PDA

View Full Version : Dumbarton 3-2Hibs (Henderson)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Captain Trips
28-02-2016, 10:53 AM
How can anyone accept staying down here for another year as long as we manage to beat Ross County? :faf::faf:

This league is utter pish. We need to get out of it ASAP.

This League is utter pish, the SPL is just pish. If asked now League cup or promoted I would go for the trophy. If we win it it will be far more memorable than games v St Johnstone Killie etc. That is just me though.

blackpoolhibs
28-02-2016, 10:56 AM
I am in the camp that if we win the League cup we have had a successful season if not promoted. Stubbs has something most of our other managers didnt have that is 2 targets, yeah we want to finish 3rd in SPL and win something but would we accept 4th in SPL and league cup win next season? I think most would.

I want us to get promoted of course but I look back to 1991 and 2007 and those are days I cannot forget.

Another season with a few defeats by the likes of Dumbarton and Morton will help.

Super_JMcGinn
28-02-2016, 11:05 AM
This League is utter pish, the SPL is just pish. If asked now League cup or promoted I would go for the trophy. If we win it it will be far more memorable than games v St Johnstone Killie etc. That is just me though.

I agree with you, ultimately I would want both, but given the choice of either I would take the cup win.

Onion
28-02-2016, 11:22 AM

Completely agree and quite astonished at the number who would accept a Cup Final defeat in return for promotion. Offer me more years of mediocrity in the Premiership, getting beat more often than not, or winning a major trophy and the answer could not be easier. And if we're the slightest bit better than mediocre, expect our better players and our manager to be touted out to the Celtic or England as punishment.

Winning trophies at Hibs is like beating Celtic. You need to catch them when they least expect it, get in, get out and enjoy the moment.

Ozyhibby
28-02-2016, 11:36 AM
I'd 100% take promotion over a cup in case you think I'm one. As for attendances you mentioned about being 8k if we stay in the championship sadly BH you are kidding yourself on if you think we can get much better in the top flight week in week out. 10k Max.

Still better I agree and would give us more cash but unless Hibs are sitting second or first I doubt we would be anywhere near even 12 or 14K weekly.

Why do you say 10k max?
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160228/75ab22679154ffbbec996f6e0bd876bd.jpg
Here are some of our recent averages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CallumHibs07
28-02-2016, 11:37 AM

I'd rather we get tested week in week out against the likes of Celtic and Aberdeen and competing for European places than play against pub teams in front of 8k. Bizarre that anyone would consider it a successful season if a club of our size stayed down here for a 3rd season in a row so long as we beat County. It would be downright embarrassing.

Thecat23
28-02-2016, 11:38 AM
Why do you say 10k max?
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160228/75ab22679154ffbbec996f6e0bd876bd.jpg
Here are some of our recent averages.

Because we have sadly lost so many fans over the years it will take a couple of good seasons in the top flight to get them back.

blackpoolhibs
28-02-2016, 11:56 AM
Because we have sadly lost so many fans over the years it will take a couple of good seasons in the top flight to get them back.

How many more would you like to guess we'd lose if we had to spend at least another season in the championship?

Ozyhibby
28-02-2016, 11:57 AM

We got back 3000 extra fans in one season between 2003/04 and 04/05.
If we are promoted and are ambitious with our signings next season we can rebuild our support very quickly.
Promotion is a must. We literally can't afford another year in this League without having to cut budgets drastically.

J-C
28-02-2016, 12:07 PM
How many more would you like to guess we'd lose if we had to spend at least another season in the championship?

We'll lose another couple thousand if we stay in this league, promotion is a must.

Thecat23
28-02-2016, 12:20 PM
We got back 3000 extra fans in one season between 2003/04 and 04/05.
If we are promoted and are ambitious with our signings next season we can rebuild our support very quickly.
Promotion is a must. We literally can't afford another year in this League without having to cut budgets drastically.

Ozy with all due respect that was over 10 years ago. A lot has happened in that time, Petrie having a huge effect on many it would seem. Disaster after disaster.

Scottish football has dropped in quality since then as well while price of matches haven't. No danger would we jump to weekly attendances of 12k from 8 or 9k.

I honestly think Hibs would have to have at least 2 seasons sitting in the top 4 or 5 for many more walk ups to attend. Fans are fickle and while many like ourselves will always go they won't plain and simple!

blackpoolhibs
28-02-2016, 12:26 PM
Ozy with all due respect that was over 10 years ago. A lot has happened in that time, Petrie having a huge effect on many it would seem. Disaster after disaster.

Scottish football has dropped in quality since then as well while price of matches haven't. No danger would we jump to weekly attendances of 12k from 8 or 9k.

I honestly think Hibs would have to have at least 2 seasons sitting in the top 4 or 5 for many more walk ups to attend. Fans are fickle and while many like ourselves will always go they won't plain and simple!

So if what you say is true, how much quality would we drop just in our team should we stay in this league, and how many more fickle fans would we lose?

Ozyhibby
28-02-2016, 12:31 PM

Don't think we can blame Scottish football as Hearts and Aberdeen are seeing rises in attendance.
Petrie is an obvious factor but he appears to be Teflon.

Beefster
28-02-2016, 12:33 PM
Don't think we can blame Scottish football as Hearts and Aberdeen are seeing rises in attendance.
Petrie is an obvious factor but he appears to be Teflon.

I wonder how many 'I'm not going back whilst Petrie is there' were at the Hearts game or are going to the cup final.

Ozyhibby
28-02-2016, 12:41 PM
I wonder how many 'I'm not going back whilst Petrie is there' were at the Hearts game or are going to the cup final.

What difference does it make?

Thecat23
28-02-2016, 12:44 PM
So if what you say is true, how much quality would we drop just in our team should we stay in this league, and how many more fickle fans would we lose?

I think we'd lose another 1k. I've no idea about the quality of the team though. We all said after the first year the quality would drop it didn't though.

Ozyhibby
28-02-2016, 12:47 PM
I think we'd lose another 1k. I've no idea about the quality of the team though. We all said after the first year the quality would drop it didn't though.

The quality was only maintained because of the funds provided by the share issue and HSL. Without them our budget would have been cut considerably.

Thecat23
28-02-2016, 12:53 PM
The quality was only maintained because of the funds provided by the share issue and HSL. Without them our budget would have been cut considerably.

Yeah it's been a huge help and its ongoing so the quality shouldn't really drop, plus we have had a great cup run and maybe another on the cards.

Smartie
28-02-2016, 01:20 PM

I think we'd lose another 3-4k.

There are certain factors that have inflated our figures in recent years - the ST sales policy off the back of the 2 Scottish Cup finals for one.

I think a lot of us have accepted we are where we are for a year or 2 and it's been unfortunate that Rangers and Hearts have been in the same league as us and as we've seen progress on the pitch we've stuck by the club. But a third season in a row, a slashed player budget and still charging top whack as we do we'd be doing well to keep 4-5k imo.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-02-2016, 01:27 PM
Hibs fans ( some ) never fail to surprise me. How anyone can say a third season in the 2nd tier of Scottish football wont be that bad is beyond me?

Until such time as we are in the top tier, challenging for AT LEAST 4TH PLACE, this team/club will continue to be a shambles.

Not that bad, jeezo. :rolleyes:

Quite right G, amazing stuff!

Thecat23
28-02-2016, 01:37 PM
I think we'd lose another 3-4k.

There are certain factors that have inflated our figures in recent years - the ST sales policy off the back of the 2 Scottish Cup finals for one.

I think a lot of us have accepted we are where we are for a year or 2 and it's been unfortunate that Rangers and Hearts have been in the same league as us and as we've seen progress on the pitch we've stuck by the club. But a third season in a row, a slashed player budget and still charging top whack as we do we'd be doing well to keep 4-5k imo.

No danger would we lose 4k. I'd be shocked if it was anywhere near that!

Smartie
28-02-2016, 01:43 PM
No danger would we lose 4k. I'd be shocked if it was anywhere near that!

Maybe I'm just a pessimist but whenever there are discussions about how we attract back the missing fans I'm more concerned about how we hang onto the ones we still have.

Stubbs has rebuilt a pretty decent feel-good factor agin these past couple of years and in spite of our recent poor results he's managed to attract some excellent players to the club.

No Stubbs, no Hanlon, no Cummings, no Fyvie, no McGeouch etc - can you seriously see punters pitching up and paying near on 400 notes for another year of games with Alloa and Dumbarton?

Failing to get promoted this year would be catastrophic, more damaging than getting relegated in the first place imo.

Thecat23
28-02-2016, 01:52 PM
Maybe I'm just a pessimist but whenever there are discussions about how we attract back the missing fans I'm more concerned about how we hang onto the ones we still have.

Stubbs has rebuilt a pretty decent feel-good factor agin these past couple of years and in spite of our recent poor results he's managed to attract some excellent players to the club.

No Stubbs, no Hanlon, no Cummings, no Fyvie, no McGeouch etc - can you seriously see punters pitching up and paying near on 400 notes for another year of games with Alloa and Dumbarton?

