PDA

View Full Version : Promotion V Cups

Gatecrasher
01-03-2016, 08:27 AM
There has been a bit of discussion on some threads about the importance of the cups against the need to get promoted. I thought I would set up a poll to see what the general .net consensus was.

Hibernian Verse
01-03-2016, 08:32 AM
Cups if thats the two choices. Realistically we'll get promoted and never win the league in a million years anyway.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Gatecrasher
01-03-2016, 08:37 AM
My personal opinion is that we go for the League cup and promotion, I don't think we should pursue the Scottish Cup much further as we will have play offs to prepare for. I appreciate others will think differently though.

SlickShoes
01-03-2016, 08:41 AM
We should be focused and motivated to win the league cup since we are in the final, this shouldn't really interfere with promotion at all.

After the league cup final our focus should be on getting promoted, the Scottish Cup is what it is, I've resigned myself to never winning it so I'm not really fussed how we do, if we get put out then it's just another year of not winning it.

manx hibee
01-03-2016, 08:53 AM
I hope we win the league cup, I think 2nd is where we will end up and fear Falkirk more than any of the premier teams we could meet.
As for the Scottish I like many am resigned to never seeing us win it in my lifetime (tin hat on)
But I still love my team and always will
GGTTH
IN STUBBS WE MUST TRUST

Onceinawhile
01-03-2016, 09:03 AM
Any two out of three and I'll be a happy chap.

Golden Bear
01-03-2016, 09:11 AM
The option "Promotion should be the only goal" should be replaced by "Promotion is the number one goal for this Season" - then I'd vote for that option.

lyonhibs
01-03-2016, 09:15 AM
The option "Promotion should be the only goal" should be replaced by "Promotion is the number one goal for this Season" - then I'd vote for that option.

:agree: :agree:

Waxy
01-03-2016, 09:22 AM
To not want all three is daft. Are some people actually wanting us to lose next sunday? This place is mad.

Sir David Gray
01-03-2016, 09:25 AM
We need to get promoted.

Everything else is secondary.

Greenworld
01-03-2016, 09:27 AM
Couldn't give a monkeys about the cups this year and I think the effort we have put into them has cost us in points and injurys

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

SlickShoes
01-03-2016, 09:31 AM
To not want all three is daft. Are some people actually wanting us to lose next sunday? This place is mad.

I don't want us to lose but I'm not going to let another Scottish cup defeat bother me that much, we get one every season so we should be used to it by now.

trev the hat
01-03-2016, 09:35 AM
We need to get promoted.

^^^^^^^^^^

Michael
01-03-2016, 09:42 AM
I don't understand why some people think we should not give 100% to win the cups. You remember a cup win for the rest of your life...but in 50 years time will anyone care if season 2016/17 was played in the first or second tier? Not a chance.

paddy1875
01-03-2016, 09:55 AM
No matter what game it is I want hibs to win. Promotion and the league cup would be great and is very much achievable, it won't be easy but we can do it.

We're still a few games off possibly winning the trophy that has eluded us for many years, but I think we shouldn't prioritise any single competition this year. We're still in both cups so should be aiming to win them both.

Just win the games that come at us and see where it takes us.

Iv never understood when managers and players before a season starts say things like 'we're looking for top 6 or a European slot'. You should start every season looking to win everything.

I know people will think I'm mental but positivity breads confidence which brings belief. Look at Leicester city.

IberianHibernian
01-03-2016, 09:56 AM
Getting to SC semi would virtually guarantee equivalent of 20,000 gate ( pooled gate receipts split between 4 clubs ) plus TV money . If we win semi , even more money in . So apart from prestige , very good financial reasons for giving both cups as much importance as league games .

Thecat23
01-03-2016, 09:59 AM
Delighted to make the final and now want to win the cup, but going up is the main priority for me.

Geo_1875
01-03-2016, 10:01 AM
I don't understand why some people think we should not give 100% to win the cups. You remember a cup win for the rest of your life...but in 50 years time will anyone care if season 2016/17 was played in the first or second tier? Not a chance.

I won't be around in 50 years time to care but in 3-4 years time I will care where we play next season. Yes cup wins are great but if we don't get promoted pronto we might never win another one.

Geo_1875
01-03-2016, 10:03 AM
Getting to SC semi would virtually guarantee equivalent of 20,000 gate ( pooled gate receipts split between 4 clubs ) plus TV money . If we win semi , even more money in . So apart from prestige , very good financial reasons for giving both cups as much importance as league games .

That's short term income. We're losing more playing in the Championship.

GreensesArab
01-03-2016, 10:16 AM
Winning the Scottish Cup is most important to me. We need to bury the hoodoo which has become a millstone around our neck. And I know we shouldn't let Jambo taunts get to us, but it f*****g bugs me that they have this ammunition to fire at us. To win the Cup would generate triumph and joy not seen in Leith...well, ever, probably. And I think it would give us a Europa League entry??

I would therefore take that and romp away with the Championship next season...Cup winners, Europe and topping the league.

Alex Trager
01-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Any two out of three and I'll be a happy chap.

This.

Although if we get promo alone id be happy.

Otherwise the two cups.
Or all three :)

CallumLaidlaw
01-03-2016, 10:28 AM
Hmmm, the thought of another season in this league with Falkirk/Killie/Hamilton being our biggest game of the season is extremely depressing. But my greatest memory as a Hibs fan? the 2007 league cup final. How about we take one game at a time. Win on Sunday and we have another trip to Hampden. How can we not want that!

Just Jimmy
01-03-2016, 10:31 AM
We're Hibernian FC. We have no right to turn our noses up at any cup opportunity. This league is utter pish and we should expect to be out it within 2 years. If we don't go up the club have failed. A cup (or 2) would soften the blow and we could go again next year but it would be utterly **** to be here next year.

Steve20
01-03-2016, 10:33 AM
Scottish Cup win
Promotion
League Cup win.

In that order.

kaimendhibs
01-03-2016, 10:37 AM
Of course promotion is vital, anyone can see that! BUT the importance of cup wins should never be underestimated. Unfortunately for me I had no one to take me to the 1972 league cup final against Celtic but the pictures on tv and in the papers of the open top parade, the players with the cup, cemented my life long love of the Hibees. Who has forgotten the scenes in 2007💚? People talk about fans lost in this division, how about the future generations staying/becoming loyal supporters with a cup win. In short, we can't afford to take any competition lightly.

lord bunberry
01-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Some people seem to think if we win the cup we can't also be promoted. If the next 2 games don't go well we might be needing to win the cup to kick start our season again. Winning every game is the priority and playing our strongest team every week is the way to go about it.

Frazerbob
01-03-2016, 10:38 AM
If I was offered 3 more wins this season, all in the Scottish Cup, I would be delighted as that would mean my old man (and everyone else) would finally see us win the bloody thing!

kaimendhibs
01-03-2016, 11:45 AM
Only need to look at the where are you travelling to the final from thread to see the importance of the cups

LaMotta
01-03-2016, 11:46 AM
How anyone can select "Promotion should be the only Goal" is beyond me.

Its ok to want all three!

Captain Trips
01-03-2016, 11:50 AM
Watching Hibs since 1988 2 cup wins, fantastic day out and still in memory, for me if we only got the League cup I would still be happy.

I believe though we are more than capable of promotion and cup win. Cmon let's do it

HibsNutter
01-03-2016, 12:01 PM
Winning the Scottish and League Cups would mean only an additional two games - Scottish cup semi and possible final - to our season from this point, provided we finish second. Of course we should go for all three. Every competition should be taken seriously, except that Petrofac nonsense, as if we take the Scottish lightly and be knocked out, we could seriously regret it if things don't go our way the following Sunday or in the Play-offs.

erin go bragh
01-03-2016, 12:03 PM
I'd be as happy as a dog with two clocks if we could get promoted and win a cup . We're cursed in the Scottish cup.
I personally felt more joy winning the cup in 07 than I did when we won promotion/league in 98

GGTTH

Waxy
01-03-2016, 12:20 PM
We cannot seriously get to another Scottish cup final and lose it. So by my logic we are two matches away from winning the Scottish cup.

Lancs Harp
01-03-2016, 12:49 PM
obviously promotion and playing top flight football is vital to the future well being of the club.

Having said that though when you have been in existence since 1875 and won 5 cups we shouldn't be passing any opportunity for possible glory by. Whats bigger than actually winning something of note?

So f I had a gun to my head I'd take the cup glory myself and the memories and experiences that will live with us all forever.

Andy.1875
01-03-2016, 12:53 PM
Hopefully promotion and Scottish Cup, but if I had to choose one, then it would be the cup.

Edson Arantes
01-03-2016, 12:55 PM
We need to get promoted.

THAT is the correct answer.

Edson Arantes
01-03-2016, 12:56 PM
Hopefully promotion and Scottish Cup, but if I had to choose one, then it would be the cup.

Why? :confused:

That's madness.

:gwa:

Brightside
01-03-2016, 12:57 PM
I am astounded at people saying they would rather have the Cup than promotion. Its mental.

Edson Arantes
01-03-2016, 12:59 PM
I am astounded at people saying they would rather have the Cup than promotion. Its mental.

:thumbsup:

Lancs Harp
01-03-2016, 01:04 PM
THAT is the correct answer.

It isn't. Its your opinion http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/taunt%20smiley.gif

Edson Arantes
01-03-2016, 01:08 PM
It isn't. Its your opinion http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/taunt%20smiley.gif

Yep :na na:

Lancs Harp
01-03-2016, 01:11 PM
Yep :na na:

Anyway it wont matter when we get all three :greengrin

:flag:

Septimus
01-03-2016, 01:23 PM
My wants are few. I want us to win the next game, and the next game, and the next game ad infinitum.

However, if we can't have that (and it seems unlikely) I think that we have clearly showed this season the stupidity of the league set up and that we could hold our own in the so called upper tier.

Whatever, good luck to the team tonight and please a referee who should not have gone to Specsavers.

MyJo
01-03-2016, 01:29 PM
originally posted this in the private members forum but sums up my feelings about this thread so may as well post it again :greengrin

I seriously can't believe that anyone would sacrifice winning a cup just to get back to the premiership this season.

In the last 30 years the best times i've had as a Hibs supporter were winning the Skol cup in 91, winning the 1st division in 99 and winning the league cup in 07 along with the 3-0 wins against Rangers and anytime we beat Hearts.

I dont ever remember being overjoyed at finishing in the top 6 or spending a couple of weeks at the top of the league near the start of the season before we inevitably get overtaken by the Old Firm. I dont get excited looking forward to "competing for third place" or get a lump in my throat thinking about how we celebrated being the best team in scotland (outside of Glasgow).

Worst case scenario we dont get promoted this season and there is no league reconstruction for next season then we spend another year in the championship competing against St Mirren, Falkirk & Dundee United (probably) for a title that we will be favourites to win. I'd rather do that as League and/or Scottish Cup winners than play in the premiership next season if im honest.

Edson Arantes
01-03-2016, 01:33 PM
Anyway it wont matter when we get all three :greengrin

:flag:.

:thumbsup: :flag::aok:

LaMotta
01-03-2016, 01:57 PM
originally posted this in the private members forum but sums up my feelings about this thread so may as well post it again :greengrin

I seriously can't believe that anyone would sacrifice winning a cup just to get back to the premiership this season.

In the last 30 years the best times i've had as a Hibs supporter were winning the Skol cup in 91, winning the 1st division in 99 and winning the league cup in 07 along with the 3-0 wins against Rangers and anytime we beat Hearts.

