Shots on Target - 6
Corner kicks - 5
Total goals scored - 3

Dumbarton
Shots on goal - 8
Shots on target - 4
Corner kicks - 1
Total goals scored - 3

So in the last 180 minutes of football we've had a total of 19 shots against us - 10 on target, conceded 6 corner kicks and the most worrying of all conceded 6 goals. I know were are better than we are playing just now but what has went wrong? Oxley has been to blame for some of the goals but individual errors from other players have cost us as well. Still time to consolidate 2nd place and perhaps push The Rangers all the way if they manage to drop points along the way. Worst case scenario is finishing 3rd, that can't happen, the playoffs are a complete lottery and we don't need the extra games.

FromTheCapital
28-02-2016, 12:47 PM
Only stat that really matters is 6 conceded and 2 scored.
Need to sort ourselves out defensively and be more effective in attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
28-02-2016, 12:52 PM
Only stat that really matters is 6 conceded and 2 scored.
Need to sort ourselves out defensively and be more effective in attack.

Agree, out of those 6 I'd say 4 of them are very soft. Dumbartons first and Mortons 3rd were good goals.

FromTheCapital
28-02-2016, 12:53 PM
Agree, out of those 6 I'd say 4 of them are very soft. Dumbartons first and Mortons 3rd were good goals.

Agree with that. Still think Morton's 3rd was poor defending as the lad ran down the line effortlessly and the boy in the middle had nobody near him. I think we'll see changes on Tuesday.

Smartie
28-02-2016, 12:55 PM
The only stats that matter are 2 games, 2 defeats, 0 points.

Personally I think the problems start up front. If we take a chance early on and get a goal it settles the whole team. The more chances we miss, the more we have the ball without looking like scoring the more the team gets unnerved. We've lost that "bouncebackability" when losing a goal is a minor inconvenience before you go on to win. When we lose the first goal we look rattled, we lose a second we look beaten. The fact that our most composed player under duress is a 19 year old loan player is shameful.

It's starting to have a wee whiff of last season to me. Create loads of chances, dominate games but fail to win. This was the main thing that Stubbs had to address this summer and at the moment it looks like he's failing. Having said that, he's got a lot of useful players to use. Find a blend and we can still win 2 cups and get promoted.

Hermit Crab
28-02-2016, 12:56 PM
Agree with that. Still think Morton's 3rd was poor defending as the lad ran down the line effortlessly and the boy in the middle had nobody near him. I think we'll see changes on Tuesday.

Mcgregor lost the ball well inside Mortons half and didn't have the legs to get back leaving Gray to cover 2 men. Great counter attack, plus that boy was a fleeing machine.

Hermit Crab
28-02-2016, 12:58 PM
The only stats that matter are 2 games, 2 defeats, 0 points.

Personally I think the problems start up front. If we take a chance early on and get a goal it settles the whole team. The more chances we miss, the more we have the ball without looking like scoring the more the team gets unnerved. We've lost that "bouncebackability" when losing a goal is a minor inconvenience before you go on to win. When we lose the first goal we look rattled, we lose a second we look beaten. The fact that our most composed player under duress is a 19 year old loan player is shameful.

It's starting to have a wee whiff of last season to me. Create loads of chances, dominate games but fail to win. This was the main thing that Stubbs had to address this summer and at the moment it looks like he's failing. Having said that, he's got a lot of useful players to use. Find a blend and we can still win 2 cups and get promoted.

I just think he changes it too often, we need a settled team. Players are wondering if they are going to be getting a game at the moment despite playing

CapitalGreen
28-02-2016, 01:01 PM
Conceded 2 goals from 6 corners.
Scored 0 goals from 28 corners.

FromTheCapital
28-02-2016, 01:04 PM
Mcgregor lost the ball well inside Mortons half and didn't have the legs to get back leaving Gray to cover 2 men. Great counter attack, plus that boy was a fleeing machine.

The boy was rapid to be fair.
Still soft though.

greenlex
28-02-2016, 01:56 PM

Ill go further than that on Mortons 3rd.individual error agai. McGregor was to blame 100% for that. Charging forward and losing the ball on the edge of their box when they were quite obviously rapid on the break with the boy Barr. I know its boure out f frustration but there was no need. 2 down at the time we were certainly still in the game but at 3 we were struggling.
EDIT - See youve kinda covered it. I shuld have read the whole thread.

seanshow
28-02-2016, 03:33 PM
If you don't track runners or mark the opposition you lose goals, for whatever reason the team are failing to carry it out. Even in relation to the second goal yesterday in which some posters on here seem to want the ox kicked out the club for! .....Hanlon who was marking Nade failed to track his man who in turn was left with a free header. The team have either decided to prioritise their efforts dangerous, or the sheer amount of pitch time over the last 2 months is catching up with them.

