PDA

View Full Version : Next two games..

HibsNutter
02-03-2016, 12:38 AM
Inverness at home in the Scottish Cup quarter-final, Ross County at Hampden in the final of the League Cup.

Everyone has an opinion on the clubs main priority, but these two games are now vital for our season. After such a deflating week, managing to turn it around and book ourselves a place in another semi, and then winning a trophy the following weekend would give the whole club such a lift going into the league run in, and could see us kick on again.

On the flip side, if we are to lose both it will have been five defeats on the bounce. The fans will be devastated and the players' confidence will be rock bottom. Falkirk will have the psychological edge over us, and with them playing three league games before we play again, could have put some distance between us in Second place, albeit we will have the games in hand.

I agree that the club needs to be promoted this year, otherwise we will lose a lot of key players and potentially Stubbs, and a lot of the hard work that has gone in over the last eighteen months or so will be ruined. Victory in the next two matches will help us to forget about the frustration of the last week, and give us, and more importantly, the players a timely boost in time for the run-in, second place in the Championship isn't good enough for a team like us, but it is now absolutely essential.

We know we are capable of doing this, we haven't turned into a poor side overnight. We've shown in the big games this season that we can win. I trust that Stubbs, the management team and the players will get it right. Let's pack out Easter Road as much as we can on Sunday, get right behind the team and show them that we haven't written them off as those in the media will.

We can do it.
:flag:

Dashing Bob S
02-03-2016, 12:57 AM
Inverness at home in the Scottish Cup quarter-final, Ross County at Hampden in the final of the League Cup.

Everyone has an opinion on the clubs main priority, but these two games are now vital for our season. After such a deflating week, managing to turn it around and book ourselves a place in another semi, and then winning a trophy the following weekend would give the whole club such a lift going into the league run in, and could see us kick on again.

On the flip side, if we are to lose both it will have been five defeats on the bounce. The fans will be devastated and the players' confidence will be rock bottom. Falkirk will have the psychological edge over us, and with them playing three league games before we play again, could have put some distance between us in Second place, albeit we will have the games in hand.

I agree that the club needs to be promoted this year, otherwise we will lose a lot of key players and potentially Stubbs, and a lot of the hard work that has gone in over the last eighteen months or so will be ruined. Victory in the next two matches will help us to forget about the frustration of the last week, and give us, and more importantly, the players a timely boost in time for the run-in, second place in the Championship isn't good enough for a team like us, but it is now absolutely essential.

We know we are capable of doing this, we haven't turned into a poor side overnight. We've shown in the big games this season that we can win. I trust that Stubbs, the management team and the players will get it right. Let's pack out Easter Road as much as we can on Sunday, get right behind the team and show them that we haven't written them off as those in the media will.

We can do it.
:flag:

Our season rides on those two games. If we lose both then I think it's going to be hard for us to come up, as we'll be in a fully-fledged slump and morale will be rock-bottom.

If we win both, I'd fancy us to kick on from there, clinch second place and go up with two play-off wins.

It could either be a nightmare season from hell, or we are back in dreamland. The stakes are the highest for the club in a long time.

It's not what I would have wanted but I plan to enjoy it.

Hibby 2005
02-03-2016, 01:20 AM
If these games had come along a few weeks ago I would be very confident of being in the semi-final of the Scottish Cup and winning the League Cup but not anymore. Stubbs has lost control of the team, particularly his inability to replace the goalkeeper.

SteveHFC
02-03-2016, 01:23 AM
Sunday's game against Inverness could be the first game i've missed this season (home and away). So it's very likely we'll win. :greengrin

The final will be a day to enjoy regardless of the result. :aok:

JJP
02-03-2016, 01:25 AM
If these games had come along a few weeks ago I would be very confident of being in the semi-final of the Scottish Cup and winning the League Cup but not anymore. Stubbs has lost control of the team, particularly his inability to replace the goalkeeper.

The goalkeeper? So this run of form is mostly down to Oxley? Must have missed all those goals we've been scoring lately...

Hibernia&Alba
02-03-2016, 01:40 AM
We'll find out whether the forthcoming cup games have been something of a distraction for the players, contributing to the recent poor league results. Winning a trophy at Hampden would do wonders for confidence; defeat a severe blow. High stakes now.

Baldy Foghorn
02-03-2016, 02:22 AM
We'll find out whether the forthcoming cup games have been something of a distraction for the players, contributing to the recent poor league results. Winning a trophy at Hampden would do wonders for confidence; defeat a severe blow. High stakes now.

It damn well shouldn't have been, 100% focus had to be given to every game............

Onion
02-03-2016, 07:02 AM
Will define the season and Stubbs' immediate future. Win them and these last 3 horror shows will be just a blip, lose them and it will be another spectacular collapse that many of Stubbs predecessors would be proud of.

Instead of being "a bonus" as Stubbs likes to call them, these cup games are now high stakes, must-win games for club and manager - both against very good Premiership teams.

What a terrible position Hibs have got themselves into in just 6 days.

bigwheel
02-03-2016, 07:14 AM
Disagree with the OP. ICT game has no real defining moment. The cup final will I guess ...but the games that will define our season will be in the play offs. Win those it's an amazing season , lose and it's a failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aldo
02-03-2016, 07:30 AM

Keeper -
If you want to point or portion blame Stokes, Cummings and the other Strikers failed miserably last nite and their inability to take a chance cost us last nite.... Not the keeper

Hibby 2005
02-03-2016, 08:34 AM
Keeper -
If you want to point or portion blame Stokes, Cummings and the other Strikers failed miserably last nite and their inability to take a chance cost us last nite.... Not the keeper

The rut started with Oxley shipping goals.

marinello59
02-03-2016, 08:47 AM

It's a team game, every single one of them on the pitch during the last three games share the blame. Our manager needs to up his game as well. We will get out of this but not by singling out one person to scapegoat. It's time for unity.

Steve20
02-03-2016, 10:25 AM

Not the players inability to score against Livingston and Morton then?

Frazerbob
02-03-2016, 10:29 AM

12-1 in shots last night yet nobody is throwing the strikers under the bus in the way Oxley has been.

Shrekko
02-03-2016, 10:38 AM
12-1 in shots last night yet nobody is throwing the strikers under the bus in the way Oxley has been.

It's a shame Oxley was thrown under the bus, but thankfully it found a way through him ;-)

hibbysam
02-03-2016, 10:39 AM

Or Cummings missing an open goal from 6 yards at 0-0 in a 3-0 defeat to Morton? When we were well on top and a goal would've killed Morton's confidence.

Thecat23
02-03-2016, 10:49 AM

Behave eh!

rcarter1
02-03-2016, 11:01 AM
Or Cummings missing an open goal from 6 yards at 0-0 in a 3-0 defeat to Morton? When we were well on top and a goal would've killed Morton's confidence.

He was fouled, and it should have been a pen. Not saying he isn't off the boil a bit, but that chance shouldn't be used against him.

Aldo
02-03-2016, 11:04 AM
The rut started with Oxley shipping goals. Yes but it's clear we've not scored enough goals so it's that Oxleys fault. By all accounts it was the forwards who failed in their part last night but as others have alluded its a team effort. Was it Oxleys fault we lost last night.

What I will say is if I could of got onto the net last night the strikers would of got it.

hibbysam
02-03-2016, 11:10 AM
He was fouled, and it should have been a pen. Not saying he isn't off the boil a bit, but that chance shouldn't be used against him.

We'll move onto another one then, the chance from 2 yards, in a 0-0 draw with Livingston where, had we won, would've closed the gap on Rangers to 6 points with a game in hand...

rcarter1
02-03-2016, 12:08 PM
We'll move onto another one then, the chance from 2 yards, in a 0-0 draw with Livingston where, had we won, would've closed the gap on Rangers to 6 points with a game in hand...

hes no on form, granted, but I also remember him scoring in the derby! Anyway we aren't scoring enough goals so I agree with you really.

hibbysam
02-03-2016, 12:12 PM
hes no on form, granted, but I also remember him scoring in the derby! Anyway we aren't scoring enough goals so I agree with you really.

He did indeed score in the derby, he also missed a sitter in the same derby. Like all the strikers, they need a boot up the erchie. They need to start running at defenders, the amount of times JC, who will be a top player one day, and I like an awful lot, will get in a great position in one of the channels, but stop to cut onto his left peg which breaks the whole move down is frightening. I don't expect him to be "good" on his right foot, I only expect him to back himself to go on the outside and potentially have a better opportunity to cut the ball back or have a dig. Same goes for our midfielders, 20/25 yards out, have a strike, 6 or 7 times out of 10 you'll hit the target and make the keeper work with the ability our players have.

02-03-2016, 01:03 PM
Our season rides on those two games. If we lose both then I think it's going to be hard for us to come up, as we'll be in a fully-fledged slump and morale will be rock-bottom.

If we win both, I'd fancy us to kick on from there, clinch second place and go up with two play-off wins.

It could either be a nightmare season from hell, or we are back in dreamland. The stakes are the highest for the club in a long time.

It's not what I would have wanted but I plan to enjoy it.

This. Winning on sunday is a must, we must get the confidence back up instead of going into a cup final on the back of 3 straight defeats. Winning a cup would lift the whole club and get the morale up again which could help us going forward in our pursuit of promotion.

Losing on Sunday then in the final could see us completely crumble in the league.

My_Wife_Camille
02-03-2016, 01:05 PM
Promotion is the priority and we can't do anything about that for a few weeks. Time to just sit back, relax and enjoy 2 big Cup games before getting back to business

Pete
02-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Promotion is the priority and we can't do anything about that for a few weeks. Time to just sit back, relax and enjoy 2 big Cup games before getting back to business

Well said :thumbsup: