PDA

View Full Version : NHC SFA to review 3G pitches

wookie70
20-02-2016, 11:34 AM
All it takes is for one The Rangers player to get a pretty routine injury and the SPFL jump to attention. The pitch at Killie looks decent to me and I don't recall much being done after Farid got a terrible injury on a terrible pitch at Alloa.

Saying all that I do think a review is a good thing and minimum standards should be looked at in terms of age, wear and maintenance etc. Substantial watering of the pitch should be mandatory before any professional game. The way money is in Scottish football I can't see how we can revert to grass only.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/other/spfl-to-review-3g-pitches/vi-BBpHman

Scott Allan Key
20-02-2016, 11:40 AM
All it takes is for one The Rangers player to get a pretty routine injury and the SPFL jump to attention. The pitch at Killie looks decent to me and I don't recall much being done after Farid got a terrible injury on a terrible pitch at Alloa.

Saying all that I do think a review is a good thing and minimum standards should be looked at in terms of age, wear and maintenance etc. Substantial watering of the pitch should be mandatory before any professional game. The way money is in Scottish football I can't see how we can revert to grass only.

Could you post a link? I believe there is studies in States linking some elements of 3G pitches to cancer, which if credible, is more serious.

wookie70
20-02-2016, 11:43 AM
Could you post a link? I believe there is studies in States linking some elements of 3G pitches to cancer, which if credible, is more serious.

Added it to OP.

Eyrie
20-02-2016, 11:45 AM
This is only valid if they are willing to look at all pitches and not just artificial ones. Players get injuries on grass pitches as well and those teams with artificial surfaces don't seem to lose players on a frequent basis during home games.

And the review should be wider because it's not acceptable that a game can be cancelled because of a little rain so any team in that situation should have to spend money on replacing the existing pitch with one that can cope.

marinello59
20-02-2016, 11:48 AM
They should also consider what part having an arse big enough to qualify for its own post code played in Waghorn's injury. He was always going to waddle in to trouble at some point.

easty
20-02-2016, 11:49 AM

I read something about this last week, it doesn't apply to our pitches, it's to do with th rubber that's used on the U.S. artificial pitches.

Scott Allan Key
20-02-2016, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE=wookie70;4592885]Added it to OP.[/QUOTE

Thanks, does seem related to injury to Vaggy Vaggy. If the injury stops Rangers getting auto entry in SPFL, you can see sponsors of next years competition having a word in Donkey's ears.

BH Hibs
20-02-2016, 11:53 AM
Maybe being a bit flippant here but could a match official put a game off on these pitches if he deems it a danger to the players.

NAE NOOKIE
20-02-2016, 12:34 PM
I read something about this last week, it doesn't apply to our pitches, it's to do with th rubber that's used on the U.S. artificial pitches.

I play on the 3G at Gala Fairydean Rovers now and again, its saturated with those tiny bits of rubber, I'm pretty sure its common to 3G pitches worldwide. The stuff gets everywhere ..... a few months ago I howked a bit out of my ear 2 days after a game.

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2016, 12:44 PM
They are sheite, get them tae F away from football at this level until you cant tell the difference from a proper pitch.

ozwoody
20-02-2016, 12:48 PM
I play on the 3G at Gala Fairydean Rovers now and again, its saturated with those tiny bits of rubber, I'm pretty sure its common to 3G pitches worldwide. The stuff gets everywhere ..... a few months ago I howked a bit out of my ear 2 days after a game.
Here in Oz there is a lot of 3g pitches being looked at , and due to the heat , those bloody small rubber pellets are being replaced with cork due to overheating ,causing horrendous blisters and fatigue.
According to research ,cork is 30 degrees cooler on hotter days than rubber so all new pitches will incorporate that

GreenCastle
20-02-2016, 12:51 PM
3G pitches aren't always all weather.

I've seen plenty games called off due to snow and ice on them. You aren't supposed to brush the snow off them like Falkirk did recently as that ruins them.

There are far too many 3G pitches in Scotland not fully maintained - they need regular brushing (with a tractor usually) and over the next few years we will have an issue with having to replace them.

The Alloa surface is terrible - the Killie one is better but still not great.

Compare that to the new Heriot watt surface and its night and day.

The issue is Alloa and Killie allow so much community usage the surface is flattened and not suitable I believe for top level football.

This country has an issue as more games seem to postponed due to weather on grass..for me summer football is still the answer.

JimBHibees
20-02-2016, 12:54 PM
The good ones are decent and think they are ok however the ones like Alloa and the one Dunfermline are horrific IMO. Makes sense for smaller league community clubs to use. Needs to be a standard set.

easty
20-02-2016, 01:04 PM

Yeah, but it's what makes up the rubber that is different in the US.

emerald green
20-02-2016, 01:05 PM
These synthetic surfaces are awful. They are banned in English league football. Football is meant to be played on grass, not rubber or whatever.

A recent PFA Scotland survey interviewed around 700 players (the ones with their bodies / careers and livlihoods on the line, not us) and almost 75% of them said they would rather play on a deteriorating grass surface than on plastic.

GreenCastle
20-02-2016, 01:07 PM
The good ones are decent and think they are ok however the ones like Alloa and the one Dunfermline are horrific IMO. Makes sense for smaller league community clubs to use. Needs to be a standard set.

Dunfermline play on grass now - but massive carry on when they had one etc.

Another issue is that clubs usually get funding for them and part of the funding terms usually include community usage.

Ozyhibby
20-02-2016, 01:24 PM
If they are more dangerous then surely all the clubs that have them must have massive injury lists?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
20-02-2016, 01:32 PM

There was an article on the BBC website earlier this week saying that there are concerns about the UK ones too.

They're not as concerned as they are in the US because there are different levels of regulation in terms of what you can make tyres out of here (the rubber pellets are from tyres that have been smashed to pieces).

Seemingly they've been looking at cancer cases that they could possibly link to these pitches and 60% of the cases have involved goalkeepers. Goalkeepers come into more contact with the surface, swallow the pellets and get them rubbed into wounds more often so some people reckon there's a link.

I'm watching with interest because I play on these surfaces 3 times a week. Those bloody pellets get everywhere.

http://http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35585392 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35585392)

Oh, and FWIW I love playing on these pitches. I'm not convinced about the cause and effect link here with injuries.

Ozyhibby
20-02-2016, 01:37 PM
There was an article on the BBC website earlier this week saying that there are concerns about the UK ones too.

They're not as concerned as they are in the US because there are different levels of regulation in terms of what you can make tyres out of here (the rubber pellets are from tyres that have been smashed to pieces).

Seemingly they've been looking at cancer cases that they could possibly link to these pitches and 60% of the cases have involved goalkeepers. Goalkeepers come into more contact with the surface, swallow the pellets and get them rubbed into wounds more often so some people reckon there's a link.

I'm watching with interest because I play on these surfaces 3 times a week. Those bloody pellets get everywhere.

http://http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35585392 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35585392)

There is no actual evidence yet though? This seems a bit like the 'mobile phones cancer scare from about 15 years ago' or the one with the computer monitors where everyone got conned into buying little plastic screen to put in front of the screen.

Smartie
20-02-2016, 01:45 PM
There is no actual evidence yet though? This seems a bit like the 'mobile phones cancer scare from about 15 years ago' or the one with the computer monitors where everyone got conned into buying little plastic screen to put in front of the screen.

Nope.

But hopefully some decent research will now be done.

Unfortunately with cancer there seems to be a huge random component with it. We don't understand what causes a lot of it and in the absence of obvious, nailed-down causes many cases are simply put down to bad luck.

This particular case (very sad as it seems) appears to be a caring father trying to explain why something very unpleasant happened to his son. Maybe there's more to it, maybe there's not.

It's certainly worthy of more research though.

Lago
20-02-2016, 01:45 PM
These synthetic surfaces are awful. They are banned in English league football. Football is meant to be played on grass, not rubber or whatever.

A recent PFA Scotland survey interviewed around 700 players (the ones with their bodies / careers and livlihoods on the line, not us) and almost 75% of them said they would rather play on a deteriorating grass surface than on plastic.
Don't disagree, but part of the problem in Scotland is that the state of some grass pitches is awful, both Dun Utd and Partick games off because pitches are water logged, then there are those that look more like a beach than a grass pitch, sand & mud. If I remember correctly not long ago ER was pretty poor and being criticised.

lucky
20-02-2016, 02:00 PM
I don't like them. The one at Alloa is the worst but teams should not have them in professional football in Scotland.

Mikey09
20-02-2016, 02:43 PM
3G pitches aren't always all weather.

I've seen plenty games called off due to snow and ice on them. You aren't supposed to brush the snow off them like Falkirk did recently as that ruins them.

There are far too many 3G pitches in Scotland not fully maintained - they need regular brushing (with a tractor usually) and over the next few years we will have an issue with having to replace them.

The Alloa surface is terrible - the Killie one is better but still not great.

Compare that to the new Heriot watt surface and its night and day.

The issue is Alloa and Killie allow so much community usage the surface is flattened and not suitable I believe for top level football.

This country has an issue as more games seem to postponed due to weather on grass..for me summer football is still the answer.

It doesn't as much ruin them but what you do by brushing the snow off is brush a hell of a lot of the rubber crumb off with the snow. That crumb is there for a purpose. For the bounce of the ball, to act as a cushion on players joints and for players to get purchase on it with the proper footwear.

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2016, 06:17 PM

Brightside
20-02-2016, 06:20 PM
Should be hybrid only at top level. But as its the Scottish League a standard 3g should be fine.

Andy74
20-02-2016, 09:33 PM
They are sheite, get them tae F away from football at this level until you cant tell the difference from a proper pitch.

What props pitch do you judge it against though?

You get rock hard grass pitches too at times.

