PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen LGBT Supporters Club

hibby rae
01-03-2016, 10:53 AM
Aberdeen have formed a LGBT supporters group for their fans, apparently the first club in Scotland to do so. I'd be glad for Hibs to follow suit.

Did we not have a group called 'The Gay Gordons' a few years back? I know this wasn't formed by the club but I don't think most supporters groups are, anyone know what happened to them?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14310496.Aberdeen_FC_launch_Scotland_s_first_LGBT_ supporters_group/

GreenLake
01-03-2016, 11:12 AM
The LA Galaxy have an LGBT player who works hard to change attitudes on and off the pitch. He is very popular with the fans.

http://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2015/06/10/join-robbie-rogers-and-la-galaxy-june-24th-lgbt-pride-night

Ozyhibby
01-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Ours would be huge because [emoji445]'all the hibees are gay'[emoji445]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speedy_gonzales
01-03-2016, 11:21 AM
The "Dandy Dons" indeed, fair play to them!

Billy Whizz
01-03-2016, 11:26 AM
Sorry what's LGBT

Hibernia&Alba
01-03-2016, 11:27 AM
Good work by Aberdeen. Homophobia is still prevalent in the macho world of professional sport, and this is good to hear about.

Beefster
01-03-2016, 11:27 AM
Sorry what's LGBT

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT

Hibrandenburg
01-03-2016, 11:28 AM
Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender.

Smartie
01-03-2016, 11:32 AM
I didn't know you got gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender sheep for the Aberdeen fans to pump.

I guess that's the modern, liberal Scotland for you.

The_Horde
01-03-2016, 11:38 AM
I thought the whole idea of being equal was to be just that, equal. So, in trying to obtain equality and be like everyone else, they want to segregate themselves into an LGBT club? Can we not all just be hibs fans?

Makes no sense to me. I personally couldn't care less who the person next to me fancies or how they dress. It's none of my business. If you support hibs you're good enough for me.

CropleyWasGod
01-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Given that the current accepted term is LGBTI, were I an "I", I'd be screaming "discrimination" at this.......:cb

Hibernia&Alba
01-03-2016, 11:44 AM
I thought the whole idea of being equal was to be just that, equal. So, in trying to obtain equality and be like everyone else, they want to segregate themselves into an LGBT club? Can we not all just be hibs fans?

Makes no sense to me.

I don't think it's about segregation but recognition/acceptance. I'm sure its members will still play a full role amongst the wider Aberdeen support, but now also have a group where they are certain to feel welcome. It will also help break down prejudicial barriers and literally give LGBT fans a voice.

Ozyhibby
01-03-2016, 11:44 AM
Given that the current accepted term is LGBTI, were I an "I", I'd be screaming "discrimination" at this.......:cb

What's the 'I'? Maybe I am one?

CropleyWasGod
01-03-2016, 11:45 AM

Intersex.

(You hoped I would say "Infatuated by HSL", didn't you?)

Ozyhibby
01-03-2016, 11:46 AM

Makes no sense to me. I personally couldn't care less who the person next to me fancies or how they dress. It's none of my business. If you support hibs you're good enough for me.

We have a disabled Hibs supporters club. Should we get shot of that?

The_Horde
01-03-2016, 11:46 AM
I don't think it's about segregation but recognition/acceptance. I'm sure its members will still play a full role amongst the wider Aberdeen support, but now also have a group where they are certain to feel welcome. It will also help break down prejudicial barriers and literally give LGBT fans a voice.

Can't they just feel accepted in the other groups? I know of at least 2 hibs fans who are gay and are accepted as one of our own in supporters clubs.

Ozyhibby
01-03-2016, 11:49 AM
Intersex.

Just googled it, I'm not one. Feel a bit left out. [emoji3]

Intersex was my best shot as well, I dress too scruffy for any of the other four to let me in.

Hibernia&Alba
01-03-2016, 11:50 AM
Can't they just feel accepted in the other groups? I know of at least 2 hibs fans who are gay and are accepted as one of our own in supporters clubs.

I can't claim to speak for them regarding why they have decided to set up the group. Perhaps some Aberdeen fans presently don't feel particularly welcome? I dunno, but my initial reaction is that such a group could play a positive role in what is still a homophobic culture in the game.

liamh2202
01-03-2016, 11:53 AM

100%

The_Horde
01-03-2016, 11:54 AM

Different situation IMO. Disabled supporters club is a great idea as they can arrange the things they need. Whether that be seating, entry systems to games or whatever.

jacomo
01-03-2016, 11:55 AM

And the trans community often feel resentment at being added onto LGB groups in this way.

A minefield, I tell you!

CropleyWasGod
01-03-2016, 11:56 AM

"They" assumes that every gay person has the same experience.

For every gay man or woman that feels accepted in their environment, there are many more who don't. Clearly, the people who set up this club feel that there is a need..for whatever reason.... otherwise they wouldn't have bothered.

Unless one is, or has been, a member of a marginalised community, i don't think one can easily identify with the issues.

The_Horde
01-03-2016, 12:01 PM
"They" assumes that every gay person has the same experience.

For every gay man or woman that feels accepted in their environment, there are many more who don't. Clearly, the people who set up this club feel that there is a need..for whatever reason.... otherwise they wouldn't have bothered.

Unless one is, or has been, a member of a marginalised community, i don't think one can easily identify with the issues.

Yes. They as in the LGBT supporters. See that, they're now in a group. So they become a they. Just as the disabled supporters club would be described as they. Just as the four in hand supporters club would be "They" if I was describing them.

HiBremian
01-03-2016, 12:01 PM

Good on you, mate. But not everyone in the game is as enlightened, and one of the main jobs of such groups is to tackle homophobia in Scottish football generally. Obviously the sheep are preparing for the imminent arrival of the new club from Bigotbrox.

Salt N Sauzee
01-03-2016, 12:03 PM

They are two completely different things. Bizarre shout :confused:

Hibernia&Alba
01-03-2016, 12:05 PM
Who's going to be the first to say "it's political correctness gone mad"? :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
01-03-2016, 12:06 PM

Makes no sense to me.

Yeh, that's kind of my take on it too. But its in the nature of folk, even if they are all of the same mind, to gather into sub groups within the larger body ... Hibs Polish fans are an example I suppose. I don't see any harm in it myself so long as it doesn't cause any division in the support, I cant see any reason why it would to be honest.

In fact ...... if a LGBT group or a group identifying itself as Hibs Polish fans attracts more support to the club from these communities more power to them.

For my part .... each to their own, in day to day life I couldn't give a rats ass how people choose to live theirs, what sexuality they are, what colour, what religion .... even less when I go to watch Hibs, we are all just Hibbies end of.

Apart from folk in HSL of course ...... splitters :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
01-03-2016, 12:06 PM
Sorry what's LGBT

Like a BLT but with gherkins.

Craig_HFC
01-03-2016, 12:07 PM

Indecisive.

The_Horde
01-03-2016, 12:10 PM
Yeh, that's kind of my take on it too. But its in the nature of folk, even if they are all of the same mind, to gather into sub groups within the larger body ... Hibs Polish fans are an example I suppose. I don't see any harm in it myself so long as it doesn't cause any division in the support, I cant see any reason why it would to be honest.

In fact ...... if a LGBT group or a group identifying itself as Hibs Polish fans attracts more support to the club from these communities more power to them.

For my part .... each to their own, in day to day life I couldn't give a rats ass how people choose to live theirs, what sexuality they are, what colour, what religion .... even less when I go to watch Hibs, we are all just Hibbies end of.

Apart from folk in HSL of course ...... splitters :greengrin

You're probably right. And I won't stand in their way should hibs try it, I just think it's a bit far as most clubs' fans are generally accepting. I can only think of 2 in Scotland who wouldn't be.

Lago
01-03-2016, 12:11 PM
Intersex.

Going to show my age here, what is intersex?

CropleyWasGod
01-03-2016, 12:12 PM
You're probably right. And I won't stand in their way, I just think it's a bit far as most clubs' fans are accepting
I can only think of 2 in Scotland who wouldn't be.

I assume that you're talking about Rangers and.... Celtic? Hearts?.

How can you say that?

CropleyWasGod
01-03-2016, 12:13 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex

Pete
01-03-2016, 12:15 PM

I Googled it and I still don't know.

Hibernia&Alba
01-03-2016, 12:17 PM

Hermaphrodite? :dunno:

Lago
Thanks for that, the stigmatising term is the one I knew. It was all much simpler in my youth.

The_Horde
I assume that you're talking about Rangers and.... Celtic? Hearts?.

How can you say that?

Its hard to trust 100,000+ bigots.

NAE NOOKIE
01-03-2016, 12:18 PM

"Having carnal relations with certain people from Milan"

Hibernia&Alba
01-03-2016, 12:18 PM

I was right, though it seems the term hermaphrodite is considered offensive...........political correctness gone mad :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
01-03-2016, 12:22 PM
I was right, though it seems the term hermaphrodite is considered offensive...........political correctness gone mad :greengrin

Hermaphrodites can away & **** themselves :greengrin

Lago
01-03-2016, 12:22 PM
Good one, took me a bit to work it out.:greengrin

lucky
01-03-2016, 12:33 PM
If it makes them feel more accepted at football then it's a great idea. It will also give them a voice on issues that directly effect their community with regards to Aberdeen football club. Moves like this will hopefully help remove homophobic behaviour at football

The_Horde
01-03-2016, 12:34 PM
If it makes them feel more accepted at football then it's a great idea. It will also give them a voice on issues that directly effect their community with regards to Aberdeen football club. Moves like this will hopefully help remove homophobic behaviour at football

Better watch. You can't say "them"

Hibernia&Alba
01-03-2016, 12:36 PM
Hermaphrodites can away & **** themselves :greengrin

:hilarious

CropleyWasGod
01-03-2016, 12:48 PM
Its hard to trust 100,000+ bigots.

You didn't actually say which teams.

Where's your evidence to suggest that the followers of one team would be more or less accepting of sexual minorities than others?

Oscar T Grouch
01-03-2016, 01:35 PM
I am pretty sure I read somewhere around the turn of the millennium there was a Hibs gay supporters club being set up. This story came about because of Kenny Millar being a bit of a gay pin up at the time. I am sure it was in the daily record, but I maybe wrong. So looks like Hibs were first to this one too :wink:

Edit, found it, was first published in 2000

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/NICE+TACKLE+KENNY%3B+Top+striker+Miller+is+a+pin-up+for+gay+Hibs...-a060882373

MyJo
01-03-2016, 01:56 PM
Like a BLT but with gherkins.

I laughed a bit louder than I care to admit to this :greengrin

silverhibee
01-03-2016, 02:21 PM
You're probably right. And I won't stand in their way should hibs try it, I just think it's a bit far as most clubs' fans are generally accepting. I can only think of 2 in Scotland who wouldn't be.

http://www.yorkcityfootballclub.co.uk/news/article/players-to-wear-football-v-homophobia-shirts-this-weekend-2952476.aspx

The_Horde
01-03-2016, 02:23 PM
You didn't actually say which teams.

Where's your evidence to suggest that the followers of one team would be more or less accepting of sexual minorities than others?

Wheres your evidence to suggest they wouldn't?

jacomo
01-03-2016, 02:30 PM
Better watch. You can't say "them"

You really are on a hiding to nothing on this thread.

You don't see a need for this group. You've made your point. Let it go. Clearly, some Aberdeen fans did see a need to set up this group and, who knows, maybe some at Hibs will feel the same way.

CropleyWasGod
01-03-2016, 02:33 PM
Wheres your evidence to suggest they wouldn't?

It was you who made the initial accusation, albeit you haven't been clear about the teams you mean, therefore it's for you to back that up.

I would say that there is no evidence to support or deny your position. Can you honestly say that St.Johnstone, for example, are more welcoming to gay men and women than Annan Athletic?

Are you talking about Rangers and Celtic? If you're simply saying that, because a large part of their support might be pseudo-religious bigots, they must be homophobes as well, that's quite a leap.

TAHibby
01-03-2016, 02:51 PM
"I can't relate to those individuals but i don't see why it's needed"

HappyHanlon
01-03-2016, 02:55 PM
2 teams eh....probably those pesky Highland clubs

Pretty Boy
01-03-2016, 04:38 PM
I'd imagine that walking into a group of guys in what can still be a very macho environment and being openly gay could still be quite an intimidating experience. You only have to listen to some of the 'banter' thrown about before, during and after games (as well as away from football as well I hasten to add) to see why that may be the case.

If a supporters club in which the majority of members are gay helps generate additional support for the game in Scotland then it is to be welcomed imo.

matty_f
01-03-2016, 04:42 PM

I think it's when you like sex:

"Are you intersex?"
"Aye, it's barrie."

CropleyWasGod
01-03-2016, 05:24 PM
"I can't relate to those individuals but i don't see why it's needed"
Is that from a song?

Either way, it is apposite in this case. So often the opinions of the marginalised get ignored because the majority think they know better .

Soapbox smiley.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

stantonsboots
01-03-2016, 05:40 PM
I can't claim to speak for them regarding why they have decided to set up the group. Perhaps some Aberdeen fans presently don't feel particularly welcome? I dunno, but my initial reaction is that such a group could play a positive role in what is still a homophobic culture in the game.personally I think Edinburgh is ahead of the rest of Scotland regarding these issue's? we have had a large gay community for years now and in the most part nobody bats an eyelid?

Tinribs
01-03-2016, 06:01 PM
Should we have a Cisgender club too?

CropleyWasGod
01-03-2016, 06:07 PM
Should we have a Cisgender club too?
Most of our clubs are predominantly cisgender, I'd wager [emoji6]

NadeAteMyLunch!
01-03-2016, 07:09 PM
I am pretty sure I read somewhere around the turn of the millennium there was a Hibs gay supporters club being set up. This story came about because of Kenny Millar being a bit of a gay pin up at the time. I am sure it was in the daily record, but I maybe wrong. So looks like Hibs were first to this one too :wink:

Edit, found it, was first published in 2000

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/NICE+TACKLE+KENNY%3B+Top+striker+Miller+is+a+pin-up+for+gay+Hibs...-a060882373

I remember that article from the time, however forgot how abysmal it was. It was lame Hearts fans attempting 'banter' in the run up to the weekends derby, that was pretty much proven was it not?

Gay Hibs fan who would only go by the name of 'Liam' said "check out www.gayhibs.co.uk in a few weeks for your closet Hibees. Kenny Miller has the best legs".

Surprise surprise, that webpage never went live and the supporters group that had 'already been formed' never materialised. Says it all about the average yam that they think that it banter. Is that where the equally banterous 'All the Hibees are gay' song stems from? Fannies.

Dashing Bob S
01-03-2016, 07:17 PM

Never go near them. I'm more AC/DC Milan.

KWJ
01-03-2016, 07:36 PM
Watched a great documentary on American Samoa the other day, it's on netflix called Next Goal Wins.

They have a player that's transgender and she's well accepted in the team. Feisty tackler too!

GreenLake
01-03-2016, 07:51 PM
Should include solosexual, metrosexual and asexual supporters.

speedy_gonzales
01-03-2016, 07:56 PM
Should include solosexual, metrosexual and asexual supporters.
Solosexuals? Now there's a bunch of w**kers!

Stokesy's on fire
02-03-2016, 12:55 AM
Andrew considine will be pleased!

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-03-2016, 09:58 AM
we have had a large gay community for years now and in the most part nobody bats an eyelid?

Is this a collection of large gay people or a large collection of gay people?

Rasta_Hibs
02-03-2016, 10:02 AM
Will they sit in their own section of the ground and have rainbow seats?

Keith_M
02-03-2016, 05:53 PM
As it's Aberdeen, shouldn't it be the LGBT-SS?

Leith Green
02-03-2016, 06:03 PM
Dont quite get why sexual orientation should come into a football supporters club??

Hibbyhaz
02-03-2016, 06:06 PM
Seems like it's adding more segregation :confused:

CropleyWasGod
02-03-2016, 06:10 PM
Seems like it's adding more segregation :confused:
How so?

There isn't a separate section in Pittodrie for LGBTs, if that's what you mean [emoji6]

marinello59
02-03-2016, 06:18 PM
Dont quite get why sexual orientation should come into a football supporters club??

Maybe having a visible section of the support identifying themselves will make other fans think twice about blasting out homophobic songs. Hopefully.

CropleyWasGod
02-03-2016, 06:23 PM
Maybe having a visible section of the support identifying themselves will make other fans think twice about blasting out homophobic songs. Hopefully.
Indeed.

I didn't realise that one of the organisers is Scott Rennie, who has his own experiences of entrenched homophobia. As a gay man and a minister, he'll have his own ideas for building bridges.

Leith Green
02-03-2016, 06:30 PM

Fair doos. The unfortunate thing is that the kind of people likely to cause offence to minority groups are probably too ignorant and intolerant to give a toss.