PDA

View Full Version : Reality check

Malongoals
24-02-2016, 08:48 PM
Sounded like a very poor performance tonight, but this is something I've been thinking of for quite a while.

Our budget is four times less than Rangers, with a manager who has sorted the shambles from last season, it's not exactly shocking that they lead at the top of the table.

I feel that some people have bought into the idea that we should be neck-and-neck with Rangers for the league, the reality is different, if both teams perform to their absolute maximum, I'd say they are slightly better than us.

We should be treating every game like the play-off semi-final now, we need to get used to the pace and mentality required for those sort of games, certainly can't get away with another result like that

J-C
24-02-2016, 08:53 PM
We lack pace and urgency, its all pretty tippy tappy stuff but the reality is we don't score enough goals and we drop points to pish teams too often.

Malongoals
24-02-2016, 08:56 PM
Before this and the Livingston result we hadn't dropped a point to a side that aren't Rangers or Falkirk since September

TheFamous1875
24-02-2016, 08:57 PM
We lack pace and urgency, its all pretty tippy tappy stuff but the reality is we don't score enough goals and we drop points to pish teams too often.

Our so-called 'second' team had huge amounts of pace and urgency in them on Sunday, mainly through Boyle and Carmichael. I think that team would've beaten Morton tonight.

givescotlandfreedom
24-02-2016, 08:57 PM
One to forget. We could have been three or four up when Morton scored but after that they seemed to have us sussed out and had an immense work rate giving us no time on the ball with pressing. The only performer as poor as Hibs overall was John McLean. We should have had a penalty at least for a foul on Stokes, their scorer committed a foul in the move for the second goal before Oxley assisted them and IMO Keatings was also pulled back in the box which was a decent shout. Too many poor performances and hopefully a wake-up call.

paddy1875
24-02-2016, 08:58 PM
The game would've been won had Jason Cummings put away his header and failing that the referee should've gave us a penalty when it went wide of the post.

AndyB_70
24-02-2016, 09:00 PM
Bad day at the office but still wondering how Cummings missed the with 2 free headers. As for our keeper. He doesn't command the 6 yards box never mind the 18 yards and was his flapping that cost us the 2nd goal. Gray looked knackered from the start. He was caught up the park too often leaving us exposed.
Never mind. Onwards and upwards.
GGTTH

Ozyhibby
24-02-2016, 09:02 PM

That's the long term problem Stubbs has failed to fix. Given the players at our disposal, it has to be the way he sets the team up.
If we play like that against Falkirk in the play offs it will be a third season in the championship and a complete failure by Stubbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
24-02-2016, 09:06 PM
A few of last seasons issues reared their heads tonight.

Missing chances in the 1st half, losing sloppy goals and running out of ideas against a team who had something to defend.

Hopefully a bad day at the office as we must consolidate 2nd to avoid anothet 2 fixtures.

Jim44
24-02-2016, 09:07 PM
That's the long term problem Stubbs has failed to fix. Given the players at our disposal, it has to be the way he sets the team up.
If we play like that against Falkirk in the play offs it will be a third season in the championship and a complete failure by Stubbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.............. and a huge dent in his promising CV.

Bobo
24-02-2016, 09:10 PM
To lose 0-1 would have been unacceptable but a 0-3 reverse is a disgrace, everything poor about our team was patently clear to everyone who witnessed that shambles tonight.

No pace, no threat or creation? Formation was pish, no urgency and precious little talent ..... that was an embarrassment!

lyonhibs
24-02-2016, 09:19 PM
Reality check for the OP. Under no, niente, aucun, keine, zippidy ****ing do dah circumstance should we be losing to Morton 0-3 at home. That's what the majority of anger/disappointment will be about on here tonight.

To hell with how much richer Sevco 2012 are than us.

SherbetFountain
24-02-2016, 09:37 PM
To lose 0-1 would have been unacceptable but a 0-3 reverse is a disgrace, everything poor about our team was patently clear to everyone who witnessed that shambles tonight.

No pace, no threat or creation? Formation was pish, no urgency and precious little talent ..... that was an embarrassment!

Precious little talent? It's the same players who beat Hearts just last week. I'm not sure people would have been making the same claims last Tuesday evening at this time.

Hi Heid Yin
24-02-2016, 10:06 PM
It has been a fantastic effort by our boys this season with the odd blip here and there. Tonight was one of those blips, but a major blip and a real blow to our title chances.
I always felt that The Rangers "firepower" would see them through as 'champions' and nothing to date has really convinced me otherwise. They generally " steamroller" teams and their goals for column says it all.
Stubbs' talks of "twists and turns" here and there but The Rangers can comfortably have a blip as they have room to spare.
Tonight really hurt and exposed (big time) our general inability to score lots of goals and see out games comfortably. Yes, we have mastered those 1-0 games and picked up crucial points in doing so, but boy are those last 10 minutes nerve wracking affairs. Morton have on this occasion benefitted from our malaise in front of the sticks and simply bided their time and picked us off on 3 occasions.
One or two other posters have talked of the pressure now being off and we can focus on cementing 2nd place and a play off slot, but somehow I'm not altogether satisfied with this attitude, more so if it has crept into the heads of our lads in the Hibs dressing room. I'm sure Stubbs would not tolerate this perception being vocalised.
It's a quite bizarre "mixed feelings" type of season. We are heading for a cup final, but my usual excitement and anticipation has been tempered with a sense of "promotion is the over-riding priority"
My greatest fear as we approach the "business-end-of-season" is that our failure in front of goals will cost us in the play-offs. Morton have just demonstrated that in one-off games we can be beaten and beaten comfortably with goals to spare. Our defence has been, ironically, the main reason we have been winning games 1-0, but should our goal shy forwards fail to score during the play-offs the consequences are unthinkable. I have faith in Stubbs in keeping the collective mind-set positive, but that will not prevent mass finger-nail biting as the games and the season unfolds.

MWHIBBIES
24-02-2016, 10:08 PM

No pace, no threat or creation? Formation was pish, no urgency and precious little talent ..... that was an embarrassment!Oh **** off. 1-0 is the same as 3-0, nae points.

Same formation that beat Hearts and St Johnstone but suddenly it is pish? Away you go.

Bobo
24-02-2016, 10:12 PM
Precious little talent? It's the same players who beat Hearts just last week. I'm not sure people would have been making the same claims last Tuesday evening at this time.

None of the players from last week turned up tonight, there was no talent on the pitch and we were horsed, at home, by a piss poor Morton side. That's not a claim it's a fact and a rather embarrassing one at that!

steakbake
24-02-2016, 10:13 PM
Sudden loss of all perspective. I'm disappointed. But this is our first loss at home since August. Let's cut the guys some slack. The response in the next game is critical. Things go wrong there, then yes, I'd be worried at how the season will turn out.

There may yet be twists and turns to come. This team deserves our backing, not a meltdown.

SherbetFountain
24-02-2016, 10:21 PM
None of the players from last week turned up tonight, there was no talent on the pitch and we were horsed, at home, by a piss poor Morton side. That's not a claim it's a fact and a rather embarrassing one at that!

So they've become talentless in a week?

Get to bed, you'll hopefully feel better in the morning.

Dom'sFirstTouch
24-02-2016, 10:27 PM
It certainly was. All about how we respond, some huge games coming up.

I'm interested to see what Stubbs does in terms of tactics/team selection. We've stuck pretty rigidly to the 4-4-2 with a narrow diamond midfield (and it's been very successful), but Morton exposed and exploited some pretty glaring weaknesses in it. Do we just put it down to too many players having an off night or are a few tweaks needed?

broondog
24-02-2016, 10:29 PM
have to agree with much of what is being said here. at no point did I think we were contenders for this league which is much stronger than last year with the huns who have a budget dwarfing anyone including us. Was never going to happen and people shouldnt have got their hopes up so early. Play offs remain our best chance and even if we don't make it through at least 4 extremely tough games I dont think another season in this league would be a disaster.

take the positives, the side stubbs has built has huge potential and is in a cup final ffs. but it is unrealistic to think we will just walk into the SPL again. The bottom line is we are inconsistent and when the time comes to fight for our place I am not convinced we can do it against motherwell or whoever, who will be bang up for it. People need to accept this and look longer term than just this season. the kneejerk reactions on here amaze me really, properly embarrassing at times.

Hermit Crab
24-02-2016, 10:32 PM

Packet of tenna laddie in the post to you. Plenty talent just an off day. Every team has them.

Gerard
24-02-2016, 10:37 PM
The team lost a game tonight. No football team wins every game and why should our team be the exception to this fact. The players worked hard and did their best to win. Morton took their chances and were lucky not to have had penalties awarded against them tonight. This season we still have a chance to win in two cups and be promoted. It is easy to support a team that wins most weeks and wins silverware. In defeat there are things that can be learnt. I have no doubt that the team will learn from this defeat tonight. Judge this team and AS on what they do at its end. I think we will have a very good season:wink:

Glory Lurker
24-02-2016, 10:46 PM
I think a lot of folk are letting off steam tonight because the defeat has finally, in all likelihood, ended our chance of winning the league. The result and performance, pathetic though both were, is not in itself what is winding folk up.

A lot of posters probably took a more realistic view of Hibs' chances over the last few months and so are not getting as steamed up about tonight's result as others. I don't think it's fair for those who are less wound up by the impact of tonight's game to say to those that are venting stuff along the lines of "oh, so we've got rubbish in one game have we?". That's not what folk are saying.

SON OF PADDY
24-02-2016, 11:01 PM

For ****'s sake at least admit ! Morton where not piss poor, they where the better team.

matty_f
24-02-2016, 11:19 PM
Tonight wasn't the 'reality' of the side - the side has shown time and time again how good it is. Tonight was an unusual performance, a break from the norm.

NAE NOOKIE
25-02-2016, 12:16 AM

Since when did we become Barcelona that losing a game becomes an embarrassment? Morton were decent the last time they came to ER and played well tonight .... in terms of the other teams in this league they are a long way from being "piss poor"

In terms of our chance of winning the league that result has probably blown it ... but if you are seriously saying its down to a lack of talent you are clearly taking the piss.

Bobo
25-02-2016, 05:23 AM
Since when did we become Barcelona that losing a game becomes an embarrassment? Morton were decent the last time they came to ER and played well tonight .... in terms of the other teams in this league they are a long way from being "piss poor"

In terms of our chance of winning the league that result has probably blown it ... but if you are seriously saying its down to a lack of talent you are clearly taking the piss.

We obviously have talented players but they never showed any of it last night, collectively they were terrible. Our priority should be to get out of this god awful league and as you rightly say the chances of winning it were all but killed off with that performance.

Winning cups is great if/when we ever achieve it but staying in this league is going to harm the club big time and last nights performance was far from acceptable from the players we have and they should never be losing 0-3 at home to Morton.