I think any injury on these pitches just gets picked up on. The home teams don't seem overly affected though?

poolman
20-02-2016, 10:15 PM
I'm 62 and the "old school"

Def not a fan of artificial pitches

Grass always for me

But just my opinion FWIW

Radium
20-02-2016, 10:33 PM
Any review should assess all types of pitch, throughout a season.

Luzern67
20-02-2016, 11:01 PM
The cancer link is a different issue, the sfa would not be reviewing them if a Partick thistle player was injured

NGP
20-02-2016, 11:46 PM
My issue with 3/4G is not so much with injuries or other side effects. It is that the actual game of football is different on an artificial surface compared to grass. The ball rolls and bounces differently on plastic than it does on grass, so the game is played in a different way. Football is played on grass, some pitches are better, different sizes, but still grass. 3\4G football is, IMO, not real football. Fine for amateur or youth, but not professional.

G-Reg
21-02-2016, 12:34 PM
I've done some work in this area and the link to cancer has been a hot topic in the states for a while, Fox news had made some serious noise about the subject while running a disclaimer on their website saying they had no evidence and it was merely speculation.

The rubber infill is made from taking a car tyre removing the radials and grinding up the rubber that's it. Tyre fitters and mechanics would be in serious danger working with the rubber all day every day.

The fifa standard for certified fields (if they are maintained correctly) will be more consistent than grass as there is no minimum standard for grass. When setting the standard they took 10 grass fields and done a huge amount of testing on how the ball and player react with the surface then averaged out the data and that became the desired industry standard.

Injuries will occur in a fast paced contact sport regardless of the surface its played on but people focus on injuries that happen on artificial surfaces more.

easty
21-02-2016, 12:42 PM
The cancer link is a different issue, the sfa would not be reviewing them if a Partick thistle player was injured

I do think you're right, that it's only being investigated because Rangers are kicking up a fuss, but...I do think they should be looking into it. It shouldn't have taken Waghorns injury for it to become an issue.

For me, there's nae doubt that plastic pitches cause injuries. If I play on a 3/4G on a Saturday, my knees are sore on the Monday. I never feel like that after a game on grass.

Colr
21-02-2016, 12:42 PM
I'm 62 and the "old school"

Def not a fan of artificial pitches

Grass always for me

But just my opinion FWIW

An a proper lace up ba' as well! none of these modern namby pamby ba's

GreenLake
21-02-2016, 02:41 PM

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/other/spfl-to-review-3g-pitches/vi-BBpHman

Quite hunbelievable

GreenArmyyy!
21-02-2016, 02:43 PM

Genuine question.... How is that even possible?

blackpoolhibs
21-02-2016, 10:16 PM
What props pitch do you judge it against though?

You get rock hard grass pitches too at times.

I think any injury on these pitches just gets picked up on. The home teams don't seem overly affected though?

I never mentioned anyone being injured on these pitches, my gripe is the game is not the same as the game on grass. You dont see sliding tackles, its not proper football and i dont enjoy watching the games on this surface.

Carheenlea
21-02-2016, 11:38 PM
I never mentioned anyone being injured on these pitches, my gripe is the game is not the same as the game on grass. You dont see sliding tackles, its not proper football and i dont enjoy watching the games on this surface.

Has there ever been a great or memorable game of football on a 3G pitch?

Haymaker
22-02-2016, 12:45 AM
Genuine question.... How is that even possible?

IIRC a number of youth soccer players in the states developed cancer and a quick scan of them showed 62% (I think) of them were goalkeepers. Goalkeepers tend to spend more time in contact with the rubber pellets and it is believed that if they get into cuts or ingested in some way that they might possibly cause cancer.

G-Reg
23-02-2016, 09:21 AM
http://www.fieldturf.com/en/artificial-turf/artificial-turf-news/proven-traction-from-real-life-data

DAVE1875
23-02-2016, 09:31 AM
We'll no doubt hear dear Warbs bitching about it on SSN next

G-Reg
23-02-2016, 10:46 AM
We'll no doubt hear dear Warbs bitching about it on SSN next

Oh without a doubt

dangermouse
23-02-2016, 11:17 AM
Oh without a doubt

But respectfully :wink:

I am on a committee that looks after a pitch in West Edinburgh and we are currently investigating a hybrid pitch possibility. What is used is a matting that is backfilled with soil and then seeded. I believe it was tested on one of the back pitches at Murrayfield and had considerably better results then their current hybrid pitch. Costs less as well. These sort of pitches are probably the way forward rather than 4G.

G-Reg
23-02-2016, 11:51 AM
But respectfully :wink:

I am on a committee that looks after a pitch in West Edinburgh and we are currently investigating a hybrid pitch possibility. What is used is a matting that is backfilled with soil and then seeded. I believe it was tested on one of the back pitches at Murrayfield and had considerably better results then their current hybrid pitch. Costs less as well. These sort of pitches are probably the way forward rather than 4G.

Is it a pitch for community use?