PDA

View Full Version : Play offs for us?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
29-02-2016, 10:38 AM
Thoughts? Is it too much of an uphill task now to catch Rangers?

Spike Mandela
29-02-2016, 10:42 AM
Yes.

Ozyhibby
29-02-2016, 10:44 AM
Only the most happy happy clapper of all time would think we have a chance of catching Sevco. It's not going to happen. We'll be lucky to stay above Falkirk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jarre1875
Yea. Even before they went 11 in front. 8 points were a big ask. Its up to the players to prove is wrong though

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Brightside
No chance we will catch Rangers. We must 100% concentrate on 2nd place.

SlickShoes
29-02-2016, 10:56 AM
The players need to mentally prepare for the play offs, second place didn't help us last season, so it's not a total lost cause to not finish second. All that matters are the 4 or 6 games we will be getting at the end of the season, once this cup final is out the way our focus should be on winning the play offs. We have already ****ed up the title challenge all by ourselves, lets not chuck it in the play offs for a third year running.

GreenArmyyy!
29-02-2016, 11:10 AM
The players need to mentally prepare for the play offs, second place didn't help us last season, so it's not a total lost cause to not finish second. All that matters are the 4 or 6 games we will be getting at the end of the season, once this cup final is out the way our focus should be on winning the play offs. We have already ****ed up the title challenge all by ourselves, lets not chuck it in the play offs for a third year running.

We finish 3rd and I can almost guarantee we won't go up. At the end of a season that we are having just now another six "cup finals" would be a gigantic ask of the squad and not something I would be confident about.

Gatecrasher
29-02-2016, 11:14 AM
We need to secure 2nd and give the squad a proper chance to prepare for the play offs. It's been a busy season so a week or so off will do the team good. It won't be easy though.

JimBHibees
29-02-2016, 11:15 AM
No chance we will catch Rangers. We must 100% concentrate on 2nd place.

Agree totally.

Argylehibby
29-02-2016, 11:17 AM
Yes play offs are a certainty now. Next problem is if a resurgent Dundee Utd get up to the play off final then they are there full of confidence. Not going to be easy to beat even if we get past Falkirk / Morton or whoever e play first.

Hibby 2005
The last 2 games have killed off any chance of catching Rangers.

SeanWilson
with 30 points to play for, i cant see anything else, however its possible. :wink:

The main thing we have to do now is regroup and focus on the positives as a team. Shake of the stupidity of last week and secure 2nd place.

Lancs Harp
29-02-2016, 11:18 AM
Looking at the SPL table I think the play off team will either be Kilmarnock or Hamilton although numerous other clubs at this stage are also candidates. There would be a certain poetic justice in taking Hamiltons place :greengrin but if I was a betting man my Shekel would be on Kili. As for who will likely be joining our good selves and Falkirk I think Raith might just hold on with Morton taking them close, dont think QoS hve enough bot them this season

Spike Mandela
29-02-2016, 11:18 AM
We are guaranteed a playoff place. 2nd would mean a couple less games but in reality is a hollow victory as last year proved it didn't help us any.

If we don't win the league I couldn't care less if we finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th it's performances in the playoffs that count.

GreenCastle
29-02-2016, 11:19 AM
People say it's 11 points but really with the goal difference it's 12 points - so they need to lose 4 or draw and lose several and we need to pretty much win every game.

27 points left to play for - including 3 against them.

For me we need to regroup and quickly. I was worried about the result on Wednesday and how we react Saturday. We now have a really tough game away tomorrow night then 2 massive cup games.

I would take 2nd in the league with promotion and a cup win 100%.

Though right now we need to show guts and leadership otherwise could be an almighty collapse.

NAE NOOKIE
29-02-2016, 11:41 AM
It was a 100/1 shot after the Morton game, after the Dumbarton game we have no chance of winning the league, I would be surprised if the bookies are even taking bets on Sevco.

But nothing has changed for us, we are still in a battle for 2nd place and every game is vital, as is taking that 2nd spot .... if anybody doesn't think so all they need to do is remember how playing those extra 2 games affected the Huns, in their 2 games with Motherwell they looked dead on their feet after playing 4 games in 14 days and having to face a comparatively fresh team 5 days later .... by the time the 2nd leg came they had played 5 high tempo games in less than 3 weeks and it showed.