I dont ever remember being overjoyed at finishing in the top 6 or spending a couple of weeks at the top of the league near the start of the season before we inevitably get overtaken by the Old Firm. I dont get excited looking forward to "competing for third place" or get a lump in my throat thinking about how we celebrated being the best team in scotland (outside of Glasgow).

Worst case scenario we dont get promoted this season and there is no league reconstruction for next season then we spend another year in the championship competing against St Mirren, Falkirk & Dundee United (probably) for a title that we will be favourites to win. I'd rather do that as League and/or Scottish Cup winners than play in the premiership next season if im honest.

Couldn't agree more!

GreensesArab
01-03-2016, 02:00 PM

Agree 100%

cwilliamson85
01-03-2016, 02:14 PM
I voted for "Yes, both cups are as important as promotion" due to the fact I think the squad should see all games as important if it is a league game or a cup game.

Go out give 100% and hopefully the results go our way.

Dashing Bob S
01-03-2016, 02:29 PM
Going out on a limb here, but on the basis it's the hope that kills you but the anticipation that keeps you hooked, I'd suggest we blow out promotion and forget about the cups this year, to make a big push on all three fronts next season.

MyJo
01-03-2016, 03:13 PM
Going out on a limb here, but on the basis it's the hope that kills you but the anticipation that keeps you hooked, I'd suggest we blow out promotion and forget about the cups this year, to make a big push on all three fronts next season.

Straight from the terry butcher school of (mis)management.

blackpoolhibs
01-03-2016, 03:34 PM

:agree::agree:

Tommyboy1875
01-03-2016, 10:50 PM
I'm not really bothered about winning the Scottish Cup. Knocking the Jambos out was good enough for me. We need to get back in the premiership where the long term gains are.

mca
01-03-2016, 10:53 PM
Has Stubbs's Been Sussed ??

IberianHibernian
01-03-2016, 11:06 PM
None of us are happy about last 3 league results but time to forget the league and enjoy both cups. Ross County and us are only teams still in both cups , 6 other clubs are hoping that Scottish Cup will give them some glory and all the rest including clubs like Aberdeen and St Johnstone who`ve had recent cup success have to enjoy memories. Win against Caley and Ross County and we`re in for a great end of season , win only one and we`ll still have someting to celebrate and if we lose both then time to concentrate on league .

Sir David Gray
01-03-2016, 11:07 PM

Hibs being in the second tier of Scottish football for one year is bad enough, to be in it for three consecutive years would be an utter embarrassment.

We should be a Premiership club, we have a Premiership fanbase, we have a Premiership stadium, a Premiership training ground and we have a squad that is worth much more than many Premiership clubs' squads.

If we fail to go up this season then I really fear for the budgets that we'll have next season. We have managed to sustain Premiership budgets for the last two seasons and have most likely run up a pretty big loss as a result. That won't/can't be allowed to continue.

If the budgets get lowered then obviously the standard of player that we are able to attract also lowers and then we'll be in a vicious circle which could lead to three years becoming four or five.

It's not about Hibs being "just in the top six" of the Premiership, which I accept is boring and means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

It's about having Sevco, Celtic, Hearts and Aberdeen playing us again on a regular basis and having the exposure that these games undoubtedly give you in the media. Our stay in the Championship, thus far, hasn't been as bad as it could have been due to the games against Hearts and Sevco. However if we are still in the Championship next season, we'll have none of these games to play and our biggest league match of the season will be against Dundee Utd.

We absolutely must get promoted this season. The thought of spending another year in the Championship, playing against the likes of Livingston and Dumbarton yet again is thoroughly depressing.

Jim44
01-03-2016, 11:09 PM

Too bloody true I will, along with season 2014-15 and season 2015-16. It's an absolute disgrace that a club with our status should spend three consecutive years in the lower division. To be a regular second rate club has more stigma and potentially more damaging effect on our existence than not winning the Scottish Cup, in my book.

matty_f
01-03-2016, 11:10 PM
I want us to get back to winning games and see where it takes us.

