PDA

View Full Version : Too many touches / passes?

mutley
27-02-2016, 06:48 PM
Listening to Hibs TV commentary, and from what I've also seen at our home games - could it be that our players are still taking too many touches and completing too many passes rather than having a shot on goal? Cliff Pike seems to mention it a lot in his commentary.

There has been a lot of occasions where everyone is shouting "SHOOT" and the player (no names mentioned as I'm not singling any player out) will go for another pass, giving the opposing defender time to get in to a better position to block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CL0762
27-02-2016, 06:50 PM
Yep, side to side to side to side to side constantly.

Work it to player in wide area, check back inside, pass to McGinn/Bartley, work to other side and repeat.

Thing that annoys me is that when in the warm doing the shooting practice, they're all incredibly accurate yet very rarely actually take a shot outside the box.

leggeto
27-02-2016, 07:00 PM
Listening to Hibs TV commentary, and from what I've also seen at our home games - could it be that our players are still taking too many touches and completing too many passes rather than having a shot on goal? Cliff Pike seems to mention it a lot in his commentary.

There has been a lot of occasions where everyone is shouting "SHOOT" and the player (no names mentioned as I'm not singling any player out) will go for another pass, giving the opposing defender time to get in to a better position to block.

Yeah I've seen that too,far too passy passy maybe to good for this league, we need to play hoofball to win this league or be awarded loads of penalties

Hibee87
27-02-2016, 07:06 PM
I genuinely think playing against 10 behind the ball and sitting back our problem. We try to pass through them, Stubbs should be telling us to sit back and invite a little pressure, then pass our way through where there is more space. Its no coincidence we have played far better against spl opposition who have more of a go at us

Gmack7
27-02-2016, 07:11 PM
Our system against the teams who we're expected to dominate is far to ponderous, we need pace out wide and cannot rely on our fullbacks to provide the attacking width, squeezing 4very capable midfielders into the center of the park isn't producing enough goals

Jonnyboy
27-02-2016, 08:07 PM
Said as much after the Morton game. We're trying to pass the ball into the net. Why? We're not flippin Barcelona :grr:

Nakedmanoncrack
27-02-2016, 08:10 PM
Its been a feature over last two seasons, slow and over fussy build up.
The best performances - i.e. the cup games against better opposition its been much less evident.

Captain Trips
27-02-2016, 09:00 PM
Too many passes is why we may not be scoring, letting in 6 from 2 games is more a problem

Baldy Foghorn
27-02-2016, 09:03 PM
Far too over elaborate at times....Extra pass, one too many, just shoot.......

Billy Whizz
27-02-2016, 09:04 PM

Shoot, and usually miles over the bar, did plenty of that today

matty_f
27-02-2016, 09:05 PM

:agree:

Baldy Foghorn
27-02-2016, 09:07 PM
Shoot, and usually miles over the bar, did plenty of that today

It was good to see us having more efforts though.....

hfc rd
27-02-2016, 09:47 PM
I also agree with many of the posts here. At times, we always seem to overpass and very rarely try a shot when it's on. One too many passes and trying to walk it in like FC Barcelona.

snedzuk
27-02-2016, 09:49 PM
Yep, side to side to side to side to side constantly.

Work it to player in wide area, check back inside, pass to McGinn/Bartley, work to other side and repeat.

Thing that annoys me is that when in the warm doing the shooting practice, they're all incredibly accurate yet very rarely actually take a shot outside the box.

Pet hate of mine the 'shooty in' from square in front of goal - mix it up a bit FFS.

Lago
27-02-2016, 09:58 PM

Said exactly that when watching the Livi game, passed the ball to death to no effect at some point the ball has to go forward.

madabouthibs
27-02-2016, 10:09 PM
I genuinely think playing against 10 behind the ball and sitting back our problem. We try to pass through them, Stubbs should be telling us to sit back and invite a little pressure, then pass our way through where there is more space. Its no coincidence we have played far better against spl opposition who have more of a go at us

Yes, exactly, we're playing like an SPL team. Probably because we are. :agree:

27-02-2016, 11:10 PM
Team needs more than a Plan A and Plan B.

Some teams are set up to play a passing game - we can deal with that and can play the best off the pitch.

Some teams play hoofball, and we can adapt to that playing against these physical teams - that's why were still in the Scottish Cup.

What we seem unable to deal with is the 10 men behind the ball teams. We seem to get sucked in thinking our more possession will see us through but instead we get caught napping when these teams hit us on the break or from set pieces. Think sometimes we're too nice as a team and just don't get the right delivery into the box to worry defences. Need to learn how to win ugly and stop trying to walk the ball into the net.

