PDA

View Full Version : So How Do We Get Out of This Rut?

The Harp Awakes
27-02-2016, 08:24 PM
After being on a total high we've had 2 devastating results in the space of a few days. Some fans are raging (moaners?) and some fans are calling for perspective (happy clappers?). I feel somewhere in between.

One thing for sure though, is that the Manager and players need to sort things out pronto as we've got 2 massive games coming up. As supporters we need to remain positive and stop having a go at each other and the players. Every fan reacts differently but we all want the same thing; success for the Hibees.

If we all pull together we can get out of this rut and still have a successful season.

GGTTH

greenlex
27-02-2016, 08:26 PM
Hardly a rut. 6 sloppy goals. Need to get switched on again that's for sure.

leggeto
27-02-2016, 08:26 PM
I'm in the happay clapper club we will win the cup and kick on from there :)

Jonnyboy
27-02-2016, 08:27 PM
Getting out of this rut? Aint gonna happen cos I've read on here that we're gonna lose our next five games :wink:

Real Emerald
27-02-2016, 08:34 PM
I'm pissed off that we're at a low point again after being on such a high, it's the Hibs way. Losing Hanlon is a severe blow, if that's the case, but I do believe that we will win the cup and it will push us over the line for promotion. Having Farid back is also a huge boost that will give us something that's been missing and we don't become a bad team in a week. Horrific results but the playoffs were probably always going to be our route to promotion. Focus and we'll do it. :thumbsup:

greenpaper55
27-02-2016, 08:41 PM
Spend on better players and managers than our rivals like Mr petrie should have done when he got us in this mess.

BoomtownHibees
27-02-2016, 08:42 PM
spend on better players and managers than our rivals like mr petrie should have done when he got us in this mess.

ffs

HibsNutter
27-02-2016, 08:49 PM
Every team, no matter how good they are goes through a slump during a season. This is ours. Calling for perspective doesn't make you a happy clapper, this team has given us so much to be proud of and there's still loads to play for. We could easily still get promoted and win a trophy.

As for how to arrest the slump, I think one of the problems is lack of stability in the team. I'm all for rotation and keeping players fresh WHEN REQUIRED. But we need a settled spine of the time. In my opinion, the reason we've shipped six goals against poor sides in the last two games hasn't been helped by the constant changes at the back. It is the one area of the field which needs to be settled. We need a settled centre half pairing, which for me is Hanlon and McGregor. Yes, I know they both started today but they are our two best centre halves and rotating either with Fontaine recently - although he is a decent defender - hasn't allowed them to fully develop as a partnership.

Our goalkeeper has taken a lot of the flack after the past couple of games, rightly so. I for one wish for him to be dropped to allow Virtanen a chance, but if this is not the case he needs to stand up and be counted. It's going to be a real test of his character to see how he reacts to the errors of the past week. But he needs to cut out the errors, organise the defence and command his penalty box better. Four of the six goals we've conceded this week came from crosses into the box, for two of which he has been directly culpable.

Our strikers are off-form, which needs to change, they need to start hitting the back of the net. Missing good chances midweek especially cost us dearly. But we know that Cummings is a predator in front of goal, he will start scoring again. We know that Stokes is a class act who I imagine will come good. We know Keatings can deliver at this level, but his confidence seems shot and he really needs a goal. We have El Alagui back, one of the few positives of this week, who offers us something different in the form of a target man, the more match sharpness he gets, the better.

We, the support need to play our part in getting behind the players, too. Tbf, the majority of our support today got behind the team in the second half and thanked the players for their efforts at the end - after the shambles on and off the park during the first half - We need to realise that there is still so much to play for. If we come through the slump and consolidate second place I still believe we will be promoted via the play-offs, and I believe we can beat Ross County next month to claim our first piece of silverware since 2007.

Let's not be fooled by what should turn out to be a blip, things are changing for the better within our football club, but we need to be promoted this season. Let's get right behind the team and push them on until the end of the season.

:flag::flag::flag:

Jumbo
27-02-2016, 08:54 PM
We had slump around this time last season when we lost to Raith, Queen of the South and the rangers, then won every game till end of season. Hopefully get back to winning ways soon as now worried that Falkirk will leapfrog us !

Borderhibbie76
27-02-2016, 08:57 PM
I believe we can turn this around...but it needs to start in Dumfries on Tuesday night!! One other gripe hibs are quick enough to to put stubbs post match interviews on website when we win....why not after a defeat?? I wanna hear what he had to say about that shambles in the first 48 mins today??

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
27-02-2016, 09:03 PM
I believe we can turn this around...but it needs to start in Dumfries on Tuesday night!! One other gripe hibs are quick enough to to put stubbs post match interviews on website when we win....why not after a defeat?? I wanna hear what he had to say about that shambles in the first 48 mins today??

It's been on for over an hour

Waxy
27-02-2016, 09:07 PM
After being on a total high we've had 2 devastating results in the space of a few days. Some fans are raging (moaners?) and some fans are calling for perspective (happy clappers?). I feel somewhere in between.

One thing for sure though, is that the Manager and players need to sort things out pronto as we've got 2 massive games coming up. As supporters we need to remain positive and stop having a go at each other and the players. Every fan reacts differently but we all want the same thing; success for the Hibees.

