PDA

View Full Version : That's been coming

GreenArmyyy!
24-02-2016, 10:21 PM
Don't want to appear to have a knee-jerk reaction to tonight's events but that result has been on its way for some time and I'm quite surprised it's taken so long.

I'm not going to single out players for criticism as it doesn't do anybody any good but there are a couple of players I still don't think should be playing....

We have struggled in a lot of games this season to score goals but generally we have managed to get that single goal to get us the points but considering the strike force we have on paper the lack of quality we tend to show in the final third is shocking and our goals to chances ratio must be one of the worst in the country.

Tonight for me has consigned us to the play-offs as The Rangers won't be complacent enough to let us back in to the title race IMO.

One small positive was seeing Farid back on the pitch tonight, I hope the big fella can find some sort of fitness as he gives us the ability to change the way we play up top.

S4uzee
24-02-2016, 10:23 PM
It reminded me of the petrofac Rangers game where every time the opposition went forward they could score!

As one other poster has said, possibly the worst under Stubbs

rcarter1
24-02-2016, 10:26 PM
Don't want to appear to have a knee-jerk reaction to tonight's events but that result has been on its way for some time and I'm quite surprised it's taken so long.

I'm not going to single out players for criticism as it doesn't do anybody any good but there are a couple of players I still don't think should be playing....

We have struggled in a lot of games this season to score goals but generally we have managed to get that single goal to get us the points but considering the strike force we have on paper the lack of quality we tend to show in the final third is shocking and our goals to chances ratio must be one of the worst in the country.

Tonight for me has consigned us to the play-offs as The Rangers won't be complacent enough to let us back in to the title race IMO.

One small positive was seeing Farid back on the pitch tonight, I hope the big fella can find some sort of fitness as he gives us the ability to change the way we play up top.

I agree that it has been coming as well - for the same reason you suggest, we don't score anything like enough goals. Didn't expect it be 3-0 but there you go. Good news is, that when really motivated and up for it, we have been very hard to beat, and got the goal (or two) we have needed. Encourages me for the real big tests coming up.

The_Horde
24-02-2016, 10:29 PM
It reminded me of the petrofac Rangers game where every time the opposition went forward they could score!

As one other poster has said, possibly the worst under Stubbs

It reminded me of that too. Because it was the same. The very same. Even the goals they scored were brutally similar. And the lack of pressure on the ball from midfield and second balls won.

And it's not the first time this season. Teams have picked David Gray and our right side as a weakness and they're getting joy from it.

andyt1875
24-02-2016, 10:31 PM
It reminded me of that too. Because it was the same. The very same. Even the goals they scored were brutally similar. And the lack of pressure on the ball from midfield and second balls won.

And it's not the first time this season. Teams have picked David Gray and our right side as a weakness and they're getting joy from it.

Can you justify what teams have exploited the weakness on the right hand side or is this just a conclusion you have jumped to tonight?

NAE NOOKIE
25-02-2016, 12:02 AM
Whether its been coming or not there was no excuse for the outbreak of booing after we went 3 down from some parts of the crowd ........... utterly fking pathetic !!!

Shrekko
25-02-2016, 12:16 AM
Whether its been coming or not there was no excuse for the outbreak of booing after we went 3 down from some parts of the crowd ........... utterly fking pathetic !!!

Totally agree- and at the end of the game too, and a few at half time. Seems to be a default action for a few folk every time things aren't quite right. The exodus after the 3rd wasn't too pretty either and must have some at the club scratching their heads.

Bit of perspective surely required at the moment? Terrible night but bearing in mind some of the fantastic times we've had recently surely it's not that hard not to boo like a big spoilt baby?

Nicho87
25-02-2016, 12:24 AM
We do need a lot of chances before we put one away. Hope my heart hold out until june. Big games coming up.

MWHIBBIES
25-02-2016, 12:28 AM
Whether its been coming or not there was no excuse for the outbreak of booing after we went 3 down from some parts of the crowd ........... utterly fking pathetic !!!The fannies always come out when we are winning, will be the same at the cup final if we go behind.

NAE NOOKIE
25-02-2016, 12:53 AM
The fannies always come out when we are winning, will be the same at the cup final if we go behind.

Aye ... but it wasn't the fannies though, 90% of that crowd was ST holders. After the effort the team has put in recently ..... you know, minor stuff like getting to the League cup final and pumping the Yams out the Scottish cup its hard to understand how anybody can justify turning on the players after one bad performance ..... what's going to happen if we lose to ICT .... a blizzard of loose change?

flash
25-02-2016, 07:41 AM

David Gray wasn't great but, as in almost every game, he was comfortably the better of the two full backs.

kaimendhibs
25-02-2016, 07:45 AM

Agreed

Greencore
25-02-2016, 07:48 AM
We deserve better.

Gatecrasher
25-02-2016, 07:57 AM
Rangers have just been too good this season, They have pretty much destroyed everyone in this league apart from us and even we have been on the wrong end of them a couple of times. We have been very unfortunate to be relegated at probably the worst possible time, Hearts were on the front foot very quickly last year and both Rangers and us were left behind due to various reasons. Rangers were always going to be a good team this year, there was no way they were going to do a repeat of last year. We have been a good side, one which I feel is too good for this league. There's not much else that we or the team could have done to be honest. Every team in every league drops points from time to time. We have played about 2 months worth of games in the matter of a few weeks the team was going to drop some points somewhere. It takes a lot out of the players both physically and mentally. To think we wouldn't is something we could only achieve with a much bigger budget. We still have so much to play for in the next couple of months. We need to make sure we give the club the support it needs to achieve what could be a very memorable end of the season.

mjhibby
25-02-2016, 07:57 AM
It's our second loss in 28 games and our first home league loss for a year. Let's get things in perspective. Our cup runs were bound to tell eventually. Getting promotion is what matters and we look set to be second. Ironically the further we go in the Scottish cup the harder promotion gets. I'd bring in Hanlon,Bartley,carmichael and boyle and rest gray for Saturday. Henderson needs to be rested until the league cup final. Were unlikely to win the league so Stubbs can be bold. We will get free midweeks soon and hopefully the batteries will be recharged soon.

lucky
25-02-2016, 08:00 AM
Not sure how anyone comes to the conclusion that this has been coming. We've deserved to win most games this season and having players capable of scoring has helped. But goals change games. Oxley was at fault for the first two goals. We were left chasing the game because those mistakes. But we move on lots to play for. Two cups and a promotion but the players no it's hard work that wins games

matty_f
25-02-2016, 08:02 AM
Not sure how anyone comes to the conclusion that this has been coming. We've deserved to win most games this season and having players capable of scoring has helped. But goals change games. Oxley was at fault for the first two goals. We were left chasing the game because those mistakes. But we move on lots to play for. Two cups and a promotion but the players no it's hard work that wins games
Not sure about Oxley being at fault for their first but that aside I agree with your post.

Thecat23
25-02-2016, 08:05 AM
We deserve better.

Like a league cup final, a Scottish cup quarter final? First home defeat since April.

Some folk need to calm the **** down and get right behind the boys for the remaining games. Hibs have been fantastic this season.

Andy74
25-02-2016, 08:07 AM
Goals do change games so instead of Oxley being to blame you could say the fact we didn't get the goals when we had the chances was really the issue.

Greencore
25-02-2016, 08:08 AM
Like a league cup final, a Scottish cup quarter final? First home defeat since April.

Some folk need to calm the **** down and get right behind the boys for the remaining games. Hibs have been fantastic this season.the ****? All I was implying was the performance last night was **** and we as fans deserved better.

rodhibs55
25-02-2016, 08:10 AM

Some folk need to calm the **** down and get right behind the boys for the remaining games. Hibs have been fantastic this season.

This is spot on. We just need to take this one on the chin and move on. We are having a great season.
GGTTH

neil7908
25-02-2016, 08:12 AM
Goals do change games so instead of Oxley being to blame you could say the fact we didn't get the goals when we had the chances was really the issue.

I don't think Oxley is a great keeper but I'm convinced if we'd have scored first it would have finished 2-0 or 3-0 to Hibs

Bristolhibby
25-02-2016, 08:13 AM
Totally agree- and at the end of the game too, and a few at half time. Seems to be a default action for a few folk every time things aren't quite right. The exodus after the 3rd wasn't too pretty either and must have some at the club scratching their heads.

Bit of perspective surely required at the moment? Terrible night but bearing in mind some of the fantastic times we've had recently surely it's not that hard not to boo like a big spoilt baby?

Another bit of perspective, that was a home game against Morton in the Second tier of Scottish football.

J

Thecat23
25-02-2016, 08:16 AM
the ****? All I was implying was the performance last night was **** and we as fans deserved better.

We could have been 3 or 4 up before they scored. It was one of those games that just didn't work for us and that happens.

Greencore
25-02-2016, 08:19 AM
We could have been 3 or 4 up before they scored. It was one of those games that just didn't work for us and that happens.

I agree with you. We also hit the bar. But the fact is we did not take our chances and losing 3-0 goals to Morton we deserve better. We have been unbeaten at home for a long time. Like you said cup final.. But we should be beating the likes of Morton.

i will still be at the Dumbarton game this weekend though ..

GGTTH.

AndyB_70
25-02-2016, 08:26 AM
They almost scored with the exact same corner earlier in the match. Where are the defenders but why does or keeper not command his 6 yard box?
The performance at Livi and now this has cost us 5 points.
Not looking forward to the play off games against Falkirk who are a good team.

blackpoolhibs
25-02-2016, 08:29 AM
I was not at the game, but i have watched almost every game we've played this season live or on tv, live or recorded. And i cant see in any way how that result was coming, in fact apart from the sevco game pre season, no team has been anywhere near beating us by 3 goals, in fact we probably should or could be undefeated all season on the balance of play in each match.

Heisenberg
25-02-2016, 08:36 AM
I wouldn't say this result has been coming at all. I was astonished when I finished work and saw the scoreline. Morton aren't a bad team but we should be beating them. Our defensive record and record at home have both been very decent this season. It's an off night but we can't repeat many more of them or we'll be in this league again next season with no silverware at all.

BoomtownHibees
25-02-2016, 08:37 AM
A 3-0 home defeat against Morton has definitely not "been coming"

matty_f
25-02-2016, 08:39 AM
I was not at the game, but i have watched almost every game we've played this season live or on tv, live or recorded. And i cant see in any way how that result was coming, in fact apart from the sevco game pre season, no team has been anywhere near beating us by 3 goals, in fact we probably should or could be undefeated all season on the balance of play in each match.
:agree: spot on.

J-C
25-02-2016, 08:39 AM

But that isn't the point, 3-4 up or not we should still not be losing 0-3 to Morton. That performance wasn't the only one this season or even last season, we have a terrible goal average at just over 1.5, our conversion rate is pretty shocking also, we seem to struggle to beat these teams and it's down to the way we play.

We are too ponderous on the ball, we don't close teams down enough ( not in their faces ), too tippy tappy with not enough drive at times and we rely far too much on our fullbacks giving us width. Since when was Stevenson and Gray great overlapping wingbacks with superb crossing, let them be full backs who overlap now and again but we need genuine width. We seen on sunday what real width can do to a team that sits with 10 men behind the ball, it stretches them and creates space and it was a 3-0 stroll, but no lets revert back to this bloody diamond and play all narrow and congested in the middle, oh and while we're at it play Thomson who can still pass a ball but has the legs of a 70 year old, so he can't get back to cover any counter attacks.

We lost and drew too many games last year and we've done it again this year, 4 losses and 4 draws in this league at this stage is not good enough.

Thecat23
25-02-2016, 08:45 AM
I agree with you. We also hit the bar. But the fact is we did not take our chances and losing 3-0 goals to Morton we deserve better. We have been unbeaten at home for a long time. Like you said cup final.. But we should be beating the likes of Morton.

i will still be at the Dumbarton game this weekend though ..

GGTTH.

We should be beating teams like Morton that I fully agree with you. I'm just saying in football games like last nights can happen and sadly for us it was in a game that we really had to win to keep our title hopes alive.

We now have to win all our remaining games and hope that a miracle happens and The Rangers drop points but it's a huge ask.

GreenCastle
25-02-2016, 08:47 AM
While last night was concerning and hopefully a wake up call before another run of important games.

I am more concerned how we play in our next game now.

Last night wasn't acceptable but we need to stick together and get the focus back.

green day
25-02-2016, 08:59 AM

That's just what I said 20 minutes in last night.

However we have not looked like converting these chances to kill off teams all season (including Saturday, Alloa are that bad we "should" have taken 6 off them).

Our average of (what is it?) less than 1.5 goals per game..............in this league..............is mince to be honest and is biting us on the erchie.

Our defence has been good - until last night we had only lost something like 7 goals at ER in the league this season - but had a bit of a stinker last night.

Stubbs needs to get them back up and get a good morale boosting win on Saturday.

Thecat23
25-02-2016, 09:02 AM
That's just what I said 20 minutes in last night.

However we have not looked like converting these chances to kill off teams all season (including Saturday, Alloa are that bad we "should" have taken 6 off them).

Our average of (what is it?) less than 1.5 goals per game..............in this league..............is mince to be honest and is biting us on the erchie.

Our defence has been good - until last night we had only lost something like 7 goals at ER in the league this season - but had a bit of a stinker last night.

Stubbs needs to get them back up and get a good morale boosting win on Saturday.

Yeah we should be scoring more goals at home. Our strikers need to be more clinical and start hitting them outside the box instead of walking it in.

GreenCastle
25-02-2016, 09:09 AM
We have made it hard for ourselves playing catch up in the league most of the season. Really since day 1 when we lost to Dumbarton.

We did well to bring the gap closer but obviously the ibrox game was significant again.

I'm not slitting the wrists yet but this season will be defined for a nearly season or the season we put things right and won a cup.

I still believe we can win the cup and get promoted.

The playoffs is the lottery though and we can't afford a slip up last night or the game could be over before the 2nd leg.

Last night feels bad as was an expected 3 points and has bigger consequences as we effectively gave sevco the league without them playing or playing us.

In a way we could play with less pressure in the league now and see where that takes us but as I said about we need to remain focused as confidence is vital with important games coming up.

scoopyboy
25-02-2016, 09:12 AM
Yeah we should be scoring more goals at home. Our strikers need to be more clinical and start hitting them outside the box instead of walking it in.

That is a phrase I have been using more and more recently.

I thought it was really obvious in the first half at Greenock the other week.

I would say it goes further than the forwards though, I think the midfielders also need to shoot more often.

Henderson and McGinn often get into great positions and then don't shoot and at times I just wish McGeouch would just go on his own when driving forwards.

We simply don't score enough goals, any time we concede the first goal we are in danger of dropping points.

Off the top of my head I can't recall many occasions this season we have lost the first goal (St.Mirren away springs to mind) and came back to win, certainly in the 1-1 draws with Falkirk (twice) and St.Mirren at home we lost the first goal.

Shrekko
25-02-2016, 09:14 AM
Another bit of perspective, that was a home game against Morton in the Second tier of Scottish football.

J

Yeah-and how often have there been nights like that?

Sorry- we dont have a divine right to win ALL these games. We'll win most but things like that occasionally happen. A much poorer Morton team beat Celtic 2 years ago.

number9dream
25-02-2016, 09:45 AM

While Cummings has done well to get to 20 goals, no one else is in double figures and that's disappointing. It just hasn't quite clicked for the second striker this season and so a really good partnership has not been established.
Width and pace has been discussed, we simply don't get in behind teams quick enough.
We also lack a no.10, a Latapy, Zemmama or dare I say Scott Allan, threading passes in and getting beyond the strikers.
Henderson and McGinn are the nearest we have but both are often used wide in the diamond to accommodate Fyvie, McGeouch, Bartley and now Thompson.
It's the best squad we've had in a long, long time and we could easily be holding our own in the top division, which is what makes this slog in the second tier so frustrating.
It's vital we get Stokes firing for the run-in, it could make all the difference...

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-02-2016, 09:56 AM
The fannies always come out when we are winning.

If that doesnae bring the missing male fans back nothing will. :greengrin

Ricky Bobby
25-02-2016, 10:34 AM
We have been guilty of overplaying almost all season. There have not been enough games where we have got the job done early, which has left us vulnerable to a goal against the run of play.
Morton last night, played the game on the front foot and broke really well when they could.They also worked harder than our boys, which is disapointing,and in the end deserved their win.
Hopefully we can turn this into a positive in the crucial period over the next few weeks.

MB62
25-02-2016, 10:49 AM
I don't think enough credit has been given to Morton for their performance last night, I thought they were tactically excellent. They pressed us high up the park, closed us down quickly in midfield in midfield and their defence stood strong all night. The big centre forward gave Fontaine a right tough time, in fact so tough, the only thing missing from his game was boxing gloves.
Their midfield broke at a pace we couldn't handle and their finishing was excellent, helped by poor defending/goalkeeping right enough. If they put that same effort with that ability in every week, The rangers would pushing them at the top of the table.

One major turning point for me was the stonewall penalty we were denied at 0-1. Was it McGinn? who was just about to head the ball in to the net when he was clearly fouled. They broke up the park and made it 0-2 and game over, a huge game changer from a ref who had as big a nightmare as any Hibs player had.

The amount of times Morton players kicked the ball away after a whistle had gone, you can well understand Jason Cumming's frustrations at the ref who failed to produce one yellow card for any of the offences that had him sent off last week.