PDA

View Full Version : "Bright future on Leith..."

Keith_M
18-02-2016, 07:44 AM
There's a very complimentary article about Hibs in today's Herald. Very much worth a read.

LINK (http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14283917.Bright_future_on_Leith_becoming_a_reality _as_Hibs_fans_proclaim_their_heroes/)

:aok:

brog
18-02-2016, 07:55 AM
There's a very complimentary article about Hibs in today's Herald. Very much worth a read.

LINK (http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14283917.Bright_future_on_Leith_becoming_a_reality _as_Hibs_fans_proclaim_their_heroes/)

Very good! Thanks for posting!*

Onceinawhile
18-02-2016, 07:57 AM

Surprised to find we only signed Bartley in January.

hibees59
18-02-2016, 09:40 AM
Surprised to find we only signed Bartley in January.

I'm sure we signed him last summer on a 2 year deal.

Yorkshire HFC
18-02-2016, 09:49 AM
It'll be brighter when we're out of this league - the play offs are a lottery - hopefully the players can just push through to the end of the season and end it top of the league. That would be success.

matty_f
18-02-2016, 09:50 AM
Really good article, thoroughly enjoyed reading that.

Leithwalk
18-02-2016, 09:58 AM
If it's not too long, could someone copy and paste please - I am not allowed to read beyond the third para without subscribing as I have read three articles in last 4 weeks. After the Graham Spiers fiasco, I don't feel like sending any money the their direction. And because of that fiasco, a number of others are likely to be in the same boat as there was much looking up of the Herald being done at that time.

Peevemor
18-02-2016, 10:00 AM
Bright future on Leith becoming a reality as Hibs fans proclaim their heroes
YOU would have required a heart of stone, or perhaps a Hearts season ticket, to remain unmoved by the sound of the Proclaimers booming over the public address system at an utterly euphoric Easter Road on Tuesday night. Twenty months ago, though, when it came to the subject of their favourite football club, these die-hard Hibee twins were making rather less harmonious noises.
Charlie Reid had made common cause with fellow malcontents such as former Hibs player Paul Kane as anger swelled against chairman Rod Petrie in the wake of the club's last gasp relegation via the play-offs against Hamilton Accies. There were car park demonstrations against manager Terry Butcher, and genuine talk of withholding season-ticket money, of forcing regime change and starting again.
Yet here we are now. Whatever happens in the remainder of this season, Tuesday night was one of those moments where you just had to stand back and recognise that something remarkable is happening.

In fact, this season has seen a glut of such occasions. Think Leicester City beating Manchester City a fortnight ago to open up a five-point gap at the top of the Barclays Premier League. Or Tottenham beating Manchester City at the same venue one week later, breathing life into their hopes of a first English top flight title for half a century. The Scottish equivalent arrived in the wake of Jason Cummings' third minute goal which knocked Hearts out of the William Hill Scottish Cup.

With a League Cup final appearance in the bag, and a fighting chance of Ladbrokes Championship victory, the impossible dream continues. But whatever transpires from here on in, Hibs are already winners when it comes to the complete reconnection of a community with a football club.
"We talk about fans’ numbers dwindling and it’s not easy right now with the way things are," said manager Alan Stubbs, fresh from taking a post-match bow which met with a huge roar of approval. "But we’ve got a full house of nearly 20,000 which is a sign of how much the fans are appreciating the team right now. That's the biggest compliment that they can be given."

Stubbs is rightly lauded for his part in it all. It was he who first articulated these ambitions, even if he seemed a bit unsure how to verbalise them. Presaging his answer with 'I don't want to read headlines about how we we can do the treble', he then went on to say that indeed his Hibs team did plan to be competitive in all three competitions this season. If anyone was scoffing then, they certainly aren't now.
This new sense of hope around this club even has a resilient quality. The positivity around Easter Road has endured occasions such as last season's play-off reverse to Rangers, or say the 4-2 defeat at Ibrox over the festive period or last Saturday's goalless draw at Livingston. The championship race may yet prove too much for them - with fixtures mounting up, the potentially pivotal meeting with the Ibrox side will not now take place till mid-April - but on this form there is little to suggest Hibs' title hopes won't still be alive by then.
While Stubbs is carving out a name in management, chief executive Leeann Dempster has performed the kind of quiet miracles which belied suggestions that working with Petrie would quickly become a poisoned chalice. Even the Liverpudlian seemed genuinely amazed this January by the quality of their recruitment. If the assets which Anthony Stokes possesses is clear enough, the worth of midfield re-inforcements Marvin Bartley and Kevin Thomson was also clear for all to see on Tuesday night. With Fraser Fyvie and Dylan McGeouch injured, they hardly skipped a beat. Even when bravery and brawn became the order of the day, rather than passing and movement, they still measured up to the task.
"We are the only team still in three competitions," said Darren McGregor, a long-suffering, dyed-in-the-wool Hibee, who was another shrewd signing back in the summer. "We have Alloa next on Sunday but this is a result to be celebrated. We were hanging on and they were putting pressure on us but to see it out and hear the stadium singing Sunshine on Leith was one the best memories I’ve had in football."
You can reel off 18 first-team players without any discernible drop-off in quality but the star turn right now has to be John McGinn, the midfielder who somehow avoided the interest of any bigger clubs in the food chain when he departed St Mirren last summer. This is a player who turned Gordon Strachan's eye and earned the commendation of Scott Brown when locking horns with him in the colours of the Paisley side, a player who will surely be upgraded to the Scotland full squad in time to feature in the World Cup campaign.
"I definitely feel as if I have taken it to another level," said McGinn. "But it is something I want to keep doing, keep improving again, keep learning from good pros. I was made aware at the time [of the League Cup win with St Mirren] that they don't come around too often but that made me hungry for more.
"We have got some exciting games to look forward to and I am just glad to be part of it," he added. "We are the only club still in three major competitions. We are not going to give up, we just want to tick the games off."
Share article
(http://www.heraldscotland.com/my/account/emailthispage/?title=Bright%20future%20on%20Leith%20becoming%20a %20reality%20as%20Hibs%20fans%20proclaim%20their%2 0heroes%20(From%20Herald%20Scotland)) (http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14283917.print/)

Who knows, it may all just be an improbable dream. Hibs could wake up at any moment. Ross County, in the League Cup final, just deservedly disposed of Celtic, while Inverness, in the Scottish Cup, are fresh from making mincemeat of Aberdeen. Rangers are in the box seat when it comes to the league. Leicester and Spurs may fall by the wayside too. But there is a momentum growing at Hibs which is taking on a life of its own.
They still play the Hibs way, but no longer is there an acceptance that it is also in the club's DNA to be romantically fated as the perennial nearly men of Scottish football. Aberdeen, Dundee United, St Johnstone and Hearts will attest to that. Hibs are on a journey. Only their final destination remains unclear.

Leithwalk
18-02-2016, 10:29 AM
Great stuff - thanks Peevemor (hope I spelled that rite)

NAE NOOKIE
18-02-2016, 10:39 AM
Its great to read so much positive stuff about Hibs its thoroughly deserved, but to win stuff and succeed in the end the last thing you need to be doing is getting carried away by the hype.

Any Hibs team that wins a trophy goes down in club history as one of the greats ..... in the 140 year history of this club we have won 9 major honours, that's one every fifteen years, so how can it be any other way.

Our first ( possibly only ) shot comes on the 13th of March against Ross County and what worries me is that their achievement of getting to the final appears to be getting overlooked as the media gush over us. Apart from beating Ayr Utd, they thrashed Falkirk 7 - 0, won their own derby away at ICT and beat Celtic 3 - 1 at Hampden in a match where their team spirit and ability on the break was clear to see.

The last thing we need is another Livingston situation where our achievement of knocking out both ugly sisters on the way to the final had folk so confident that on the way to Hampden they were practically at the stage of asking .... 'who is it we're playing again?'

Its who turns up on the day that counts in finals and if any club needs that truth hammered into it, its us ....... I'm sure Stubbsy will be reminding his players of that fact in the next few weeks.

Ozyhibby
18-02-2016, 10:43 AM
If it's not too long, could someone copy and paste please - I am not allowed to read beyond the third para without subscribing as I have read three articles in last 4 weeks. After the Graham Spiers fiasco, I don't feel like sending any money the their direction. And because of that fiasco, a number of others are likely to be in the same boat as there was much looking up of the Herald being done at that time.

If you ever want to read a full article from the herald, cut and paste the headline and put it through Google. It will come up on the search and the Herald will let you read as you have came to them via Google.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCNG
18-02-2016, 01:46 PM
Bright future on Leith becoming a reality as Hibs fans proclaim their heroes
YOU would have required a heart of stone, or perhaps a Hearts season ticket, to remain unmoved by the sound of the Proclaimers booming over the public address system at an utterly euphoric Easter Road on Tuesday night. Twenty months ago, though, when it came to the subject of their favourite football club, these die-hard Hibee twins were making rather less harmonious noises.
Charlie Reid had made common cause with fellow malcontents such as former Hibs player Paul Kane as anger swelled against chairman Rod Petrie in the wake of the club's last gasp relegation via the play-offs against Hamilton Accies. There were car park demonstrations against manager Terry Butcher, and genuine talk of withholding season-ticket money, of forcing regime change and starting again.
Yet here we are now. Whatever happens in the remainder of this season, Tuesday night was one of those moments where you just had to stand back and recognise that something remarkable is happening.

In fact, this season has seen a glut of such occasions. Think Leicester City beating Manchester City a fortnight ago to open up a five-point gap at the top of the Barclays Premier League. Or Tottenham beating Manchester City at the same venue one week later, breathing life into their hopes of a first English top flight title for half a century. The Scottish equivalent arrived in the wake of Jason Cummings' third minute goal which knocked Hearts out of the William Hill Scottish Cup.

With a League Cup final appearance in the bag, and a fighting chance of Ladbrokes Championship victory, the impossible dream continues. But whatever transpires from here on in, Hibs are already winners when it comes to the complete reconnection of a community with a football club.
"We talk about fans’ numbers dwindling and it’s not easy right now with the way things are," said manager Alan Stubbs, fresh from taking a post-match bow which met with a huge roar of approval. "But we’ve got a full house of nearly 20,000 which is a sign of how much the fans are appreciating the team right now. That's the biggest compliment that they can be given."

Stubbs is rightly lauded for his part in it all. It was he who first articulated these ambitions, even if he seemed a bit unsure how to verbalise them. Presaging his answer with 'I don't want to read headlines about how we we can do the treble', he then went on to say that indeed his Hibs team did plan to be competitive in all three competitions this season. If anyone was scoffing then, they certainly aren't now.
This new sense of hope around this club even has a resilient quality. The positivity around Easter Road has endured occasions such as last season's play-off reverse to Rangers, or say the 4-2 defeat at Ibrox over the festive period or last Saturday's goalless draw at Livingston. The championship race may yet prove too much for them - with fixtures mounting up, the potentially pivotal meeting with the Ibrox side will not now take place till mid-April - but on this form there is little to suggest Hibs' title hopes won't still be alive by then.
While Stubbs is carving out a name in management, chief executive Leeann Dempster has performed the kind of quiet miracles which belied suggestions that working with Petrie would quickly become a poisoned chalice. Even the Liverpudlian seemed genuinely amazed this January by the quality of their recruitment. If the assets which Anthony Stokes possesses is clear enough, the worth of midfield re-inforcements Marvin Bartley and Kevin Thomson was also clear for all to see on Tuesday night. With Fraser Fyvie and Dylan McGeouch injured, they hardly skipped a beat. Even when bravery and brawn became the order of the day, rather than passing and movement, they still measured up to the task.
"We are the only team still in three competitions," said Darren McGregor, a long-suffering, dyed-in-the-wool Hibee, who was another shrewd signing back in the summer. "We have Alloa next on Sunday but this is a result to be celebrated. We were hanging on and they were putting pressure on us but to see it out and hear the stadium singing Sunshine on Leith was one the best memories I’ve had in football."
You can reel off 18 first-team players without any discernible drop-off in quality but the star turn right now has to be John McGinn, the midfielder who somehow avoided the interest of any bigger clubs in the food chain when he departed St Mirren last summer. This is a player who turned Gordon Strachan's eye and earned the commendation of Scott Brown when locking horns with him in the colours of the Paisley side, a player who will surely be upgraded to the Scotland full squad in time to feature in the World Cup campaign.
"I definitely feel as if I have taken it to another level," said McGinn. "But it is something I want to keep doing, keep improving again, keep learning from good pros. I was made aware at the time [of the League Cup win with St Mirren] that they don't come around too often but that made me hungry for more.
"We have got some exciting games to look forward to and I am just glad to be part of it," he added. "We are the only club still in three major competitions. We are not going to give up, we just want to tick the games off."
Share article
(http://www.heraldscotland.com/my/account/emailthispage/?title=Bright%20future%20on%20Leith%20becoming%20a %20reality%20as%20Hibs%20fans%20proclaim%20their%2 0heroes%20(From%20Herald%20Scotland)) (http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14283917.print/)

Who knows, it may all just be an improbable dream. Hibs could wake up at any moment. Ross County, in the League Cup final, just deservedly disposed of Celtic, while Inverness, in the Scottish Cup, are fresh from making mincemeat of Aberdeen. Rangers are in the box seat when it comes to the league. Leicester and Spurs may fall by the wayside too. But there is a momentum growing at Hibs which is taking on a life of its own.
They still play the Hibs way, but no longer is there an acceptance that it is also in the club's DNA to be romantically fated as the perennial nearly men of Scottish football. Aberdeen, Dundee United, St Johnstone and Hearts will attest to that. Hibs are on a journey. Only their final destination remains unclear.

Are Ross County mathematically out of the title race in their league? If not, I don't think we should be saying we are the only team still in 3 major comps with a chance of winning them. Although unlikely that RC will win the Premiership, its a bit disrespectful, unless I've missed something.

Leithwalk
18-02-2016, 04:00 PM
If you ever want to read a full article from the herald, cut and paste the headline and put it through Google. It will come up on the search and the Herald will let you read as you have came to them via Google.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great - Hun-friendly paper won't get any more of my cash. Thanks

Keith_M
20-02-2016, 11:31 AM
If you have a problem reading the Herald articles, you just need to clear some cookies in your browser then refresh the page.

e.g. In Firefox (n Windows)

Tools - Options - Privacy - remove individual cookies - type 'Herald' into the search field - Remove All - Close... Then go back to the page and press F5

et voila, three more full articles for free.

:greengrin

hibsbollah
20-02-2016, 02:15 PM
It's a very good article, although if it was about Hearts I'd be grumbling that it was sycophantic☺ The guy poses a good question that I've wondered too... How did a talent like McGinn stay unnoticed by the bigger clubs? A simple case of better scouting by us or was it just that JM was widely thought to have potential but not shown it often enough?

HibsNutter
20-02-2016, 02:27 PM
It'll be brighter when we're out of this league - the play offs are a lottery - hopefully the players can just push through to the end of the season and end it top of the league. That would be success.

No, they are not, the best team should triumph, and we are the best team. Nothing that takes place on a football pitch is a 'lottery', not even penalties.

et_hibby
20-02-2016, 11:05 PM
terrific article!!!

et_hibby
20-02-2016, 11:08 PM
It's a very good article, although if it was about Hearts I'd be grumbling that it was sycophantic☺ The guy poses a good question that I've wondered too... How did a talent like McGinn stay unnoticed by the bigger clubs? A simple case of better scouting by us or was it just that JM was widely thought to have potential but not shown it often enough?
Agathe? Novo? similar situations at the time,?

The_Exile
20-02-2016, 11:32 PM
No, they are not, the best team should triumph, and we are the best team. Nothing that takes place on a football pitch is a 'lottery', not even penalties.

You're bang on the money there mate, you make your own luck.