PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember Sonny Pike, child prodigy?

s.a.m
25-02-2016, 12:29 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/25/sonny-pike-football-prodigy-head-finished?CMP=share_btn_tw

Always wondered what came of him.

Future17
25-02-2016, 02:10 PM
That's heartbreaking. There's definitely lessons to be learned there for the future of young kids in football.

Purple & Green
25-02-2016, 11:00 PM
Wsc done an article on him a few years back, and I seem to recall it was a bit ahem, different to that.

I remember the Ajax thing in news at ten though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bishop Hibee
26-02-2016, 12:13 AM
A sad tale but really just a grander scale of what happens to a lot of talented youngsters. Others like Freddy Adu and Tom Taiwo who must have been on good wages as youngsters at least made something of a career after being exceptional in their teens. Best player in my year at school signed for Norwich City, didn't make it. Signed for Dundee didn't make it. Signed for Cowdenbeath didn't make it. Players of lesser ability in the years above and below but who had a greater mental toughness went on to have good professional career.

Guy seems happy enough but it is amazing that he was so sick of football that he has hardly any interest in it now.

Bishop Hibee
26-02-2016, 12:16 AM
Wsc done an article on him a few years back, and I seem to recall it was a bit ahem, different to that.

I remember the Ajax thing in news at ten though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The article is here http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/26-the-strange-case-of/2012-sonny-pike

greenlex
26-02-2016, 12:25 AM
A sad tale but really just a grander scale of what happens to a lot of talented youngsters. Others like Freddy Adu and Tom Taiwo who must have been on good wages as youngsters at least made something of a career after being exceptional in their teens. Best player in my year at school signed for Norwich City, didn't make it. Signed for Dundee didn't make it. Signed for Cowdenbeath didn't make it. Players of lesser ability in the years above and below but who had a greater mental toughness went on to have good professional career.

Guy seems happy enough but it is amazing that he was so sick of football that he has hardly any interest in it now.

Played boys club football back in the day with the whole team all on S forms up and down the whole of Britain. All except one guy. Norrie McCathie. Only one that did anything of note at the end up.

cad
26-02-2016, 04:43 AM
Listened to him this week on the radio,the vultures were in and around very early his dad didnt help .
One name that sticks out is Eric "monster monster" Hall you wouldnt let him look after a budgie .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vayGlvEh1jg

Allant1981
26-02-2016, 07:48 AM
Money has a lot to answer for, yip we all need it but at that age he should have just been left to get on with it and enjoy playing football. There should be some type of salary cap for young footballers anyway, i remember a guy i wemt to school with who signed for a premier league team in scotland and was getting close to 1k per week and that was a good few years ago, wasnt that good but made money from the game up here and down south