PDA

View Full Version : Periscope

hibeedonald
18-02-2016, 02:31 PM
A few on here watched the game on periscope thanks to a hearts fan who kindly streamed the game through his mobile phone. Watching them celebrate twice only for it to be chalked off was hilarious.

This is a good idea. I think rangers fans did it aswell. Although irrelevant for this weekend, were we away to alloa or Dumbarton etc, there would be nothing to stop a hibs fan streamimg the game from his phone via the app for those who have to make do with the non existent BBC updates.

All that is needed is a phone with a high quality camera and decent battery life and we should be able to watch most non-televised hibs games.

Geo_1875
18-02-2016, 02:33 PM
A few on here watched the game on periscope thanks to a hearts fan who kindly streamed the game through his mobile phone. Watching them celebrate twice only for it to be chalked off was hilarious.

This is a good idea. I think rangers fans did it aswell. Although irrelevant for this weekend, were we away to alloa or Dumbarton etc, there would be nothing to stop a hibs fan streamimg the game from his phone via the app for those who have to make do with the non existent BBC updates.

All that is needed is a phone with a high quality camera and decent battery life and we should be able to watch most non-televised hibs games.

And some twat stupid enough to pay £22 to spend 90 minutes with his phone above his head.

Anybody volunteering for the Morton game next week?

bod
18-02-2016, 02:39 PM

you buy me the phone & pay for my travel & entrance fee then pie n Bovril and a few pints for my inconvenience then i'll do it for the next home game

CropleyWasGod
18-02-2016, 02:40 PM
There's a legal problem with doing this, Shirley?

Greencore
18-02-2016, 02:46 PM

It's also against the law being sectarian but nothing ever happens to sevco or the other ugly sister. What can happen if lots of people do it? Nothing that's what.

All people would need is a re chargeable battery you can plug your iPhone in or android phone. Also periscope works with a go pro camera through Bluetooth. So you wouldn't be standing about with your phone watching it through that.

I think it's a great idea.

Also you can disable the comments section (as broadcaster) or a viewer.

CropleyWasGod
18-02-2016, 02:51 PM
It's also against the law being sectarian but nothing ever happens to sevco or the other ugly sister. What can happen if lots of people do it? Nothing that's what.

All people would need is a re chargeable battery you can plug your iPhone in or android phone. Also periscope works with a go pro camera through Bluetooth. So you wouldn't be standing about with your phone watching it through that.

I think it's a great idea.

Also you can disable the comments section (as broadcaster) or a viewer.

So someone posts on here, or some other site, that they're doing it. The Club, who of course monitor these sites, will be able to identify them, and take whatever action they see fit.

There's also the moral issue of taking income away from the club.

CallumLaidlaw
18-02-2016, 02:52 PM
I done it for the majority of the first half and had 600 viewers at one point. (the image from the hibs end on this article is from my stream - http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footba...kout-1-4033185 )My battery went from 78% to 9% over the first half tho so I gave up after that. To be honest, it didnt spoil my enjoyment of the game at all. I just rested my elbow on my knee and it seemed to be fine. I had unlimited data too tho - I certainly wouldnt have been doing it on a limited data plan.

edit - wouldnt do it again - was only because it wasnt available on tv for anyone at all.

Ozyhibby
18-02-2016, 02:52 PM
The end of massive amount of money being paid for TV rights will come soon.
You don't need to hold up a phone, you can get head mounted go pro cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibeedonald
18-02-2016, 02:53 PM
So someone posts on here, or some other site, that they're doing it. The Club, who of course monitor these sites, will be able to identify them, and take whatever action they see fit.

I don't think it would take money away from the club if we did it away games which aren't televised.

Greencore
18-02-2016, 02:56 PM
Don't forget, periscopeing football games could bring magic moments like this...

https://youtu.be/cUPq5labjCQ

Lol

CropleyWasGod
18-02-2016, 03:04 PM
I don't think it would take money away from the club if we did it away games which aren't televised.

It might discourage people from taking up HibsTV, no?

bod
18-02-2016, 03:15 PM
but your taking away money from the club your visiting

Geo_1875
18-02-2016, 03:18 PM
I done it for the majority of the first half and had 600 viewers at one point. (the image from the hibs end on this article is from my stream - http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footba...kout-1-4033185 )My battery went from 78% to 9% over the first half tho so I gave up after that. To be honest, it didnt spoil my enjoyment of the game at all. I just rested my elbow on my knee and it seemed to be fine. I had unlimited data too tho - I certainly wouldnt have been doing it on a limited data plan.

edit - wouldnt do it again - was only because it wasnt available on tv for anyone at all.

You must have looked a sight standing in the East like that.

ManBearPig
18-02-2016, 03:23 PM
Don't forget, periscopeing football games could bring magic moments like this...

Lol

It's the 'f0k sake come on the jambos' comment made me laugh the most

hibeedonald
18-02-2016, 03:29 PM
but your taking away money from the club your visiting

Not if we have sold out.
So if the game is sold out, not on Tv and away from home. No one misses out.

CropleyWasGod
18-02-2016, 03:37 PM
Not if we have sold out.
So if the game is sold out, not on Tv and away from home. No one misses out.

If the home club have their own TV service, you're potentially taking away from them.

And you're also potentially taking away from HibsTV.

And you're also setting up the possibility of a "tit-for-tat" approach from supporters of other clubs, who might decide not to come to ER in favour of watching the game on a periscope.

Smartie
18-02-2016, 03:46 PM

Which I am most certainly not in favour of.

What I am in favour of is taking "income" away from watching Gazprom and Amstel adverts during the numerous breaks in Champions League highlights - the kind of ****bags who stop us from selling our product and do f-all but prop up the rich and famous of European football.

Well played yon Jambo fellae on Wednesday who stuck it right up them and gave honest punters who couldn't get tickets the chance to watch their local team in action in a massive game…….

And well played the helmets around him for adding to the occasion with their comments.

BroxburnHibee
18-02-2016, 03:48 PM
I think with the advent of GoPro this is going to start happening a lot more.

These types of thing will evolve and I don't see it as taking revenue from the club. Just as an alternative service. I don't see how clubs can stop it to be honest and I applaud the fans who did this on Tuesday.

HibeeEmma
18-02-2016, 03:55 PM

Cheers for that- enjoyed the first half of the game from the East rather than from some Hearts fan 👍🏻

Benjeloon
18-02-2016, 04:10 PM
There was a bloke a few rows in front of me in the East on Tuesday that recorded the whole game. He must have been streaming it somewhere like periscope, looked like a fairly decent picture he was getting! I'm surprised more people didn't end up on his stream rather than the Hearts fans one as seems to have been the case.

Greencore
18-02-2016, 04:11 PM
I think if people are so concerned about taking money away from the club then the broadcaster who would obviously be a hibby could set up a donation site and give the money to the club that way?

I think what people like about this idea is the rawness, it is like you are actually at the game in the stand.

I'm all for taking the p*ss out of big sports channels

But the poster above me does make a good point about taking the advantage away from hibs tv. But people are going to do it regardless, people love a freebie...

But it's good people might have a choice in the future.

Also want to add periscope is world wide. So hibs would be getting exposer to a world wide audience not just uk or Europe.

CropleyWasGod
18-02-2016, 04:28 PM
I think if people are so concerned about taking money away from the club then the broadcaster who would obviously be a hibby could set up a donation site and give the money to the club that way?

I think what people like about this idea is the rawness, it is like you are actually at the game in the stand.

I'm all for taking the p*ss out of big sports channels

But the poster above me does make a good point about taking the advantage away from hibs tv. But people are going to do it regardless, people love a freebie...

But it's good people might have a choice in the future.

Also want to add periscope is world wide. So hibs would be getting exposer to a world wide audience not just uk or Europe.

I get that. It's like gigs...people like to record the moment (although, personally, that rips my knitting :greengrin)

The Club (and other clubs) will have to play this carefully. They can't be seen to come down hard on all those who film the games, because that just alienates people. However, IMO, they should do if some are making money out of it. Equally so, they will be under pressure from the broadcasters to keep it under control.

As BH says, the situation is evolving, and the solution will make itself known soon enough.

mghibs
18-02-2016, 04:32 PM
As far as I know it would probably be in the same category as the small print on tickets telling you your not allowed to take cameras into stadiums which is now no longer plausible to enforce. I feel that if the relevant people notice this, they will not be best pleased though

Matty_Jack04
18-02-2016, 04:32 PM
I don't see it as something that will catch on is worked on a one off basis because of the size of the game and lack of coverage.

The main issues is why clubs like ours are being forced to miss out on revenue and exposure because of advertising rules regarding the champs league, also why the sfa are scheduling games like that on the same days as champs league knowing the rules it's no wonder we struggle for sponsorships for our tournaments and leagues that's who are loosing us income not the man in the stand with an iPhone

Ozyhibby
18-02-2016, 04:41 PM
So long as it affects everybody I don't care about the club's losing out.
Under the current system Scotland is getting a crap deal.
The biggest losers will be clubs who depend on TV the most and they are all in England. I would not worry one bit about that little house of cards coming down.

Ozyhibby
18-02-2016, 04:46 PM
What has now become clear is that with the Internet, we no longer need the big TV channels. SPFL TV now becomes a lot more viable.
200,000 fans paying £10 a month for access to all the top games in Scotland? That's a lot more money than the current deal brings in.

givescotlandfreedom
18-02-2016, 05:10 PM

Lol

I could watch that for eternity and never stop smiling!

djs69
18-02-2016, 06:06 PM
Had anyone even heard of periscope before Tuesday? I thought wtf

HH81
18-02-2016, 06:10 PM

Nope not heard of it but very good app.

HibbyAndy
18-02-2016, 06:14 PM
The comment 'Spawny barstewrards' By the hearts fan after JC scores is comedy gold. They have carried the luck in nearly every single ****ing derby i have attended! Nothing lucky about the goal that's the hing, A lovely free flowing move with the end product a goal :cb

Viva_Palmeiras
18-02-2016, 06:23 PM

Yes one of my mates is in a band called Mivvi who used it for a recording session so they could connect with fans.

Greencore
18-02-2016, 06:27 PM

Yes, I use it daily and speak to a few people on it. It's a very good app.

KWJ
18-02-2016, 07:47 PM
Like someone said earlier it was a really interesting vantage point and it did feel like being in the ground. For the first half I was watching from the 3 Jambos doing it as well as Callum's and it was great to get so many views from the crowd. A lot depends on the quality of the camera obviously but most of them were very decent, that guys for the goal was probably best and the English Jambo's was good but he moved about a lot, fair enough really!

As technology advances and the quality and battery life becomes better going to the fitbaw could end up being like going to the cinema, nae cameras. Be interesting to see how they stop folk looking at their phones for more than a minute during a game.

When the goal went in I celebrated like mad and then felt like I was about to get a kick in fae the Jambo hordes around me in the stand :greengrin

I don't see it taking away from Hibs TV in instances like this as I was also listening to HibsTV radio and love the other in depth videos they put up. If there is the choice of HibsTV video over a fan on Periscope, or even a few, it'd still be HibsTV until the quality improves enough, which I think it will.

Bristolhibby
18-02-2016, 08:27 PM

PM Board? DMs?

Twitter with an anomous handle?

J

Danderhall Hibs
18-02-2016, 08:28 PM
It might discourage people from taking up HibsTV, no?

They don't/can't show live games for uk based viewers can they?

As for the moral issue nobody's fussed - look at the fuss the CTU thread caused when mentioned how much the club have lost.

silverhibee
18-02-2016, 10:03 PM

Yes.

But is it periscope app or twitter that FIFA will go after to stop it.

I'm sure if you were caught you would be removed from the ground, but if the Police were to charge the person what would the charge be. :confused:

silverhibee
18-02-2016, 10:10 PM
I think with the advent of GoPro this is going to start happening a lot more.

These types of thing will evolve and I don't see it as taking revenue from the club. Just as an alternative service. I don't see how clubs can stop it to be honest and I applaud the fans who did this on Tuesday.

Could people be charged a fee to watch games from someone using periscope at the game.

silverhibee
18-02-2016, 10:14 PM
Nope not heard of it but very good app.

:agree:

Has been about for a while, great wee app. :wink:

Greencore
18-02-2016, 10:25 PM
Could people be charged a fee to watch games from someone using periscope at the game.

Not at all. The thing is people broadcast American football, baseball and basketball on it. I've watched a few baseball games live from the stadium and live on periscope. If they try to stop Scottish or English football being shown on it they will need to stop other sports.

andyf5
18-02-2016, 10:33 PM

I broadcast the whole game and had 6500 viewers. First time on periscope and only did it because wasn't broadcast otherwise. Second half I discovered the zoom which made it better. Lots of thank you's even from Hearts supporters. Battery was at 36% after 100 mins. Samsung j5.

Pete
18-02-2016, 10:42 PM

I hadn't heard of it either until a couple of days ago and now it seems to be everywhere I go online.

For a second I did actually think that people were going up to the ground with periscopes and looking over the fence.

19-02-2016, 01:10 AM

Lol

Comedy gold. Bet he feels a right prat videoing a Hibs goal for the world to see.

Love the "reject" cry - Maybe they need reminded that they kicked JC out their Academy when he was injured as opposed to looking after him through that period. Then when he was fit and started banging in goals they find out Hibs are sniffing so they try and re-sign him only for him to tell them where to go.

The wee man must love scoring against them now. I know I do. :agree: