PDA

View Full Version : East stand incident

Kiddo
24-02-2016, 09:45 PM
Anyone know what happened in the east tonight? Not long after we went 3 down, seen everyone standing up and looking down to the south end but couldn't make out what was happening

Pretty Boy
24-02-2016, 09:46 PM
Saw some stewards running over from the Morton section as well.

Was worried folk were fighting amongst themselves, which would have been tragic, but didn't look like that, from a distance anyway.

madhatter
24-02-2016, 09:48 PM
Saw some stewards running over from the Morton section as well.

Was worried folk were fighting amongst themselves, which would have been tragic, but didn't look like that, from a distance anyway.

Sadly from where I was sitting looked like people were fighting amongst themselves. Hopefully not but didn't look good.

woodyhfc4892
24-02-2016, 09:50 PM
Fans weren't fighting amongst themselves, there was bother between a set of supporters and stewards

madhatter
24-02-2016, 09:51 PM
Fans weren't fighting amongst themselves, there was bother between a set of supporters and stewards

That's kind of good news. Still not the best though. What kicked it off?

Danderhall Hibs
24-02-2016, 09:52 PM
Looked like some Morton fans tried to break the security tape as well?

dp00
24-02-2016, 09:53 PM
That will be us joining the big team over the road in not being allowed to hold police free games anymore coating the club money which could be better spent all because some folk can't behave at a game of football

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
24-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Axe the Act

HappyAsHellas
24-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Think the stewards were trying to eject a couple of guys, presumably for abusing players or the like, but they were having none of it and shoved a female steward away. She came into the terracing and shoved a guy over. The guy wasn't related to the original incident in any way. After she done this lots of people started giving her dogs abuse and the hordes of 12 - 14 year olds appeared from everywhere and eventually the police showed up. All in all it was less entertaining than the game itself.

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-02-2016, 09:57 PM
Think the stewards were trying to eject a couple of guys, presumably for abusing players or the like, but they were having none of it and shoved a female steward away. She came into the terracing and shoved a guy over. The guy wasn't related to the original incident in any way. After she done this lots of people started giving her dogs abuse and the hordes of 12 - 14 year olds appeared from everywhere and eventually the police showed up. All in all it was less entertaining than the game itself.

That's pretty much how I saw it as well. All in all, a truly pish evening

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-02-2016, 09:57 PM
That will be us joining the big team over the road in not being allowed to hold police free games anymore coating the club money which could be better spent all because some folk can't behave at a game of football

That was my first thought when I seen the two police officers rock up. Hopefully not.

HappyAsHellas
24-02-2016, 09:59 PM
That's pretty much how I saw it as well. All in all, a truly pish evening

You must have a rosier outlook on things than I do..............

zolliehibs
24-02-2016, 09:59 PM
I sit about 10/15 rows up in that section - didn't see exactly what kicked it off but appeared that, for whatever reason, one female steward was trying to haul a kid over the barrier to remove him from the stand - and being a bit over-aggressive in the process. Some others, including one big lad who was with the kid, took exception and helped shield him from her and a few others stood up and moved towards the situation.

Not sure where the kid went after that but seemed to calm down afterwards and by the time the G4S world champs were standing at the pitch barely anyone was even still there. They kept the first steward away from the stand though, probably for the best.

SOLGirl
24-02-2016, 10:01 PM
There was also some numpty who threw a full cup of juice down from the back of the east. Hit a guy on the head and soaked an older man- no need. They must have known it would end up hitting a fellow Hibby- absolute idiot.

Forever_Green93
24-02-2016, 10:41 PM
didn't see exactly what kicked it off but appeared that, for whatever reason, one female steward was trying to haul a kid over the barrier to remove him from the stand - and being a bit over-aggressive in the process. Some others, including one big lad who was with the kid, took exception and helped shield him from her and a few others stood up and moved towards the situation.

A male and female G4S stewards were trying to remove a teenage boy from the bottom of section 44 and at first the teenage boy cooperated and then all of a sudden he started punching the male G4S steward and then his mate came down (the big lad) to try and help him/defend him and then one of them lamped the female G4S steward and she was raging, thats why she was trying to haul the boy over the barrier and then for some reason she came into the terracing and walked up the stairs and pushed over a random middle aged guy who had nothing to do with the incident.