Hermit Crab
28-02-2016, 05:06 PM
The boy was rapid to be fair.
Still soft though.

All the the goals are preventable. Bottom line is we have to do better or we'll end up with nothing this season.

emerald green
28-02-2016, 05:18 PM
More stats from just yesterday's game:

Possession D36%/H64%
Shots 8/18
On target 4/6
Corners 1/16

Normally, I would say 9 times out of 10, the team with those better stats would win quite comfortably.

4 shots on target = 3 goals (2 of them headers, not really shots) :rolleyes:

Onceinawhile
28-02-2016, 05:55 PM

Farid's goal came from a corner?

Possibly the 1 out of 28 that bet the first man.

AndyB_70
29-02-2016, 06:55 AM
Farid's goal came from a corner?

Possibly the 1 out of 28 that bet the first man.

I think he means directly from a corner. Our goal came after a bit of head tennis and it dropping to Farid's foot.

Onceinawhile
29-02-2016, 07:06 AM
I think he means directly from a corner. Our goal came after a bit of head tennis and it dropping to Farid's foot.

That's a bit unfair imo. The ball didn't leave the box first, it's a goal from a corner.

More worrying for me is the amount of headers we seem to put over the bar.

It's ridiculous!

Jones28
29-02-2016, 08:33 AM
Both opposition team have had 50% or more of their strikes on target. We have had roughly 33%.

Where are our shooting boots?

Lancs Harp
29-02-2016, 09:05 AM
Cant comment on the Dumbarton game as I dint see it. But defensively against Morton we were poor.

Thought Thomson struggled in the holding midfield roll which helped put pressure on our back line, Morton just ran through our midfield when they broke, it was far too easy for them.

All three goals were poor from a Hibs point of view, I thought Oxley should have done better for the first two. Caught in no mans land or the first and didn't deal well enough with the cross for the second. No idea what McGregor thought he was doing for the third goal attempting to stroll out of defence like he was Franz Beckenbauer and go between two players when he had no one behind him in anything like a covering position. Extremely poor decision making in my book, he's a better player than that.

Just to add as a side while doing a defensive critique Liam Fontaine has got some qualities, hes good in the air and decent in the tackle and reads the game quite well but he's got to be about the slowest centre back Ive ever seen.

Hopefully we can turn the current form round and quickly, four points from matches against Livi, Alloa, Morton and Dumbarton, three of whom are the poorest sides in the division clearly isn't good enough and is rightly cause for concern. As the cliché says you don't become a bad team overnight perhaps a bit of a test for Stubbsy we're certainly a better side than we've shown in those recent league games but they have probably emphasized that we are still work in progress and their are certainly areas of our game we need to work on.
:flag:

Geo_1875
29-02-2016, 10:26 AM
Both opposition team have had 50% or more of their strikes on target. We have had roughly 33%.

Where are our shooting boots?

Our forwards and attacking midfielders are shot-shy. What is wrong with having a go from 15-20 yards against what are not the best goalkeepers in the game? Hertz last season and The Rangers this year were shooting from all over the pitch. They regularly have 20-25 shots during a game. If half of them are on target you're bound to get 1 or 2 going in or the keeper spilling them giving other players a chance. And if Hibs had taken an early lead against Livingston/Morton/Dumbarton I'd have fancied them to go on and win.

Captain Trips
29-02-2016, 11:31 AM
Defence is a problem but you need to look at the amount of shots per goals not just here but all season. If Morton scored 3 we should have scored 4. We have never really batterd teams and got the goals as well.

Vini1875
29-02-2016, 01:17 PM
I feel our problem is still too many chances and not enough converted to goals. The other thing is we have pushed both full backs forward and now our centre backs are also bombing forward at every opportunity that we leave ourselves open to counter attacks. We need to give more respect to teams and be a little more cautious and less wasteful.

As a team we look tired, they can get up for the cup games - big crowds and excitement- but the bread and butter games have us jaded.

One other thing about our play is how slow it is, which allows teams to organise and crowd out their box. Finally we do not have a player standing in front of the front post at our corners. The corners a lot of the time fall short and I think if someone was there he might be able to flick the ball on or toward goal.

I am sure AS spends his time studying these forums to pick up tips from all us experts. He can phone me any time and I'll be able to give him a few pointers.

twiceinathens
29-02-2016, 05:27 PM
To be honest I'm surprised that we have had as many attempts on goal. For me we fail too often make good use of the possession we have. No one seems to want to take the responsibility of taking the final shot.

ancient hibee
29-02-2016, 05:33 PM
For two seasons we have carelessly missed chance after chance.Because we play nice football and usually win this has been glossed over but it is the biggest weakness of the team.The number of free headers from corners and free kicks that haven't even needed saving must be over fifty by now.These are things that can be practiced every day-frankly it's pathetic.

Alfred E Newman
29-02-2016, 05:45 PM
To me our biggest weakness is relying on our two full backs to put decent crosses into the box. Both tend to turn back and lay the ball off inside or when they do try to cross they more often than not they hit the first defender

ancient hibee
29-02-2016, 05:49 PM
To me our biggest weakness is relying on our two full backs to put decent crosses into the box. Both tend to turn back and lay the ball off inside or when they do try to cross they more often than not they hit the first defender

Quite often they also lay the ball on a plate to be sclaffed past an open goal.

et_hibby
29-02-2016, 06:46 PM

We didn't even pose a threat for any of the corners at Dumbarton. Not that I recall anyway. Why is this?

Hermit Crab
29-02-2016, 06:49 PM
We didn't even pose a threat for any of the corners at Dumbarton. Not that I recall anyway. Why is this?

We scored our second goal on Saturday from a loose ball at a corner did we not?

wookie70
29-02-2016, 06:51 PM

Was it not Henderson who chased him and McGeogh who failed to come over from the centre. Not sure if Gray was still on the park but he got nowhere near the action in that goal

et_hibby
29-02-2016, 06:53 PM

Apologies, you are correct, was just disappointed that Dumbarton with a rather titchy goalie weren't generally put under that much pressure from the corners.

Eyrie
29-02-2016, 07:06 PM
A scramble in the box is not the intention when taking a corner.

The objective is to provide the ball for one of our players to put a header on target, and too frequently that isn't happening.

Hermit Crab
29-02-2016, 07:10 PM
A scramble in the box is not the intention when taking a corner.

The objective is to provide the ball for one of our players to put a header on target, and too frequently that isn't happening.

We win headers but struggle to hit the target. Fontaine is often guilty of this. Alagui being back will increase our chances of converting headers to goals in the box.

Onceinawhile
29-02-2016, 08:07 PM
We win headers but struggle to hit the target. Fontaine is often guilty of this. Alagui being back will increase our chances of converting headers to goals in the box.

Fontaine is absolutely howfing at it. The number of good chances he's missed this season is terrible.

cabbageandribs1875
29-02-2016, 08:15 PM

Fontaine is absolutely howfing at it. The number of good chances he's missed this season is terrible.

said as much at the Morton game, his first season he scored a couple from headers/being in the box at corners, but he's been dire this season strangely

Hermit Crab
29-02-2016, 09:25 PM
said as much at the Morton game, his first season he scored a couple from headers/being in the box at corners, but he's been dire this season strangely

Think he managed to score vs Berwick in the cup.

Jones28
29-02-2016, 10:01 PM
Our forwards and attacking midfielders are shot-shy. What is wrong with having a go from 15-20 yards against what are not the best goalkeepers in the game? Hertz last season and The Rangers this year were shooting from all over the pitch. They regularly have 20-25 shots during a game. If half of them are on target you're bound to get 1 or 2 going in or the keeper spilling them giving other players a chance. And if Hibs had taken an early lead against Livingston/Morton/Dumbarton I'd have fancied them to go on and win.

The stats would suggest different Geo, the point I was making was the innaccuracy of our shooting. 17 shots on target per game averaged out over the 2 yet accuracy rates are abysmal.

hibbysam
29-02-2016, 10:09 PM

Livingston and Morton are the big ones for me, Morton we missed about 5 glorious chances, including Cummings with an open goal, before they scored, score one of those and it's a different game, against Livingston again Cummings missed from two yards out. Against hearts, at 1-0, attempting to take it round the keeper, would've killed the game after 20 minutes. Dumbarton we didn't create much clear cut, but it's obvious, as much as Cummings is a good player and will become a top class player, he has to start taking more of his 'easy' chances. You could go back to any game we've lost and it's mostly been our own wrong-doings up the other end of the pitch, ibrox Henderson missed a great chance, as did a couple others, we lose 1-0 another example. Too many games we take 5/6 shots before scoring or forcing a good save and it's not good enough.
Most of the time our defensive side remains solid and we win 1-0, however on the occasions they have made a mistake we either lose by the odd goal or draw, one of the only exceptions is St Mirren away when we made a mistake but scored 4 cracking goals.