PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs on Clyde 1

H18 SFR
23-02-2016, 06:17 PM
Stubbs just on Clyde 1 re the Celtic job, "I want to see out the season at Hibs". Pundits suggesting it's a come and get me...

Diclonius
23-02-2016, 06:27 PM
Ffs.

Ronniekirk
23-02-2016, 06:32 PM
It's a pundits job to create speculation and interest .
If Stubbs says he wants to see out the season then that's good enough for me and The Club should fend off any approaches
But i think if he does nothing more than get us to a cup final and gets us promoted We probably won't be able to hang on to him if the right club comes calling
So let's enjoy the party while it lasts
It's not do long ago that dome folk on here were saying if he didn't get us promotion this season he had to go .

But as Stubbs himself says He hasn't achieved anything yet ,all he has done is put us in a position where we could go on and win the league cup ,and could go on and win promotion ,and could go on and get to the semi final of the Scottish Cup .
He is relishing the job just now and am convinced he would like to move on from us having achieved tangible success .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

matty_f
23-02-2016, 06:33 PM
If Stubbs goes it will be because he's done a good job here. In the grand scheme of things that's how it will always be with managers.

I'd love him to stick around for longer, I hope he takes us up and has at least a season in the top flight to establish us and test himself at that level, but I suspect we'll struggle to hold on to him.

If that's the price we pay for some success though, I'd pay it. I'm totally confident that the club have a process in place so that when Stubbs goes, a Stubbs Mk II will replace him and we'll not skip a beat.

Purple & Green
23-02-2016, 06:35 PM
They really are blethers on Clyde, had the misfortune to listen to them on Saturday. Hugh Keevins came out with the classic "Hibs are known to falter at home" - yes, 15 wins and 2 draws in our last 17 beating 3 Premier sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portyhibernian
23-02-2016, 06:35 PM
I wonder if John Doolan would take the gig if we lost Stubbs? Seems to be enjoying it here.

monktonharp
23-02-2016, 06:36 PM
who are these pundits? speculation, in football terms is very easy , aspecially for lazy barstewards that get paid easy money to make stories. Would they expect Stubbs to say, listen and stop annoying me I have a job and if a better one comes up I wont apply.?

bingo70
23-02-2016, 06:36 PM
Stubbs just on Clyde 1 re the Celtic job, "I want to see out the season at Hibs". Pundits suggesting it's a come and get me...

I think most people will recognise that if we go up and win a trophy then he's going to attract a fair bit of interest in the summer, you'd be naive to think he won't be interested.

As long as we go up then he can go where he wants with my best wishes, I almost include Celtic in that too.

bingo70
23-02-2016, 06:38 PM
If Stubbs goes it will be because he's done a good job here. In the grand scheme of things that's how it will always be with managers.

I'd love him to stick around for longer, I hope he takes us up and has at least a season in the top flight to establish us and test himself at that level, but I suspect we'll struggle to hold on to him.

If that's the price we pay for some success though, I'd pay it. I'm totally confident that the club have a process in place so that when Stubbs goes, a Stubbs Mk II will replace him and we'll not skip a beat.

Within 6 months there'll be threads about "Saint stubbsy" being over rated and various reasons why the new guy is better.

matty_f
23-02-2016, 06:40 PM
Within 6 months there'll be threads about "Saint stubbsy" being over rated and various reasons why the new guy is better.

:faf: It's funny because it's true!

Sir David Gray
I would be very surprised if Stubbs was on Celtic's radar.

I am very happy with how he's done as our manager but he's achieved nothing so far.

GreenArmyyy!
I will be heart-broken the day he leaves. 😥

Booked4Being-Ugly
23-02-2016, 06:53 PM
Stubbs should stay with us until we are promoted at the very least. I think he owes us that much.

The last thing we need are major setbacks in this ****ty division, especially if we fail to win promotion this year!

DH1875
23-02-2016, 07:03 PM
Stubbs should stay with us until we are promoted at the very least. I think he owes us that much.

