PDA

View Full Version : Controversial subject? Who is the best ex Jambo we've signed?

hibby6270
18-02-2016, 09:18 PM
After the game on Tuesday, a Jambo mate sent me this picture to remind me of something that happened a few years ago. They'll never let it lie.

Obviously taken before they ditched him and he saw the light. We can forgive him for this little rush of blood to the head.

Got me thinking though. Just who is the best ex Jambo that we've signed over the years.

Jason has to come in to the reckoning but I'm going to stick my neck out and say Alan Gordon. Can think of a few others but would be interesting(?) to hear what you guys think.

CropleyWasGod
18-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Willie Hamilton?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Golden Bear
18-02-2016, 09:22 PM
Alan Gordon.

Alfred E Newman
18-02-2016, 09:24 PM
Willie Hamilton?

Closely followed by Alan Gordon.

Sir David Gray
In my lifetime, it definitely has to be Cummings.

The fact that he absolutely despises them now just confirms that.

hibby6270
Willie Hamilton?

Aye. Forgot about him.
He was around just as I started watching Hibs in the 60s so probably unaware he was an ex Jambo.:greengrin

hibbydad
18-02-2016, 09:26 PM
Alan Gordon.
Without a doubt Willie Hamilton Jock Stein got him sorted out and he was pure class. Absolutely starred against Real Madrid

Dashing Bob S
18-02-2016, 09:29 PM
1. Alan Gordon
2. Willie Hamilton
3. Ralph Callachan
4. Jason Cummings
5. Michael Stewart
6. Roy Barry

The rest were all *****.

hibby6270
18-02-2016, 09:33 PM
1. Alan Gordon
2. Willie Hamilton
3. Ralph Callachan
4. Jason Cummings
5. Michael Stewart
6. Roy Barry

The rest were all *****.

Interesting you have Callachan ahead Stewart. I'd have it the other way round but that just personal opinion. Both good players in their own way.

Jonnyboy
18-02-2016, 09:34 PM
Willie Hamilton
Alan Gordon
Eric Stevenson

Diclonius
18-02-2016, 09:34 PM

Likewise.

What was it he's been rumoured to have said on a night out? "I wasn't born a Hibee but I'll die a Hibee." Talk is cheap but he certainly seems to be acting that way right now. :agree:

Kato
18-02-2016, 09:36 PM
From players I saw, Alan Gordon and Jim Brown.

Kato
18-02-2016, 09:37 PM
Likewise.

What was it he's been rumoured to have said on a night out? "I wasn't born a Hibee but I'll die a Hibee." Talk is cheap but he certainly seems to be acting that way right now. :agree:

Alan Gordon did exactly that.

cabbageandribs1875
18-02-2016, 09:39 PM
out of interest how many hibs players have downgraded to hertz ?

harpo
Willie McCartney

BOB MARLEYS DUG
Cummings, Henderson (played for them before Celtic) Mikey Stewart was decent too?

Sir David Gray
18-02-2016, 09:40 PM

Paul Hartley.

Michael Stewart could qualify for this answer too.

Golden Bear
Without a doubt Willie Hamilton Jock Stein got him sorted out and he was pure class. Absolutely starred against Real Madrid

Yip, I was at that game, also remember a very young Jimmy O'Rourke playing in the same fixture. I suppose I have more lasting memories of Alan Gordon's goalscoring exploits.

Fishwicke
I'm an old guy. In any order.
Alan Gordon
Willie Hamilton
Ralph Callachan

hibby6270
18-02-2016, 09:42 PM

Haha. That was going to be the next thread I started.:greengrin

I'll start it off. Before my time but Gordon Smith probably tops that list. Closely followed by Paul Hartley.

cabbageandribs1875
18-02-2016, 09:46 PM
Haha. That was going to be the next thread I started.:greengrin

I'll start it off. Before my time but Gordon Smith probably tops that list. Closely followed by Paul Hartley.

without googling i think Gordon Smith(the gay gordon) actually won league winners medals with Hibs, Hertz and Dundee(i think) :greengrin

erin go bragh
18-02-2016, 09:47 PM
Paul Hartley.

If Paul Hartley is allowed . Close the thread
Gordon Smith .

GGTTH

jgl07
18-02-2016, 09:49 PM
Brian Hamilton signed to Hearts for big money!

iwasthere1972
18-02-2016, 09:51 PM
Gordon Smith .

GGTTH

Paul Hartley was the downgraded to Hearts answer. Keep up. :wink:

cabbageandribs1875
18-02-2016, 09:52 PM
Paul Hartley.

i really can't remember hartley playing for us but then again i have the memory span of a goldfish sometimes, but he did play 44 games(scoring 8 goals)

Sir David Gray
18-02-2016, 09:52 PM
Gordon Smith .

