PDA

View Full Version : Just a reminder

FromTheCapital
27-02-2016, 08:38 PM
Wednesday night and today have ended our title challenge, in my opinion.

However, let's put things into perspective and remember what we've got ahead of us and where this club has been in recent times.

Nobody can deny that we've got an excellent team. Two horrific results this week, yes but we need to remember that prior to that, we had lost on once in 27 games, if I remember correctly.

Queen of the South on Tuesday will be difficult. We're in a rough patch and they will be right up for it after our last two results but we must grind something out. A scrappy 1-0 would do.

Ahead of that, we've got Inverness in the Quarter-Final of the Scottish Cup on Sunday and that one will take care of itself. We've always upped our game against better opposition and sides who come and take us on. We've also got the biggest game of our season when we go to Hampden and take on Ross County in the League Cup Final. Two huge games which if we manage to win, we could shape our season from the disaster that folk believe it is now into one of a possible Scottish Cup shot and our first piece of silverware since 2007.

It would be disastrous if we didn't go up this season given how much hope there has been and how good the squad is, but let's not pretend that we cannot get promotion and that we cannot win a cup this season because we've got more than enough ability to do both.

Let's get right behind Stubbs and all the players until the end of the season, enjoy the good times and the occasions that we have to look forward to and in May, we can asses the situation and see whether this season has been great or a massive let down.

Believe in the players, the staff and everyone who has done so much thus far.

We fight to the end.
Together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecat23
27-02-2016, 08:41 PM

However, let's put things into perspective and remember what we've got ahead of us and where this club has been in recent times.

Nobody can deny that we've got an excellent team. Two horrific results this week, yes but we need to remember that prior to that, we had lost on once in 27 games, if I remember correctly.

Queen of the South on Tuesday will be difficult. We're in a rough patch and they will be right up for it after our last two results but we must grind something out. A scrappy 1-0 would do.

Ahead of that, we've got Inverness in the Quarter-Final of the Scottish Cup on Sunday and that one will take care of itself. We've always upped our game against better opposition and sides who come and take us on. We've also got the biggest game of our season when we go to Hampden and take on Ross County in the League Cup Final. Two huge games which if we manage to win, we could shape our season from the disaster that folk believe it is now into one of a possible Scottish Cup shot and our first piece of silverware since 2007.

It would be disastrous if we didn't go up this season given how much hope there has been and how good the squad is, but let's not pretend that we cannot get promotion and that we cannot win a cup this season because we've got more than enough ability to do both.

Let's get right behind Stubbs and all the players until the end of the season, enjoy the good times and the occasions that we have to look forward to and in May, we can asses the situation and see whether this season has been great or a massive let down.

We fight to the end.
Together.

Well said 👏🏼👏🏼🇳🇬🇳🇬

Toldo123
27-02-2016, 08:42 PM
Agree with all your sentiments. Just find it utterly demoralising. Is bad enough to lose once to the past timers of Dumbarton but twice is unforgiveable. As much as the management team have taken the plaudits when things have gone well, they have to take responsibility for the utter debacle that has been the last two games

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Gatecrasher
27-02-2016, 08:43 PM
Spot on, all is still to play for.

Pete
27-02-2016, 08:44 PM

We fight to the end.
Together.

Agree with all that apart from the "disastrous" part.

We simply cut our cloth should we stay down.

stoneyburn hibs
27-02-2016, 08:45 PM

We fight to the end.
Together.

Well said.

FromTheCapital
27-02-2016, 08:45 PM

Personally, I think a third year in this division would be a disaster.

I understand what you're saying and I don't think the club would have a problem financially but season tickets would plummet and the fans who are close to coming back would be driven away again.

FromTheCapital
27-02-2016, 08:47 PM
Agree with all your sentiments. Just find it utterly demoralising. Is bad enough to lose once to the past timers of Dumbarton but twice is unforgiveable. As much as the management team have taken the plaudits when things have gone well, they have to take responsibility for the utter debacle that has been the last two games

I agree. Responsibility has to be taken but just seen a lot of folk saying that our season is over and stuff like that when in reality, it is far from it.

Toldo123
27-02-2016, 08:48 PM
I agree. Responsibility has to be taken but just seen a lot of folk saying that our season is over and stuff like that when in reality, it is far from it.

Agreed all still to play for. Just hope we can find a second wind from somewhere and go again x

Pete
27-02-2016, 08:50 PM
Personally, I think a third year in this division would be a disaster.

I understand what you're saying and I don't think the club would have a problem financially but season tickets would plummet and the fans who are close to coming back would be driven away again.

How do you know season tickets will plummet? Our crowds will probably be down but I simply don't share this apocalyptic outlook. The walk up fans aren't returning anyway so how many are we going to lose? We are down to our hard core as it is.

It will be a kick in the balls and boring but it won't be a disaster. Cup success can take the edge off any financial hit we take.

FromTheCapital
27-02-2016, 08:54 PM
How do you know season tickets will plummet? Our crowds will probably be down but I simply don't share this apocalyptic outlook. The walk up fans aren't returning anyway so how many are we going to lose? We are down to our hard core as it is.

It will be a kick in the balls and boring but it won't be a disaster. Cup success can take the edge off any financial hit we take.

Plummet was probably harsh in fairness.

I'd love to agree with you but I think it would have a sizeable affect on the playing squad (potentially) and the fan base as a whole.

I'll be there next season regardless. Could never turn my back on the club. It's genuinely unthinkable to me :aok:

Greendreamer
27-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Agree with what has been posted.

On the finance front. This season is the last 1 we receive any money from league from parachute payment for relegation.

Golden Bear
27-02-2016, 08:56 PM
Apart from losing our financially, would it really be such a bad thing if we were to lose out to Caley in the Scottish Cup? A defeat might focus the minds of the team on the more important and greater tests towards the end of the season.

Jdawg
27-02-2016, 09:04 PM
To be 3 down to Dumbarton is completely unacceptable as is to lose to them twice, regardless if any from home.

That aside, let's keep encouraging the team on still loads to play for.

Waxy
27-02-2016, 09:11 PM
Apart from losing our financially, would it really be such a bad thing if we were to lose out to Caley in the Scottish Cup? A defeat might focus the minds of the team on the more important and greater tests towards the end of the season.

A winnable Scottish cup home quarter final with the chance of an equally winnable semi if we get there? This team is 3 matches away from being Hibernian Legends. We must give it our all.

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-02-2016, 09:16 PM
Although I of course wanted us to win the league, and thought that we were capable of doing so, it has always been my opinion that we will go up this season via the play offs. That was largely based on my assumption that Sevco would power up and skoosh it. I think that I am allowed to be wee bit frustrated that we have frittered away some games which we really should have won and we are not in second spot solely due to Sevco. Over the piece then we are where I expected us to be , but anyone not disappointed with our form in the last three league games is kidding on .

emerald green
27-02-2016, 09:22 PM

If Hibs are in this league for a third season (at least?) it probably would turn out to be very serious for the club. (I'm not going to use the word disaster which is a very emotive word). Our crowds will definitely go down. There's no probably about it IMHO, it just stands to reason that will happen. Even some of the so-called hard core might decide to call it a day and decide not to renew season tickets.

Furthermore, there is the high probability the club would lose some of it's better players IMHO. Players like McGinn, Cummings, Hanlon and Henderson, I suspect, would not be too keen on spending another season in this league, and the club would be forced to sell to try to balance the books. The club may also find it harder to attract adequate replacements. It then develops into a vicious downward spiral.

"A kick in the balls and boring". So that's all right then? Who wants to go and be bored most weeks watching some of the eye bleeding "park the bus" garbage we've suffered for the last two seasons? "Cup success" is never guaranteed, as we all know.

cleanyman
27-02-2016, 09:32 PM
Get it sorted Hibs.

A stunning collapse in the past week.

FromTheCapital
27-02-2016, 09:33 PM
Although I of course wanted us to win the league, and thought that we were capable of doing so, it has always been my opinion that we will go up this season via the play offs. That was largely based on my assumption that Sevco would power up and skoosh it. I think that I am allowed to be wee bit frustrated that we have frittered away some games which we really should have won and we are not in second spot solely due to Sevco. Over the piece then we are where I expected us to be , but anyone not disappointed with our form in the last three league games is kidding on .

I'm bitterly disappointed with the last three league performances.
Like you said though, winning the league would always be tough. Especially when you consider that Rangers are probably operating on about six or seven times our budget!

mutley
27-02-2016, 09:35 PM
If I look as a glass half full, positive attitude, then even though things are looking a bit grim, nothing is certain and until it becomes mathematically impossible, who knows what can happen.

Yes, things are extremely unlikely and I do know that it will be the play offs (either by being second or third) BUT, nothing is set in stone yet.

Waxy
27-02-2016, 09:45 PM

A winnable Scottish cup home quarter final with the chance of an equally winnable semi if we get there? This team is 3 matches away from being Hibernian Legends. We must give it our all.

FranckSuzy
27-02-2016, 10:41 PM
Agreed all still to play for. Just hope we can find a second wind from somewhere and go again x

:tee hee:

greenlex
27-02-2016, 10:54 PM
If Hibs are in this league for a third season (at least?) it probably would turn out to be very serious for the club. (I'm not going to use the word disaster which is a very emotive word). Our crowds will definitely go down. There's no probably about it IMHO, it just stands to reason that will happen. Even some of the so-called hard core might decide to call it a day and decide not to renew season tickets.

Furthermore, there is the high probability the club would lose some of it's better players IMHO. Players like McGinn, Cummings, Hanlon and Henderson, I suspect, would not be too keen on spending another season in this league, and the club would be forced to sell to try to balance the books. The club may also find it harder to attract adequate replacements. It then develops into a vicious downward spiral.

"A kick in the balls and boring". So that's all right then? Who wants to go and be bored most weeks watching some of the eye bleeding "park the bus" garbage we've suffered for the last two seasons? "Cup success" is never guaranteed, as we all know. win a cup this season. Play good football and be at the top next season. In that scenario do you really think the fans would turn their backs? I think the opposite. A cup winning side with a great chance to be champions winning most weeks could actually see the home crowd increase. The financial deficit from not having Rangers twice at Easter Riad will hit us but it wont be a disaster.i think getting to a Scittish Cup semi final ,our cup final cash and any play off revenue which won't have been budgeted for this season will soften that financial blow should it happen. It's up to us fans to back the team and club whatever division we find ourselves in as always.

FromTheCapital
28-02-2016, 10:57 AM
no. Winning the league is tough when you don't beat teams like the mighty Dumbarton and Morton.
don't understand all this sugar coating dreadful losses.

I'm not sugar coating anything!

I was trying to emphasise how Rangers were always expected to win the league. We've got a squad capable of winning it but we've shot ourselves in the foot.

However, if we win a cup and get up through the Play-Off's, nobody will be left gutted that we didn't win the division.

emerald green
28-02-2016, 11:05 AM

I was trying to emphasise how Rangers were always expected to win the league. We've got a squad capable of winning it but we've shot ourselves in the foot.

However, if we win a cup and get up through the Play-Off's, nobody will be left gutted that we didn't win the division.

There's that word if again. What if we don't?

FromTheCapital
28-02-2016, 11:06 AM
There's that word if again. What if we don't?

Then that's when the complaints can start!

Read my whole post, I said that this season could either be a huge success or a massive let down. The fact that it is neither yet should mean that we are all behind the boys every week to try and make sure it's a success.

Too many people are acting as if we now have nothing to play for.

emerald green
28-02-2016, 11:14 AM
win a cup this season. Play good football and be at the top next season. In that scenario do you really think the fans would turn their backs? I think the opposite. A cup winning side with a great chance to be champions winning most weeks could actually see the home crowd increase. The financial deficit from not having Rangers twice at Easter Riad will hit us but it wont be a disaster.i think getting to a Scittish Cup semi final ,our cup final cash and any play off revenue which won't have been budgeted for this season will soften that financial blow should it happen. It's up to us fans to back the team and club whatever division we find ourselves in as always.

What if we don't? What if Hibs are not at the top next season? That wee word if again. I hope Hibs can win a trophy and get promoted this season.