The last thing we need are major setbacks in this ****ty division, especially if we fail to win promotion this year!

If we fail to win promotion, celtic wont want him.

Thecat23
23-02-2016, 07:04 PM

I am very happy with how he's done as our manager but he's achieved nothing so far.

See I don't really get this "achieved nothing so far" chat.

1. He's built a team from scratch, after just 8 players on Hibs books.

2. He's installed a winning mentality into the players.

3. He's brought in guys like McGinn, Henderson, Dylan etc..

4. He's unbeaten in 5 against that mob.

5. we are in the LC final after defeating top flight teams on the way and not losing a single goal.

It's time folk looked at the bigger picture here and stop the chat that he's achieved nothing just because of where we are. Yes going up is the main aim but he's done a hell of a job so far.

kenny.ff
23-02-2016, 07:06 PM
Not that its related, but i seen stubbs in portobello 2day about 4pm. Was up a ladder replacing a half sill on the window or would have grabbed a quick chat

c31
I think celtic want someone to take them on to better things in Europe, they will want someone with experience in that arena. They have already made an arse of it with the current incumbent and I don't think they will make or be allowed to take a chance again.

3pm

5. we are in the LC final after defeating top flight teams on the way and not losing a single goal.

It's time folk looked at the bigger picture here and stop the chat that he's achieved nothing just because of where we are. Yes going up is the main aim but he's done a hell of a job so far.

5. St Johnstone mate.

Thecat23
23-02-2016, 07:07 PM
5. St Johnstone mate.

Edit.. Meant at ER 😉

BSEJVT
23-02-2016, 07:08 PM
Not that its related, but i seen stubbs in portobello 2day about 4pm. Was up a ladder replacing a half sill on the window or would have grabbed a quick chat

Maybe he's planning to go into the window replacement business?

Sir David Gray
23-02-2016, 07:09 PM

I agree with all of that and those are the reasons why I said previously that I am very happy with the job he's done so far. I genuinely love the guy as he's made going to watch Hibs enjoyable again.

However none of these things will tempt a club like Celtic to go for him, in my opinion.

Thecat23
23-02-2016, 07:09 PM
Maybe he's planning to go onto the window replacement business?

I wouldn't it's a real pane!!

green day
23-02-2016, 07:10 PM

Stubbsy has a part time glazing job? Has anyone told Petrie?

BSEJVT
23-02-2016, 07:10 PM
I wouldn't it's a real pane!!

He would have a bit trouble with sash and case windows.

Thecat23
23-02-2016, 07:12 PM
I agree with all of that and those are the reasons why I said previously that I am very happy with the job he's done so far. I genuinely love the guy as he's made going to watch Hibs enjoyable again.

However none of these things will tempt a club like Celtic to go for him, in my opinion.

Wasn't having a go btw, in case it came across like that just I've heard folk say it and write him off.

I think Stubbs would be the right man for Celtic myself, but not sure they want to take another punt on a coach that hasn't much managerial experience.

If they do though I've no doubt he will do very well there as he knows the club and what the demands are. I just hope Moyes gets it instead.

Thecat23
23-02-2016, 07:13 PM
He would have a bit trouble with sash and case windows.

😁👍🏼

3pm

Good shout mate. If you'd went up the ladder as well, it would have been dangerous. Disappointed in Stubbs doing that when we have a game tomorrow.

Thecat23

Hope not he'd be shattered with this news.

blackpoolhibs
23-02-2016, 07:16 PM

He wants to see the season out, thats very nice of him. :rolleyes:

Sir David Gray
23-02-2016, 07:17 PM
Wasn't having a go btw, in case it came across like that just I've heard folk say it and write him off.

I think Stubbs would be the right man for Celtic myself, but not sure they want to take another punt on a coach that hasn't much managerial experience.

If they do though I've no doubt he will do very well there as he knows the club and what the demands are. I just hope Moyes gets it instead.

No offence taken. :aok:

madabouthibs
23-02-2016, 07:19 PM
I'd have thought Celtic would be looking for a bigger name, and more experience.
Remember Mowbray? These young-ish managers do a fine job at a club like Hibs, where up and coming young players will look up to and respect a guy like Stubbs. Stick a millionaire prima-donna in front of him with an attitude and he might be out of his depth. Stubbsy for me is a man manager, kinda guy that'll gladly stick his arm around you and offer encouragement. The big money players need more of an arse kicker (when needed) with a bit of charisma. Stubbsy is apparently a lovely guy, far too nice for the Celtic managers job.
IMHO :greengrin

hibs0666
23-02-2016, 07:30 PM

Stubbs is a man of many talents apparently. :wink:

I reckon there's every chance that he can fly or walk on water. Or probably both.

Jim44
23-02-2016, 07:30 PM
These pundit bores are trying to stir up Celtic into sacking Deila. There's nothing for their egos in the present situation and they are desperate for change at Parkhead. Stubbs is an obvious and safe pawn to kick around in order to unsettle the natives. When the time comes to look for a new manager, very few of these Celtic minded know-alls will have Stubbs as a front runner. If Stubbs was appointed as manager of Celtic with no tangible credit to his name, and failed to make the grade, they and Lawwell would lose what little credibility they presently have. The next manager of Celtic will be an established figure like Moyes and Stubbs will only get a foot in the door there once he has proved he can go the full distance and then some.

HibsNutter
23-02-2016, 07:44 PM
:faf: It's funny because it's true!

Kinda like Scott Allan..

Jonnyboy
23-02-2016, 08:11 PM

SAo you've actually heard Steve20 then? :greengrin

Ronster117
23-02-2016, 08:18 PM
Why was he up a ladder, could you no have said....ill gie ye a hand stubbsy

Viva_Palmeiras
23-02-2016, 08:32 PM

What was his next line after that?

Viva_Palmeiras
23-02-2016, 08:34 PM
If anyone else like me works or lives in the weedge my guess is they'll likely agree that the only people in Glasgow talking about Stubbs to Celtc is the pundits.

Since90+2
23-02-2016, 08:35 PM

Nonsense.

I heard the interview and he was asked in relation to a John Hartson article today who said he thinks Stubbs should be next Celtic manager , Stubbs said it's flattering but when his team win games it will happen and it's simply the opinion of John Hartson. Said he is fully concentrating on the season with Hibs and that's the only thing he is looking at.

None of this "I want to see the season out with Hibs".

Islington Hibs
23-02-2016, 08:36 PM
I suspect 95% of the Hibs support are right behind Stubbs, and rightly so, even if we win nothing and fail to get promoted. He has created, along with Dempster the most attractive, skilful and respected side side for a long time. He has brought in great players, from a shambles, and not only that they really play for him. He is articulate, sincere and I think he has the potential to be a great manager. If he had failed goodness knows where we would be today. We were heading towards being the new Dundee. He has rekindled the passion in our support and regardless as to what happens I will respect him.

Unfortunately our budget, in UK football terms is about that of a League One side in England. Thank Sky for that, but that is the reality. I would love him to do a Turnbull and be here for a decade. Sadly it isn't like that. The odds are he will head to pastures new - I hope if he does get an offer though it is to England and not Celtic.

One last thought. I can see why he might want to manage Celtic. He did play for them after all. That job may, or may not, be on offer in time. If he chooses to leave for the Championship or League One in England it will be a much tougher gig. Much more money at stake and very competitive leagues with many teams with budgets we can only dream of. Just today the implication is his professional advice to Cummings is stay here , learn your trade, don't take the quick buck. My professional advice to Alan is 'stay here, learn your trade, don't take the quick busk.' You can re-establish Hibernian as a top 4 Scottish club quite easily. Do it then go to an Everton or somewhere you really want to. Mowbery found the grass is not always greener elsewhere.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-02-2016, 08:42 PM
I suspect 95% of the Hibs support are right behind Stubbs, and rightly so, even if we win nothing and fail to get promoted. He has created, along with Dempster the most attractive, skilful and respected side side for a long time. He has brought in great players, from a shambles, and not only that they really play for him. He is articulate, sincere and I think he has the potential to be a great manager. If he had failed goodness knows where we would be today. We were heading towards being the new Dundee. He has rekindled the passion in our support and regardless as to what happens I will respect him.

Unfortunately our budget, in UK football terms is about that of a League One side in England. Thank Sky for that, but that is the reality. I would love him to do a Turnbull and be here for a decade. Sadly it isn't like that. The odds are he will head to pastures new - I hope if he does get an offer though it is to England and not Celtic.

One last thought. I can see why he might want to manage Celtic. He did play for them after all. That job may, or may not, be on offer in time. If he chooses to leave for the Championship or League One in England it will be a much tougher gig. Much more money at stake and very competitive leagues with many teams with budgets we can only dream of. Just today the implication is his professional advice to Cummings is stay here , learn your trade, don't take the quick buck. My professional advice to Alan is 'stay here, learn your trade, don't take the quick busk.' You can re-establish Hibernian as a top 4 Scottish club quite easily. Do it then go to an Everton or somewhere you really want to. Mowbery found the grass is not always greener elsewhere.

Great point re Cummings. I think he's a man with a bit of integrity whilst realistic how can he convince players to sign on if he's a key part of the equation?

Dom'sFirstTouch
23-02-2016, 08:48 PM
Stubbs has done a magnificent job at Hibs so far but I'd be surprised if he was Cetlic's top target based on Alan's work with Hibs in the Championship. Could all change if we do the cup double and get promoted of course. I suppose the case could be made that on achievements Derek McInnes is the outstanding club manager in Scottish football right now, yet doesn't really seem to be linked to jobs as far as I'm aware?

The Harp Awakes
23-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Nonsense.
F
I heard the interview and he was asked in relation to a John Hartson article today who said he thinks Stubbs should be next Celtic manager , Stubbs said it's flattering but when his team win games it will happen and it's simply the opinion of John Hartson. Said he is fully concentrating on the season with Hibs and that's the only thing he is looking at.

Glad to hear it.

HibsNibs
23-02-2016, 08:57 PM
celtc (sic) job is a poisoned chalice. You (rightly) get no credit for domestic success and you get crucified when you inevitably get papped out of Europe. Stubbsy would be daft to take on that creaking dinosaur club and that's one thing he aint.

Auckland Hibs
23-02-2016, 08:58 PM

This.

Brightside
23-02-2016, 09:01 PM
I think its a cert that he will go at end of season...even if we don't go up. But it won't be Celtic. He will go back down south. I also doubt that JD would stay to take the Hibs role on - even though i'd love him to - he will go with Stubbs. Hibs are a stepping stone for anyone in the game. Get used to it.

Bostonhibby
23-02-2016, 09:02 PM

Does the 26 bus still go through Porty? If it does, maybe he was scouting Jordi Cruyff as he should have been able to see upstairs with a decent ladder?

Winston Ingram
23-02-2016, 09:03 PM

This. If he fails to get us up, I'm struggling to see why they'd want him

matty_f
23-02-2016, 09:08 PM
This.

He hasn't achieved 'nothing'. I suppose it's down to an individual's definition of achievement but you would be being really harsh to say that taking Hibs (at any time) to a cup final isn't an achievement in itself. Doing it as a Championship side - with the teams he's beat to get there - is almost unquestionably an achievement.

We were second in a three horse race last season where he had the biggest handicap, and we got to the Scottish Cup semi-final.

How anyone can look at what Stubbs has done, in the context of where we are and the relative limitations he faces, and say he has achieved nothing is, well, mental.

RyeSloan
23-02-2016, 09:17 PM
He hasn't achieved 'nothing'. I suppose it's down to an individual's definition of achievement but you would be being really harsh to say that taking Hibs (at any time) to a cup final isn't an achievement in itself. Doing it as a Championship side - with the teams he's beat to get there - is almost unquestionably an achievement. We were second in a three horse race last season where he had the biggest handicap, and we got to the Scottish Cup semi-final. How anyone can look at what Stubbs has done, in the context of where we are and the relative limitations he faces, and say he has achieved nothing is, well, mental.

Correct he has achieved plenty but I'm sure people mean honours or promotion when the say he hasn't achieved anything...semantics really and neither is wrong.

Sir David Gray
23-02-2016, 09:30 PM
He hasn't achieved 'nothing'. I suppose it's down to an individual's definition of achievement but you would be being really harsh to say that taking Hibs (at any time) to a cup final isn't an achievement in itself. Doing it as a Championship side - with the teams he's beat to get there - is almost unquestionably an achievement.

We were second in a three horse race last season where he had the biggest handicap, and we got to the Scottish Cup semi-final.

How anyone can look at what Stubbs has done, in the context of where we are and the relative limitations he faces, and say he has achieved nothing is, well, mental.

I explained my original post in my reply to Thecat23.

He has achieved nothing in terms of honours, which is something that Celtic will look at when they are looking to appoint their next manager, whenever that may be.

A couple of good seasons in the Scottish Championship won't be enough to secure him the Celtic job, in my opinion.

Sammy7nil
23-02-2016, 09:34 PM
If we fail to win promotion, celtic wont want him.

Correct, and if Celtic do take him how the mighty have fallen :greengrin A manger in his first job in the top league expected to deliver and compete in champs league u r having a laugh :greengrin

WhileTheChief..
23-02-2016, 09:41 PM
On Sportsound Stubbs was talking about how we have just offered Cummings an extended contract.

Not a hint of either of them moving on at the end of the season.

Scotthibs1875
23-02-2016, 09:57 PM
I explained my original post in my reply to Thecat23.

He has achieved nothing in terms of honours, which is something that Celtic will look at when they are looking to appoint their next manager, whenever that may be.

A couple of good seasons in the Scottish Championship won't be enough to secure him the Celtic job, in my opinion.

I agree that Celtic will be looking for a manager with a few cups/league honours, however, they went for Ronny Deila because of his previous record and it seems that he isn't the answer.

Who at the moment with a successful managerial record in terms of honours could Celtic realistically get in?

I'm sure every Hibs supporter is praying Stubbs doesn't leave for Celtic but he has turned this club around completely so I wouldn't be surprised if Celtic do come in for him at the end of the season.

MagicSwirlingShip
23-02-2016, 09:59 PM
Stubbs will go down South a lot faster than he goes to Celtic.

I'm much more worried about a mid level championship side coming in for him. His family are still based down south and that will play a big factor in him moving anywhere.

He won't go this summer anyway....

ALF TUPPER
23-02-2016, 10:08 PM

I've heard this rumour about a mullion times :cb

Michael
23-02-2016, 10:18 PM
There are managers who have done far more that are subject to far less speculation! Captain caveman and McInnes are the first two that come to mind. Anyway, I think Celtic will go for someone experienced. Typically when a managerial appointment fails you opt for an "opposite" type of appointment next.

lord bunberry
23-02-2016, 10:20 PM
The Celtic job is a dead end job, other than Martin O'Neill no other manager has went on to manage in the premiership. Stubbs would be mad to consider going there.

MWHIBBIES
23-02-2016, 10:26 PM
Kinda like Scott Allan..I thought he was massively overrated while he was still here, McGeouch was better last season.

leggeto
23-02-2016, 10:30 PM
Why was he up a ladder, could you no have said....ill gie ye a hand stubbsy

Maybe he was after the tele,you know what they scousers are like ;)

lucky
23-02-2016, 10:33 PM
If Celtic come for Stubbs he'd be mad not to go. If he's successful there then he'll get a move down south. The reality is Celtic will offer him a lot more money and the opportunity to get them into the CL. Clearly Stubbs has an eye for a player and with their increased budget he would do very well there.

monktonharp
23-02-2016, 10:36 PM

The last thing we need are major setbacks in this ****ty division, especially if we fail to win promotion this year!I don't see him owing us anything. he is on record saying that promotion is his gambit, his contract or his deal if I recall. the stage he has taken us to at the moment,is fantastic to say the least.
we need promotion this season, but if that is added to, by winning the League cup while playing in a lower league, what more can be asked? if he gets us up, he's done the job

silverhibee
23-02-2016, 10:47 PM
I wonder if John Doolan would take the gig if we lost Stubbs? Seems to be enjoying it here.