GGTTH

I wasn't suggesting he was the best player to go from Hibs to Hearts. The post I replied to just asked how many had gone down that road.

Hibernian Verse
18-02-2016, 09:53 PM
I'd have David Gray ahead of Mikey Stewart.

Fishwicke
18-02-2016, 09:56 PM
out of interest how many hibs players have downgraded to hertz ?Willie Ormond, he became their manager before returning to hibs.

erin go bragh
18-02-2016, 10:02 PM
without googling i think Gordon Smith(the gay gordon) actually won league winners medals with Hibs, Hertz and Dundee(i think) :greengrin

Yes but he won three with us :)

GGTTH

Lago
18-02-2016, 10:03 PM
Alan Gordon.
Gets my vote, magnificent player for Hibs, absolutely majestic.

Golden Bear
18-02-2016, 10:05 PM
Brian Hamilton signed to Hearts for big money!

Minefield time!! Personally I thought that Hammy was an excellent player for Hibs but he was yet another in a long line of players who received a constant stream of abuse from our own supporters.

Bostonhibby
18-02-2016, 10:07 PM
Alan Gordon for me.

hibby6270
18-02-2016, 10:09 PM

He did. Only player to win 3 Scottish top league titles at 3 different clubs.

truehibernian
18-02-2016, 10:09 PM
i really can't remember hartley playing for us but then again i have the memory span of a goldfish sometimes, but he did play 44 games(scoring 8 goals)

Have to say he played well every time I saw him for Hibs. Played differently and less centrally at Hibs - was in a squad full of characters and perhaps he felt a bit on the periphery - hasn't talked badly of Hibs have to say. Celebrated too many times against us mind - I think he's a decent lad to be honest. And he was with us in 2 spells technically. Jeez we might be due a development fee 😀

Leith Mo
18-02-2016, 10:11 PM
One of the best old school songs ever: "He used to be a hun but he's alright now Ralphie Callachan!" (Obviously back inthe day when their Diet tendencies were more widely openly advertised by them/acknowledged by the Hibs support

--------
18-02-2016, 10:12 PM
Willie Hamilton?

Alan Gordon.

Just what I was going to suggest. The only time Willie did himself justice on the pitch was when he was with us in Jock Stein's time.

Hibernia&Alba
So, who would be the worst ex-Yam to embarrass the green?

hibby6270
Another top name for the "downgraded to hertz" question.

Darren Jackson.

truehibernian
18-02-2016, 10:13 PM

Eamonn Bannon - easy answer that.

James70
18-02-2016, 10:13 PM

Billy Brown has to be a contender!

Golden Bear
18-02-2016, 10:15 PM

Thread closed!!

Hibernia&Alba
18-02-2016, 10:16 PM

Isn't he famous for only playing one match? It must have been some debut :greengrin

--------
Minefield time!! Personally I thought that Hammy was an excellent player for Hibs but he was yet another in a long line of players who received a constant stream of abuse from our own supporters.

Not from me he didn't. Totally agree with you - a very good player much under-estimated by many of the supporters.

Fishwicke
My doctor said I have the memory span of a goldfish. My doctor said I have the memory of a goldfish. My doctor said I have the memory span of a goldfish. My doctor said I have ....

portycabbage
18-02-2016, 10:22 PM
Another top name for the "downgraded to hertz" question.

Darren Jackson.

Keeping on the "controversial subject" theme - Ian Black's dad apparently!
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_games.php?playerid=6265
(http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_games.php?playerid=6265)
Ps actually he was at the PBS first.

leithsansiro
18-02-2016, 10:25 PM
This thread has raised two "really?" moments for me.

Firstly, I have zero memory of Paul Hartley playing for us, never mind amassing 40-odd games.
Secondly, I totally forgot that Darren Jackson ever played for them. Totally used to love him with us in the mid 90's. Always felt a bit sorry for him as he seemed to carry a load of his teammates too often.

Oh, and finally. How on earth did we convince Hearts to part with cash for Brian Hamilton? Always thought of him as brutal...

It's funny the things you forget.

Pete
18-02-2016, 10:26 PM

The ultimate player to play for both teams and a hero for the three he won stuff with. :agree:

A bit like Cummings, he was a Jambo growing and Hibs seized an opportunity to sign him. Need to finish his book.

Leith Mo
18-02-2016, 10:28 PM
How about (for the downgraded from us to the manky mob) Brian Hamilton? For me one of Akex Miller's few bad signings but a far better performer for that mob.

portycabbage
18-02-2016, 10:28 PM
The ultimate player to play for both teams and a hero for the three he won stuff with. :agree:

A bit like Cummings, he was a Jambo growing and Hibs seized an opportunity to sign him. Need to finish his book.

