PDA

View Full Version : Fans last night

hibsbollah
02-03-2016, 06:00 AM
Good reaction by the supporters last night, who have plenty reason to feel miserable (third straight defeat against poor opposition, freezing cold rainy night in Dumfries), but only a few boos and a sizeable crowd went down the front to thank the players (Marvin definitely deserved it after that performance).

On another night we'd have taken all those chances and been coasting at half-time. Instead it's the classic sucker punch and we leave with nothing. The QOS fans I spoke to at the end were embarrassed.

Torto7062
02-03-2016, 06:03 AM
2 wins in the next 2 game's and all will be forgotten.

Onwards and upwards

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

easty
02-03-2016, 06:40 AM

Onwards and upwards

This won't be forgotten unless we're promoted this season.

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2016, 06:49 AM
This won't be forgotten unless we're promoted this season.It wont have mattered if the Huns win every game.

Ronniekirk
02-03-2016, 06:50 AM
Good reaction by the supporters last night, who have plenty reason to feel miserable (third straight defeat against poor opposition, freezing cold rainy night in Dumfries), but only a few boos and a sizeable crowd went down the front to thank the players (Marvin definitely deserved it after that performance).

On another night we'd have taken all those chances and been coasting at half-time. Instead it's the classic sucker punch and we leave with nothing. The QOS fans I spoke to at the end were embarrassed.

Nothing for them to be embarrassed about You need to score a goal to win games and they mugged us because we aren't scoring and aren't taking chances
With key players missing for. I C T game it's an uphill task we face .
But it's an opportunity for others to stake a claim for a Cup Final Place and maybe after three league defeats in a row a cup game is just what we need

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pete
02-03-2016, 06:50 AM
This won't be forgotten unless we're promoted this season.

I would say that it won't be forgotten if we finish third.

easty
02-03-2016, 06:53 AM
It wont have mattered if the Huns win every game.

It will have mattered. I wouldn't be surprised if Rangers did win pretty much all there games now, now that we've removed any kind of pressure on them. A few games ago Rangers would have been feeling us breathing down their neck, we would have seen how they handled that. Now that pressure is gone.

easty
02-03-2016, 06:54 AM
I would say that it won't be forgotten if we finish third.

If we finish third, but start next season in the Prem, I'll forget all about it.

Pete
02-03-2016, 07:06 AM
If we finish third, but start next season in the Prem, I'll forget all about it.

To be honest I don't think thats going to happen as there are too many games to negotiate.

A Scottish cup final shoehorned in there too would be mental.

Borderhibbie76
02-03-2016, 07:06 AM
I was there last night and couldn't bring myself to applaud I'm afraid..thought I never booed. I'm not applauding a team for losing 3 games in row in this league I'm sorry but imo it's unacceptable. And I'm also getting a bit tired of Stubbs same old same old hard luck stories post match too. We could have played till Xmas and not scored last night yet we play continual high balls up to Cummings and left El Alagui on bench??? If he can't play on plastic why list him as sub?? His tactics were shocking last night and for some reason he is escaping criticism?? I feel it's because of the cups...not good enough imo promotion is a must and league wise were are imploding

FromTheCapital
02-03-2016, 07:09 AM
I was there last night and couldn't bring myself to applaud I'm afraid..thought I never booed. I'm not applauding a team for losing 3 games in row in this league I'm sorry but imo it's unacceptable. And I'm also getting a bit tired of Stubbs same old same old hard luck stories post match too. We could have played till Xmas and not scored last night yet we play continual high balls up to Cummings and left El Alagui on bench??? If he can't play on plastic why list him as sub?? His tactics were shocking last night and for some reason he is escaping criticism?? I feel it's because of the cups...not good enough imo promotion is a must and league wise were are imploding

Nothing he can do when the forwards don't their chances. Cummings is far too greedy when we get into good areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
02-03-2016, 07:14 AM
Nothing he can do when the forwards don't their chances. Cummings is far too greedy when we get into good areas.

Mate were u there last night tho?? The whole 2nd half both oxley and McGregor continually pumped high balls up to?? It played right into QOS hands...this must be ok with Stubbs?? It was infuriating to sit n watch...yes we dominated but I think we created 2 clear cut chances the whole 90 mins

FromTheCapital
02-03-2016, 07:21 AM
Mate were u there last night tho?? The whole 2nd half both oxley and McGregor continually pumped high balls up to?? It played right into QOS hands...this must be ok with Stubbs?? It was infuriating to sit n watch...yes we dominated but I think we created 2 clear cut chances the whole 90 mins

I was there yes.

Midfield not showing for the ball is the main problem there. Fyvie and McGeouch are the only two who are really good at linking the defence and midfield so when they're missing, long balls tend to be on the cards sadly.

Borderhibbie76
02-03-2016, 07:28 AM
I was there yes.

Midfield not showing for the ball is the main problem there. Fyvie and McGeouch are the only two who are really good at linking the defence and midfield so when they're missing, long balls tend to be on the cards sadly.

Fair point mate and those 2 are badly missed I agree. But again henderson was blowing oot his erchie from about 60 mins and couldn't believe Stubbs left him on

easty
02-03-2016, 07:31 AM
To be honest I don't think thats going to happen as there are too many games to negotiate.

I wouldn't argue with that really.

I was pretty confident about going up through the playoffs, if we didn't win the league. These recent results show just how much of a lottery being in the play offs could be, wether we finish 2nd or 3rd.

FromTheCapital
02-03-2016, 07:35 AM
Fair point mate and those 2 are badly missed I agree. But again henderson was blowing oot his erchie from about 60 mins and couldn't believe Stubbs left him on

I'd have replaced him with Carmichael on the left after 60 mins and Boyle wide right with Stokes and either Keatings or Dagnall through the middle too.

Borderhibbie76
02-03-2016, 07:37 AM
I'd have replaced him with Carmichael on the left after 60 mins and Boyle wide right with Stokes and either Keatings or Dagnall through the middle too.

Even that numpty Derek Ferguson said on radio last night after game it was clear the formation wasn't working and he found it strange why stubbs hadn't changed it?? Its still a big Stubbsy weakness imo...he fails to make changes quickly enough in games when it's clearly not working

FromTheCapital
02-03-2016, 07:39 AM
Even that numpty Derek Ferguson said on radio last night after game it was clear the formation wasn't working and he found it strange why stubbs hadn't changed it?? Its still a big Stubbsy weakness imo...he fails to make changes quickly enough in games when it's clearly not working

Need to remember that Stubbsy is still pretty inexperienced.
I agree that changes should have been made a lot earlier last night but if the forwards had done their jobs, it would've been a comfortable victory.

Pretty Boy
02-03-2016, 07:43 AM
I wouldn't argue with that really.

I was pretty confident about going up through the playoffs, if we didn't win the league. These recent results show just how much of a lottery being in the play offs could be, wether we finish 2nd or 3rd.

2nd paragraph is where I am.

I was also, quietly, realistic that the play offs were our most likely route up. Until a few weeks ago I was confident we would have enough to scrape through them. After the last 3 games I'm worried. The tiredness is only going to get worse as we play more games, our lack of goals and ability to concede sloppy ones that seems to have reared it's head again lately means we have a huge ask to negotiate a minimum of 4 games in the plays off successfully.

Our current league form of DWLLL with 7 goals conceded is dreadful by any standards.

Borderhibbie76
02-03-2016, 07:51 AM
2nd paragraph is where I am.

I was also, quietly, realistic that the play offs were our most likely route up. Until a few weeks ago I was confident we would have enough to scrape through them. After the last 3 games I'm worried. The tiredness is only going to get worse as we play more games, our lack of goals and ability to concede sloppy ones that seems to have reared it's head again lately means we have a huge ask to negotiate a minimum of 4 games in the plays off successfully.

Our current league form of DWLLL with 7 goals conceded is dreadful by any standards.
Yeah I'm pretty much in the same place...always thought play offs were our most likely route...and was quietly confident but the current loss of form is alarming to say the least. We barely looked like scoring last night despite almost total domination...and that's a real concern

Spike Mandela
02-03-2016, 07:51 AM

Logic suggests the playoffs are set up to favour the Premier league side but gives the 2nd placed Championship side the best chance of going up from the lower division.

Hibs have made a mockery of that theory in the last 2 seasons.

As for a Scottish cup final we are two tough ties away from that being a concern.

et_hibby
02-03-2016, 08:34 AM

Onwards and upwards

Good for you! Mon the Hibs.

SlickShoes
02-03-2016, 08:39 AM

Where are these other nights? how many times in the last 2 years have we been coasting in any game? we struggle to beat many of the teams in this league, we very rarely take these chances.

Kaiserclem
02-03-2016, 12:03 PM

Absolutely spot on! I could not agree more. Prior to the St Johnston game we were starting to see glimpses of this 'long ball' which I feel is because teams know exactly how we will be set up (diamond formation) and is creeping in more and more. Like your good self I was bemused as Cummings is not strong enough for long balls, he can’t get off the ground and it's easy for defenders against him when the ball is played to him in that manner. Stokes was so far wide left also which was no good for us at all. Maybe he got used to that role at Celtic the past couple of years but it doesn’t work for us. Stokes needs to be central. Like you, we then take an eternity to make any changes and it smells of "something might happen here" but never does. 19 mins to go our assault on them and to capitalise on our long balls is.....James Keating’s. Smallest striker we have! Unbelievable, El Alagui left on the bench until 8 mins to go. This is extremely worrying and I am starting to think that tactically we are weak. Keating has played a lot of the season in the hole (out of position), Boyle is best out wide but starts right hand side of a diamond (out of position) Fyvie has played a lot of this season, prior to Bartley being superb, as the holding midfielder (out of position), Carmichael had some appearances at the start of the season, prior to injury and a subs appearance against Aberdeen apart, wide left (out of position.

Last night we needed width in the second half, particularly late on, to get in behind so what do we do, late on we move Boyle to the left hand side (right footed) and put Keating’s wide right (left footed). Unbelievable and really worrying. I really like Stubbs, and how he is not bothered what he say's or what people think. He has done a great jab with us in terms of turning a mess into a proper club and attracted some decent players but he himself, tactically, needs to learn quickly as potentially our season is in freefall and when he goes mouthing in the press, but we cannot back it up on the park, we are becoming a laughing stock.

Phew, rant over!

Borderhibbie76
02-03-2016, 12:13 PM
Absolutely spot on! I could not agree more. Prior to the St Johnston game we were starting to see glimpses of this 'long ball' which I feel is because teams know exactly how we will be set up (diamond formation) and is creeping in more and more. Like your good self I was bemused as Cummings is not strong enough for long balls, he can’t get off the ground and it's easy for defenders against him when the ball is played to him in that manner. Stokes was so far wide left also which was no good for us at all. Maybe he got used to that role at Celtic the past couple of years but it doesn’t work for us. Stokes needs to be central. Like you, we then take an eternity to make any changes and it smells of "something might happen here" but never does. 19 mins to go our assault on them and to capitalise on our long balls is.....James Keating’s. Smallest striker we have! Unbelievable, El Alagui left on the bench until 8 mins to go. This is extremely worrying and I am starting to think that tactically we are weak. Keating has played a lot of the season in the hole (out of position), Boyle is best out wide but starts right hand side of a diamond (out of position) Fyvie has played a lot of this season, prior to Bartley being superb, as the holding midfielder (out of position), Carmichael had some appearances at the start of the season, prior to injury and a subs appearance against Aberdeen apart, wide left (out of position.

Last night we needed width in the second half, particularly late on, to get in behind so what do we do, late on we move Boyle to the left hand side (right footed) and put Keating’s wide right (left footed). Unbelievable and really worrying. I really like Stubbs, and how he is not bothered what he say's or what people think. He has done a great jab with us in terms of turning a mess into a proper club and attracted some decent players but he himself, tactically, needs to learn quickly as potentially our season is in freefall and when he goes mouthing in the press, but we cannot back it up on the park, we are becoming a laughing stock.

Phew, rant over!
Your spot on mate in everything you say. ..this long ball thing is becoming a nonsense...it was all both Oxley McGregor and Fontaine did last night was hump it long to Cummings. Stubbs has done a great rebuilding job...but he now needs to take us that the next step further and get us up...I'm starting to have my doubts if he is capable of this?? Why is a squad of our calibre losing 3 games in a week in this God awful league?? If we weren't doing well in both cups (and that could well change in the next 10 days by the way) this place would be in meltdown right about now.

Stubbs needs to sort this and fast or the pressure will grow...and 3rd season in this league is simply not acceptable...if it happens imo great or not Stubbsy will have failed.

The_Horde
02-03-2016, 12:27 PM
When teams are pressing us that high then long balls do work. We just need to play them into decent areas where we'll win the ball back. We've had a lot of joy out of long balls for Cummings to get in behind in particular this season.

But the passes need to be better and the midfielders need to be able yo anticipate and fight for seconds higher up the pitch. Instead, we've been playing it down the throat of defenders who can head it into a decent area.

Smartie
02-03-2016, 12:43 PM

He's now had 4 transfer windows and (presumably) an adequate budget to bring in personnel who can make form an effective attacking unit (not just strikers but attacking midfielders, wingers, attacking fullbacks, centre-halves who win headers at set-pieces).

Failing to take our chances has led to us taking 4 points from 5 games against Livi, Alloa, Morton, Dumbarton and Queen of the South in the second tier of Scottish football. I think this might the most abject run of results in our history, given the level we're at and the expectations we had going into these games. It was our biggest failing last season.

The complexion changes altogether if we win the next 2 games. We might turn this around, still get promoted and have a successful season.

But sooner or later he needs to carry the can for players not doing their jobs.

lumbo_hfc
02-03-2016, 12:48 PM

Phew, rant over!
Hibs played a 4-3-3 last night. That's why you might have seen stokes constantly on the left. Cummings was in the centre, which is clearly not his position as he is unable to bring the ball in, quite crucial to a 4-3-3 (no doubt Farid will play there Sunday) and Boyle was in his favoured position. And correct me if I'm wrong.... El alagui never got on at all last night.

hibs0666
02-03-2016, 12:57 PM

Who was showing to take short balls from the goalie?

TheReg!
02-03-2016, 01:02 PM
Who was showing to take short balls from the goalie?

You're right mate, no one was showing to take the ball from Oxley, DM and Fyvie when playing usually do, Bartley played well last night however he doesn't show for the ball often.

hibs0666
02-03-2016, 01:09 PM
You're right mate, no one was showing to take the ball from Oxley, DM and Fyvie when playing usually do, Bartley played well last night however he doesn't show for the ball often.

For me, what is happening just now is that we just cannot get our nose in front in games, and players are not showing the same willingness to get on the ball/make a mistake as a result. We really need Stokes to step up and lead us out of this bad spell.

Kaiserclem
02-03-2016, 08:02 PM
Your spot on mate in everything you say. ..this long ball thing is becoming a nonsense...it was all both Oxley McGregor and Fontaine did last night was hump it long to Cummings. Stubbs has done a great rebuilding job...but he now needs to take us that the next step further and get us up...I'm starting to have my doubts if he is capable of this?? Why is a squad of our calibre losing 3 games in a week in this God awful league?? If we weren't doing well in both cups (and that could well change in the next 10 days by the way) this place would be in meltdown right about now.

Stubbs needs to sort this and fast or the pressure will grow...and 3rd season in this league is simply not acceptable...if it happens imo great or not Stubbsy will have failed.

I agree, 3 seasons is unacceptable and a disaster financially. I am with you, I like Stubbs but it's worrying me as he is verging on stubbornness with regard to changes when it isn't working. We need to be scoring relatively early in these games, he can spot a player no doubt but striker wise still searching for that gem. Most managers are right enough but losing to Morton, Dumbarton and QOS in a week is disgraceful. No matter what the sats are, one stat matters and that is zero points from all 3. Come on the cabbage!

truehibernian
02-03-2016, 08:25 PM
The supporters have been excellent this season - vocal, supportive, positive and led to the run we put together. They'll win us the cup too.

Can't fault the support this season one bit - they've definitely been the 12th man (and woman)