PDA

View Full Version : Willie Collum Demoted

Hannah_hfc
23-02-2016, 04:57 PM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/youre-off-blunder-ref-willie-7425629#MPwV8koB0IpLhzaa.97

For those who understandably avoid the Record website:

SFA take action as whistler is demoted to officiate Championship clashes for three games.

EURO 2016 ref*Willie Collum*has been axed from taking charge of top-flight matches by his SFA bosses after a string of high- profile blunders.

Collum was demoted to the Championship at the weekend when he stepped out of the spotlight to officiate Raith Rovers versus Livingston following the furore*over his handling of Aberdeen’s defeat at Inverness Caley Thistle.

But today his demotion has been extended by a further two games in the second tier as his*Hampden bosses*attempt to protect his reputation by keeping him out of the firing line.

Collum faced calls for his head after he was slammed for awarding Caley with a penalty which should not have stood - why failing to spot two blatant spot-kicks at the other end.

Rather than throw him back into the*Premiership*this weekend, Collum has been asked to take charge of Falkirk’s clash at home to promotion rivals Queen of the South.

And then, on March 1, Collum will be back at the bottom end of the Championship for a relegation showdown between stragglers Dumbarton and Alloa.

To be fair I'd say a more suitable punishment would be demotion to even lower leagues!

Just thankful none of these are our games.

I haven't seen much more of this in the news considering the amount of blunders our so - called high profile refs are capable of!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
23-02-2016, 05:06 PM
The goal he gave for Rangers at ER last season should have seen him fired, ****ing terrible referee.

HibbyAndy
23-02-2016, 05:09 PM
The goal he gave for Rangers at ER last season should have seen him fired, ****ing terrible referee.

:agree:

Cheating ****!

HibsNutter
23-02-2016, 05:11 PM

:agree:. Couldn't have had a better view of Hanlon getting wiped out. Incompetent.

emerald green
23-02-2016, 05:21 PM
In most / every job or occupation, if you don't do it properly and /or keep making serious mistakes, then there is a price to pay usually.

We are all human and make mistakes. Being a referee can be challenging, and their job is made harder by the cheating, diving, time wasting and so on which blights our game. That said, Collum has made far too many high profile errors recently and something had to be done.

Just need to get Thomson sorted out now.

malcolm
23-02-2016, 10:15 PM
In most / every job or occupation, if you don't do it properly and /or keep making serious mistakes, then there is a price to pay usually.

We are all human and make mistakes. Being a referee can be challenging, and their job is made harder by the cheating, diving, time wasting and so on which blights our game. That said, Collum has made far too many high profile errors recently and something had to be done.

Just need to get Thomson sorted out now.

The punishment is to foist Collum on us. If he is at best a weak ref then we will not benefit by this punishment and looking to have CT added to the pool of refs for our run in to the end of the season seems a trifle masochistic :wink:

The Harp Awakes
23-02-2016, 10:47 PM
:agree:. Couldn't have had a better view of Hanlon getting wiped out. Incompetent.

Yep, and don't forget that it was so obvious a foul on Hanlon that even the Rangers players stopped in their tracks waiting for the ref to blow the whistle. To me that incident proved he was cheating rather than being incompetent. As you say, he had a perfect view of it.

Boyle89
24-02-2016, 12:11 AM
Have to feel for the teams that will now have him reffing their games.

proud_and_green
24-02-2016, 01:34 AM
This is quite bizarre. If I get this right, the SFA have:

acknowledged he is below the minimum standards
decided to punish him

That 'punishment' is to make him referee games in a lower league than the one he usually officiates in. There is no mention anywhere, although that could just be the reporting, of any attempt to improve his performance. Yet, there is actually no difference in the job that he has to do apart from in terms of the profile of the games, exactly the same skills and knowledge are (or perhaps should be) required to referee games whether they are amateur or European championship - albeit you possibly need a stronger character the higher the level.

If it is that he has succumbed to mental pressures of the game at that level then perhaps a break rather than 'punishment' is required plus some education on how to improve his game.

The inference from this, though, is that games in the Championship do not matter and it is ok to have bad referees in them.

Onion
24-02-2016, 06:04 AM

decided to punish him

That 'punishment' is to make him referee games in a lower league than the one he usually officiates in. There is no mention anywhere, although that could just be the reporting, of any attempt to improve his performance. Yet, there is actually no difference in the job that he has to do apart from in terms of the profile of the games, exactly the same skills and knowledge are (or perhaps should be) required to referee games whether they are amateur or European championship - albeit you possibly need a stronger character the higher the level.

If it is that he has succumbed to mental pressures of the game at that level then perhaps a break rather than 'punishment' is required plus some education on how to improve his game.

The inference from this, though, is that games in the Championship do not matter and it is ok to have bad referees in them.

Or, that he simply replaces a referee in the Championship who is even worse :panic:

lyonhibs
24-02-2016, 07:37 AM

decided to punish him

Your last paragraph sums up my issue with denoting refs to a T.

"Oh Willie, you've had a bit of a ****ter there mate. Not to worry, we'll inflict you on a lower league team because their fans and fortunes dinnae really matter"

Total farce. Fine him, suspend him, roster him off ANY games for a few weeks, replace him with someone competent from say, Malta etc etc.

All far more preferable and meaningful courses of action than the simple "shift the problem on down the leagues for a couple of weeks" attitude.

I hope the fans at those matches from both sides gone it to him tight from the first whistle.

J-C
24-02-2016, 07:57 AM
Oh brilliant, so the Premiership loss is the Championship gain, we don't want him here either. :confused:

GreenArmyyy!
24-02-2016, 10:06 AM
Would never happen to Craig Thomson..... Roaster.

vuefrom1875
24-02-2016, 10:39 AM
Oh dear! And this is the guy who's going to the European championship, if I'm correct, inept, incompetent,out of his depth, stand by for a few howlers this summer!!!

jdships
24-02-2016, 10:41 AM

decided to punish him

That for me is the important part of your post in asmuch as the SFa are now acknowledging there is/are problems with tefereeing standards
I remember back in the 1950's our manager speaking with us after a game where we had been " hard done by" by the Ref.
He said "You have to remember lads that as far as the SFA are concerned there is way that a ref will be openly criticised as they work on the premise that " without a referee we don't have a game "
Now and again we were aware a Referee Supervisor " was in the satnd checking but very seldom anything happened !!

jdships
24-02-2016, 10:43 AM
Oh dear! And this is the guy who's going to the European championship, if I'm correct, inept, incompetent,out of his depth, stand by for a few howlers this summer!!!

We have witnessed the same from " Gorgie" Thomson on European dutry :greengrin

emerald green
24-02-2016, 05:15 PM
The punishment is to foist Collum on us. If he is at best a weak ref then we will not benefit by this punishment and looking to have CT added to the pool of refs for our run in to the end of the season seems a trifle masochistic :wink:

Aye fair enough. I see where you're coming from. I hadn't thought of it in that way TBH.

As far as the pair of them are concerned, I'd demote them to refereeing Sunday pub league football.