I think it might be just as difficult next season to get promotion if Hibs stay down and our better players leave the club for much more money elsewhere, and not wanting to spend another season in this p*** league.

My fear is not as many fans will back the team if they stay for a third season in this league, or longer?

portyhibernian
28-02-2016, 11:26 AM
Promotion should be the aim. If we win a cup then great but I don't think that will influence anyone's decision on whether they want to fork out 400 quid for the third time in a row to watch a season of us huff and puff against part timers. I certainly don't want to do that. Right now I'd sacrifice both cups to go up.

emerald green
28-02-2016, 11:34 AM
Then that's when the complaints can start!

Read my whole post, I said that this season could either be a huge success or a massive let down. The fact that it is neither yet should mean that we are all behind the boys every week to try and make sure it's a success.

Too many people are acting as if we now have nothing to play for.

I've been "behind the boys" for over 50 years. So no problem there as far as I'm concerned. However, the supporters can only do so much. Do you think it's unreasonable for supporters to be unhappy at the last couple of results?

It's the team on the park, and the coaches, that have to make sure matches like the last two are won. No more excuses. The last two results have been a massive let down and there is no disguising that fact.

The Championship is now outwith our reach. Only the mega optimistic or deluded really believe Hibs can win it outright now. Hibs might go up via the play-offs, but if recent performances are repeated that will not happen IMHO.

There is everything still to play for, I agree, but right now I personally wouldn't bet on Hibs beating both QOS & ICT unless there is a massive turnaround in form. If a team consistently cannot take enough of the chances it creates, and starts chucking them in at the other end (just recently), then it cannot win football matches. Not enough of them to win things anyway.

FromTheCapital
28-02-2016, 11:37 AM
I've been "behind the boys" for over 50 years. So no problem there as far as I'm concerned. However, the supporters can only do so much. Do you think it's unreasonable for supporters to be unhappy at the last couple of results?

It's the team on the park, and the coaches, that have to make sure matches like the last two are won. No more excuses. The last two results have been a massive let down and there is no disguising that fact.

The Championship is now outwith our reach. Only the mega optimistic or deluded really believe Hibs can win it outright now. Hibs might go up via the play-offs, but if recent performances are repeated that will not happen IMHO.

There is everything still to play for, I agree, but right now I personally wouldn't bet on Hibs beating both QOS & ICT unless there is a massive turnaround in form. If a team consistently cannot take enough of the chances it creates, and starts chucking them in at the other end (just recently), then it cannot win football matches. Not enough of them to win things anyway.

Fair point.

Last two results have been unacceptable and I think the league is now gone.

I was just trying to highlight that winning the Play-Off's and a cup win win would make the title irrelevant amongst some.

It only takes one game to kickstart us again and hopefully it's against QotS on Tuesday :aok:

emerald green
28-02-2016, 11:48 AM
Fair point.

Last two results have been unacceptable and I think the league is now gone.

I was just trying to highlight that winning the Play-Off's and a cup win win would make the title irrelevant amongst some.

It only takes one game to kickstart us again and hopefully it's against QotS on Tuesday :aok:

OK mate, I take your point - the bit in bold.

I hope you are right about the QOS game. :aok:

greenlex
28-02-2016, 03:09 PM
What if we don't? What if Hibs are not at the top next season? That wee word if again. I hope Hibs can win a trophy and get promoted this season.

I think it might be just as difficult next season to get promotion if Hibs stay down and our better players leave the club for much more money elsewhere, and not wanting to spend another season in this p*** league.

My fear is not as many fans will back the team if they stay for a third season in this league, or longer?
What if we do? Nothings a given, ever. Youre a glass half empyif ever there was one. Not beating Rangers to the title this season after we both failed to go up last season was always the danger and I posted this nightmare scenario way back when it was almost ceratin that Hearts would win the league. The fact that we have run them close and with a bit of style is a bonus in my book. Play offs are a lottery. I wont understand fans who wont turn up next season after this seasons efforts in both league and cups even of we end up with nothing.