For a minute there I thought you were saying Cummings had written a book.

Hillsidehibby
18-02-2016, 10:31 PM
Have to say he played well every time I saw him for Hibs. Played differently and less centrally at Hibs - was in a squad full of characters and perhaps he felt a bit on the periphery - hasn't talked badly of Hibs have to say. Celebrated too many times against us mind - I think he's a decent lad to be honest. And he was with us in 2 spells technically. Jeez we might be due a development fee 

I hate that little can't with a vengance. I have a jambo mate who was at a function before that cup final and he grabbed the mike to make it plain that he ****ing hates Hibs.

The only man on this planet that if I met him in the street I would lamp him.

Fishwicke
18-02-2016, 10:42 PM
I hate that little can't with a vengance. I have a jambo mate who was at a function before that cup final and he grabbed the mike to make it plain that he ****ing hates Hibs.

The only man on this planet that if I met him in the street I would lamp him.maybe for another thread but who would you really like to sock it to. Use your imagination? Not promoting real violence.

high bee
18-02-2016, 10:45 PM
Don't know about anyone else but I love the Cummings 5-1 picture. He clearly has no support for their club now and it just shows how gutted they are when they reel that out.

Diclonius
18-02-2016, 10:46 PM

I'm strugglin' to think of a better answer than that.

Leith Mo
18-02-2016, 10:47 PM
Have to say he played well every time I saw him for Hibs. Played differently and less centrally at Hibs - was in a squad full of characters and perhaps he felt a bit on the periphery - hasn't talked badly of Hibs have to say. Celebrated too many times against us mind - I think he's a decent lad to be honest. And he was with us in 2 spells technically. Jeez we might be due a development fee 😀

Apart from saying his year at Hibs was "the worst of career" and "a nightmare". Remember his 1st game he played well up the wing and looked a player if lightweight (aye, I know!). Came from St Johnstone? Disappointment but turned out decent elsewhere. Hated him for his Anti-Hibs attitude ever since in spite of myself.

Sir David Gray
18-02-2016, 10:49 PM
Apart from saying his year at Hibs was "the worst of career" and "a nightmare". Remember his 1st game he played well up the wing and looked a player if lightweight (aye, I know!). Came from St Johnstone? Disappointment but turned out decent elsewhere. Hated him for his Anti-Hibs attitude ever since in spite of myself.

Raith Rovers.

Bostonhibby
18-02-2016, 10:50 PM
Is this the purple faced roaster thread?

Leith Mo
18-02-2016, 10:50 PM
Raith Rovers.

Went to St J after us?

highland hibbee
18-02-2016, 10:51 PM
Hi pal,
you're correct, and I think he is the only player ever to win three top league winners medals with three different clubs, none of which were rangers or celtic. Some achievement. Never be equalled. GGTTH

Mr White
18-02-2016, 10:57 PM
Went to St J after us?

Yup at the same time john O'Neil came to us though separate deals as oneill came to us on a bosman and we got cash for Hartley iirc.

Hillsidehibby
18-02-2016, 11:01 PM
maybe for another thread but who would you really like to sock it to. Use your imagination? Not promoting real violence.ending ****
maybe you ya condacending ****

truehibernian
18-02-2016, 11:01 PM
Isn't he famous for only playing one match? It must have been some debut :greengrin

Once was enough 😀

truehibernian
18-02-2016, 11:13 PM

The dressing room (and team) were full of talent - doesn't surprise me he wasn't happy - I think we won the league and did well after promotion when he left ? He did what good footballers do (see Jason Cummings) and proved us wrong in the end.

As for him being anti Hibs - can't say I've witnessed it. Might very well have said anti Hibs things on a microphone at functions (as a poster said) - mind I've grabbed a mic at functions and telt my boss he was a fandango - sobriety afterwards with bribery and a dash of humility thrown in kept me in a job 😀

Peevemor
18-02-2016, 11:22 PM
Hartley showed plenty skill at Hibs, he was simply too lightweight and was easily shoved of the ball. I haven't had a problem with him since.

Does anyone remember Malky Robertson turning out for Hibs? I think he made his debut as a trialist - we couldn't believe our eyes when we seen who it was.

truehibernian
18-02-2016, 11:30 PM
Hartley showed plenty skill at Hibs, he was simply too lightweight and was easily shoved of the ball. I haven't had a problem with him since.

Does anyone remember Malky Robertson turning out for Hibs? I think he made his debut as a trialist - we couldn't believe our eyes when we seen who it was.

