PDA

View Full Version : Hanlon out for a month

greenpaper55
02-03-2016, 11:32 AM
In todays EN "Stubbs confirmed that Paul Hanlon will miss the cup final having been injured at Dumbarton. The defender is expected to be out for a month after a scan revealed a tear in his right thigh but that, insisted the head coach, was better news than first feared."

Just what we needed !

02-03-2016, 11:34 AM
Massive blow for us. He's been immense this season. Huge miss for the cup final but this year the main goal is to get promoted so at least it's only a month and he should be back for the play-offs.

Beefster
02-03-2016, 11:35 AM
Terrible but it could have been much, much worse. A month out will still give him time to get back playing and get his fitness back to where it should be in time for the play-offs.

California-Hibs
02-03-2016, 11:52 AM
At least he's back for the play offs! Reading of him possibly being out till December-ish time was frankly scarey!

Gutted for him though because it'll crush him being a huge Hibee seeing us lift the League Cup with him not being on the field, especially as he wasn't around in 2007.

Hopefully the lads use it as a little more motivation to do it for Paul!

Onion
02-03-2016, 12:34 PM
Gutted for him and Hibs. Big Hibby who would like nothing more than lifting a trophy at Hamdump. Time for Fonts and Darren to prove their worth.

lyonhibs
02-03-2016, 01:04 PM
The timing of this injury has horrible echoes of his injury a couple of years ago, albeit obviously we're in a rather different league position.

Here's hoping McGregor and Fontaine prove rather more able as a plan b) pairing at the back than Nelson and ?????? (Genuinely, I've blanked them from my memory, was McGivern playing a centre back by the end of 2013/2014?)
were.

Big_Franck
02-03-2016, 01:10 PM
The timing of this injury has horrible echoes of his injury a couple of years ago, albeit obviously we're in a rather different league position.

Here's hoping McGregor and Fontaine prove rather more able as a plan b) pairing at the back than Nelson and ?????? (Genuinely, I've blanked them from my memory, was McGivern playing a centre back by the end of 2013/2014?)
were.

Yes, unfortunately. With Maybury, Nelson and McGivern making up most of the back 4 is it any wonder we got relegated :rolleyes:

Bad news about Hanlon but as others have said, it could have been worse. Here's hoping the rest of the team do it for him and he can lift the league cup alongside David Gray.

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2016, 01:25 PM
Yes, unfortunately. With Maybury, Nelson and McGivern making up most of the back 4 is it any wonder we got relegated :rolleyes:

Bad news about Hanlon but as others have said, it could have been worse. Here's hoping the rest of the team do it for him and he can lift the league cup alongside David Gray.Lumping Maybury in with those 2 is harsh, was a solid player for us and a model pro who done lots of work behind the scenes. Wouldn't have had to play anywhere near as much if not for sicknote Clancy.

HibsNutter
02-03-2016, 01:44 PM
F***. Massive blow he's been our best defender, I'd say recall Forster for back up if we could but he seems to have been seriously injured too.

The one positive thing that will come from this is that McGregor and Fontaine will get a few games together on the bounce, and this instability from chopping and changing at CB will stop.

Lancs Harp
02-03-2016, 02:09 PM
Agree he is our best defender and its a big blow, feel sorry for him too he has had a great season and its not every day a cup final comes along in your career, he must be very disappointed.

On the bright side though it did look at first that he would be out for longer, so small mercies and all that.

LM and DM need to step up to the plate now, a bit more defensive help from midfield wouldn't go amiss, teams re just running straight though our midfield at the moment adding to the pressure on the back line.

Leithenhibby
02-03-2016, 02:18 PM
F***. Massive blow he's been our best defender, I'd say recall Forster for back up if we could but he seems to have been seriously injured too.

The one positive thing that will come from this is that McGregor and Fontaine will get a few games together on the bounce, and this instability from chopping and changing at CB will stop.

Broken jaw, out for the season. EDIT (NOT broken) still out for weeks.

Gutted for Paul Hanlon and can only wish him a speedy recovery.

GGTTH

ancient hibee
02-03-2016, 03:38 PM
Shame for Hanlon.Maybe he'll have to settle for lifting the other cup:greengrin

02-03-2016, 04:03 PM
He played such a part in getting us to the final, poor guy must be absolutely gutted that he wont be taking part.

greenlex
04-03-2016, 05:50 AM
The lack of pace without Paul is a real worry.

jacomo
04-03-2016, 09:12 AM
Shame for Hanlon.Maybe he'll have to settle for lifting the other cup:greengrin

Well, he's played a significant role in getting us this far...

Best wishes to Liam Fontaine. He was very solid last season, hopefully he can score a few for us as well.

MWHIBBIES
04-03-2016, 09:57 AM
The lack of pace without Paul is a real worry.Not at all, center back is without doubt the position than needs pace the least(other than the 'keeper). Good reading of the game and proper positioning can nullify even the quickest forwards.

McGregor is also probably just as fast as Hanlon if not faster, doubt it will be a problem in the slightest.

greenlex
04-03-2016, 10:39 AM
Not at all, center back is without doubt the position than needs pace the least(other than the 'keeper). Good reading of the game and proper positioning can nullify even the quickest forwards.

McGregor is also probably just as fast as Hanlon if not faster, doubt it will be a problem in the slightest.

Fontaine lumbers around. McGregor looked like he was running in treacle at right back at Ibrox and I never feel that's the case when Hanlon is/was left back. Gunnarsson looks solid but no turn of speed. Non of them IMO read the game like Hanlon and a nippy wee centre(Baird at Falkirk springs to mind) (any of the Morton front players too when I think about it) I could see us in trouble with a ball over the top turning them and /or quick give and go around the box. Not convinced we will be OK as bourne out the season we were relegated when we really missed him. Speedy recovery Paul. I think he might be a bigger miss than Fyvie or McGeouch. I might be tempted to play big Marv in there if I'm being honest. Tell hi to keep it simple.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-03-2016, 10:49 AM
Sometimes we only appreciate what we go til it's gone...

Alex Trager
04-03-2016, 10:59 AM
At least he's back for the play offs! Reading of him possibly being out till December-ish time was frankly scarey!

Gutted for him though because it'll crush him being a huge Hibee seeing us lift the League Cup with him not being on the field, especially as he wasn't around in 2007.

Hopefully the lads use it as a little more motivation to do it for Paul!

He'll just have to lift the SC in May

hibbysam
04-03-2016, 11:18 AM
Gail will be along shortly to tell us how wrote we all are, and that we won't miss Paul one bit due to his ineffectiveness against big teams.

Speedy recovery Paul, hopefully the rest of the back line step up to the plate and stay solid for the coming weeks!

ancient hibee
04-03-2016, 03:22 PM
Fontaine lumbers around. McGregor looked like he was running in treacle at right back at Ibrox and I never feel that's the case when Hanlon is/was left back. Gunnarsson looks solid but no turn of speed. Non of them IMO read the game like Hanlon and a nippy wee centre(Baird at Falkirk springs to mind) (any of the Morton front players too when I think about it) I could see us in trouble with a ball over the top turning them and /or quick give and go around the box. Not convinced we will be OK as bourne out the season we were relegated when we really missed him. Speedy recovery Paul. I think he might be a bigger miss than Fyvie or McGeouch. I might be tempted to play big Marv in there if I'm being honest. Tell hi to keep it simple.

As with all positions the most important speed is speed of thought.It can make a player look twice as fast.Don't think John Terry would ever beat anyone in a race-when he's playing he doesn't have to.

AlbertK86
07-03-2016, 05:22 PM
Hanlon was in the squad that went out to Spain today.

Presuming he will just be there for some sunshine unless anyone in the know can tell us otherwise ?

Underscore .... Take it there ain't a wee outside chance he"ll make

Billy Whizz
07-03-2016, 05:38 PM

Presuming he will just be there for some sunshine unless anyone in the know can tell us otherwise ?

He's got no chance of playing on Sunday, taken along to help with team spirit

jnr_hibee
07-03-2016, 06:01 PM

Every player in the squad went, injured or not. Club doctors and physios etc included.

Brightside
07-03-2016, 06:11 PM
He's got no chance of playing on Sunday, taken along to help with team spirit

Yep - no chance. Just allows the docs to work on him over there. He did say the tear isn't as bad as first thought though.

AlbertK86
07-03-2016, 06:12 PM
Every player in the squad went, injured or not. Club doctors and physios etc included.

Ok ... Was just hoping as when we play 3-5-2 with him sweeping we look very secure

NAE NOOKIE
07-03-2016, 06:14 PM
Hanlon has been a big part of our run to this final .... gutted for the poor guy. But McGregor & Fontaine are able deputies IMO and if it doesn't work out for them on they day it wont be because of a lack of effort on their part.