We have 5 home games left until the play offs and nobody is pretending that even if we win the League Cup we are going to get many more than the usual 8,000 suspects turning up for those games, with the possible exception of what could be a make or break Falkirk game. ...... but everybody who claims to be a Hibs fan, everybody who scrambled for Hearts tickets, St Johntone tickets or who is going to Hampden has to realise that turning up to support the team at Easter Road in the play offs is a hundred times more important and even if it means publicly admitting that the league is gone Hibs have to start a drive now to encourage folk to turn out for those games.

JimBHibees
29-02-2016, 11:48 AM
Looking at the SPL table I think the play off team will either be Kilmarnock or Hamilton although numerous other clubs at this stage are also candidates. There would be a certain poetic justice in taking Hamiltons place :greengrin but if I was a betting man my Shekel would be on Kili. As for who will likely be joining our good selves and Falkirk I think Raith might just hold on with Morton taking them close, dont think QoS hve enough bot them this season

If that is the choice of teams I would hope it is Hamilton rather than Killie as think they are more beatable and actually think Lee Clark will do a half decent job at Killie..

Pete
29-02-2016, 11:51 AM
Thistle or Hamilton please. I don't particularly fancy United or Kilmarnock but it could be anyone from Ross County down.

Finishing second is a must as I don't think we'll have the legs otherwise.

Lancs Harp
29-02-2016, 11:55 AM
If that is the choice of teams I would hope it is Hamilton rather than Killie as think they are more beatable and actually think Lee Clark will do a half decent job at Killie..

As someone with a strong Blackpool connection I'd rate "Wor Lee" as next to useless myself.

Captain Trips
29-02-2016, 12:22 PM
Rangers need to collapse we need to not make any mistakes. Play offs it is

Waxy
29-02-2016, 12:47 PM
Rangers are up. Just take them out the puzzle now. We still have the playoffs and we still have a good chance.

eastmainsmsh
29-02-2016, 12:53 PM
We will go up every faith

ahibby
29-02-2016, 01:03 PM
We will go up every faith

I think we will go up too and I always thought it would be through the play offs. Play offs are like cup games and we have shown this season we are good at cup games. A final and a quarter are evidence of that.

jacomo
29-02-2016, 02:08 PM
It is still possible - but we are relying on a big collapse from Rangers and corresponding winning run from us.

We need to regroup, focus and work harder. Absolute commitment and desire to win every game from here on in.

HibsNutter
29-02-2016, 02:15 PM
The league was over after Morton imo. Although, I'd expected it to pan out this way. Still feel we'll come into the play-offs in second and be too strong for anyone else who's gonna stand in our way. It's just about getting out of this league, doesn't matter if it's as champions or as play-offs, as long as we don't have to go to places like Dumbarton in the league next season.

Getting through to the Scottish Cup semi and beating Ross County in the LC final would do our chances the world of good, the confidence of having beaten four better Premier League sides than we will face in the play-offs, coupled with the potential greater support at ER in the wake of a cup win, would stand us in good stead.

Dashing Bob S
29-02-2016, 02:17 PM
Anybody who thinks there is a chance of catching Rangers, is quite possibly mentally ******ed. Rangers will have it all but sewn up by Easter in the same way Hearts did last season. They have a side better designed to get out off this League, they roll over teams in the bottom half of the table. Rangers aren't losing at Dumbarton twice, or being horsed 0-3 at home to Morton. Forget it.

I feel that we have a more talented squad, and we've shown to be able to rise to the occasion against higher league opposition more regularly than the Hun. Our best chance always was the play-offs.

Let's concentrate on the battle for second spot. For Hibs and Falkirk, two extra play-off games against Raith, then a battle with each other to decide who plays against the second bottom means making the Premier from third place is too big an ask. Second gives you a shot, but then it's still stacked against you.

Franck Stanton
29-02-2016, 02:22 PM
We are guaranteed a playoff place. 2nd would mean a couple less games but in reality is a hollow victory as last year proved it didn't help us any.

If we don't win the league I couldn't care less if we finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th it's performances in the playoffs that count.

This exactly

Canon Hannan
29-02-2016, 02:28 PM
2nd Place, Cup Final and possible semi final I the other Cup is excellent work

JimBHibees
29-02-2016, 02:32 PM
As someone with a strong Blackpool connection I'd rate "Wor Lee" as next to useless myself.