Thecat23
24-02-2016, 10:42 PM
I'd heard someone called Maureen pushed over a wee laddie!

monktonharp
24-02-2016, 11:20 PM
A male and female G4S stewards were trying to remove a teenage boy from the bottom of section 44 and at first the teenage boy cooperated and then all of a sudden he started punching the male G4S steward and then his mate came down (the big lad) to try and help him/defend him and then one of them lamped the female G4S steward and she was raging, thats why she was trying to haul the boy over the barrier and then for some reason she came into the terracing and walked up the stairs and pushed over a random middle aged guy who had nothing to do with the incident.I wont comment on tonight's incident by I don't like G4S operating, at the club I love. the company has a worldwide operation and a particularly sickening reputation regarding their operations in Palestine. tonight's crew were Event Stewards, and were very unhelpful when I approached several of them tonight in the FF Stand. they referred me to a supervisor for my problem, who in turn just told me, see them cos I'm gaun trackside. :rolleyes:

matty_f
24-02-2016, 11:29 PM
Axe the Act

:agree:

Silky
25-02-2016, 05:37 AM
:agree:

Should axe the pricks from Easter Road first! Nae need for that carry on.

overdrive
25-02-2016, 06:29 AM
There was an incident before the game outside the turnstiles for the FF Upper. A male and female steward being overly aggressive with a young girl/woman (couldn't quite gauge the age due to the ridiculous manhandling of her by the stewards). Her dad was being restrained by a steward so he couldn't go with her. The behaviour of the stewards involved was disgraceful. I didn't see what instigated it all but whatever it was I highly doubt it warranted the reaction.

monktonharp
25-02-2016, 12:48 PM
There was an incident before the game outside the turnstiles for the FF Upper. A male and female steward being overly aggressive with a young girl/woman (couldn't quite gauge the age due to the ridiculous manhandling of her by the stewards). Her dad was being restrained by a steward so he couldn't go with her. The behaviour of the stewards involved was disgraceful. I didn't see what instigated it all but whatever it was I highly doubt it warranted the reaction.I think you are relating to an incident at the replay game/ I saw a guy being restrained by police and stewards were dragging a acreaming lassie out of the ground, and I am sure she had an even smaller girl wi her. the guy was being held, just next to turnstyles at half time.

JJP
25-02-2016, 04:15 PM
Heard a female steward was attacked in the Famous 5 as well by a man and a woman. Apparently while the couples kids were watching.

MKHIBEE
25-02-2016, 05:09 PM
Heard a female steward was attacked in the Famous 5 as well by a man and a woman. Apparently while the couples kids were watching.

Thats shocking if true, hope they identify and ban them

overdrive
25-02-2016, 05:26 PM
I think you are relating to an incident at the replay game/ I saw a guy being restrained by police and stewards were dragging a acreaming lassie out of the ground, and I am sure she had an even smaller girl wi her. the guy was being held, just next to turnstyles at half time.

No, the incident was last night. I wasn't at the replay.

fat freddy
25-02-2016, 05:38 PM
I got caught up in the incident outside the Famous Five upper turnstiles last night, several people were refused entry as the automated ticket machine was acting up again, there was half a dozen of us waiting for the supervisor to arrive so that we could get admittance, it seemed silly as we all had legitimate tickets but the female steward was playing it by the book rather than just letting us in through the big doors which seemed the more sensible option as kick off was fast approaching...As we waited an agitated fan approached the steward and asked that he be allowed entry as his season ticket refused him entry at the automated turnstile however his child, who was disabled in some way, had gained entry and was alone inside the concourse. The steward showed her inexperience and refused him entry even though the guy was with his wife and daughter and had his season ticket card in his hand. To be honest, the guy lost it a wee bit, the steward pushed him back as he attempted to get in and he repeatably asked her to stop touching him, it started to get messy and more stewards arrived, the guy had his card taken from him and he responded by swiping the stewards security badge which hung from her neck, she later claimed he punched her but I didn't see it. It took at least 5 minutes for the cops to arrive and by this point there were half a dozen stewards on the guy and it looked like his wife had become embroiled in the rugby scrum too. It was only when the cops arrived that the stewards were then able to deal with the rest of the fans who were being refused entry because of the faulty automated ticket machine and I had to leave a half decent tag team fight to watch what can only be described as an anti climax to the supporting bout... At the time I felt that the stewards made a mountain out of a molehill, they acted with no compassion towards a family that had lost their boy inside a big football stadium, a few of us told them at the start of it all to just let the guy in so he could get his son but the steward insisted that the supervisor deal with it, when the supervisor finally arrived he looked like he was a crush barrier short of a full terracing and he totally over reacted. The dad should have been a bit calmer though, I asked him to calm down as he wasn't doing himself any favours but his concern for his boy clouded his judgement. A situation easily avoided if the turnstiles worked and the stewards had half a brain between them.

theonlywayisup
25-02-2016, 08:09 PM
I got caught up in the incident outside the Famous Five upper turnstiles last night, several people were refused entry as the automated ticket machine was acting up again, there was half a dozen of us waiting for the supervisor to arrive so that we could get admittance, it seemed silly as we all had legitimate tickets but the female steward was playing it by the book rather than just letting us in through the big doors which seemed the more sensible option as kick off was fast approaching...As we waited an agitated fan approached the steward and asked that he be allowed entry as his season ticket refused him entry at the automated turnstile however his child, who was disabled in some way, had gained entry and was alone inside the concourse. The steward showed her inexperience and refused him entry even though the guy was with his wife and daughter and had his season ticket card in his hand. To be honest, the guy lost it a wee bit, the steward pushed him back as he attempted to get in and he repeatably asked her to stop touching him, it started to get messy and more stewards arrived, the guy had his card taken from him and he responded by swiping the stewards security badge which hung from her neck, she later claimed he punched her but I didn't see it. It took at least 5 minutes for the cops to arrive and by this point there were half a dozen stewards on the guy and it looked like his wife had become embroiled in the rugby scrum too. It was only when the cops arrived that the stewards were then able to deal with the rest of the fans who were being refused entry because of the faulty automated ticket machine and I had to leave a half decent tag team fight to watch what can only be described as an anti climax to the supporting bout... At the time I felt that the stewards made a mountain out of a molehill, they acted with no compassion towards a family that had lost their boy inside a big football stadium, a few of us told them at the start of it all to just let the guy in so he could get his son but the steward insisted that the supervisor deal with it, when the supervisor finally arrived he looked like he was a crush barrier short of a full terracing and he totally over reacted. The dad should have been a bit calmer though, I asked him to calm down as he wasn't doing himself any favours but his concern for his boy clouded his judgement. A situation easily avoided if the turnstiles worked and the stewards had half a brain between them.

Hibs do need to have a policy on what to do when this situation (kid is inside, whilst parent is outside refused entry) happens.

I always send my wee boy in first. I'm a pretty quiet individual, but I would be going ape if my kid was inside alone, whilst I was outside. Any caring parent would.

Maybe someone (ie fans representatives) should be asking Hibs what their policy is in such cases.

Scott Allan Key
25-02-2016, 08:30 PM
I wont comment on tonight's incident by I don't like G4S operating, at the club I love. the company has a worldwide operation and a particularly sickening reputation regarding their operations in Palestine. tonight's crew were Event Stewards, and were very unhelpful when I approached several of them tonight in the FF Stand. they referred me to a supervisor for my problem, who in turn just told me, see them cos I'm gaun trackside. :rolleyes:

I'm with you on G4S and can't comment on incident either. Do Hibs rent out space to them in one of the stands? I personally don't think we should be taking their money if so, but corporate aspirations dictate our income streams not morals. Would be great if fan ownership could change some of these decisions and who stewards us might be one such.

dp00
25-02-2016, 09:13 PM
Hibs need to sort out the ticket machine in the famous five, on Sunday my ticket wouldn't scan and I had to wait there for 5 minutes for the supervisor to come, do they not allow these stewards to use there own brain to make a decision

monktonharp
25-02-2016, 09:28 PM
Hibs need to sort out the ticket machine in the famous five, on Sunday my ticket wouldn't scan and I had to wait there for 5 minutes for the supervisor to come, do they not allow these stewards to use there own brain to make a decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkthey may well insist on them using their own brain(s) but that is the burning question, about over half of them.

leggeto
25-02-2016, 09:37 PM
Hibs do need to have a policy on what to do when this situation (kid is inside, whilst parent is outside refused entry) happens.

I always send my wee boy in first. I'm a pretty quiet individual, but I would be going ape if my kid was inside alone, whilst I was outside. Any caring parent would.

Maybe someone (ie fans representatives) should be asking Hibs what their policy is in such cases.

This happened to me last year but the steward let me in because my son was already through the turnstile

The Harp Awakes
25-02-2016, 10:14 PM

Wow, if that's an accurate account of what happened, Hibs should be hauling in the top man at G4S and asking for an explanation. Indefensible not to allow the parents in, in those circumstances to be with their disabled Son.

sleeping giant
25-02-2016, 10:35 PM
Wow, if that's an accurate account of what happened, Hibs should be hauling in the top man at G4S and asking for an explanation. Indefensible not to allow the parents in, in those circumstances to be with their disabled Son.

I remember something similar at Easter rd a couple of years ago.
It really needs looked at.

SON OF PADDY
25-02-2016, 10:38 PM
I got caught up in the incident outside the Famous Five upper turnstiles last night, several people were refused entry as the automated ticket machine was acting up again, there was half a dozen of us waiting for the supervisor to arrive so that we could get admittance, it seemed silly as we all had legitimate tickets but the female steward was playing it by the book rather than just letting us in through the big doors which seemed the more sensible option as kick off was fast approaching...As we waited an agitated fan approached the steward and asked that he be allowed entry as his season ticket refused him entry at the automated turnstile however his child, who was disabled in some way, had gained entry and was alone inside the concourse. The steward showed her inexperience and refused him entry even though the guy was with his wife and daughter and had his season ticket card in his hand. To be honest, the guy lost it a wee bit, the steward pushed him back as he attempted to get in and he repeatably asked her to stop touching him, it started to get messy and more stewards arrived, the guy had his card taken from him and he responded by swiping the stewards security badge which hung from her neck, she later claimed he punched her but I didn't see it. It took at least 5 minutes for the cops to arrive and by this point there were half a dozen stewards on the guy and it looked like his wife had become embroiled in the rugby scrum too. It was only when the cops arrived that the stewards were then able to deal with the rest of the fans who were being refused entry because of the faulty automated ticket machine and I had to leave a half decent tag team fight to watch what can only be described as an anti climax to the supporting bout... At the time I felt that the stewards made a mountain out of a molehill, they acted with no compassion towards a family that had lost their boy inside a big football stadium, a few of us told them at the start of it all to just let the guy in so he could get his son but the steward insisted that the supervisor deal with it, when the supervisor finally arrived he looked like he was a crush barrier short of a full terracing and he totally over reacted. The dad should have been a bit calmer though, I asked him to calm down as he wasn't doing himself any favours but his concern for his boy clouded his judgement. A situation easily avoided if the turnstiles worked and the stewards had half a brain between
them.

I hope you're willing to be a witness
to this disgraceful act of bullying bye the so called stewards.

macca70
26-02-2016, 06:20 AM

There's always 2 sides to a story though and generally it's the steward that is being made out to be in the wrong. Generally, I think folk have no respect for the stewards and turn aggressive towards them in the majority of situations like this.

Fair enough, this doesn't sound like it was handled ideally but you can't be ignoring a steward and just barging your way past.

If you are that concerned for the welfare of your child, tell them to stand by a steward on the other side for a couple of minutes til the situation is resolved or explain to the steward and have your child come back through the exit until you resolve your ticket situation.

JJP
26-02-2016, 07:17 AM
There's always 2 sides to a story though and generally it's the steward that is being made out to be in the wrong. Generally, I think folk have no respect for the stewards and turn aggressive towards them in the majority of situations like this.

Fair enough, this doesn't sound like it was handled ideally but you can't be ignoring a steward and just barging your way past.

If you are that concerned for the welfare of your child, tell them to stand by a steward on the other side for a couple of minutes til the situation is resolved or explain to the steward and have your child come back through the exit until you resolve your ticket situation.

Sounds like a better resolution to me. I think you can see the attitudes the stewards have to put up with in some of the posts on this thread. Can't be easy. Personally never had an issue with any stewards while at Easter Road. I've never struggled to enter the stadium, take my seat, watch the game and leave at the end. Some people can't seem to manage that without drawing attention to themselves but I guess it's always someone else's fault.

marinello59
26-02-2016, 08:08 AM
Sounds like a better resolution to me. I think you can see the attitudes the stewards have to put up with in some of the posts on this thread. Can't be easy. Personally never had an issue with any stewards while at Easter Road. I've never struggled to enter the stadium, take my seat, watch the game and leave at the end. Some people can't seem to manage that without drawing attention to themselves but I guess it's always someone else's fault.

I've witnessed several incidents over the years involving stewards which have then been reported on here. The only one where a steward was well out of order was at Tannadice. All the others have seen a fair bit of provocation towards the steward before any action was taken by them. I'm not saying there aren't a fair few lacking basic customer skills but in the main they do an ok job for poor wages and very little thanks.

O'Rourke3
26-02-2016, 08:34 AM
The process needs to be sorted and I'm not going to comment on the behaviour of the Stewards but will offer up a scenario. Stewards surrounded by fans claiming they cannot get in. Meanwhile the carrier brings in the flare, bottle, whatever. The people at the gate are there to check people going in.

I got caught outside and my daughter inside, earlier in the season. After a "Stay where you are" and "I'll be in". Steward called the supervisor who was at the far end of the West. 1 Supervisor for the West stand was the issue. It was an uncomfortable 5 or so minutes before I got in but there was no sense panicking. I appreciate my 15 yr old is a different scene than a younger and perhaps disabled and scared child. I reckon I'd have been shouting too.

By now the club must know roughly how many interventions they need in the 20 minutes towards the kick off. Having more people at the turnstyles is the solution. One for the Fans reps methinks.

tartanhibee
26-02-2016, 09:02 AM
I take my son (4) and I hate the turnstiles, I'm usually lucky that there is 2 adults so 1 aldult in then my son then next adult so there is someone with him should any issues arise. I imagine that I'd be pretty stressed if he was in the ground and I couldn't get in and hope that stewards would use common sense to rectify the situation.

lord bunberry
26-02-2016, 09:35 AM
I take my son (4) and I hate the turnstiles, I'm usually lucky that there is 2 adults so 1 aldult in then my son then next adult so there is someone with him should any issues arise. I imagine that I'd be pretty stressed if he was in the ground and I couldn't get in and hope that stewards would use common sense to rectify the situation.
I do the same with my daughter, but I'd be in a panic if she was in there on her own and I couldn't get in. Surely the steward should be going and finding your child and bringing them out to you before finding a supervisor! Once you're reunited with your child the situation with the turnstile can be resolved.

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2016, 09:56 AM
I've witnessed several incidents over the years involving stewards which have then been reported on here. The only one where a steward was well out of order was at Tannadice. All the others have seen a fair bit of provocation towards the steward before any action was taken by them. I'm not saying there aren't a fair few lacking basic customer skills but in the main they do an ok job for poor wages and very little thanks.

Agreed, stewards are normal guys often football fans doing a decent job mainly. To tar them all because of a couple of incidents is nonsense. For what it's worth I arrived early on Wednesday and had a decent conversation with one of the G4S stewards in the West Upper. The guy was bussed in from Glasgow,a St Mirren fan who said he loved coming to ER both as a fan and when working. Great banter in the pubs before the games as a fan and well respected by the majority of fans when working at games was what he said. Just a normal working guy earning a living whilst getting to watch plenty of football.

hibee_nation
26-02-2016, 09:57 AM
Forward planning helps too. I have a spot picked out which my bairn would go to in any unexpected eventuality and she is told not to move for no one till i get her.

hibbycraig
26-02-2016, 09:58 AM
If you have young kids you can go to the steward standing at the disabled gates and ask to be let through there. If you explain that you don't want your kids going through on their own they will scan your tickets there and let you through.

NAE NOOKIE
26-02-2016, 10:11 AM

Don't know if its a factor, but when I was at ER on Tuesday there was obviously a burst pipe or something in the FF and water was pouring down the back of the stand directly above the turnstiles on the west stand side ... could have screwed the electrics.

FranckSuzy
26-02-2016, 10:19 AM
I do the same with my daughter, but I'd be in a panic if she was in there on her own and I couldn't get in. Surely the steward should be going and finding your child and bringing them out to you before finding a supervisor! Once you're reunited with your child the situation with the turnstile can be resolved.

I was not aware of this specific incident but I agree 100%. Surely the Stewards, who are standing monitoring the turnstiles inside the ground, must have had training in dealing with children/vulnerable people who are separated from their parent/carer/friend? I worked in Tesco many moons ago and if there was a lone child, a whole system kicked in and one of us would remain with them until their parent (usually) appeared.

The priority must be to reunite them THEN deal with the ticket scanning etc, etc.

lord bunberry
26-02-2016, 10:22 AM
I was not aware of this specific incident but I agree 100%. Surely the Stewards, who are standing monitoring the turnstiles inside the ground, must have had training in dealing with children/vulnerable people who are separated from their parent/carer/friend? I worked in Tesco many moons ago and if there was a lone child, a whole system kicked in and one of us would remain with them until their parent (usually) appeared.

The priority must be to reunite them THEN deal with the ticket scanning etc, etc.
It just seems so obvious to me and it would also defuse any potential trouble at the same time.

FranckSuzy
26-02-2016, 10:27 AM
It just seems so obvious to me and it would also defuse any potential trouble at the same time.

Precisely. Also, surely the Stewards are there to maintain a safe environment for all attendees, NOT just the scanning of tickets.....

silverhibee
26-02-2016, 10:51 AM
Agreed, stewards are normal guys often football fans doing a decent job mainly. To tar them all because of a couple of incidents is nonsense. For what it's worth I arrived early on Wednesday and had a decent conversation with one of the G4S stewards in the West Upper. The guy was bussed in from Glasgow,a St Mirren fan who said he loved coming to ER both as a fan and when working. Great banter in the pubs before the games as a fan and well respected by the majority of fans when working at games was what he said. Just a normal working guy earning a living whilst getting to watch plenty of football.

Was it the scouser chap who normally does the West upper for the good seats. Nice chap.

macca70
26-02-2016, 10:55 AM
Precisely. Also, surely the Stewards are there to maintain a safe environment for all attendees, NOT just the scanning of tickets.....

Maybe they do more than just scan tickets but when supporters get angry and aggressive and completely disregard any instructions the steward is giving, it creates these completely avoidable situations.

Cauld Bovril
26-02-2016, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=fat freddy;4598951]I got caught up in the incident outside the Famous Five upper turnstiles last night, several people were refused entry as the automated ticket machine was acting up again, there was half a dozen of us waiting for the supervisor to arrive so that we could get admittance, it seemed silly as we all had legitimate tickets but the female steward was playing it by the book rather than just letting us in through the big doors which seemed the more sensible option as kick off was fast approaching...As we waited an agitated fan approached the steward and asked that he be allowed entry as his season ticket refused him entry at the automated turnstile however his child, who was disabled in some way, had gained entry and was alone inside the concourse. The steward showed her inexperience and refused him entry even though the guy was with his wife and daughter and had his season ticket card in his hand. To be honest, the guy lost it a wee bit, the steward pushed him back as he attempted to get in and he repeatably asked her to stop touching him, it started to get messy and more stewards arrived, the guy had his card taken from him and he responded by swiping the stewards security badge which hung from her neck, she later claimed he punched her but I didn't see it. It took at least 5 minutes for the cops to arrive and by this point there were half a dozen stewards on the guy and it looked like his wife had become embroiled in the rugby scrum too. It was only when the cops arrived that the stewards were then able to deal with the rest of the fans who were being refused entry because of the faulty automated ticket machine and I had to leave a half decent tag team fight to watch what can only be described as an anti climax to the supporting bout... At the time I felt that the stewards made a mountain out of a molehill, they acted with no compassion towards a family that had lost their boy inside a big football stadium, a few of us told them at the start of it all to just let the guy in so he could get his son but the steward insisted that the supervisor deal with it, when the supervisor finally arrived he looked like he was a crush barrier short of a full terracing and he totally over reacted. The dad should have been a bit calmer though, I asked him to calm down as he wasn't doing himself any favours but his concern for his boy clouded his judgement. A situation easily avoided if the turnstiles worked and the stewards had half a brain between them.[/QUO

Same thing happened to me. I give my laddie his season ticket to go in first but mine never worked. The female steward took me to the supervisor at the gate and he let me in after checking my season ticket. I got a wee bit panicked, as it's never happened before, but it was dealt with quickly. I'm hoping we came after the incident quoted above and a lesson had been learned.

Jack
26-02-2016, 11:00 AM
Perhaps there's a need for a manned turnstile specifically for adults with younger children or those that need a little more attention.

It would be easy enough in the East where the concourse is the full length of the stand, not sure about the others.

macca70
26-02-2016, 11:47 AM
Perhaps there's a need for a manned turnstile specifically for adults with younger children or those that need a little more attention.

It would be easy enough in the East where the concourse is the full length of the stand, not sure about the others.

As per someone's comment above, there already is this facility, there is a steward with a handheld scanner at the big exit gates that can scan your ticket and let you in rather than going through the turnstile.

FranckSuzy
26-02-2016, 11:48 AM
Maybe they do more than just scan tickets but when supporters get angry and aggressive and completely disregard any instructions the steward is giving, it creates these completely avoidable situations.

I'm certainly not condoning these attitudes to Stewards but if as has been described, the father explained the situation and the Stewards would not listen, I personally wouldn't blame them for getting a bit 'vocal'. It could have, again if the account is true, been dealt with much better, IMHO. Ensure the child's safety then worry about the ticket scanning :aok:

weecounty hibby
26-02-2016, 12:12 PM
It only takes a bit of common sense from the steward. If has been suggested above the child had some sort of disability then I can totally understand the parents reaction. My daughter has a disability and has only just started to be able to come to games with her ST. If it had happened to us I know that she would have been frantic that she was inside and I wasn't there with her. A wee bit of sense, check parents ST, let them in, no hassle.

green day
26-02-2016, 12:39 PM
It only takes a bit of common sense from the steward. If has been suggested above the child had some sort of disability then I can totally understand the parents reaction. My daughter has a disability and has only just started to be able to come to games with her ST. If it had happened to us I know that she would have been frantic that she was inside and I wasn't there with her. A wee bit of sense, check parents ST, let them in, no hassle.

First game of the season, my dad swiped his card and then pushed the gate (don't ask........) which meant that although he was still outside the stadium, as far as "the system" was concerned he was inside.

I asked the steward to be sensible and just open the side gate, she said "cant do it unless the supervisor allows it".

After a 5 minute wait, they did exactly that.

In my case, it was more of a laugh, if it had happened with my kid I might not have been quite so entertained.

So I think the big issue here is that the gate stewards are given no latitude whatsoever and then sound like they have a "computer says no" attitude.

paulbee1
26-02-2016, 09:04 PM
The east stand incident at the end of match was because there was two G4S security stewards standing on the trackside video recording a group of youths in the stand and as they weren't happy being recorded one fan attempted to jump the wall to get to them, so they where putting him out and as his mates weren't happy they tried to get involved when one female steward got assaulted so all the security and supervisors from the other stands got involved and they got the police involved too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

monktonharp
26-02-2016, 09:28 PM
The process needs to be sorted and I'm not going to comment on the behaviour of the Stewards but will offer up a scenario. Stewards surrounded by fans claiming they cannot get in. Meanwhile the carrier brings in the flare, bottle, whatever. The people at the gate are there to check people going in.

I got caught outside and my daughter inside, earlier in the season. After a "Stay where you are" and "I'll be in". Steward called the supervisor who was at the far end of the West. 1 Supervisor for the West stand was the issue. It was an uncomfortable 5 or so minutes before I got in but there was no sense panicking. I appreciate my 15 yr old is a different scene than a younger and perhaps disabled and scared child. I reckon I'd have been shouting too.

By now the club must know roughly how many interventions they need in the 20 minutes towards the kick off. Having more people at the turnstyles is the solution. One for the Fans reps methinks.Why do we NEVER see any of the blazers, at either side of a turnstyle? there is one that looks through a window,high above the FF stand at half time as if he is watching what I do with my fag end, but never ever seen anyone from the CLUB itself , hovering at the business end. we should not need a Frank Dougan to do their job as there are lots of incidents which cause aggro.

Ronniekirk
26-02-2016, 10:11 PM

Nae need for policies ,apply common sense .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lucky
26-02-2016, 10:56 PM
The vast majority of the stewards are fine but some think they are the police and over react to everything. The turnstiles sometimes don't work but there does not seem to be enough supervisors to deal with it. If the ST does not work I hate being told to go to the TO when clearly a steward can let you in

Jack
27-02-2016, 07:40 AM
As per someone's comment above, there already is this facility, there is a steward with a handheld scanner at the big exit gates that can scan your ticket and let you in rather than going through the turnstile.

To be fair that's not what I suggested.

As far as I am aware and seemingly others that is a facility for disabled supporters. That it could be used for supporters with kids is new to me.

My suggestion allowed for almost normal usage of the turnstile but with a human operator who would be well versed in dealing with unusual things when they cropped up.

As a bonus it would also be more obvious at the other gates when adults were using kids tickets but that's another debate.

Keith_M
27-02-2016, 07:44 AM
Axe the Act

Aye, stop making wee neddy fitba fans into criminals.