I think if Stubbs was to leave he would want to take his backroom staff with him.

Collins and Kennedy will leave along with the chef in the summer.

silverhibee
23-02-2016, 10:53 PM
I think most people will recognise that if we go up and win a trophy then he's going to attract a fair bit of interest in the summer, you'd be naive to think he won't be interested.

As long as we go up then he can go where he wants with my best wishes, I almost include Celtic in that too.

Agree with you about everything apart from the bit in bold, but you are right, that's where he will end up if we are promoted and a wee cup thrown in for good measure.

Get none of these things and..........

silverhibee
23-02-2016, 10:56 PM

That could change in the summer and how well Hibs do in the league and cup games, and it won't go a miss how good his record is against teams in the top league either.

Col2
23-02-2016, 10:58 PM
It's a win win for me.

Win promotion through the title or play off and win a cup or god forbid two cups (can you imagine?) and we will be in total dreamland, total heaven. This may result in him going but we benefit from back in the big league and some unforgettable memories.

silverhibee
23-02-2016, 11:00 PM

Pity i never seen this post, would have saved me adding what you have said, he will be on Celtcs radar, and don't be surprised if he raids us of a few players if he was to get the gig. :greengrin

silverhibee
23-02-2016, 11:11 PM
I think celtic want someone to take them on to better things in Europe, they will want someone with experience in that arena. They have already made an arse of it with the current incumbent and I don't think they will make or be allowed to take a chance again.

Celtc can forget about Europe, Scottish football is on the decline and the days of Celtc getting a big name manager are long gone.

When was the last one, they seem to get linked with plenty but end up with someone Celtc minded most of the time, Mowbray Lennon, they have tried something different with Delia & Collins and it isn't working, Stubbs is looking like a good candidate if he gets Hibs promoted and he will bring the Celtc fans together like he has done here, all part of the stepping stone for him for a club down South in a few years time if he gets Celtc winning leagues and cups, if he does well in Europe then it's a bonus for his CV.

majorhibs
23-02-2016, 11:15 PM

But not achieved yet! Be all & end all should be promotion! Hell Of a job doesnae make the devil or defensive potter mair popular than the big man upstairs! Results, promotion for me.

Dashing Bob S
24-02-2016, 12:10 AM
Would be a bit of a gamble. He's a young manager and relates well to younger players, getting the best out of them and improving them.

He wouldn't get that time at Celtic, they would expect him to sign seasoned pros with egos, and it would be a completely different environment to work in.

I think a good move for him would be to move to championship side, then perhaps go to Celtic and have a couple of European campaigns (hovering up domestic trophies with their kind of expenditure meaningless on a CV) but I doubt he would need it. Could move into a decent premiership side then.

Hibeesmad
24-02-2016, 12:55 AM
Unless he went to Hearts or Rangers, I would respect him and give him a warm welcome back to Easter Road no matter where he ends up. He will be a premier league manager one day.

TheFamous1875
24-02-2016, 01:47 AM
It's worth bearing in mind that the vast majority of possibly places Stubbs may end up at after us won't have the support or infrastructure that he has here. Our club is tailor-made for Stubbs and his philosophy and attitude, and vice-versa. Celtic for one are not tailor-made for Stubbs. Lawell wouldn't be as helpful as Dempster - more of a hindrance if anything...

Brizo
24-02-2016, 05:53 AM
Keith Jackson on Radio Scotland has been taking every opportunity over the last few weeks to tout Stubbsy for Celtic. No doubt he is touting similar in the odious comic he "writes" for. After his not insignificant part in destabilising Broony and KT a decade ago he obviously sees a perfect opportunity for further mischief making.

Regarding whether Stubbsy stays or goes I think promotions the key. If we go up I think he will want to be the man to take us into the SPL. If we don't go up and he sees parachute payments ending and SPL standard players wanting to move to SPL teams he has got a big decision to make. A third season in the Championship wouldn't look good on his CV.

As for Celtic, I wouldn't be surprised if they have Moyes lined up to replace delia. Moyes is damaged goods particularly after Sociedad. He would however be an experienced safe pair of hands for Celtic. He might feel it less of a come down going there than trying to rebuild his career at English Championship level.

weecounty hibby
24-02-2016, 06:03 AM
There are managers who have done far more that are subject to far less speculation! Captain caveman and McInnes are the first two that come to mind. Anyway, I think Celtic will go for someone experienced. Typically when a managerial appointment fails you opt for an "opposite" type of appointment next.
Been saying this for ages. It's the same with players. Rooney at Aberdeen for example scores a lot of goals in the top division but never seems to get touted for moves but Cummings is being watched by a hutch load of clubs apparently!

Waxy
24-02-2016, 06:17 AM
He shouldnt go to Celtic.What manager couldnt win league with celtic?

Thecat23
24-02-2016, 06:27 AM
But not achieved yet! Be all & end all should be promotion! Hell Of a job doesnae make the devil or defensive potter mair popular than the big man upstairs! Results, promotion for me.

He's already getting results though? Yes going up is number one for me too, but are you just going to ignore everything else he's done? Or do you just judge achieving something based on going up? What if he wins us the LC or even the SC?

Thecat23
24-02-2016, 06:28 AM
SAo you've actually heard Steve20 then? :greengrin

😂

He'll be along soon as we get beat to tell us Stubbs is ***** then head back to Kickback.

Onion
24-02-2016, 06:39 AM
Celtc can forget about Europe, Scottish football is on the decline and the days of Celtc getting a big name manager are long gone.

When was the last one, they seem to get linked with plenty but end up with someone Celtc minded most of the time, Mowbray Lennon, they have tried something different with Delia & Collins and it isn't working, Stubbs is looking like a good candidate if he gets Hibs promoted and he will bring the Celtc fans together like he has done here, all part of the stepping stone for him for a club down South in a few years time if he gets Celtc winning leagues and cups, if he does well in Europe then it's a bonus for his CV.

Completely different challenge. Hibs fans had NO expectations and on a 7 years spiral to Hell when Stubbs took over so any success was bound to win the fans over.

IMO Celtic's model is busted. Been treading water for the last 4 years without Rangers. Winning in Scotland is no achievement for them - just failure if they don't win everything. The Rangers will never be the same club or opposition they once were as Celtic will win the league for the next 10 + seasons and always pull in the CL money keeping them miles ahead of everyone else. Celtic will slip further and further behind European elite in terms of money and status, so any possibility of them winning in Europe has gone. Trying to keep Celtic fans happy will be a near impossible task.

Not In The Know
24-02-2016, 06:57 AM
A couple of things. If we don't get promoted I wouldn't expect a long line of clubs waiting for Stubbs services. Secondly what's he doing blethering away on a local weedgie radio station?

lyonhibs
24-02-2016, 07:01 AM

"The new Dundee"??!! The Dundee currently plying their trade in the top flight??

If we win nothing and fail to get promoted again, it would be completely natural for questions to be asked. I don't think that scenario will come to pass, but let's not get too starry eyed.

AndyM_1875
24-02-2016, 07:21 AM
Keith Jackson on Radio Scotland has been taking every opportunity over the last few weeks to tout Stubbsy for Celtic. No doubt he is touting similar in the odious comic he "writes" for. After his not insignificant part in destabilising Broony and KT a decade ago he obviously sees a perfect opportunity for further mischief making.