If we all pull together we can get out of this rut and still have a successful season.

GGTTH
We must sort our defence out as priority.

Dashing Bob S
27-02-2016, 09:10 PM
Defence has gone pourous after being the unsung heroes for the rest of the campaign.

The middle is shaky, but I think the problem is that Gray and Stevenson are tired after a long season and when they attack as wing backs, we are stretched on the counter when teams play with width and the central defenders are pulled out of position.

Ronniekirk
27-02-2016, 09:19 PM

He said too many individual errors cost us

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
27-02-2016, 09:24 PM
He said too many individual errors cost us

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cheers I never spotted it online

Gerard
27-02-2016, 09:39 PM
All teams have losing streaks. Why should our team be any different? I have confidence that Mr Stubbs will get the team winning again. As fans we need to be fully behind the team cheering them on and being the 12th man. In AS we trust.

gaz1875
27-02-2016, 09:51 PM
Even though we have lost the last couple of games, we are still making plenty chances, just need more to go in and stop the stupid goals we are conceding. Bad teams don't make as many chances as we are doing without things turning around again, if we weren't creating many I would be a lot more concerned.

Spike Mandela
27-02-2016, 10:53 PM
The league is gone, 2nd place is still a doubt but a playoff place is guaranteed.

I think some players either intentionally or unintentionally have switched off and are saving their efforts for the cup games.

monarch
27-02-2016, 11:03 PM
[QUOTE=greenpaper55;4601536]Spend on better players and managers than our rivals like Mr petrie should have done when he got us in this mess.[

You been asleep for the last 18 months ?

Leith Mo
27-02-2016, 11:06 PM
Our Day Will Come!The Harp is back on the Main Stand!

jacomo
27-02-2016, 11:19 PM
The team need to dig deep and work harder than ever. They've got us into a good position - now the hard work really starts.

The issues in defence are well covered.

We don't score a lot from midfield.

The strikers are misfiring, as said above.

But there is real quality in this team. Time for them to prove it.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
27-02-2016, 11:24 PM
horsepower.

MWHIBBIES
27-02-2016, 11:41 PM
Spend on better players and managers than our rivals like Mr petrie should have done when he got us in this mess.:faf:

SeanWilson
27-02-2016, 11:43 PM
Spend on better players and managers than our rivals like Mr petrie should have done when he got us in this mess.

I sincerely hope that's the drink talking. 🙄

Greencore
27-02-2016, 11:49 PM

Put the crack pipe down.

B.H.F.C
27-02-2016, 11:51 PM
Not a rut yet, but two shocking performances. Tuesday could be seen as a blip given the big wins we've had lately. But that performance today should see Stubbs giving them a proper kick up the a***.

Need a result on Tuesday. And a clean sheet because our defending has been atrocious this week.

lucky
28-02-2016, 08:44 AM
Hibs are a decent Scottish football side. We win more than we lose. If you want to support a team that does not have slumps your following the wrong side. Winning the league was always going to be difficult but we are on course for the play offs. We've got the added bonus of a cup final against a side that got beat 0-3 from Dundee United, the same side we beat 3 going on 6, Hibs will bounce back. I'm confident that we will get promoted and win at least 1 cup.

Super_JMcGinn
28-02-2016, 09:21 AM

GGTTH
IMO we go into a siege mentality as a squad, cut out the cameo radio / tv shows, and concentrate wholly on the job in hand.
In all honesty I thought the league was gone after the Livi game, little did I realise we would now be in a dog fight for second.
There is no doubt our cup runs have contributed to Stubbs ( tinkering ) with the team and our poor league performances ( we have scraped way too many 1-0 victories ).
I still think given our teams obvious quality we will have enough to go up through the play offs, but we have to ensure 2nd to avoid an extra 2 games and more injuries suspensions.

COME ON BOYS YOU CAN DO IT. GGTTH

Onion
28-02-2016, 09:29 AM
The way some people on here, and certainly those in the media and at the the PBS, you'd think our one and only opportunity had gone. We've never been favourites to win this league, not thrown away a huge lead or come up short on the final day. This is not Hearts 1986.

Reality:

Hibs goal this season was to get promoted. Beating Sevco to the title was always unlikely and would have been a major shock had we done it. The relief in the media is now palpable. Nothing has changed, it's just going to be a bit harder than we'd all hoped.

Our players have not become bad players overnight. We still have an excellent squad more than capable of securing 2nd place, beating 2 teams and winning promotion. 2 bad games doesn't change that.

We are still in the Scottish Cup, with a home game to put us into the semi-finals.

We are still in a League Cup Final a genuine chance of winning silverware for the first time in 10 years.

IMO some of our players have been trying too hard, others not hard enough. Stubbs now has a management challenge to regroup, refocus and reset players expectations ahead of some great games - the kind of challenge most managers would love. In Stubbs we Trust.

PISTOL1875
28-02-2016, 12:59 PM
The first thing we have to do is get Oxley out of the starting 11.. Only then can we think about moving forward..

Hermit Crab
28-02-2016, 01:22 PM
The first thing we have to do is get Oxley out of the starting 11.. Only then can we think about moving forward..

:agree: