Liverpool v Manchester United

Sparta Prague v Lazio

Borussia Dortmund v Tottenham

Hibernia&Alba
26-02-2016, 12:26 PM
Scouse Hibee already claiming it's a fix :greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-02-2016, 12:29 PM
Bilboa and Valencia looks a decent game as well. Might not see fringe players in this one either.

lyonhibs
26-02-2016, 12:30 PM
Almost find it more exciting than the CL these days to be honest.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-02-2016, 12:30 PM
A nice friendly European tie :greengrin

Hopefully United rest a few players for The FA Cup game against The Hammers on Hibs League Cup Final w-end.

Hibernia&Alba
26-02-2016, 12:31 PM
First leg, Anfield March 10th

Second leg Old Trafford March 17th

It will be the first time the two old rivals have met in Europe.

Hibernia&Alba
26-02-2016, 12:34 PM
Hopefully United rest a few players for The FA Cup game against The Hammers on Hibs League Cup Final w-end.

With the injuries United have, I don't think there's anybody to rest, Hutchy!

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-02-2016, 12:37 PM
With the injuries United have, I don't think there's anybody to rest, Hutchy!

Still, they should just concentrate on securing that Champions League place by winning the trophy! :wink:

Sir David Gray
26-02-2016, 12:47 PM
Can't wait! 👍

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2016, 01:15 PM
Scouse Hibee already claiming it's a fix :greengrin

Scouse Hibee relishing the ties. Trig will be trembling with fear.

weecounty hibby
26-02-2016, 01:17 PM
Haven't watched a European match in more than two years. It is the epitome of all that is wrong with football at the moment. Cartelle run by the richest clubs to make themselves richer. Europa cup is just a spin off of the "champions" league. How many of those teams are there as a consolation of being knocked out of CL? And how many of them were champions?

Hibernia&Alba
26-02-2016, 01:20 PM
Scouse Hibee relishing the ties. Trig will be trembling with fear.

Au contraire, SH, Trig will be watching it with the champagne chilling beside him. Second leg on St Patrick's day at O.T!

CB_NO3
26-02-2016, 01:37 PM
What would happen if it was a Man Utd v Dortmund final and they both qualified for the Champions League through their respective leagues? Who does the Champions League place go to, as the winners of the Europa League qualify for the Champions League.

Craig_HFC
26-02-2016, 01:40 PM
What would happen if it was a Man Utd v Dortmund final and they both qualified for the Champions League through their respective leagues? Who does the Champions League place go to, as the winners of the Europa League qualify for the Champions League.

I would guess it'd go to whoever finished just below the last CL qualifying spot in the league of whichever team wins the Europa League?

So for example, if Man Utd win the Europa League & finish 4th; then I'd guess it'd go to whoever finishes 5th.

Total guesswork though.

weecounty hibby
26-02-2016, 01:49 PM
I would guess it'd go to whoever finished just below the last CL qualifying spot in the league of whichever team wins the Europa League?

So for example, if Man Utd win the Europa League & finish 4th; then I'd guess it'd go to whoever finishes 5th.

Total guesswork though.

Probably right though. As I said above 'champions' league. Total joke just designed to make the rich even richer.

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2016, 01:51 PM

It won't be so no worries.

Hibernia&Alba
26-02-2016, 01:57 PM
It won't be so no worries.

I can't see either United or Liverpool making the final. Spurs might, though Dortmund is a very tough draw.

ballengeich
26-02-2016, 02:00 PM

Total guesswork though.

5th place never brings qualification. If the Europa winners have also qualified via their domestic league there isn't an extra place for the country. It's the same principle as applies to the CL - if the winners have also qualified via their league the country has never been given an extra place.

hibee_nation
26-02-2016, 02:09 PM
Couldn't give a flying @#$& for English football

Lago
26-02-2016, 02:10 PM
A nice friendly European tie :greengrin
And the Europa league will no longer be considered a non event.

Craig_HFC
26-02-2016, 02:12 PM
5th place never brings qualification. If the Europa winners have also qualified via their domestic league there isn't an extra place for the country. It's the same principle as applies to the CL - if the winners have also qualified via their league the country has never been given an extra place.

That last part isn't true. Everton finished 4th the season Liverpool won the CL in Istanbul, they didn't finish in the CL qualifying spots in the league but qualified as CL champions. Everton were still in the CL but maybe entered at an earlier qualifier stage than normal. England had 5 teams in the CL at the start of the next season.

Don't think it's happened since because I think Spurs missed out on the CL after finishing 4th because Chelsea won the CL and finished 5th. They must have changed the rules between 2005 & 2012.

Hibernia&Alba
26-02-2016, 02:14 PM

That's fair enough, mate, but this is a European tie. The last time two English clubs met in the Europa League/UEFA Cup was 1972-73 when Liverpool and Spurs met.

Liverpool won the competition that year :shocked:

ballengeich
26-02-2016, 02:28 PM
That last part isn't true. Everton finished 4th the season Liverpool won the CL in Istanbul, they didn't finish in the CL qualifying spots in the league but qualified as CL champions. Everton were still in the CL but maybe entered at an earlier qualifier stage than normal. England had 5 teams in the CL at the start of the next season.

Don't think it's happened since because I think Spurs missed out on the CL after finishing 4th because Chelsea won the CL and finished 5th. They must have changed the rules between 2005 & 2012.

The last part is true. What I wrote was that if the CL winners had already qualified by league place the country doesn't get an extra place. England got the extra place because the CL winners hadn't qualified via the league. I think the rules were changed as a result of the Liverpool/Everton situation. They were amended again last season which was the first time winning the Europa league brought a CL place. As a result, Spain became the first country since England in the season following Liverpool's success to have five CL entries.

Craig_HFC
26-02-2016, 02:31 PM
The last part is true. What I wrote was that if the CL winners had already qualified by league place the country doesn't get an extra place. England got the extra place because the CL winners hadn't qualified via the league. I think the rules were changed as a result of the Liverpool/Everton situation. They were amended again last season which was the first time winning the Europa league brought a CL place. As a result, Spain became the first country since England in the season following Liverpool's success to have five CL entries.

Got you now, I think we were essentially the same thing despite me disagreeing with you.

:greengrin

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2016, 02:53 PM

Thanks for sharing that.

easty
26-02-2016, 02:55 PM
Dortmund v Spurs as well.
Two cracking games :aok:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe a few years ago Man Utd v Liverpool would be a cracking game. Now it's nae better than Stoke v West Ham.

Hibernia&Alba
26-02-2016, 02:55 PM
Thanks for sharing that.

I'm going to try to get doon there for the second leg, SH. St Patrick's day!

jgl07
26-02-2016, 02:56 PM
And most of us don't give a flying **** what you say.

If you have no interest that why are you on the thread?

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2016, 02:58 PM
I'm going to try to get doon there for the second leg, SH. St Patrick's day!

Should be a cracking tie over two legs, will surely see both teams at full strength and a pretty tight affair I would imagine..................................with Liverpool just shading it.:greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
26-02-2016, 02:59 PM
And most of us don't give a flying **** what you say.

If you have no interest that why are you on the thread?

Bit harsh, mate. He's entitled to his view. The thread title probably attracted him. Nae harm done.

Hibernia&Alba
26-02-2016, 03:01 PM
Should be a cracking tie over two legs, will surely see both teams at full strength and a pretty tight affair I would imagine..................................with Liverpool just shading it.:greengrin

Liverpool charging £56 for United fans at Anfield. Seems steep for Europa League! Would United be obliged to match that for the second leg, do you know?

jgl07
26-02-2016, 03:02 PM
Bit harsh, mate. He's entitled to his view. The thread title probably attracted him. Nae harm done.

So why would anyone who 'does not give a flying **** about English football' be attracted to a thread about Liverpool v Man United?

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Liverpool charging £56 for United fans at Anfield. Seems steep for Europa League! Would United be obliged to match that for the second leg, do you know?

£56 FFS that's scandalous. Not sure on the rules regarding reciprocation of prices in Europa League but would imagine they will charge the same. Europa league tickets at Anfield were always pretty easy to get, not for this one I guess.

Hibernia&Alba
26-02-2016, 03:19 PM
£56 FFS that's scandalous. Not sure on the rules regarding reciprocation of prices in Europa League but would imagine they will charge the same. Europa league tickets at Anfield were always pretty easy to get, not for this one I guess.

Aye, Champions league game between the two and you wouldn't be surprised by £56, but this is Europa League. However, I'm sure demand will be huge.

Itsnoteasy
26-02-2016, 05:17 PM
2 poor teams playing in Europe's equivalent of the league cup.

Billy Whizz
26-02-2016, 06:00 PM
Makes a mockery of the tournament when 2 teams from the same country and drawn in the last 16

hibee_nation
26-02-2016, 06:05 PM
So why would anyone who 'does not give a flying **** about English football' be attracted to a thread about Liverpool v Man United?

Just to upset you, worked a treat

MWHIBBIES
26-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Makes a mockery of the tournament when 2 teams from the same country and drawn in the last 16No it doesn't. Same set-up at Champions league, groups and 1 knockout you cant draw teams from same county, after that it is fair game.

Hibernia&Alba
26-02-2016, 06:12 PM
No it doesn't. Same set-up at Champions league, groups and 1 knockout you cant draw teams from same county, after that it is fair game.

I suspect he was being facetious :wink:

MWHIBBIES
26-02-2016, 06:16 PM
I suspect he was being facetious :wink:You never know on here.

Dashing Bob S
26-02-2016, 07:39 PM
Nice to see a European tournament where some of the clubs actually have a European pedigree, rather than moneybags bores of the chumpions league.

erin go bragh
26-02-2016, 09:15 PM
Maybe a few years ago Man Utd v Liverpool would be a cracking game. Now it's nae better than Stoke v West Ham.

I beg to differ E . A few years ago ,Man U would have destroyed Liverpool in Europe but now it's too close to call . Which in my opinion makes it all the more watchable.

GGTTH

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2016, 09:55 PM
I beg to differ E . A few years ago ,Man U would have destroyed Liverpool in Europe but now it's too close to call . Which in my opinion makes it all the more watchable.

GGTTH

:rotflmao:

IberianHibernian
26-02-2016, 09:56 PM
Couldn't give a flying @#$& for English footballI agree , can`t understand obsession with English football either . Some fans here are English so I understand their English team is their first team and Hibs their second but I wouldn`t even think of talking about Hibs on messageboards of English clubs . I`ve been to hundreds of Spanish games in top 3 divisions there but even when I`ve been to 90% of a team`s home games in a season I`ve never been bothered when team loses while being disappointed if Hibs lose a friendly . With Hibs TV and other online football , even less reason to bother about other clubs . Suppose it`s a TV thing like watching American football .

Pete
26-02-2016, 10:00 PM
Almost find it more exciting than the CL these days to be honest.

:agree:

They also made the draw for the champions league semi finals today.

Real Madrid v Bayern Munich

Barcelona v a random rich team

BORING!!!

mixumatosis
26-02-2016, 10:13 PM
:rotflmao:

Agreed, it's laughable.

For Utd to have destroyed them Liverpool would have had to have qualified for the champions league in the first place. Why were they not there again ?

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2016, 10:31 PM
Agreed, it's laughable.

For Utd to have destroyed them Liverpool would have had to have qualified for the champions league in the first place. Why were they not there again ?

I must have dreamt they were in the CL then!

Pete
26-02-2016, 10:32 PM
Agreed, it's laughable.

I'm not sure this is the best road to go down :hmmm:

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2016, 10:42 PM
Aye, Champions league game between the two and you wouldn't be surprised by £56, but this is Europa League. However, I'm sure demand will be huge.

I see Liverpool have again bowed to pressure from fans and reduced the prices they initially quoted for the game.

silverhibee
27-02-2016, 12:20 AM
I see Liverpool have again bowed to pressure from fans and reduced the prices they initially quoted for the game.

Allright lad, you see Uncle Bobby about tickets. :thumbsup:

lucky
27-02-2016, 08:19 AM

Really! I'm delighted to be in the league cup final. This will be a cracking tie and both clubs will want to win the trophy. I just don't get why winning cups that your in now regarded as second class

Pete
27-02-2016, 12:07 PM
Really! I'm delighted to be in the league cup final. This will be a cracking tie and both clubs will want to win the trophy. I just don't get why winning cups that your in now regarded as second class

It's this modern, Internet based attitude that some trophies and teams are "wee" while others are "big".

The sort of people who buy into it are the sort who would jump off a cliff if someone told them to do so enough times.

jgl07
27-02-2016, 12:24 PM

Neither of them are my favourite teams!

But regardless of that it is going to be one hell of a tie.

Hopefully it will raise the profile of the Europa League with EPL clubs and convince them to take it more seriously. Too often they have put out second string teams in the Europa League. It can be a pain playing on a Thursday night sometimes with a 6:00pm kick off.

England are in severe danger of losing a Champions League place to Italy within the next two years if their teams do not score ranking points in this competition.