We're in one cup final, I'd give a bollock to see us win that. The Scottish Cup can have my other one.

I still want promoted asap, but I guess I'm greedy (and testicularly reckless).

Toldo123
01-03-2016, 11:16 PM
My worry is if we don't get promoted, will we have any chance of keeping hold of our better young players and potentially the manager too.

Although stubbs name has taken a hit in the last week he is still highly regarded and will be in the frame for jobs down south.

Realistically my big fear is we could fail to get promotion and lose Cummings, mcginn and tin manager in the close season and we could be back to less than square one. crowds are low enough already so I dread to think what another year in this league would do to them.

Don't like to be negative but as mentioned on another thread 17 wins out of 27 is just not acceptable in this league for hibs. Apart from rangers, our budget dwarfes any other team in the league and we should be doing a lot better.

Hopefully we can turn it round in next two games and bring home a cup and this will get the confidence back.

GGTTH

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

kaimendhibs
02-03-2016, 12:40 AM
Never forget that the top league is keek too!! We cant afford to not want cuos, its all about silverware

Baldy Foghorn
02-03-2016, 01:15 AM
Promotion is a MUST........Another Season in Championship, will cripple us financially, we will lose our better players, crowds will drop etc etc......

We really need to gain promotion.......

Lago
02-03-2016, 06:47 AM
Promotion is a MUST........Another Season in Championship, will cripple us financially, we will lose our better players, crowds will drop etc etc......

We really need to gain promotion.......
Its an imperative!!

Ronniekirk
02-03-2016, 08:02 AM
We have invested money on the playing side and built a team with one eye on being promoted We haven't just brought in tried and tested players at championship level
So if we didn't get promoted that strategy will have failed and another year in the championship would mean rebuilding the team again as key players will be sold on .
Then another rebuilding job the following season
I would rather we go up this season as it gives us better platform to build on and keep momentum going but being in the play off means that we can't negotiate players coming in for next season till we know where we are playing which creates its own difficulties

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GreenCastle
02-03-2016, 08:11 AM
Can anyone remember where we finished in the league in 91 and 2007?

In reality in Scotland you really only have 2 chances to win silverware - that being both cups.

Winning the league we are in wont be celebrated as much as a league or Scottish cup win.

Hibs being in the top league is important - mainly for finances and future fan base / coverage the top league gets.

The goalposts have changed now..

The priorities must be getting to another semi final.. Then the league cup final.

After that we can then see where we are..but both would be a massive confidence boost plus extra income and irreplaceable memories.

Waxy
02-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Just switch the play and thats us beat.

Pretty Boy
02-03-2016, 09:38 AM
Promotion every time. The stats are there that teams that don't come straight back up tend to have long spells in the wilderness.

Dundee - relegated 04/05, promoted 11/12
Livingston - relegated 05/06 promoted N/A
Dunfermilne- relegated 06/07 promoted 10/11
Gretna - relegated 07/08 Promoted N/A
ICT - relegated 08/09 promoted next season
Falkirk - relegated 09/10 Promoted N/A
Hamilton - relegated 10/11 Promoted 13/14
Dunfermilne- relegated 11/12, now league 1
Dundee - relegated 12/13 Promoted next season
Hearts - relegated 13/14 Promoted next season
Hibs - relegated 13/14 Promotion N/A

In the last 10 years 3 teams have come up at 1st time of asking. 5 have failed to do so at all. Dundee took 6 seasons and Dinfermilne 4.

There's a trend there we don't want to be part of.

mutley
02-03-2016, 03:20 PM
Cups are nice, but promotion should have been the main focus this season.

Dashing Bob S
02-03-2016, 03:28 PM
Promotion every time. The stats are there that teams that don't come straight back up tend to have long spells in the wilderness.

