PDA

View Full Version : Axe The Act

Since1875Hibs
21-02-2016, 03:39 PM
ACTION AGAINST THE ACT

This weekend, in grounds all over Scotland, fans are united in protest against the Offensive Behaviour Act. We have now been harassed, intimidated, filmed, followed, demonised and criminalised for four years and we have had enough.

We will be mounting protests at future games and future venues and we will continue to fight this Act until the Scottish Government listen to us. We call on our clubs and the footballing authorities to back us in this campaign before the Government and the police destroy our game.

Fans Not Criminals​

Axe the Act

BH Hibs
21-02-2016, 03:41 PM
Unless you are a home supporter at Ibrox then it's anything goes.

Keith_M
21-02-2016, 03:45 PM
The Act was brought in because of criminal behaviour at Football Matches.

How do you propose tackling this, e.g. sectarianism at football matches?

Beefster
21-02-2016, 03:49 PM

Just because a law was passed for a specific purpose doesn't make it the right thing to do. As far as I know, the existing laws were perfectly sufficient for the authorities to take action against sectarianism, racism, homophobia and general fuddery. The act in question was so that the Scottish Government could be seen to be doing something (anything).

Michael
21-02-2016, 03:51 PM
We have now been harassed, intimidated, filmed, followed, demonised and criminalised for four years and we have had enough.

What's this about? :confused:

Islington Hibs
21-02-2016, 03:52 PM

One is supposed to be innocent before proven guilty. Firming people and generally treating them as second class citizens is not the way to do it. 95% of football fans are decent people - the approach is far too heavy handed ans smacks of Government control.

Eyrie
21-02-2016, 04:00 PM
Just because a law was passed for a specific purpose doesn't make it the right thing to do. As far as I know, the existing laws were perfectly sufficient for the authorities to take action against sectarianism, racism, homophobia and general fuddery. The act in question was so that the Scottish Government could be seen to be doing something (anything).
So it won't make any difference if the act is axed or left on the statute books. The problem is that the legislation to deal with bigots and morons is simply not being used.

Of course, it doesn't help that the football clubs refuse to approve any sanctions on those clubs whose fans repeatedly break the law.

One is supposed to be innocent before proven guilty. Firming people and generally treating them as second class citizens is not the way to do it. 95% of football fans are decent people - the approach is far too heavy handed ans smacks of Government control.
It's like speed cameras and city centre CCTV then.

matty_f
21-02-2016, 04:08 PM
There was a woman being denied access to the West for having hairspray in her handbag. I found that ridiculously officious.

bingo70
21-02-2016, 04:13 PM
There was a woman being denied access to the West for having hairspray in her handbag. I found that ridiculously officious.

I agree, it's a ***** film but banning someone from Easter road for having a copy of it is harsh.

As for the op I'm amazed anyone's got the time or the inclination to go to such efforts to complain about such things.

None of the things mentioned has ever happened to me.

lucky
21-02-2016, 04:15 PM
The act is an unnecessary piece of legislation. The criminalisation of football fans is Scotland is ridiculous. There is more trouble at games in England than here but they've not see fit to introduce draconian laws. It was HSL chair Kenny MacAskill who introduced it

Malongoals
21-02-2016, 04:40 PM
The Act criminalises football fans, it was implemented to make it seem that the government was doing something about the problem of sectarianism in Scottish football.

"Offence" is completely subjective, but the government do not care about the vague wording of the Act, nor do the police. They're able to arrest more and more football fans, making their budgets seem worthwhile (despite the ridiculously low conviction rate produced).

Every opposition party in Holyrood opposes it and wants to see it repealed, it is nothing short of vanity legislation. If you consider yourself someone who cares about the infringement of civil liberties, then I would suggest checking out this website and educating yourself, rather than making ridiculous comments about 'people who have got nothing to hide should have no problem with it'.

http://fansagainstcriminalisation.com/

Since1875Hibs
21-02-2016, 04:51 PM
What's this about? :confused:

Dawn raids, visits at your work and intimated infront of your family and children.

