PDA

View Full Version : Watched the full replay

mutley
18-02-2016, 01:03 PM
Last night I got comfy and watched the whole match reply, as I only had hibs TV commentary on Tuesday.

All I can say is that we looked a lot more comfortable than it sounded at the time . I know it's difficult to be subjective when you know the outcome of the game, however, I think we crumbled for the last 20 mins in the second half but other than that,we should have won it at least 3-0 .

Other observation was well done linesmen, how many games have gone by where those offside goals would have stood?

GGTTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack Hackett
18-02-2016, 01:12 PM
Wilting in the last 20 odd minutes was entirely understandable given the lads were out playing in weather I wouldn't have sent the dog out into on Saturday, whilst the yams had their feet up with a cup of cocoa courtesy of an 'Act of God' (Aye! Right! :rolleyes: ). They handled the fatigue superbly and could (should?) have increased the score to a more deserving difference at the death.

So Pwoud, my balcony overflows :greengrin

Londonhibs
18-02-2016, 01:46 PM
Last night I got comfy and watched the whole match reply, as I only had hibs TV commentary on Tuesday.

All I can say is that we looked a lot more comfortable than it sounded at the time . I know it's difficult to be subjective when you know the outcome of the game, however, I think we crumbled for the last 20 mins in the second half but other than that,we should have won it at least 3-0 .

Other observation was well done linesmen, how many games have gone by where those offside goals would have stood?

GGTTH

I thought that too. The radio commentary (Hibs TV) had me under such stress that I had to go about cleaning the house to try to make the time to the final whistle go by quicker. It didn't work, time slowed down - the kitchen, hallway, toilet were all sparkling clean, I fixed shelves that had been in disrepair for months, walked the dog, redecorated a bedroom. When I watched the highlights they literally only lasted an hour and a half.

Super Leigh
18-02-2016, 01:53 PM
I've only watched the highlights since Tuesday, but on reflection I would agree with that assessment.

Our early goal forced them to open up, and every time we went forward in the first half we genuinely looked like we would score. Cummings and Stokes had excellent chances and we should have been out of sight at half time to be honest.

It was always going to be the case that Hearts would sustain pressure at some point given their convenient wee rest at the weekend. But when you consider how few clear cut chances and shots on target they had, they didn't really threaten us enough and they definitely didn't do enough to deserve anything from the game. I think we showed that if you can cope with their diagonal ball, then they run out of ideas very quickly.

I find it interesting that Neilson talked about our weakness defending the wide areas - I agree that is a weakness of ours when we lose possession - but then decided only to start 1 wide player in Walker, and play him on the left, where he would inevitably look to come inside all the time to the crowded midfield. Hearts only looked dangerous when Paterson made direct runs at our back four - fortunately his final ball is *****e 99 times out of 100 so it wasn't a problem for us.

We were knackered for the last half hour. Stubbs should have made the Boyle for Cummings substitution a lot earlier in my opinion, I don't know why he waits so long to make changes it's so frustrating. Cummings is a great prospect and his goal scoring record speaks for itself, but he has a bit of a habit of disappearing in games - there's times when this is good, there's times when it's not. When your backs are against the wall and you need 11 players hunting the ball, he's not what you need - you need an outlet. Boyle is fast and direct and the perfect type of player for this role. Just look at what happened when Hearts gave the ball away in the last minute, we nearly scored (cannot believe Keatings missed that). And that's not mentioning the benefit of us still having 11 men on the park. The back four were immense in the second half, and Henderson, McGinn and Bartley did well to dig in as they were obviously tiring.

Overall we definitely showed we are the better of the 2 teams in all areas. We offered more going forward than them, and when we needed to defend our lead we did.

Geo_1875
18-02-2016, 02:26 PM
I've only watched the highlights since Tuesday, but on reflection I would agree with that assessment.

Our early goal forced them to open up, and every time we went forward in the first half we genuinely looked like we would score. Cummings and Stokes had excellent chances and we should have been out of sight at half time to be honest.

It was always going to be the case that Hearts would sustain pressure at some point given their convenient wee rest at the weekend. But when you consider how few clear cut chances and shots on target they had, they didn't really threaten us enough and they definitely didn't do enough to deserve anything from the game. I think we showed that if you can cope with their diagonal ball, then they run out of ideas very quickly.

I find it interesting that Neilson talked about our weakness defending the wide areas - I agree that is a weakness of ours when we lose possession - but then decided only to start 1 wide player in Walker, and play him on the left, where he would inevitably look to come inside all the time to the crowded midfield. Hearts only looked dangerous when Paterson made direct runs at our back four - fortunately his final ball is *****e 99 times out of 100 so it wasn't a problem for us.

We were knackered for the last half hour. Stubbs should have made the Boyle for Cummings substitution a lot earlier in my opinion, I don't know why he waits so long to make changes it's so frustrating. Cummings is a great prospect and his goal scoring record speaks for itself, but he has a bit of a habit of disappearing in games - there's times when this is good, there's times when it's not. When your backs are against the wall and you need 11 players hunting the ball, he's not what you need - you need an outlet. Boyle is fast and direct and the perfect type of player for this role. Just look at what happened when Hearts gave the ball away in the last minute, we nearly scored (cannot believe Keatings missed that). And that's not mentioning the benefit of us still having 11 men on the park. The back four were immense in the second half, and Henderson, McGinn and Bartley did well to dig in as they were obviously tiring.

Overall we definitely showed we are the better of the 2 teams in all areas. We offered more going forward than them, and when we needed to defend our lead we did.

Disagree with a couple of your points.

Cummings is a natural finisher and always a danger. He would probably have scored the chances missed by Carmichael and Keatings.

With regard to having 11 men on the park, I have no doubt that the referee would have found another victim had he not been given the opportunity to dismiss Jason. Imagine what the last 20 minutes would have been like had Hanlon, Bartley or Stevenson taken a second yellow card.

cabbageandribs1875
18-02-2016, 02:40 PM
it was a game of two halfs....irrespective of what that f*d neilson thought :aok:

MB62
18-02-2016, 02:50 PM
Last night I got comfy and watched the whole match replay, as I only had hibs TV commentary on Tuesday.

GGTTH

How and where did you manage to see the full game?

Billy Whizz
18-02-2016, 02:50 PM

Hibs Tv

theonlywayisup
18-02-2016, 02:51 PM
Posted this yesterday, but thought the stats should be posted again. Any neutral will agree that Hibs deserved to win the tie.

Possession: HMFC 46% HFC 54% first leg with this reversed in the second leg. We held on and didn't concede. They couldn't.

Shots: HMFC 7 + 9 = 16 HFC 13 + 9 = 22

Shots on target: HMFC 3 + 2 = 5 HFC 5 + 5 = 10

Corners: HMFC 2 + 5 = 7 HFC 8 + 7 = 15

Fouls: HMFC 22 + 16 = 38 HFC 9 + 12 = 21

Goals: HMFC 2 HFC 3

HMFC Losers HFC Winners

mutley
18-02-2016, 02:54 PM

Hibs tv freeview

MB62
18-02-2016, 03:42 PM
Hibs Tv

I have been toying with the idea of signing up for this for a good while now but can't seem to get an answer to the question of 'If I join now, is my membership for a whole year or just until the end of the season'?

Craig_HFC
18-02-2016, 03:43 PM
I have been toying with the idea of signing up for this for a good while now but can't seem to get an answer to the question of 'If I join now, is my membership for a whole year or just until the end of the season'?

Full year; but you can either pay it in a oner or pay a monthly subscription which you can cancel at any time.

MB62
18-02-2016, 03:46 PM
Full year; but you can either pay it in a oner or pay a monthly subscription which you can cancel at any time.

Is it indeed? Thanks very much for that and that has probably made up my mind to join. :thumbsup:

hibbysam
18-02-2016, 03:47 PM

As per the bit in bold, look back at the Hamilton play off game for example. In reality we would have loved to have taken off all our attacking players and shut up shop with fresh legs on the pitch, however all it takes is one slip, they equalise, have loads of attackers on going for a goal, and we have no one capable of finishing. It then goes to penalties and suddenly, again, we are relying on people not ready or used to these situations taking penalties. Unfortunately, the ref decided to lose the plot and start brandishing red cards.

wookie70
18-02-2016, 06:04 PM
Just watched the game again on the back of this thread. Fancied getting Hibs TV for a while as I am always interested to see how accurate my thoughts are at the game.

We created by far the best chances but neither keeper really had much to do. In small patches Hibs really knocked the ball about well in the first half and we created more chances in the second than Hearts did.

Hanlon got booked for nothing as did Bartley. As far Hanlon's, Patterson, who seems immune to getting booked, did a far worse block on Henderson with the ball still within Liam's reach but we never even got a foul. In the lead up to Hanlon's booking Hearts took a quick free kick at least 10 yards away from the foul. Just as I thought at the game Bartley jumped to evade a forceful tackle by Pallardo which was fairer than I thought at the game. No idea how Marv got booked. Thomson looked to have got the ball at the game but his was a worthy yellow.

Hanlon played well but McGregor was superb. He was my MOTM at the game but he played better than I realised. Bartley in contrast was really good but he wasn't as good as I thought at the game. Henderson was everywhere and his ball to Cummings for the one on one was the best pass of the game.

The Hearts players are a disgraceful bunch. Constantly gesticulating at the ref and linesman and crowding round putting pressure on. Cummings, albeit softly, was rightly booked. It was stupid but technically a booking. I'm still unsure if Jason was sent off for kicking the ball away or mouthing off as the ref or linesman never seemed to take any notice until practically the whole Hearts team got in the face of the ref including the goalie and bizarrely Patterson, who never even seen the incident as he had his backed turned, ran 20 yards past it and then went back for a moan. It really nips me that Jason is booked for wasting time when his kicking the ball away wasted about 3 or 4 seconds. From when JC kicked the ball away 50 seconds went by before the card was brandished as Hearts players surrounded the ref and it took more than a minute after the card for the game to restart. Probably more time wasted in that single incedent than was wasted by OX all night. Incidentally, Hearts must have stopped quick free kicks being taken 5 or 6 times and also carried the ball away from incidents and threw it further away on at least one occasion. I would guess Jason only got sent off because Beaton knew he had made a complete mess of the first sending off.

The Hearts boys sending off was even more ridiculous than I thought at the game. Notably Hibs don't even raise an arm in protest.

So on the night the better Team won. Baeton though needs taken off the list for big games. His performance has meant we are three players short for the next round. Hanlon and Bartley should feel extremely aggrieved and Cumming both embarrassed and aggrieved. A good ref would have sent Pallardo off and booked Thomson, Augustyn and Oxley. It was a relatively tame game for a Cup Derby.

matty_f
18-02-2016, 06:13 PM
In hindsight it was much more comfortable than it felt at the time. The stats bear out that we had the best chances - and we definitely did. I can't remember Oxley making a save. We deservedly went into the half time break in front, and in the second half we weathered a bit of a storm and for the last ten minutes (including injury time) I never felt that they would score.

rcarter1
18-02-2016, 08:05 PM
Posted this yesterday, but thought the stats should be posted again. Any neutral will agree that Hibs deserved to win the tie.

Possession: HMFC 46% HFC 54% first leg with this reversed in the second leg. We held on and didn't concede. They couldn't.

Shots: HMFC 7 + 9 = 16 HFC 13 + 9 = 22

Shots on target: HMFC 3 + 2 = 5 HFC 5 + 5 = 10

Corners: HMFC 2 + 5 = 7 HFC 8 + 7 = 15

Fouls: HMFC 22 + 16 = 38 HFC 9 + 12 = 21

Goals: HMFC 2 HFC 3

HMFC Losers HFC Winners :aok:

Pretty compelling stats. I would say though, that their offside goals could have been given (the 1st one looked really tight). Having said that did Cummings not score a tight offside goal in the first leg?

Without doubt the team gave everything to these matches, and in all deserve their place in the Qtrs.

rcarter1
18-02-2016, 08:13 PM
Just watched the game again on the back of this thread. Fancied getting Hibs TV for a while as I am always interested to see how accurate my thoughts are at the game.

We created by far the best chances but neither keeper really had much to do. In small patches Hibs really knocked the ball about well in the first half and we created more chances in the second than Hearts did.

Hanlon got booked for nothing as did Bartley. As far Hanlon's, Patterson, who seems immune to getting booked, did a far worse block on Henderson with the ball still within Liam's reach but we never even got a foul. In the lead up to Hanlon's booking Hearts took a quick free kick at least 10 yards away from the foul. Just as I thought at the game Bartley jumped to evade a forceful tackle by Pallardo which was fairer than I thought at the game. No idea how Marv got booked. Thomson looked to have got the ball at the game but his was a worthy yellow.

Hanlon played well but McGregor was superb. He was my MOTM at the game but he played better than I realised. Bartley in contrast was really good but he wasn't as good as I thought at the game. Henderson was everywhere and his ball to Cummings for the one on one was the best pass of the game.

The Hearts players are a disgraceful bunch. Constantly gesticulating at the ref and linesman and crowding round putting pressure on. Cummings, albeit softly, was rightly booked. It was stupid but technically a booking. I'm still unsure if Jason was sent off for kicking the ball away or mouthing off as the ref or linesman never seemed to take any notice until practically the whole Hearts team got in the face of the ref including the goalie and bizarrely Patterson, who never even seen the incident as he had his backed turned, ran 20 yards past it and then went back for a moan. It really nips me that Jason is booked for wasting time when his kicking the ball away wasted about 3 or 4 seconds. From when JC kicked the ball away 50 seconds went by before the card was brandished as Hearts players surrounded the ref and it took more than a minute after the card for the game to restart. Probably more time wasted in that single incedent than was wasted by OX all night. Incidentally, Hearts must have stopped quick free kicks being taken 5 or 6 times and also carried the ball away from incidents and threw it further away on at least one occasion. I would guess Jason only got sent off because Beaton knew he had made a complete mess of the first sending off.

The Hearts boys sending off was even more ridiculous than I thought at the game. Notably Hibs don't even raise an arm in protest.

So on the night the better Team won. Baeton though needs taken off the list for big games. His performance has meant we are three players short for the next round. Hanlon and Bartley should feel extremely aggrieved and Cumming both embarrassed and aggrieved. A good ref would have sent Pallardo off and booked Thomson, Augustyn and Oxley. It was a relatively tame game for a Cup Derby.

I watched the first half again. Not yet worked up to watching the second.. I agree Bartley seemed untouchable during the game, but rewatching it he looked good, rather than great. At the time I thought we were all over them first half. Rewatching it wasn't quite like that, but as you say we had few moments of really exceptional passing play. No doubt we could have been more than a goal up at that point, but I contend that the Hearts first half 'goal' could easily have been allowed.

As someone who has rewatched the whole game, Im interested in your thoughts on the McGregor penalty shout (10-20 mins in the first half?). Thought it was a pen at the game, then rewatching thought it wasn't, then on rewatching more carefully think it was..??

wookie70
18-02-2016, 09:09 PM
As someone who has rewatched the whole game, Im interested in your thoughts on the McGregor penalty shout (10-20 mins in the first half?). Thought it was a pen at the game, then rewatching thought it wasn't, then on rewatching more carefully think it was..??

Bizarrely my thoughts were the same. At the game I thought he was caught too then on video not so sure. Need a closer look or a different angle. I also thought they had a reasonable shout when Stevenson tangled with Walker twice in the box almost in the same spot. Looked a dodgy challenge at the game and I am in that bit of the west. On review it sill looked dodgy. Once you factor Walker's personal sniper into play and Lewis' reaction then there was probably no contact.

rcarter1
18-02-2016, 09:42 PM
Bizarrely my thoughts were the same. At the game I thought he was caught too then on video not so sure. Need a closer look or a different angle. I also thought they had a reasonable shout when Stevenson tangled with Walker twice in the box almost in the same spot. Looked a dodgy challenge at the game and I am in that bit of the west. On review it sill looked dodgy. Once you factor Walker's personal sniper into play and Lewis' reaction then there was probably no contact.

Just watched the second half again. I know what you mean about the Walker incident - iffy. I have to say Im a fan of a ref that needs a bit of convincing for a penalty.

No doubt about it there were some last ditch challenges by us, but have to say we really defended well. Our ability to keep possession outside of our box in the last 30minutes was not so hot, but it seemed tiredness/nerves had set in. Another example of the spirit in the side to hold out for so long without barely a touch of the ball. Great times! :thumbsup:

wookie70
18-02-2016, 09:55 PM
Just watched the second half again. I know what you mean about the Walker incident - iffy. I have to say Im a fan of a ref that needs a bit of convincing for a penalty.

No doubt about it there were some last ditch challenges by us, but have to say we really defended well. Our ability to keep possession outside of our box in the last 30minutes was not so hot, but it seemed tiredness/nerves had set in. Another example of the spirit in the side to hold out for so long without barely a touch of the ball. Great times! :thumbsup:

I agree with all of that. We got the timing right for most of the last ditch tackles which given our recent schedule is an amazing achievement. I think Hearts tired eventually too as we had plenty of the ball in the injury time. There were a couple of occasions we gave away possession way too easily. Oxleys kicking never helped but there were only a couple of really bad ones. At the game I thought there were more.

Tiredness of mind and body coupled with the momentum Hearts had built up all came into play I suppose. On balance I still think we played more good football, created more good chances and certainly scored a good goal. A good win which was deserved over the two ties. One thing is for sure the Derby is as big as it has been for years and it will be criminal if Hibs and Hearts fans miss out on games like the other night for any length of time.

rcarter1
18-02-2016, 10:01 PM
I agree with all of that. We got the timing right for most of the last ditch tackles which given our recent schedule is an amazing achievement. I think Hearts tired eventually too as we had plenty of the ball in the injury time. There were a couple of occasions we gave away possession way too easily. Oxleys kicking never helped but there were only a couple of really bad ones. At the game I thought there were more.

Tiredness of mind and body coupled with the momentum Hearts had built up all came into play I suppose. On balance I still think we played more good football, created more good chances and certainly scored a good goal. A good win which was deserved over the two ties. One thing is for sure the Derby is as big as it has been for years and it will be criminal if Hibs and Hearts fans miss out on games like the other night for any length of time.

Aye, both clubs have good teams, and the contrast in their strengths makes for intriguing matches. As you say we made a few decent chances second half - in amongst the barrage of pressure from them, so we could have made it 2 well before the end. Im really believeing that we will go up one way or another, there could be some cracking games with them next season. Its been a long time, but Edinburgh football is getting exciting again.

wookie70
18-02-2016, 10:09 PM
Aye, both clubs have good teams, and the contrast in their strengths makes for intriguing matches. As you say we made a few decent chances second half - in amongst the barrage of pressure from them, so we could have made it 2 well before the end. Im really believeing that we will go up one way or another, there could be some cracking games with them next season. Its been a long time, but Edinburgh football is getting exciting again.

Agreed. It has been a long time since Hibs and Hearts fans felt good about their clubs at the same time. No reason it can't continue for a long time. The sooner the Old Firm get knocked off their perches on a regular basis the better.