PDA

View Full Version : Hanlon crucial, Thomson finished, Stokes useless

madhatter
24-02-2016, 10:19 PM
Opinions? I think sums up what I saw tonight.

Utter lack of pace at back without Hanlon. Utter lack of pace in holding midfielder in Thomson who spent more time on his backside than anything else (new pair of slippers?). Stokes is abysmal.

ManBearPig
24-02-2016, 10:20 PM
Agree with most of above but really missed Bartley to cover when gray and Lewis bomb forward

HibeeDave
24-02-2016, 10:21 PM
I have to agree that Thomson is nowhere near good enough for the team.

Mikey09
24-02-2016, 10:23 PM
At least you got the first one right... Have a ****ing word wi yerself about the other two statements. Thomson finished?! Stokes useless?! :faf:

Dom'sFirstTouch
24-02-2016, 10:24 PM
Pretty much this. Although we know Stokes isn't actually useless, he's just playing like it.

Bishop Hibee
24-02-2016, 10:24 PM
Thomson third choice after Bartley and Fyvie. Stokes needs to do more. Can we afford to play him into match fitness? Our best CH pairing is Hanlon and McGregor although his mistake led to their third.

FromTheCapital
24-02-2016, 10:25 PM
Get to **** ya fanny.
Thomson finished?
Stokes useless?
Grow up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IrnBru22
24-02-2016, 10:26 PM
At least you got the first one right... Have a ****ing word wi yerself about the other two statements. Thomson finished?! Stokes useless?! :faf:

Nope, he's spot on.

The_Horde
Thomson not finished, but definitely not got the legs to break up play any more. Stokes not poor just thinks he's Maradona. Hanlon spot on though. Can afford to leave him out.

dmc1875
Hanlon is crucial.

Thomson is not finished, and Stokes, is not useless.

Ozyhibby
24-02-2016, 10:28 PM
Get to **** ya fanny.
Thomson finished?
Stokes useless?
Grow up.

I don't get why we brought Thomson back. He is not good enough anymore. Slower than a week in jail.

ManBearPig
24-02-2016, 10:29 PM
Hanlon is crucial, I don't think Thomson is useless just not as effective at holding role at Bartley as for stokes....I'm not sure sometimes he shows some class sometimes he's like a premadonna

scotia44
24-02-2016, 10:29 PM

Utter lack of pace at back without Hanlon. Utter lack of pace in holding midfielder in Thomson who spent more time on his backside than anything else (new pair of slippers?). Stokes is abysmal.
Oh dear the bedwetting has begun plastic sheets all round 😂

madhatter
24-02-2016, 10:30 PM
Get to **** ya fanny.
Thomson finished?
Stokes useless?
Grow up.

Bit harsh I said opinions, maybe have a word with yourself.

Thomson clearly struggled to keep up with the game.

Stokes has played quite a few games for us now and has done nothing in any of them. Not as much as he should considering the quality he has. He should impose himself and doesn't. Dagnall has shown more effort and desire simple as.

FromTheCapital
I don't get why we brought Thomson back. He is not good enough anymore. Slower than a week in jail.

Embarrassing comment.

hibee_girl
Thomson isn't finished, he just maybe shouldn't be playing this often.

He told Dundee that he couldn't keep playing at that level yet we've chucked him in at the deep end since he's been back

Badge

I'd go along with that

FromTheCapital
Bit harsh I said opinions, maybe have a word with yourself.

Thomson clearly struggled to keep up with the game.

Stokes has played quite a few games for us now and has done nothing in any of them. Not as much as he should considering the quality he has. He should impose himself and doesn't. Dagnall has shown more effort and desire simple as.

Calling Stokes useless but then mention Dagnall who is absolutely hopeless. Strange.

Crammond Hibee
24-02-2016, 10:32 PM
Thomson isn't finished, he just maybe shouldn't be playing this often.

He told Dundee that he couldn't keep playing at that level yet we've chucked him in at the deep end since he's been back

Let's chuck him back out again then and only use in emergency

mcfly
24-02-2016, 10:32 PM
A bit harsh this thread

A very bad day at office 2 defeats in 26 games isn't too bad

Think of where we have come since butcher.

Kevin Thomson was great v hearts and stokes has hardly played all season

Give the players a break they'll be hurting too

However I'm not convinced the oxley - he's not reliable

madhatter
24-02-2016, 10:33 PM
Oh dear the bedwetting has begun plastic sheets all round 😂

Not bedwetting just pointing out what I took from game tonight. 2 pacey wingers for Morton ripped us apart and their no9 beat Fontaine every time or won a foul. Thomson couldn't cover for Stevenson or Gray and that's where we struggled. We created very little and Cummings can be excused due to youth but Stokes ought to be trying harder. Farid did more when he came on.

Mikey09
24-02-2016, 10:33 PM
Nope, he's spot on.

The same Kevin Thomson who was outstanding against Hearts?! Jesus I'm out of here... Pathetic finger pointing. :bye:

gaz1875
24-02-2016, 10:36 PM
I thought we did miss Hanlon and Bartley I also wanted us to start Gunnerson tonight to see if he could give us more width and better balls into the box, Gray and Stevenson struggled to beat a man and get crosses into the box. All round horrible performance

Jim44
24-02-2016, 10:36 PM
To suggest that anyone, calling Stokes contribution up to now anything better than mediocre, is a bed wetter is a bit rich. :rolleyes:

rcarter1
24-02-2016, 10:37 PM
A bit harsh this thread

Give the players a brawl they'll be hurting too

Happily, we are several million miles away from where we were with Butcher. But we haven't convinced in this league, and its purely a question of not scoring the goals our possession and chances deserve. Im stumped as to how we change that (Stokes was my answer to this),

Mr. Stubbs, - you're on!

Brooster
24-02-2016, 10:40 PM
Thomson just stood a few yards on front of the centre halves all the time. Pointless and ineffective.

GreenArmyyy!
24-02-2016, 10:40 PM
Agree re Hanlon, Thomson should be back-up, nothing more. Stokes..... Honestly wouldn't be fussed if he played again, the guy isn't interested and has been a massive let down since signing.

Hibbyradge
24-02-2016, 10:41 PM
lol

Danderhall Hibs
Thomson just stood a few yards on ftont of the centre halves all the time. Pointless and ineffective.

Said that to my mates. He was taking the ball of one CH and passing it square to the other. They could be doing that themselves without his intervention.

Brightside
Embarrassing comment.

Its spot on. He did nothing tonight. and played so deep that it brought Morton on top of our team. At the very best he's a player to bring on when we are 2 or 3 up with 10 mins to go. Nothing will be created through him.

madhatter
A bit harsh this thread

Not sure how this thread suggests I'm criticising Stubbs and brings Butchers reign back into the mix. I was simply stating what I saw as our downfall tonight. After all we did lose 3-0 which could have been 4-0. I'll take Stubbs and his teams anyday over Butcher and even Fenlon. Best I've seen in a while but as was shown tonight our lack of depth and over-reliance on certain players is visible.

Cod Boy
24-02-2016, 10:42 PM
A taste of the team that will face inverness in the cup with no Hanlon and Bartley that played tonight.

Crammond Hibee
24-02-2016, 10:45 PM
A taste of the team that will face inverness in the cup with no Hanlon and Bartley that played tonight.

Yes that's a problem

keep the faith
24-02-2016, 10:46 PM

Waiting for his first bad performance to post this??

He was great in the Derby and is an excellent option for us in certain types of games.

Greenworld
24-02-2016, 10:50 PM
A bad TEAM performance end off ......can't say anyone was great..need to get studs in there boots that pitch is goosed

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
24-02-2016, 10:52 PM
A bit harsh this thread

Thomson had a decent second half but was posted missing for Nicholson's goal.

scotia44
24-02-2016, 10:53 PM
Not bedwetting just pointing out what I took from game tonight. 2 pacey wingers for Morton ripped us apart and their no9 beat Fontaine every time or won a foul. Thomson couldn't cover for Stevenson or Gray and that's where we struggled. We created very little and Cummings can be excused due to youth but Stokes ought to be trying harder. Farid did more when he came on.
So should we just chuck it then and single players out for criticism now and go back 2 years
The players have given a lot and whilst it's disappointing we need to stick with them they will come again hopefully on Saturday but let's not start pointing fingers and singling guys out.
THE team were not at there best so we move on and go again 👍

Ozyhibby
24-02-2016, 10:53 PM
Waiting for his first bad performance to post this??

He was great in the Derby and is an excellent option for us in certain types of games.

He left David Gray badly exposed for Hearts second goal. He played well second half because Hearts were in full retreat mode and he got time on the ball.

Smartie
24-02-2016, 10:56 PM
Correct re Hanlon - our most important player, should play every minute of every game.

Incorrect re Thomson. Nowhere near our worst player tonight, still has a role to play. Yes, he's lost a bit of pace but the passing ability is still there.