Eyrie
28-02-2016, 08:44 AM
Team needs more than a Plan A and Plan B.

Some teams are set up to play a passing game - we can deal with that and can play the best off the pitch.

Some teams play hoofball, and we can adapt to that playing against these physical teams - that's why were still in the Scottish Cup.

What we seem unable to deal with is the 10 men behind the ball teams. We seem to get sucked in thinking our more possession will see us through but instead we get caught napping when these teams hit us on the break or from set pieces. Think sometimes we're too nice as a team and just don't get the right delivery into the box to worry defences. Need to learn how to win ugly and stop trying to walk the ball into the net.

Plan C - play with width to stretch the ten man defence, and tempo to stop it re-organising. Don't be afraid to lose possession by putting balls into the opposition box, because once they have the ball they have to do something with it, which is an opportunity to win it back and then use pace or tempo to exploit the situation before they can re-organise.

Won't work every time we get the ball (or lose it) but over 90 minutes it's the best solution to packed defences.

LeithMike
28-02-2016, 09:36 AM
Our system against the teams who we're expected to dominate is far to ponderous, we need pace out wide and cannot rely on our fullbacks to provide the attacking width, squeezing 4very capable midfielders into the center of the park isn't producing enough goals

As John Barnes says: there's only one way to beat them get round the back!

The current diamond system relies on our full-backs getting forward but they rarely get to the goal-line to cut the ball back. Most crosses are from deep and pretty easy to defend. The full-backs being too far forward also leaves us vulnerable to the counter attack.

This has been our weakness for too long and was evident in the semi-final last year against Falkirk and then again in the play-offs. Stubbs is going to have to adapt if he wants to take us up.

Although Carmichael and Boyle might not be our best players they can actually beat men with pace/skill. Would like to see them in the team (either in 4-4-2 or 4-3-3) with McGinn in the middle with McGeough. At the moment we have 4 players all wanting to get on the ball and pass with no real outlets.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-02-2016, 09:42 AM
Have to say that other teams must be getting told to test our keeper as much as possible. I wonder if the reluctance to shoot and always look for another pass, is an instruction from training. If you don't get a goal from it, then potentially you are giving the ball away.

Ronniekirk
28-02-2016, 10:09 AM
Stats from yesterday

We had 64 % possession
We had 18 attempts on goal
Six were on Target
Resulting in two Goals scored

They had. 8 attempts on goal
Four on Target
Resulting in three goals

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alfred E Newman
28-02-2016, 11:31 AM
Taking the ball to the bye line seems to be an absolute last resort. You have to assume that the players are following instructions. In that position, 9 times out of 10 Stevenson or Gray will turn I back and pass inside. Frustrating to watch.

Hermit Crab
28-02-2016, 11:34 AM
It was good to see us having more efforts though.....

Yes but 18 shots on goal with only 6 on target is very poor finishing, add that into the 16 corner kicks we had too. Dumbarton had 8 shots, 4 on target, scored 3 and only had 1 corner kick. Something is wrong B.

jarre1875
28-02-2016, 11:53 AM
We do seem to nice at times. We really need to start peppering the goals with shots. We will never score without shooting and if we shoot more we might just start putting teams away.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Eyrie
28-02-2016, 11:55 AM
We do seem to nice at times. We really need to start peppering the goals with shots. We will never score without shooting and if we shoot more we might just start putting teams away.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
The alarming thing from both yesterday and Wednesday is that we are shooting, but too often the shots are off target.

reservoir hibee
28-02-2016, 12:04 PM
Said as much after the Morton game. We're trying to pass the ball into the net. Why? We're not flippin Barcelona :grr:

possibly due to lack of width in midfield. it seems to be a narrow diamond formation with the full backs bombing forward. i don't like it. bring back ivan or rougier or mikey oneil or kevin harper or crunchie

love a good winger

blackpoolhibs
28-02-2016, 12:04 PM
As John Barnes says: there's only one way to beat them get round the back!

The current diamond system relies on our full-backs getting forward but they rarely get to the goal-line to cut the ball back. Most crosses are from deep and pretty easy to defend. The full-backs being too far forward also leaves us vulnerable to the counter attack.

This has been our weakness for too long and was evident in the semi-final last year against Falkirk and then again in the play-offs. Stubbs is going to have to adapt if he wants to take us up.

Although Carmichael and Boyle might not be our best players they can actually beat men with pace/skill. Would like to see them in the team (either in 4-4-2 or 4-3-3) with McGinn in the middle with McGeough. At the moment we have 4 players all wanting to get on the ball and pass with no real outlets.

Which sadly is why sevco have been winning most of their games. Swap both their full backs for ours and they'd be struggling to get width and pace down the flanks.