Frazerbob
21-02-2016, 04:52 PM
If you don't intend to commit a crime at the football, what's the problem?

HoboHarry
21-02-2016, 04:55 PM
Dawn raids, visits at your work and intimated infront of your family and children.
Involving you? Why would the Police do that to you?

Malongoals
21-02-2016, 04:59 PM

Two young Hamilton fans were recently arrested under the Act for singing "Well, Well f*** yer Well" at Motherwell fans in the Lanarkshire Derby.

Is that a crime?

Since1875Hibs
21-02-2016, 04:59 PM
Involving you? Why would the Police do that to you?

It's a question I'd like answered - it feels like to justify the existence of the act and the FoCUS unit.

leggeto
21-02-2016, 05:00 PM
If you behave at the games,what's there to worry about

bingo70
21-02-2016, 05:02 PM
Two young Hamilton fans were recently arrested under the Act for singing "Well, Well f*** yer Well" at Motherwell fans in the Lanarkshire Derby.

Is that a crime?

I'm fairly sceptical that that's all they were up to.

Malongoals
21-02-2016, 05:03 PM
People seem to misunderstand this. The whole point is that 'offensive behaviour' is completely subjective, what is offensive to one person maybe completely inoffensive to another.

Some people have been arrested under the OBAF Act simply for swearing, it's vague and deliberately so, allowing for the police to justify their budgets/existence at football grounds

Aldo
21-02-2016, 05:04 PM

If someone wants to act in an offensive/aggressive and abusive manner then their is every likely hood you'll be identified and will get a visit in due course.

So if you act like that you can definitely expect some sort of recourse or indeed visit. As for being intimidated I can bet the behaviour of the person being visited was more intimidating than a knock at the door.

In a word (or 4 or 5) just behave and act responsibly!

leggeto
21-02-2016, 05:04 PM
The polis were lifting folk for no reason well before this has come out

Thecat23
21-02-2016, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure what the whole problem is. If someone has committed a crime at a game (like the guy who threw boiling water over Henderson) then you should be expecting a visit from the police if identified.

If you are going to a game and supporting Hibs and not causing bother then you shouldn't have an issue. The police at Ibrox can be heavy handed granted. But if you are acting like an idiot and causing bother at football I'm glad something is being done to stop it.

If I've missed the point here then I apologise.

Aldo
21-02-2016, 05:07 PM
It's a question I'd like answered - it feels like to justify the existence of the act and the FoCUS unit.

Is the units job not to identify those who act in an irresponsible manner and deal with them accordingly??

Since1875Hibs
21-02-2016, 05:10 PM
Is the units job not to identify those who act in an irresponsible manner and deal with them accordingly??

Very few have been charged under the act despite the large number of arrests and accusations. From a personal point of view, it's disrupted my family and resulted in sanctions at work. Even a not guilty verdict leaves its mark on your life.

Malongoals
21-02-2016, 05:11 PM
Nobody disagrees that if you commit a crime in a football ground, you should be dealt with by the police exactly the same as you would be outside the ground.

The problem is this: the Scottish government has made 'offensive behaviour' within the environment of a football ground an offence.

This targets specifically football fans, to the extent where you can commit an act of 'offensive behaviour' on a street corner and face no punishment, but not inside a football ground. Music fans, for example, face far less scrutiny from the police, despite the fact that they are involved in a far higher proportion of alcohol-related crime and anti-social behaviour.

Also understand that there was existing legislation to deal with racist, sectarian and homophobic behaviour, the Act is unnecessary and was hurriedly passed through Holyrood after the Old Firm 'shame game' so that the SNP could appear to be doing something to tackle the problem.

lucky
21-02-2016, 05:12 PM
This act criminalises fans for minor things like swearing or singing. No one is saying that thugs should not be dealt with but this act is so subjective that ordinary fans can be lifted and charged for next to nothing.

Aldo
21-02-2016, 05:14 PM
People seem to misunderstand this. The whole point is that 'offensive behaviour' is completely subjective, what is offensive to one person maybe completely inoffensive to another. Some people have been arrested under the OBAF Act simply for swearing, it's vague and deliberately so, allowing for the police to justify their budgets/existence at football grounds

That's it. People take offence to different things so it shouldn't be a like it or lump it situation.

As for existence at football grounds you'll find that most matches don't have a police presence in the ground which means they are police free.

Aldo
21-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Very few have been charged under the act despite the large number of arrests and accusations. From a personal point of view, it's disrupted my family and resulted in sanctions at work. Even a not guilty verdict leaves its mark on your life.

Don't put yourself in the position then. It's simple as that!

Keith_M
21-02-2016, 05:29 PM

That was happening long before this specific piece of legislation was brought into force, as were searches for alcohol or items that could be used as missiles (in reference to the earlier comment about hairspray)

Removing this legislation will not make much difference to any of that and will not tackle sectarianism or violence at football

andyf5
21-02-2016, 05:29 PM
ACTION AGAINST THE ACT

This weekend, in grounds all over Scotland, fans are united in protest against the Offensive Behaviour Act. We have now been harassed, intimidated, filmed, followed, demonised and criminalised for four years and we have had enough.

We will be mounting protests at future games and future venues and we will continue to fight this Act until the Scottish Government listen to us. We call on our clubs and the footballing authorities to back us in this campaign before the Government and the police destroy our game.

Fans Not Criminals​

Axe the Act

I have read the FAC site but it appears to be a Celtic fans site and says so. I'm not sure if this is related to the facial recognition banner from Tynecastle. I am in favour of fans who throw things being identified - I was at Ibrox and it seemed the police and stewards were too frightened to do anything about the behaviour. I'm not in favour of blanket surveillance of the population. Please give examples of hibs fans who have been "harassed, intimidated, filmed, followed, demonised and criminalised"

Since1875Hibs
21-02-2016, 05:39 PM

What, not support my team?

HoboHarry
21-02-2016, 05:42 PM
You know perfectly well what he meant and quite frankly your posts are leaving me with the distinct impression that you are hiding a fair amount of information regarding your overall involvement in this.....

Since1875Hibs
21-02-2016, 05:51 PM
You know perfectly well what he meant and quite frankly your posts are leaving me with the distinct impression that you are hiding a fair amount of information regarding your overall involvement in this.....

Absolutely nothing to hide, and there's several posters on here that know me well personally and will vouch for this.

BoomtownHibees
21-02-2016, 05:56 PM
Absolutely nothing to hide, and there's several posters on here that know me well personally and will vouch for this.

Why not share what you were accused of and the outcome of that accusation and let everyone make their own mind up either way?

Frazerbob
21-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Fans have been getting arrested at the football for very little for years. 20 years ago I spent a night in Govan cells for swearing at Ibrox, nothing more. I may also add that football fans have also been getting away with behaviour that if happening on the high street on a Saturday night would see you arrested. Often the police don't make arrests due to the bigger picture of public disorder.......see every Celtic and Rangers game. Maybe these new initiatives will help them make arrests at a later date?

I presume everyone who is against being filmed at the game refuses to enter a bar or club in any city centre?

Aldo
21-02-2016, 06:00 PM

As others have alluded you know what I mean!

I'm not saying don't support the team just behave in a manner that won't draw attention to yourself or put yourself in that position.

It really is as simple as that. How you choose to behave is entirely up to you and nobody else.

ALF TUPPER
21-02-2016, 06:04 PM
ACTION AGAINST THE ACT

Fans Not Criminals​

Axe the Act

Who's ' We ' ? 🤔

wearethehibs
21-02-2016, 06:15 PM
Taken from the bounce. Just shows you it can affect Hibees who have done nothing to breach the act.

"As Ive posted on another thread recently, this act affected my life for over a year.

Banned from football, property confiscated and had to attend court 6 times, with it being ajurned for the most ridiculas reasons.

In the end I was found not guilty and the whole thing was for nothing.

All I did was film a Police Officer and tell him I thought he was out of order for what he was doing.

In no way was my behaviour offensive or racist or sectarian (you know, the actual reason for this law) yet I was charged under that act. Its a joke.

Well done to those standing against it."

marinello59
21-02-2016, 06:32 PM
It's poor legislation which was only introduced by the Scottish Government so they could be seen to be tough on football ''hooligans.'' It should be axed. The laws which have been in existence long before this act was introduced are sufficient to deal with any problems at football matches if used properly.

SunshineOnLeith
21-02-2016, 06:33 PM
Taken from the bounce. Just shows you it can affect Hibees who have done nothing to breach the act.

"As Ive posted on another thread recently, this act affected my life for over a year.

Banned from football, property confiscated and had to attend court 6 times, with it being ajurned for the most ridiculas reasons.

All I did was film a Police Officer and tell him I thought he was out of order for what he was doing.

In no way was my behaviour offensive or racist or sectarian (you know, the actual reason for this law) yet I was charged under that act. Its a joke.

I'd be willing to bet that the bit in bold is a lie.

Ozyhibby
21-02-2016, 06:36 PM

With or without this act, is there not a law against film in police officers in the course of their duties?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
21-02-2016, 06:38 PM
It's poor legislation which was only introduced by the Scottish Government so they could be seen to be tough on football ''hooligans.'' It should be axed. The laws which have been in existence long before this act was introduced are sufficient to deal with any problems at football matches if used properly.

Agreed.

What I would say though is that the failures of some groups of fans to self police has created the conditions for this legislation to be pushed through. As long as some continue to indulge in sitting/standing in the wrong areas and abusing other fans who question it, use smokebombs and a small minority verball abusing stewards then there will be no softening in stance.

It's understandable, I'm just about young enough to remember when acting like a bit of a daftie to show off to my mates was fun but a minority like that will always draw attention. As said though of used properly existing legislation should be able to tackle the behaviour I've mentioned.

Frazerbob
21-02-2016, 06:38 PM

For the uninformed (me) what's the difference between the old and new laws that make the new legislation poor?

Colr
21-02-2016, 06:47 PM

Why do you need hairspray at a football match?

matty_f
21-02-2016, 07:01 PM

I don't. :greengrin

SunshineOnLeith
21-02-2016, 09:21 PM
With or without this act, is there not a law against film in police officers in the course of their duties?

Nope.

Malongoals
21-02-2016, 09:27 PM
For the uninformed (me) what's the difference between the old and new laws that make the new legislation poor?

The old laws criminalised sectarianism, racism and homophobia.

The new laws criminalise 'offensive behaviour', something which the three things above obviously fall under but the difficulty is so do many other things

Bronson
21-02-2016, 09:55 PM
I remember hearing a steward say that he 'didn't feel he had done his job today because he hadn't chucked anyone out.' It was actually at a livi game and a few of the boys next to us heard it as well and challenged him, his face fell and he had nothing to say. It really said it all for me though, they're either trained to think that way, or they hire bullies with small cock syndrome. Probably a bit of both.

Say what you want, I know they're there to do a job, but it doesn't half make you resent both G4S and the police. I've seen some shocking behaviour from the authorities at football matches, but because they were wearing a uniform they were untouchable. Riles me up.

Ozyhibby
21-02-2016, 10:01 PM
Nope.

Fair enough, I wasn't sure. I may have dreamt that. [emoji3]

Bayern Bru
21-02-2016, 10:13 PM

Is that a crime?

Were they, aye?

Hibby D
21-02-2016, 10:31 PM

That's my thoughts too. :agree:

Walk down the street, park up in a supermarket, choose a book in the library, go to the footie. Chances are we're now all being watched in some way, every time we step outside. It's not a popular view to have (although I confess to not understanding why) but I couldn't give a flying one that I'm probably on 20 different cameras in a day.

I've even stopped bumping my gums that my bag is searched every time I enter ER, but folks going to the Edinburgh suite or hospitality get to stroll through with impunity.

It's just the way it is, isn't it? :dunno:

jacomo
22-02-2016, 12:03 AM
The Act criminalises football fans, it was implemented to make it seem that the government was doing something about the problem of sectarianism in Scottish football.

"Offence" is completely subjective, but the government do not care about the vague wording of the Act, nor do the police. They're able to arrest more and more football fans, making their budgets seem worthwhile (despite the ridiculously low conviction rate produced).

Every opposition party in Holyrood opposes it and wants to see it repealed, it is nothing short of vanity legislation. If you consider yourself someone who cares about the infringement of civil liberties, then I would suggest checking out this website and educating yourself, rather than making ridiculous comments about 'people who have got nothing to hide should have no problem with it'.

Well said.

It's bad legislation, and it's not addressing the core problem.

These people work for us, remember. We have to try and keep them honest.

silverhibee
22-02-2016, 01:25 PM

I don't think there is, but the police officers will warn you that your phone will be taken of you and kept until a trial as evidence, a police tactic, they aren't allowed to take your phone of you, now that Periscope is on the go the police have to now be wary of what they say to folk who might be using Periscope.

Me and my lad came out the train station and were stopped by 2 police officers, no football colours on, "where you of to lads", reply, going to the pub, POs, "just get a word with you," "where are you from" "what's your name", I asked why we were being stopped and had we done anything wrong, "We'll ask the questions from one officer" "you going to the game today", my reply, "yeah," "just get your names of the both of you," I once again asked why we were being stopped, "listen, we have been nice so far :rolleyes: but if you want to play games it will be in the cells for the night :rolleyes: so name DOB and address, and after telling our names etc etc we were then told we would be searched under the The Football Act etc etc, we allowed it so that we could just get on our way, Father and Son going to the football and subjected to this crap, not on when you have done nothing wrong.

Geo_1875
22-02-2016, 01:41 PM

Bollocks. It criminalises criminals.

Whether Police Scotland use existing laws or the Offensive Behaviour at Football Matches Act it is still aimed at offenders who are lambasted on a regular basis on this site and others.

If people get the "Act" repealed do they then go after Breach of the Peace next.

givescotlandfreedom
22-02-2016, 01:47 PM
I don't think there is, but the police officers will warn you that your phone will be taken of you and kept until a trial as evidence, a police tactic, they aren't allowed to take your phone of you, now that Periscope is on the go the police have to now be wary of what they say to folk who might be using Periscope.

Me and my lad came out the train station and were stopped by 2 police officers, no football colours on, "where you of to lads", reply, going to the pub, POs, "just get a word with you," "where are you from" "what's your name", I asked why we were being stopped and had we done anything wrong, "We'll ask the questions from one officer" "you going to the game today", my reply, "yeah," "just get your names of the both of you," I once again asked why we were being stopped, "listen, we have been nice so far :rolleyes: but if you want to play games it will be in the cells for the night :rolleyes: so name DOB and address, and after telling our names etc etc we were then told we would be searched under the The Football Act etc etc, we allowed it so that we could just get on our way, Father and Son going to the football and subjected to this crap, not on when you have done nothing wrong.

I've no problem with fans being held to account and action being taken against offenders but your example there would annoy any normal person and create resentment you wouldn't have harboured before. Poor show and abuse of the legislation.

Craig_HFC
22-02-2016, 03:48 PM

I know the guy who posted that on the Bounce and it is most definitely not a lie.

PHEONIXHIBS
22-02-2016, 04:30 PM
The act was introduced to tackle a problem in Scottish football that i don’t think anyone can deny exists, i have no doubt that onsome occasions the act has been over robustly enforced, but in my opinion if itis used properly it identifies trouble makers quickly and allows the authorities to deal with them faster, the act also allows police officers to tackle offenders outside of the ground for example a fan in possession of a match day ticket hundreds of miles away from a football ground singing sectarian or offensive songs will/can be charged with a section 1 offensive behavior at football offence. Basically it allows a link to be established between someone acting like a tit outside a football ground who is likely to act in the same manner inside one.

HH81
22-02-2016, 06:09 PM

Welcome to York :-).

HTD1875
22-02-2016, 11:27 PM

I'll tell you for a fact that it wasn't a lie, laughed out of court once it eventually got there.

silverhibee
23-02-2016, 12:35 AM
Welcome to York :-).

Hope I'm safe tomorrow night. :thumbsup:

Winston Ingram
23-02-2016, 09:24 AM

Exactly this. I'm all for this act.

For years Scottish Clubs fans outside the OF have been complaining about how the authorities do **** all about the OF and their behaviour.

Finally they do and we get threads like this? :confused:

LaMotta
23-02-2016, 12:48 PM

You shouldn't be allowed to have that user name given the drivel you tend to post.

Ged
23-02-2016, 02:20 PM
Is it the group that sets off the flares and smoke bombs that's being victimised here?

allezsauzee
26-02-2016, 08:10 AM

indeed!....unless you are Cristiano Ronaldo

Diclonius
26-02-2016, 09:24 AM
For years Scottish Clubs fans outside the OF have been complaining about how the authorities do **** all about the OF and their behaviour.

How many OF fans do you think will actually be arrested as a result of this?

The point being here is that the clubs (i.e. the OF) are looking for yet ANOTHER way to pass the buck of liability to football fans, whilst they continue to get off scott-free. The ONLY way to stop being from doing this is to reform from within. If you start docking points and expelling teams from cups, watch how quickly OF East and OF West start banning fans who attend their games left, right and centre - watch how quickly the problem will disappear then, ala Tom Hart doing likewise. At that point, it'll FINALLY have become a disadvantage to them instead of a money printer.

The sectarian divide increases the OF's marketability to like-minded idiots, and they will not do anything about it while they the club are not punished for it. You'll hear just as much sectarianism and bigotry at Scottish football games regardless of who is being arrested, because there will always be 50,000 more 90-minute bigots to take their place. They'll only stop when 1. their club starts sliding down the league as a direct result of their fondness for singing songs that happened hundreds of years ago and 2. their club directly starts condemning their behaviour and banning fans personally from grounds.

This act will do bugger all, and looks like the Scottish government agrees with me - they've just announced they will not fund it, as they think clubs and authorities should take more responsibility. Good on them. :aok:

Geo_1875
26-02-2016, 09:46 AM
How many OF fans do you think will actually be arrested as a result of this?

The point being here is that the clubs (i.e. the OF) are looking for yet ANOTHER way to pass the buck of liability to football fans, whilst they continue to get off scott-free. The ONLY way to stop being from doing this is to reform from within. If you start docking points and expelling teams from cups, watch how quickly OF East and OF West start banning fans who attend their games left, right and centre - watch how quickly the problem will disappear then, ala Tom Hart doing likewise. At that point, it'll FINALLY have become a disadvantage to them instead of a money printer.

The sectarian divide increases the OF's marketability to like-minded idiots, and they will not do anything about it while they the club are not punished for it. You'll hear just as much sectarianism and bigotry at Scottish football games regardless of who is being arrested, because there will always be 50,000 more 90-minute bigots to take their place. They'll only stop when 1. their club starts sliding down the league as a direct result of their fondness for singing songs that happened hundreds of years ago and 2. their club directly starts condemning their behaviour and banning fans personally from grounds.

This act will do bugger all, and looks like the Scottish government agrees with me - they've just announced they will not fund it, as they think clubs and authorities should take more responsibility. Good on them. :aok:

The Scottish Government are still fully behind the Act, they have just refused to fund the facial recognition technology that the SFA/SPFL want to introduce. Quite rightly too. Until Police Scotland wade in and arrest offenders on the spot it is all a waste of time. Nobody cares if 12 Dundee fans are arrested 6 weeks after the event for singing a naughty song or setting off a flare. When Police Scotland get stuck into the Green Brigade or our own South Stand when we are playing Rangers live on television I'll maybe believe there is really an anti-sectarian policy in Scotland.