Blackpool isnt the easiest job in the world it is fair to say. :greengrin Who knows he may struggle however think he has done a few decent jobs elsewhere.

29-02-2016, 02:35 PM
yep, if we are gonna go up we are gonna have to do it the hard way and go through the play-offs. Would be very very shocked if the hubs dropped that many points for us to win the league

silverhibee
29-02-2016, 02:52 PM
It was a 100/1 shot after the Morton game, after the Dumbarton game we have no chance of winning the league, I would be surprised if the bookies are even taking bets on Sevco.

But nothing has changed for us, we are still in a battle for 2nd place and every game is vital, as is taking that 2nd spot .... if anybody doesn't think so all they need to do is remember how playing those extra 2 games affected the Huns, in their 2 games with Motherwell they looked dead on their feet after playing 4 games in 14 days and having to face a comparatively fresh team 5 days later .... by the time the 2nd leg came they had played 5 high tempo games in less than 3 weeks and it showed.

We have 5 home games left until the play offs and nobody is pretending that even if we win the League Cup we are going to get many more than the usual 8,000 suspects turning up for those games, with the possible exception of what could be a make or break Falkirk game. ...... but everybody who claims to be a Hibs fan, everybody who scrambled for Hearts tickets, St Johntone tickets or who is going to Hampden has to realise that turning up to support the team at Easter Road in the play offs is a hundred times more important and even if it means publicly admitting that the league is gone Hibs have to start a drive now to encourage folk to turn out for those games.

That's the problem, we should be in a battle for 1st spot, not battling it out with Falkirk for 2nd spot in this league, Falkirk should be no where near us in this league at this point in the season, we should be 10 points clear of them easily and battling with the new club for the top spot, Livi, had the chance to close the gap, Morton, game in hand, close the gap even more, Dumbarton, keep that gap up, but we have blown it and are now fighting it out with Falkirk for 2nd place.

We have no chance of winning this league now, we did have but we blew our chance.

bigwheel
29-02-2016, 03:03 PM
That's the problem, we should be in a battle for 1st spot, not battling it out with Falkirk for 2nd spot in this league, Falkirk should be no where near us in this league at this point in the season, we should be 10 points clear of them easily and battling with the new club for the top spot, Livi, had the chance to close the gap, Morton, game in hand, close the gap even more, Dumbarton, keep that gap up, but we have blown it and are now fighting it out with Falkirk for 2nd place.

We have no chance of winning this league now, we did have but we blew our chance.

Exactly. To be out of the race for the league before March is a major let down - no one can surely disagree . Stubbs himself said it would go right to wire . And it's not. It's a stroll down the home straight for Sevco. Very disappointing whichever way it's analysed.

number9dream
29-02-2016, 03:48 PM
Exactly. To be out of the race for the league before March is a major let down - no one can surely disagree . Stubbs himself said it would go right to wire . And it's not. It's a stroll down the home straight for Sevco. Very disappointing whichever way it's analysed.

Yes. Hugely disappointing. And all over in a flash with a sucker one-two!

The play-offs definitely generate excitement but the set-up is generously weighted in favour of the Premier team (I know it didn't do us much good in the free fall under Butcher).
Finish second and there is the long wait for a game (11 or 12 days). Heaven forbid we finish third and it's six matches to get up.
The best system would be a simple two-legs between 2nd & 11th and if they want more games then it should be semi-finals 11 v 4, 2 v 3.
I'm not even thinking about reaching the Scottish Cup final, which would require a major reshuffle for play-off dates...

Hibernia&Alba
29-02-2016, 05:28 PM
No chance The Rangers will drop enough points to be caught. Now we must ensure we finish second and endure the nerves of the pay offs.

Smartie
29-02-2016, 05:35 PM
There's part of me coming round to the "blessing in disguise" way of thinking.

If we'd been pipped at the death that might have shattered our confidence at the worst possible time and led to us following it up with a quick fire disappointment in the play-offs. I'm thinking Hearts 1986 - one minute they had the double, their catastrophic failure at Dens was followed up with a pumping at Hampden in the Cup Final and a good season ends up with them winning nothing.

We're going through the disappointment of realising we're not going to win the league now. We realise that our team/ squad has glaring deficiencies if we play a certain way. We have time to work on improving these deficiencies before hitting the play-offs though. Obviously we still have to pick up a lot of points between now and the end of the season to guarantee second so whilst there will still be a bit of pressure there will be less than had we taken the Championship to the wire.

I'm a lot more chipper today than I was from Wednesday to Saturday of last week.

Hi Heid Yin
29-02-2016, 05:38 PM
I concur with the majority of posts that the title challenge is gone and our last chance is through the play offs, which will be a lottery (again!)

ancient hibee
29-02-2016, 06:14 PM
I concur with the majority of posts that the title challenge is gone and our last chance is through the play offs, which will be a lottery (again!)

How will it be a lottery?It surely will mean beating another Championship team over two games and then beating the second worst team in the Premiership over two games while bearing in mind that we have beaten the teams who will finish second and third in the Premiership and another team that'll finish in the top six..Nothing like a lottery.

Hibernia&Alba
29-02-2016, 06:16 PM
How will it be a lottery?It surely will mean beating another Championship team over two games and then beating the second worst team in the Premiership over two games while bearing in mind that we have beaten the teams who will finish second and third in the Premiership and another team that'll finish in the top six..Nothing like a lottery.

Unless it goes to penalties! :worried:

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-02-2016, 06:42 PM
Play offs have always been my expectation. I think that our hardest game though, will come against Falkirk, who will end up clear third behind us.

ancient hibee
29-02-2016, 06:45 PM
Play offs have always been my expectation. I think that our hardest game though, will come against Falkirk, who will end up clear third behind us.

Raith to see them off then:greengrin

Keith_M
29-02-2016, 06:46 PM
Yes.....Hibs have blown it.

I just hope they get it together again for the Cup Final and the Play Offs.

hibee_nation
29-02-2016, 06:51 PM
When the huns play Falkirk we will be rooting for the huns unfortunately

matty_f
29-02-2016, 07:22 PM
When we went 11 points behind The Rangers earlier in the season, I remember thinking that the title race was done at that point, we managed to claw it back but that gap has re-opened again.

I think because time is against us now, that the play-offs are practically guaranteed. The one thing I would say is that clearly both ourselves and The Rangers are capable of getting a few bad results - we did it to give The Rangers the lead in the first place, then The Rangers did it to let us back in, we've done it again now, and so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that The Rangers could yet slip up.

That said, I think it's massively unlikely. My own opinion is that we're certainties for the play offs.

I know it's a big cliche, but I think the club collectively forgot to take things 'one game at a time' with all the talk of trebles. We need to refocus and remember that the most important game is the next one. We can't be playing games with a fixture a couple of weeks away in mind, and I think that's what's happened recently, whether that was a conscious thing or not, it's my belief that we've lost concentration and we've been punished for it.

It's essential that we do our best to close the gap, even if it ultimately ends in vain. We want to go into the play-offs with other teams looking at us wondering how they can beat us, not thinking that they can.

Eyrie
29-02-2016, 07:59 PM
Our only chance of winning the league now is a Sevco insolvency event, which won't happen because they need to go up even more than we do so the money will be found to keep them going until the season is over.

So we're going to face the play offs again, and we need to ensure that we are in second place which won't be easy. It's "disappointing" that we are much closer to third than first at this stage of the season.

stoneyburn hibs
29-02-2016, 08:03 PM
A play off final against Hamilton beckons, with us getting our revenge.

rcarter1
29-02-2016, 08:13 PM
Anybody who thinks there is a chance of catching Rangers, is quite possibly mentally ******ed. Rangers will have it all but sewn up by Easter in the same way Hearts did last season. They have a side better designed to get out off this League, they roll over teams in the bottom half of the table. Rangers aren't losing at Dumbarton twice, or being horsed 0-3 at home to Morton. Forget it.

I feel that we have a more talented squad, and we've shown to be able to rise to the occasion against higher league opposition more regularly than the Hun. Our best chance always was the play-offs.

Let's concentrate on the battle for second spot. For Hibs and Falkirk, two extra play-off games against Raith, then a battle with each other to decide who plays against the second bottom means making the Premier from third place is too big an ask. Second gives you a shot, but then it's still stacked against you.

:tsk tsk:
Agree wholeheartedly we need to see falkirk as the threat, and do everything to finish above them. If we win all of our games to do this, and Rangers fall into a Black Hole, we may of course, end up winning the title.