PDA

View Full Version : Scott Allan or John McGinn?

Diclonius
19-02-2016, 11:56 AM
Who do we think is the better player? Both are broadly similar - attacking central midfielders with a good eye for a pass and a lot of individual skill.

Whilst McGinn is a fantastic player, and could go on to become a Hibs legend should he stay with us - I'm going to have to say Allan. McGinn has been supported by a far better midfield than last season, and has had more than a few off games this season. Allan on the other hand single-handedly dictated the pace of a considerable number of our games, with or without the support of the rest of our team.

I still think our midfield can do without Allan though - instead of one extremely gifted player, we have 4/5 very good, hard working industrious players, with a figurehead almost good as Allan providing the creative breakthrough.

FromTheCapital
19-02-2016, 11:58 AM
John McGinn. Hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CallumLaidlaw
19-02-2016, 11:59 AM
Allan has maybe slightly more technical & passing ability. Mcginn has more tenacity and drive. Better defensive side to his game and more prepared to shoot on sight. I think we need a John Mcginn more than a Scott Allan and I think McGinn will have a better career.

O'Rourke3
19-02-2016, 11:59 AM
McGinn. More of an all rounder and also more steam player. SA had his off days too

Sent via the bushes @ EM

WoreTheGreen
19-02-2016, 12:02 PM
Mcginn all day long

Waxy
19-02-2016, 12:03 PM
Scott Who?

jarre1875
19-02-2016, 12:05 PM
John McGinn. Every player has an of day but McGinn can tackle and get involved where SA waited for the game to involve him McGinm seems to get fired in a bit more

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Smartie
19-02-2016, 12:05 PM
Nothing between them.

Both superb players and very different styles of play.

Allan has certainly taken a step backwards this season in his career but I can see him stepping up again in future, either at Celtic or elsewhere.

McGinn has a brilliant career ahead of him.

The_Horde
19-02-2016, 12:11 PM
mcginn. Hands down. Better team player and just as much ability

GreenLake
19-02-2016, 12:11 PM
McGinn seems more focused on the team and games at hand. I see him going very far and making the most of wherever he plays. The decision making of Allan appears to make him as thick as the two short planks he sits on every week.

SeanWilson
19-02-2016, 12:15 PM
McGinn, wants it for the whole 90. :agree:

lord bunberry
19-02-2016, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't swap McGinn for Allan, but I'd love to have both of them.

Onion
19-02-2016, 12:16 PM
Polar opposites of each other in terms of commitment, professionalism and future prospects. McGinn is going to be a star player for some very big teams.

And we've got Allan, just doesn't sound as good :wink:

GreenLake
19-02-2016, 12:17 PM

Spit roast? :greengrin

lord bunberry
19-02-2016, 12:19 PM
Spit roast? :greengrin
You read my mind :greengrin

Jim44
19-02-2016, 12:21 PM
IMHO and without a shadow of doubt, McGinn is an all-round better player. On a side-note and from a Hibbees viewpoint, I think Scott Allen's agent should take a bow. His management of his client's business has enabled us to acquire the calibre of players, capable of keeping us in the running in all three competitions, weakened the potential of our main opponent in this campaign yet has kept SA well fed and watered while able to spend loadsa money and time on unimportant things like computer games etc.. His limbo existence will continue while Peter Lawwell decides which garden path he next chooses to lead Celtic up.

RCNG
19-02-2016, 12:27 PM
McGinn over that brat everyday.

Greenworld
19-02-2016, 12:34 PM
Mcginn by a mile

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

WeeRussell
19-02-2016, 12:41 PM
McGinn based more on the length of his contract than anything else. I think we're all conveniently forgetting how many match-winning assists Allan made for us last season, even if he and his agent showed themselves up as utterly classless in the summer. Having said that, with our backs against the wall and Rangers trying to put a gun to our head, Stubbs/Dempster/Craig etc. played an absolute blinder bringing in McGeouch and McGinn permanently, as well as taking Henderson on loan for the season. 5 years ago we'd have just wilted and let him go to Ibrox without getting what we really needed back.

Exactly. I prefer Mcginn's attitude, work rate, determination and passion. I'd rather go for a pint with him than Allan. I think we done very well out of the whole fiasco and wouldn't swap them back now.

However - based purely on who is a better footballer, I'm not going to kid myself, It's Scott Allan.

In a similar way that Riordan was a more gifted player than Fletcher... I think McGinn will go on to have a more successful, longer career.

I remember thinking Allan was likely the most talented/exciting player in that position that we've had since Latapy. While I love, really love, McGinn right now - I wouldn't argue the same.

easty
19-02-2016, 12:43 PM
There's no much between them, but I'm happy with what we've got.

If it'd been McGinn who left us, and Allan we brought in, I've nae doubt we'd be saying Allan is hands down the better player.

Bostonhibby
19-02-2016, 12:45 PM
I went for McGinn, better all round footballer, much much better attitude and I wasn't sure if the other one was involved in full time football anymore.

Jack Hackett
19-02-2016, 12:46 PM

Pretty much my sentiment. The pair of them would have been a better partnership than Brown and Thomson, but I'm happy with the way it all panned out

easty
19-02-2016, 12:48 PM
Pretty much my sentiment. The pair of them would have been a better partnership than Brown and Thomson, but I'm happy with the way it all panned out

Dunno about that. Think you're maybe forgetting how good they were.

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-02-2016, 12:50 PM
Scott who?

Smartie
19-02-2016, 12:51 PM
I also think that the 2 of them are far too good to be playing in the Scottish Championship.

Had we gone up last season I reckon Scott Allan would have stuck around. It was strange that he seemed to be trying to force a transfer to The Rangers but I suppose that was the team he'd supported who play in the city in which he lives. He probably had a fair idea by that point that they'd got their act together a bit and fancied his chances of playing in the Premier League with them over us.

We're all loving John McGinn right now but let's not kid ourselves that if by the end of this season he's had a taste of Cup semi-finals and finals, derbies and maybe even the Scotland squad that he'll be that excited about hanging around to play at Dumbarton and Alloa again if we don't go up.

Jack Hackett
19-02-2016, 12:54 PM

OK! Change the 'would' to 'might', especially as we'll never know :wink:

Penicuik Hibee
19-02-2016, 12:57 PM
Allan on a good day or when we were winning was superb. But consistently its McGinn for me as he does the ugly stuff in every match. Would have loved fed to see the 2 of them together

keep the faith
19-02-2016, 12:57 PM
If we go up I would love to see us try and get Allan back and link them up. Could see it happening.

kaimendhibs
19-02-2016, 12:58 PM
McGinn

patlowe
19-02-2016, 12:59 PM
Allan has more technical ability. I think it's hard to argue otherwise - IMO he's the most naturally gifted player in Scotland.

However, McGinn is just a joy to watch on so many levels (4 years :greengrin) and we are undoubtedly better off when you take into account his all-round contribution to the team. His running ability, tenacity and drive have been key in all of our 'big-game' victories this season, not to mention the effort and natural fitness shown on the defensive front too. Take the derbies for example - Allan may have created chances in those games but would he have had McGinn's drive and desire to make sure we got over the line? I'm not so sure.

They should both be Scotland regulars of the future but I suspect it will only be McGinn that actually achieves that status.

Juice-Terry
19-02-2016, 12:59 PM
Dylan is better than both of them. :thumbsup:

But, aye, McGinn over Allan any day.

Craig_HFC
19-02-2016, 01:05 PM
In order to answer this you only need to ask yourself one question... Is Scott Allan better than Zinedine Zidane?

:greengrin

Pretty Boy
19-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Allan is arguably technically the better footballer. McGinn has been a better player for Hibs and will go on to have a far better career.

NAE NOOKIE
19-02-2016, 01:09 PM
In terms of pure natural ability I would say Allan just has the edge, he is a superb player .... in every other aspect John McGinn is in front, his attitude, ability to run with the ball, tackling, energy, willingness to shoot, strength and not least of all his willingness to be a team player means he will be ripping it up on a bigger stage than Scotland in years to come.

I would take Allan back tomorrow, but if its a choice ......... McGinn, every day of the week.

SmashinGlass
19-02-2016, 01:11 PM
In order to answer this you only need to ask yourself one question... Is Scott Allan better than Zinedine Zidane?

:top marks:tee hee:

snooky
19-02-2016, 01:24 PM
Hard to tell with Allan is playing so well at Celtc. :rolleyes:

MB62
19-02-2016, 01:28 PM
Allan has a great deal of ability, and others have said, would probably be a very good player alongside McGinn, Henderson, Fyvie, McGeouch and big Marv as part of that midfield squad. Last season, I think there were times Scott tried to win games on his own but with better players around him, in all the players previously mentioned, he would be a better player himself.

However, on an individual basis, McGinn or Allan?
No brainer for me

We've got John McGinn
Super John McGinn

southern hibby
19-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Said all along will be between henderson and John McGinn to see who will will be a future Scotland Captain. Scott A will have to get first team football on a regular scale to even get an international game.

Now a team with the three of them in it could be a mouth watering experience but at present it has to be John for me because he has made me forget about SA this season.

GGTTH

CB_NO3
19-02-2016, 01:33 PM
Nothing between them.

Both superb players and very different styles of play.

Allan has certainly taken a step backwards this season in his career but I can see him stepping up again in future, either at Celtic or elsewhere.

McGinn has a brilliant career ahead of him.
I could not put it any better myself. Two complete different styles of play. Would love to see them play together for Hibs.

JimBHibees
19-02-2016, 01:34 PM
Allan has maybe slightly more technical & passing ability. Mcginn has more tenacity and drive. Better defensive side to his game and more prepared to shoot on sight. I think we need a John Mcginn more than a Scott Allan and I think McGinn will have a better career.

Word for word agree with that. McGinn is a player IMO who could easily with some development play in the EPL.

JimBHibees
19-02-2016, 01:35 PM

:not worth

hibsbollah
19-02-2016, 01:36 PM
They both have different attributes; McGinn can beat people with ball skills and dribbling, and has a better shot, Allan is more of a vision passer who needs to see a lot of the ball and can pass you to death. It's very close.

But i have to go for McGinn on the basis of not having a shan wee hun curtains haircut.

leithsansiro
19-02-2016, 01:56 PM
McGinn for me. And I'm not just saying that because Scott left for Celtic. Although Allan is probably a better technical footballer, McGinn's attitude on and off the park seems better, and that's why I think he'll go on to more than SA will. I think that the lack of game time that SA is getting will be a barrier for him, and it seems to be a theme throughout his career. He's 24 and is therefore no youngster, and McGinn already has more match experience than him. Too quick to chase the pound signs in favour of honing his game. Scott Allan reminds me of guys who are the best footballer in their class at school but don't do anything to improve.

McGinn all day long. Much more in line with Stubbs' type of player. McGinn does things for the team, Allan did them for himself.

southsider
19-02-2016, 02:00 PM
There is not another midfield player in Scotland that I would choose in front of McGinn. He has the ability to be the best since Crops. Noticed his team-mates call him Jack.

southfieldhibby
19-02-2016, 02:16 PM
I think John McGinn has the potential to be the best central midfielder I've seen play for Hibs. I'm 41 and he's edging towards Latas / John Collins status.

macd123
19-02-2016, 02:30 PM
McGinn for me. And I'm not just saying that because Scott left for Celtic. Although Allan is probably a better technical footballer, McGinn's attitude on and off the park seems better, and that's why I think he'll go on to more than SA will. I think that the lack of game time that SA is getting will be a barrier for him, and it seems to be a theme throughout his career. He's 24 and is therefore no youngster, and McGinn already has more match experience than him. Too quick to chase the pound signs in favour of honing his game. Scott Allan reminds me of guys who are the best footballer in their class at school but don't do anything to improve.

McGinn all day long. Much more in line with Stubbs' type of player. McGinn does things for the team, Allan did them for himself.

Yes - Scott Allan has barely had two years of first team football. He is 24 and has played 87 games of first team football. McGinn is 21 and has played 109 games. Still I bet Allan's agent is it better off than McGinn's.

stoneyburn hibs
19-02-2016, 02:40 PM
Hard to tell with Allan is playing so well at Celtc. :rolleyes:

Celtic have 17 midfielders on their books, mental.

McGinn for me, poles apart with their attitude. He will achieve a lot more than SA.

Nevi_SOL
19-02-2016, 02:46 PM
Both different types of players. But mcginn will go a lot further in the game due to attitude. Mcginn for me

Smartie
19-02-2016, 02:47 PM
Celtic have 17 midfielders on their books, mental.

McGinn for me, poles apart with their attitude. He will achieve a lot more than SA.

I think some of the criticism of Allan's attitude is a bit unfair.

Yes, he certainly left us under a cloud and he's got a track record of getting his head turned by his agent.

But I thought his attitude when playing for us was superb.

Sometimes the role he played made him look like his attitude was bad. We effectively gave him a free role, I think Stubbs didn't want him to do too much defending and to keep himself free and focussed on attacking, which he did.

Stubbs has continually backed up Allan and praised his attitude and the fact that he's been to 2 of our games in Edinburgh in recent weeks suggests that he still has a good relationship with many people at the club, not the kind of thing that would happen with someone who has a bad attitude.

Dashing Bob S
19-02-2016, 02:55 PM
Even a few weeks ago I'd have said Allan, superb passer of a ball who can pick the opposition apart.

However, he's made bad choices in his career and probably now won't get the best out of his ability. SA needed a solid run of games for 5 seasons to maximise his potential, but is now heading for his second spell in player rehab and stuck in the blossom-stagnate-rehab repeat-endlessly-with-diminishing-returns cycle.

When McGinn leaves Hibs it will be as a full internationalist, commanding a decent fee and going into a side as a first team pick and integral part of their plans, not just a 'buy all stocks and see what happens' signing; one in a score of hapless clowns trying to get a manager's attention.

Now McGinn seems as at least as gifted player: you improve by playing football, not sitting on a bench in your prime years.

MWHIBBIES
19-02-2016, 03:16 PM
Not even close, Allan gave it away far too much not to mention him being a smelly hun who tired to **** the club over at the first chance.

I prefer McGeough, Fyvie and Henderson to Allan as well honestly. They all work far harder and we're a better team for it.

CraigHibee
19-02-2016, 04:28 PM
without a doubt, McGinn, McGinn is a team player, i don't believe scott was although i do appreciate the contribution he gave while with us.

Just Jimmy
19-02-2016, 04:51 PM
McGinn
Zidane
Allan

[emoji6]

Iceman1875
19-02-2016, 05:19 PM
McGinn. He has a song. Allan didn't.

At Easter Road we play...

Diclonius
19-02-2016, 05:29 PM
Stubbs has continually backed up Allan and praised his attitude and the fact that he's been to 2 of our games in Edinburgh in recent weeks suggests that he still has a good relationship with many people at the club, not the kind of thing that would happen with someone who has a bad attitude.

Really? What ones?

lord bunberry
19-02-2016, 05:44 PM
Really? What ones?
St Johnstone and hearts

offshorehibby
19-02-2016, 06:15 PM
Allen, in theory is a skillful player, but John McGinn is outstanding brings a lot more to the team. he's the type of player who would walk over hot coals for Hibs. McGinn gets my vote hands down.

Franck Stanton
19-02-2016, 06:25 PM

Nail hit on head. Football is a team game and super John McGinn plays for the team. No shortage of skill either.

I just don't think you understand.......................

Delboy4
19-02-2016, 06:34 PM
McGinn by a country mile..!

HibbiesandtheBaddies
19-02-2016, 06:40 PM
McGinn all day long.

Great talent, great attitude. Mr Allan is short on one of those attributes.

mjhibby
19-02-2016, 06:49 PM
Exactly. I prefer Mcginn's attitude, work rate, determination and passion. I'd rather go for a pint with him than Allan. I think we done very well out of the whole fiasco and wouldn't swap them back now.

However - based purely on who is a better footballer, I'm not going to kid myself, It's Scott Allan.

In a similar way that Riordan was a more gifted player than Fletcher... I think McGinn will go on to have a more successful, longer career.

I remember thinking Allan was likely the most talented/exciting player in that position that we've had since Latapy. While I love, really love, McGinn right now - I wouldn't argue the same.

John mcginn has been so influential in our cup runs and unlike when the team waited for Allan to open teams up mcginn along with henderson and mcgeoch we are make ng things happen. It's no coincidence that we have done so well in big games with mcginn. No contest. It's mcginn.

Cocaine&Caviar
19-02-2016, 08:37 PM
Allan Bartley McGinn
Henderson
Stokes Cummings

What an outfielf that would be.

MWHIBBIES
19-02-2016, 08:41 PM
Allan Bartley McGinn
Henderson
Stokes Cummings

What an outfielf that would be.Except the right back would get killed because Allan wouldn't defend him, McGeouch far better in that position.

Cocaine&Caviar
19-02-2016, 11:04 PM
Except the right back would get killed because Allan wouldn't defend him, McGeouch far better in that position.

Gray seemed to be fine the first 6 months of last season when Allan was playing in that position? Id actually say Allan's form dropped when he was pushed further upfield.

Sir David Gray
19-02-2016, 11:06 PM
:singing: We've got McGinn... :wink:

Captain Trips
19-02-2016, 11:15 PM
Hibs played a huge part in getting Allans career back on track and at the first chance he wanted to drop us go to direct rival and play a part in preventing our promotion, attitude stinks and glad its not working out for him to be honest. McGinn all day long.

MWHIBBIES
19-02-2016, 11:19 PM
Gray seemed to be fine the first 6 months of last season when Allan was playing in that position? Id actually say Allan's form dropped when he was pushed further upfield.Allan never played exclusively from the right.

swindonhibs
19-02-2016, 11:23 PM
Havent read the 3 pages but in response to the OP question; they have different skills and styles: McGinn more direct, Allan more cultured. A hybrid of both would be the optimal, alas, if there were such a player, he wouldn't be at hibs. Let's be gracious we have seen both, and still enjoy McGinn.

GGTTH

stoneyburn hibs
19-02-2016, 11:37 PM
I think some of the criticism of Allan's attitude is a bit unfair.

Yes, he certainly left us under a cloud and he's got a track record of getting his head turned by his agent.

But I thought his attitude when playing for us was superb.

Sometimes the role he played made him look like his attitude was bad. We effectively gave him a free role, I think Stubbs didn't want him to do too much defending and to keep himself free and focussed on attacking, which he did.

Let's not pretend, the boy was desperate to join his boyhood heroes when the weedgie press said as much. He was a shining star at Hibs, yet put in a transfer request at the first opportunity. Well shot, however I must thank him. Dylan, John and Liam have been signed/loaned after he left. Fantastic business.

silverhibee
19-02-2016, 11:41 PM

:agree:

And these players were playing in the top league against some great players who were playing in the SPL at the time, the players just now are a league below and are doing very well, have to wait to see how they cope with a poorer SPFL if we go up.

wills
19-02-2016, 11:53 PM
No brainier McGinn for me, model professional doesn't chuck his toys out the pram when going gets tough and works for the team not for himself.

Having said that Allan would thrive with McGinn along side him

Greencore
20-02-2016, 12:49 AM
Allan would be a bit rusty since he never starts a game. But in all seriousness, mcginn offers more. I believe he had scored more but Allan is a good footballer too.

Mikey09
20-02-2016, 12:51 AM
If we had Scott Allan in this side we'd be top of the league.

Cocaine&Caviar
20-02-2016, 06:03 AM
Allan never played exclusively from the right.

He played on the right of the midfield 3 for the first half of the season, before moving into the top of the diamond.

MWHIBBIES
20-02-2016, 07:43 AM
He played on the right of the midfield 3 for the first half of the season, before moving into the top of the diamond.Our midfield didn't really have a set shape in my view, Allan certainly was appearing all over the place in most games.

matty_f
20-02-2016, 08:40 AM
McGinn for me. He virtually always influences a game and regularly sets the tempo for the rest of the side. Allan did this too, but less frequently.

Technically, neither player jumps out as being significantly better than the other, both can dribble and pass very well. McGinn makes better decisions more often - Allan will try the killer pass and complete one out of every four or five on a good day - losing the ball the other times. McGinn can play the killer pass but when it's not on, he picks a better option.

McGinn also has a much better work rate. All things considered, McGinn is better, but not by a huge margin.

magnificent_seven
20-02-2016, 09:48 AM
Based on sheer football ability, it has to be Scott Allan. I agree with an earlier poster that he is probably one of, if not, the most gifted player in Scotland. If he had made better career decisions, he would be playing in the EPL for a top club. His vision alone was one step ahead of everyone else.

McGinn is turning into a cult hero at the moment though. He works hard, has an excellent attitude and is skilful. A dynamic midfielder that we have been missing. I have no doubt in my head that he will be a key player for Scotland in years to come. We are so lucky to have him at the club on a four year contract!

Both class players.

I did feel a bit for some of the flak that Scott Allan got. If any of us here were Falkirk players and Hibs had shown an interest, we would be fighting tooth and nail to get a deal done. Frustrating as it was for us, the guy clearly just wanted a move to the team he supported. I still reckon the Celtic move will work out for him. Ronny Deila doesn't seem to have a clue and I reckon Allan will become a key player under their new manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mango Man
20-02-2016, 11:33 AM
Loved Scotty at Hibs, but showed a lot of disrespect to our club after we done him the world of good in his football career, luckily it has worked out really well for us.

McGinn is a better all round player.

Tonez
20-02-2016, 11:38 AM
McGinn any day of the week. Team player, determined. We are a better side without Scott Allan, great bit of business the club done in that department.

Nemo
20-02-2016, 12:22 PM
I think he'll be back at some point, i dunno i get a wee feeling.

he's a silly boy, he had it made here, cult status was awaiting him

...but naw ugly sister lifts her stain filled smelly kegs at him n whoof... offski, to catch a dose and sit on the bench...scratchin!!

Baldy Foghorn
20-02-2016, 02:15 PM
McGinn, a real team player, who would run through a brick wall for us............

Dashing Bob S
20-02-2016, 02:17 PM

...but naw ugly sister lifts her stain filled smelly kegs at him n whoof... offski, to catch a dose and sit on the bench...scratchin!!

Depends on a lot of factors. If Stubbs remains at the club to give him a second rehab, it's possible.

emerald green
20-02-2016, 02:20 PM
John McGinn by a mile. Better footballer. Better engine. Better attitude.

Oh, and he's not a Hun.

Smartie
20-02-2016, 02:40 PM

I agree 100%, I don't think we've seen the last of him. I just get a feeling.

I loved watching him when he played for us, it was the most I'd enjoyed watching a player play for us for years.

That's why I don't want to get too bitter about the way he left us.

We've done quite well out of players returning for a second spell in recent years, even if they didn't leave under particularly good circumstances first time round.

Your post was quite beautifully put btw….

snooky
20-02-2016, 03:59 PM
John McGinn by a mile. Better footballer. Better engine. Better attitude.

Oh, and he's not a Hun.

Ah yes but Allan has a better agent (I mean, as far as the agents' pockets go).

leggeto
20-02-2016, 04:01 PM
A bit like comparing brown and Thomson, so I'll have both in my team

SouthMoroccoStu
20-02-2016, 04:24 PM
Oh, and he's not a Hun.

But Despite the best efforts of the sevco, the majority of Scottish media and SA himself.....neither is he

Worth mentioning at this point, what a deal we got for a disruptive want away player!

theonlywayisup
20-02-2016, 08:56 PM
Scott who?

keep the faith
20-02-2016, 09:26 PM
Looks like Allan getting on the pitch today coincided with Celtic improving. Obviously the management team there are doing a Griffiths and holding back the best player they have.
Disappointed,as hoped he would stay out the team and we could negociate a return.

That doesn't mean I don't think his behaviour was disgraceful at the start of this season though.