years so we do :greengrin
Meantime, other facts around the (Former) greatest fitba drink (next to beer) can be found here, in the following SOURCE before anyone asks:
http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/bovril-a-very-beefy-and-british-love-affair

Ohhhh bovril, bovril...used to taste barry but it's *****y now. :grr:

:thumbsup:

ENDOF

southsider
04-03-2016, 02:43 PM
I once bought a jar of chicken Bovril. Wow, with a touch of pepper, really great. Been unable to find it again.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-03-2016, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=Bad Martini;4606768]Another of life's little pleasures ****ed up for no good reason...

Spooky, I had a Bovril the other day there. The new larger cubes arent the same (even with a full cube). Less beefy and stocky, more peppery and watery and has a greasy like film on top of the cup...hmmm, prior to this (when it was a genuine cube rather than a ****ed up rectangle now available), it was, quite simply, braw.

Bovril at ER was fine last time I had some. That said, they use a catering incarnation which was ALWAYS different from the cubes you make in the hoose.

...a less well known fact for many; Bovril was invented by a wee butcher in Roslin around 130 years ago. Fact. Us Scots have been inventing **** that's bad for you for years so we do :greengrin

The Evening News printed an article a year or two ago that it was a butcher round about Cannongate that created Bovril IIRC, I've not read your link.

ancient hibee
04-03-2016, 04:12 PM
The bovril tastes more meaty than any of the pies do.

Smartie
04-03-2016, 04:13 PM
I remember when all this was just trees.