Wee Effen Bee
28-02-2016, 03:46 PM
i agree with you that we should get behind the team every game but I disagree with you on the too many people acting if we have nothing to play for, I haven't seen that at all.
we react on a game by game basis, we don't wait until the end of the season. Some don't wait til the end of the game.
we rightly applauded the players off in the win against hearts, I know this is stretching your point but should we wait to win the cup before celebrating what we achieved in getting through each round?

Interesting discussion on what might or might not happen this season. Earlier arguments were against some posters using the conditional clause, "if." Surely no one can be certain at this time and say we will definitely win/lose in the cups and play offs so the posters are entitled to supplement their 'glass half full' positive stance with, if! I for one believe we should be very proud of what we have achieved in the cups, and, to a lesser extent, in the league this season. We have defeated 4 teams from the top flight. No matter what happens in the cups now, we have to celebrate these achievements. Hopefully we can celebrate an even greater achievement at Hampden.

emerald green
28-02-2016, 06:36 PM
What if we do? Nothings a given, ever. Youre a glass half empyif ever there was one. Not beating Rangers to the title this season after we both failed to go up last season was always the danger and I posted this nightmare scenario way back when it was almost ceratin that Hearts would win the league. The fact that we have run them close and with a bit of style is a bonus in my book. Play offs are a lottery. I wont understand fans who wont turn up next season after this seasons efforts in both league and cups even of we end up with nothing.

As you say, nothings a given. I'm just asking the question - what if?

As far as being a glass half empty is concerned, I disagree. I prefer to think of myself as a realist having watched Hibs as long as I have. Maybe I should just say I think Hibs will win the Championship, and lift both the League Cup and the Scottish Cup? Then some people would probably say I was daft.

It's not "a fact" that Hibs have run The Rangers close. I don't consider being 11 points behind The Rangers, with a massively inferior goal difference, is running them close at all. But opinions differ obviously.

You may not understand fans who wont turn up for a third consecutive season in the Championship, but if that's what happens it happens. They won't really care whether you understand or not TBH.

greenlex
28-02-2016, 06:55 PM
As you say, nothings a given. I'm just asking the question - what if?

As far as being a glass half empty is concerned, I disagree. I prefer to think of myself as a realist having watched Hibs as long as I have. Maybe I should just say I think Hibs will win the Championship, and lift both the League Cup and the Scottish Cup? Then some people would probably say I was daft.

It's not "a fact" that Hibs have run The Rangers close. I don't consider being 11 points behind The Rangers, with a massively inferior goal difference, is running them close at all. But opinions differ obviously.

You may not understand fans who wont turn up for a third consecutive season in the Championship, but if that's what happens it happens. They won't really care whether you understand or not TBH.
OK my turn for a what if question. What if we win the league cup the Scottush cup and go up in the play offs? Will we fill the corners in?

emerald green
28-02-2016, 07:01 PM
OK my turn for a what if question. What if we win the league cup the Scottush cup and go up in the play offs? Will we fill the corners in?

No need to fill the corners in I don't think. I wish. I would love to see that. But in that happy scenario I think season ticket sales next season would increase considerably.

hibsbollah
28-02-2016, 07:20 PM
FFS there is a massive amount of negativity on this thread. To recap;

League-comfy in 2nd. Most likely scenario come end of season is needing to win a tie against the likes of Falkirk and then St Mirren/Motherwell, hardly cause for panic.

League Cup-In the final. Disposed of Aberdeen Dundee Ute in the way.

Scottish Cup-Quarter Final home fixture against ICT. Already F'ed TH.

I'm happy with the way its gone so far. Aren't we all? :dunno:

neil7908
28-02-2016, 07:28 PM
Need to keep the faith for now. End of the season is the only time when we'll be able to judge if the past year has been a success or a failure. I'm nervous going into the next few games but then I would have been even if we'd beaten Morton and Dumbarton. No use getting worked up about things now when we have everything to play for

Iggy Pope
28-02-2016, 07:33 PM

League-comfy in 2nd. Most likely scenario come end of season is needing to win a tie against the likes of Falkirk and then St Mirren/Motherwell, hardly cause for panic.

Ahem.