Regarding whether Stubbsy stays or goes I think promotions the key. If we go up I think he will want to be the man to take us into the SPL. If we don't go up and he sees parachute payments ending and SPL standard players wanting to move to SPL teams he has got a big decision to make. A third season in the Championship wouldn't look good on his CV.

As for Celtic, I wouldn't be surprised if they have Moyes lined up to replace delia. Moyes is damaged goods particularly after Sociedad. He would however be an experienced safe pair of hands for Celtic. He might feel it less of a come down going there than trying to rebuild his career at English Championship level.

I think come the summer Celtic will move for a new manager but it won't be Stubbs. More likely as you say to be David Moyes. The soapdodgers have been down the road of the inexperienced boss in Delia and it really hasn't worked. Moyes has experience in the Premiership and in Europe and he's available. Celtic have a pot of 30m at stake in CL qualification which Delia has bungled for 2 successive years.
David Moyes is a safe pair of hands. With 30m at stake I just do not see Lawell handing that gamble to an inexperienced manager and another cheap option.

Northernhibee
24-02-2016, 07:26 AM
Celtic are a shadow of what they used to be. Given 2-3 years of constant improvement under Stubbs we can win that league.

blackpoolhibs
24-02-2016, 07:28 AM
Nonsense.

Good to hear that, because he'd have little clout with the players we want to stay or sign for the future if he had.

DH1875
24-02-2016, 07:36 AM
He's already getting results though? Yes going up is number one for me too, but are you just going to ignore everything else he's done? Or do you just judge achieving something based on going up? What if he wins us the LC or even the SC?

It's all what ifs though. Playing devils advocate for a moment, what if RC and ICT both beat us and Falkirk beat us in the playoffs. Would Celtic want him then?

Thecat23
24-02-2016, 07:38 AM
It's all what ifs though. Playing devils advocate for a moment, what if RC and ICT both beat us and Falkirk beat us in the playoffs. Would Celtic want him then?

That's a good question. My answer would be yes! We are a championship club so losing to teams in a league above shouldn't put any clubs off what he's built.

blackpoolhibs
24-02-2016, 07:42 AM
Why would Celtic not want Houston, lets be perfectly honest here. His record on a fraction of what Stubbs has had to spend is on balance much better? If he managed to get Falkirk up, should Chelsea be looking at appointing him?

#Perspective

Golden Bear
24-02-2016, 08:09 AM
And more. We'll need to get used to the speculation, as AS says, it's what happens when results are going well.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/stubbs-speculation-fine-if-it-means-hibs-are-winning-1-4036731

dangermouse
24-02-2016, 08:13 AM
Been saying this for ages. It's the same with players. Rooney at Aberdeen for example scores a lot of goals in the top division but never seems to get touted for moves but Cummings is being watched by a hutch load of clubs apparently!

And using that as an example why is Captain Caveman not being touted for the Celtic job as surely at this moment in time he has achieved more :wink:

Yorkshire HFC
24-02-2016, 08:16 AM
Can't see it - Celtic are looking to progress in the Champions League.

Looking at the cold, hard facts, what has Stubbs done to suggest that he's at that level?

We failed to get up last year and this year is looking like the play offs again - and I'd say that's a 50/50 chance of success.

From a Celtic management point of view, on the face of it, Aberdeen and Hearts seem to be progressing better than Hibs - and other managers have won Cups over the last few years.

I'm not knocking him, just saying that he's yet to deliver.

Let's hope he wins the Cup, gets promotion and then gets us challenging / into Europe for a couple of years - then see what happens.

Craig_in_Prague
24-02-2016, 08:42 AM
And more. We'll need to get used to the speculation, as AS says, it's what happens when results are going well.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/stubbs-speculation-fine-if-it-means-hibs-are-winning-1-4036731

Yep, very fair article!

It's the way it is, for any player or manager.

blackpoolhibs
24-02-2016, 07:38 PM

Maybe he wants to stay? :boo hoo: