PDA

View Full Version : If you took someone to their first Hibs game on Tuesday, how did they enjoy it?

hibs0666
18-02-2016, 09:56 AM
How did any new Hibbys enjoy the game, and are they coming back for more?

LustForLeith
18-02-2016, 10:45 AM
Not so much his first game but it was my son's fifth game. Bearing in mind one of his previous games was the Hamilton game when we got relegated.

He loved it. He's only nine but told me he was a Hearts fan after they won the league last year. Then in the summer whilst on holiday we watched the Hibs and Rangers Challenge Cup game in a pub at which point he declared his was a Rangers fan and even although it was a cup game he started to sign "Oh the Hibees are going down!"

After a bit of, er, gentle persuasion from the likes of myself and his granddad especially, he's now a fully fledged Hibs fan.

On a slight tangent he went to the HIbs and St Mirren game earlier this season. His cousin plays with the Hibs kids sessions that they have on a Saturday morning so he went along to see his cousin come out at half time for a kick about.

On the morning of the game I was at work so I Tweeted that my son was going to Easter Road, saying I hope this converts him from a Hearts fan to a Hibs fan.

I mentioned the official Hibs twitter name in it and the club got in touch. They offered my son the chance to meet the players after the game to get some autographs. My son and his granddad were delighted with this and he's still got the programe from that day even although he's not sure who exactly signed it!

After that Hamilton game I decided I'd had enough of Hibs. The club were sliding into the Championship and I could only see things getting worse before they got remotely better. But slowly I've started to fall back in love with Hibs. Stuff like them getting in touch to arrange it for my son to meet the players is probably something which is quite small to them but makes a difference to fans. It's good to see that the club understand there was challenges on and off the pitch, and they're doing all they can to face these and overcome them.

So will my son be back? I hope so. I'm getting him a half season ticket tomorrow!

Hibbyradge
18-02-2016, 10:52 AM
Great story, L for L.

Thanks for sharing it.

hibee_girl
18-02-2016, 10:53 AM
Not someone's first game but my Grandad couldn't make it on Tuesday so my wee cousin game along instead, he gave up his season ticket after we got relegated and even during that season he barely used it.

So Tuesday was the first time he's been back to Easter Road in just under 2 years, I don't think he'll be waiting another 2 years to come back :greengrin

hibs0666
18-02-2016, 11:27 AM
Splendid :thumbsup:

Hibs Class
18-02-2016, 11:42 AM
I took one of my colleagues, he's from London and follows Arsenal but since moving to Scotland hasn't been to any games. He bought a scarf in the clubstore before going in, was amazed at the atmosphere, impressed with Hibs esp. in the first half and couldn't stop taking about the game yesterday at work. He's already asked to go to the final with me as well, and I'm pretty sure he's developing a good enough dislike for hearts.

Fife-Hibee
18-02-2016, 12:13 PM
I took one of my colleagues, he's from London and follows Arsenal but since moving to Scotland hasn't been to any games. He bought a scarf in the clubstore before going in, was amazed at the atmosphere, impressed with Hibs esp. in the first half and couldn't stop taking about the game yesterday at work. He's already asked to go to the final with me as well, and I'm pretty sure he's developing a good enough dislike for hearts.

Good stuff :-)

Oscar T Grouch
18-02-2016, 12:20 PM
I took my wee cousin to her first Hibs game, unfortunately it was the Malmo game :rolleyes: This sort of put her off, she was still a Hibee but not really interested in going (She been to Old Trafford more than Easter Road!). I got her a ticket for the game on Tuesday and she was amazed and loved it (her words were "That was the most intense 90 minutes of my life!!), she wants a ST for next season now. She is also coming to the final, and any other games I can get her along too.