Sadly his son thought he was a world beater after being the first youngster in the Souness era - I played in same league as Sandy and he was distinctly average - there's no doubt his old man influenced scouts at that level.

The sad fact is (and I've taken this with me for years) is talents missed through nepotism in Scotland - Malcolm's lad case in point - he simply wasn't a good player as against his peers at juvenile level.

jgl07
18-02-2016, 11:36 PM
This thread has raised two "really?" moments for me.

Firstly, I have zero memory of Paul Hartley playing for us, never mind amassing 40-odd games.
Secondly, I totally forgot that Darren Jackson ever played for them. Totally used to love him with us in the mid 90's. Always felt a bit sorry for him as he seemed to carry a load of his teammates too often.

Oh, and finally. How on earth did we convince Hearts to part with cash for Brian Hamilton? Always thought of him as brutal...

We didn't have to. He was out of contract and just went and signed for Hearts.

In those pre-Bosman days, Hibs were entitled to a transfer fee and got around 300,000 if I recall correctly. It would have been set by a tribunal based on wages paid etc.

Frazerbob
19-02-2016, 12:01 AM

Really? 100% Man of the Match record when playing for us :wink:

truehibernian
19-02-2016, 12:05 AM
Really? 100% Man of the Match record when playing for us :wink:

Next you'll be saying Ray Wilkins was good ?

Bannon was rank - admittedly I can't stand him so my judgement is clouded 😉

.Sean.
19-02-2016, 12:26 AM

I'm forever hearing stories he still songs Hearts songs when he's out on the pish with his pals, how true that is I dunno ando assume it's in jest because he seems to love scoring against them.

Maybe not a popular view on here but considering it bordered on unhealthy how much hated him when he played for them I think Mikey Stewart is a cracking pundit. Balanced, fair and hates the Old Firm. I met him in Harvey Nics and he couldn't have been sounder, and contrary to popular belief he has a lot of time for Hibs.

I usually hate us signing anybody with Hearts connections and I don't care how petty that is.

truehibernian
19-02-2016, 12:59 AM
I'm forever hearing stories he still songs Hearts songs when he's out on the pish with his pals, how true that is I dunno ando assume it's in jest because he seems to love scoring against them.

Maybe not a popular view on here but considering it bordered on unhealthy how much hated him when he played for them I think Mikey Stewart is a cracking pundit. Balanced, fair and hates the Old Firm. I met him in Harvey Nics and he couldn't have been sounder, and contrary to popular belief he has a lot of time for Hibs.

I usually hate us signing anybody with Hearts connections and I don't care how petty that is.

Supporters have to support and forget who players support(ed) - I trained with Hearts but always loved Hibs - would I sing Hearts songs as a lad if we'd won and the moment got to me - yep - sorry but humans get wrapped up in the moment.

I've loved Hibs for decades but if you're livelihood means you have to step out that now and again woopee doo - I'll still be walking through Easter Road turnstiles til my dying day.

Who's to say JC doesn't support Hearts in his later years ? I couldn't give a toss - he's made me happy when he's scored and played for Hibs, my club - fans get toooooo wrapped up in who players support - this year they're playing like they all love Hibs regardless - manager, fans, club all have to give themselves a pat on the back for that kind of unity.

Frazerbob
19-02-2016, 01:06 AM
Next you'll be saying Ray Wilkins was good ?

Bannon was rank - admittedly I can't stand him so my judgement is clouded 😉

Just stating a fact. 1 game, 1 MOTM award.

truehibernian
19-02-2016, 01:13 AM
Just stating a fact. 1 game, 1 MOTM award.

Remind me of the score 😜

The Leith Dutch
19-02-2016, 01:15 AM

There have only been 19 occasions where it hasn't been one of the ugly sisters as champions of the top league.
The next most league wins by a single team is 4 (Hibs, Aberdeen and the yams).

Gordon Smith played in 5 of those 19 title winning teams and won more titles than any non old-firm team.

Legend is an often overused term but in the case of Gordon Smith it's a bit of an understatement.

BSEJVT
19-02-2016, 04:18 AM

I will join you in that, I thought he was the perfect foil for Pat McGinlay and whilst pat got all the plaudits, Brian Hamilton got all the abuse.

ozhibs
19-02-2016, 04:23 AM
Willie Hamilton?

I would say Willie Hamilton but its close between him and Alan Gordon BUT JC is heading the way,

mikewynne
19-02-2016, 04:31 AM

I remember Hartley getting picked over and over again despite rarely playing well for us and continually failing to connect with perfect crosses to him, it was like he was scared to head the ball. He got many more games for us than he deserved, left and then complained about how he was treated. Maybe I missed something else that was going on but I found his attitude very odd.

HoboHarry
19-02-2016, 05:29 AM
The magnificent Alan Gordon by a country mile.

heretoday
19-02-2016, 07:37 AM
Mention Roy Barry and Chris Shevlane for the older among us. Willie Hamilton was the best IMO.

BSEJVT
19-02-2016, 08:24 AM
I never saw Willie Hamilton, but people I respect on and off this board reckon he was the real deal.

In my lifetime of Hibs watching it would have to be the imperious Alan Gordon.

No-one since has come close and barely deserve a mention in comparison.

Although notable exceptions could be made for Ralph Callachan & Mikey Stewart, who I thought was great for Hibs, until if you believe his side of the story, Collins marginalised him as he thought he was leaving.

Jason is doing really well, but IMO they get no credit for him (or anything for that matter), they released him before he was anywhere near even U 21 level.

The correctly and much maligned youth set up and Butcher (for taking the chance and playing him, although given his choices at the time it was probably Jason or me :greengrin) and especially Stubbs and his team deserve all the credit for the player Jason has blossomed into.

Hiber-nation
19-02-2016, 08:31 AM
Mention Roy Barry and Chris Shevlane for the older among us. Willie Hamilton was the best IMO.

Roy Barry was getting on a bit when he signed for us but his job was to take care of Dixie Deans which he did. Poor Cilla got destroyed by Deans nearly every time.

Alan Gordon is the best that I've seen by a mile.

HibbyRod
19-02-2016, 09:18 AM
As a young lad was Peter Cormack not with Hearts before he joined the Hibees?

brog
19-02-2016, 11:44 AM

You just beat me to it! TBH, I think the thread is a bit of a misnomer. Jason never played for Yams, he was on their books as a boy but has been with us since he was about 16. Similarly the Great Gordon, or the Rebel Eric never played for them, ( before us of course in Gordon's case ). We've actually enjoyed great service from many ex Yams over the years but Willie Hamilton & Alan Gordon must be the standouts in my time. Separately I'm still chuckling over how much money we extracted from Yams for Brian Hamilton!

WoreTheGreen
19-02-2016, 11:50 AM
You just beat me to it! TBH, I think the thread is a bit of a misnomer. Jason never played for Yams, he was on their books as a boy but has been with us since he was about 16. Similarly the Great Gordon, or the Rebel Eric never played for them, ( before us of course in Gordon's case ). We've actually enjoyed great service from many ex Yams over the years but Willie Hamilton & Alan Gordon must be the standouts in my time. Separately I'm still chuckling over how much money we extracted from Yams for Brian Hamilton!
Baian"i would rather lick stamps" Hamilton they took him off our hands and GAVE us money best piece of buisnes since AS LD Mcginn etc.

snooky
19-02-2016, 11:54 AM
And none of them Rantic, to boot!

borderhibby
19-02-2016, 12:39 PM
Willie Hamilton?

without a doubt for the younger supporters here is some info on that night I was a 16 year old laddie and remember it well I bought my ticket from Jock Stein himself
To put it into perspective let’s look at Real’s pedigree at October 1964.

Winners of the first five European Cups culminating in what is regarded as the greatest game of all time, the 7-3 victory over Eintracht Frankfurt at Hampden in 1960 when Puskas scored 4 and Di Stefano 3.Runners up in 1962 to Benfica when incredibly Puskas scored another 3 goals.Runners up again in 1964 to Inter Milan, only 6 months before they played Hibs.There is no doubt that Real remained in 1964 the most famous club side in the world. Although they were being challenged for their European dominance by the 2 Milan giants, who won the European Cup for 3 consecutive years from 1963 and by Benfica, dual winners in 1961 and 1962, Real were the team everyone wanted to beat. Real were to prove their continuing greatness by winning the top trophy again in 1966 only 19 months after their visit to Easter Road.
The stage was set therefore for a great contest, which took place in front of just over 30,000 at Easter Road in 1964. With their pride at stake, Real did not treat any game as a friendly. Hibs however turned in the performance of a lifetime and ran out worthy 2-0 winners with the goals being scored by the 19 year old Peter Cormack and an own goal by Zoco. Anyone who was there however will remember one player only on the night, the incomparable Willie Hamilton.
The Hibs team was Wilson; Fraser, Parke; Stanton, McNamee, Baxter; Cormack, Hamilton, Scott, Quinn, and Martin. It should be pointed out that this was a very good Hibs team. All 5 of the forwards shown were capped by Scotland as of course was Pat Stanton while John Parke was a regular for Northern Ireland. Another point of interest was that 7 of the 13 Hibs players were local boys and Hibs supporters. That was and still is certainly true of the 2 substitutes, Eric Stevenson & Jim O’Rourke. It was Jimmy O’Rourke who made the magnificent gesture of donating his tankard to London Hibs.
Jim, we’re only keeping it in trust for you, it will be well looked after.

