PDA

View Full Version : Media Sun article

hibees 7062
22-02-2016, 12:35 PM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/columnists/billleckiesports/6946565/Id-love-to-sing-Hibees-anthem.html

linlithgowhibbie
22-02-2016, 12:42 PM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/columnists/billleckiesports/6946565/Id-love-to-sing-Hibees-anthem.html

Good article only spoiled for me by a scarf saying "The fighting Irish" being held aloft. I don't think its relevant at Easter Rd.

Just a personal opinion, not wanting to start a flag/origins debate.

:gwa:

Thecat23
22-02-2016, 12:47 PM
Boy, what I’d give to be part of a victory song like Sunshine on Leith.

The day 30,000 Hibs fans sang it in a Hampden blizzard after their team had won the 2007 League Cup will stay forever as one of the most spine-tingling moments I’ve known.

And hearing it ring out once more from around Easter Road after their midweek Scottish Cup replay win over Hearts . . . well, the feeling was one of sheer, naked envy.

Yes, to be in among your own lot after you’ve won a trophy and to bawl along to Oh When The Saints is what it’s all about, an experience none of us would trade.

Sure, to be there as Parkhead or Anfield shudder to You’ll Never Walk Alone or in the Nou Camp when Barca’s club song is roared by 90,000 throats is a genuine privilege.

To have an anthem, though, that’s written by two of your own fans about how much they love the very streets where your club lives? That’s something else. That’s proper hairs on the back of the neck stuff.

Apart from anything else, it’s a gorgeous song in its own right. The lyrics, the melody, the plaintive fiddle, the swell each time it reaches the word Sunshine; lovely, just lovely.

It’s a perfect singalong number, one where it doesn’t matter that you don’t have perfect pitch, plastic or otherwise, because you can just get swept along with the mood of it all.

Plus, the verse and chorus are both repeated, so it’s not hard to learn the words. But best of all, in an era where football chants are increasingly negative and aimed at knocking the opposition rather than supporting your own favourites, it’s uplifting, it’s life-affirming. It’s, well, it’s nice.

Your heart was broken, then you met someone who made it all better and now, as long as the sun shines, you’ll thank a higher power for making it happen. Got to be better than Somebody-Somebody’s Two- Coloured Army repeated seven zillion times in a row, hadn’t it?

For me, Sunshine On Leith is the antedote to all the cringeworthy guff that comes out of our stands every matchday, all the sectarianism and politics, all the abuse that seems to have become second nature, even to people who wouldn’t say boo to a goose the other six days of the week.

That freezing cold Sunday at Hampden nine years back, after a vibrant Hibees side led by John Collins had beaten Killie 5-1, is still crystal clear in my mind. Normally, as soon as I’ve sent over a match report on a day like that, the laptop’s in the bag and it’s indoors asap a) to thaw out and b) to do all the post-match interviews.

This time, though, I found myself transfixed by the celebrations as a band of brothers — Scott Brown, Steven Fletcher, Lewis Stevenson, Steven Whittaker and more — walked round the pitch clutching the trophy, picking up scarves and hats tossed by adoring punters, waving to friends and family, thinking life couldn’t really get much better.

Then realising that, yes, it could.

Because just then, the DJ put on Sunshine On Leith. At which point, I only wish newspaper technology allowed me to somehow embed the clip so I could listen to it as I write and you as you read.

Call me over-emotional — and my old mum always did say our family’s eyes were too near our bladders — but it was pretty overwhelming.

And as a neutral, you could only wonder at how great it must have felt to be a proper part of it all.

Last Tuesday night, a new Hibs side — though still containing the immovable object who is Stevenson — got to experience that same wave of love and of song as they went on a lap of honour after dumping their city rivals.

As they looked up into the stands, saw those thousands of scarves held aloft, heard those thousands of voices singing the praises of their club and their community, it must have been something amazing to belong to.

And I surely can’t have been alone in wondering just how astonishing a rendition it might be should they ever play Sunshine On Leith to celebrate Hibs actually winning the Sc . . .

No, I’d better not jinx it.

Let’s just say I’ll hope to still be around if it ever happens.

CallumLaidlaw
22-02-2016, 12:53 PM
Great article and worth sharing with as many Jambos as possible :wink:

Hibby Gav
22-02-2016, 12:55 PM
'and my old mum always did say our family’s eyes were too near our bladders'

I know what she means......I'm always peeling onions when I hear it...

ggtth

hibees 7062
22-02-2016, 01:02 PM

:agree: :thumbsup:

Thecat23
22-02-2016, 01:07 PM
When Hibs do win that cup, I honestly think there will be thousands on the streets of Leith and ER belting this out. It will be something that we will never see the likes again.

Imagine thousands upon thousands around the streets and inside the ground singing this as one. Wouldn't be a Hibs fan with a dry eye.

hibees 7062
22-02-2016, 01:15 PM
When Hibs do win that cup, I honestly think there will be thousands on the streets of Leith and ER belting this out. It will be something that we will never see the likes again.

Imagine thousands upon thousands around the streets and inside the ground singing this as one. Wouldn't be a Hibs fan with a dry eye.

Plenty dry pubs though :greengrin I think it will last a while

Frazerbob
22-02-2016, 01:18 PM
If we ever win THAT bloody cup, I recon the SOL rendition will be crap.....too many folk greeting to get the words out!

22-02-2016, 01:23 PM
30,000 hibees singing it at hampden after the 2007 cup final was one of the greatest moment i've ever experienced as a hibs fan. A song that means so much to so many people and a song thats ours, not just any old song that we've claimed as our own or a song copied by other clubs, but a song that was written by our own.

Very emotional song, I still get a lump in the back of my throat watching the video of us singing it. It's truly an incrediable sight. I have a pals who support other clubs and even they've commented on how good it is when its in full swing.

Thecat23
22-02-2016, 01:28 PM
Plenty dry pubs though :greengrin I think it will last a while

You better believe it 😁

Vini1875
22-02-2016, 01:33 PM
Good article only spoiled for me by a scarf saying "The fighting Irish" being held aloft. I don't think its relevant at Easter Rd.

Thankfully not everyone thinks like you. Broad church blah blah blah

hibees 7062
22-02-2016, 01:36 PM
You better believe it 

My partners already been told not to expect me home for a while :greengrin

CallumLaidlaw
22-02-2016, 01:42 PM
My partners already been told not to expect me home for a while :greengrin

:agree: Plans have already been put in place for the 13th March "just in case". Monday has been taken off, and plans to get the missus to pick my son up back in edinburgh. Will have to wait and see what the proposed plans are for a parade. (disclaimer that I am not presuming we'll win as I think its completely 50/50, just making plans in case we do)

worcesterhibby
22-02-2016, 01:52 PM
who wrote it ?

Just Alf
22-02-2016, 01:55 PM
Bill leckie I think

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

silverhibee
22-02-2016, 01:56 PM

I won't have enough loyalty points, will be streets for me :greengrin

Thecat23
22-02-2016, 02:02 PM
I won't have enough loyalty points, will be streets for me :greengrin

😂😂

Jack Hackett
22-02-2016, 02:04 PM
'and my old mum always did say our family’s eyes were too near our bladders'

I know what she means......I'm always peeling onions when I hear it...

ggtth

I don't even have to hear it...just reading that article brings a lump :agree:

Best.

Anthem.

EVER!

sleeping giant
22-02-2016, 02:05 PM
Nearly greeting reading that :greengrin

Oscar T Grouch
22-02-2016, 02:06 PM
Like someone said above, I think the rendition of SOL after we win the SC will be pretty rubbish, there will be too many people blubbing away tae themselves. I find it even more emotional because, unfortunately I have listened to it at a few good Hibee funerals too, and it will be played at mine when the time comes. We really are lucky to have this as oor song, and I hope to get to sing it at Hampden a few more times in the coming months and years :flag:

Hibby Gav
22-02-2016, 02:17 PM
30,000 hibees singing it at hampden after the 2007 cup final was one of the greatest moment i've ever experienced as a hibs fan. A song that means so much to so many people and a song thats ours, not just any old song that we've claimed as our own or a song copied by other clubs, but a song that was written by our own.

Very emotional song, I still get a lump in the back of my throat watching the video of us singing it. It's truly an incrediable sight. I have a pals who support other clubs and even they've commented on how good it is when its in full swing.

this 100 % !

hibees 7062
22-02-2016, 02:17 PM
who wrote it ?

Bill Leckie

hibees 7062
22-02-2016, 02:20 PM
Like someone said above, I think the rendition of SOL after we win the SC will be pretty rubbish, there will be too many people blubbing away tae themselves. I find it even more emotional because, unfortunately I have listened to it at a few good Hibee funerals too, and it will be played at mine when the time comes. We really are lucky to have this as oor song, and I hope to get to sing it at Hampden a few more times in the coming months and years :flag:

As I said before , the boys should sing it live in the stadium after we win that cup

Future17
22-02-2016, 02:25 PM
who wrote it ?

The Proclaimers. :greengrin

Oscar T Grouch
22-02-2016, 02:26 PM
As I said before , the boys should sing it live in the stadium after we win that cup

Bit unfair on Craig and Charlie, I'm pretty sure they'll be as emotional as the rest of us :wink:

hibee316
22-02-2016, 02:27 PM
who wrote it ?

Pretty sure it was The Proclaimers.

:wink:

brog
22-02-2016, 02:35 PM
I liked the pic of the Hibs guys at Haydock with the Super John McGinn banner, nice one!

CallumLaidlaw
22-02-2016, 02:35 PM
Bit unfair on Craig and Charlie, I'm pretty sure they'll be as emotional as the rest of us :wink:

It must be a very strange/proud feeling standing amongst the Hibs crowd singing that song during one of these magic moments, knowing YOU wrote that song!

hibees 7062
22-02-2016, 02:36 PM

:top marks

hibees 7062
22-02-2016, 02:38 PM

Nae excuse , they're professionals :greengrin

Oscar T Grouch
22-02-2016, 02:52 PM
It must be a very strange/proud feeling standing amongst the Hibs crowd singing that song during one of these magic moments, knowing YOU wrote that song!

:agree: I can't think of any other artist/s that would have had the opportunity.

Oscar T Grouch
22-02-2016, 02:53 PM
Nae excuse , they're professionals :greengrin

:tee hee:

Albanian Hibs
22-02-2016, 03:01 PM
Crying reading that article

22-02-2016, 03:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPXCNwBu_t8

CmoantheHibs
22-02-2016, 03:36 PM
Its our own, written and sung by our own so very special and as such should only be sung on special occasions otherwise it will lose its appeal and uniqueness. As such we should cherish it and be very proud of it. It would be interesting to find out of other teams throughout the World that have similar anthems as I guess we would have a natural affinity towards these teams and vice versa also.

worcesterhibby
22-02-2016, 03:44 PM

:greengrin

Jack Hackett
22-02-2016, 04:08 PM
There is no better anthem in the world, and the less we sing it, the more beautiful it becomes. Personally never agree with Sunshine on Leith being played before kick-off, it's our way of celebrating and no club in the world will ever be able to top it IMO.

Its our own, written and sung by our own so very special and as such should only be sung on special occasions otherwise it will lose its appeal and uniqueness. As such we should cherish it and be very proud of it. It would be interesting to find out of other teams throughout the World that have similar anthems as I guess we would have a natural affinity towards these teams and vice versa also.

:agree:

The saving grace is that it doesn't usually get sung unless the record is played...It's down to you Barrie :wink:

Alex Trager
22-02-2016, 04:33 PM

Waw. That would be insane

NAE NOOKIE
22-02-2016, 05:10 PM

:agree:

Hibernia&Alba
22-02-2016, 05:15 PM

I kind of agree, though perhaps it was an Irish Hibs fan :dunno:

Canon Hannan
22-02-2016, 05:27 PM

Hibernian...............Ireland. Surely you can accept some supporters like Hibs and Ireland? I am disappointed you feel that way.

NAE NOOKIE
22-02-2016, 05:30 PM
Good article :greengrin

Not so good was another one on the same site pointing out how underwhelmed English armchair fans were at Hibs v Alloa being the live game on SKY ..... now don't get me wrong, I found it a bit of a strange game for them to choose myself, but some comments like "amateur football" were a wee bit over the top ..... the guy making the comment didn't say what team he supported, but I hope for his sake it isn't Bournemouth or Everton .... now that was eye bleeding football, I've had more enjoyable trips to the dentist :greengrin

Pete
22-02-2016, 05:32 PM
Agree with those that say we shouldn't overuse it. It's also part of the reason why these new style jambos behave like obsessed childish bullies and try and belittle us at every opportunity. Their origins and culture will never be as interesting as our own and it's plain jealousy regarding our identity.

Leith Green
22-02-2016, 05:40 PM

So does the polish flag at the hibs end of the east stand spoil things too? Absolutly mental that any hibs fan would take offence to that scarf.

Firstly , the guy could be irish.
Secondly , he might not be irish but his family may be.
Thirdly , our club was formed by irish immigrants and our club name literally means people of ireland (does that offend you)

It actually borders on racism against irish people when comments like this are made regarding seeing an irish flag or scarf at easter rd.

anon1875
22-02-2016, 05:41 PM

That's a connor mcgregor quote I believe, probably nothing to do with the IRA.

Hibernia&Alba
22-02-2016, 05:47 PM
So does the polish flag at the hibs end of the east stand spoil things too? Absolutly mental that any hibs fan would take offence to that scarf.

Thirdly , our club was formed by irish immigrants and our club name literally means people of ireland (does that offend you)

It actually borders on racism against irish people when comments like this are made regarding seeing an irish flag or scarf at easter rd.

I think he's just wary of possible misinterpretation, rather than anything else. It's understandable in Scotland, sadly.

Pretty Boy
22-02-2016, 05:47 PM
Bill Leckies a good guy.

Well written piece and 100% spot on.

superfurryhibby
22-02-2016, 05:48 PM

Too late.

More spoiled by being in the Sun surely. Considerably more offensive to any normal person?

FWIW the song should only be used liberally and not trotted out every other week as a matter of course. A song I love, coming from Leith and being a Hibee. It will be played at my funeral and people will be asked to sing it mightily otherwise ah'll be back to haunt them.

Andy74
22-02-2016, 05:51 PM

I'm presuming it is a Notre Dame thing? Though I haven't seen the pic.

Anyway, it's your sort of view that is the problem, not someone who wears something green and white to a Hibs game.

Keith_M
22-02-2016, 06:03 PM
I posted a thread about this at the time but I thought it was worth sharing again.

The Hibees rendition is now even famous in Germany, having had two pages of the best selling football magazine, 11 Freunde, dedicated to it

Here's a wee fotie.....

Thecat23
22-02-2016, 06:05 PM
I posted a thread about this at the time but I thought it was worth sharing again.

The Hibees rendition is now even famous in Germany, having had two pages of the best selling football magazine, 11 Freunde, dedicated to it

Here's a wee fotie.....

That's fantastic. What are they saying about us?

et_hibby
22-02-2016, 06:07 PM
Bill Leckies a good guy.

Well written piece and 100% spot on.

Brilliant article, take a bow Bill

Jack Hackett
22-02-2016, 06:16 PM
That's fantastic. What are they saying about us?

"Jetzt hab'..ich 'ne gansehaut"

Hero76
22-02-2016, 06:18 PM
why cant it be our official anthem ?

Thecat23
22-02-2016, 06:28 PM
"Jetzt hab'..ich 'ne gansehaut"

Always one 😁👍🏼

Jack Hackett
22-02-2016, 06:28 PM
why cant it be our official anthem ?

No reason it can't. Just have to get everyone to agree somehow :dunno:

I think the official anthem is 'Glory, Glory to the Hibees', which I personally think sounds very dated...like it's being sung by a guy in a kilt in a black and white movie. This doesn't, of course, mean we have to stop singing it...before someone starts hauling out a scaffold :greengrin

The same goes even more for the hertz song...makes my ears bleed

Jack Hackett
22-02-2016, 06:29 PM
Always one 

No need to thank me....just doing my bit to help the community :aok:

Thecat23
22-02-2016, 06:30 PM
No need to thank me....just doing my bit to help the community :aok:

Haha, at least someone cares for us!!

Joe6-2
22-02-2016, 06:30 PM
If we ever win THAT bloody cup, I recon the SOL rendition will be crap.....too many folk greeting to get the words out!

This, for sure!

NAE NOOKIE
22-02-2016, 06:31 PM

I don't think its a matter of "taking offence" mate. Its just that a lot of us are happy with 21st century Hibs and don't want to be like 21st century Celtic .... in my 40 years watching Hibs I've never heard of the club or its supporters referred to as "the fighting Irish" .... To be honest it sounds like the title of a bad John Wayne movie. I bet you a million quid he never bought that scarf in the club shop and I'll eat my Hibs hat if anything of that nature ever appears on its shelves.

The reason for that is simple ....... Hibs accept and the clubs fans accept that we are a Scottish football club that was founded in Edinburgh in 1875 by Irish immigrants, what we are not is an Irish football club playing in the Scottish leagues .... Folk that struggle with such a concept have a name ... Celtic supporters. Its not that any Hibs fan has a problem with the clubs history, or any problem acknowledging it for that matter, I've never met a Hibby who does.

I myself am a quarter Irish and am currently the proud owner of the 140th anniversary top with the harp badge on it, which I wear to games. That's a nice wee nod to the clubs origins ..... a scarf with "the fighting Irish" on it to my mind crosses the line between the Scottish football club with Irish roots I want to follow and the Irish club playing in Scotland that our Weegie cousins seem to favour.

That's why scarves like that one tend to annoy a lot of fans .... its a simple difference, but fundamental to how we see the club and what we want it to be.

Hero76
22-02-2016, 06:33 PM

I think the official anthem is 'Glory, Glory to the Hibees', which I personally think sounds very dated...like it's being sung by a guy in a kilt in a black and white movie. This doesn't, of course, mean we have to stop singing it...before someone starts hauling out a scaffold :greengrin

Agree the Hector Nicol one does sound dated plus he wrote the gunts song too.

SOL is defo more fitting of our official anthem.

Jack Hackett
22-02-2016, 06:45 PM

Never knew that....still learning at my age :aok:

Thecat23
22-02-2016, 06:46 PM
Never knew that....still learning at my age :aok:

He was a St Mirren fan I think as well.

Jack Hackett
22-02-2016, 06:54 PM
Hector Nichol's story is quite weird. Wrote and sang club anthems for four Scottish sides (Hibs, Hearts and the Dundee clubs iirc), but actually supported St. Mirren himself. I agree it's a little dated, might slowly be phased out over the decades. I'll always love hearing 'there is a bonnie fitba team at Easter Road they play', though.

He was a St Mirren fan I think as well.

All the more reason for change then. What could be better than an official anthem from one (2) of our own?

Petrie!

malcolm
22-02-2016, 06:56 PM
Hector Nichol's story is quite weird. Wrote and sang club anthems for four Scottish sides (Hibs, Hearts and the Dundee clubs iirc), but actually supported St. Mirren himself. I agree it's a little dated, might slowly be phased out over the decades. I'll always love hearing 'there is a bonnie fitba team at Easter Road they play', though.

A close shave - we could find have got the hippo's mud song as the basis of our song in stead of them :wink:

Andy74
22-02-2016, 07:01 PM
I don't think its a matter of "taking offence" mate. Its just that a lot of us are happy with 21st century Hibs and don't want to be like 21st century Celtic .... in my 40 years watching Hibs I've never heard of the club or its supporters referred to as "the fighting Irish" .... To be honest it sounds like the title of a bad John Wayne movie. I bet you a million quid he never bought that scarf in the club shop and I'll eat my Hibs hat if anything of that nature ever appears on its shelves.

The reason for that is simple ....... Hibs accept and the clubs fans accept that we are a Scottish football club that was founded in Edinburgh in 1875 by Irish immigrants, what we are not is an Irish football club playing in the Scottish leagues .... Folk that struggle with such a concept have a name ... Celtic supporters. Its not that any Hibs fan has a problem with the clubs history, or any problem acknowledging it for that matter, I've never met a Hibby who does.

I myself am a quarter Irish and am currently the proud owner of the 140th anniversary top with the harp badge on it, which I wear to games. That's a nice wee nod to the clubs origins ..... a scarf with "the fighting Irish" on it to my mind crosses the line between the Scottish football club with Irish roots I want to follow and the Irish club playing in Scotland that our Weegie cousins seem to favour.

That's why scarves like that one tend to annoy a lot of fans .... its a simple difference, but fundamental to how we see the club and what we want it to be.

I think you might be missing the fact that the scarf has nothing to do with Celtic or anything like that.

Notre Dame University in the US are known as The Fighting Irish. Now I've seen the pic the logos each side look like the Notre Dame mascot.

Folk like to wear stuff from other sports teams in green and white. This one has the added relate-ability because Irish happens to be our name.

As I said above I think folk that jump on anything Irish (and this is actually American) and relate it to sectarianism are a major part of the problem here.

linlithgowhibbie
22-02-2016, 07:05 PM
Hibernian...............Ireland. Surely you can accept some supporters like Hibs and Ireland? I am disappointed you feel that way.

I was disappointed at "Fighting Irish" didn't say I objected to Irish related scarves, ie green white yellow bar scarves ect.
Perhaps I dont understand what "Fighting Irish" actually means or has to do with Hibs, but not wanting to get an Irish/Scottish debate going, only posting my opinion in my original post.

Andy74
22-02-2016, 07:07 PM
I was disappointed at "Fighting Irish" didn't say I objected to Irish related scarves, ie green white yellow bar scarves ect.
Perhaps I dont understand what "Fighting Irish" actually means or has to do with Hibs, but not wanting to get an Irish/Scottish debate going, only posting my opinion in my original post.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dame_Fighting_Irish

Forthview
22-02-2016, 07:10 PM

Abysmal comment, you should be embarrassed posting that one.
Just a personal opinion.

CockneyRebel
22-02-2016, 07:16 PM
Bill Leckie

Thought quite a lot of this guy in the past - he is a St Mirren supporter and champions the smaller clubs. He went down in my estimation when he did a lazy journo piece attacking the England support staff (during a WC or Euro Championship that Scotland were also in) calling them smug and arrogant for booking hotels for the players after each stage of the tournament right up to the final. He "forgot" to mention that they were provisional bookings and that they had also booked flights home at each stage and he also "forgot" to mention that all the competing countries, including Scotland, do this in all of these tournaments so is every country arrogant? or was this just cheap shot anti English headline garbage? Make up your own minds on this but he burnt all his boats and bridges with me with one stupid, inaccurate, sloppy and un-necessary piece of drivel.

Although I did hear he's good to his mum.

linlithgowhibbie
22-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Just a personal opinion.

Not embarrassed at all, but respect your opinion too!:gwa:

CockneyRebel
22-02-2016, 07:21 PM
Just a personal opinion.

I agree with the OP and I'm not embarrassed one bit (just a personal opinion like).

Kato
22-02-2016, 07:28 PM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dame_Fighting_Irish

It's ironic that the term originates from the 17th-18th when Ireland (all of it) had huge numbers of troops in the British Army. They were so dependable and lauded most generals had no qualms allowing them to sing "their rebel and fenian" songs. (source http://www.amazon.co.uk/Redcoat-The-British-Soldier-Age-Horse-Musket/dp/0006531520 )

These days a scarf is offensive:confused:. As someone else said Hibs are a broad church, not everything connected to Ireland has to be seen as one dimensional. Weird prism Scottish football has made for itself.

Andy74
22-02-2016, 07:28 PM
I agree with the OP and I'm not embarrassed one bit (just a personal opinion like).

Where do you stand on Portland Timbers or Werder Bremen gear?

Fergos
22-02-2016, 07:39 PM

The Proclaimers done a version of Glory Glory, live on a you tube clip from a tour in Australia few years back....it's that kind of version we need now. And on that note....

......GGTTH

hibees 7062
22-02-2016, 07:45 PM
The Proclaimers done a version of Glory Glory, live on a you tube clip from a tour in Australia few years back....it's that kind of version we need now. And on that note....

......GGTTH

https://youtu.be/LgS-W2HGT64

hibees 7062
22-02-2016, 07:48 PM
https://youtu.be/m_y4DXK3BY0

Mrs Hibs

Fergos
22-02-2016, 07:48 PM
https://youtu.be/LgS-W2HGT64

the very one....great if short version.

GGTTH

Phil MaGlass
22-02-2016, 08:33 PM
I would like to know, who the f reads the sun

hibees 7062
22-02-2016, 08:35 PM
I would like to know, who the f reads the sun

Bill Leckie

Phil MaGlass
22-02-2016, 08:37 PM
I would insert smiley but using ipad, not very techno me

hibees 7062
22-02-2016, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=Phil MaGlass;4595729]I would insert smiley but using ipad, not very techno me :greengrin

CallumLaidlaw
22-02-2016, 09:09 PM

The same goes even more for the hertz song...makes my ears bleed

I've always wanted the proclaimers to record a version of GGTTH. Maybe they will if we win the cup [emoji3]

AlbertK86
22-02-2016, 09:11 PM
Best bit about the article is that arrogant Hertz Barsteward Ewan Murray is raging about it on Twitter and has a few other muppets getting themselves worked up about the positive press Hibs are getting

Any YAMS. looking in GIRFUY

Onceinawhile
22-02-2016, 09:13 PM
I've always wanted the proclaimers to record a version of GGTTH. Maybe they will if we win the cup [emoji3]

The current squad should re record hibernian give us a goal.

Not enough cup final songs these days.

LaMotta
22-02-2016, 09:16 PM

Yam Fud and Guardian Journalist Ewan Murray on Twitter claiming Leckie's article is weird. Clearly another bitter puddledrinker struggling to deal with last weeks events!

And very ironic given how weird Murray is himself.

hhibs
22-02-2016, 09:22 PM
Thought quite a lot of this guy in the past - he is a St Mirren supporter and champions the smaller clubs. He went down in my estimation when he did a lazy journo piece attacking the England support staff (during a WC or Euro Championship that Scotland were also in) calling them smug and arrogant for booking hotels for the players after each stage of the tournament right up to the final. He "forgot" to mention that they were provisional bookings and that they had also booked flights home at each stage and he also "forgot" to mention that all the competing countries, including Scotland, do this in all of these tournaments so is every country arrogant? or was this just cheap shot anti English headline garbage? Make up your own minds on this but he burnt all his boats and bridges with me with one stupid, inaccurate, sloppy and un-necessary piece of drivel.

Although I did hear he's good to his mum.

That seems an awful long time to hold a negative opinion or dare I say a grudge against the guy.Maybe we could take an impartial view if your comments had any context or evidence apart from your own words.

Frankly I could have accepted your comments if you had not added your last sentence,really quite strange.IMO

Jonnyboy
22-02-2016, 09:27 PM
Best bit about the article is that arrogant Hertz Barsteward Ewan Murray is raging about it on Twitter and has a few other muppets getting themselves worked up about the positive press Hibs are getting

Do you mean Euan Cameron? Euan Murray does the golf on Sky Sports :greengrin

Edit: Should read the whole thread before posting! Apologies

Hanny
22-02-2016, 09:42 PM
@mrewanmurray "The Village Idiot (Leckie) seems to have devoted an entire football column today to Sunshine on Leith. Weird. And himself. Not weird."

Rather pointless and bitter comment it seems.

Eyrie
22-02-2016, 09:45 PM
@mrewanmurray "The Village Idiot (Leckie) seems to have devoted an entire football column today to Sunshine on Leith. Weird. And himself. Not weird."

But it provides an interesting insight into the blinkered mentality of Ewan Murray.

hhibs
22-02-2016, 10:13 PM
But it provides an interesting insight into the blinkered mentality of Ewan Murray.

Sure does,he is clearly a classless fud.

Carheenlea
22-02-2016, 10:20 PM
Sure does,he is clearly a classless fud.

Is anyone surprised? The guy is your traditional and stereotypical Hearts fan. Exactly the kind of guff you would expect to hear from such people. Journo or not.

Jack Hackett
22-02-2016, 10:20 PM

The seethe is strong with the neighbours. All of those wee pr stunts we've had from queen anne over the last year or so, upstaged by a win and a song. Nobody's looking to them for good news stories now. All that's left over there is a fight to keep a place in the 1st or 2nd qualifying rounds of the europa league.

We're the centre of attention...and it's eating them up

Thecat23
22-02-2016, 10:21 PM

I've dropped him a little tweet myself! 😁

Sir David Gray
22-02-2016, 10:22 PM

I can honestly say that if we ever do win the Scottish Cup, I won't be able to sing Sunshine on Leith. I know for a fact that I will be in floods of tears as soon as I hear the opening couple of bars from the tune.

I don't think I will be alone either.

Jack Hackett
22-02-2016, 10:26 PM
I can honestly say that if we ever do win the Scottish Cup, I won't be able to sing Sunshine on Leith. I know for a fact that I will be in floods of tears as soon as I hear the opening couple of bars from the tune.

I don't think I will be alone either.

You can still sing when you're choked....I managed it in '07

....Gives you a bit of a headache mind.......or was that the pre match bevvy :dunno:

Sir David Gray
22-02-2016, 10:28 PM
You can still sing when you're choked....I managed it in '07

....Gives you a bit of a headache mind.......or was that the pre match bevvy :dunno:

I struggled to sing it in 07 too as that was the first trophy I had ever seen Hibs win so I did get a wee bit emotional at the end.

Winning the Scottish Cup would just take things to a whole new level though. I would be a wreck.

NadeAteMyLunch!
22-02-2016, 10:38 PM
Murray is a bitter wee man likes. Loves banging on about Hearts but don't dare mention anything positive about Hibs [emoji87]

Kato
23-02-2016, 12:27 AM
Murray is yet archetypal hertz guffie.

mjhibby
23-02-2016, 08:29 AM
Have to say it's a cracking article and shows how moved many,many fans of other teams have been by the footage. Only the sad jambos have made their usual infantile comments but I think it's pure jealousy of something quite amazing that they will never have. Makes one so proud of our club and the fans.

CockneyRebel
23-02-2016, 09:19 AM
That seems an awful long time to hold a negative opinion or dare I say a grudge against the guy.Maybe we could take an impartial view if your comments had any context or evidence apart from your own words.

Frankly I could have accepted your comments if you had not added your last sentence,really quite strange.IMO

An attempt to lighten the post that obviously missed the mark with yourself . My comments had context and evidence. All countries follow much the same procedures during competitions (fact) - he did write the article (fact). Bill Leckie chose to single out one country for a cheap (and false) headline (fact). I don't need anyone to be impartial - you either agree with the article or accept that it was bad journalism. The fact that he has written a good many excellent articles does not excuse this one (IMO it makes it harder to understand).

Or do you think I made it all up?

LustForLeith
23-02-2016, 09:31 AM
The current squad should re record hibernian give us a goal.

Not enough cup final songs these days.

I agree. Love the vidies with players in recording booths in front of microphones, one headphone being held to their ear while the other is near the back of their head.

All of them looking embarresed too.

JeMeSouviens
23-02-2016, 09:31 AM
An attempt to lighten the post that obviously missed the mark with yourself . My comments had context and evidence. All countries follow much the same procedures during competitions (fact) - he did write the article (fact). Bill Leckie chose to single out one country for a cheap (and false) headline (fact). I don't need anyone to be impartial - you either agree with the article or accept that it was bad journalism. The fact that he has written a good many excellent articles does not excuse this one (IMO it makes it harder to understand).

Or do you think I made it all up?

I don't. He can write well from the perspective of the ordinary Scottish fan when he puts his mind to it, but he is certainly not averse to writing all sorts of pish when playing to the gallery. Exhibit B - one of the worst pieces of succulent lamb cringe to ever see the light of day:

All I can say is, massive respect is due to Rangers - and Muz in particular - for keeping Brian Laudrup in the game.

And before all you Celtic fans - including the one standing over me with a
rolling pin as I write this - start giving it the there-ye-go-ah-always-
knew-he-was-wanna-them paranoia, remember one thing.

Rangers also beat you when Laudrup WASN'T playing.

This time last week I was all set to write a piece on how they had finally,
eventually, taken the leap forward they've threatened for so long; but then
the news broke that their greatest asset was leaving.

Suddenly all the summer's advances - the arrival of a foreign coach, the
signing of Thern and two top-drawer defenders, the Defenders lost their
sheen.

You wondered just what a downer there would be on the day their Great Dane
went walkies for good.

A couple of seasons ago, last summer even, you wouldn't have bet tuppence on

Muz being able to talk the boy round. But something has happened at Ibrox,
something you can't put your finger on, which seems to have propelled them
into a different orbit.

And so, as Ajax sat back waiting with a spacecake and an Oranjeboom and
Fergie came out gloating that the player was his, Muz quietly got down to
the business of making Laudrup stay.

Were I a Celtic man, I would be so afraid. No manager, no sign of a manager,
two biggest names threatening to do a bunk, no sign of new blood, season
ticket holders in a major huff.

Call me picky, but things do not look good. And hell mend them.
I cannot believe how quickly and how far Fergus McCann has allowed things to
slip, especially after Tommy Burns took them so close.

It is easy to say now that Burns was a failure, but what is nearer to the
truth is that he was a very good manager with the wrong club.

The closer he got to toppling Rangers, the more his emotional attachment to
Celtic overtook the rational thinking his job required.

Others would disagree, but I reckon Burns will go on to be a huge success
elsewhere, starting in King Kenny's bootroom at the Toon.

What is not up for argument, though, is that Celtic are in a far worse state
without him than they were with him. Rangers are leaving them further and
further behind with every passing day and there is no white smoke from the
Parkhead chimney to signal a comeback.

The Ibrox men are, I reckon, one more signing away from finally leaving
their greatest rivals - and, therefore, the rest of us - so far behind them
they will be no more than a dancing dot on the horizon.

Who is that signing? I'd go for Batistuta - though Muz says no - but whoever
they end up with he will be big time and he will be here soon.

It's enough to make any Celtic fan hide behind the couch. Sorry? Oh, you
already are.

23-02-2016, 11:42 AM

Bitter and as the yams say over on keekback "seething". Put your dummy back in ya classless hearts tit.

Scouse Hibee
23-02-2016, 11:58 AM

Borders on racism! Behave yourself no it doesn't.

southsider
23-02-2016, 02:17 PM
Brilliant piece by Bill Leckie, however in the same paper, on the same day a Hertz apologist by the name of Martin Guisner (sp ?) spoke about his appreciation of SOL but had a dig with some rubbish re Rabbie Burns and 1902. They just cant help themselves can they ? Anyway Martin what are you doing on Cup Final day ? Looking for a new cardigan perhaps

Jack Hackett
23-02-2016, 02:20 PM
Brilliant piece by Bill Leckie, however in the same paper, on the same day a Hertz apologist by the name of Martin Guisner (sp ?) spoke about his appreciation of SOL but had a dig with some rubbish re Rabbie Burns and 1902. They just cant help themselves can they ? Anyway Martin what are you doing on Cup Final day ? Looking for a new cardigan perhaps

Matalan's going to be well busy that day :greengrin

hibsmad
23-02-2016, 02:45 PM
SOL is getting some really good press and rightly so.

Isn't it strange that the only negative comments seem to come from Hearts fans? I'm sure if the article is weird, or if the latest rendition of SOL was not as impressive as is being made out, that there would be plenty of people mentioning that this is the case.

As it is, it is only Hearts fans with this opinion.

Bitter? Jealous?

I think we all know the answer to this. They are probably best ignored.

Kato
23-02-2016, 03:08 PM

Not as much of a roaster as some but a definite fandan.

NAE NOOKIE
23-02-2016, 04:13 PM
I think you might be missing the fact that the scarf has nothing to do with Celtic or anything like that.

Notre Dame University in the US are known as The Fighting Irish. Now I've seen the pic the logos each side look like the Notre Dame mascot.

Folk like to wear stuff from other sports teams in green and white. This one has the added relate-ability because Irish happens to be our name.

As I said above I think folk that jump on anything Irish (and this is actually American) and relate it to sectarianism are a major part of the problem here.

I never said the scarf as such had anything to do with Celtic ...... perhaps you should re read my post and see the context in which Celtic were mentioned.

This has nothing to do with sectarianism and nobody ( apart from you ) was suggesting it does. Its got to do with identity ..... I want to support a Scottish football club because I'm Scottish and I don't want Hibs fans ending up with the plastic paddies tag ...... The clubs history is perfectly represented in its name, badge and colours and that's good enough for me.

As for the Notre Dame angle, hey perhaps the guy holding it went there or has some affiliation to the place ..... but I seriously doubt it.

Kato
23-02-2016, 04:46 PM
I want to support a Scottish football club because I'm Scottish and I don't want Hibs fans ending up with the plastic paddies tag ...... The clubs history is perfectly represented in its name, badge and colours and that's good enough for me.

WHat about other people who might see things quite as you want?

Leith Green
23-02-2016, 04:48 PM
Borders on racism! Behave yourself no it doesn't.

Of course it is ... If i start banging on about the english and not wanting to see people wearing anything to do with them because i dont feel its right then its bordering on racism and im pretty sure ud have plenty to say on the matter. Im sick of hearing people come out with ***** like the o.p has, its anti irish and if it was against any other country ie the poles or pakistanis or english then people would be up in arms.. Its racist and or bigoted simple as that ..

NAE NOOKIE
23-02-2016, 04:49 PM
WHat about other people who might see things quite as you want?

Entitled to their opinion mate.

Andy74
23-02-2016, 04:56 PM
I never said the scarf as such had anything to do with Celtic ...... perhaps you should re read my post and see the context in which Celtic were mentioned.

This has nothing to do with sectarianism and nobody ( apart from you ) was suggesting it does. Its got to do with identity ..... I want to support a Scottish football club because I'm Scottish and I don't want Hibs fans ending up with the plastic paddies tag ...... The clubs history is perfectly represented in its name, badge and colours and that's good enough for me.

As for the Notre Dame angle, hey perhaps the guy holding it went there or has some affiliation to the place ..... but I seriously doubt it.

None of that makes sense unless you are making a link to sectarianism. Which you are whether you believe so or not.

There's lots of gear on that pic that has nothing to do with Hibs. I haven't worn Hibs colours for years. Should I be concerned with the identity I am showing?

This wouldn't have been an issue if it was a green scarf from any other sports team. It's only an issue for some of you due to the Irish reference and the wording in your protestations above just illustrate that even more.

NAE NOOKIE
23-02-2016, 06:01 PM
None of that makes sense unless you are making a link to sectarianism. Which you are whether you believe so or not.

There's lots of gear on that pic that has nothing to do with Hibs. I haven't worn Hibs colours for years. Should I be concerned with the identity I am showing?

This wouldn't have been an issue if it was a green scarf from any other sports team. It's only an issue for some of you due to the Irish reference and the wording in your protestations above just illustrate that even more.

A load of presumption and putting context into my post that isn't there and isn't intended .... sectarianism is commonly ( and certainly in this context ) a religious division ... I have not once suggested that this is what this is about, and you saying it is does not make it so. In fact if anything it seems to me that you are the one who wants to make this a sectarian debate / issue.

As far as I'm concerned religion of any denomination or sect has no place in modern football culture ..... apart from to acknowledge its place in the history of the game, which is littered with clubs whose roots are related to churches and church groups.

Of course this wouldn't be an issue if it was a Werder Bremen or Plymouth Argyll scarf for example ..... of course its the wording that's the issue. I don't want to support a German club or an English club playing in the Scottish league either, and if that was on the cards I would complain about that too.

Hibs are not 'the fighting Irish' ... 'the Bhoys' .... the Lhads .... or anything else. When we eventually get back into Europe I don't want fans of teams we play to be confused about our identity as a Scottish club, as they must be when they play Celtic. That's the beginning and end of my issue here.

lapsedhibee
23-02-2016, 07:42 PM
I don't want to support a German club or an English club playing in the Scottish league either, and if that was on the cards I would complain about that too.

I guess the 'English' club you allude to is The Rangers - is the 'German' club Hertz?

23-02-2016, 07:52 PM
SOL is getting some really good press and rightly so.

Isn't it strange that the only negative comments seem to come from Hearts fans? I'm sure if the article is weird, or if the latest rendition of SOL was not as impressive as is being made out, that there would be plenty of people mentioning that this is the case.

As it is, it is only Hearts fans with this opinion.

Bitter? Jealous?

I think we all know the answer to this. They are probably best ignored.

Yep very strange that . . .

The Harp Awakes
23-02-2016, 09:32 PM

:hijack:

Pretty sad that a thread highlighting a very positive article about Hibs has been hijacked by a comment about a scarf one individual is wearing in the article's photograph. I really do wonder sometimes what Irish Hibs supporters think of these type of comments which pop up from our own supporters all too often.

Scouse Hibee
23-02-2016, 09:43 PM
Of course it is ... If i start banging on about the english and not wanting to see people wearing anything to do with them because i dont feel its right then its bordering on racism and im pretty sure ud have plenty to say on the matter. Im sick of hearing people come out with ***** like the o.p has, its anti irish and if it was against any other country ie the poles or pakistanis or english then people would be up in arms.. Its racist and or bigoted simple as that ..

Bull******

monktonharp
23-02-2016, 11:07 PM
:hijack:

Pretty sad that a thread highlighting a very positive article about Hibs has been hijacked by a comment about a scarf one individual is wearing in the article's photograph. I really do wonder sometimes what Irish Hibs supporters think of these type of comments which pop up from our own supporters all too often.:agree:cheap jibe, which surprised me. we have friends coming over for the final, and they've been very supportive of Hibs over the years, not only for finals etc