Failing to get promoted this year would be catastrophic, more damaging than getting relegated in the first place imo.

Are these players defo leaving though? It would depend on who we brought in. Mind when we dropped down everyone thought 2 years would kill us (me included btw) and it hasn't been anywhere near as bad regarding the players we have brought in.

Another year would be horrific and soul destroying it really would but I don't think it would be the end of us or us getting good players to come in. What it would do is set us back though and be another few years before we can rebuild a fan base which will cost the club.

Really hope we do go up and if I'm being honest I think we will, we have shown we can beat any team on our day we just need to be fully focussed.

Smartie
28-02-2016, 02:00 PM
Are these players defo leaving though? It would depend on who we brought in. Mind when we dropped down everyone thought 2 years would kill us (me included btw) and it hasn't been anywhere near as bad regarding the players we have brought in.

Another year would be horrific and soul destroying it really would but I don't think it would be the end of us or us getting good players to come in. What it would do is set us back though and be another few years before we can rebuild a fan base which will cost the club.

Really hope we do go up and if I'm being honest I think we will, we have shown we can beat any team on our day we just need to be fully focussed.

What annoys me in many ways is that we've managed to attract the quality we have to the Championship - wtf were we playing at for the previous 7 or 8 years?

It hasn't been that bad, some of the football we've played at times has been great, it doesn't really matter who it is against.

It's unsustainable though. These players and our manager have bought into the vision of us a Premier League club and were prepared to accept us being where we are and to try and help us get up. It is not in their career interests to stick around - I think they'd be mad to to stay so it would be a re-building job again. It would be a real shame because I think this is a squad that could do very well in the Premier League - I just think we've fallen short of what is expected which is to consistently beat poorer teams.

For all the doom and gloom I agree with you and I do think we'll go up. Whilst it doesn't feel like a blessing in disguise right now our entire club has been given a wake-up call and been sent a message that if we switch off them we can be pumped by just about anyone.

We have the quality - it's up to Stubbs to work out how to use it in the really big games that we still have left. I hope and think he'll get it right because as I've suggested, if he doesn't then another season down here doesn't bear thinking about.

blackpoolhibs
28-02-2016, 02:08 PM

So nothing major then, nothing a cup win wouldn't paper over the cracks with?

Lago
28-02-2016, 02:26 PM

Another year would suck the life out of Hibs.

Thecat23
28-02-2016, 02:27 PM
So nothing major then, nothing a cup win wouldn't paper over the cracks with?

G you have read that I am worried as well right? I'm not saying staying down is good either it's a disaster. Promotion is number one priority I don't know what your arguing with me about.

What I am saying is sacking Stubbs for me would also be a disaster.

Thecat23
28-02-2016, 02:29 PM
Another year would suck the life out of Hibs.

It would defo, I'd be devastated! I'm saying as much as it would be horrible no one can really say for defo the impact after the exact same was said last year, and again I was one of them.

Thecat23
28-02-2016, 02:30 PM
What annoys me in many ways is that we've managed to attract the quality we have to the Championship - wtf were we playing at for the previous 7 or 8 years?

It hasn't been that bad, some of the football we've played at times has been great, it doesn't really matter who it is against.

It's unsustainable though. These players and our manager have bought into the vision of us a Premier League club and were prepared to accept us being where we are and to try and help us get up. It is not in their career interests to stick around - I think they'd be mad to to stay so it would be a re-building job again. It would be a real shame because I think this is a squad that could do very well in the Premier League - I just think we've fallen short of what is expected which is to consistently beat poorer teams.

For all the doom and gloom I agree with you and I do think we'll go up. Whilst it doesn't feel like a blessing in disguise right now our entire club has been given a wake-up call and been sent a message that if we switch off them we can be pumped by just about anyone.

We have the quality - it's up to Stubbs to work out how to use it in the really big games that we still have left. I hope and think he'll get it right because as I've suggested, if he doesn't then another season down here doesn't bear thinking about.

Can't argue with any of that 👍🏼

J-C
28-02-2016, 02:31 PM
G you have read that I am worried as well right? I'm not saying staying down is good either it's a disaster. Promotion is number one priority I don't know what your arguing with me about.

Do you think LD would reconsider Stubbs future if we didn't get out the league?

Lago
28-02-2016, 02:34 PM
I'll ask another question, do you think LD would consider her fiture if we don't get out of this league?

Thecat23
28-02-2016, 02:34 PM

Honestly no.

I think LD and Stubbs are trying to build something. But then again it's football and anything could happen.

Thecat23
28-02-2016, 02:36 PM
I'll ask another question, do you think LD would consider her fiture if we don't get out of this league?

That's what I said to BH because it's just as legit a question as folk saying sack Stubbs. She appointed him so if we don't go up then surely it's on her too?

Before anyone thinks I'm saying they should leave I'm not, they are the best thing to happen to Hibs imo for a very long time.

Pete
28-02-2016, 02:39 PM
Winning trophies at Hibs is like beating Celtic. You need to catch them when they least expect it, get in, get out and enjoy the moment.

Winning trophies at Hibs is very much like making love to a beautiful woman.

Lago
28-02-2016, 02:48 PM
That's what I said to BH because it's just as legit a question as folk saying sack Stubbs. She appointed him so if we don't go up then surely it's on her too?

Before anyone thinks I'm saying they should leave I'm not, they are the best thing to happen to Hibs imo for a very long time.
You know there is a great deal of complacency regarding Hibs spending another season in 2nd tier of Scottish football, I really don't believe people realise how bad it would be for the club & a cup win will in NO way compensate for a lack of promotion. I am old enough to have followed Scottisg club football for 50 + years and one club kind of reminds of where Hibs could end up, Dundee. I can remember when they had international players Gilzean, Ure etc played in Europe & beat the best then financial problems, lost good players relegated and struggled, only now geating to a reasonable level, but they will never be the team I remember from my youth. Hibs beware.

J-C
28-02-2016, 02:56 PM

Do I think LD would go, no.

She has put in place a decent up and coming young manager with a bright future, monies have been made available to bring in better layers, so all that she was brought into do, she has done, the ship has been steadied and we are now a stronger happier club so far because of this.

The big question now is, do we continue to rely on a young rookie manager who still makes mistakes while he learns his trade or do we maybe go for experience and get someone in who could get us up. TBH I want Stubbs to succeed as I really do like him but his continuation with the diamond shape when a lot of the time it doesn't work and his inability to get the team playing at a higher tempo is a concern.

blackpoolhibs
28-02-2016, 03:18 PM

I'm not arguing matey, i'm saying that at this moment in time, in my opinion the cups are important but the main priority is promotion. I'd forgo any cup win for a guaranteed place in the premiership next season.

Promotion is that important for me. I have seen us play 4 times this season, 3 cup games and one league match. If we are still in the championship next year i very much doubt i'd see any league games, and i bet there are many more like me, cup wins or not.

Thecat23
28-02-2016, 03:33 PM
I'm not arguing matey, i'm saying that at this moment in time, in my opinion the cups are important but the main priority is promotion. I'd forgo any cup win for a guaranteed place in the premiership next season.

Promotion is that important for me. I have seen us play 4 times this season, 3 cup games and one league match. If we are still in the championship next year i very much doubt i'd see any league games, and i bet there are many more like me, cup wins or not.

Going up would be my choice over any cups as well. Something I think we will do along with winning a cup.

blackpoolhibs
28-02-2016, 03:37 PM
Going up would be my choice over any cups as well. Something I think we will do along with winning a cup.

:aok:

Beefster
28-02-2016, 03:47 PM
What difference does it make?

A tad hypocritical of them, is it not?

By the way, I don't think Petrie has anything but an infinitesimally trivial impact on attendences and the claim that he's causing hundreds/thousands to stay away is just a stick to beat the club with and/or an easy excuse for folk that can't be arsed going anyway (unless it's a cup final or big derby, which is entirely their prerogative).

Ozyhibby
28-02-2016, 03:56 PM
A tad hypocritical of them, is it not?

By the way, I don't think Petrie has anything but an infinitesimally trivial impact on attendences and the claim that he's causing hundreds/thousands to stay away is just a stick to beat the club with and/or an easy excuse for folk that can't be arsed going anyway (unless it's a cup final or big derby, which is entirely their prerogative).

Never the less, we have lost about 4000 fans over the last 8 years.
Calling them hypocrites does not help the club.
We need to find a way of either tempting them back or replacing them or just accept that we are going to be a long way behind Hearts in terms of player budget long term.
I'd prefer to fightback and get rid of all the reason people give for not attending. Petrie is one of them.

snedzuk
28-02-2016, 04:25 PM
Winning trophies at Hibs is very much like making love to a beautiful woman.

Happens 2 or 3 times in a lifetime and when it does, its over all too quickly....

oneone73
28-02-2016, 04:29 PM
Happens 2 or 3 times in a lifetime and when it does, its over all too quickly....

Speak for yourself. Sometimes I get tired of coming second.