Dundee - relegated 04/05, promoted 11/12
Livingston - relegated 05/06 promoted N/A
Dunfermilne- relegated 06/07 promoted 10/11
Gretna - relegated 07/08 Promoted N/A
ICT - relegated 08/09 promoted next season
Falkirk - relegated 09/10 Promoted N/A
Hamilton - relegated 10/11 Promoted 13/14
Dunfermilne- relegated 11/12, now league 1
Dundee - relegated 12/13 Promoted next season
Hearts - relegated 13/14 Promoted next season
Hibs - relegated 13/14 Promotion N/A

In the last 10 years 3 teams have come up at 1st time of asking. 5 have failed to do so at all. Dundee took 6 seasons and Dinfermilne 4.

There's a trend there we don't want to be part of.

Scary data. Yes, the longer a club stays down, the more they cut their cloth to fit their lower status.

silverhibee
02-03-2016, 09:20 PM
Bullish Leeann Dempster claims Hibs are not contemplating the prospect of a third consecutive season in the Championship.

The Easter Road side fell out of the Premiership just as the chief executive was arriving at the club some 18 months ago, and missed out on a return to the top flight at the first time of asking when they lost in the play-offs last season.

They are now three points behind Rangers in what appears to be a straight two-way battle for the title and, speaking to around 250 shareholders at the club’s annual general meeting last night, Dempster declared that everyone at Hibs is “planning for promotion”.

She said: “I’m sure someone will ask me ‘what happens if we don’t get promoted?’. Are we going to be able to keep our players? How much money are we going to have, what’s going to happen? I’d like to pre-empt that question. This is not to say we don’t plan for every eventuality, but we are not planning not to get promoted this season. We’re planning for promotion and that is uppermost in our minds. That is the driving force behind every single thing that we do".

Looks like Leeann is all for promotion this season as well.

Sir David Gray
02-03-2016, 09:23 PM
Bullish Leeann Dempster claims Hibs are not contemplating the prospect of a third consecutive season in the Championship.

The Easter Road side fell out of the Premiership just as the chief executive was arriving at the club some 18 months ago, and missed out on a return to the top flight at the first time of asking when they lost in the play-offs last season.

They are now three points behind Rangers in what appears to be a straight two-way battle for the title and, speaking to around 250 shareholders at the club’s annual general meeting last night, Dempster declared that everyone at Hibs is “planning for promotion”.

She said: “I’m sure someone will ask me ‘what happens if we don’t get promoted?’. Are we going to be able to keep our players? How much money are we going to have, what’s going to happen? I’d like to pre-empt that question. This is not to say we don’t plan for every eventuality, but we are not planning not to get promoted this season. We’re planning for promotion and that is uppermost in our minds. That is the driving force behind every single thing that we do".

That comment came a while ago when we were just three points behind Sevco. At that point, Leeann Dempster would have been coming from the angle that we still had a chance of going up as champions.

Now that ship has sailed and we are struggling to fend off Falkirk for second place.

RoYO!
02-03-2016, 10:05 PM
Scottish Cup win
Promotion
League Cup win.

In that order.

Agreed

Ronniekirk
02-03-2016, 10:08 PM

There is no question that was and remains our aim ,and everything the Club is improving is based on us being in a different league.
But that in itself doesn't guarantee we will get promotion
I and many other posters have made it clear a third year in this division is not palatable but like many others if the unthinkable happens and we stay down I will continue backing the club and putting money in but paradoxically I may not attend games as often as to be honest I have seen enough games where we struggle to break teams down over the past two seasons .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

silverhibee
02-03-2016, 10:12 PM
That comment came a while ago when we were just three points behind Sevco. At that point, Leeann Dempster would have been coming from the angle that we still had a chance of going up as champions.

Now that ship has sailed and we are struggling to fend off Falkirk for second place.

Only six weeks ago Trig, 3 points to 14 now, and as you say we now fight it out with Falkirk for 2nd place.

jockodile
03-03-2016, 09:05 AM
The Scottish cup is worth missing out on promotion.
The League cup is not.