I told her she has seen the two extremes of being a Hibs fan, if she gets on board now and comes every week she will love it, there is something special going on at Hibs, I said it when LD came to the club and my opinion has not changed, I think the coming years are going to be the best I have seen in my lifetime. So we have at least one more ST holder next season just from the performance on Tuesday :thumbsup:

hibs0666
18-02-2016, 01:01 PM
I took my wee cousin to her first Hibs game, unfortunately it was the Malmo game :rolleyes: This sort of put her off, she was still a Hibee but not really interested in going (She been to Old Trafford more than Easter Road!). I got her a ticket for the game on Tuesday and she was amazed and loved it (her words were "That was the most intense 90 minutes of my life!!), she wants a ST for next season now. She is also coming to the final, and any other games I can get her along too.

I told her she has seen the two extremes of being a Hibs fan, if she gets on board now and comes every week she will love it, there is something special going on at Hibs, I said it when LD came to the club and my opinion has not changed, I think the coming years are going to be the best I have seen in my lifetime. So we have at least one more ST holder next season just from the performance on Tuesday :thumbsup:

TBH I reckon intense is a magic description of that game. Dunno how many heart attacks I had in that second half.

The_Sauz
18-02-2016, 01:20 PM
TBH I reckon intense is a magic description of that game. Dunno how many heart attacks I had in that second half.
Just glad they were like the other Heart attacks on tuesday.....they came to nothing!! :greengrin

Future17
18-02-2016, 01:26 PM
My girlfriend had never even been to a football match before (unless you count "hospitality" at Arbroath!) but told me she wanted to come to the League Cup Final. I refused on the basis that she hasn't had to endure any of the pain and misery which make these occasions so special. :greengrin

When the Hearts game went to a replay, she asked if she could go to that and I agreed. She loved it.

I find it quite strange because I wouldn't have said it was a particularly good game but, as others have alluded to, it was probably the atmosphere that was the main factor. She's shared the SoL clip from Sky Sports with all her family and friends and I think she's proud to have been part of that. She's already asked when she can go to another game.

It was all very well-timed from a selfish point of view as well, as I was able to but her Valentine's Day present from the Club Store! :greengrin

iwasthere1972
18-02-2016, 01:50 PM
Not her first game but took my sister to her first Edinburgh derby. The only two previous games she had been to was the 2-1 win against Sevco at ER in November and the League Cup win against St Johnstone at Tynecastle a couple of weeks ago. She's loved them all. She's also 'friendly' with a Jambo so was all the more pleasing for her on Tuesday night. Not sure if I should be saying Pleasing. :greengrin

Three wins out of three. She's definitely coming to the final next month. :wink:

ArmadaleHibs
18-02-2016, 06:35 PM
Took my laddie to his first Derby. He's been all over the country watching Hibs games and seen most sides but this was the first time he seen the unwashed half of Edinburgh.

He's enjoyed a fair few great days out including the Falkirk come back and his favourite game up until Tuesday was the Scottish cup win at killie a couple of seasons ago were the atmosphere was fantastic.

I only told him he was going at around 3 o'clock on Tuesday. To say he was cheezin is an understatement.

We left Armadale early enough to enjoy the whole night. He wore his Hibs scarf with the biggest smile any 12 year old could muster.

He loved every single part of the game and was blown away by the atmosphere. He's still smiling two days later and talks of nothing else.

I'm so so glad his first Derby ended in such a fantastic experience.

Ggtth

MKHIBEE
18-02-2016, 06:40 PM
It was my wife's first Hibs game and she loved it, she still has not got her voice back properly yet.

PISTOL1875
18-02-2016, 07:11 PM
I got a ticket for a guy I know who was up from down south.. Big Forest fan.. He really enjoyed the whole Edinburgh Derby experience and loved SOL at the end..

He did however , go into great detail about the way the second half went and Stubbs inability to come up with a plan B to try and constant waves of attacks by Hertz...

Ronniekirk
18-02-2016, 07:26 PM
Took my 27 year old daughter to her first game in a while .Wemt though early some grub in the Mash Tun which she was impressed with ,a wander down to the office for a pre match drink and sing song ,,in the ground early to enjoy the build up .
Went mental when we scored and was on tender hooks thinking they would eventually score Said she hadn't enjoyed a Hibs game so much,but here's the rub she didn't think we were that great
She has obviously erased the Hamilton game at Easter Rd from her mind

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

H18 SFR
18-02-2016, 09:30 PM
We took two Ayr Utd fans with us, they absolutely loved it. We are returning next week again as a group.

TObeachesHibby
19-02-2016, 08:38 AM
Took my son Adam when he was 4 to Hibs v St Mirren about 5? years ago ... Wotherspoon was playing for Hibs . Hibs won 2-1.
He didn't remember much , but now he is older and plays in a team , Xbox Fifa 16 etc he wants to go back .. Better get our plane tickets...:wink:

Craig_HFC
19-02-2016, 08:44 AM
Took my mate who's from Leeds but lives up here. He's been living here for maybe 3/4 years and has been to a few Hibs games before but Tuesday was his first in a while. He loved it.

He's coming to the game on Sunday too and talking about getting a season ticket next year too.

Frazerbob
19-02-2016, 10:48 AM
It was my wife's first Hibs game and she loved it, she still has not got her voice back properly yet.

Just when you thought Derby Day couldn't get any better eh! :wink:

Iceman1875
19-02-2016, 11:16 AM
Not the hearts game but the St Mirren game 3 weeks ago when we won 3-1. My sister, who hates football and everything that goes with it came to the game with me. She LOVED it! She lives two minutes from ER and will be back!

The highlight of her day, the bloody drum from the East stand [emoji23]

At Easter Road we play...

hibs0666
19-02-2016, 01:38 PM
Took my mate who's from Leeds but lives up here. He's been living here for maybe 3/4 years and has been to a few Hibs games before but Tuesday was his first in a while. He loved it.

He's coming to the game on Sunday too and talking about getting a season ticket next year too.

Think I may well have been talking to your mate in the queue at the bar at the Hibs club.

WoreTheGreen
19-02-2016, 02:25 PM
Think I may well have been talking to your mate in the queue at the bar at the Hibs club.

A Yorkshire man in a queue at a bar next thing you will be telling me potter does'nt pick and sign the players ha ha

Craig_HFC
19-02-2016, 02:45 PM

Good chance it was him!

I managed to convince a couple of people that he'd been an extra in Emmerdale a few times, then they asked him what it was like being in a soap and he had no idea what they were on about.

It amused me quite a bit.

:greengrin

hibs0666
19-02-2016, 04:22 PM
A Yorkshire man in a queue at a bar next thing you will be telling me potter does'nt pick and sign the players ha ha

To be fair, he was in tears right enough. :wink:

Coco Bryce
19-02-2016, 04:30 PM
Took my 8 year old to his first derby on Tuesday he absolutely loved it, he was buzzing in the car going home singing songs and everything.

Been trying to get him into Hibs and football in general lately and believe me it's been hard.

He's now been to about 10 games now and never saw us loose yet :flag:

wookie70
19-02-2016, 04:46 PM
He's now been to about 10 games now and never saw us loose yet :flag:

My two got their season tickets when Fenlon came in. It was unusual to see us win at all at ER back then. They are still ST holders and have been to quite a few away games too but they are still not quite hooked like I was at their age. Kids have got so much these days to fill there time that it is sometimes hard to get them to go to a game when the weather is rubbish. My lad is getting there and his wee buddy, Tom, that we take is totally hooked. My daughter is a fair weather, good atmosphere, when Hibs are winning type of supporter and needs dragged along. I dare say she is more representative of the majority of Hibs supporters than me or Tom.

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2016, 04:56 PM
I took my mate Moray on Tuesday, he had been before but that was years ago. It looked like he thoroughly enjoyed himself and he's thinking of going to the final now. :top marks

Sergey
19-02-2016, 05:07 PM
I took my mate Moray on Tuesday, he had been before but that was years ago. It looked like he thoroughly enjoyed himself and he's thinking of going to the final now. :top marks 

:greengrin 

Quality

southern hibby
19-02-2016, 06:08 PM
I took myself to the game and thoroughly loved it. Not missed a game in a long time and it's obviously not my first, but it's nights like that I crave and dream about.

If you can you should try and go to every home game as with more money in the pot for Stubbsy, then more chance of signing quality and more nights like Tuesday's.

I'm sorry to the Op for high jacking this thread and rambling on but every game I go to feels like my first and I get that buzz, butterflies anticipation feeling and it's my drug.

GGTTH

hibs0666
19-02-2016, 06:15 PM
I love it to mate - totally know where you are coming from. 😄

happiehibbie
19-02-2016, 06:27 PM
I took my sons girlfriend for Macclesfield she loved it. The issue is she thinks it's like that all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HibbyAndy
19-02-2016, 06:29 PM
I've managed to get one 'not sure who to support hibs or hearts' into a now dyed in the wool hibs fan, Every little helps.

Jones28
19-02-2016, 07:25 PM
It was my fiancée first Derby and she loved it! Not sure about the side of me she saw that night however haha

DeliriousNomaD
20-02-2016, 10:13 PM
I'm a Par/BVB fan, but have soft spot for Hibs being that I'm from Tranent, so they are my closest "big team". Took my wee boy to the game cos he was naggin me and all his mates are Hibbys.

Would prefer he supported the Pars, but happy to take him to see the Hibs. Anyway, he absolutely loved it and was jumping about like a daftie, as was I to be fair :wink:, when Hibs scored. Think he was converted and he made me buy him a scarf :rolleyes: Still gonna try and get him to be a Par, but if it's the Hibs, fair enough. Just glad it's no Hearts.

All the best for the rest of the season guys

Forza Fred
20-02-2016, 10:30 PM

Careful, he can misbehave from time to time.

Hibernian Verse
20-02-2016, 10:40 PM
I took my girlfriend to her first game in 2014 to Tynecastle. We lost 2-1 and she wasnt keen. Took me till Valentines 2015 to get her back to a game nd she went to the 2-0 game at Ibrox. She loved it and follows us away from home now (cant get a season beside me and my family and we cant move till next season).

Best of all her family are all sevco fans and are completely spewing now that she loves the Hibees!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Forza Fred
20-02-2016, 10:44 PM
Couldn't make the game for obvious reasons of distance,but followed it kick by kick, from Hibsnet on my PC and Kickback on my IPad.

Did manage to join in sunshine on leith though as my brother phoned me at final whistle.

Talk about Hibs Interactive!

et_hibby
20-02-2016, 10:55 PM
I took my sons girlfriend for Macclesfield she loved it. The issue is she thinks it's like that all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It probably should be.

et_hibby
20-02-2016, 10:56 PM
I've managed to get one 'not sure who to support hibs or hearts' into a now dyed in the wool hibs fan, Every little helps.
Well done man

et_hibby
20-02-2016, 10:58 PM
I'm a Par/BVB fan, but have soft spot for Hibs being that I'm from Tranent, so they are my closest "big team". Took my wee boy to the game cos he was naggin me and all his mates are Hibbys.

Would prefer he supported the Pars, but happy to take him to see the Hibs. Anyway, he absolutely loved it and was jumping about like a daftie, as was I to be fair :wink:, when Hibs scored. Think he was converted and he made me buy him a scarf :rolleyes: Still gonna try and get him to be a Par, but if it's the Hibs, fair enough. Just glad it's no Hearts.

Cheers! And to el Pars.

FranckSuzy
20-02-2016, 11:00 PM

Nice one :thumbsup: All the best to The Pars too :aok:

monktonharp
20-02-2016, 11:02 PM

All the best for the rest of the season guys:aok:

Ringothedog
20-02-2016, 11:21 PM
Took my grandson from Telford to his first football game ever and he loved it