PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs - Learning All The Time

Dashing Bob S
22-02-2016, 01:17 AM
You don't need to show this guy anything twice. Against Livingston and Hearts he played the strongest side but we only managed one goal against inferior opposition, dropping two points in the League and having to defend to close out a cup match as we were running on empty.

Against Alloa he took a different approach and utilized the pool. As a result we were refreshed and dangerous.

I think this guy will go far in football management and we're lucky to have him.

monktonharp
22-02-2016, 02:15 AM
his refreshment meant we could easily have scored six and it was refreshing to see

KWJ
22-02-2016, 03:27 AM
Agree with you but Livi put up a much sterner test than this Alloa side did and with difficult conditions. I wouldn't be sure that today's team would have got the 3 at the Macaroni arena either.

But yeah, Stubbs seems to be constantly improving.

Hope Leeann has a few future Stubbs' lined up for once he takes his big move.

iwasthere1972
22-02-2016, 03:43 AM
From what I've witnessed since we dropped into the Championship is that Alloa (god knows how they managed to hold The Rangers to a draw last week) are one of the weakest teams in this division. Three goals today could have easily been seven or eight if we had been more clinical. Apart from a couple of attacks on our goal, Oxley had virtually nothing to do for the entire ninety minutes.

This was the ideal game to rest a few key players and give Carmichael etc a bit of match time. If things hadn't worked out in the first half then I'm sure that Cummings and Stokes would have been off the bench and called into action. It just shows what a strong squad he has put together in the relatively short time that he has been with us.

Eight points behind The Rangers but with a game in hand isn't the mountain to climb that some folk might think. They were pretty lucky to escape from Dumfries with all three points. Kenny Miller's goal was a bit hit and hope and was very fortunate to end up in the back of the net. The look on his face proves that. A goal nevertheless.

A comfortable win yesterday and Wednesday to look forward to.

SeanWilson
22-02-2016, 08:35 AM
Agree with you but Livi put up a much sterner test than this Alloa side did and with difficult conditions. I wouldn't be sure that today's team would have got the 3 at the Macaroni arena either.

But yeah, Stubbs seems to be constantly improving.

Hope Leeann has a few future Stubbs' lined up for once he takes his big move.

If we played with two wingers and two strikers at the 'Toni macaroni 😂) we'd have won!

The_Sauz
22-02-2016, 06:28 PM
The snow/ice on the pitch did not help us :agree: The conditions were more for a "HOOF" ball team, than a team that like to play on the deck!

CockneyRebel
22-02-2016, 07:34 PM
From what I've witnessed since we dropped into the Championship is that Alloa (god knows how they managed to hold The Rangers to a draw last week) are one of the weakest teams in this division. Three goals today could have easily been seven or eight if we had been more clinical. Apart from a couple of attacks on our goal, Oxley had virtually nothing to do for the entire ninety minutes.

This was the ideal game to rest a few key players and give Carmichael etc a bit of match time. If things hadn't worked out in the first half then I'm sure that Cummings and Stokes would have been off the bench and called into action. It just shows what a strong squad he has put together in the relatively short time that he has been with us.

Eight points behind The Rangers but with a game in hand isn't the mountain to climb that some folk might think. They were pretty lucky to escape from Dumfries with all three points. Kenny Miller's goal was a bit hit and hope and was very fortunate to end up in the back of the net. The look on his face proves that. A goal nevertheless.

A comfortable win yesterday and Wednesday to look forward to.

Did anyone else notice that Stokes did not come out for the half time warm up with the other subs?

eastterrace
22-02-2016, 07:43 PM
Did anyone else notice that Stokes did not come out for the half time warm up with the other subs? he did eventually come out roughly when oxley came ou

lyonhibs
22-02-2016, 08:37 PM
The snow/ice on the pitch did not help us :agree: The conditions were more for a "HOOF" ball team, than a team that like to play on the deck!

Realistically, for as long as winter football in Scotland remains a reality, we need to be capable of adapting to those conditions to win games without getting too precious about our supposed cultural aversion to mixing it up when it's called for.

Rangers would most likely have scraped a horrible 1-0 Victory at Almondvale under those conditions.

All water under the bridge now, but we could really do without the lottery of playoffs at the end of the season IMO.

Annasam
22-02-2016, 08:43 PM
Realistically, for as long as winter football in Scotland remains a reality, we need to be capable of adapting to those conditions to win games without getting too precious about our supposed cultural aversion to mixing it up when it's called for.

Rangers would most likely have scraped a horrible 1-0 Victory at Almondvale under those conditions.

All water under the bridge now, but we could really do without the lottery of playoffs at the end of the season IMO.

mind you, Stubbs should learn to change the fluorescent yellow jacket he wears at matches

Andy74
22-02-2016, 09:24 PM

Livingston passed it pretty well.

Lewis Stevenson said conditions were fine once the game started.

We just didn't play well.

dp00
22-02-2016, 09:58 PM
Did anyone else notice that Stokes did not come out for the half time warm up with the other subs?

Think stokes & Cummings both knew that they weren't getting a game unless we were losing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlbertK86
22-02-2016, 10:31 PM
Realistically, for as long as winter football in Scotland remains a reality, we need to be capable of adapting to those conditions to win games without getting too precious about our supposed cultural aversion to mixing it up when it's called for. Rangers would most likely have scraped a horrible 1-0 Victory at Almondvale under those conditions. All water under the bridge now, but we could really do without the lottery of playoffs at the end of the season IMO.

Rangers drew with Alloa the same day so not sure how they would have won 1-0 at Livi

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2016, 10:36 PM
Think stokes & Cummings both knew that they weren't getting a game unless we were losing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looked that way - neither warmed up in the 2nd half. Game was done by then.