PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time we had a postponed game at Easter Road?

Malongoals
19-02-2016, 06:28 PM
Just thinking about it, nearly all Premiership clubs seemed to have suffered from a weather-related postponement this season, yet we haven't. I can't remember one last season, or the year we went down (although you wouldn't know from how some the players tried!)

Can anyone help me out and find the last time we had a postponement at ER from a waterlogged/frozen pitch?

Hibernia&Alba
19-02-2016, 06:31 PM
One for Trig, I reckon! Statto will be along with full details.

FromTheCapital
19-02-2016, 06:32 PM
Barnsley in a friendly a few years back which got switched to East Mains?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HibbyAndy
19-02-2016, 06:40 PM
I remember a game at Easter rd being called off when we were in the first division in 1998/99 season can't remember who we were due to be playing though, Possibly Raith

ekhibee
19-02-2016, 06:43 PM
Surely Partick Thistle must have one of the worst records in that respect in the SPFL.

hibbypostie
19-02-2016, 06:45 PM
I remember a game at Easter rd being called off when we were in the first division in 1998/99 season can't remember who we were due to be playing though, Possibly Raith

St Mirren due to a lorry losing its load of chemicals on the motorway

hibee_girl
19-02-2016, 06:47 PM
Every fixture was cancelled one weekend the year we had the really bad winter, 2009 maybe?

HibbyAndy
19-02-2016, 06:47 PM

That was it :aok:

Billy Whizz
19-02-2016, 06:48 PM

Was this a night game

Golden Bear
I was thinking on Tuesday night that the pitch was still looking reasonably ok at a time of year when they're usually at their worst. We've probably not had to use the electric blanket so much this winter and this may have helped.

HibbyAndy
Was this a night game

No

Waxy
I remember helping clear the snow off the pitch in the early eighties for a match against Motherwell.Really hated missing any game when i was a lad.

nonshinyfinish
19-02-2016, 06:49 PM
I remember a game against Gretna that was cancelled because of snow (pitch was fine I think, but the streets were judged unsafe).

Can't find details of it online, but I did turn up this, also against Gretna: http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/hibs-v-gretna-game-postponed-after-torrential-rain-1-1242649

Billy Whizz
19-02-2016, 06:49 PM
No

Ok, I can remember a night game, think it was against Partick, had a floodlight fault????

Hibernia&Alba
19-02-2016, 06:50 PM
I remember helping clear the snow off the pitch in the early eighties for a match against Motherwell.Really hated missing any game when i was a lad.

Orange baw?

iwasthere1972
19-02-2016, 06:51 PM

Hearts when they lost their bottle coming along Easter Road.

HibbyAndy
Ok, I can remember a night game, think it was against Partick, had a floodlight fault????

No sure mate, Motherwell away in 2004/05 was a floodlight fault ?

Onceinawhile

I remember that, was in the ground when it got called off
Strange experience.

HibbyAndy
19-02-2016, 06:52 PM

Ironically that game against St.mirren that was called off me and my mate went to the Windsor buffet and watched the football updates and Pat nevin scored against hearts in a 2-0 win for Motherwell :cb

Alfred E Newman
19-02-2016, 06:54 PM
Probably the closest we've had to an unplayable ER was the Euro qualifying tie against a team I cannot remember and played in Mid July.

HibbyAndy
19-02-2016, 06:57 PM
Probably the closest we've had to an unplayable ER was the Euro qualifying tie against a team I cannot remember and played in Mid July.

Vectra a hink....Oconnor scored in a 1-1 draw the pitch was never in a million years playable

Waxy
19-02-2016, 06:57 PM
Orange baw?
Wish i could remember.Think it all melted anyway.Hibs gave us all complementary tickets .

iwasthere1972
19-02-2016, 07:02 PM
Not the last postponed match at Easter Road but I remember a New Year match about 83 or 84 being called off quite late and me and my brother were already on Leith Walk when the news filtered through. No t'Internet back then so I think it was carrier pigeon. We decided to go to Conan Doyles for a pint but as soon as we opened the bar door we were overcome by a terrible stench and a bar of roasters. We did a quick exit and on the way up the
Bridges we came across a couple of Jambos who wanted a boxing match. My brother James wanted to knock ten bells out the wee one but me being the sensible one held him back. A hundred yards up the road I gave them the :giruy2:

Up them.

lord bunberry
19-02-2016, 07:05 PM
I remember when I was five my daddy took me down to Easter Road......

archiebald
19-02-2016, 07:08 PM

Nah think that was when petrie turned undersoil heating off

jarre1875
19-02-2016, 07:30 PM
I remember that. Inter toto cup during the mowbray days. Got soaked as it was sunny n i left wi no coat. Got drenched as it was pelting down when i left a local hostelry. Think it was vk vetra but not 100% sure

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

portycabbage
19-02-2016, 07:38 PM

That was going to be my oldest's first game, only found out when we got there. Took her to clownaround instead, then 0-0 v Sunderland!

GordonHFC
19-02-2016, 08:19 PM

Defo a Partick game at Easter Road. Was just about to post this.

JoeTortolanoFanClub
19-02-2016, 08:30 PM
Vectra a hink....Oconnor scored in a 1-1 draw the pitch was never in a million years playable

Vetra Vilnius.

Jonnyboy
19-02-2016, 08:35 PM

Power cut in the stadium and surrounds I think, Billy

brog
19-02-2016, 08:36 PM

We had a big crowd up from London for the game, we had hospitality in FF. I remember Tom O & everyone being really helpful & apologetic but nothing Hibs could do. If St M coach had been either minute earlier or later it would have been ok but was stuck at Kingston Bridge with no way out. Mind you I preferred the alternative explanation that the tanker contained liquid soap & no one in Weegieland was prepared to risk moving it! :wink:

iwasthere1972
19-02-2016, 08:37 PM
I remember that. Inter toto cup during the mowbray days. Got soaked as it was sunny n i left wi no coat. Got drenched as it was pelting down when i left a local hostelry. Think it was vk vetra but not 100% sure

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/3862893.stm

Ārrived in the rain, sunny and hot at half time and Garry O' sliding on a wet pitch. I was in FF that day.

Heard that the only reason that it wasn't called off is because the Vetra team were staying in a hostel and wouldn't be able to afford to come back for a rescheduled match. Whether true or not I'm not sure.

Hibernia&Alba
19-02-2016, 08:42 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/3862893.stm

Ārrived in the rain, sunny and hot at half time and Garry O' sliding on a wet pitch. I was in FF that day.

Heard that the only reason that it wasn't called off is because the Vetra team were staying in a hostel and wouldn't be able to afford to come back for a rescheduled match. Whether true or not I'm not sure.

I wasn't there. Is there any footage of the conditions?

iwasthere1972
19-02-2016, 08:47 PM
I wasn't there. Is there any footage of the conditions?

Don't think so. People were just getting used to texting on their phones back then. Even T'internet was black and white. Believe me it was pishing down constantly before kick off. Much heavier than it was at Tynecastle last week. :wink:

GreenArmyyy!
19-02-2016, 09:02 PM

Dinaburg? Won 5-0 during one of the worst thunderstorms I've ever seen!

HibbyAndy
19-02-2016, 09:07 PM
Dinaburg? Won 5-0 during one of the worst thunderstorms I've ever seen!

Why is everyone saying Dinaburg ? It was FC Vectra FFS:cb

Billy Whizz
19-02-2016, 09:11 PM
Power cut in the stadium and surrounds I think, Billy

What I can remember about that game was, if we'd won, we'd have gone top of the league. What year was this

Tom Hart RIP
19-02-2016, 09:19 PM

Me too. Was Bertie Auld the manager? I left before the end then someone told me that Hibs had bought the volunteers chips???? Is that true?

Tom Hart RIP
19-02-2016, 09:24 PM
Remember a night game against Dundee in 70s. Terrible fog but we were allowed in and it was called off. Didn't get money back but replay was free. Can't remember if the game started???? Think it may have but only lasted a few minutes.

DaveF
19-02-2016, 09:38 PM
Remember a night game against Dundee in 70s. Terrible fog but we were allowed in and it was called off. Didn't get money back but replay was free. Can't remember if the game started???? Think it may have but only lasted a few minutes.

I think that game was in the early 80's as I'm sure I was there? Looking back at the archive on these boards, there was apparently another game in the 70's v Motherwell which was also hit by fog so you may be thinking of that one.

Waxy
19-02-2016, 10:28 PM
I think that game was in the early 80's as I'm sure I was there? Looking back at the archive on these boards, there was apparently another game in the 70's v Motherwell which was also hit by fog so you may be thinking of that one.

It was the early eighties. Sure we won the rearranged match 3-1 with a crowd of around 10000 getting in for free. A free match and only 10000 went if i remember correctly.

Framie
19-02-2016, 10:47 PM
What I can remember about that game was, if we'd won, we'd have gone top of the league. What year was this

Maybe 1993? Sure Miller was the manager and we beat Aberdeen 2-0 in the previous game to win three in a row think Was a big crowd the night of the power cut we never regained the momentum won the rearranged match 3-0

Framie
19-02-2016, 10:50 PM
Maybe 1993? Sure Miller was the manager and we beat Aberdeen 2-0 in the previous game to win three in a row think Was a big crowd the night of the power cut we never regained the momentum won the rearranged match 3-0

Actually 1995

jabis
19-02-2016, 10:53 PM
So it wisnae last Saturday?
Cheating tramps !

lyonhibs
19-02-2016, 11:06 PM
I remember a game against Gretna that was cancelled because of snow (pitch was fine I think, but the streets were judged unsafe).

Can't find details of it online, but I did turn up this, also against Gretna: http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/hibs-v-gretna-game-postponed-after-torrential-rain-1-1242649

Link isn't working for me but suspect it may be for the one against Gretna I remember where a burst water pipe/main was the reason.

monktonharp
19-02-2016, 11:42 PM
Defo a Partick game at Easter Road. Was just about to post this.:agree: also think we were doing well at that point. the game went on, a couple of weeks later and Partick had not won in 20 odd games. they beat us and we went on a downward spiral , I think.

monktonharp
19-02-2016, 11:46 PM
What I can remember about that game was, if we'd won, we'd have gone top of the league. What year was thisI think we were all outside the stadium when they announced this. we were on a roll too. typical

SteveHFC
20-02-2016, 12:06 AM

Anyone remember the Dundee game in 2003 being abandoned 25 mins in at Dens due to snow.

hfc rd
20-02-2016, 12:07 AM
Anyone remember the Dundee game in 2003 being abandoned 25 mins in at Dens due to snow.

Yeah I remember watching that game on the tv. Even Bobby Williamson started helping out to get the snow cleared.

hfc rd
20-02-2016, 12:09 AM

Did any Barnsley fans come up for this? If so, then what a waste of a journey! Some trek as well!

Sir David Gray
20-02-2016, 12:09 AM

It's actually frightening that this was 13 years ago!

I can remember watching that game on the telly!

SteveHFC
20-02-2016, 12:20 AM

It was my birthday that day and was at the game. Took ages getting back to Mussie from Dundee after the game.

jgl07
20-02-2016, 12:32 AM
It was a localised power cut rather than any fault at Easter Road.

FromTheCapital
20-02-2016, 12:36 AM
Did any Barnsley fans come up for this? If so, then what a waste of a journey! Some trek as well!

No idea, to be honest!

It got called off about an hour before kick-off if I remember correctly.

iwasthere1972
20-02-2016, 04:30 AM

100 fans made the journey and some of them had a look around the stadium. Remember seeing a photo of one of them planking in the West Stand.

Peevemor
20-02-2016, 07:46 AM

It was definitely the 80s. The first match was abandoned after about half an hour while still at 0-0. Hibs won the replay 3-0 and because there was no vouchers to be found, it was indeed free entry. There was a bumper crowd of 8k.

InchHibby
20-02-2016, 08:04 AM
I think I remember some of this, it was against Partick and it was a fault in one of the generator rooms. It was a midweek game.
I remember walking up to the ground and there was a very large crowd as we were on some decent run at the time, but after this night all changed and I'm sure this was the start of a bad run.

seanshow
20-02-2016, 08:27 AM
I remember a hertz game called off for heavy rain at Easter road, we were sitting in the car on St Clair street at about 1.30 when it was announced on the radio, game cancelled circa mid/late 80's, that's possibly the last derby that has been postponed at ER anyway.

I have a feeling the re arranged fixture was 2v2 , but i wouldn't put any money on it.

spudhib
20-02-2016, 08:30 AM

Was on the Beeb iirc

Hibby Bairn
20-02-2016, 08:49 AM
I remember a hertz game called off for heavy rain at Easter road, we were sitting in the car on St Clair street at about 1.30 when it was announced on the radio, game cancelled circa mid/late 80's, that's possibly the last derby that has been postponed at ER anyway.

I have a feeling the re arranged fixture was 2v2 , but i wouldn't put any money on it.

Called off at 2.15. We had a lock in in the Highwayman in the old bus station that afternoon and evening. Jambos and Hibbys (all pals). Carnage.

we are hibs
20-02-2016, 10:48 AM

Dinaburg in the intertoto cup. We won 5-0 and the weather was shocking. I'm sure fletcher scored a great freekick that day.

LancashireHibby
20-02-2016, 11:53 AM
Quite a few came up, we spent the afternoon boozing with them in the Four in Hand and the Hibs Club.

Royal Antwerp were at Hearts the next day and they have some sort of link with Barnsley so there were a few Belgians as well.

I got the 18:52 back south as normal and then went boozing in Blackpool until 4am before a day session on the Sunday for a Leigh v Halifax RL Cup final at Bloomfield Road. Don't think I could hack it these days, though I have a clear recollection of getting back to our hotel, so my theory was that we drank so much that we drank ourselves sober.

Denverhibby
20-02-2016, 02:04 PM
I remember in 1982 Murryfield was unplayable the Scotland and England rugby squads were using Easter road to train on. I was at Leith academy then.

dchibs
20-02-2016, 03:33 PM
was at a game at darkheid in the 80s when the fog came down and celtic fans invading the pitch, with hibs leading 2-0 to get the game posponed, hibs would have topped the league if we won.

Keith_M
20-02-2016, 04:57 PM
Just watching a cheesy disaster movie on german TV and Leith has been flooded by a giant tidal wave...

...so I wouldn't bother going to the game tomorrow.

:wink:

highland hibbee
20-02-2016, 07:15 PM

I walked into Tamsons for a pint after driving down from Dingwall, couldn't believe game was off, aye St Midden bus was stuck in traffic after an accident. From memory they could have got through and had a late kickoff but the police wouldn't have it. Wasn't a happy boy that day.

Tom Hart RIP
20-02-2016, 10:14 PM
was at a game at darkheid in the 80s when the fog came down and celtic fans invading the pitch, with hibs leading 2-0 to get the game posponed, hibs would have topped the league if we won.

Remember that as well but it was definitely early/mid 70s. Rearranged game was 1-1. I'm guessing 1974? I don't think we were near the top of the league in the 80s

Tom Hart RIP
20-02-2016, 10:19 PM
Remember that as well but it was definitely early/mid 70s. Rearranged game was 1-1. I'm guessing 1974? I don't think we were near the top of the league in the 80s

Just checked October 1975. There's a thread on a Celtic website which recalls the game. One guy remembers Alex Edwards giving the vickys to the jungle at full time. I bet he did as well. Apparently that was the game that caused a fence to be installed in front of the jungle as it was deemed one pitch invasion too many