PDA

View Full Version : Reality check required

Wellbankhibby
02-03-2016, 05:48 PM
Before I'm shot down in flames can I ask that most fans take a hard look at the evidence of this season and look at the facts. We are on a disappointing run at present a three game loss and a draw against livie. We can also kiss goodbye to winning tha championship. At the start of the season we wanted to see an improvement on and off the park, I'm sure we can all see that this has been achieved. We are also in the league cup final and Scottish cup quarters. The team have already given us some great football and on most occasions victories. Most of us probably thought the league was between us and newco and that's exactly where we are at this time sitting as their nearest challangers. Yes it's disappointing we have let the league challenge slip but we have to stay strong and be together as one. We can still achieve promotion but the dreaded confidence slip has resurfaced we need a good result on Sunday to get us United once again. GGTTH. :flag:

kaimendhibs
02-03-2016, 06:00 PM
Before I'm shot down in flames can I ask that most fans take a hard look at the evidence of this season and look at the facts. We are on a disappointing run at present a three game loss and a draw against livie. We can also kiss goodbye to winning tha championship. At the start of the season we wanted to see an improvement on and off the park, I'm sure we can all see that this has been achieved. We are also in the league cup final and Scottish cup quarters. The team have already given us some great football and on most occasions victories. Most of us probably thought the league was between us and newco and that's exactly where we are at this time sitting as their nearest challangers. Yes it's disappointing we have let the league challenge slip but we have to stay strong and be together as one. We can still achieve promotion but the dreaded confidence slip has resurfaced we need a good result on Sunday to get us United once again. GGTTH. :flag:
10/10

hibsbollah
02-03-2016, 06:06 PM
Far too sensible. Agree with all of it.

(Apart from I hate it when people start posts with that thing about 'don't shoot me down in flames'. What is that? Why did it start? Worst metaphor ever) But that's for another thread hijack...

Ozyhibby
02-03-2016, 06:09 PM
We've only improved by 3 points on where we were at this stage last season.
That's the reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibernia&Alba
02-03-2016, 06:09 PM
Very much agree: still all to play for at this point; we need to get back on track in the league, though, and ensure a second place finish.

Wellbankhibby
02-03-2016, 06:13 PM

(Apart from I hate it when people start posts with that thing about 'don't shoot me down in flames'. What is that? Why did it start? Worst metaphor ever) But that's for another thread hijack...
I only started with that phrase as every time you say anything anyone disagrees with you are called a jambo or I smell a Yam. I am A Hibee and will always be a Hibee.

Andy74
02-03-2016, 06:16 PM

At the start of the season I wanted us to win the league.

I would have been surprised if you told me instead we'd still be battling Falkirk for second having lost twice as many games as Falkirk.

Hibee_Craig7062
02-03-2016, 06:17 PM
You will get shot down by some for daring to be positive. One usual suspect has stepped up already within the opening responses.

Totally agree that this is a time to get behind the team. All goals can still be achieved and it could be awesome. If dreams come true or if they don't then it's always positive being a hibby

PISTOL1875
02-03-2016, 06:18 PM
I only started with that phrase as every time you say anything anyone disagrees with you are called a jambo or I smell a Yam. I am A Hibee and will always be a Hibee.

Some people on this forum can't accept that posters have an opinion and that sometimes will differ from theirs..

Pretty Boy
02-03-2016, 06:30 PM
As it stands we are only 3 points better off than at the same stage last season, have conceded more goals, have lost double the number of games Falkirk have and are on course to finish a comparative number of points behind the champions elect as last season.

My gut instinct is there has been improvement this season but some tangible evidence in the form of promotion and a sizeable improvement in league form wouldn't go amiss.

That's not being desperate to kill positivity it's just where my mindset is. I swam against the tide at the end of last season when I was critical of our failure to go up as I felt it was more than achievable, I was despondent as I realised the size of the task ahead whilst others where dishing out pats on the back. IF we fail to go up this season it is adject failure by any standards. It's not my job to change that mindset, that's up to those paid to do so.

Hibernia&Alba
02-03-2016, 06:39 PM
As it stands we are only 3 points better off than at the same stage last season, have conceded more goals, have lost double the number of games Falkirk have and are on course to finish a comparative number of points behind the champions elect as last season.

My gut instinct is there has been improvement this season but some tangible evidence in the form of promotion and a sizeable improvement in league form wouldn't go amiss.

That's not being desperate to kill positivity it's just where my mindset is. I swam against the tide at the end of last season when I was critical of our failure to go up as I felt it was more than achievable, I was despondent as I realised the size of the task ahead whilst others where dishing out pats on the back. IF we fail to go up this season it is adject failure by any standards. It's not my job to change that mindset, that's up to those paid to do so.

Problem was that, typical Hibs, we managed to get relegated at the worst possible time - when both Rangers and Hearts would be in the Championship. It was always going to be very difficult to win promotion last season. This season we have Rangers to deal with, so again automatic promotion was going to be a big ask. But if we don't finish second and make the play off final, that would certainly represent failure, IMO. If we reach the play off final, we'll have a good chance. It's on a knife-edge right now and could go either way: glory or failure.

Keith_M
02-03-2016, 06:41 PM
The fact is that we were doing better than last season... until about 5 league games back.

However, our recent league form has totally wasted that. I normally try to be positive but we have to face reality, that it wouldn't be a big surprise now if we didn't get promoted.

However, I've decided to concentrate on the fact that we have a chance to win a national trophy next week, which we don't do very often.

Hibbyhaz
02-03-2016, 06:43 PM

ACDC I believe

SquashedFrogg
02-03-2016, 07:25 PM
That's the reality.

We have the 2nd highest budget in the Championship and are 2nd in the Championship. That's the reality.

hibsbollah
02-03-2016, 07:30 PM
ACDC I believe

If Stubbsy doesnt do something about out 'alarming three game slide' we could be on a 'highway to hell...'

Lago
02-03-2016, 07:32 PM

Its better than 'I'll put my tin hat on'

Eyrie
02-03-2016, 08:28 PM
If Stubbsy doesnt do something about out 'alarming three game slide' we could be on a 'highway to hell...'

There's no point to "beating around the bush" because it's "a long way to the top" from here.

rcarter1
02-03-2016, 08:46 PM

Leaving the Cups aside, in which we have been monumental, I am not convinced that we have handled this league any better than last season. And I felt that before we lost the last three. Im with you about being positive and working together. We could yet have a sensational season with promotion and trophies. I like the balance of the team better than last season (i.e. its not all down to S. Alan).
We have great players throughout the side. My gripe with Stubbs is that he hasn't made any inroads on working out how to put Championship sides to the sword with any regularity. We have the budget and players to achieve this. I think Stubbs has been ignoring this aspect because we were able to scrape through a lot of games mid season which put us back into contention. Now all it takes is a little bad luck and we lose games.

However: GGTTH and looking forward to the Qtrs and the Final.

ekhibee
02-03-2016, 08:58 PM
Maybe if we spent less time passing the ball around the opponents penalty box and actually shot at goal that would help. There's always a 'Touch Too Much'. :duck:

erin go bragh
03-03-2016, 12:29 AM

I would have been surprised if you told me instead we'd still be battling Falkirk for second having lost twice as many games as Falkirk.

But still above Falkirk and after beating four top flight sides including Aberdeen , Hearts and St Johnstone . In the quarters of the Scottish and the final of the league cup .
Time for everybody to get behind the team .

GGTTH

SonOfDavidFrancey
03-03-2016, 07:35 AM
If we had lost to the Dons in the LC and to the yams in the first SC tie, and Sevco had drawn Celtic,beat them in a replay and sung sunshine on govan, I will bet any money that the recent run of 1-0s they have enjoyed would have been defeats and we would have kept moving upwards. Our recent run is a kind of burnout but I think we will gather ourselves for the run in. The reality check needed is an understanding (see Man City) that it is difficult to fight on many fronts, even with a tin hat on.

hibs0666
03-03-2016, 07:38 AM
That's the reality.

Nope it's part of the reality. We didn't get to a cup final last season.

Ozyhibby
03-03-2016, 07:53 AM
Nope it's part of the reality. We didn't get to a cup final last season.

Apologies, it's just that I thought that most fans were agreed that we would need to be a lot better than last season, not just a little bit better.

J-C
03-03-2016, 08:13 AM
2nd in the Championship with Falkirk breathing down our necks, if we're not careful we'll end up 3rd with extra games to win to get up, are you all confident of beating Raith/QOS/Falkirk.

Libby Hibby
03-03-2016, 08:45 AM
2nd in the Championship with Falkirk breathing down our necks, if we're not careful we'll end up 3rd with extra games to win to get up, are you all confident of beating Raith/QOS/Falkirk.

Yes, and since the play offs have started in Scotland, the final between Premiership and Championship has always featured the Championship side that has finished 3rd (Sevco 2015) or 4th (Hamilton 2014).

So it's not as bad a people fear to finish out with 2nd.

Thecat23
03-03-2016, 08:51 AM

Think you aren't giving Falkirk the credit they deserve. Do you think Celtic would think they would only be 5 ahead of Aberdeen? Sometimes teams punch way above their weight. Also who's in second just now? We are so let's not worry about how many more games we've lost compared to Falkirk because they Aren't ahead of us as it stands.

DH1875
03-03-2016, 08:56 AM
The reality of it is, know one knows what's gonna happen between now and the end of the season. Everyone needs to calm down and let's see what happens.

Reality No1: We win both cups and win promotion, Stubbs the players and everyone connected with the club become hero's and take the well deserved plaudits.

Reality No2: We win 1 cup and promotion. Same reaction to reality No1.

Reality No3: We win promotion but no cups. OK, job done. We're out of this kitty league and can all look forward to next season.

Reality No4: We win both cups but no promotion. Not ideal but I could live with it and would think it would spur us on to walk the league next season.

Reality No5: No cups and lose to the SPL team in the playoffs. Hard to take and a lot would depend on the circumstances we lost these games under to see where we go from here.

Reality No6: No cups, lose to Falkirk in the playoffs and they win promotion. Total disaster and questions would then seriously have to be asked.

Like I said, no one knows what's gonna happen. It's gonna be an emotional rollercoaster for sure though.

Thecat23
03-03-2016, 08:58 AM
The reality of it is, know one knows what's gonna happen between now and the end of the season. Everyone needs to calm down and let's see what happens.

Reality No1: We win both cups and win promotion, Stubbs the players and everyone connected with the club become hero's and take the well deserved plaudits.

Reality No2: We win 1 cup and promotion. Same reaction to reality No1.

Reality No3: We win promotion but no cups. OK, job done. We're out of this kitty league and can all look forward to next season.

Reality No4: We win both cups but no promotion. Not ideal but I could live with it and would think it would spur us on to walk the league next season.

Reality No5: No cups and lose to the SPL team in the playoffs. Hard to take and a lot would depend on the circumstances we lost these games under to see where we go from here.

Reality No6: No cups, lose to Falkirk in the playoffs and they win promotion. Total disaster and questions would then seriously have to be asked.

Like I said, no one knows what's gonna happen. It's gonna be an emotional rollercoaster for sure though.

This, close thread now 😁👍🏼

Pete
03-03-2016, 09:02 AM
This, close thread now 😁👍🏼

I'm not wanting it closed until I hear about one cup and no promotion.

J-C
03-03-2016, 10:34 AM
Yes, and since the play offs have started in Scotland, the final between Premiership and Championship has always featured the Championship side that has finished 3rd (Sevco 2015) or 4th (Hamilton 2014).

You missed my point, I'm saying I'm not confident of beating the other teams in the play off never mind the team 2nd bottom of the premier league.

Libby Hibby
03-03-2016, 10:38 AM
You missed my point, I'm saying I'm not confident of beating the other teams in the play off never mind the team 2nd bottom of the premier league.

Sorry, I thought you had asked a question

hibs0666
03-03-2016, 11:21 AM

Glad you're not the manager.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-03-2016, 11:37 AM
We have the 2nd highest budget in the Championship and are 2nd in the Championship. That's the reality.

And so should only really be beaten by the team with the highest budget?

hibs0666
03-03-2016, 11:40 AM
And so should only really be beaten by the team with the highest budget?

When did football ever work like that?

J-C
03-03-2016, 11:41 AM
Glad you're not the manager.

If you'd asked me that question 3-4 weeks ago I'd be confidently saying bring them all on but with the collapse we've seen I'm definitely not confident of beating any of them,

Saying I'm glad you're not the manager is a stupid thing to say anyway.

hibs0666
03-03-2016, 12:17 PM
If you'd asked me that question 3-4 weeks ago I'd be confidently saying bring them all on but with the collapse we've seen I'm definitely not confident of beating any of them,

Saying I'm glad you're not the manager is a stupid thing to say anyway.

Don't agree. You can either take the view that we have been playing above ourselves for most of the season, or that we are now at our true level. I believe the former, and I trust our manager and players to get back to that level of performance.

mjhibby
03-03-2016, 12:39 PM
The two things against us is tiredness by some players and the inexperience of our squad. Anybody who watched the pool man city game could see that city were knackered and they could have been gubbed by a lot more. I know we aren't playing champions league games but the two hearts ties and the league cup semi were intense games. It will take a while to get over them. At least we have five days between games and then seven to the league cup final. Secondly the likes of Cummings,McGinn,Henderson and even mcgeogh are finding it tough with the schedule we have had recently and which will be coming again soon. Plus the likes of hanlon and fyfie are injured who are relatively experienced. I've no doubt the guys will pick themselves up for the caley game and hopefully both mcgeoch and fyfie will be available for the cup final. If we get the squad fit and rested for the playoffs I'm confident we will go up. Fingers and toes crossed.

Johnny_Leith
03-03-2016, 05:33 PM

Hamilton finished 2nd the season they went up through the play-offs, 1 point ahead of Falkirk who they beat 2-1 on aggregate to get to the final against us. They were 2 points off top spot and automatic promotion.

hibsbollah
03-03-2016, 06:15 PM
Its better than 'I'll put my tin hat on'

:agree:
It's even worse when someone says 'tin hat firmly on here, but...'
I mean, if some ****er came at you with a flamethrower wanting to 'shoot you down in flames' would wearing a tin hat (firmly on or otherwise) make any difference?