GreenBlade
28-02-2016, 07:44 PM

Your kidding right? Cut our cloth should we stay down. With that attitude we may as well shut the gates now. Suggest you go onto Google maps and look up Dumbarton fc. We just got beat by a part time team on a public park in an area of wasteland. We can't cut our cloth any more or we'll be naked. I can't believe this attitude it'll be ok if we win a cup and accept not getting promotion. What on earth has happened to us? Don't any of you realise that if we don't get up we will have to "cut our cloth" to such an extent we may end up mid table in the Championship for years!!!? To hell with the cups. I want the Hibees back up this season. Wake up fcol!

greenlex
28-02-2016, 08:58 PM
Your kidding right? Cut our cloth should we stay down. With that attitude we may as well shut the gates now. Suggest you go onto Google maps and look up Dumbarton fc. We just got beat by a part time team on a public park in an area of wasteland. We can't cut our cloth any more or we'll be naked. I can't believe this attitude it'll be ok if we win a cup and accept not getting promotion. What on earth has happened to us? Don't any of you realise that if we don't get up we will have to "cut our cloth" to such an extent we may end up mid table in the Championship for years!!!? To hell with the cups. I want the Hibees back up this season. Wake up fcol!
Championship mid table for years. FFS what a load of hysterical bollocks.

SkintHibby
28-02-2016, 09:56 PM
Championship mid table for years. FFS what a load of hysterical bollocks.

It's not you know.

Hibs will probably be fighting it out with Dundee Utd and St.Mirren next season and I personally would not bet on Hibs then either.

Rod Petrie has been an absolute disaster for Hibernian FC.

hibsboy69
28-02-2016, 10:19 PM

How are we "comfy in 2nd" ? We're only 2 points ahead of Falkirk (and we've lost have lost more games than then this season!) That doesn't feel "comfy" to me !

Discuss. :aok:

FromTheCapital
28-02-2016, 11:36 PM
It's not you know.

Hibs will probably be fighting it out with Dundee Utd and St.Mirren next season and I personally would not bet on Hibs then either.

Rod Petrie has been an absolute disaster for Hibernian FC.

The same Dundee United that we pummelled 3-0 at Easter Road? And the same St.Mirren side that we demolished 4-1 away? Terrifying.

As for your quote about Petrie, that is laughable. These past two defeats which may have cost us the title have nothing to do with him. Stop living in a Petrie hatred world and move on - like the club and most of the fans have.

Ronniekirk
29-02-2016, 08:56 AM
How are we "comfy in 2nd" ? We're only 2 points ahead of Falkirk (and we've lost have lost more games than then this season!) That doesn't feel "comfy" to me !

Discuss. :aok:

They play a game before we play queen of the south so pressure is now on them to deliver the goods and get three points ,so will be interested to see how they deal with that
If they do win we in Turn can go back above them when we play queens

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-02-2016, 09:54 AM
They play a game before we play queen of the south so pressure is now on them to deliver the goods and get three points ,so will be interested to see how they deal with that
If they do win we in Turn can go back above them when we play queens

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Both games are on tomorrow night.

Ronniekirk
29-02-2016, 10:28 AM
Both games are on tomorrow night.

Thought i had read they were playing tonight Ah well hopefully means we stay above them

Ozyhibby
29-02-2016, 10:39 AM
The same Dundee United that we pummelled 3-0 at Easter Road? And the same St.Mirren side that we demolished 4-1 away? Terrifying.

As for your quote about Petrie, that is laughable. These past two defeats which may have cost us the title have nothing to do with him. Stop living in a Petrie hatred world and move on - like the club and most of the fans have.

Can you explain how the club have moved on from Rod Petrie, given that he is the chairman?
I agree that some fans have moved on though, mostly to other past times.

Paisley Hibby
29-02-2016, 10:47 AM
To be 3 down to Dumbarton is completely unacceptable as is to lose to them twice, regardless if any from home.

That aside, let's keep encouraging the team on still loads to play for.

Well said. Those performances would have been unacceptable from Hibs at any time in our history.

Alfred E Newman
29-02-2016, 12:35 PM

I expected Hibs to win the league or at least be challenging right to the death. I didn't expect us to be out the running by the end of February.