--------
19-02-2016, 01:08 PM
I never saw Willie Hamilton, but people I respect on and off this board reckon he was the real deal.

In my lifetime of Hibs watching it would have to be the imperious Alan Gordon.

No-one since has come close and barely deserve a mention in comparison.

Although notable exceptions could be made for Ralph Callachan & Mikey Stewart, who I thought was great for Hibs, until if you believe his side of the story, Collins marginalised him as he thought he was leaving.

Jason is doing really well, but IMO they get no credit for him (or anything for that matter), they released him before he was anywhere near even U 21 level.

The correctly and much maligned youth set up and Butcher (for taking the chance and playing him, although given his choices at the time it was probably Jason or me :greengrin) and especially Stubbs and his team deserve all the credit for the player Jason has blossomed into.

Wille certainly was - when he was in the mind to play.

Stein got the best from him, mainly because as King Pat says in the Youtube clip, Willie was terrified of Big Jock.

That Willie played only ONE game for Scotland, when players not fit to lace his boots were fixtures in the team, says it all - the only man who could manage Willie was JS.

I agree - Callachan and Stewart were excellent for us, and Stewart's case is a perfect example of Mr Collins' monumental lack of 'people skills' in handling that squad.

I do wonder whether the present situation at Parkhead might be down to Mr Collins and his attitude to the players?

MartinfaePorty
19-02-2016, 01:16 PM
Can understand why Eamonn Bannon is named in this thread, but he only played 1 game (albeit a defeat to Motherwell, which I believe was one of the very few times they beat us in the early 1990s). The reason he played is that we had loads of defensive injuries and Miller, as usual, didn't want to bring in a youngster (I remember another terrible occasion with Brian Hamilton and Pat McGinlay being used at full-back at Ibrox).

duffers
19-02-2016, 01:22 PM
Fraser Mullen :duck:

KeithTheHibby
19-02-2016, 01:25 PM

*shudders:greengrin

ehf
19-02-2016, 01:35 PM

Say what you like about Fenlon; he had some eye for a player.

AndyM_1875
19-02-2016, 01:48 PM

Correct. Jason got a knee injury and Hearts dumped him.
The boy was working as a gardener and came back to football playing for Hutchie Vale before Hibs signed him.

ancient hibee
19-02-2016, 02:19 PM
without a doubt for the younger supporters here is some info on that night I was a 16 year old laddie and remember it well I bought my ticket from Jock Stein himself

Winners of the first five European Cups culminating in what is regarded as the greatest game of all time, the 7-3 victory over Eintracht Frankfurt at Hampden in 1960 when Puskas scored 4 and Di Stefano 3.Runners up in 1962 to Benfica when incredibly Puskas scored another 3 goals.Runners up again in 1964 to Inter Milan, only 6 months before they played Hibs.

There is no doubt that Real remained in 1964 the most famous club side in the world. Although they were being challenged for their European dominance by the 2 Milan giants, who won the European Cup for 3 consecutive years from 1963 and by Benfica, dual winners in 1961 and 1962, Real were the team everyone wanted to beat. Real were to prove their continuing greatness by winning the top trophy again in 1966 only 19 months after their visit to Easter Road.
The stage was set therefore for a great contest, which took place in front of just over 30,000 at Easter Road in 1964. With their pride at stake, Real did not treat any game as a friendly. Hibs however turned in the performance of a lifetime and ran out worthy 2-0 winners with the goals being scored by the 19 year old Peter Cormack and an own goal by Zoco. Anyone who was there however will remember one player only on the night, the incomparable Willie Hamilton.
The Hibs team was Wilson; Fraser, Parke; Stanton, McNamee, Baxter; Cormack, Hamilton, Scott, Quinn, and Martin. It should be pointed out that this was a very good Hibs team. All 5 of the forwards shown were capped by Scotland as of course was Pat Stanton while John Parke was a regular for Northern Ireland. Another point of interest was that 7 of the 13 Hibs players were local boys and Hibs supporters. That was and still is certainly true of the 2 substitutes, Eric Stevenson & Jim O’Rourke. It was Jimmy O’Rourke who made the magnificent gesture of donating his tankard to London Hibs.

And it cost six bob for the ground-I'd never paid that much before.We then took 4 off Rangers at Ibrox a few days later.

Two fringe players that left us for Hearts-Jim Souness and Ian Crawford-both won medals with them.

We wanted to sign Jimmy Wardaugh when he asked away(Hearts had to put an item in their programme asking fans to stop booing him-their top scorer at the time and nothing to do with him being RC of course)but it fell through-still Bobby Johnstone came back instead.

Smartie
19-02-2016, 02:25 PM

Say what you like about Fenlon; he had some eye for a player.

Only outdone by his quite magnificent man-management of a player who came from Hearts with a reasonable amount of promise.

The poor laddie was hung out to dry.

Hibernia&Alba
19-02-2016, 02:27 PM

Winners of the first five European Cups culminating in what is regarded as the greatest game of all time, the 7-3 victory over Eintracht Frankfurt at Hampden in 1960 when Puskas scored 4 and Di Stefano 3.Runners up in 1962 to Benfica when incredibly Puskas scored another 3 goals.Runners up again in 1964 to Inter Milan, only 6 months before they played Hibs.

There is no doubt that Real remained in 1964 the most famous club side in the world. Although they were being challenged for their European dominance by the 2 Milan giants, who won the European Cup for 3 consecutive years from 1963 and by Benfica, dual winners in 1961 and 1962, Real were the team everyone wanted to beat. Real were to prove their continuing greatness by winning the top trophy again in 1966 only 19 months after their visit to Easter Road.

Great post, BH. By the way, how did you come by a ticket via Jock Stein himself?

brog
19-02-2016, 02:31 PM

i was really enjoying this article & thinking it was very much in line with my own memories of the game when I realised I wrote it, I guess for Hibees Here, Hibees There! :greengrin Don't get old guys!

MWHIBBIES
19-02-2016, 05:46 PM
Only outdone by his quite magnificent man-management of a player who came from Hearts with a reasonable amount of promise.

The poor laddie was hung out to dry.The poor laddie was pish, nothing to do with man management.

allezsauzee
19-02-2016, 06:09 PM
No mention of Andy 'Winker' Watson on this thread yet? :confused:

Hibernia&Alba
19-02-2016, 07:21 PM
No mention of Andy 'Winker' Watson on this thread yet? :confused:

The baldy hun bawbag? Naw, nae mention.

heidtheba
19-02-2016, 07:50 PM
Not from me he didn't. Totally agree with you - a very good player much under-estimated by many of the supporters.

I know we basically replaced him with McGinlay but I always felt we lost a bit of shape after Hamilton left. I'm pretty sure we did better with Hamilton in the side than with the far better McGinlay.

heidtheba
19-02-2016, 07:58 PM
Gordon Durie went in the wrong direction too.

And just for the record, I really liked Hartley when he played for us, I'm sure I saw him score against Raith in what was billed as the nearest thing to a derby back in January 99. Was he not a winger?

Smartie
19-02-2016, 08:01 PM
Gordon Durie went in the wrong direction too.

And just for the record, I really liked Hartley when he played for us, I'm sure I saw him score against Raith in what was billed as the nearest thing to a derby back in January 99. Was he not a winger?

I really liked Hartley too.

He was a winger and I seem to remember an article at the time about him struggling to make much of an impact with us because of our narrow pitch. I didn't really see it that way though.

He didn't really ever let us down and scored some superb goals when we were in the first division but didn't get much of a game when we were promoted.

Then he went to St Johnstone who played him in the middle, then……...

HibbyDave
19-02-2016, 08:04 PM
I'm an old guy. In any order.
Alan Gordon
Willie Hamilton
Ralph Callachan

Think I might be older...... Chris Shevlane:greengrin

brog
19-02-2016, 08:42 PM
Can I suggest that Willie McCartney was almost certainly our finest signing from them.

heretoday
19-02-2016, 10:54 PM
I really liked Hartley too.

He was a winger and I seem to remember an article at the time about him struggling to make much of an impact with us because of our narrow pitch. I didn't really see it that way though.

He didn't really ever let us down and scored some superb goals when we were in the first division but didn't get much of a game when we were promoted.

Then he went to St Johnstone who played him in the middle, then……...

He scored a tremendous goal against, I think, Dunfermline. It was a cannon from the edge of the box that won the match.
Not the worst player we've had by any means.

Purple & Green
19-02-2016, 11:26 PM
Can I suggest that Willie McCartney was almost certainly our finest signing from them.

I'd vote for that. Or Gordon smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silverhibee
19-02-2016, 11:37 PM
The poor laddie was pish, nothing to do with man management.

Fenlon should have removed him from the team way earlier than he did, poor man management from Fenlon.

O'Rourke3
20-02-2016, 12:34 AM

Cormack was sacked by Hearts when he was in the ground staff. As a 15 yr old apprentice the groundskeeper apparently though he should know how to drive the lawn mower/tractor out the park and back to where-ever it stayed. Crashing it into the gates was a sackable offence and Hibernian picked him up for nought less than a week later......

belhavenbill
20-02-2016, 12:50 AM
Gordon Marshall played in goals for us in the 60s I think. Had a shop at the west end if I remember right. God, he was a big man! Not a bad goalie either. I agree that Willue Hamilton and Alan Gordon were the best we got from them but Shevlane, Brown never let us down.

brog
20-02-2016, 05:31 AM
I'd vote for that. Or Gordon smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except we never signed Gordon from the Yams. Rather he was going to sign for them but we beat them to the punch!

hibbybrian
20-02-2016, 10:03 AM

Can't argue with that.

If we're including players we haven't seen playing, then Harry Rennie would be my shout, possibly followed by Bobby Atherton.

If only players we have seen, then Willie Hamilton :not worth followed by Alan Gordon :top marks

Bill Milne
20-02-2016, 10:24 AM
Best one was, effectively, stealing Eric Stevenson (The rebel).

StevieT
20-02-2016, 10:38 AM
Gordon Marshall played in goals for us in the 60s I think. Had a shop at the west end if I remember right. God, he was a big man! Not a bad goalie either. I agree that Willue Hamilton and Alan Gordon were the best we got from them but Shevlane, Brown never let us down.

I think it may have been a newsagent at the foot of Morrison Street.

hibbybrian
20-02-2016, 11:37 AM
I think it may have been a newsagent at the foot of Morrison Street.

It was on West Maitland Street - somewhere around Costcutters and Willie Hills - and IIRC there was also a Barber Shop on the same property.

Tom Hart RIP
20-02-2016, 11:48 AM
It was on West Maitland Street - somewhere around Costcutters and Willie Hills - and IIRC there was also a Barber Shop on the same property.

Barbers in basement and the barber was his son who was also a goalie. In fact I think he was our goalkeeping coach for a time.

jgl07
20-02-2016, 12:08 PM
I know we basically replaced him with McGinlay but I always felt we lost a bit of shape after Hamilton left. I'm pretty sure we did better with Hamilton in the side than with the far better McGinlay.
I would agree that Hamilton was much maligned but I certainly dispute that Hibs did worse without him.

'Passenger Pat' certainly had his faults. He could don his cloak of invisibility and disappear for long periods of time but he was always good for goals from midfield and was an effective player for much of the time. Hibs did much better in 1994-5 with McGinlay in and Hamilton out that in 1993-4.

Brightside
20-02-2016, 12:21 PM

The poor laddie was hung out to dry.

or he just wasn't very good.

Aubenas
20-02-2016, 12:38 PM
Jim Brown, ex Hearts captain, came to us and played well till his career was ended by injury.

On Hartley, his greatest moment for us was when he was booked without playing.

Hibs got a free kick midway in their own half towards the Dunbar End. He was warming up along the track in front of the old main stand at the north end.

Hibs took the kick quickly, but Hartley looked up, thought the ball had just been kicked away, and ran on to the pitch and kicked it back.

Booked for interfering with play and entering pitch without permission!

:hilarious:

EHZERO7
20-02-2016, 12:59 PM
Anyone remember Lawrie Tierney?

79/80 season I think

Edson Arantes
20-02-2016, 01:10 PM
Ralph Callachan

WoreTheGreen
20-02-2016, 01:35 PM
Anyone remember Lawrie Tierney?

79/80 season I think

Yes he was a cousin of mine sadly died couple years ago

ginger_rice
20-02-2016, 01:48 PM
1. Alan Gordon
2. Willie Hamilton
3. Ralph Callachan
4. Jason Cummings
5. Michael Stewart
6. Roy Barry

The rest were all *****.

:thumbsup:

Edson Arantes
21-02-2016, 12:44 PM
Been told many times that Jim Brown never let us down?

Before my time but...

CropleyWasGod
21-02-2016, 07:08 PM
Been told many times that Jim Brown never let us down?

Before my time but...
Stroo.

I know him through work. As a player, he was solid and professional for all the clubs he played for.

Mind you, he never let me forget how much Hearts were on top before we scored in the 7 0 game.

Other posters might have a better memory than me....I seem to recall him scoring for us in a pre-season game for us at Tynie against Man City. He was cheesing that day....:)

whiskyhibby
22-02-2016, 09:11 PM

Completely agree !

Andy74
22-02-2016, 09:22 PM
The poor laddie was pish, nothing to do with man management.

Signed on recommendation from our under 20s guys. We had no one else fit when he had to get out in the team.

The_Horde
22-02-2016, 09:24 PM
Liam Henderson