Correct imo re Stokes. The guy's a f*****g impostor imo. We've dropped 5 points in the games against Livi and Morton and he's barely kicked a ball in these games. Was poor at Tynecastle as well. Not sure how much of it is his fault, he's a finisher who offers little else (a bit like Cummings and Keatings) and shouldn't be paired with players so similar to himself. He'll raise his game for the cup games no doubt but it's nights like tonight that will cost us the league.

tamig
24-02-2016, 10:57 PM
Morton caused problems with their pace on the break from early doors tonight. It was crying out for Bartley. Stubbs made the change far too late. Hanlon was also sorely missed. Hopefully Stubbs has learned from this painful lesson tonight.

madhatter
24-02-2016, 10:59 PM
So should we just chuck it then and single players out for criticism now and go back 2 years
The players have given a lot and whilst it's disappointing we need to stick with them they will come again hopefully on Saturday but let's not start pointing fingers and singling guys out the team were not at there best we move on and go again 👍

I might be a bizarre fan but as a paying fan that sat in a stadium on a cold Wednesday night I think the least I should be able to do is share and ask people's opinions on the game. People need not agree with my opinions and that's fine. These players in the next game will get singled out for their brilliance if they do well, they rightly should get the opposite if they play poor. Our downfall tonight was in part caused by Hanlon's absence, Thomson struggling and Stokes being anonymous. Whole team were garbage but these were the three glaring issues I saw.

SMAXXA
24-02-2016, 10:59 PM
Clearly nothing to do with Stubbs team selection and formation, why play the diamond with Thomson sitting 10 years from his back 4 at home to Morton. We had no pace about the team energy was lacking and it's fine against a big robust hearts side but let's have a go at home. Started well and thought we would win comfortably but formation was poor for me. Really surprised no real mention about Henderson tonight, been great for us but looked like he was fatigued and one game too many after playing a lot of football recently.

mcginn was poor aswell but just a bad day at the office I wouldn't read too much into it credit to a very good Morton performance.

tamig
24-02-2016, 11:03 PM
Clearly nothing to do with Stubbs team selection and formation, why play the diamond with Thomson sitting 10 years from his back 4 at home to Morton. We had no pace about the team energy was lacking and it's fine against a big robust hearts side but let's have a go at home. Started well and thought we would win comfortably but formation was poor for me. Really surprised no real mention about Henderson tonight, been great for us but looked like he was fatigued and one game too many after playing a lot of football recently.

mcginn was poor aswell but just a bad day at the office I wouldn't read too much into it credit to a very good Morton performance.

Agree re Henderson.lost count of the number of times he ignored Gray outside him. Can't believe he got MOTM.

hibee
24-02-2016, 11:04 PM
Thomson had a very poor game, far too slow but it could have been very different if Cummings had scored any of the good chances he had in the first half.

Also had a decent shout for a penalty when Stokes was flattened while trying to tap in a rebound so could easily have been a win for us with a bit more luck.

Danderhall Hibs
24-02-2016, 11:04 PM
Agree re Henderson.lost count of the number of times he ignored Gray outside him. Can't believe he got MOTM.

Said to my daughter that I wouldn't have picked a MOTM. Should've rolled it over to the next game.

hibee_girl
24-02-2016, 11:06 PM
Said to my daughter that I wouldn't have picked a MOTM. Should've rolled it over to the next game.

Me and my grandad said we wouldn't have been surprised if they'd just given it to Stevenson tonight (not saying he deserved it before anyone starts)

broondog
24-02-2016, 11:08 PM
stokes was awful today. awful

keep the faith
24-02-2016, 11:08 PM
I might be a bizarre fan but as a paying fan that sat in a stadium on a cold Wednesday night I think the least I should be able to do is share and ask people's opinions on the game. People need not agree with my opinions and that's fine. These players in the next game will get singled out for their brilliance if they do well, they rightly should get the opposite if they play poor. Our downfall tonight was in part caused by Hanlon's absence, Thomson struggling and Stokes being anonymous. Whole team were garbage but these were the three glaring issues I saw.

But your original post suggested Thomson was "finished" and not struggling as you now suggest and stokes "useless" not anonymous.

Those are not sensible opinions and are hysterical knee jerks. That may be why you are getting these reactions.

Nicho87
24-02-2016, 11:09 PM
Tonight should be a massive eye-opener to stubbs and hibs give hanlon a good contract and dont be tight.

midfield_maestro
24-02-2016, 11:14 PM
Thomson had a decent second half but was posted missing for Nicholson's goal.

The first derby was not the one he was outstanding in.

Crammond Hibee
24-02-2016, 11:15 PM
And I agree

madhatter
24-02-2016, 11:15 PM
But your original post suggested Thomson was "finished" and not struggling as you now suggest and stokes "useless" not anonymous.

Those are not sensible opinions and are hysterical knee jerks. That may be why you are getting these reactions.

No. Hyperboles in opinions don't rule them out as sensible opinions. Thomson will probably prove to be a good coach but in every game including the Derby looked knackered after 30-40mins and struggles with pace of game (hence finished). Also an anonymous footballer is useless...

Give counter arguments rather than look for issues with my opinion. I'd be delighted if Thomson runs past 5 players in the next game and scores a screamer from 40 yards and Stokes scores a hat-trick but let's be honest it's unlikely. Hence them being issues at the moment. Up to them to prove the doubters wrong. They've contributed nothing since they came. Stokes especially. Hanlon is crucial because he gives us something. Works both ways.

SON OF PADDY
24-02-2016, 11:24 PM
Very poor performance all round, we can't afford to leave Paul Hanlon or Big Marvin out of the team.
But let's not kid ourselves ! Morton deserved their win.
Give the player's credit for what they have achieved so far and let's get right behind them. GGTTH

Ronniekirk
24-02-2016, 11:25 PM
Yes that's a problem

It is but I think we may have to rest players as well for that one with the Cup Final in mind This talk of fighting on three fronts was asking a lot and could backfire big style
Be interested in what Stubbs said in his after match interview

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gaz1875
24-02-2016, 11:35 PM

He got man of the match because he never gave up? Who else was better than him today for effort and at least attempting to break down the Morton defence.

shamo9
24-02-2016, 11:41 PM
I'm getting ahead of myself but I wonder what we're gonna do against Inverness defensively with Fyvie, Hanlon and Bartley out. That could be a big problem if Hughes was paying attention tonight.

I'd probably go 4-5-1 with Boyle and Carmichael coming in for Cummings (suspended) and Thomson. They could offer protection to the fullbacks while still having the pace to hurt Inverness on the break.

That would leave probably Stokes upfront and a solid middle three of McGinn, Henderson and McGeouch. IMO that's the most balanced side we can select with Fyvie, Cummings, Bartley and Hanlon out.

The focus obviously has to be on Dumbarton for now though.

Captain Trips
24-02-2016, 11:46 PM
While I disagree with the statements in post title, how a player played in a match previous to this is irrelevant. Every match is important plaudits have been given a plenty, stick is certainly desevered on the result tonight.

I do not now give a toss about Thomson or Stokes or Anyone having a good game 2 weeks ago, credit was given at time. I expect that 11 tonight to not be on the wrong end of 3-0. So stick can be given at time.

matty_f
24-02-2016, 11:50 PM
Thomson had a shocker tonight, too slow, too much time on his arse, and took too long on the ball.
Stokes was humpty as well, not at the races at all, and I'm far from convinced that the Stokes/Cummings pairing is effective.
Hanlon is by far and away the best CH at the club.

macca70
24-02-2016, 11:51 PM
Thomson was dreadful during his last spell with us and even worse now. There were 3 consecutive Hibs possessions when he gave the ball away. He's finished, get him on the coaching staff if that's why he's here and out the starting 11.

macd123
25-02-2016, 12:16 AM
Thomson could be emergency back up but no more please. He doesn't have any presence on the pitch and our midfield is weaker with him in it. I would rather have scott martin playing than him. I just don't like thomson as a player.

Billychaotic182
25-02-2016, 12:19 AM
Idiot

matty_f
25-02-2016, 12:22 AM
Idiot

Leave me out of it!

Crammond Hibee
25-02-2016, 12:22 AM
Thomson was dreadful during his last spell with us and even worse now. There were 3 consecutive Hibs possessions when he gave the ball away. He's finished, get him on the coaching staff if that's why he's here and out the starting 11.

I hope so

Centre Hawf
25-02-2016, 12:30 AM
Thomson is not up to this standard of football anymore. We were picked a part due to his lack of pace when the fullbacks went forward. Anyone with a footballing brain could see that, we should never have signed him and we should have been looking elsewhere. I know I'll get pelters for this post because he can do no wrong in some peoples eyes, but it's true. Bartley should never have been dropped for Thomson tonight at all.

Stokes has not looked at the races at all since coming on loan, his first goal was a tap in and his second goal his first touch done it's best to ruin for him. He either doesn't care or he's still not match fit, and if it's the first then he should never be anywhere near this team, if it's the latter then you have to question his commitment to getting match fit or the training regime he's on. He should be at the point now where he he's hitting his match fitness but he looks out of place in the Scottish Championship still.

Stubbs over rotated his side for me, players like Carmichael and Boyle were excellent on Sunday and should have kept their place if they were fit enough to do so, the 3-5-2 worked wonders on Sunday and would have given us width to protect us against Morton's wingers tonight but we went back to the diamond. Which is fair as it's worked previously but the personnel wasn't right.

Big wake up call, the leagues done for me but it might give us the reality check we needed going into the League Cup Final and the playoffs not to mention perhaps the Scottish Cup so all is not lost.

ehf
25-02-2016, 12:31 AM
McGinn was honking tonight as well but of course he is beyond criticism.

NAE NOOKIE
25-02-2016, 12:36 AM
Hanlon is a cert for any big game from now on ..... as the OP says ... crucial.

Thomson has done ok in the games he has played up till now .... I was not a fan of his return to the club because I thought we would be getting what I saw tonight, he was slow, made little impact and gave the ball away at least twice in dangerous areas when under no pressure ... I'm not sure how he improves the team.

Stokes ........ If his idea of making Ronny Deila look like an idiot for not picking him is to look no better than a bog standard Championship striker on a poor run of form its working perfectly .... a guy of his quality should be nowhere near as bang average as he has looked since he came to ER on loan. There's no doubt the guy has quality, but he needs to get the finger out.

Shrekko
25-02-2016, 12:37 AM
Good to read a lot of opinions from folk that know more about Alan Stubbs and his team who apparently don't have 'football brains'.

I'm gutted as anyone else tonight but the blame game is so predictable- some folk just dying to get stuck into certain players and getting their chance now. Absolutely brutal support we've got at times. The ones who claim we're just like everyone else are kidding themselves on- can't be many supports who revel in negativity more than us.

No we shouldn't be losing to Morton at home etc etc but these things happen over a season. Can't make players heroes one week then slate half of them for being not good enough the week after.

hfc rd
25-02-2016, 12:37 AM
Don't know who the sponsors MOTM was. I'm struggling to pick out any player that got pass marks.

S4uzee
25-02-2016, 12:39 AM
Why rest Bartley and hanlon when they are getting a rest through suspension for the ICT game. Makes no sense

ehf
25-02-2016, 12:40 AM
Don't know who the sponsors MOTM was. I'm struggling to pick out any player that got pass marks.

It was Henderson.

Centre Hawf
25-02-2016, 12:50 AM
Good to read a lot of opinions from folk that know more about Alan Stubbs and his team who apparently don't have 'football brains'.

I'm gutted as anyone else tonight but the blame game is so predictable- some folk just dying to get stuck into certain players and getting their chance now. Absolutely brutal support we've got at times. The ones who claim we're just like everyone else are kidding themselves on- can't be many supports who revel in negativity more than us.

No we shouldn't be losing to Morton at home etc etc but these things happen over a season. Can't make players heroes one week then slate half of them for being not good enough the week after.

I think Alan Stubbs does have a footballing brain, which was why he took Thomson off at 3-0 to stop it becoming 4 or 5 as the man quite clearly couldn't perform his duty, Bartley had to come in to give us a platform to try and push forward to gain something out the game. What remains to be seen is if he makes the same mistake by playing him from the start again. His only solitary use in this team is when we're 1 or 2 goals up and need to slow the game or see it out.

Cameron1875
25-02-2016, 01:24 AM
Pretty fair thread. Kevin Thomson is absolutely finished.

He did well at Tynie in the last 25 but sorry he wasn't that great against them at ER and was shocking tonight. Can't say I was overally impressed by his 2nd spell either.

Stokes just doesn't seem too fussed about football anymore which is a shame cause he's a great player when he puts the work in.
Burds and bevvy seems to have caused his career to freefall. Pity.

green day
25-02-2016, 05:17 AM
Why rest Bartley and hanlon when they are getting a rest through suspension for the ICT game. Makes no sense

Forgot about that, oh dear not last night's defence again for ICT........please!

Crammond Hibee
25-02-2016, 06:54 AM
I think Alan Stubbs does have a footballing brain, which was why he took Thomson off at 3-0 to stop it becoming 4 or 5 as the man quite clearly couldn't perform his duty, Bartley had to come in to give us a platform to try and push forward to gain something out the game. What remains to be seen is if he makes the same mistake by playing him from the start again. His only solitary use in this team is when we're 1 or 2 goals up and need to slow the game or see it out.
Bartley should never have been left out
Nor Hanlon
To leave out your top two performers is not
Clever

500miles
25-02-2016, 07:02 AM
We need either Bartley or Hanlon in the team. They read the game very well, and would have picked up those counter attacks.

The players have put in a power of work this season, and I'd be slower to criticise. We missed some great chances, couldn't get the break of the ball in the box, were victims of some awful decisions, first half particularly, and the Ox had an uncharacteristic shocker. A wee bit of a perfect storm.

Roll on Saturday.

CorrieHibs
25-02-2016, 07:23 AM
I agree with hanlon also. Said it during the match how badly we missed him.

That's stokes played 6 games started 5 and we've failed to score in 2 of them.

Is Hanlon and Bartley out for the ICT match?

Brooster
25-02-2016, 07:42 AM

Incredible decision to drop Hanlon and Bartley for Fontaine and Thomson who are both inferior. Hibs were asking for trouble last night.

midfield_maestro
25-02-2016, 07:46 AM
Pretty fair thread. Kevin Thomson is absolutely finished.

He did well at Tynie in the last 25 but sorry he wasn't that great against them at ER and was shocking tonight. Can't say I was overally impressed by his 2nd spell either.

Stokes just doesn't seem too fussed about football anymore which is a shame cause he's a great player when he puts the work in.
Burds and bevvy seems to have caused his career to freefall. Pity.

Walker never got a foot on the ball at Easter Road, because of Thomson.

lucky
25-02-2016, 07:51 AM
Thompson played well at the PBS, strolled the Alloa game and never misplaced a pass for the first 20 minutes last night. However his lack of pace left him struggling. Morton got at Hibs with both their wingers ripping our full backs. KT is a decent player and will contribute going forward.

Hanlon has been our best CH this season but there have been those on here that have slaughtered him.. McGregor got caught out going forward when we were chasing the game. But both him and Fontaine have been solid.

Stokes is clearly a talented footballer but last night it appeared that he thought he was too good for this league. I do think him and JC play similar type of game. But it's hard for AS not to play Stokes as he's the most talented player in the league.

We have accept we are not going to win every week.

Crammond Hibee
25-02-2016, 07:54 AM

Sorry
He's not fit enough or quick enough to be playing for Hibs and certainly not as good as Bartley

Beefster
25-02-2016, 08:58 AM
Some folk don't half talk some pish. Sportspeople sometimes have an off-day. Suck it up and stop reacting like a little girl who's been told that her favourite member of One Direction has a girlfriend.

Crammond Hibee
25-02-2016, 09:14 AM
Some folk don't half talk some pish. Sportspeople sometimes have an off-day. Suck it up and stop reacting like a little girl who's been told that her favourite member of One Direction has a girlfriend.

I stick by my statement despite your poor reply

500miles
25-02-2016, 09:15 AM
Thomson isn't finished, but he hasn't got the legs to protect the back four. He can still make some great passes and start moves.

lapsedhibee
25-02-2016, 09:16 AM

Would make sense if Stubbsy was trying out a team without Bartley and Hanlon in it to see what might work for the ICT game. In other words, partially using last night's game as preparation for the cup quarter final. Some difficult decisions when you're committed to going for the quadruple!

paddy1875

I agree Thomson played well in the first half again hearts but it was clear to see his legs were all but gone in the second half. Picked up a booking early doors for a late lunge that could've maybe been red card. Plus that Wee tadger walker was just back for them after being out for about two months

I think Thomson does have a place at Easter road but for me he should be coming off the bench to maybe give Bartley a rest once games are seen out.

I seen Dylan sweeping up behind the midfield tonight which is what big Marv has been doing and doing it very well the past few weeks.

With Bartley in there it gives us the 3 attacking midfielders that can go forward without worrying to much about getting caught on the break and leaving Kevin on his own.

Thomson has a lot to offer us but for me it's coming off the bench

flash

The blood letting and singling out is despicable yet utterly predictable.

Shrekko
25-02-2016, 09:21 AM

He actually took him off at 2-0 and it finished 3-0. Surprised your football brain didnt notice that.

Thomson didnt play great- certainly didnt have a shocker. He should and will be used as 'a squad player' but the over-reaction on here to his performance is laughable and typical.

Oxley, Gray and Fontaine were awful, even McGregor had a poor night and Cummings missed an absolute sitter but it was a certainty that Thomson and Stokes would be the ones taking the flak.

happiehibbie
25-02-2016, 09:40 AM
and the fickle Hibs support Strike back !!!!

sometimes it Happens its how team react. Hopefully not as drastic as some supporters

hibs0666
25-02-2016, 09:44 AM

Opinion is that it's radge to come to an opinion based on one game.

Shrekko
25-02-2016, 09:58 AM
Opinion is that it's radge to come to an opinion based on one game.

Shouldnt be a surprise though- the 'Thomson is finished' first reared it's head within 10 minutes of him coming on at Tynecastle.

Anyone saying Stokes is 'useless' in the context of Scottish football should actually be getting ridiculed when you look at his record over 6/7 seasons.

Most of the boys had off nights last night- why does there need to be witch hunts?

Hibs1992
25-02-2016, 10:00 AM

I'm fairly certain you would see a similar reaction if Rangers, Hearts or Aberdeen lost 0-3 to Morton.

A truly stinking result

tomhorn
25-02-2016, 10:01 AM
Been done to death already on this thread but have to agree. Thomson isn't good enough to play at this level anymore. He has been unlucky with injury and I have nothing against him personally but his performances speak for themselves.

Northern Hibby
25-02-2016, 10:09 AM
last night should have been the same team as Sundays i.e. those who were eager to impress, not those who think they are 1st team guaranteed pick , was last night same team as against Livi?

Brightside
25-02-2016, 10:11 AM

You can slate all of them if they don't put the effort in... they simply didn't do that. If players are not busting a gut to get back in position and clear lines they should be playing. Almost all of them were in that position last night.

Shrekko
25-02-2016, 10:33 AM
You can slate all of them if they don't put the effort in... they simply didn't do that. If players are not busting a gut to get back in position and clear lines they should be playing. Almost all of them were in that position last night.

They're not particularly being slated for lack of effort though from what I've read!!

Players who've had threads singing their praises in the past fortnight are now 'useless' and 'finished'.

Most of the players had pretty bad nights last night- I dont think the effort was much greater or worse than most games. We play a fairly passive style, got knocked out of it by losing a couple of goals and didnt really have the answers on the night.

It was a poor TEAM effort which I can just about forgive in context but maybe thats just me.

madhatter
25-02-2016, 10:41 AM
They're not particularly being slated for lack of effort though from what I've read!!

Players who've had threads singing their praises in the past fortnight are now 'useless' and 'finished'.

Most of the players had pretty bad nights last night- I dont think the effort was much greater or worse than most games. We play a fairly passive style, got knocked out of it by losing a couple of goals and didnt really ahve the answers on the night.

It was a poor TEAM effort which I can just about forgive in context but maybe thats just me.

I didn't start threads praising Thomson or Stokes. I've always thought Thomson was finished even when he was here the last time when we got relegated. Stokes has not improved as a player since he left us all those years ago, he has regressed due to poor attitude. Being at Celtic fed his ego and his off-field antics and lack of effort on field are testament to him thinking he is "big time".

Cant possibly salivate over positive threads and then shoot down negative threads because they are negative and do not conform with what was said 2 weeks previous by someone else. I guess if we stormed into the playoffs with great form and then
collapsed to a 9-0 thrashing to Killie people might go from positive to negative. 0-3 loss to Morton is shameful, simple as and whilst team were woeful, Thomson struggled to keep up with play and Stokes looked like he couldn't be bothered to play.

Shrekko
25-02-2016, 10:53 AM
I didn't start threads praising Thomson or Stokes. I've always thought Thomson was finished even when he was here the last time when we got relegated. Stokes has not improved as a player since he left us all those years ago, he has regressed due to poor attitude. Being at Celtic fed his ego and his off-field antics and lack of effort on field are testament to him thinking he is "big time".

Cant possibly salivate over positive threads and then shoot down negative threads because they are negative and do not conform with what was said 2 weeks previous by someone else. I guess if we stormed into the playoffs with great form and then
collapsed to a 9-0 thrashing to Killie people might go from positive to negative. 0-3 loss to Morton is shameful, simple as and whilst team were woeful, Thomson struggled to keep up with play and Stokes looked like he couldn't be bothered to play.

I'm not just talking about the OP though- where were all the 'Thomson's finished' comments last week? And he's not by the way, even though he shouldnt and won't be a regular starter.

Saying Stokes is 'useless' is just nonsense in any context. Absolute rubbish.

hibbytam
25-02-2016, 10:57 AM
I think singling players out is wrong, because it was clearly the team as a whole that failed, and I think a large portion of blame should go to Stubbs for that, particularly the second half. It was clear they had us for pace at the back, but for some reason Thomson stayed on. I don't think he's finished, but he doesn't have the legs to do that anymore.
Stokes is an odd one, we've not sorted how best to fit him in the team. The problem is it's pushing cummings out wide, where he always cuts inside. And he's not scoring enough for a player of his ability.

I agree hanlon's essential, if he's fit he should be playing. And the same goes for bartley on his current form.

Smartie
25-02-2016, 11:24 AM
I think singling players out is wrong, because it was clearly the team as a whole that failed, and I think a large portion of blame should go to Stubbs for that, particularly the second half. It was clear they had us for pace at the back, but for some reason Thomson stayed on. I don't think he's finished, but he doesn't have the legs to do that anymore.
Stokes is an odd one, we've not sorted how best to fit him in the team. The problem is it's pushing cummings out wide, where he always cuts inside. And he's not scoring enough for a player of his ability.

I agree hanlon's essential, if he's fit he should be playing. And the same goes for bartley on his current form.

TBH if I were to point the finger at anyone last night it would be Stubbs - he was significantly more culpable than any individual player out there, or the ref.

Wrong team selection, too much rotation, wrong subs, wrong tactics, didn't read the game well enough, wrong to keep persevering with Cummings and Stokes. I mean, he was totally outfoxed by Jim Duffy ffs (who I grudgingly admit should be given great credit for coming up with a cracking game plan and getting his players to carry it out perfectly).

Stubbs has got enough in the bag already for me to get too wound up about it but he has to take a lot of the responsibility for last night's result.

lumbo_hfc
25-02-2016, 11:54 AM
Thomson isn't good enough to play at this level anymore. He has been unlucky with injury and I have nothing against him personally but his performances speak for themselves.

His performances at tynie when he came on was good, a lot of the play going through him and in the first half at Easter road against hearts he was arguably our best player. I do admit that he does tire more but that was expected but he is far from finished and is gonna still have a big part to play this season

Crammond Hibee
25-02-2016, 11:57 AM
Been done to death already on this thread but have to agree. Thomson isn't good enough to play at this level anymore. He has been unlucky with injury and I have nothing against him personally but his performances speak for themselves.

In a nutshell !

tomhorn
25-02-2016, 12:28 PM
His performances at tynie when he came on was good, a lot of the play going through him and in the first half at Easter road against hearts he was arguably our best player. I do admit that he does tire more but that was expected but he is far from finished and is gonna still have a big part to play this season

To me he looked well off the pace against Hearts at ER and as such gave away silly fouls.

Toldo123
25-02-2016, 12:35 PM
To me he looked well off the pace against Hearts at ER and as such gave away silly fouls.

Agreed. Between Thomson and Stokes's lack of running ability, was one of the main reasons that hearts dominated the second half.

Mikey09
25-02-2016, 01:58 PM

Kevin Thomson isn't good enough to play Championship football?! :faf::faf::faf::faf:

tomhorn
25-02-2016, 02:07 PM
Kevin Thomson isn't good enough to play Championship football?! :faf::faf::faf::faf:

Genuinely no idea why that is funny. I am basing this on his performance in championship football. Do you think he has been good?

Crammond Hibee
25-02-2016, 02:08 PM
Genuinely no idea why that is funny. I am basing this on his performance in championship football. Do you think he has been good?

I don't

bigwheel
25-02-2016, 02:18 PM

i think the reason views like this are not taken seriously are:

a) When fit, he has performed well at top league level this season with Dundee

b) Anyone who witnessed his performances vs Hearts would recognise he still has a lot to offer

c) It comes over as knee-jerk to a poor performance last night...rather than a considered analysis

People would have much more respect to views such as this if they were based on more than sweeping opinion after a bad result

sogi7777
25-02-2016, 02:26 PM
Stubbs would have learned more about the team last night than if we had won 1-0 again. Everybody I spoke to last night felt this result was coming in the league (sunday excepted). Maybe this will be a blessing in disguise, maybe the manager has too many options except for left back. Stokes was poor because of his movement off the ball which is a real problem for the midfield players finding him. I still think some of the players need to play every game

easty
25-02-2016, 02:29 PM
Stubbs would have learned more about the team last night than if we had won 1-0 again. Everybody I spoke to last night felt this result was coming in the league (sunday excepted). Maybe this will be a blessing in disguise, maybe the manager has too many options except for left back. Stokes was poor because of his movement off the ball which is a real problem for the midfield players finding him. I still think some of the players need to play every game

It absolutely isn't a blessing in disguise.

j.higg
25-02-2016, 03:03 PM
A bit harsh this thread

I agree with the Oxley quote. In my opinion he should be dropped and the new guy given a shot between the sticks. No doubt in my mind that Oxley cost us the first 2 goals against Morton. Guy scored from a header about 5 yards out!! and the second was a joke.......terrible terrible goalkeeping. If I was big Virtanen sitting on the bench......I'd be wondering how bad Oxley needs to get before I'll get a chance here!!!!

Poor poor show all round last night, however we roll on and hope the boys can sort it out at Dumbarton. GGTTH

MWHIBBIES
25-02-2016, 03:12 PM
I agree with the Oxley quote. In my opinion he should be dropped and the new guy given a shot between the sticks. No doubt in my mind that Oxley cost us the first 2 goals against Morton. Guy scored from a header about 5 yards out!! and the second was a joke.......terrible terrible goalkeeping. If I was big Virtanen sitting on the bench......I'd be wondering how bad Oxley needs to get before I'll get a chance here!!!!

Poor poor show all round last night, however we roll on and hope the boys can sort it out at Dumbarton. GGTTHHe probably knows that keepers have bad games and doesn't piss his pants when it happens, Oxley has been very good for 90% of this season and deserves his spot.

Brightside
25-02-2016, 03:37 PM
He probably knows that keepers have bad games and doesn't piss his pants when it happens, Oxley has been very good for 90% of this season and deserves his spot.

Oxley only has about 3 shots against him per game. Easy for a goalie to look good with Hanlon in front of you.

Since90+2
25-02-2016, 03:41 PM
Oxley is the weakest link in the side. You very very rarely see him make a save that makes you think that just won us the game or earned us a point.

I would give Virtanen a shot as he can only be an improvement.

MWHIBBIES
25-02-2016, 03:56 PM
Oxley only has about 3 shots against him per game. Easy for a goalie to look good with Hanlon in front of you.That is wonderful logic. Has Buffon only looked good because Cannavaro, Thuram, Chiellini, Nesta, Barzagli and Bonucci have been in front of him? How about Neuer, only good because Benatia and Badstuber are in front of him? Maybe Cech because of Terry and Carvalho?

Oxley has been very solid for a large majority of this season. He was poor last night and should be criticized for it but people should not just make **** up to suit their argument.

Andy74
25-02-2016, 04:00 PM
Oxley is the weakest link in the side. You very very rarely see him make a save that makes you think that just won us the game or earned us a point.

I would give Virtanen a shot as he can only be an improvement.

You do actually.

MWHIBBIES
25-02-2016, 04:00 PM

I would give Virtanen a shot as he can only be an improvement.Boring. 2 months ago Fyvie was the weakest link, 2 years ago it was Hanlon, 2 years before that it was Lewis. Oxley makes plenty of saves that earn us important points.

FranckSuzy
25-02-2016, 04:06 PM
First loss at ER in months and quite a few new, or rarely heard from, posters appear....:hmmm:

Since90+2
25-02-2016, 04:10 PM
Boring. 2 months ago Fyvie was the weakest link, 2 years ago it was Hanlon, 2 years before that it was Lewis. Oxley makes plenty of saves that earn us important points.

Who is the weakest link in the side then? Or are we that good we don't have one?

The goalkeeper is the weakest link in our current side. No doubt about that on my opinion.

MWHIBBIES
25-02-2016, 04:12 PM
Who is the weakest link in the side then? Or are we that good we don't have one?

The goalkeeper is the weakest link in our current side. No doubt about that on my opinion.Supporters who stick the boot in after 1 loss.

B.H.F.C
25-02-2016, 04:14 PM
Supporters who stick the boot in after 1 loss.

Big bad supporters getting upset after being pumped by 3 goals at home to bloody Morton. A result that leaves us out of the title race.

Since90+2
25-02-2016, 04:17 PM

I meant on the field of play , but im guessing you knew that.

If not the goalkeeping position what area of the side are we weakest in? Or do you think we are at a level that we don't have a weakness?

madhatter
25-02-2016, 04:20 PM

Haha you simply can't be serious. 0-3 loss to Morton should be enough to stick both boots in. Let's be honest that result has been coming, we have reliance on fullbacks for width and without them on their game we struggle. Along with that unless we are playing good readers of the game with pace at the back we get outnumbered on the break too easily and left horribly exposed. It could have been 5-2 to them. That is not good enough. I could accept a loss but something verging on a thrashing...no, not from Morton.

GreenPJ
25-02-2016, 04:21 PM
Big bad supporters getting upset after being pumped by 3 goals at home to bloody Morton. A result that leaves us out of the title race.

I would be surprised if Rangers do not slip up again at least once before we play them again - we need to capitalise on it when they do and we are back to being on their coat tails.

MWHIBBIES
25-02-2016, 04:21 PM
Big bad supporters getting upset after being pumped by 3 goals at home to bloody Morton. A result that leaves us out of the title race.Difference between getting upset and getting on the teams back. Both are rather pointless though and don't help us win the next game.

B.H.F.C
25-02-2016, 04:27 PM
I would be surprised if Rangers do not slip up again at least once before we play them again - we need to capitalise on it when they do and we are back to being on their coat tails.

Rangers need to lose 3 games with us winning all 11 of ours. They haven't lost 3 league games all season.

I really hope I'm proved wrong, but I'd be amazed if the above happens.

madhatter
25-02-2016, 04:41 PM
Difference between getting upset and getting on the teams back. Both are rather pointless though and don't help us win the next game.

Nothing we do helps us win the next match unless you are coach or player...

MWHIBBIES
25-02-2016, 04:46 PM
Nothing we do helps us win the next match unless you are coach or player...Selling out Dumbarton and getting right behind the team will.

madhatter
25-02-2016, 04:55 PM
Selling out Dumbarton and getting right behind the team will.

Is there any proof to back that hypothesis?

Morton 30 fans - win 0-3 away from home.
Hibs 8400 fans - 3-0 loss at home.

Recent trips to Hampden also suggest selling out does not influence results.

Had enough of notion that us fans need to pick up the pieces. Are we not doing enough of that? Back the boys when they fail spectacularly, buy ST and back HSL to fix mistakes made by Petrie and Farmer.

Attendances != results
Results = attendances

MWHIBBIES
25-02-2016, 04:57 PM
Is there any proof to back that hypothesis?Ask the players what is more likely to motivate them, 17k against Hearts all backing them or 8k last night getting on their back. 1 loss shouldn't have some tripping over themselves to stick the boot in and say I told you so. It is pathetic. This team have more than earned our support.

1987kev
25-02-2016, 05:02 PM
Ask the players what is more likely to motivate them, 17k against Hearts all backing them or 8k last night getting on their back. 1 loss shouldn't have some tripping over themselves to stick the boot in and say I told you so. It is pathetic. This team have more than earned our support.

Any fans in the world would have a moan if your team getting pump of lesser team anyway there big enough and ugly enough to handle abit booing .

madhatter
25-02-2016, 05:04 PM
Ask the players what is more likely to motivate them, 17k against Hearts all backing them or 8k last night getting on their back. 1 loss shouldn't have some tripping over themselves to stick the boot in and say I told you so. It is pathetic. This team have more than earned our support.

No they haven't. Neither has Stubbs. Turn up fine but unwavering support, no. They have done nothing. We have won nothing.

Put it this way, as fans we are paying their wages so I think that should motivate them. I'd be embarrassed by that performance and we should be strolling against most in this league and we aren't.

MWHIBBIES
25-02-2016, 05:15 PM
No they haven't. Neither has Stubbs. Turn up fine but unwavering support, no. They have done nothing. We have won nothing.

Put it this way, as fans we are paying their wages so I think that should motivate them. I'd be embarrassed by that performance and we should be strolling against most in this league and we aren't.You're supporting the wrong club if you feel they only deserve your support when they win something.

The performance was bad yes, the season has been very promising. So glad our owners and directors have the gift of perspective unlike many on here.

The_Horde
25-02-2016, 05:25 PM
Oxley only has about 3 shots against him per game. Easy for a goalie to look good with Hanlon in front of you.

I think, a lot of the time, Oxley gets away with it because the strikers hit half decent shots and folk think he "has no chance". Whereas I think, in these situations, any goalkeeper worth his salt can pull off a save in at least one of those instances. We have a very average goalie in an otherwise pretty good side. He's definitely a weak link.

For instance, the yams 2 goals against us.

GreenPJ
25-02-2016, 05:40 PM
Rangers need to lose 3 games with us winning all 11 of ours. They haven't lost 3 league games all season.

I really hope I'm proved wrong, but I'd be amazed if the above happens.

Between 1st Nov and 19 Dec Rangers P6, w2, D2, L2. Same again please.

I know its a big ask and we will need to win every game but if we do that up until we play them I am convinced they will at least draw a couple and then if we beat them at ER they will feel the pressure.

Greenworld
25-02-2016, 06:32 PM
A freak result should of been 2 up at least first half...it happens from time to time...team looked flat for some reason...but don't panic

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
25-02-2016, 06:54 PM
Am I right in thinking Morton are the only team to take a point at Ibrox this season?

familyman
25-02-2016, 07:04 PM
Yes anyone watching the Livingston match would see they could and probably should have scored more, the warning signs were there.So to lose 3-0 last night while a shock was to some extent inevitable with so many changes recently.The absence of Hanlon and Barclay as a starter was a bad decision as we saw from no-one taking responsibility or even jumping for the dangerous corners(4th one, previous 3 all impressive by Morton).Hanlon also would anticipate and block those spaces we left so often.Our midfield ran into nowhere and blind alley ways ,It is clear that we do NOT have a pool of players than we can afford to mess about with.Thomson did not have a good match,Stokes was ineffective and for me at least tinkering upsets the flow and momentum of the team and it backfired spectacularly...Tactically Duffy got it right and as usual we had no plan B.Our defenders were closed down time and again by Morton's 3 front men, yet we did not change our pattern of play..why not?
What will we feel like if we meet Morton in the Play offs?

A shocker and the rhetoric of trusting the players ..well.....!!!!!

Shape up or ship out....the clock is ticking.

Brooster
25-02-2016, 07:04 PM
Just seen the highlights. Oxley is shocking at the first 2 goals.

madhatter
25-02-2016, 07:09 PM
You're supporting the wrong club if you feel they only deserve your support when they win something.

The performance was bad yes, the season has been very promising. So glad our owners and directors have the gift of perspective unlike many on here.

Our owners and directors gift for perspective? Haha that's hilarious. Where was that when we were an abject failure for years and struggled to avoid relegation year on year. Gift of perspective is still something they lack. If we fail to get promoted this year it could very well be catastrophic. We will eventually get promoted but what will be left of the club when the "gift of perspective" that our "owners" possess is getting credited when we are battling in bottom six and a few thousand more fans don't turn up every week? Winning games should be credited, this is football, results is everything. Launching more share issues will do nothing for club if more fans are turning backs because we get thrashed by Morton. Also Morton game is not freak result, we have been fortunate more than once and our results have rarely been 4-0 even at home. Comfort is rarely felt at ER. Still hasn't been remediated. Bundle of nerves against Morton is not what we should be feeling.

kaimendhibs
25-02-2016, 07:16 PM
Just seen the highlights. Oxley is shocking at the first 2 goals.

Weak link but seems untouchable.

MWHIBBIES
25-02-2016, 07:21 PM
Weak link but seems untouchable.You know better than Stubbs of course.

kaimendhibs
25-02-2016, 07:25 PM
You know better than Stubbs of course.

What are you on about? Have you seen his balls ups? I go home and away so know when someone makes howlers? Has he ever been dropped? No is the answer. He us a weak link in a very good team

MWHIBBIES
25-02-2016, 07:28 PM
What are you on about? Have you seen his balls ups? I go home and away so know when someone makes howlers? Has he ever been dropped? No is the answer. He us a weak link in a very good teamIf he was actually half as bad as you are making out I'm sure our manager would have done something about it. 2 months ago Fyvie was the weak link in a very good team, I feel like we could do better as a support to nominate a scapegoat we can all agree on.

kaimendhibs
25-02-2016, 07:33 PM
If he was actually half as bad as you are making out I'm sure our manager would have done something about it. 2 months ago Fyvie was the weak link in a very good team, I feel like we could do better as a support to nominate a scapegoat we can all agree on.

Have a look through all my posts and see if i ever slate players and get back to me. The fact is we have a very good squad/team and he is a weak link. Dont accuse me of nominating scapegoats, this is my honest opinion. Anyway mark, i will be at dumbarton and palmerston supporting you!

Brooster
25-02-2016, 07:35 PM
Weak link but seems untouchable.

I agree. Not got the bottle to attack high balls and very poor shot stopper. Was just a matter of time before he cost us.....it will happen again as well.

givescotlandfreedom
25-02-2016, 07:42 PM
Have a look through all my posts and see if i ever slate players and get back to me. The fact is we have a very good squad/team and he is a weak link. Dont accuse me of nominating scapegoats, this is my honest opinion. Anyway mark, i will be at dumbarton and palmerston supporting you!

Agreed. Unfortunately he takes too many mistakes for me. Bad for fumbling, often fails to command his area and not a great kicker of the ball. Maybe a back up but I don't think he can be relied upon.

Beefster
25-02-2016, 07:47 PM
I stick by my statement despite your poor reply

You seem to have taken my post as a response to yours but I didn't read your post until now.

Boring. 2 months ago Fyvie was the weakest link, 2 years ago it was Hanlon, 2 years before that it was Lewis. Oxley makes plenty of saves that earn us important points.

Indeed. It only took a week for Thomson and Stokes to go from being lauded for their performance against Hearts to being written off.

kaimendhibs
25-02-2016, 07:51 PM
What was the last save that earned us points?

3pm
25-02-2016, 08:07 PM
What was the last save that earned us points?

Livingston.

kaimendhibs
25-02-2016, 08:13 PM
Livingston.

And the last cock up that cost us? He is a goalie, they are supposed to make the odd save!!

Beefster
25-02-2016, 08:19 PM
And the last cock up that cost us? He is a goalie, they are supposed to make the odd save!!

He's also human and playing for Hibs, which would suggest that he's going to make the odd howler. A midfielder often gets away with it because he'll have 4 or 5 players behind him. No such luck for a keeper.

kaimendhibs
25-02-2016, 08:23 PM
He's also human and playing for Hibs, which would suggest that he's going to make the odd howler. A midfielder often gets away with it because he'll have 4 or 5 players behind him. No such luck for a keeper.

I agree. He is human. However, other players get a rest/dropped when make big mistakes, he doesnt. I dont dislike him, just feel he is not good enough for Hibs. It is my opinion and i am allowed it. I am human and if i made mistakes at work i would be in deep troublr

Radium
25-02-2016, 08:53 PM
I think that there is a difference between needing to make changes during a game where systems or players are not working out and players not being good enough.
On Wednesday we were better than okay in the first half hour but didn't take our chances and ended up a goal down.
We then started chasing the game at which point I thought we needed Bartley rather than Thomson, simply because he looks to be better at protecting the centre backs. I thought that when Bartley was late out for the half time warm up that the change was happening at half time.
Re Stokes, his best work was generally outside the area whilst Cummings had been finding space in the area so Stokes seemed the one that needed hooked.
Not a fan of three forwards so think the subs should have been made in a different order.
Believe that both Thomson and Stokes will have a part to play going forward.

hibby6270
25-02-2016, 09:51 PM
Back to the original OPs comments.

Thomson finished? No - but as has been said earlier, he is better coming on to defend when we are ahead and need to protect a lead. He's not a first team starter imo.

Stokes useless? He has been pretty much so far. Would be better employed as an impact sub imo. He still ha something to offer.

Hanlon crucial? Don't even need to say more.

There's 2 other factors of late that have led to these inconsistent results.

Malonga should never have been allowed to move on. I'd much rather we had held on to him until end of season. He helps us to win league and then he can go for free ax a thank you for his efforts.

And the last few games have shown why we miss Fraser Fyvie big time. He plays the holding midfielder role well but is far more of an attacking threat. This takes some of the pressure off Henderson, McGinn and McGeough to what sometimes looks like over performing. As a result they've been making more mistakes tha earlier in the season.

Still - as the OP says - these are my opinions. You might not agree with them but it's how I see it.

And cue backlash!!

The Harp Awakes
25-02-2016, 10:59 PM
Back to the original OPs comments.

Thomson finished? No - but as has been said earlier, he is better coming on to defend when we are ahead and need to protect a lead. He's not a first team starter imo.

Stokes useless? He has been pretty much so far. Would be better employed as an impact sub imo. He still ha something to offer.

Hanlon crucial? Don't even need to say more.

There's 2 other factors of late that have led to these inconsistent results.

Malonga should never have been allowed to move on. I'd much rather we had held on to him until end of season. He helps us to win league and then he can go for free ax a thank you for his efforts.

And the last few games have shown why we miss Fraser Fyvie big time. He plays the holding midfielder role well but is far more of an attacking threat. This takes some of the pressure off Henderson, McGinn and McGeough to what sometimes looks like over performing. As a result they've been making more mistakes tha earlier in the season.

Still - as the OP says - these are my opinions. You might not agree with them but it's how I see it.

And cue backlash!!

Far from it, I think you're pretty much spot on.

On Malonga, the frustration for me is that he offered something different from the forwards we presently have at the Club. His control was 1st class, he held the ball up well and wasn't scared to have a shot from distance. Now he's gone we are more predictable up front.

Hanlon - for me he has been a revelation this season. As well as defending well he's a decent footballer. I don't agree with leaving him out of the team at all unless injured. We should be building the team around him.

Thomson - I think he's a squad player who we can rely on to do a job when required, a bit like what he did at Tynecastle. He's not finished but needs to be used when circumstances dictate.

Stokes - Being honest he's not lived up to expectations since he arrived. Having said that, we've seen in flashes what a good footballer he is albeit he's lacking match practice and maybe a bit of confidence which scoring regularly brings. As a support we need to get off his back, encourage him and I'm sure he will improve. He could just be the player to produce the goods in the big games we have ahead.

Mikey09
25-02-2016, 11:35 PM
First loss at ER in months and quite a few new, or rarely heard from, posters appear....:hmmm:

:agree:

Mikey09
25-02-2016, 11:46 PM

Its no funny...its ****** hysterical!! As someone else said, Thomson never gave Walker a sniff in the SC replay. I sensed as soon as Kev signed that the first sign of a poor performance would be jumped on by some... It's soooooooo predictable. On his day Kev is a top player. It just so happened he was poor against Morton but tell me, who played well?! McGinn was poor but his name hasn't been mentioned? Strange that. Seems that as soon as a player hits a certain age and he has a poor game he's "finished" or "his legs have gone." As I said before, one defeat and the knives are out for CERTAIN PLAYERS...

I don't

Care to elaborate...

Mikey09
25-02-2016, 11:55 PM
What are you on about? Have you seen his balls ups? I go home and away so know when someone makes howlers? Has he ever been dropped? No is the answer. He us a weak link in a very good team

Most managers stick with their 1st choice keeper... I'll let you work out why.

Danderhall Hibs
25-02-2016, 11:57 PM
I agree. He is human. However, other players get a rest/dropped when make big mistakes, he doesnt. I dont dislike him, just feel he is not good enough for Hibs. It is my opinion and i am allowed it. I am human and if i made mistakes at work i would be in deep troublr

Cummings out of the team at the weekend then.

broondog
26-02-2016, 12:32 AM
stokes has been dire since hes come back. doesnt seem to be trying, there's a special player in there but at the moment there are three strikers in front of him. he needs to pull the finger out.

Sicknote is finished unfortunately, slowest man in the league.

Pete
26-02-2016, 12:47 AM
This thread is starting to reek. Saying that it probably reeked from the start.

Crammond Hibee
26-02-2016, 07:54 AM
Its no funny...its ****** hysterical!! As someone else said, Thomson never gave Walker a sniff in the SC replay. I sensed as soon as Kev signed that the first sign of a poor performance would be jumped on by some... It's soooooooo predictable. On his day Kev is a top player. It just so happened he was poor against Morton but tell me, who played well?! McGinn was poor but his name hasn't been mentioned? Strange that. Seems that as soon as a player hits a certain age and he has a poor game he's "finished" or "his legs have gone." As I said before, one defeat and the knives are out for CERTAIN PLAYERS...

Care to elaborate...
I don't think he has done well .Some good parts in derbies and some bad
The point about McGinn is he is a fit player having a poor game
By KTs own admission he isn't up to the pace of playing at this level hence opposition players run off him
I think he's good to have around to pass on his knowledge to the younger players and coach but is way behind all the other midfielders to start in the team especially Bartley who has been outstanding .

R'Albin
26-02-2016, 08:15 AM

That's the nature of being a goalkeeper. Generally one of the main reasons that a keeper makes it to this level is because they're capable of being consistent. Of course a bit of leeway has to be given, but I think there's been a few too many mistakes from Oxley for a man that sees as little of the ball as he does. A lot of the goals he concedes aren't mistakes as such, but are pretty weak IMO.

I'd personally like to see Virtanen given a go, however, I'm almost certain Stubbs won't and with good reason. I don't know how good his English is and it's a bit of a gamble to unsettle your back line at this stage of the season - especially one that's conceded so few goals.

tomhorn
26-02-2016, 08:48 AM
i think the reason views like this are not taken seriously are:

a) When fit, he has performed well at top league level this season with Dundee

b) Anyone who witnessed his performances vs Hearts would recognise he still has a lot to offer

c) It comes over as knee-jerk to a poor performance last night...rather than a considered analysis

People would have much more respect to views such as this if they were based on more than sweeping opinion after a bad result

I get what you are saying but I have watched every game he has played in since returning and don't think he is good enough to play in the current Hibs team whether that's in the championship or any other league. I thought he was particularly poor against Hearts at ER so I am not just reacting to the Morton result.

kaimendhibs
26-02-2016, 08:51 AM
Cummings out of the team at the weekend then.

Who said Cummings isn't good enough for Hibs?

Danderhall Hibs
26-02-2016, 09:24 AM
Who said Cummings isn't good enough for Hibs?

You said players get rested /dropped when they make big mistakes? Not many bigger than missing an open goal.

kaimendhibs
26-02-2016, 09:27 AM
You said players get rested /dropped when they make big mistakes? Not many bigger than missing an open goal.

Even while getting a shove in the back? Was he not rested against Alloa? You seem to have an issue with my opinion, and I don't know why. I don't boo players or shout abuse, I will be there on Saturday and Tuesday and next Sunday supporting the team so what is your problem?

Beefster
26-02-2016, 09:41 AM
You seem to have an issue with my opinion, and I don't know why.

You made a similar comment to me. This is a public forum, designed for debate, and you're sharing your opinions. You should probably expect at least a couple of folk to disagree with you and let you know about it.

kaimendhibs
26-02-2016, 09:49 AM
Been accused of being at school and being a yam fud is a wee bit ott tho😂

Danderhall Hibs
26-02-2016, 09:49 AM
Even while getting a shove in the back? Was he not rested against Alloa? You seem to have an issue with my opinion, and I don't know why. I don't boo players or shout abuse, I will be there on Saturday and Tuesday and next Sunday supporting the team so what is your problem?

I think I'm allowed to disagree and point out what I see as flaws in your opinion.

kaimendhibs
26-02-2016, 09:52 AM
I think I'm allowed to disagree and point out what I see as flaws in your opinion.

Ok fine. Agree to disagree

FranckSuzy
26-02-2016, 10:19 AM
stokes has been dire since hes come back. doesnt seem to be trying, there's a special player in there but at the moment there are three strikers in front of him. he needs to pull the finger out.

Sicknote is finished unfortunately, slowest man in the league.

Behave :rolleyes:

FranckSuzy
26-02-2016, 10:20 AM
This thread is starting to reek. Saying that it probably reeked from the start.

Yip :agree:

jdships
26-02-2016, 11:08 AM
Watched the gamein the company of a couple of ex Dunfermline/raith players and both agreed that Thomson's best days are behind him and that he needs to be used carefully as part of the squad
Seems fair comment to me !!

Big L
26-02-2016, 11:08 AM
I think AS team selections against Livingston and Morton have cost us dearly. How can you play Thomson in front of Bartley, good teams thrive on continuity this constant changing helps no one. As for Stokes, I'm a bit disappointed!

Beefster
26-02-2016, 11:19 AM
Been accused of being at school and being a yam fud is a wee bit ott tho

Haha! I'll give you that one!

Smartie
26-02-2016, 11:27 AM
I find all this criticism of Thomson weird.

Ok, the way the game panned out it turned into a horrible team performance.

But it's easy to forget we actually started the game quite well, I though we looked really sprightly for the first 20-30 minutes.

This would have been a very different game if McGinn's goal had stood or if Cummings had scored an open goal. We'd have settled, they'd have panicked and who knows what might have happened.

When your strikers aren't taking their chances doubts creep in and that imo led to the appalling way we lost the first goal. Their tails were up, we panicked a bit and it was frightening how much we fell out of the game from then on. Hoofball, players not taking responsibility, poor goalkeeping, poor defending, lack of creativity - it was miserable.

Thinking back to the first half hour though I honestly thought Thomson was superb. His touch and passing was immaculate and if our attacks broke down he'd get them going again. I was really enjoying the game about 25 minutes in and he was one of the main reasons why.

It was only really from their first goal on that he started to struggle and he was far from alone. Maybe Bartley would also have struggled? He didn't look a great deal better when he come on, into a struggling team.

Thomson is not going to be a player who plays 90 minutes every week. But so far he has helped claw us back into a derby at Tynecastle where we were dead and buried, snuffed out Hearts biggest threat in the replay and played a solid 20-30 minutes at the start of the game on Wednesday.

We're going to need to use him wisely - but what more would we expect when he leaves his previous club stating he doesn't think he can cut it at the top level any more? But to suggest he is finished just because he faded out of a game when everyone was struggling is absolute nonsense.

flash
26-02-2016, 12:11 PM
Our biggest problem in my eyes is that neither of the full backs provide anywhere near enough from the amount of possession they have.

Super_JMcGinn
26-02-2016, 12:16 PM
I find all this criticism of Thomson weird.

Ok, the way the game panned out it turned into a horrible team performance.

But it's easy to forget we actually started the game quite well, I though we looked really sprightly for the first 20-30 minutes.

This would have been a very different game if McGinn's goal had stood or if Cummings had scored an open goal. We'd have settled, they'd have panicked and who knows what might have happened.

When your strikers aren't taking their chances doubts creep in and that imo led to the appalling way we lost the first goal. Their tails were up, we panicked a bit and it was frightening how much we fell out of the game from then on. Hoofball, players not taking responsibility, poor goalkeeping, poor defending, lack of creativity - it was miserable.

Thinking back to the first half hour though I honestly thought Thomson was superb. His touch and passing was immaculate and if our attacks broke down he'd get them going again. I was really enjoying the game about 25 minutes in and he was one of the main reasons why.

It was only really from their first goal on that he started to struggle and he was far from alone. Maybe Bartley would also have struggled? He didn't look a great deal better when he come on, into a struggling team.

Thomson is not going to be a player who plays 90 minutes every week. But so far he has helped claw us back into a derby at Tynecastle where we were dead and buried, snuffed out Hearts biggest threat in the replay and played a solid 20-30 minutes at the start of the game on Wednesday.

We're going to need to use him wisely - but what more would we expect when he leaves his previous club stating he doesn't think he can cut it at the top level any more? But to suggest he is finished just because he faded out of a game when everyone was struggling is absolute nonsense.

We all have our opinions, and your defence of Thomson is admirable, if not somewhat selective in the points you make. One could quite easily take the opposite view and say when he came on at Tynie we went 2-0 down almost immediately, possibly because it took him a while to find the pace of the game, I don't know. Dylan going off was a huge loss and up until then when we were dictating the game.

The game at ER where you say Walker was their biggest threat ? I don't know anyone who thinks Walker was their biggest threat looking at the team sheet beforehand. He put himself about which I alluded to on another thread and was castigated for, I still think he was lucky to stay on the park and misplaced many passes, 2 of which nearly put us in serious dog poo. He was far from our best player on the night.

Wed night there he wasn't the only one who had an off night, my fav player was well below his usual standard but still way better than Thommo who was slipping all over the place as if he was playing on ice. I said beforehand it was baffling as to why he was in before big Marv and he should be nowhere near our first team when he is fit.

That said I still think he can play a big part as back up in certain games when required, but it's all about opinions and the only one who's really matters at the end of the day is Stubbsy's, and I hope his is the right one.

Not having a dig at you btw. :aok:

Hibernian Verse
26-02-2016, 12:24 PM
Our biggest problem in my eyes is that neither of the full backs provide anywhere near enough from the amount of possession they have.

Between them they have assisted 10 league goals this season with 5 each, which also makes them joint top league assisters for us with Henderson and McGinn.

Interestingly, Cummings has not assisted a single league goal, with Keatings the only striker to contribute at all (inc. Boyle).

Maybe we need to look elsewhere to lay the blame rather than having a go at two of our key performers.

Also, I have to agree with people saying Cummings needs to offer more than he does. Statistically when he shoots there is a 17% chance he's going to score, same as Keatings. People say Waghorn is no better but has, statistically, more chance of scoring when he takes a shot on goal and has assisted 6 league goals.

ForeverHibs93
26-02-2016, 12:53 PM
Can't believe people still think Thomson is a player, dearie me!

Smartie
26-02-2016, 02:01 PM
We all have our opinions, and your defence of Thomson is admirable, if not somewhat selective in the points you make. One could quite easily take the opposite view and say when he came on at Tynie we went 2-0 down almost immediately, possibly because it took him a while to find the pace of the game, I don't know. Dylan going off was a huge loss and up until then when we were dictating the game.

The game at ER where you say Walker was their biggest threat ? I don't know anyone who thinks Walker was their biggest threat looking at the team sheet beforehand. He put himself about which I alluded to on another thread and was castigated for, I still think he was lucky to stay on the park and misplaced many passes, 2 of which nearly put us in serious dog poo. He was far from our best player on the night.

Wed night there he wasn't the only one who had an off night, my fav player was well below his usual standard but still way better than Thommo who was slipping all over the place as if he was playing on ice. I said beforehand it was baffling as to why he was in before big Marv and he should be nowhere near our first team when he is fit.

That said I still think he can play a big part as back up in certain games when required, but it's all about opinions and the only one who's really matters at the end of the day is Stubbsy's, and I hope his is the right one.

Not having a dig at you btw. :aok:

Fair points.

If you'd have asked me at Tynecastle at half-time if I thought he was finished I'd have said an unequivocal yes based on what I'd seen up to that point.

Walker is a good player, he's scored a peach against us in the past. I always fear clever players who have a bit more skill than physical cloggers. Walker, Nicholson, Billy King - I don't know much about Hearts but know to respect these players, they can do damage. It was a great team performance for us to restrict them to so few openings in that replay and Thommo played his part. I thought we wrung every last drop out of him that night before he collapsed or was sent off.

Whilst Thomson was part of the problem on Tuesday he's still way down my list of players who made that defeat happen and unfortunately there are some high profile, popular figures who just didn't cut it.

Oxley - hopeless
Cummings - hopeless
Stokes - ineffectual
Gray - torn up for ar5epaper by Bobby Barr
McGinn - did nothing
McGregor - badly at fault for a goal
Stevenson - did very little at either end
Henderson - created nowt
Bartley - was not an improvement on Thomson
Keatings - no impact whatsoever

I can't even remember who else played, but I don't think Thomson should be singled out.

Stubbs on Tuesday- basically wtf was he playing at??

Thomson's still got a role to play. We take the lead in that game and there's no way we'd be discussing this now as he was only a small part of our collapse.

Shrekko
26-02-2016, 02:39 PM
Fair points.

If you'd have asked me at Tynecastle at half-time if I thought he was finished I'd have said an unequivocal yes based on what I'd seen up to that point.

Walker is a good player, he's scored a peach against us in the past. I always fear clever players who have a bit more skill than physical cloggers. Walker, Nicholson, Billy King - I don't know much about Hearts but know to respect these players, they can do damage. It was a great team performance for us to restrict them to so few openings in that replay and Thommo played his part. I thought we wrung every last drop out of him that night before he collapsed or was sent off.

Whilst Thomson was part of the problem on Tuesday he's still way down my list of players who made that defeat happen and unfortunately there are some high profile, popular figures who just didn't cut it.

Oxley - hopeless
Cummings - hopeless
Stokes - ineffectual
McGinn - did nothing
Henderson - created nowt

I can't even remember who else played, but I don't think Thomson should be singled out.

Thomson's still got a role to play. We take the lead in that game and there's no way we'd be discussing this now as he was only a small part of our collapse.

This is absolutely spot on.

Disagreeing with the OP doesnt mean you still think KT is the player he was or that Stokes is world class and that's not the argument. The problem is blaming 2 high profile players 'just because' when it's not justified. Some of these knee jerk reactions are ludicrous.

KT was brought in to be a useful guy to have around which he will be. Stokes will come good and score goals like he always does in Scotland. Easy when a striker has a bad game to slate his attitude etc., but most forwards are very similar.

Danderhall Hibs
26-02-2016, 02:50 PM

I completely agree with this.

Danderhall Hibs
26-02-2016, 02:52 PM
Between them they have assisted 10 league goals this season with 5 each, which also makes them joint top league assisters for us with Henderson and McGinn.

Interestingly, Cummings has not assisted a single league goal, with Keatings the only striker to contribute at all (inc. Boyle).

Maybe we need to look elsewhere to lay the blame rather than having a go at two of our key performers.

I don't think it's enough for the amount of possession they're given. Poor crosses that can't beat the first man are common.

They might have an equal amount of assists but my bet would be they've had an awful lot more attempts. The success rate needs to be higher.

ancient hibee
26-02-2016, 06:07 PM
I don't think it's enough for the amount of possession they're given. Poor crosses that can't beat the first man are common.

They might have an equal amount of assists but my bet would be they've had an awful lot more attempts. The success rate needs to be higher.

On the other hand they would have a lot more assists if the passes/crosses had been converted to goals like they should have been.

Smartie
26-02-2016, 06:12 PM
On the other hand they would have a lot more assists if the passes/crosses had been converted to goals like they should have been.

I agree.

The movement and positions that our strikers sometimes take up when we are in good positions out wide can be appalling at times.

Cummings' goal in the replay is an example of exactly how it should be done but too often our forwards are either posted missing, statuesque or fail to get clean contact on the ball.

Keith_M
26-02-2016, 06:16 PM
:faf:

MWHIBBIES
26-02-2016, 06:24 PM
Can't believe people still think Thomson is a player, dearie me!Our manager and coaching staff do, know better than them do you?

mcfly
26-02-2016, 06:26 PM
This thread is a complete joke and some folk need to get a grip.

Wed night was bad yeh but it was 1 game.

We are in a cup final, still in Scottish cup, 2nd place in the league and all folk do is slate players.

Only hibs fans........😩😩

Smartie
26-02-2016, 06:33 PM
This thread is a complete joke and some folk need to get a grip.

Wed night was bad yeh but it was 1 game.

We are in a cup final, still in Scottish cup, 2nd place in the league and all folk do is slate players.

Only hibs fans........

We've dropped 5 points in the last fortnight from games against Livingston and Morton, we sit 8 points off the top of league and we've had mixed results against our likely playoff rivals in a season where promotion is a must.

It's not unreasonable to pick apart questionable team performances and where appropriate criticise individual players, the way we play and why we sometimes fall short of our expectations.

Yes, you point out the positives and at times this season the team have done very well indeed but imo we need to reach those heights more often.

tamig
26-02-2016, 06:46 PM
Fair points.

Oxley - hopeless
Cummings - hopeless
Stokes - ineffectual
McGinn - did nothing
Henderson - created nowt

Agree with a fair bit of your post but Bartley never made a difference? Really? Appreciate we were beat at that point but if he'd been on at HT, I suspect the outcome may well have been different.

Smartie
26-02-2016, 07:03 PM
Agree with a fair bit of your post but Bartley never made a difference? Really? Appreciate we were beat at that point but if he'd been on at HT, I suspect the outcome may well have been different.

Fair enough, it is a bit unfair to criticise him. What was he supposed to do? We were all over the shop by the time he went on.

He didn't turn the game in our favour though and my point really in sticking up for Thomson here is that we were more than the selection of one defensive midfielder over another away from being an acceptable unit on Wednesday night.

rcarter1
26-02-2016, 07:27 PM
Fair enough, it is a bit unfair to criticise him. What was he supposed to do? We were all over the shop by the time he went on.

He didn't turn the game in our favour though and my point really in sticking up for Thomson here is that we were more than the selection of one defensive midfielder over another away from being an acceptable unit on Wednesday night.

Agree that team selection is a total red herring. This was by and large our first team. I think Bartley is too good to leave out, but that was a very strong team. Its was just a stinking night. We could have been out of sight in the first twenty, and then the team just lost their shape/confidence. BTW I think Cummings was fouled when he put the header wide. A penalty at that point and it might have been different. A lesson learned I hope, and a better response - more considered response - to conceding needed in future.

green.oracle
26-02-2016, 07:30 PM
The same Kevin Thomson who was outstanding against Hearts?! Jesus I'm out of here... Pathetic finger pointing. :bye:
Outstanding? He was lucky not to be sent off for his reckless challenge. Afraid his legs have gone long time ago. Offers nothing constructive. IMHO

emerald green
26-02-2016, 07:46 PM
The stench is high on this thread.

Smartie
26-02-2016, 07:51 PM
Agree that team selection is a total red herring. This was by and large our first team. I think Bartley is too good to leave out, but that was a very strong team. Its was just a stinking night. We could have been out of sight in the first twenty, and then the team just lost their shape/confidence. BTW I think Cummings was fouled when he put the header wide. A penalty at that point and it might have been different. A lesson learned I hope, and a better response - more considered response - to conceding needed in future.

It is a bit concerning, although strangely encouraging that our side packed full of fringe players on Sunday managed to put in a much more competent performance than our (virtually) first choice team did on Wednesday.