PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Cup team for Sunday

Hibeesmad
02-03-2016, 06:49 AM
Sunday is our chance to overshadow recent results and move on by putting another trip to Hampden on the calendar. With Bartley, Hanlon & Cummings out some key decisions have to be made

Oxley

Gray
McGregor
Fontaine
Stevenson

McGeough
McGinn
Henderson

Boyle
Farid
Stokes

Brightside
02-03-2016, 06:50 AM
Play the kids then get our mind on what is important this season. finishing 2nd.

Northernhibee
02-03-2016, 06:54 AM
Play youth, let the first team get a needed rest. Not the priority.

SeanWilson
02-03-2016, 07:02 AM
Sunday is our chance to overshadow recent results and move on by putting another trip to Hampden on the calendar. With Bartley, Hanlon & Cummings out some key decisions have to be made

Oxley

Gray
McGregor
Fontaine
Stevenson

McGeough
McGinn
Henderson

Boyle
Farid
Stokes

That team would get bullied IMO

thebausburst
02-03-2016, 07:04 AM

WHAT :no way The SC is a priority now that the league is gone, we will finish in the play-offs regardless and are surely good enough to keep 2nd place. Tell the 20k+ At ER a few weeks back the cups are not a priority.

mcfly
02-03-2016, 07:05 AM

What!!!!!

We've not won the cup since 1902 we have a home draw, 3 important players out and u want us to rest more??

Only hibs fans.......crazy post

Onceinawhile
02-03-2016, 07:16 AM
Ox

Gunnarson
Fontaine
Mcgregor

Carmichael
Dylan
Mcginn
Henderson
Boyle

Farid
Dagnall.

We need proper width and pace which Boyle and Carmichael can provide. Big guy up top(Farid) and a willing runner for knock downs (dagnall)

Northernhibee
02-03-2016, 07:22 AM
What!!!!!

We've not won the cup since 1902 we have a home draw, 3 important players out and u want us to rest more??

The first team needs a rest, the only priority is 2nd for two less play off games and promotion. Crazy to think otherwise.

Craig_in_Prague
02-03-2016, 07:28 AM
What!!!!!

Not to mention battling back from the dead against Hearts, then performing well to win the replay - why go through all that to not give 100% best shot at beating ICT.... crazy,

We were always going to be in the play-offs (like it or not), We have a decent chance of getting to the semi-finals of the SC (and continue unbeaten run against top sides), then another PL team in a final next week.

I don't think the players aren't trying, they are mainly young which brings inconsistency. They've won a lot of 'big' games this season, so do not give up on them yet, in fact get behind them.

We're into March, can win 1 cup, be back at Hampden for a SC semi-final - and the play-offs we'll just have to give it our all when it comes round (Rangers finished 3rd and played in the final play off match, nothing stopping us if it came to that as well).

Stubbs has brought respect back to the club after about 5 honking years. The 1st ever sell-out, getting through against a very good Hearts side (like it or not), a lot of really good players playing the right way.
1 bad week does not undo all the good work so far, as above, STILL 3 fronts to compete on - Who wouldn't have taken that back in August!

GGTTH

Brightside
02-03-2016, 07:32 AM
No bother guys I look forward to you all continuing to buy premium season tickets to watch football in one of the worst leagues in Europe. Prob get down to a 6000 average attendance. But ooooh a big shiny cup.

lucky
02-03-2016, 07:34 AM
Play the kids then get our mind on what is important this season. finishing 2nd.

We're already second and will finish there. The next two weeks is about winning. We've a great chance to win the LC and progress to the semi of the SC. why any fan would not want that is baffling

Stokesy's on fire
02-03-2016, 07:35 AM

Oxley

Gray
McGregor
Fontaine
Stevenson

McGeough
McGinn
Henderson

Boyle
Farid
Stokes

I like this line up but isn't stokes suspended for this ICT match?

California-Hibs
02-03-2016, 07:38 AM
No bother guys I look forward to you all continuing to buy premium season tickets to watch football in one of the worst leagues in Europe. Prob get down to a 6000 average attendance. But ooooh a big shiny cup.

You won't be saying that in the slightest if we win it. Those memories of that day will go down with you to the grave! Will completely outshine what will most likely only be 1 more season in the Chanpionship as there will be no Rangers to worry about.

Anyway, we're going up via the play offs this year, so it's the strongest team possible for what is our holly Grail. Please don't talk mince like that again. Thanks.

Brightside
02-03-2016, 07:44 AM
We're already second and will finish there. The next two weeks is about winning. We've a great chance to win the LC and progress to the semi of the SC. why any fan would not want that is baffling

Falkirk are almost ahead of us.

Brightside
02-03-2016, 07:47 AM
You won't be saying that in the slightest if we win it. Those memories of that day will go down with you to the grave! Will completely outshine what will most likely only be 1 more season in the Chanpionship as there will be no Rangers to worry about.

Anyway, we're going up via the play offs this year, so it's the strongest team possible for what is our holly Grail. Please don't talk mince like that again. Thanks.

If we don't go up our squad will be stripped. Financially we cannot afford to stay in this league...there is no Sir Tom Farmer to bail us out anymore. Getting up is THE ONLY important thing this season.

I'll stick to my mince when it is lead by logic and common-sense. You stick to the shiny shiny stuff.

Steve20
02-03-2016, 07:49 AM
There should be changes but no way should we be giving up the chance of a Scottish Cup Semi final. Absolute madness.

mcfly
02-03-2016, 07:50 AM
The first team needs a rest, the only priority is 2nd for two less play off games and promotion. Crazy to think otherwise.

I think we all know who is crazy.....

I repeat ridiculous comments

Pretty Boy
02-03-2016, 07:50 AM

Spot on.

DunblaneHibby
02-03-2016, 07:57 AM
If we don't go up our squad will be stripped. Financially we cannot afford to stay in this league...there is no Sir Tom Farmer to bail us out anymore. Getting up is THE ONLY important thing this season.

I'll stick to my mince when it is lead by logic and common-sense. You stick to the shiny shiny stuff.

Couldn't agree more.
i think we have to finish second to maximise our chances of going up

staunchhibby
02-03-2016, 08:00 AM
I for one will renew mg season ticket whether or not there is a big shiny cup in thd cabinet.

mcfly
02-03-2016, 08:06 AM

U haven't a clue what is going on in Scottish football. Clubs are skint - the money is non existent crowds down. They even want to freeze us out champions league. Who says leagues won't be reconstructed ??

There's not a fan alive who seen hibs win the cup and u want to throw it all away

Crazy post

mcfly
02-03-2016, 08:12 AM
We also have 4 main players out so there will be plenty changes so for the fans panicking about promotion just stop.

I for one want to win the Scottish cup just to say I was there with my dad who has supported the team for over 50 yrs.

J-C
02-03-2016, 08:17 AM
Ox

Gunnarson
Fontaine
Mcgregor

Carmichael
Dylan
Mcginn
Henderson
Boyle

Farid
Dagnall.

We need proper width and pace which Boyle and Carmichael can provide. Big guy up top(Farid) and a willing runner for knock downs (dagnall)

This but swap Dylan for Bartley to make the midfield more solid.

Pete
02-03-2016, 08:18 AM
A trophy is a trophy and the league cup is just as important as the Scottish and I want us to go all out for both of them.

I might have felt differently if we were trying to catch Rangers but that's gone now. Finishing second is now the top priority and we don't need to concentrate our resources to the same extent.

We're still in the driving seat and they are playing catch up. Our dip in league form won't last forever.

JimBHibees
02-03-2016, 08:18 AM
Not to mention battling back from the dead against Hearts, then performing well to win the replay - why go through all that to not give 100% best shot at beating ICT.... crazy,

We were always going to be in the play-offs (like it or not), We have a decent chance of getting to the semi-finals of the SC (and continue unbeaten run against top sides), then another PL team in a final next week.

I don't think the players aren't trying, they are mainly young which brings inconsistency. They've won a lot of 'big' games this season, so do not give up on them yet, in fact get behind them.

We're into March, can win 1 cup, be back at Hampden for a SC semi-final - and the play-offs we'll just have to give it our all when it comes round (Rangers finished 3rd and played in the final play off match, nothing stopping us if it came to that as well).

Stubbs has brought respect back to the club after about 5 honking years. The 1st ever sell-out, getting through against a very good Hearts side (like it or not), a lot of really good players playing the right way.
1 bad week does not undo all the good work so far, as above, STILL 3 fronts to compete on - Who wouldn't have taken that back in August!

GGTTH

Agree with all of that like it or not we have had a great season however there is no doubt this slump is worrying. Complete nonsense about prioritising games get out and beat ICT and then win the final. League and plays offs will take care of themselves. Last season seemed to show the long gap between play off games by finishing 2nd may not be an advantage anyway.

JimBHibees
02-03-2016, 08:19 AM
Couldn't agree more.
i think we have to finish second to maximise our chances of going up

Why we finished 2nd last season and the gap between games didnt help us imo.

flash
02-03-2016, 08:22 AM

Aye because a hammering is what we really need right now.

JimBHibees
02-03-2016, 08:23 AM

There is no evidence to suppose rotating the squad would help in any way, it has been tried in the last week or so and not exactly been a roaring success. We have 3 players out anyway for Sunday so squad guys will get a chance. Hear what you are saying however we arent a good enough team to be able to turn on performances on and off so IMO absolutely no point trying to prioritise any particular competition.

Brightside
02-03-2016, 08:24 AM
Ox

Gunnarson
Fontaine
Mcgregor

Carmichael
Stevenson - replacement for bartley. Same role.
Mcginn
Henderson
Boyle

Farid
Shaw

stantonhibby
02-03-2016, 08:24 AM
This but swap Dylan for Bartley to make the midfield more solid.

Bartley is suspended

Spike Mandela
02-03-2016, 08:25 AM

Finishing 1st was our priority. Finishing 2nd means **** all really. Finishing 2nd last year was a hollow victory as Rangers won the playoff tie.

We are already guaranteed a playoff place so throw everything in to the cup ties imo.

JimBHibees
02-03-2016, 08:26 AM
Ox

Gunnarson
Fontaine
Mcgregor

Carmichael
Bartley
Mcginn
Henderson
Boyle

Farid
Shaw

Bartleys suspended.

J-C
02-03-2016, 08:35 AM
Bartley is suspended

Oh aye so he is, will Dylan be fit? maybe Thomson then.

SlickShoes
02-03-2016, 08:37 AM
I think our performance depends on how ICT play, if they come out to play football and beat us we will have stuck with the diamond and it will probably work and we may win. If they sit in, we will have stuck with the diamond and probably get beat by the odd goal as per the last 3 games.

The personnel doesn't make much difference, if we set up in this diamond again then the strikers won't get good enough service from the wing backs and we will just end up sitting with lots of possession.

J-C
02-03-2016, 08:43 AM
I think our performance depends on how ICT play, if they come out to play football and beat us we will have stuck with the diamond and it will probably work and we may win. If they sit in, we will have stuck with the diamond and probably get beat by the odd goal as per the last 3 games.

The personnel doesn't make much difference, if we set up in this diamond again then the strikers won't get good enough service from the wing backs and we will just end up sitting with lots of possession.

Should have got rid of this bloody tactic last season, slows the game down and clogs the midfield up, pace and width wins games in this division, Hearts did it last season and Rangers are doing it now, why do you think they bought Halliday and got King on loan, width and pace.

Brightside
02-03-2016, 08:52 AM
Bartleys suspended.

changed it... put Stevenson in that role.

Brightside
02-03-2016, 08:53 AM

no lack of service for out strikers. stats show that,.

liamh2202
02-03-2016, 09:19 AM
Oxley
Gray fontaine mcgregor stevenson
Carmichael mginn dylan boyle
Henderson(free role)
Farid

If dylan is still injured drop in hendo and play keetings off farid.

Smartie
02-03-2016, 09:26 AM
Ox

Gunnarson
Fontaine
Mcgregor

Carmichael
Stevenson - replacement for bartley. Same role.
Mcginn
Henderson
Boyle

Farid
Shaw

That's actually a bawhair away from my first choice team.

I prefer 3 at the back with Boyle and Carmichael wide - the diamond with Gray and Stevenson as attacking fullbacks is simply not working.

In the absence of Bartley, Stevenson has to come in and play defensive midfield - I'm a fan of Lewis but I'm not convinced this shape of team suits him out wide.

Shaw coming in for a debut is a bit bold in such a big game. If Farid is anything like fit to start then that's what he should do but you can take your pick from our other totally-out-of-form other strikers at the moment. Cummings, Stokes, Keatings and Dagnall are all equally unimpressive at the moment and have shown nothing in the past few weeks to suggest they deserve to be starting games. They all have decent pedigree though and may just need a goal to get them off and running.

I also know nowt about ICT. If they're a 1 up front job then 3 at the back might not be suitable.

SlickShoes
02-03-2016, 09:32 AM
no lack of service for out strikers. stats show that,.

In some instances yes but some of the crosses in to the box last night were criminal, just a waste of time playing it out there in the first place, straight out for a goal kick or well beyond the back post.

We should be scoring multiple goals per game, but we aren't even coming close, it's really frustrating and there's more than the strikers to blame although a lot of it does fall to them.

Brightside
02-03-2016, 10:34 AM
In some instances yes but some of the crosses in to the box last night were criminal, just a waste of time playing it out there in the first place, straight out for a goal kick or well beyond the back post.

We should be scoring multiple goals per game, but we aren't even coming close, it's really frustrating and there's more than the strikers to blame although a lot of it does fall to them.

i sit in the west and every time I see Gray overlapping...receiving a great ball...having one final defender to go past..and then he stops..waits..then floats an easy to defend ball into the box. He will almost never get to the byline and cut back at pace. Its beyond me and must infuriate the manager.

scoopyboy
02-03-2016, 10:41 AM

The big shiny cup would mean the world to most Hibs supporters, me included.

We don't play another league game for a while so there is nothing to stop us giving both cups full attention in our next two games.

We will be in the play offs so promotion won't be blown because we try in the cups.

I respect you as a poster mate but we disagree on this one.

paddy1875
02-03-2016, 10:47 AM
This game is massive for us. Play as strong a team as possible to get the win. If we win, brings some confidence back leading upto the cup final. If we loose it'll be a 4 game losing streak going into a cup final.

Smartie
02-03-2016, 10:55 AM
i sit in the west and every time I see Gray overlapping...receiving a great ball...having one final defender to go past..and then he stops..waits..then floats an easy to defend ball into the box. He will almost never get to the byline and cut back at pace. Its beyond me and must infuriate the manager.

When he does we look infinitely more dangerous. He did it a lot last season, he's done it at times this season (see the goal in the Hearts replay).

I agree with your point - his decisions when in possession in the final third have blunted our attacking ruthlessness.

Although Farid would probably make more of the floated wafty high crosses…...

Pretty Boy
02-03-2016, 11:40 AM
I posted on another thread that the stats over the last 10 years for teams who fail to get up in their 1st season after being relegated subsequently failing to do so make grim reading. Over half are still trying and another couple took 4 seasons minimum.

I'd say the fanbase will survive another 10, 20 or 50 year wait for the SC, whether it would survive another 2 or 3 seasons in this pish league is another matter. If players need rested to recover for the run in and play offs do it on Sunday.

JimBHibees
02-03-2016, 11:46 AM
Should have got rid of this bloody tactic last season, slows the game down and clogs the midfield up, pace and width wins games in this division, Hearts did it last season and Rangers are doing it now, why do you think they bought Halliday and got King on loan, width and pace.

Halliday isnt a wide player, centre midfield. FIFA has a lot to answer for the amount of tactical genuises. The diamond set us on a run of 1 lose in 27 games or so including beating a number of top league teams. We are suffering from a slump in form and confidence which IMO has little to do with the shape of the team.

California-Hibs
02-03-2016, 11:48 AM

Stripped with the likes of John McGinn still having 3 years left on his contract? McGeough still with 2 years? Etc. aye....ok. Don't believe every Armageddon thing you read. We'd be fine. Far from ideal, that's for sure, and crowds would most definitely drop, but it wouldn't be anywhere near like some make out.

Anyway, never thought I'd see the day I met a Hibs fan brush off the Scottish Cup. Truly remarkable, and infact that remarkable that I think you're bluffing.

Toldo123
02-03-2016, 11:50 AM
Finishing 1st was our priority. Finishing 2nd means **** all really. Finishing 2nd last year was a hollow victory as Rangers won the playoff tie.

We are already guaranteed a playoff place so throw everything in to the cup ties imo.

As well as Rangers being a poor outfit last season, one of the reasons for their 6-1 demolition by motherwell in the playoffs was that they were shattered after having played midweek, weekend, midweek, weekend, midweek, weekend during the playoff series. With both the cup runs this season, the team (particularly the younger guys) seem to be showing signs of fatigue and look close to burned out already. The difference between finishing 2nd and 3rd is a badly needed week off while falkirk would play Raith/QOS. To be blunt if we finish 3rd i really cant see us going up. If we finish 2nd, I feel we have a decent chance

Pete
02-03-2016, 11:56 AM
I posted on another thread that the stats over the last 10 years for teams who fail to get up in their 1st season after being relegated subsequently failing to do so make grim reading. Over half are still trying and another couple took 4 seasons minimum.

I'd say the fanbase will survive another 10, 20 or 50 year wait for the SC, whether it would survive another 2 or 3 seasons in this pish league is another matter. If players need rested to recover for the run in and play offs do it on Sunday.

I don't know where your post is but I'm willing to bet we've a lot more in terms of resources than these other teams who went down. They also never had to deal with the exceptional circumstances we've had to (hearts and rangers one year and a decent rangers the next).

Our gates will drop but they will come back.

duffers
02-03-2016, 11:57 AM
Can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading on this thread. Strongest team out and back to winning ways.

Pete
02-03-2016, 11:57 AM
As well as Rangers being a poor outfit last season, one of the reasons for their 6-1 demolition by motherwell in the playoffs was that they were shattered after having played midweek, weekend, midweek, weekend, midweek, weekend during the playoff series. With both the cup runs this season, the team (particularly the younger guys) seem to be showing signs of fatigue and look close to burned out already. The difference between finishing 2nd and 3rd is a badly needed week off while falkirk would play Raith/QOS. To be blunt if we finish 3rd i really cant see us going up. If we finish 2nd, I feel we have a decent chance

Agree. In the short lifetime of the play offs no team finishing third or fourth has been promoted.

Smartie
02-03-2016, 11:58 AM

The players don't need a rest. They need to regain their form and they need a morale-boosting victory.

That's done by playing our strongest team and winning the game, not by dropping players for a rest.

What our strongest team consists of is a different debate.

Brightside
02-03-2016, 12:00 PM
Stripped with the likes of John McGinn still having 3 years left on his contract? McGeough still with 2 years? Etc. aye....ok. Don't believe every Armageddon thing you read. We'd be fine. Far from ideal, that's for sure, and crowds would most definitely drop, but it wouldn't be anywhere near like some make out.

Anyway, never thought I'd see the day I met a Hibs fan brush off the Scottish Cup. Truly remarkable, and infact that remarkable that I think you're bluffing.

and what are we paying their wages with? If cost cutting is required what are our assets.

greenpaper55
02-03-2016, 12:02 PM
Play a weakened team and we might end up in another replay which is the last thing we need, you can see what happened down south when teams did this in the cup to rest players and ended having to play the "rested" players in a replay !.

J-C
02-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Halliday isnt a wide player, centre midfield. FIFA has a lot to answer for the amount of tactical genuises. The diamond set us on a run of 1 lose in 27 games or so including beating a number of top league teams. We are suffering from a slump in form and confidence which IMO has little to do with the shape of the team.

I meant O'Halloran.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
02-03-2016, 01:03 PM
Ox

Gunnarsson
McGregor
Fontaine

Carmichael
McGinn
Thomson
McGeouch
Stevenson

Boyle
El Alagui

KeithTheHibby
02-03-2016, 01:09 PM
Oxley

Stevenson
Fontaine
McGregor
Gray

Thomson
McGinn
Henderson
McGeoch

Stokes
Dagnall

lord bunberry
02-03-2016, 01:21 PM
Can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading on this thread. Strongest team out and back to winning ways.
:agree: That's the only way to turn our season around. If we win the next 2 games there will be no tiredness and the team and players will be on an all time high. The fans will right behind the team in numbers again.

Lancs Harp
02-03-2016, 01:43 PM
Personally I don't like three at the back. It just means the opposition plays into the space where the fullbacks should be and means the back three are too thinly spread. The wide players in midfield in theory are supposed to track back but generally don't and anyway are midfield players not fullbacks and cant defend.

Cant recall many if any top eams laying with a three at the back. Juve tried it a few years ago but have reverted back to a four and Liverpool have played about a bit with it (no further comment needed) but cant really think of many others off the top of my head.

Its a flawed system IMO.

Lancs Harp
02-03-2016, 01:47 PM
Apologies for the typos on the previous post I tried to edit it but the save key had vanished.

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2016, 02:04 PM
No bother guys I look forward to you all continuing to buy premium season tickets to watch football in one of the worst leagues in Europe. Prob get down to a 6000 average attendance. But ooooh a big shiny cup.Technically it isn't even one of the worst leagues in Scotland.

HibsNutter
02-03-2016, 02:06 PM
Seriously, the mind boggles. 'Play the kids', and get stuffed? My word.

Oxley (as much as I'd prefer otherwise)

Gunnarsson
McGregor
Fontaine
Stevenson

Thomson
McGeouch
McGinn
Henderson

El Alagui
Stokes

Smartie
02-03-2016, 02:30 PM
Personally I don't like three at the back. It just means the opposition plays into the space where the fullbacks should be and means the back three are too thinly spread. The wide players in midfield in theory are supposed to track back but generally don't and anyway are midfield players not fullbacks and cant defend.

Cant recall many if any top eams laying with a three at the back. Juve tried it a few years ago but have reverted back to a four and Liverpool have played about a bit with it (no further comment needed) but cant really think of many others off the top of my head.

Its a flawed system IMO.

Chile played a 3-4-3 at the last World Cup and it worked a treat.

3 at the back can work great, it can be a nightmare.

You have to find a system that suits your players though and I honestly don't know where we stand on that at the moment.

The diamond has served us well but I felt we stumbled across it last season through having a total lack of wingers/ strikers that could get on the end of crosses. It was a means to an end. We've also never had a striker who is fully comfortable playing up front so 4-5-1 has been out. 4-4-2 gets easily overrun in midfield.

Every formation has a weakness and an achilles heel.

I honestly haven't got a clue what the best thing do to with our players is but 3 at the back is every bit as good a suggestion as any other imo.

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2016, 03:02 PM

Its a flawed system IMO.Wtf? That isn't true at all.

Juventus didn't ''try'' it, they won 3 league titles with it under Antonio Conte and still use it under Allegri (also use a 4 depending on opposition or injuries). They have had their best form this season while playing with a back 3. Helps to have probably the best 3 defenders in the world in Barzagli, Chiellini and Bonucci but it is a very relevant formation and one that works very well if you know what you're doing.

Lancs Harp
02-03-2016, 03:14 PM
Wtf? That isn't true at all.

Juventus didn't ''try'' it, they won 3 league titles with it under Antonio Conte and still use it under Allegri (also use a 4 depending on opposition or injuries). They have had their best form this season while playing with a back 3. Helps to have probably the best 3 defenders in the world in Barzagli, Chiellini and Bonucci but it is a very relevant formation and one that works very well if you know what you're doing.

They play more games with a four than a three but regardless of what one team in Europe sometimes plays and that Chile used I in some matches in the last world cup and Liverpool failed miserably with it :greengrin my opinion remains the same, feel free to disagree. Is virtually unused at the top of the game with good reason all IMO of course.

Im a 4-2-3-1 man myself but I dont think we have the players at Hibs for that currently.

ancient hibee
02-03-2016, 03:21 PM

Gunnarsson
McGregor
Fontaine
Stevenson

Thomson
McGeouch
McGinn
Henderson

El Alagui
Stokes

Wouldn't be surprised if that's the team-maybe Gray instead of Gunnarsson.

FromTheCapital
02-03-2016, 03:26 PM
Oxley

Gray
McGregor
Fontaine
Stevenson

McGeouch
McGinn

Boyle
Henderson
Carmichael

Stokes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2016, 03:32 PM
They play more games with a four than a three but regardless of what one team in Europe sometimes plays and that Chile used I in some matches in the last world cup and Liverpool failed miserably with it :greengrin my opinion remains the same, feel free to disagree. Is virtually unused at the top of the game with good reason all IMO of course.

Im a 4-2-3-1 man myself but I dont think we have the players at Hibs for that currently.They absolutely do not, where are you getting this from? They used 4 at the start of this season and won 2 of their first 8 Serie A games. They went back to 3-5-2/5-3-2 and won 15 league games in a row. They have played with 4 at times in Europe for tactical reasons or injuries but their main and most successful formation since their recent success (including an unbeaten Serie A season) started has been 3 center-halfs.

It is used in most games by last seasons Champions league runners up, that alone is enough to tell me it isn't a flawed system, quite the opposite actually, and that with the right personnel it actually works extremely well.

JOD
02-03-2016, 03:37 PM

Gunnarsson
McGregor
Fontaine
Stevenson

Thomson
McGeouch
McGinn
Henderson

El Alagui
Stokes

Yep agree with that---------

lapsedhibee
02-03-2016, 03:38 PM
Falkirk are almost ahead of us.

Curious way to say 'behind'.

Or perhaps I should say a not incurious way to say 'behind'.

coldingham hibs
02-03-2016, 03:46 PM
In the 2007 Cup Final Lewis Stevenson was Man of the Match. I'm sure he played central midfield that day but I could be wrong. If I'm right then would it not be a good idea playing him there on Saturday to see if he can produce a similar performance.

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2016, 03:47 PM
In the 2007 Cup Final Lewis Stevenson was Man of the Match. I'm sure he played central midfield that day but I could be wrong. If I'm right then would it not be a good idea playing him there on Saturday to see if he can produce a similar performance.and who plays left back?

coldingham hibs
02-03-2016, 03:49 PM
and who plays left back?
Gunnerson? (Sorry if spelt wrongly)

Lancs Harp
02-03-2016, 03:50 PM
They absolutely do not, where are you getting this from? They used 4 at the start of this season and won 2 of their first 8 Serie A games. They went back to 3-5-2/5-3-2 and won 15 league games in a row. They have played with 4 at times in Europe for tactical reasons or injuries but their main and most successful formation since their recent success (including an unbeaten Serie A season) started has been 3 center-halfs.

It is used in most games by last seasons Champions league runners up, that alone is enough to tell me it isn't a flawed system, quite the opposite actually, and that with the right personnel it actually works extremely well.

So why isn't it more widely used then?

I'd suggest that Juve have wide midfielders that are more defensively savy. 3 at the back is formation to basically keep control of the central areas at the expense of the wide areas and allow the four in midfield to press higher up the pitch. The problems for me come when a team employs width or drops the ball behind where the fullbacks should be it then stretches the three defenders too thinly, this in theory is countered by dropping one of the central midfielders back into the backline, making it a four anyway but by that time the ball has already gone wide.

Like I say Im not a fan.

Hibbyhaz
02-03-2016, 03:55 PM
Ox

Gunnarson
Fontaine
Mcgregor

Carmichael
Dylan
Mcginn
Henderson
Boyle

Farid
Dagnall.

This is exactly the team I would go for. I can see Cummings starting though, with his record in big games.

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2016, 03:58 PM
So why isn't it more widely used then?

I'd suggest that Juve have wide midfielders that are more defensively savy. 3 at the back is formation to basically keep control of the central areas at the expense of the wide areas and allow the four in midfield to press higher up the pitch. The problems for me come when a team employs width or drops the ball behind where the fullbacks should be it then stretches the three defenders too thinly, this in theory is countered by dropping one of the central midfielders back into the backline, making it a four anyway but by that time the ball has already gone wide.

Like I say Im not a fan.How many teams have 2 good center backs never mind 3? I'd suggest that is a big reason it isn't played much.

Juventus play with fullbacks as the wide men like Hibs do with Gray and Lewis when we play like that in big games. I don't really see how it stretches them too thin, quite the opposite because even if 1 gets pulled wide there is 2 in the middle and the wide player/full back covering.

HibsNutter
02-03-2016, 03:58 PM
In the 2007 Cup Final Lewis Stevenson was Man of the Match. I'm sure he played central midfield that day but I could be wrong. If I'm right then would it not be a good idea playing him there on Saturday to see if he can produce a similar performance.

He played in midfield a lot back then and was comfortable there, I can't remember the last time he played in midfield and it would be hard for him to produce a performance like that again.

erin go bragh
02-03-2016, 04:00 PM
This is exactly the team I would go for. I can see Cummings starting though, with his record in big games.

Cummings is suspended.

GGTTH

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2016, 04:00 PM
Gunnerson? (Sorry if spelt wrongly)We cut in enough without having a right footed player at left back.

Hibbyhaz
02-03-2016, 04:06 PM
Cummings is suspended.

GGTTH
So he is. Oops

Hibbyhaz
02-03-2016, 04:07 PM
He played in midfield a lot back then and was comfortable there, I can't remember the last time he played in midfield and it would be hard for him to produce a performance like that again.
I would rather he played in midfield. He has a much better shot than meets the eye aswell. I, pretty sure the game he played in midfield was the one he scored. He had about 4 good shots in that game. Very unlucky not to score more

lucky
02-03-2016, 04:14 PM
At the start of the season there are 3 things to win. The league and two cups ( not including Petrofact Cup). The league is gone but promotion is still a realistic aim. We've a great chance to win the league cup and a home quarter final in the Scottish. As such we lose more than we win. This year we've got a chance to win cups. I can't understand why any fan would surrender the chance of glory in the cups. If we were to win one or both cups it's will be a very successful season.

number9dream
02-03-2016, 04:15 PM
Is McGeouch going to be fit? No chance of a Fyvie comeback? If not...

Ox

Gunnarsson
McGregor
Fonts
Stevenson

Thomson

Carmichael
MGinn
Henderson
Boyle

Stokes

frazeHFC
02-03-2016, 04:32 PM
I would feel terribly let down if we never fielded our strongest team on Sunday. A cup quarter final so a must win game! Even if we finished ahead of Falkirk we're still going to have to beat them over 2 legs anyway. We should be doing everything we can to win the cups.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-03-2016, 04:47 PM
I genuinely despair at some of this, reading Hibs fans pretend our club is ever in the position to write off the Scottish Cup when we're the quarter final. Mentalists.

Letting the head rule the heart?

I dunno about this internet thing started off connecting people - grand - but the whole gets a bit devalued when the behaviour of the troll and windup merchants take over. Not too sure what folks like that did with their lives before - probably ignored or regular shoeings down the pub.

truehibernian
02-03-2016, 04:54 PM
Way to beat ICT and Ross County is to exploit their full backs - I'd play Boyle on Lewis's flank, Carmichael on Gray's - Stokes or Farid through the middle. Bartley and McGinn central, Henderson allowed to float.

CockneyRebel
02-03-2016, 05:24 PM
Way to beat ICT and Ross County is to exploit their full backs - I'd play Boyle on Lewis's flank, Carmichael on Gray's - Stokes or Farid through the middle. Bartley and McGinn central, Henderson allowed to float.

Bartley suspended!

truehibernian
02-03-2016, 05:58 PM
Bartley suspended!

Sorry, was meaning for one or both games (play Carmichael and Boyle) - I think we'll really struggle this weekend, less so in the final.

Caley are strong and physical in the middle of the park hence I'd try and use width and use the pitch - Gray is worrying me big time these last few games. Looks unfit or carrying a niggle - far too much play is going down his flank hence we need a wide player to let him get a breather in games.

One thing about Carmichael when he was at Queens, he can cross a ball well and find a man - Stokes for me needs to be through the middle as he's a little more clever than Jason. This weekend I'd go with Farid as lone striker - he holds up well and brings others into play.